home
RSS
September 14th, 2010

Mira Sorvino finds faith in new movie

Editor's Note: Academy Award winning actress Mira Sorvino sat down with CNN's Belief Blog to talk about her new film Like Dandelion Dust. The film is based on the book by Christian author Karen Kingsbury. CNN's Chris Ford filed this report.

Academy Award winning actress Mira Sorvino is the star of the latest film aimed at the faith community. Sorvino says she found faith in the story of a mother who gave her child up for adoption but has decided to try and get him back.

While not overtly a religious film, Sorvino says "Like Dandelion Dust" contains religious values: forgiveness, love, and redemption. Watch what she had say in our interview.

The film also stars Barry Pepper, Cole Hauser, Kate Levering, and Maxwell Perry Cotton and is directed by Jon Gunn. It is rated PG-13 for mature thematic material including domestic violence and alcohol abuse. It will be playing in select theaters Sept. 24.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Art • Christianity

1. Val

The book was amazing and wonderful. It looks like the movie is as well. I hope and pray that Life Changing Fiction (look it up along with Karen Kingbury, the author of the book) can change many more lives through this story. I cannot wait to se it!

September 15, 2010 at 10:16 am |
  2. Sonja

I had the opportunity to see this movie at a special screening and would highly recommend it to anyone. It is a very heartwarming movie and Mira Sorvino and Barry Pepper do a fantastic job portraying their characters so you feel entrenched in the story line. The great thing about this movie is that it allows you to see "both sides of the story" and as Mira said in her interview, it helps you realize we all need love and forgiveness in our lives. Being a person of faith or not, this movie is sure to tug at your heart strings!

September 15, 2010 at 9:48 am |
  3. Daryl

Faith based? Who cares?...I would pay to watch Mira Sorvino walk across the road...you know that in addition to being beautiful, she's brilliant, right?

September 15, 2010 at 8:22 am |
    • Nick

Yes i read na article once that said she speaks many languages including Chinese. She's very smart.

September 17, 2010 at 4:48 am |
  4. jaihind

If you're not a practising christian, you won't get it. Love, Forgiveness and Redemption are central and core to Christianity. If you don't have these, you're not a Christian. Yes, these values exist elsewhere if per chance, you are athiest, and do possess these values, you're at your core, a Christian, even if you don't know it. Go in Peace, now.

September 15, 2010 at 6:14 am |
    • Dude

No, I have those and I am certainly no Christian. I despise that religion.

September 15, 2010 at 8:24 am |
  5. John

You people are amazingly sad. This article was a story about a once-upon-a-time-A-List movie actress... not an argument as to whether or not God exists. Wow. Take it somewhere else.

September 15, 2010 at 4:08 am |
    • Mike Ferris

You can take yourself somewhere else too.

September 15, 2010 at 12:17 pm |
  6. Mike H.

Getting this train back on the rails...Mira Sorvino has always maintained an athiest philosophy so it's ironic that she would discuss any project she's involved with in a religious context. Perhaps she has opened her eyes and her mind....

September 15, 2010 at 3:35 am |
  7. Jay

I agree with you Nicola. Nice to see a public figure say this. Angie Harmon also did an interview in a magazine not too long ago where she talked about having a relationship with the Lord. It's nice to see public figures who are not afraid to state or talk about faith. I think more highly of them for it.

As for my opinion on this story, I do not believe there could be any goodness in the world without Christ, God or His grace. No unbeliever will ever sway me no matter how many snide remarks they make. I am a christian therefore I take the following verse seriously:
    Jesus said, "Everyone therefore who shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father who is in heaven. But whoever shall deny Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father who is in heaven." (Matthew 10:32,33).

September 15, 2010 at 3:20 am |
    • Luana

Jay, VERY well said! I'm with you! :o) What you have said is the simple truth!

September 16, 2010 at 12:32 pm |
  8. Yes

@klampenstein

yeah!
    HeII yeah!

September 15, 2010 at 3:17 am |
    • sdrawkcab ti tog uoy

@Yes and klampenstein
      You guys got it bass-ackwards. This planet is a dumping ground already.

Can anyone get us out of here before it's too late? THX!

September 15, 2010 at 3:57 am |
  9. Nicola W

How wonderful that an actress can discern that those values all contain and show God's hand! Can't wait for the film! This is the best news a movie could give!!!!! 🙂

September 15, 2010 at 2:44 am |
  10. Renette

This is a life changing movie, just like all of Karen's books. You won't be the same after you see this movie weather it is because you are more aware or because you seek something deeper. It is about relationship not religion.
    Try reading a few of her books and see if you are not effected in some way. Wonderful life changing fiction!
    LOVE the Movie ! I think it was very well done all the way around!

