home
RSS
September 15th, 2010

My Take: 5 myths about poverty that Christians should renounce

The author with a Ghanaian woman who received an Opportunity International loan to run a daycare center and primary school.

Editor's Note: The son of missionary parents, Mark Lutz is Senior Vice President at Opportunity International, a non-profit microfinance organization, and author of the new book UnPoverty: Rich Lessons from the Working Poor.

By Mark Lutz, Special to CNN

Poverty is not an issue. It's people.

We hear about it, but do we really understand it? Myths about poverty abound, particularly among those of us bent on following Jesus' teaching about the poor and oppressed.

Myth 1: People are poor because they are lazy or stupid.

Poor people work incredibly hard, under harsh conditions, frequently seven days a week. With no welfare programs and no social networks, if they don’t work, they don’t eat. That’s reality.

My work in microfinance has taken me to some 50 countries. I’ve watched men making bricks in equatorial sun from morning till night in exchange for $10; women hauling five-gallon containers on their heads and in each hand every morning to water their garden-size farm; children rifling through trash for recyclables to exchange for a meal.

Despite their efforts, these hard-working people cannot get off their economic treadmills; they pass their generational poverty onto their children and grandchildren. Getting to know them as sisters and brothers, I can vouch that they are anything but lazy or stupid. The only reason for their life of misery and mine of relative luxury is where we were born.

Myth 2: Poor people want handouts.

We assume that a hungry person wants us to give them something to eat. Sure, if a mother’s children are hungry she’ll gladly accept a free meal. But what that person would much rather have is the opportunity to work and feed her family. Each time she accepts a handout she exchanges a portion of her dignity.

In the Bible, God instructs farmers not to harvest the corner of their crops, but to leave it for the poor. God didn’t tell them to reap it and give the money to the poor, but to leave it for the poor to pick and eat. They need food, but they also need and want an opportunity to work.

Every day some 25,000 people die from starvation. Disturbing as that may be, the real tragedy is that for 90 percent of them, there is no food shortage. They just can’t afford to buy available food. The appropriate response is not relief but development, including opportunities to work.

Myth 3: Our foremost responsibility is America’s poor.

The number one objection I hear to our work in the developing world is that we must first solve the problems in our own country. Yet half of humanity barely survives on $2 per day. And they don’t live here.

We live in a generous country where last year more than $300 billion was given to charity from voluntary donations. As grand as that is, less than five percent goes to international work, leaving 95 percent in our own country for our churches, university endowments and symphonies.

These are worthy causes, but charities that serve the wealthiest nation. I don’t think that’s what Jesus meant when in Matthew 25 he told his followers to serve “the least of these.”

Myth 4: Jesus said we will always have extreme poverty.

What Jesus said in Mark 14:7 was: “The poor you will always have with you.”

I honestly believe we can eradicate extreme poverty. And if we can, then we must.

Myth 5: Jesus was concerned primarily about spiritual poverty.

I grew up in South Africa, surrounded by missionaries. There was a subtle message that eternity is a lot longer than life. If someone is saved and bound for heaven, it doesn’t much matter how hungry their children are.

But when Jesus began his public ministry, he read his mission statement: “The Spirit of the Lord is upon me because he has chosen me to bring good news to the poor… To set free the oppressed.” (Luke 4:18).

Though we must read on to understand the full gospel, if we seek to follow his example and teaching, we must bring good news to the poor and set free the oppressed. More than 2,000 verses in the Bible deal with the poor. Jesus had special solidarity with the poor and told us that if we love him, we will show it by caring for them.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Mark Lutz.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Christianity • Opinion • Poverty

1. Hollie

I think that these are myths that people are not conscious that they believe and that's what he's trying to highlight. Most people would never admit to thinking that poor people are lazy, yet so many people – Christian or not – believe that if poor people *really* wanted to, they'd find a way to get out of it. I agree with Lutz that this is too often simply not possible and we need to fix that. I've heard other well-educated and "progressive" thinkers argue that poor people just don't really want to work. Also not true on the whole, so what can we do to help them support themselves? While you could argue that everyone should care about injustice and suffering, people who call themselves Christians such as myself have an inescapable responsibility to help end this poverty because of what's taught in the Bible – I'd say that's why this post is written to Christians.

