home
RSS
September 14th, 2010

Mira Sorvino finds faith in new movie

Editor's Note: Academy Award winning actress Mira Sorvino sat down with CNN's Belief Blog to talk about her new film Like Dandelion Dust. The film is based on the book by Christian author Karen Kingsbury. CNN's Chris Ford filed this report.

Academy Award winning actress Mira Sorvino is the star of the latest film aimed at the faith community. Sorvino says she found faith in the story of a mother who gave her child up for adoption but has decided to try and get him back.

While not overtly a religious film, Sorvino says "Like Dandelion Dust" contains religious values: forgiveness, love, and redemption. Watch what she had say in our interview.

The film also stars Barry Pepper, Cole Hauser, Kate Levering, and Maxwell Perry Cotton and is directed by Jon Gunn. It is rated PG-13 for mature thematic material including domestic violence and alcohol abuse. It will be playing in select theaters Sept. 24.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Art • Christianity

1. colin cadorette

I don't care what she's in. she's always great at what she does. its just a movie. its not real life.people need to get a grip on things.every ones so angry in the world today they need to lighten upits only entertainment!freedom to see and enjoy.if you don't like it don't watch it,end of story!!!!

September 14, 2010 at 5:54 pm |
  2. Marilyn

Oh my gosh, I've read a lot of these comments, some I agree with, some I am definitely apposed to. First and foremost, without accepting that Jesus was who He said He was, the one and only Son of God, that He did indeed die and rose again on the third day, ascend into Heaven and is sitting at the right hand of God because He loved us so much that He was willing to give his life for us. That is the only way we can be saved and spend eternity in Heaven. For those of you who don't believe this, I believe that you will be proven wrong on judgment day. WE are all sinners, we all fall short, we all make mistakes, but through the grace of God, with His help we are able to pick ourselves up and start again, and again, and again. For those of you who don't believe, why don't you just try Him, and see. For those of you who believe that we are born with goodness, kindness etc., you are so wrong...because as a child we want our own way, as a child it's a "me, mine, I" we have to learn those qualities. Some of us do, some never do. The Bible is an inspired book, yes it was written by man, but directed by God. How can you look around you and not believe? Do you think that we all came from one little micro organism? Plants, animals, humans alike? Who placed the stars, moon, sun in the sky? Can you see the wind? No, but you can sure hear and feel it. Can you add one day to your life without the hand of God? He is the great I AM, and He is who He says He is. Creation proves that.

September 14, 2010 at 5:47 pm |
    • ScottK

Its so much easier to believe the "God did it" line of reasoning for anything we are unable to explain. Its hard to pick up a book on science and actually learn about what we can rpove so far which tends to refute just about everything that bible thumpers spout. It takes time and energy to look through the fosil record that gives us a time frame of 3 billion years of earth history and 13.5 billion years of the universe history shown to us through reading the background radiation, especially when you dont need to with such easy explanations as "God did it". And the "just look around you" excuse is so idiotic, much like most of the religous theorys have been, like "The earth is the center of the universe, i mean just look at the sky, everything just rotates around us, duh!" and "The wold is obviously flat, just look out the window!, Flat!!" Faith is a blindfold and critical thinkers looking for answers have been the pinata that the blind fools are constantly swinging at.

September 14, 2010 at 7:44 pm |
  3. Meeru

Dogma and religion are not required for goodness as many people have said here. There is a tantric philosophy called Intrinsic Goodness. Its says every human has something called supremen consciousness, which at essence is good and filled with bliss. You cannot insert a good inside a person with dogma. Dogma just induces fear but does not bring out goodness in people. Only self reflection and conciousness do.

September 14, 2010 at 5:22 pm |
  4. sami

Check out Carah Faye's new band, Versant is releasing their first ep on Tuesday the 21st and the most cheapest pre order on earth. what a treat !

September 14, 2010 at 5:21 pm |
  5. Reality

Mira found faith? Or did she find another way to get us to fork our $15 for a movie? Wait a few months and you will be able to rent it from Redbox for a $1.00.

September 14, 2010 at 5:00 pm |
  6. ken ansell

Fishin dad you haven't really read the Bible carefully. It says women will have increased pain in child birth. So there was already going to be pain it would just be increased. The Bible says we only know love because God showed us love. Mercy is best defined as not getting what we do deserve and through Jesus we receive mercy. We receive an abundant life now and eternal life later and all of this because of God's love. The fall of man created this world and it's failure. God created a place of perfection with rules and man broke those rules therefore we live in this place that is less than perfect but God's plan is we live forever with Him if we have chosen to have a relationship with Him through Jesus Christ. I hope that makes sense?

