home
RSS
Dispatch from pope's UK trip: Benedict's 'nice guy' effect
September 17th, 2010

Dispatch from pope's UK trip: Benedict's 'nice guy' effect

CNN Senior Vatican Analyst John L. Allen Jr. filed this report from London.

When Benedict XVI was elected to the papacy in April 2005, I published a book that recounted the last days of Pope John Paul II, the inside story of the conclave that elected his successor, and predicted where the new pontificate would go. After it appeared I dutifully dropped off a copy for Benedict with an aide, though I had no expectation the pope would actually read it.

Imagine my surprise when a few weeks later the Vatican spokesperson, who was vacationing with Benedict in northern Italy, called me. He told me the pontiff had come down to breakfast that morning with my book in his hands, and he wished to relay a message.

“Please tell Herr Allen thank you for having written this book,” the spokesperson quoted him as saying, “especially the last part about the future of my papacy … because it has saved me the trouble of thinking about it for myself!”

That flash of papal humor illustrates what is perhaps the best-kept secret about Pope Benedict XVI, which is that whatever one might think of his views on gay marriage or his handling of the Catholic sexual abuse crisis, he is, at bottom, a nice guy.

If some of the frost awaiting Benedict XVI on his trip to the United Kingdom now seems to be melting, that’s a large part of the reason why.

Over the years, people who’ve had personal contact with Joseph Ratzinger, the man who is now Pope Benedict, have always been struck by the juxtaposition between his public profile and his private personality. In public, he often seems a polarizing and stern figure; in private, he’s gracious, humble, a great listener, and possessed of a great dry wit.

Typically, the only time most people get a glimpse of that personality is when the pope comes to their backyard on a foreign trip. What they usually see is a smiling, kindly man, not a fire-breathing cultural warrior.

In part, that’s a product of message. One hallmark of Benedict’s teaching is “Affirmative Orthodoxy,” meaning presenting traditional Catholic doctrine in the most positive fashion possible.

The upbeat tone has been in evidence in the U.K., as Benedict began his trip yesterday by telling the Queen how much he admired Britain’s Christian and humanitarian traditions, among other things applauding the Northern Ireland peace agreement. This German pope even thanked the U.K. for standing up to the Nazis.

In part, too, Benedict’s personality breaks through in gestures and images. In Scotland, for example, he blessed a nine-year-old boy who had written to ask for prayers as he faces cancer, and British papers today were full of pictures of the pope kissing a toddler named Maria Tyszczak, the daughter of Polish immigrants to Glasgow.

The UK  is, of course, hardly the first place Benedict has faced a tough crowd.

He went to Turkey in 2006 shortly after igniting a storm of protest in the Muslim world with a speech that appeared to link Muhammad with violence. His trips to France in 2008 and the Czech Republic in 2009 took him into hostile secular territory, and when he traveled to the Israel and the Palestinian Territories last year, he was also walking a tightrope.

In every case, the trip exceeded expectations, in large part because personal contact with Benedict took the sting out of much of the criticism.

It remains to be seen how the rest of the trip will go, especially given the Vatican’s penchant for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory when it comes to public relations. It’s also an open question whether softening the pope’s image, by itself, is enough to call the trip a success, especially given the real challenges facing the Catholic Church, beginning with the sexual abuse crisis.

Nonetheless, given the skepticism and outright hostility that seemed poised to swamp the trip before it even began, if Brits at least come away seeing the pope as a nicer guy than they had been led to believe, the Vatican would probably take that and run.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Catholic Church • Europe • Pope Benedict XVI • United Kingdom

1. Truthwillsetyoufree

So when Jesus gave Simon Bar-Jona the new name "Cephas," or "Peter," it was at the direction of and according to the Heavenly Father's will. And when Simon Peter confes-sed that Jesus was the C-h-r-i-s-t, the Son of the living God, it was at God's direction and according to the Heavenly Father's will that Peter had received the knowledge of who Jesus really was. One must understand the subject matter at hand is – Who is Jesus?

Jesus in verse 17 iden-t-i-f-i-ed Simon as the son of Jona, then announced that His Father in heaven had revealed Jesus' true iden-t-i–t-y to Simon Bar-Jona. Then in verse 18, Jesus speaks to Simon and uses the name He had given him (Peter). So, here we have two revelations in close proximity.

So, what is the rock upon which Jesus was going to build and is building His church? Psalms 62:1-2 reads:

"Truly my soul waiteth upon God: From Him c-o-meth my salvation. He only is my Rock and my salvation; He is my defence; I shall not be greatly moved."

The Rock is God in heaven and His Divine revelation according to His will of Who Jesus is to His followers. For when one truly recognizes Who Jesus is, which is a work of God in heaven, and exercises faith in Him, they become members of His body. Colossians 1:18 reads:

"And He is the head of the body, the church: Who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence."

and PS> I am fine with Matrimony. So, make that 3 i am ok with. Marriage, Baptism, C-o-mm-u-nion.
    The other 4, Penance, Extreme Unction, Confirmation, Holy Orders, Need to know where they are in the bible, since evrything is supposed to have a foundation., or basis We can deal with those later, as I also want to know about the Vi-rgin Mary stuff I quoted too
    Yes, I use the ROC, as well as my bible. I also use other sites for information, there is nothing wrong with that. No different then a text book useful for information. I do check to make sure that was is said is true, and I think the ROC is a great one. I even posted the link..remember?
    You use your Magesteri-um and other catholic derived books, . You use what is wri-t-ten by man, based on God, as truth. I use what God says as truth, and not man.