September 15, 2010 at 1:14 pm |
    • Frogist

@Holli: Very good points all.

September 16, 2010 at 4:11 pm |
  2. Bob

From the article: Jesus recognized that some will always have less than others. But the kind of abject poverty that over one billion people endure—those living on $1 per day—wouldn’t be tolerated by Jesus and should not exist today.

But isn't Jesus God? And isn't it's God's will that these are poor? So Jesus does in fact tolerate the poor, the starving, the sick and those constantly in pain.

September 15, 2010 at 1:12 pm |
    • Ron

Bo(o)b- everybody is laughing at you... Tell us more about the Jesus you hate...does he have big sharp teeth? Stick to the History Channel and Dungeons and Dragons my caddy boy Boob!

September 15, 2010 at 1:21 pm |
    • peace2all

@Ron

NO....Everyone is laughing at YOU RON.... @ Bob made no mention of hating jesus, but he did make some very pertinent and salient points.

To which.... Your response was....? Yet again, nonsense..... We get ya' Ron... We are all over your kind buddy... ignorance...It must feel good, does it...?

September 16, 2010 at 5:29 am |
  3. jayman419

The author may make a nice salary, but unless you can dig up some more detailed account of his life and work, it's hard to say he's uncharitable, or that he shouldn't have written this article. I don't think this is supposed to be a "poor helping the poor" sort of take on the issue. He went to these countries as a loan officer, not a missionary, and he's not addressing the folks with two bites left on their plate.

I do agree with at least one point he made. There is no real hunger in America, not like the rest of the world faces. In this country, you have to try to starve. Sure it's a struggle to feed a family, or to feed them well. But no one has to live on a zero calorie diet unless they're taking one of the hard drugs and don't care about eating. The government dole takes care of a lot of it. Food banks and school lunches and other programs take care of the rest. Worst case scenario you go dumpster diving. No one here is feeding their family sun-baked mud patties and Fecal brand water for dinner.

The problem with international charity is it's hard for it to stay non-political.

September 15, 2010 at 12:37 pm |
    • bisnono

No – the problem with international charity is that many people in the US (some of whom have already commented on this story) have the gall to chastise those who are starving or dying a slow death from diarrhea only so they can feel even MORE superior to someone who they deem to be inferior or worthless. The same people who protest international support for third-world countries saying "we need to take care of our own first" are ironically the same people who actually want to abolish food stamps, the WIC program, free school lunches, welfare and social security in the US, never mind the fact that the people who benefit from these programs are the ones who cut their lawns, clean their homes, serve their meals in restaurants, and build their houses, all while going home to a tiny apartment they share with 6 other people and finding nothing to eat in the house but a can of green beans because payday is still 2 days off and there's only enough gas in the car to get them to work the next two days, so driving around town for 2 hours trying to find an open food bank isn't an option. I'm so tired of people who believe we should have no role in preventing hunger in this world, regardless of where it may be found. It's inhumane, heartless, and disgusts me.

September 15, 2010 at 1:10 pm |
    • jayman419

@bisnono – A food bank is not like a restaurant. You don't just drive around hoping someone will give you some hamburger helper. If you go more than a couple paydays short without figuring out what free or low-cost food is available in your area, then you're trying to starve.

In a lot of the countries where people are suffering the most, it's international aid that let the situation get so bad. International aid gets tied to things like Oil-for-Food, then it's all channeled into the hands of corrupt officials, entrenching their power. Places without oil have other resources.

Even in places where international groups maintain control of the distribution, when they're not trading the food for favors like in Liberia and Guinea, it still makes situations worse for those people in the long run. How long would the DPRK be able to prop itself up if China and the rest of the world weren't feeding millions of people who would otherwise be demanding change?

I'm not saying not to give, if you're in a position to do so. I'm saying world hunger is not a problem which exists or can be solved in isolation. If you live in America, even among those in the gap between low enough earnings to receive welfare and high enough earnings to eat well, there are many groups that offer solutions with your donation which are simply not possible in other countries. Even the best programs have some heavy consequences to consider.

September 15, 2010 at 9:08 pm |
    • Dave7

Jayman419
      Lots of gaps in your 2nd post. How? Why? What? any examples?