September 14, 2010 at 4:46 pm |
    • ScottK

Ohhh, so it only increased birth pains, that totally refutes what fishindad said then...oh wait, he used the term suffer and I think most people would admit that child birth is painfull and God turned that pain from a 2 to a 10 which most would call suffering. I have read the bible from cover to cover 3 times (both hebrew & greek scriptures) and yes, it says God is love many times, but it also has him killing the women and children of unbelievers, killing all of egypts firstborn children who had never offended him, sent his own people into slavery to Babylon because they had turned away from him and blames the actions of a few onto their children and their childrens children for 7 generations. Such love. Oh, and apparently doing some bad things here on earth for a few years earns you an eternity of torment, talk about a terrible 3 strikes law, and that includes unbaptized babies since they inherit the sins of their forefathers. But if it makes you feel good, believe what you want.

September 14, 2010 at 7:31 pm |
  7. fishindad

In my naive youth I attended Sunday School (Presbyterian) and was baptized and went to bible study. It didn't take me very long (book of Genesis, in fact) to discover that the God written about in the bible was not the God for me. Any person, being, fictional character that would punish not only 'Eve' but all other unborn females by making them suffer in child-bearing for not listening to him/her (partaking of the 'apple of wisdom'), is clearly not merciful. I've read the bible, and it reads not unlike a JK Rowling novel.

Christianity, as with most other 'organized' religion, does nothing but teach intolerance for other human beings. Love, forgiveness, patience, kindness, etc. are qualities we humans are all born with. You won't learn these things from what's written in the bible.

September 14, 2010 at 4:11 pm |
    • Meeru

Also I dont need a religion that tells me I am born with sins so I ahve go and pray for my sins. I dont want to be constantly reminded of all the imperfections so that I constantly have to ask for forgiveness. A child is a child because its brain is not developed. As your brain develops your mind also develops. Sure you need a guiding light of pholosophies but not the BS about Adam and eve and all the sins. You should instead learn to see the goodness in everything rather than permanently carry a persecution complex of sins

September 14, 2010 at 6:05 pm |
  8. DavidScott

Oh one more thing.... This movie might be a good movie to see. With good intentions. But the whole idea of someone who made the choice to have s e x, then decided for what ever reason, to not live up to the consequences, is just inappropriate in my book. Yes, we have our agency to do what we want with our bodies. but we must pay the consequences of our actions no matter what they are. Giving up a child because you feel you can't be a good parent is selfish. You should have thought about that before you boinked! Then coming back years later when you decide you now want to be a parent, and fighting to get custody of the child is also selfish. Think about what it is doing to the child!
    Have a nice day!

September 14, 2010 at 4:03 pm |
  9. ken ansell

These are values found in Christianity. The Bible says none of us is good and that the only thing good that can ever be in us is Jesus Christ. Morality is from God ... that is why every culture through out history has been found to contain some moral boundaries. It's funny how we want to claim jump things that God does and or provides for us as humans and then not include Him in our lives or make Him a part of the discussion.

September 14, 2010 at 4:02 pm |
    • mosgot

These values are also found in the bhagavad gita, the koran, and other religious and non-religious texts. I'm also pretty sure indigenous tribes all over the world that don't worship any main stream religion have these values too. So please don't try to make them "chirstian values".

September 14, 2010 at 5:01 pm |
  10. mosgot

"Organized religion is a sham and a crutch for weak-minded people who need strength in numbers. It tells people to go out and stick their noses in other people's business." - Jesse Ventura

September 14, 2010 at 3:57 pm |
    • Tacoma

You hand complete and utter control of your life over to someone else and then tell me how weak I am.

September 14, 2010 at 4:22 pm |
    • peace2all

@Tacoma

Sorry..... I may be a bit slow today....but, I am not clear as to your posting... seriously..

Please elaborate....

Peace.....

September 14, 2010 at 4:25 pm |
    • mosgot

@Tacoma – Exactly my point. Only a weak mind will "hand complete and utter control of your life over to someone else" imaginary.