September 21, 2010 at 5:20 pm |

Truthwillsetyoufree,

Your concerns about our Mother, Mary…..she is your Mother, too, even if you disown her.

"For there is one GOD, and one Mediator between GOD and men, Himself man, Christ Jesus." 1Timothy 2:5. This is Bible Truth so, no matter how many anti-Catholic sites say we do not adhere to this Truth, they are lying to you. Remember, it is the Catholic Church that put the Bible together and proclaimed it the inspired Word of God and had She not done this, we would not have the Bible.

Jesus Christ is definitely our Mediator, between us and God…by suffering and dying for us. Mary did not do this, Jesus did. What Mary does for us is intercede for us….she prays for us….her prayers are taken to her Son, not to God. Do you think Jesus Christ listens to His Mother? Did He ever listen to her?....Yes, even when He wasn’t ready to start His ministry, she encouraged Him to start and He did! Does He not adhere to His own Commandments? Is He not an example of the purest Form for us to imitate in every way? Can we go wrong if we honor Mary? NO! Jesus commands it.

So a mediator is called to do an action but an intercessor requests an action….two very different roles.

"I urge therefore, first of all, that SUPPLICATIONS, PRAYERS, INTERCESSIONS and THANKSGIVINGS be made for all men; for kings, and for all in high positions, that we may lead a quiet and peaceful life in all piety and worthy behavior. This is GOOD and AGREEABLE in the SIGHT OF OUR SAVIOR, who wishes all men to be saved and come to the knowledge of the truth. For there is one GOD and one mediator between GOD and men, himself man, Christ Jesus." 1Timothy 2:1-5

In light of 1Timothy 2:1-5, asking for supplications, prayers, intercessions and thanksgivings is good and agreeable in the sight of our Savior.

Why is this a stumbling block to non-Catholics?

September 21, 2010 at 6:10 pm |

Truthwillsetyoufree,

You said, ‘One must understand the subject matter at hand is – Who is Jesus?’

These verses are not about who WE think Jesus is but who Peter thinks Jesus is. Jesus is not interested in our personal opinion. Since Peter received the revelation straight up from the Father telling him that Jesus was the Christ that Jesus changed Peters name to Caphas, which meant Rock, and said He was going to build His Church on this Rock and the gates of hell will not prevail against it.

Ken Mansfield’s interpretation of the gates of hell will not prevail against IT….is that Jesus is the It! Please, I am not going to debate with ‘copy and paste’ from someone who calls Jesus ‘IT’. Jesus is a Person.

"Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."

Again Ken Mansfield’s interpretation of this is that the body of Christ, the Church, will have responsibility and authority within the church. This is so blatantly wrong, it could be considered sacrilegious. It is Jesus Christ who is the Head and we are the body. Does the body tell the head what to do or does the head tell the body? I don’t care to debate Ken Mansfield anymore. He is so far off the mark that it makes me sick to think of how many souls he has lead astray….

All this twisting is to try to tear down the Catholic Church….Ken Mansfield should read about the Paraclete Jesus promised to send who will guide and guard the Church, and who has been doing just that for over 2000 years.

September 21, 2010 at 8:35 pm |
  2. Truthwillsetyoufree

"When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Ph-il-i-ppi, He asked His disciples, saying, 'Whom do men say that I the Son of man am?' And they said, 'Some say that Thou art John the Bapt-i-st: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets.' He saith unto them, 'But whom say ye that I am?' And Simon Peter answered and said, 'Thou art the C-h-r-i-s-t, the Son of the living God.' And Jesus answered and said unto him, 'Blessed art thou, Simon Bar-Jona: for fl-esh and bl-o-od hath not revealed it unto thee, but My Father Which is in heaven. And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build My church; and the gates of h-e-l-l shall not prevail against it. And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.' Then charged He His disciples that they should tell no man that He was Jesus the C-h-r-i-s-t." – MATTHEW 16:13-20 (KJV)

Who do ye say I am?
    In verse 14 several of Jesus' disciples answered His question by saying what men were saying about Him. But then in verse 15, Jesus asks, "But whom say ye that I am?" Now it is time for Jesus' followers to make a test-imonial confe-ssion of the true ident-i-t-y of Who Jesus is. Simon Peter spoke, saying, "Thou art the C-h-r-i-s-t, the Son of the living God."

It is of interest to note that "Peter" was a name given to Simon by Jesus Himself. John 1:42 records this as follows: "And he brought him to Jesus. And when Jesus beheld him, He said, "Thou art Simon the son of Jona: thou shalt be called Cephas, " (which is by interpr-etation, a stone.)" So here Simon when he ini-t-ially met Jesus was given something, a name, from someone else, namely Jesus. Now when Jesus asks the question "Who do you say I am," Simon also reveals he has been given something, the true ident-i-ty of Jesus from someone else, namely Jesus' Father in heaven.

Also of interest is the way Simon said, "Thou art the C-h-r-i-s-t, the Son of the living God." Jesus responded to Him in verse 17, calling him Simon (his natural given name) Bar-Jona; that is, son of Jona. This was Simon's flesh and blood name. This was not a name which was given to Simon by Divinity. But the revelation of Who Jesus is was given to Simon by D-iv-ine revelation just as the name Peter was given to Simon by D-ivi-ne pronouncement.