September 16, 2010 at 4:32 am |
  4. Ryan

I think this article is foolish. The Christians I know don't use any of Lutz' 5 myths to justify their actions or non-actions toward the poor. The Christians I know make the same excuses that any other non-poor American make such as "I'm too busy," or "I'm uncomfortable being where the poor are," or "The problem is too big, so I won't do anything." Mark Lutz should have written an article about the 5 myths about the poor that Americans should stop believeing, because it would be more appropriate and newsworthy. Plenty of Christians don't believe in those 5 myths; plenty of non-Christians do believe in myths similar to what Lutz wrote about. CNN has to have more intelligent perspectives to share with the public than this.

September 15, 2010 at 12:36 pm |
    • Jamie

I agree with some of what you said. I fail to see why this article is targeting Christians. The rest of the non-Christian community is getting it right? Apparently it's just Christians getting it wrong. I would like him to dispel the myth that Christians subscribe to these myths. Also I think he is taking some liberties with scripture. I have big issues with anyone taking 1 verse. It's all about context. You can find a single verse in the bible to back almost anything but that doesn't mean that is what the verse is meant to back.

September 15, 2010 at 1:14 pm |
  5. islanderstand

Being from the 3rd world country, then moving to this country, I have been fortunate enough to improve my status in life. I somewhat agree with the author's point of view about location as one of the determining factors of being poor. Working the same way, I made a lot less in my home country than I do in the U.S. However, I was never really poor because I worked hard and decided not too have so many children like my relatives did. Also after living in this country for a long time now, I have realized that the majority of the poor in this country ARE lazy and stupid. I started out making minimum wage here. I worked and study hard to put myself through college, with 70 hours work/schedule for 10 years. I make a 6 figure salary now, all through hard work and dedication. If I made it , any one can. There is no excuse in THIS COUNTRY.

September 15, 2010 at 12:28 pm |
    • dumping on you

@islanderstand

what a load of buII. There is no excuse for YOU and your line of arrogant snobbishness. Take your fake history and go to heII.

September 15, 2010 at 1:26 pm |
    • Susan T

islanderstand you are absolutely right! There is no excuse here in the U.S.!
      Dump you are a fool!

September 15, 2010 at 7:51 pm |
    • Dave7

Islanderstand,
      Happy to here your rags to riches story. This is a great country and people have opportunities here that others could only dream of. That being said there are plenty of reasons why someone might not be as successful as you. Although feeling the need to explain this to gives me the feeling you became successful without being very bright, you must realize there are people who are not as smart as you. In addition to mental deficiencies, physical problems and illness can play a part. Abuse, lack of educational opportunities growing up, poor parenting, discrimination, etc. Hope I helped you understand. Put some of that money away in savings- You may have just caught a lucky break, lightning rarely strikes the same place twice.

September 16, 2010 at 4:19 am |
  6. Kevin

Mark Lutz makes some good points that believers should take to heart. But I believe Jesus was primarily concerned with "spiritual poverty". The existence of extreme poverty is a symptom of the fallen nature of humankind. If we provide for another's material needs, but that person does not know of the love that Father God has for us in Christ Jesus, the ultimate disposition of that person is abject poverty of the worse kind: eternal damnation. Christians ought to share their blessings with others – material and spritual. But Jesus is the Bread of Life, and only he can truly satisfy us.

September 15, 2010 at 12:11 pm |
  7. Cherri Huang

People are poor because they do not have 'money-making' skills. Poor people are people who do not venture out from their comfort zone, do not seek knowledge , do not dare to take risks and have poor business contacts.

September 15, 2010 at 12:05 pm |
    • Cherri Huang

And most of all, they are not able to see and seize opportunities.

September 15, 2010 at 12:06 pm |
    • Near Death

@Cherri Huang

Spoken like a true snob. Well done! You've certainly shown all of us the error of our ways!

September 15, 2010 at 1:23 pm |
    • Ron

Perhaps you could give the poor a list of "How to Get Rich" self-help books you have been reading.

September 15, 2010 at 1:31 pm |
    • Dave7

Thanks for sharing.