September 14, 2010 at 4:30 pm |
    • DAWN MERKEL

Most people that say "religion is a sham" don't have a clue. the majority of people that attack christianity and the bible have NEVER, i mean NEVER read the entire bible, especially the book of Proverbs that clearly state those who say "There is no God" are fools! Read about the wise person vs the foolish person, I see an awful lot of foolish, mean, hateful things coming from non-believers and also from those who "claim" to be christians, Read 1Corinthinias 13, (the Love chapter) that describes Jesus and those who are his true followers , those who believe in Him, Forigiveness, Love, compassion, etc are all characteristics of who Jesus was and how he lived his life while he was on earth and his teaching, so I wish all these nasty, judgemental, uneducated people would first read the bible and see how all the prophecy's throughout time have come true already and the bible was written over 2000 yrs ago, also if they would read the book of Revelation (last book in bible) they would see how similar it is to what is happening in this world today, c'mon people, educate yourselves and read the truth for yourselves

September 14, 2010 at 5:21 pm |
    • Tacoma

@ Peace2All
      When one accepts Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior one of the things they are doing is handing over control of their life to Jesus, the goal is to go where God wants us to go, do what God wants us to do, give where God wants us to give and to let our actions reflect him. My point is that this is a very difficult thing to do, to stop living for yourself and let him control your actions, that takes a lot of strengh on the part of the person who is doing it (I struggle with it daily), which is to refute the statement that Christians are weak. If anyone on here thinks that it's easy to let someone else control your life, try letting someone else, say a friend or sibling, make all your decisions and control your actions for a day, I gaurentee you'll struggle.

@mosgot
      All I can say to that is it's not imaginary and we'll have to agree to disagree.

September 14, 2010 at 5:27 pm |
    • ScottK

Your right Tacoma, it is hard to jump through all the hoops that "giving yourself over to christ" entails, like handing over 10% of your income to a possible pedaphile, or spending your Sunday mornings listening to some poor fool drivel on and on about how its better to not take responsibility for your actions by putting your burdens on christs shoulders, then tell him my sins and all is forgiven so I can go out and sin again since its not my fault, it was the devil.

Try taking the credit and the blame when you do something. Or is taking the blame to hard for you so you need to invent an invisible devil that must have pressured you to sin. Usually when people start talking about their imaginary friends they are put in a padded room and given medication.

September 14, 2010 at 7:12 pm |
    • Tacoma

I never said it was jumping through hoops. Don't read into what isn't there. Christianity is based on grace (undeserved gift). Grace is free. Forgiveness is free. A relationship with Christ is free. It's just when you have those things you can't help but want to serve your God.

September 14, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
    • Mike Ferris

his new book, "American Conspiracies," former Minnesota Gov. Jesse Ventura begins an investigative journey to prove that there is more to our national history than the government wants us to know. In this excerpt, he writes about an alleged 9/11 cover-up. Need I say more???

September 15, 2010 at 11:29 am |
  11. DavidScott

This is just amazing to me! all these comments over one statement! One thing I think we ALL can agree upon, and that is there is diversity in all humanity.
    Now MHO... there is good (and evil) in all people. We all came to this earth with a strong sense of moral and innocence. It is the "spiritual man" that maintains control of the carnal man. I have met many non religious people, who have a good spirit about them, and most of the time those individuals have strong moral and ethical values. But I do agree... that some religions help enforce these values. Many religions are hypocritical. But judge not that you be not judged.

September 14, 2010 at 3:50 pm |
  12. mrrealtime

the only "religious values" are condemning non believers to hell. Humanist values are forgiveness, compassion, and love. Religion often tries to co-opt those things, but it certainly is not the source. The only things religion has brought us are judgment of others, laws that threaten and bribe people to trust imaginary beings over themselves, and delusional behaviors like praying to non existent beings instead of doing something about a given problem.

September 14, 2010 at 3:45 pm |
  13. Shawn

@msaprilr
    Love contradicts human nature and must be learned? Let me guess, you are not married, don't have children, and/or possibly not a close relationship with your family? If you have ever been in the delivery room and witnessed the birth of your child, you would know that love is not learned. It is unconditional and happens instantly. Nobody had to tell me or teach me how to love my children. Same is true about my wife and family.