In verse 18, Jesus says, "And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter." Jesus says here, you are not only Simon, son of Jona (fl-e-s-h iden-t-i-ty), but you are also Peter (spiritual ident–i-t-y), the name that Jesus gave Simon by Divine pronouncement. This is because these passages are all concerning revel-ation from above. Then Jesus says, "And upon this rock I will build My church; and the gates of h-e-l-l shall not prevail against it."
    So, the question would be: Since Jesus gave Simon the new name Peter (rock), does this mean Jesus is saying His church is built upon Peter? No. Jesus is saying His church is built on revelation from above; that is, from God in heaven about the true iden-t-i-ty of Jesus. Whenever Jesus did anything, He only did what the Father had revealed to Him. John 5:19 reads:

"Then answered Jesus and said unto them, 'Veri-ly, ver-ily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of Himself, but what He seeth the Father do: for what things he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise.'"

September 21, 2010 at 5:11 pm |
  3. Truthwillsetyoufree

Its nice you could return...
    You start off with:

I agree with you that people can have Truth in their respective religions but not to the fullest that is possible. Just as you mentioned, you only partake of two Sacraments, Baptism and Communion. The Catholic Church recognizes that other faiths have valid Baptism, Confirmation, and Matrimony. I wonder why you feel you don’t, with respect to Matrimony.

First of all, what is meant by your first sentence?
    I ask you why not? Thats a pretty arrogant statement..again am I reading here that ONLY the Cathloic Religion has all the "fullest truth"?
    I may remind you that Salvation is available to ALL people, not just Catholics. Jesus promises to his "universal church", all of which you claim, his promises. The problem I have with your beliefs, is that they are based on Catholic beliefs, and it was is very clear, that the universal church that Jesus built his rock upon, was his own.NOT Peter!

Not ONE early congregation father, in their writings, ever even hint that Jesus made Peter the head of the church.....Such silence is deafening. The first person to propose such an outr-a-g-eous idea was a Bishop of Rome in the 4th century. Over 300 years after Christ.!!!

Around 60 A.D., the Apostle Paul wrote a letter to the congregation at Rome. He addressed 25 Christians there and never mentions St. Peter. If Peter was bishop there for 25 years why was St. Paul writing to them and instructing them in basic Christian doctrine? St. Peter was a very competent writer. He wrote 2 Epistles himself.

Paul even mentions a British lady named Claudia, but not a word about Peter. Truth is that Peter was never at Rome . . . he was the Apostle to the c-ir-c-u-m-cision . . . to the Jews.

St. Peter was NEVER in Rome and had no connections with that city. St. Paul was the one who was taken prisoner to Rome and founded the Christian CONGREGATION there about 67 A.D.

My original post went to moderation..so I am trying again:

I will continue it if it sticks

September 21, 2010 at 4:51 pm |
  4. Truthwillsetyoufree

Well, seeing how CatholicMom's last response was under this thread on September 20th, and my post to her ( Last one on this thread, Sept.19th) was not acknowledged, I assume she chooses not to respond or answer the simple questions I asked her.

Why does that not surprise me....I guess she CANNOT find them in the regular bible, cause they aren't there. Guess I win this one by default.

September 21, 2010 at 7:54 am |

Truthwillsetyoufree,
      My posts, as you can see seldom post so they are broke up into pieces...I hope it is not a problem for you...

September 21, 2010 at 11:19 am |
  5. Tony

Here's proof to the Unbeliever to show I'm not delusional:

Now all you have to do is look for a newspaper written last week to see the 3-7 day forcast and you'll see it's supposed to be record breaking heat and dryness for the weekend and today.

September 20, 2010 at 1:58 pm |
    • KneeDeepInDelusion

Tony:

I'd be interested in knowing what happens to you during the rainy season? Are you "dry" when it's wet? Or are the occasional breaks in the clouds with a ray of sunshine your "signs" then?

Definition from earlier in this thread is correct:

Superst_ition is defined as , "belief or notion, not based on reason or knowledge, in or of the ominous significance of a particular thing, circ_umstance, occurrence, proceeding, or the like."

September 20, 2010 at 3:19 pm |
    • HotAirAce

@Tony

Your "evidence" is proof of nothing other than there was some nasty weather. I am not a meteorologist, but I am a licensed pilot so have some knowledge of weather – enough at least to keep me alive so far. Weather forecasts are never 100% guaranteed – there is always some margin of error. Even when the weather system is as obvious and as big as a hurricane. or a supposedly clear blue sky, it is impossible to precisely forecast what is going to happen over some period of time.

You should take weather forecasts with "a grain of salt" just as your should when reading your favourite book of myths.

PS: You haven't answered my questions about priests bu-gg-ering little children...

September 21, 2010 at 6:16 pm |
  6. Truthwillsetyoufree

@CatholicMom
    Thanks for your response. To answer your questions, no, I am not angry about anything. I am aware of all that the Lord has said to do, Salvation, Baptism, etc., am also aware it is by his grace and so on. Yes, I believe in the Great White throne judgement. That being said, lets not waste no more time on my well being, I am fine.

I have some questions for you also. It may take me a few posts, and I don't know if I will get to address them all tonight. But, lets start here.

You stated above:

Again, I say to you, respectively as I can...People can have the truth, and they do not have to be Catholic to get it., nor do they have to chase down other christian faiths to get it. You can go right to the spoken word of the gospel of Jesus C-h-r-i-s-t, and its all in there. Its not just a book. What is in the bible, teaches us all we have to know, and from there on we act on the things, thru Gods grace, that we desire to have, like walking in his way, spending eternity with him, atc. We know there are steps we must take to achieve this, and follow him.
    I am not trying to tear the Catholic Church down. I am merely stating problems I see with the Catholic Church..who claims to be so perfect, who claims to be the "TRUE" church. The reason you had people branch off from it, is because alot of what she (CC) teaches, are lies. NO, I DID NOT SAY GOD LIES,I said the CATHOLIC CHURCH WHO CLAIMS TO BE THE MOUTH PIECE and BRIDE of CHRIST, LIES. They took took off with it and ran (I think Kate called it hijacked, good term, thats exactly what it was) and distorted the real meaning of Jesus church, which again I remind you, are all believers, not just Catholics.