September 16, 2010 at 4:23 am |
    • peace2all

@Cherri Huang

Possibly... for 'some' that may be the case.... but to over-generalize all poor people and categorize them as you did is fallacious and not true.

However, @Ron seems to think you may be in possession of "How to get rich" self-help books.....Please send him what you got...my guess is he is in desperate need...

Peace...

September 16, 2010 at 5:26 am |
  8. Anna

Why do we have to have concrete, infallible reasons to do something? Why can't we just say "donate to charities to help starving people around the world" because it's the right thing to do? I'd rather this article have been focused on how to be a humanitarian than how to be a "good christian" or whatever its point was. And what's with all the high-horse crap about how democrats and republicans are evil and poor people are lazy and not worth charity and everyone's religion is responsible for everything that's wrong? No wonder nothing gets done in the world, with all the back-and-forth that gets thrown around. If people just shut up for a minute and actually took some ACTION, it might have a positive effect.

Yeesh.

September 15, 2010 at 12:02 pm |
  9. Robert

When reading or listening to comments about articles such as this one, or even sermons and speeches such as this, I am always struck by the number of believers who start looking for technical or doctrinal inaccuracies in the author's text. It's as though they are looking for a way to avoid having to give their money to help the poor, and to avoid feeling guilty about not doing it either. If you don't want to do it, then don't. No one requires you to agree with sentiments such as these. But, it's frustrating to see someone take the basic premise that people in general, and Christians in specific, should do more for "the least of these" and avoid the issue by looking for small holes through which to escape.

September 15, 2010 at 11:56 am |
    • Frogist

@ Robert: I share your sentiment. But I have to add this one thing to it. While we all have to share this burden of looking away from the poor and dest!tute, those who call themselves christians loudly in the media and persist in denying their part in helping the poor, seem to me even more distasteful than the rest. They claim to own the moral high ground because they are christian then do things that are un-Christ-like. They give the real christians who strive to be better humans a bad name.

September 15, 2010 at 4:58 pm |
  10. Doug Riggle

I'm surprised to see this targeted at Christians. As others have stated, many people have a set of similar beliefs (or myths). Within my own organization, Orphan World Relief, we battle our own set of myths that people have about orphans. The reality that there are between 147 and 210 million orphans around the globe isn't talked about much. And while many of these kids live in orphanages that would be "at poverty level" within the United States, they have a great quality of life, good and nutritional food, as well as loving people caring for them. Our focus isn't on the sad faces, but on the orphanages that are doing a great job... and we work to help them expand their efforts and spread the good work they're already doing.

September 15, 2010 at 11:45 am |
  11. rich land

I think it was Inspiration today who said that Jesus was rich. He rode on a borrow when most people walked. He was mobile when people were essentially too broke to travel. He traveled by ship when it was way too expensive for most people to eve think of that. Well, much like it is today with ship travel, its limited to people with signification disposable income. The two Roman soldiers cast lots over who got his clothes. This is because his clothes were of high value and materials. So, the premise goes that Christ did not live a poor life but one of significant riches on Earth. He wanted his followers to have that same existence. So if you send $1000 to the tv ministry you can be a part of that. Well, as it goes you will be a part of their millionaire club. Well at least you make Morris Cerullo another millionaire over and help support his $27 million mansion in San Diego.

September 15, 2010 at 11:44 am |
    • Leah

Jesus was NOT rich. He had nothing but the clothes on his back. Either you or "Inspiration Today" needs to pick up a bible and actually read. Anything he had was given as gifts because the people he ministered to acknowledged that he was the Son of God. The Romans casted lots on his clothes as mockery to Jesus. Jesus was a carpenter (sp).

September 15, 2010 at 12:11 pm |
    • DesertRat

Jesus got to travel by boat because a significant portion of his followers were fishermen. He stayed in peoples' homes. Some of his followers were wealthy, many were not.

September 15, 2010 at 12:34 pm |
    • Dave7

Rich land
      I'm having trouble following you. Could you explain or better yet post a site that talks about how rich Jesus was, sounds interesting. Thanks.

September 16, 2010 at 3:49 am |
  12. Joe

WOW! Right on the money.
    If you reject this for religious or national or political or your own purely selfish reasons, shame on you.
    (Not to mention those of you who are just stupid. Yeeesh....)
    We have to work on humanity as a whole, not just "the people I know."
    And that's what is happening with the collapse of our economy.
    In this country, we are just reaping what we have sowed on the planet.