September 14, 2010 at 3:03 pm |
    • Mike Ferris

Love does not happen instantly, but a choice. You chose to love your wife. There are many that don't. If your children grow up seeing you abuse or love your wife, they will most likely exhibit the same behaviors and lifestyle. There's no guarantee that they will, but most children live the same lives as their parents, who have the most influence on their lives.

September 15, 2010 at 11:21 am |
  14. Daniel

As a proudly and happily adopted child, I'm often offended by these stories. Adpotion is a beautiful event for the child and parents involved (like my wonderful Mother always told me "any one can HAVE a child, but to adopt and want it so badly, is special". My parents rightly and wisely told me these things from the day I was brought home at 6 months old; no stupid waiting till "I was ready to understand" or such nonsense. I just want people to know that parents who give up their children for adoption really have no rights or business getting back involved with their child unless THE CHILD wants this. You did the moral thing by giving up a child you couldn't handle or care for, so NOW do the wise thing and let your child and his parents (yes, parents, not "adopted" parents or anything related) live their lives.
    I dedicate this message to Keith and Betty Pennington, my parents, who raised me with all the love and wisdom they have.

September 14, 2010 at 2:42 pm |
    • Think Tank

That's awesome Daniel. I would like to adopt some kids one day with my partner God willing. I agree, what makes a family is not who you share some DNA base pairs however the people who raised you, loved you, taught you, directed you, supported you, nurtured you etc. That's a family, not always "biology". It really irks me when some act as if an adoptive family is not the child's "real" family. That's a load of rubbish in my opinion. Your parents, your real parents the ones who raised you and loved you did a very good job with you.

September 14, 2010 at 3:02 pm |
    • DarkBronzePlant

Daniel, thanks for your post. As an father of two adopted boys, it's heartening to hear. While I of course give credit to birthparents who have the strength and wisdom to give the baby up for adoption, too often I feel marginalized as an adoptive parent (and, as you put it, too often it feels like adoption itself is treated like a second-class relationship). And FWIW, in our family our boys will grow up knowing all about the adoption. It's who they are, who we are, and we're proud of it!

Think Tank, good luck should you adopt in the future. Be forewarned that it can be very trying at times. But I still firmly believe it's worth it!

September 14, 2010 at 3:35 pm |
  15. Rick McDaniel

Not what I would call faith.

In truth, faith is believing in fantasy.

September 14, 2010 at 2:28 pm |
  16. Leprakawn

"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
    -William Shakespeare

September 14, 2010 at 2:06 pm |
  17. Holly Golightly

You know, I get weary of some atheists blaming religion for everything. Yes, there are religious hypocrites. Hypocrisy is human nature, and we are all guilty of it. Some are better at recognizing and fighting it within themselves. And hypocrisy is very frustrating, especially when coupled with judgementalism. But this happens across the board–not just with Christians. And NOT all Christians are ALIKE! That's called stereotyping–and if some of you are so non-judgemental and wise–you should know better. Isn't that hypocrisy in itself? And yes, many bad things have had religion attached to them. But let's not throw the baby out with the bath water. Many crimes have had things attached to them–mental illness, money, s e x, family, etc...–but do we generalize every situation with anecdotal evidence??? Everything in the world has bad and good.

September 14, 2010 at 2:04 pm |
    • DavidScott

Well said Holly Golightly!

September 14, 2010 at 3:54 pm |
  18. Sun1965

Karen Kingsbury is a very realistic author. I wish the movie was coming to my town. I think if we had more forgiveness and acceptence in this world the world would be better off.

September 14, 2010 at 1:57 pm |
    • Tacoma

I agree she is a realistic author. You know what drives me nuts though is that she is the way she drags out some of her series. I mean the Baxter series and it's extended characters have been going on forever and I can't help but read each one. I think I'm developing a love hate relationship 🙂

September 14, 2010 at 2:58 pm |
  19. janiemac

Atheists have been putting up with Christian's bashing them forever. Even George Bush Sr.said Atheists have no place in America, it is one nation under god. Well, we have taken it long enough. Being told we have no morals or that we believe in nothing because we don't believe in an invisible white guy that lives in the clouds watching us. Now we are speaking up and boy don't you christians hate it. Don't you wish we would just shut up like we used to. Atheists seem to be more at peace with themselves and never needed to shove their beliefs down any one's throats. Not any more. We are fighting back. By the way, if your god is omnipotent didn't he know we would fight and kill over his word?