There is no one I trust more then Jesus , to lead me in my walk with him. I do not need a pope, one who deems himself "infallible" especially. He is NOT infallible. He is a man and he is a sinner like everybody esle.

Now, please don't give me Catholic quotes or anything, I just would like you to show me the following as I am asking you to, the way I am asking you to.

I ask you (and you will need only a bible to answer..no magisteriums, or or Cathecisms....ONLY the bible,ok? Find me the scripture that says, in order to be saved,( and this is according to the Catholic Church), you must do the following:

"We declare, announce and define that it is altogether necessary for salvation for every creature to be subject to the Roman Pontiff." (Papal Bull UNAM SANCTUM, Pope Boniface VIII, November 18, 1302)

Where is it?

There is no ambiguity here, is there? UNAM SANCTUM is, according to RCC teaching, a declared dogma of the Church. Dogmas cannot change as they are supposed to be 'divinely revealed, infallibly declared truth.' Catholics are therefore duty-bound to believe them, adhere to them, accept them as given. The penalty for refusing is to be excommunicated, anathematized, damned to hell.

Where is that scripture in the bible? Not the Catholic version, but the plain ole bible??

Next:

What about this one? Salvation thru Mary
    Rome acknowledges that it is by grace that we are saved. She then assigns herself as the sole dispenser of that grace via her sacramental system. Rome has now gone a step further from the Gospel truth by declaring that no one can receive God's grace without the intervention of Mary....

"O my sovereign Lady, you are alone . . . the hope of my salvation."
    The designs by which He is able to dispense His mercy more abundantly to us, for desiring to redeem the whole human race. He has placed the whole price of redemption in the hands of Mary, that she may dispense it at will."

Where, is that in the bible? Scripture and verse?

Next:
    Catholic Church has Seven Sacraments, which are:
    Baptism
    Communion
    Confirmaton
    Marriage
    Holy Orders
    Extreme Unction
    Penance

I am ok with the first two. They are biblical
    Show me where, again, in the bible, the last 5 are.

Where do we find:

Confirmation>Jesus holding a ritual, where people are kneeling and recieving the Holy Spirit?
    Marriage> Jesus officiating at a marriage to 'sanctify it.?
    Holy Orders > record that Jesus ever conducted an ordination ceremony to turn ordinary men into priests.?
    Extreme Unction>evidence that Jesus ever anointed a sick person to 'prepare them for death?
    Penance> Where did he tell anyone to go and do penances, or good works, to obtain salvation.?

September 19, 2010 at 10:04 pm |

So glad you are well…

You said the Bible ‘teaches us all we have to know’ then why even go to the rco? Just read your bible. [ But if you really want to know what the Catholic Church teaches….go to the Catechism of the Catholic Church or the Catholic Encyclopedia. If you wanted to learn the TRUTH about a Chev would you go to a Ford dealer?]

However you failed to explain what do you do when you come to a part in the Bible you don’t quite understand…it could mean ‘this’ but it could mean ‘that’…that’s the problem. Even the Bible tells you there are things that are hard for us to understand..
      2 Peter 16-17
      16 ‘.....In them there are some things hard to understand that the ignorant and unstable distort to their own destruction, just as they do the other scriptures.
      17 Therefore, beloved, since you are forewarned, be on your guard not to be led into the error of the unprincipled and to fall from your own stability.

The Bible is a Catholic Book, don’t fool yourself into thinking otherwise…even Martin Luther conceded that without the Papists there would be no Bible.

‘The Bible says everything’ is not within the pages of the Bible…. "Many other signs also Jesus worked in the sight of His disciples, WHICH ARE NOT WRITTEN IN THIS BOOK. But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of GOD, and that believing you may have life in His Name." John 20:30-31
      "There are, however, many other things that Jesus did; but if every one of these should be written, NOT EVEN THE WORLD ITSELF, I THINK, COULD HOLD THE BOOKS THAT WOULD HAVE TO BE WRITTEN." John 21:25

Obviously Holy Scripture has said very clearly, that everything is NOT in Holy Scripture.

September 21, 2010 at 11:05 am |

Truthwillsetyoufree,

So in light of the above statements, you can see how, all due to Martin Luther, the splits began happening and are happening still today. It was most alarming to him because as soon as Luther separated from the Catholic Church in 1521, immediately there were squabbles between him, Zwingli, his fellow reformer from Switzerland, and Thomas Munzer. In that same year, Munzer broke away and formed the Anabaptists. John Calvin separated in 1536 and formed Calvinism. John Knox parted company and formed the Presbyterians in 1560. John Smith started the Baptists in 1609, and John and Charles Wesley started Methodism in 1739. From the moment they separated themselves from the Catholic Church, Protestantism lost their ability to properly interprete the Bible. They lost the Papacy and the Magisterium, and they lost all of the authority given to those two offices by GOD Himself.