September 15, 2010 at 1:07 am |
  11. klampenstein

One thing is for sure. ya'll all believe in a lot of fairytales. the jews, christians and muslims all profess to be divinely inspired and everyone one of these groups are frauds and have perpetrated the biggest scams of history. the jews, theoretically are the chosen people which is clearly delusional, nobody in their right mind would choose this group just for what they have done to the palestinians, the christians have been responsible for 3/4 of the blood spilled on this planet and the muslims are a bunch of lunatics. we need to get rid of all of them because all they do is keep the lie going. and the lie is that they know something that we don't, that somehow if we don't buy into their delusions we are going to be excluded from paradise. "o mighty lord hear my prayer", if there are aliens out there in the cosmos would you please have them pick up all of these religious groups and take them to a galaxy that is a few million light years away, they are infecting the planet with their lunacy, thank ya lard, haaaala luuuuu ya!!!!!

September 15, 2010 at 12:56 am |
  12. Mario V

I agree with Matt L, but this isn't about "agreeing" with him, but about what is inherently true about the human person. "Forgiveness, love, and redemption" are not "religious values" but actual *human* values. Anyone who cannot forgive, love or find redemption cannot be truly human. "Being truly human" doesn't mean you're reduced to the animal level but about being the best person you can be. Love makes us human. That's not a feeling. You can love an animal or your car, but you cannot love your wife or children or husband the same way. That's a different type of love. Love is sacrifice and a choice: choosing what is best for the other person and forgetting yourself for the sake of the other. Forgiveness requires strength and a decision to let go because you love that person. Redemption is having the opportunity to be freed of what's holding you back and have another chance. It's true this is posted in the "belief" blog, but those values don't require a religion to be fundamental to human existence.

September 14, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  13. Therewasonly one

Scripture which declares the Trinity
    i.Isaiah 43:10, "You are My witnesses, declares the Lord, And My servant whom I have chosen, in order that you may know and believe Me, and understand that I am He. Before Me there was no God formed, and there will be none after Me."
    ii.Isaiah 44:6, "Thus says the Lord, the King of Israel and his Redeemer, the Lord of hosts: "I am the first and I am the last, and there is no God besides Me."

So to sum it up,,,
    The Christian God had a Son, Jesus. The Jew's deny Christ, and still worship their God who does not have a son.
    Muslims Allah also denies the crucifixion of Jesus...and do not recognize Jesus as the son of God as well.
    Although they may call him the God of Abraham..it is clear that is NOT the same God as the one described by John3 16-18
    iii.Isaiah 44:8, "Do not tremble and do not be afraid; have I not long since announced it to you and declared it? And you are My witnesses. Is there any God besides Me, or is there any other Rock? I know of none."
    iv.Isaiah 45:5, "I am the Lord, and there is no other; besides Me there is no God."
    A.The Trinity is one God who exists simultaneously in three persons. Each is coequal, copowerful, and coeternal with the other. Each person–Father, Son and Holy Spirit–is not the other. Without either there is no God; all comprise the one God.
    B.Analogy of the Trinity: With time, for example, the past is distinct from the present, which is distinct from the future. Each is simultaneous. Yet, they are not three 'times,' but one. That is, they all share the same nature: time

i.Just because the word "trinity" is not in the Bible doesn't mean that the concept is not taught. The word "monotheism" is not in the Bible, yet the Bible teaches it (Isaiah 43:10; 44:6,8).

September 14, 2010 at 9:36 pm |
  14. Therewasonly one

Let me ask you this, Besides the Jew who does believe in God...does he not believe in a physical God, as the Muslims also? Did they not reject him? Jesus was only believed to be a prophet, by both religous orders..and Muslims don't even believe Jesus died on the cross?
    Are not all these contrary to what the scripture says (John3: 16-18}?

September 14, 2010 at 9:15 pm |
  15. Therewasonly one

@ScottK

Guess what!! The words "Holy Trinity" or even just "trinity" is not found anywhere in the bible!! Look it up

If you consider yourself a Christian then you are worshiping the SAME god as the jews and the muslims which is the singular, monotheistic (meaning just one) god of Abraham. Period. If you dont understand or believe this you are either delusional, uninformed or just plain ignorant.

I submit to you:

“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son” (John 3:16-18).

Jews and Muslims both reject Jesus as the son of God.

So, while it may APPEAR they are worshipping the same God, they are not.

The
    Let me ask you this...Beisdes the Jew, who does believe in

September 14, 2010 at 9:08 pm |
    • Reality

origin: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F20E1EFE35540C7A8CDDAA0894DA404482

New Torah For Modern Minds

Abraham, the Jewish patriarch, probably never existed. Nor did Moses. The entire Exodus story as recounted in the Bible probably never occurred. The same is true of the tumbling of the walls of Jericho. And David, far from being the fearless king who built Jerusalem into a mighty capital, was more likely a provincial leader whose reputation was later magnified to provide a rallying point for a fledgling nation.

Such startling propositions - the product of findings by archaeologists digging in Israel and its environs over the last 25 years - have gained wide acceptance among non-Orthodox rabbis. But there has been no attempt to disseminate these ideas or to discuss them with the laity - until now.

The United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism, which represents the 1.5 million Conservative Jews in the United States, has just issued a new Torah and commentary, the first for Conservatives in more than 60 years. Called "Etz Hayim" ("Tree of Life" in Hebrew), it offers an interpretation that incorporates the latest findings from archaeology, philology, anthropology and the study of ancient cultures. To the editors who worked on the book, it represents one of the boldest efforts ever to introduce into the religious mainstream a view of the Bible as a human rather than divine doc-ument.