September 14, 2010 at 1:51 pm |
    • Pascal

You might want to read some history before concluding that Athiests have never been able to "speak out". You can American Hisory or World History, take your pick. Your not the groundbreaker you fancy yourself to be.

September 14, 2010 at 2:40 pm |
    • Pascal

Someone Athiests that were "at peace with themselves":

Josef Stalin
      Mao Tse Tung
      Pol Pot
      Adolf Hitler

September 14, 2010 at 2:43 pm |
    • Think Tank

@Pascal Hitler WAS NOT an atheist.

September 14, 2010 at 2:57 pm |
    • Pascal

Don't think so Think Tank.

It's, of course, a matter of opinion, but I subscribe to the most likely scenario – that Hitler was raised Catholic, practiced Catholicism for a time, but was privately Atheist. Supporting this is Goebbels diary where he says Hitler had "expressed his revulsion against Christianity. He wished that the time were ripe for him to be able to openly express that. Christianity had corrupted and infected the entire world of antiquity." Other contemporaries recalled similar things.

So what though. It's just nice to remind folks that the worst genocides IN ALL HUMAN HISTORY came from non-Christians (even if you exclude Hitler). Your Inquisitions, Crusades, War of the Roses and every other Christian atrocity pales in comparison.

September 14, 2010 at 3:36 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

Whether the leaders of the Third Reich were actually Christian is irrelevant.
      The fact is that exploiting Christian faith was one of the more effective tools in their successful quest to stir the German people to a state of fervor.
      Nazi uniform belt buckles sported the slogan "Gott Mit Uns" – or "God With Us".
      I suspect that most religious leaders share at least some of this poisonous disdain for man's inherent quest for ultimate answers.
      Some, like L. Ron Hubbard,Oral Roberts, and Jimmy Swaggart are seemingly profit prophets.
      Others, like Joesph Smith, Mohammad (pbuh), and Moses were likely to have been feigning divine revelation in order to have their messages heard by the masses at large.
      Men like Pharaos, The Popes, and David Koresh are clearly megalomaniacal – claiming infallibility along with some form of personal divinity to advance their selfish agendas.
      In all cases, the real kicker is just how successful these people are at gaining slavish followers.
      Man, by and large, seems to be more a rationalizing animal than a rational one.
      This is why I am an atheist. And maybe just a wee bit of a misanthrope.

September 14, 2010 at 8:54 pm |
  20. DrDog

These comments remind me of Seventh Day Slumbers song – My Struggle, where a line in the lyrics says: "...whispers laced with hatred fill the room!"... You can cut the hatred in these comments with a knife... Religion sucks, its all just ideas of trying to do enough to gain or earn forgiveness/salvation/deity/etc, etc... You can NEVER do enough no matter what it is... Salvation and forgiveness arent about what you can do, they are only about what you can accept... Its as easy as just accepting the free gift of Salvation... The work has already been done, the debt has been paid, you only need to accept it... John 3:16 For God so loved the world that He GAVE....... You cant earn a gift... Forget Religion!! Instead, start a RELATIONSHIP with God... You will still have trials and pains but you will no longer go thru them alone...

September 14, 2010 at 1:19 pm |
    • Pascal

DrDog. You wrote: "...whispers laced with hatred fill the room!"... You can cut the hatred in these comments with a knife... Religion sucks..."

Are you saying thatyour little song reminds you of your own feelings? Contrary to the fashionable vocab, "hating" is not a synonym for "evangelical" or "conservative" or "critical". I think hating is more like angry proclamations that insult a billion people by saying their practices or beliefs "suck".

Even the the Athiests on this site deserve better than being called "haters".

September 14, 2010 at 2:36 pm |
    • RelationShip

DrDog-dude, go to the front of the class!

September 15, 2010 at 10:16 am |
    • DrDog

@Pascal... You're are trying to put words in my mouth... It's not "my little song", its a song by Seventh Day Slumber and nah, I wasnt referring to my own feelings... I was referring to the comments on all sides of the fence.... The dialogue on all sides seems hate filled... Read what I said again and you will understand... I said "you can cut the hatred in these comments with a knife", referring to all comments... I didnt single anyone out... You did that on your own... In reading some of your comments posted your hypocrisy is evident because most if not all of your comments are "angry proclamations that are insulting people for their practices or beliefs"...

September 15, 2010 at 4:59 pm |