September 21, 2010 at 11:09 am |

Truthwillsetyoufree,

We are talking about the House of God, not the mystical body of Christ here… The House of GOD is the Church of the Living GOD. Acts 20:28 [1Timothy 3:15….my favorite]
      The Pope has Authority as explained by Jesus in the Bible….. Catholic version or the ‘plain ole bible’ which you named, should have these verses…
      Luke
      Chapter 10 :16 Whoever listens to you listens to me. Whoever rejects you rejects me. And whoever rejects me rejects the one who sent me."
      These are Jesus’ words. He is talking to the Apostles. Peter is the first Pope and there is apostolic succession of popes down through history.
      Matthew
      Chapter 16 :19 I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven. Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."
      These are Jesus’ words and He is talking to Peter.

I will continue with your questions; I wish you would go back to my posts [that had to be split up] and take each question as I have yours…and give your answers….from the Bible…not an anti-Catholic site’s answers…Thank you….

September 21, 2010 at 11:13 am |

Truthwillsetyoufree,
      More House of God verses...these are not talking about the mystical body of Christ...
      The House of GOD is the Gate of Heaven. Genesis 28:17
      The House of GOD is the Kingdom of GOD. Luke 4:43
      The House of GOD is the City Set on a Mountain. Matthew 5:14
      The House of GOD is the Bride of Christ. John 3:29 Revelation 21:2
      The House of GOD is the Mother of us all. Galatians 4:26
      The House of GOD is the Pillar and Foundation of the Truth. 1Timothy 3:15
      The House of GOD is the Dispenser of the Wisdom of GOD. Ephesians 3:7-11.
      The House of GOD is the Only Church Which Was Given Authority by GOD. Luke 10:16, John 20:21-23
      The House of GOD is the Final Authority. Matthew 18:17
      The House of GOD Holds Periodic Church Councils. Proverbs 11:14,15:22, Acts 15:1-33

September 21, 2010 at 11:16 am |
  7. Truthwillsetyoufree

@CatholicMom

In a prior post you wrte to Kate:

CatholicMom

Kate,

Any time someone has a ‘problem’ with the Bible [a mistranslation] and goes against what the Catholic Church says about it, they are hijacking the Truth and turning it into their own [or someone else’s] assumptions. Some people read other’s assumptions and turn them into their own. Needless to say, this twisting of the Bible has been going on for years.

Just be aware of it, and know that if the assumption goes against what the Church says, it is a mistranslation. Along with the guidance of the Holy Spirit, the Church was able to choose which books were the inspired Word of God and thus we have the Bible.

You said:
    Just be aware of it, and know that if the a-s-s-u-m-ption goes against what the Church says, it is a mistranslation. Along with the guidance of the Holy Spirit, the Church was able to choose which books were the inspired Word of God and thus we have the Bible
    Why is that? It is always a "mistranslation" if it goes against what YOUR church says....Whatever books the Holy Spirit may have given, YOUR church with all its pope infallibility, have perverted the original teaching (that is given one even believes that Jesus referenced a "specific" religon, ie, Roman Catholic Church) I would take a good look at whom" twisted" anything, and if you see thru an uncloudy glass, you have to see your church as the great offender of this.

You almost seem like the pope IS god, and to go against what he says, is going against what Jesus said. Thats just not true. God did not say, here is the popery, do as you wish, even sin is ok if you deem it ok.
    Bottom line is, you need to read for yourself what Jesus said. This brainwashing needs to stop. Mayby that is why the RCC is now being called to the front lines, time to pay and change this evil thing they keep doing.

One more thing. You always question another persons
    religous" roots, any time something is said that don't pat Catholicism on the back.
    Don't concern yourself for me. I am saved, and read the word of God, from the bible itself. I keep the rules he laid down to the best of my ability. I know where I am going, according to his promise. I don't need to worry. I have peace.
    Telling other people they are all hell bound if they do not belong to your RCC, is very ignorant.
    Would you like people telling you that you and your family are going to Hell, because their religion is the ONLY true one?

September 19, 2010 at 9:07 am |

Truthwillsetyoufree,

You sound hurt and angry about something but you will never resolve those feelings if you spend your life trying to tear down the Catholic Church. Don’t you realize that ever since Jesus Christ founded His Church on Peter, 2000 years ago, that people have been trying to do just that but they forget the Words of the Bible, although they claim to adhere to these Words with all their being.

Jesus Christ told His Apostles to go out and Baptize all nations and that He would send the Paraclete to them to bring them into all the Truth that He had verbally given them, and to guide and guard them, and to bring them into any new Truth that He wants to give them because they could not bear to hear it all just then. You do not believe this? Surely you do because you love the Bible and believe it to be the inspired Word of God. You surely do not think that Jesus Christ was sending the Paraclete to each of us….because that is what Baptism is for….why else command the Apostles to go out to all the nations and Baptize everyone; and Jesus Christ spoke these words to the Apostles, all in one breath.

Now you know that the Apostles could not go out to all the nations of the world and Baptize everyone by themselves as they were only 12 men and so to ‘let another take his office’ is what they were to do, which is the Apostolic Succession. We already had 5 Popes by the time they put the Bible together!

September 19, 2010 at 11:51 am |

Truthwillsetyoufree,

The name Catholic Church only means ‘universal church’ and the name 'Catholic' was in use in writings as early as 107 AD which, if you read the statement, it appears the word ‘Catholic’ had been in use before the writing.

If you love the Bible as you surely do, you have to understand how it came into being. Now you, along with others, cling to your Bible [a derivative of the Original] and disrespect in the gravest manner, the Author! How many derivatives are there? Perhaps not as many as there are varying interpretations of it…over 35,000 but , it has come to this….35,000 differing ecclesial communities, all interpreting the Bible to suit their particular wants. Did the Paraclete come to each of these differing communities and give each a differing Truth? Absolutely not! The Bible tells us there is One Truth, One Way, One Life. How do all these differing communities resolve this happening?