Then there is this:

John 3:16 is a single attestation in the NT and many contemporary NT scholars (e.g. Professors Crossan, Borg and Fredriksen) have concluded that it was not said by the historical Jesus. It was, they conclude, an addition to embellish the life of Jesus to gain converts/money for the cause. earlychristianwritings.com/theories.html

September 15, 2010 at 12:04 am |
    • Mike

But many more contemporary NT scholars and secular scholars believe the Bible to be historically accurate. We have gone over this several times about how Crossan is a fraud and his methods to drawing conclusions are inaccurate.

September 15, 2010 at 8:35 am |
  16. Sue

I just went to the Like Dandelion Dust website and watched the trailer. Looks a very moving story and I hope it will be shown in my area as it appears to have at least for now, an opening in limited theaters. Love Mira! Love Barry Pepper and the little boy is so real! Hope I get to see it!

September 14, 2010 at 8:25 pm |
  17. don

I was raised in the Protestant sect of Methodism and all in all, I don't think that believing in Christ has done me any harm nor made me an individual without the capacity to critically think about why I believe the way I do. That being said, I've also studied and have developed friendships with Jews, Hindus, Muslims and Buddhists in order to learn how they believe. I guess I've always questioned why Christianity has claimed to be the end all of faith. Here's where I'm at right now in my spiritual journey...as far as I can tell, us human types are animals that also have an aspect of spirituality. Those of us who deny our spiritual selves haven't become everything we can be as a human. Science is even confirming that the human brain is 'hard-wired' to believe in a higher spiritual being (hmm, wonder if science will eventually prove the existance of God?). Perhaps faith is a human attempt to reconcile our animal and spiritual natures. To figure out our individual place in the world. When I figure it out, I'll get back to everyone...

September 14, 2010 at 7:53 pm |
  18. christie

All I have to say to all the negativity about religion is you better hope your right and I'm wrong.... Because if I'm right and your wrong you will have a lot of explaining to do at the end of your road... Ill be praying for you!!!!

September 14, 2010 at 6:26 pm |
  19. Aaron Moore Sacramento, CA

So....um...anyone actually care to comment on the story? I'd really like to see this movie. Love Mira and think the film sounds moving.

September 14, 2010 at 6:22 pm |
  20. JenB

Morality was established with the Ten Commandments, the Law. Before then, men lived by their own codes. This made some live in anarchy (just go to the deep jungles and the forgotten places of the world and it's still there until they are introduced to God) and others to search for something greater than themselves to change them.

September 14, 2010 at 6:05 pm |
    • Ann

I am sorry. I dont know what makes you think men were living in Jungles before christianity? The eastern civilizations were well established and had already found Hinduism and Buddhism. There was Roman empire, silk route babylonia, China etc. They had already found decimals and using them. Sorry the Organized religion is a sham that plagiarized from previously existing civilizations.

September 14, 2010 at 6:24 pm |
    • Reality

Might want to check Ha-mmurabi's Code and the Egyptian Book of the D-ead for some of the original rules for human conduct. And note the Jewish scribes had access to both sources. Ha-mmurabi's Code and the Book of the Dead are online.

A few excerpts:

The Bo-ok of the Dead was written circa 1800 BCE. 2 The Sch-ofield Reference Bible estimates that the Hebrew Exodus from Egypt and the provision of the Ten Co-mmandments on Mo-unt Sinai occurred in 1491 BCE., some three centuries later. Thus, many religious liberals, historians, and secu-larists have co-ncluded that the Hebrew Scripture's Ten Commandments were based on this earlier docu-ment, rather than vice-versa.

Hail to thee, great God, Lord of the Two Truths. I have come unto thee, my Lord, that thou ma-yest bring me to see thy beauty. I know thee, I know thy name, I know the names of the 42 Gods who are with thee in this broad hall of the Two Truths . . . Behold, I am come unto thee. I have brought thee truth; I have done away with sin for thee. I have not sinned against anyone. I have not mist-reated people. I have not done ev-il instead of righteousness . . .
      I have not rev-iled the God.
      I have not lai-d vi-olent hands on an or-phan.
      I have not done what the God a-bo-minates . . .
      I have not kil-led; I have not turned anyone over to a k-iller.
      I have not caused anyone's suffering . . .
      I have not cop-u-lated (illi-ci-tly); I have not been un-c-haste.
      I have not increased nor diminished the measure, I have not diminished the palm; I have not encroached upon the fields.
      I have not added to the balance weights; I have not tempered with the plumb bob of the balance.
      I have not taken milk from a child's mouth; I have not driven small cattle from their herbage...
      I have not stopped (the flow of) water in its seasons; I have not built a dam against flowing water.
      I have not quenched a fire in its time . . .
      I have not kept cattle away from the God's property.
      I have not blocked the God at his pr-ocessions.

September 14, 2010 at 11:49 pm |