September 15, 2010 at 11:40 am |
  13. ttriple

Not sure why this article is directed at Christians and limited to the overseas poor. I see these same myths regarding the poor and the unemployed perpetuated in the U.S. by non-Christians

September 15, 2010 at 11:35 am |
    • Dave7

This is just a hunch- I think he probably felt that since He is a Christian missionary and works in other countries Christians would be the appropriate audience for him to address and inform about what he has seen. Does this help?

September 16, 2010 at 5:39 am |
  14. Katie

I'll speak for myself as a Christian, and many Christians that I know, in saying that we do not believe these "myths." And the fact that he directs this informational blog towards Christians is condescending and arrogant. Of course we know that people are not poor because they are lazy and stupid and that poor people do not always want handouts, etc. Is this guy joking?

September 15, 2010 at 11:30 am |
    • Dave7

Katie,
      The man is a Christian. He is trying to appeal to fellow Christians based on shared beliefs. Not everyone has had the experiences he's had. It sounds like he's trying to help others be better Christians- not you I'm sure. I can see clearly you don't believe these myths, but believe it or not, I have heard people talk about the poor and these myths as if they were true, even Christians! Though this usually takes place in a populated area where people talk to each other. If I were you I would avoid these types of places as people talk about many, many topics and if this nice man and his well meaning article angered you, being around other people talking about things may be too much for you to handle.

September 16, 2010 at 5:26 am |
  15. DAvid Coursey

Uh Reality on your Luke < Mark you cannot claim the Bible is the absolute word of God and infalible andthen make such arguments. I love how conservatives are such hypocrites on this like "THou shalt not kill" doesn;t apply to cap punishment because God really meant murder. That and all these whacked Bible-toting Baptists whp think Jesus went about speaking King James English and looked western European.

September 15, 2010 at 11:23 am |
  16. DAvid Coursey

You hear the stat that the rich have most of the donations to the poor. True but without one critical control: they have more money. As a percentage of income, they are not. The middle class is the highest. so as far as effort, the middle class is the highest.

It's rather naive in a modern economy to presume as the Bible suggests nongovernmental-based aid is that is all required. It's a totally different political economy and I bet if Jesus was here given the option of really nothing being done or help via government, he;d pick government. Besides, you honestly think poor inner-city people or even those in rural areas can get to an unused corner of a field without being shot and/or arrested?

September 15, 2010 at 11:20 am |
  17. Reality

Lutz "th-umped" Mark 14:7 and Luke 4:18.

Whereas most contemporary NT exegetes have concluded that Mark 14:7 ("the poor will always be with us") is authentic, not all agree.

Lüdemann [Jesus, 94] comments on the Mark passage:

The historical yield of the tradition is nil. But it does reflect the closeness of Jesus to a probably notorious woman of Galilee (cf. on Luke 7:36-50).

With respect to Luke 4:18, the reference to the poor in this passage is not part of the general message about Jesus turning his back on his home town as found in Mark, Matthew, John, Thomas and Luke 4: 16-17, 19-30 making Luke 4;18 historically unreliable.

September 15, 2010 at 11:20 am |
    • Mike

What are you trying to infer? Luke 4:18, which most NT experts say is authentic along with the rest of the Bible, is Jesus pointing out the Messianic prophesy.

September 15, 2010 at 12:54 pm |
    • Reality

Messianic prophesy??

For new members only:

Jesus was an illiterate Jewish peasant/carpenter/simple preacher man who suffered from hallucinations and who has been characterized anywhere from the Messiah from Nazareth to a mythical character from mythical Nazareth to a ma-mzer from Nazareth (Professor Bruce Chilton, in his book Rabbi Jesus). Analyses of Jesus’ life by many contemporary NT scholars (e.g. Professors Crossan, Borg and Fredriksen,-) via the NT and related doc-uments have concluded that only about 30% of Jesus' sayings and ways noted in the NT were authentic. The rest being embellishments (e.g. miracles)/hallucinations made/had by the NT authors to impress various Christian, Jewish and Pagan sects.