September 19, 2010 at 11:53 am |

Truthwillsetyoufree,
      I think I have an idea as to what is happening today….

Have you noticed how so many Christians are saying…. ‘I am just ‘Christian’, in fact, I don’t believe in ‘religion’.’ This is because the splits keep happening and they don’t know if they can get to all of the 35,000 communities to find the Truth [because they are certain it can’t be the Catholic Church] so they either start a new split or say, ‘It is just me, my Bible [not the Catholic One] and Jesus.’

Why does everyone want to be their own Pope when Jesus Christ’s plan was perfect?

September 19, 2010 at 11:57 am |

Truthwillsetyoufree,

You said, ‘Don't concern yourself for me. I am saved, and read the word of God, from the bible itself. I keep the rules he la!d down to the best of my ability.'

Have you come to the part of the Bible where Jesus said He did not come for the righteous but to save sinners? [It is in the Catholic Bible].

He gave us Sacraments to help us live this life He gave us. Why would we need His help if we were already saved? You can find the Sacraments and read where they were inst!tuted in the Bible. Yes, Jesus Christ died on the Cross so that we might have life-everlasting; But He did not say that you could decide if you are to have ‘it’ on your own decision or by the way you live….He is still the only ONE who will judge us the moment we leave this earthly life. Is this not true? Or will you not go before Him when you die? Did He say He will not judge those who are self-righteous?

Yes, we can have an assurance through faith by the grace of God that we are saved and can have the hope of this, but we know that by our living this life [a gift of God’s love] we also are to work out our salvation with fear and trembling, and we have the promise that he who endures to the end will be saved. Why does the Bible say we should have faith, hope, and charity?

I do not worry either, for there is no time for it, but I will not presume that I have a free ticket into Heaven; I expect to be judged by God just as the Bible says…my end will correspond to my deeds.

The Bible tells us that scandal will come to the Church and woe to the person who perpetrates it. But it will not drive me from the Church because there is no place where sin does not show its ugly head as long as there are people involved; I believe that the evil that has been exposed is also prevalent in those 35,000 ecclesial communities even at a higher degree than in the Catholic Church [because there is data to prove it] but because the Catholic Church is the Church that Jesus Christ founded it will be the one satan will ‘work over’ with the greatest fervor and he is happy to us anyone who will do his will; But Jesus Christ promised that the evil one would not prevail over His Church.

Now there are tons of people who claim to be the Church….but they are not the House of God, and this is what we are talking about, not the mystical body of Christ.

God bless you as you search for the House of God…..

September 19, 2010 at 12:10 pm |

Truthwillsetyoufree,

Forgive me for breaking up my post to so many parts….I had to narrow down which words were being moderated and change them to get my message posted.

September 19, 2010 at 12:13 pm |
    • Kate

@CatholicMom

Because even if you accept that the plan was perfect (which I obviously don't), it suffers from one fatal flaw – the people who get elected to the position. I don't just mean Ratzinger, there have been others over the ages whose flaw was they had much less interest in tending to their flock as they did their flock tending to them. There have been very few John Paul IIs.

Just sayin'

September 19, 2010 at 12:19 pm |

Kate,

What people tend to forget, is that Popes are real people and carry the same concupiscence as you and I do. Though the Pope is infallible when speaking about faith and morals.

Everyone has their personal opinion on just about any topic you can think of…but Jesus Christ isn’t interested in our ‘personal opinions’ when it comes to His Plan. We either accept it or reject it. If there are any flaws they are not made by Jesus Christ and he knew how to lay out His plan to compensate for man’s flaws. I trust Him fully.

As you can tell, I love my Pope and my heart goes out to him should he hear all the hate filled remarks people make about him and the Catholic Church. I pray that the Holy Spirit will be with him as he works through the evil that besets the House of God. Though Jesus Christ did say that scandal shall come…..but woe to the one who brings it.

We should never cease to endeavor to eradicate evil wherever it is found.

September 19, 2010 at 2:32 pm |
    • HotAirAce

@CatholicMom

Please reconcile "that Popes are real people" and "is infallible when speaking about faith and morals" – you can't have it both ways. Sounds like your saying we should forgive them if they misbehave, but have blind faith in their judgements. Sorry, actions speak much louder than words, and there have been way too many eveil popes to put any faith in anything they say. Also, if each pope-a-dope is infallible when it comes to faith, how do you explain later popes changing previous popes decisions?

You've got deflection and volume down pat – now, if you could also add just a bit of logic, it might be more interesting exchanging views with you. As it is though, you just make me laugh – at you, the rcc and religion in general. Thanks for the giggles.

September 19, 2010 at 10:28 pm |

HotAirAce,

I can believe that Popes are real people graced with the Holy Spirit to speak the Truth where faith and morals are concerned because I have Faith in the Catholic Church, the Magisterium and the Bible; they each point to the same Truths.

I believe in the Holy Trinity which is one of those things we call a mystery, not that it is an unknown but that it is a known that we cannot fully understand in our limited abilities. God chose to reveal such Truths to us and when we cannot conceive how it can be by our common knowledge we do not dismiss it as an untruth. We are capable of understanding our limits but that does not disprove Truths.

