home
RSS
September 15th, 2010

UK bans pregnant nun ice cream ad

London, England (CNN) - Britain's advertising watchdog has censured an Italian ice cream manufacturer over an advertisement depicting a heavily pregnant nun that appeared ahead of a papal visit to the UK.

The ad featuring the strapline "immaculately conceived" over an image of the expectant sister spooning from a tub of Antonio Federici ice cream was "likely to cause widespread offense," the Advertising Standards Authority ruled.

The ASA said the publishers of Lady magazine, which carried the ad, had received several complaints from readers.

The watchdog rejected the manufacturer's claims that it was "using gentle humor" to convey the message that "ice cream is our religion."

"We considered the use of a nun pregnant through immaculate conception was likely to be seen as a distortion and mockery of the beliefs of Roman Catholics," the ASA ruling said.

Read the full story here.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Catholic Church • Culture wars • Europe • Food • Scandal • TV • United Kingdom

1. Ken Symes

I've tried to think through and present a Christian response to this ad. I'm pretty sure if the ice cream company had ridiculed a core belief of Islam in their ice cream ad rather than a core belief of Christianity, nobody would be laughing.

Let me know what you think, Christian or non-Christian.
    Christian response to pregnant nun ice cream ad

September 17, 2010 at 9:42 pm |
  2. Pakistani Christian

HEAVY METAL JESUS

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYsACM-iVBI&w=640&h=360]

September 16, 2010 at 1:49 pm |
  3. Frogist

Oh come on! Every Halloween I see fifty slu-tty nun costumes in the stores. You're telling me a pregnant nun eating ice cream is more offensive than that? Really... Now if it was a priest asking a little boy to lick his ice cream cone... well that might be a bit offensive. A bit.

September 16, 2010 at 11:42 am |
  4. McCluck

I think it would be an excellent commercial. Very funny. But it would be better if she got knocked up by the local butcher, and then claimed it was the ice cream that immaculately conceived the baby. That sounds about right....

September 16, 2010 at 9:40 am |
  5. Reality

B16 like many of us suffers from the Three B Syndrome i.e. he was Bred, Born and Brainwashed in his religion. For this reason, he is unable to think past the shackles put upon him by the likes of Paul, Mark, Matthew, Luke and John.

The wishful thinking done by these five scribes approximately 2000 years ago continued the embellishment and fiction tradition of the Jewish scribes. The locals paid for a good story of myth and imminent second coming. There was no money in the truth but now we know the truth and it boils down to two simple statements, Do No Harm and Love Thy Neighbor as yourself.

September 16, 2010 at 12:14 am |
  6. David Johnson

Ever thought, how much easier it is for an ugly girl to remain chaste than a pretty one?

September 15, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
    • Tony

"We're only as faithful as our options" – Chris Rock

November 18, 2010 at 7:53 am |
  7. Iqbal khan

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U52-EnS4cb4&w=640&h=360]

September 15, 2010 at 9:56 pm |
  8. David Johnson

Was the father of Jesus a Roman archer named Tiberius Abdes Pantera? A picture of his tombstone in Germany is in the book THE JESUS DYNASTY by James Tabor. The dates in which he lived would coincide in fathering Jesus combined with the fact he was stationed in Palestine. Also, Jewish critics of Jesus wrote in the Talmud his father was a Roman soldier named "Pantera."
    Back in the 1980s, Jane Schaberg wrote a scholarly book called THE ILLEGITIMACY OF JESUS which also touched on these controversial subjects

Hmmm...an expectant nun. She is pretty. I think I would buy the ice cream.

September 15, 2010 at 9:23 pm |
  9. Faisal

"religion" is mans attempt to control hate, instead of trust love. (and the cunning lies and deception associated), was originally born of a corrupt womans mind, in a foolish attempt to eliminate the need of man, *expressed, and carried out* through foolish men *who follow the desires & path of their own demise.* thus attributing the cause of the inevitable death as a result, to both parties of the divided house built on the union of destruction. proving that "a house divided against itself cannot stand" (Luke 11:17), Spoken of by Jesus Christ (the one you love to hate. and crucify). Jesus was against religion.

September 15, 2010 at 8:56 pm |
    • Ykcyc

Who am I?

To truly know Thyself, to know, who I am
      The most important question, ever asked
      Am I my name, beliefs, my ego, or my past?
      Lost in my mind, One Life, asleep behind the mask?

Am I a bag of skin and bones, born to decay?
      A mortal body that I washed and clothed today?
      Who do you think can know me better – who I am?
      What is the point in the end; who really gives a damn?

And who is it that really wants to know, anyway?
      Is this all that there is; am “I” the same as “they”?
      Am “I” more special, better, or unique?
      What is reality and what is mind-played trick?

Am “I” what I possess? What people want me be?
      Voice in my head, a mirror to the world?
      My feelings, thoughts, my-self made “story”
      Or ego that’s afraid of death and getting old?

Who are you, really? Who’s behind your eyes?
      Not who you “think” you are; should be, pretend to be
      Not what your mind would want to hear, prefer to see
      Asleep, obscured by twisted mind-perceived reality

Still trying to resist, to do, to be, become someone?
      Pretend to be yourself, not knowing who you are?
      Concealed, as if an actor forgot he’s acting in a play
      A dreamer lost in dreams, still thinking he’s awake

I’m not my thoughts – No thought is true.
      Thoughts aren’t your source – No thought is you.
      Don’t trust your thoughts – No thought is real.
      Mind that believes that thoughts are real is troubled, ill.

Good, bad, right, wrong – all are opinions, all just a thought.
      I know who I am, by knowing who I am not.
      I simply am, One Life – a priceless gift
      Star dust in the wind, a water droplet set adrift

I am One Life, one with whatever is
      Awareness, Consciousness, right Here, right Now
      My Spirit’s free. It’s been released
      From ego’s pain, torment, and sorrow.

The only truth exists within – inside you, inside me
      To seek it elsewhere, you wont find it, it’s a myth
      To be yourself, to feel alive, to simply be
      The only joy, the only freedom, only truth.

Rain falls.
      Wind blows.
      Sun shines.
      Earth spins.
      I am.
      That, in which it all can only appear, where it can only be.
      Where it all can only exist, in the Now.
      All else is a mirage.

September 16, 2010 at 8:59 am |
    • The Answer Guy

@Ykcyc

Well, you're not a rapper, that's for sure. But a nice post anyway. Some of those words go real good together.

September 16, 2010 at 9:14 am |