The 30% of the NT that is "authentic Jesus" like everything in life was borrowed/plagiarized and/or improved from those who came before. In Jesus' case, it was the ways and sayings of the Babylonians, Greeks, Persians, Egyptians, Hit-ti-tes, Canaanites, OT, John the Baptizer and possibly the ways and sayings of traveling Greek Cynics.

For added "pizz-azz", Catholic theologians divided god the singularity into three persons and invented atonement as an added guilt trip for the "pew people" to go along with this trinity of overseers. By doing so, they made god the padre into god the "fil
      -icider".

Current problems with the RCC:

Pedo-ph-iliac priests, an all-male, mostly white hierarchy, atonement theology and original sin!!!!

Luther, Calvin, Joe Smith, Henry VIII, Wesley, Roger Williams, the Great “Babs” et al, founders of Christian-based religions or combination religions also suffered from the belief in/hallucinations of "pretty wingie thingie" visits and "prophecies" for profits analogous to the myths of Catholicism (resurrections, apparitions, ascensions and immaculate conceptions).

Current problems:

Adulterous preachers, "propheteering/ profiteering" evangelicals and atonement theology

September 15, 2010 at 1:04 pm |
    • Dave7

Reality,
      Could you "dumb that down" for me. I'm having a hard time following but it sounds interesting and strange. Thanks

September 16, 2010 at 4:02 am |
  18. Reality

Lutz "th-umped" Mark 14:7 and Luke 4:18.

Lüdemann [Jesus, 94] comments on the Mark passage:

With respect to Luke 4:18, the reference to the poor in this passage is not part of the general message about Jesus turning his back on his home town as found in Mark, Matthew, John, Thomas and Luke 16-17, 19-30 making Luke 4;18 historically unreliable.

September 15, 2010 at 11:17 am |
    • Ron

I hope the mythological Jesus kicks your a..

September 15, 2010 at 12:48 pm |
    • Frogist

@Ron: Jesus was a brawler? Sheds a new light on that whole Prince of Peace thing...

September 15, 2010 at 4:17 pm |
    • peace2all

@Ron

Wow... THAT was a good one.....You sure told him..! Yep, you are certainly an ignorant fundie... "I hope the mythological jesus kicks your a.." Yep gotcha pegged.....

Wow, again Ron.... brilliant..! Bush league..... and ....Boring.....

September 16, 2010 at 5:19 am |
  19. No Apology

Neither Dems or Republicans can "Help the Poor" anymore than Socialists or Communists or anyone else. People have to help the poor. It is an individual choice and responsibility. None of these groups can "help the poor" because they don't know how. They can make policy to mimimize poverty to make it easier for those in poverty to get out of it but people must help through individual acts of kindness. This is what Christ taught. True Christians know this and are therefore under no illusions about poverty.

September 15, 2010 at 11:17 am |
    • Dave7

They (Dems and Republicans) certainly know how to help the rich (and themselves in the process) and in doing so seem to keep the poor – poor, and make it more difficult for many from becoming poor.

September 16, 2010 at 1:37 am |
  20. Tom

@Mark Lutz: Please stop writing articles on CNN, and start studying your Bible.

You "cherry-picked" a handful of select words from Mark 14v7, twisted it & used it to confuse the public & falsely support your agenda.
    Mark 14v7 says: "For you have the poor with you always, and whenever you wish you may do them good; but Me you do not have always." - Jesus Christ was talking to those who critized the woman for anointing Christ with expensive oil rather than selling it & using the profits for the poor. He told them that THEY had the poor around them at all times, & could help the poor anytime they wished, but that HIS time here was being cut short.

Mr Lutz, please stop twisting Scripture.

September 15, 2010 at 11:15 am |
    • HotAirAce

Am I reading this correctly – was JC really being selfish? Sounds to me that he was saying "give me the good stuff today and worry about the poor later!"

September 15, 2010 at 2:49 pm |
    • Tom

@HotAirAce:

If you read your Bible, you'd get the understanding you seek.

September 16, 2010 at 6:16 am |
    • HotAirAce

I don't have bible. Why are you passing up an opportunity to answer a direct question and to educate?

September 16, 2010 at 2:52 pm |