No Pope has changed doctrine. Precepts may be changed whenever the Church see a path that will be helpful to bring the people closer to God which is what the Church is all about. Sacrificing meat on Fridays was a way to help us keep mindful of the Sacrifice that Jesus made for us. Today we are still to do sacrifice but we can choose what and how we sacrifice. The other day I sacrificed an ice cream [which I really wanted] for the purpose of bringing more fully the Great Sacrifice Jesus made for me; it was effective.

I am sorry that you find me less than optimal for exchanging views but, go ahead, have your fun and then get down to business and explain ‘why do you think you have no Faith’….. More than 80% of the USA has a Christian Faith; then there are others who have differing faiths but they do claim to have faith….so why do you have none? How many ‘do not’, do you think, and how does that happen?

September 20, 2010 at 4:13 pm |
    • HotAirAce

@CatholicMom

Your mystical and delusional responses are just another attempt at deflection – this time deflecting attention away from your irrational beleive in the perfection of pope-a-dope and the rcc by asking me about my (lack of) faith. I've got lots of faith, in many people and many things – just none in your supersti-tions and the charlatans that lead you in your silly rituals. If I was to become momentarily religious, I would pray that your children are able to remove the chains of religion I assume you are binding them to the rcc with. THERE ARE NO GODS – NONE!!

September 20, 2010 at 11:56 pm |
  8. Truthwillsetyoufree

@CatholicMom
    How do you people stay in a church that has defiled the word of God, and defend it?

Tell me that Jesus gave anybody under the cloak of popery to commit sin and justify it.

September 19, 2010 at 8:42 am |
  9. Truthwillsetyoufree

@CatholicMom
    If you are asking me ths question?

Yes, I read the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I listen to his words, not words from some popes that "interpet" everything for me. The CatholicChurch is one of the very worse "religions", just read what they have and are still doing. I cannot believe that people are still so naieve, they are still buying into this bull!
    Catholics cannot think for themselves, but go by every word the CC says is true. I hate to tell you, but your in for a rude awakening someday.
    You seem like a person who loves the Lord, but you better READ for yourself. I challenge you to pick up any bible NOT the Catholic one, and ask the Holy Spirit to reveal his truth to you. Stop being misled these Magesterium and other books that mean nothing. They are words and rules made by man, not God.

Mayby this can help open your eyes

September 19, 2010 at 8:33 am |

Truthwillsetyoufree,

You said, ' I challenge you to pick up any bible NOT the Catholic one,...'

Which one do you suggest?....they all are derivatives of the Catholic Bible. I think I will stick with the ORIGINAL!

September 22, 2010 at 8:42 pm |
  10. Truthwillset you free..

In a 4/3/91 letter written by Pope John Paul II, addressed to "my beloved Muslim brothers and sisters," the Pope said, "I close my greeting to you with the words of one of my predecessors Pope Gregory VII, who in 1076 wrote to Al-Nasir, the Muslim ruler of Bijaya, present day Algeria: 'We believe in and confess one God, admittedly in a different way, and daily praise and venerate him, the creator of the world and the ruler of this world.'" The name Allah, was not invented by Muhammad, but was the name of a pagan god, long known and worshiped in the Middle East. In pre-Islamic days, Allah worship was on par with Baal worship, both originating in the Babylon region and both being Astral religions: the Sun, Moon, and Stars were the objects of worship. An Allah idol was one of some 360 idols in the Kabah, the sacred building at Mecca, now containing the famous black stone, a place of Islamic prayer and pilgrimages., the place to which the faithful turn to pray, again not new to Islam, but a practice of very ancient origins. The tribe into which Muhammad was born was devoted to the god Allah, Allah being the personal name of the Moon god. That the Pope worships a god other than the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ ought not surprise us when one considers that both Islam and Romanism come from the same Babylonian stock. (Source: 8/94, Perilous Times.)

September 18, 2010 at 7:41 pm |
    • CatholicMom

Do you have any religious roots?

September 18, 2010 at 8:21 pm |
  11. Truthwillset you free..

Throughout Central and South America, Catholicism is in the most blatant partnership with spiritism and paganism. In Brazil, Aparecida is the largest cathedral in the world next to St. Peters in Rome. It is dedicated to a small idol of a "Black Virgin" - pulled from a nearby lake in a fishing net - that now performs "miracles." The Pope came to honor this idol in 1991. At the mass, the priest led the people in prayers and songs to the idol, asking it for salvation and dedicating their lives to it. Aparecida's large bookstore also carries many of the same "positive" books that delude Protestants - books in Portuguese by American authors, from Norman Vincent Peale to "Christian psychologists." (Reported in the October 1991, CIB Bulletin.)

September 18, 2010 at 7:37 pm |
  12. Truthwillset you free..

for anyone that wants to learn more on the Pope and his bent and inverted cross
    Check this out..don't let the words fool you, this about the not so wonderful P-O-P-E...pictures don't lie
    Please leave out dashes if you need to google

September 18, 2010 at 7:09 pm |
  13. Truthwillset you free..

@CatholicMom
    Some papal history of the Catholic Church..not a pretty thing. You may have to type the word a-n-t-i in google
    w/o gaps.
    The horrors the RCC has done thru time.

September 18, 2010 at 7:05 pm |
  14. Truthwillset you free..

@Kate
    That was very true Kate. I left the CatholicChurch because of all the t-w-i-s-ted l-i-es. It was h-i-ja-cked, no mis-tr-a-n-sl-a-tion there. If Jesus wanted evrybody to only be Catholic, then why didn't he just say..Hey, guys, be Catholic or go to H-e-l-l-. There would be no reason for Jesus to sac-ri-fice his self on the cross, you could just go to p-u-r-g-a-tory, and get one of your Catholic friends to pray you out. Oh yeah, and not do any M-O-R-T-A-L sins, just some v-e-n-ia-ls. Which to me has always smacked Salvation in the face to begin with. The RCC is the biggest lie to ever grace mankind.

I treid to write more and 3x went to moderation.>sigh<

September 18, 2010 at 7:00 pm |
  15. mishmash

Before you make nasty criticisms and feel qualified to judge others one would assume that you have made absolutely sure that your own houses are in order and immaculate!

September 18, 2010 at 3:14 pm |
    • Did it once at least - how bout you?

@mishmash

I will tell you that I drove demons out of my house with the sharpest of blades. They threatened me, saying, "You're going to die!"
      But I just laughed and told them that I am positively looking forward to it.
      The rooms were clear, the floor was bare, and the truth was in my hand and it was sharp. They could not stand against it.

Do you have anything like that? Sharp? Sharp enough to drive away demons?
      Just remember that it cuts both ways.
      I remember what it felt like to drive them out. Have you ever done anything like that? What does it look like inside your house?

September 19, 2010 at 8:55 am |
    • CatholicMom

When confronted, just say, “Jesus save me”. Jesus name is Truth and is as sharp as a double edge sword.

September 19, 2010 at 10:24 am |
    • KneeDeepInDelusion

Garlic, folks, garlic.

Oh yeah, then spin around three times and shout, "Oooooga Booooga!"

September 19, 2010 at 1:13 pm |
  16. mishmash

how many of you are going to be working so tirelessly and seflessly like this great and dignified man when you are in your 80s?

September 18, 2010 at 3:11 pm |
  17. JackoB

People will make a scene about anything, huh? Must spend a lot of time looking for things to troll...

September 18, 2010 at 12:06 pm |
  18. Satan

No one is aware of me..I don't even get honorable mention.lol. I guess thats because I am a master illusonist. Not even my mention in the bible is noted, and hardly spewed. No one believes in me. It is good. Makes my job easier. I can continue my work in the church, tempting and causing all manner of sin, they can blame in on the Pope. No one believes in Fairy tales (I am a fairy tale)
    My piggies know my voice..and obey. Nice work my children, nice work! Keep shovin it to Tony, he is not of our world!
    I will keep the home fires burnin, till my children come to warm themselves by the fire, and no more will they be tormented by those stupid Christians.

September 18, 2010 at 10:13 am |
    • Kate

Quit playing the victim, you got an entire blog post and comments for the convention in Oklahoma City the other day!

Yeesh, what is it with these people? Always got to find something to nitpick about blog comments! Next we're going to have half the Greek Pantheon showing up demanding equal airtime!

Just sayin'

September 18, 2010 at 12:07 pm |

Satan,

Do not feel ignored! Believe me, the Catholic Church speaks of you and your ways every day. She warns us continually to beware of you.

You may be neglected in ecclesial communities, where following you and your whims apparently has no affect on their souls because they are already guaranteed salvation no matter what they do with their freewill; however if Catholics follow you into sin, it becomes noticed by the world.

I know how you hate the Sacraments and I am sure it is painful for you to witness Christians taking part in them. They help put out the fires you start! Bet that makes you red in the face with hatred.

Yes, yours know you, and I suppose you just hate it when they start to use their consciences, and so you just keep thu-mping on them, you devil, you!

So what is your next move? Are you planning more splits or are you satisfied with the 35,000 or so?

September 18, 2010 at 1:43 pm |
    • KneeDeepInDelusion

I'm thinking that this Satan dude inspired the words of these "holy" books. Sprinkle on some sugar of love, peace, life everlasting and a few aphorisms that make sense - they'll swallow the rest of it. Bwaaahahahha....

September 18, 2010 at 2:03 pm |
    • Farted in your general direction

@Satan

If "Satan" is real, then so, I guess, is "God".
      If God is real, then I can only view with satisfaction your final disposition, for you, as a mere concept or not, suck.

As for you who like to play games without making a joke, what a sad dribble-pate you are being.

I like a joke as much as the next guy (as long as the next guy has a good sense of humor), but when were you going to get around to that? Did you forget and push the "post" button too quickly? Did I miss some punch-line?
      Was there a point you wanted to make? Can't you let us know what you want?

Tell us in your own words somewhere. Give it a shot and let us know what you think we should hear.

*sigh* Well, at least you didn't misspell Satan as "Satin". What is it with kids and spelling anyway? Too much texting?

September 19, 2010 at 9:18 am |
  19. TheCatholicGuy

For all those of you who spew their hatred to the Church founded by Jesus, what can be said except maybe:

For as you judge, so will you be judged, and the measure with which you measure will be measured out to you.
    Why do you notice the splinter in your brother's eye, but do not perceive the wooden beam in your own eye?
    How can you say to your brother, 'Let me remove that splinter from your eye,' while the wooden beam is in your eye?
    You hypocrite, 3 remove the wooden beam from your eye first; then you will see clearly to remove the splinter from your brother's eye.

September 18, 2010 at 8:24 am |
    • Truth cuts both ways yes

And you have judged no one? There is no "wooden beam" in your eye?
      Yet you will not allow anyone to question your religion? Your actions? Your crimes?

You point and call everybody a hypocrite if they hate your Church, but your religion is a system of beliefs that require no proof other than the assertions made by humans like yourself. Anyone would appear to be a hypocrite to you under those circu-mstances.

And you don't even have proof that Jesus said those words.
      You don't even have proof that God exists.
      You are a deluded child in a universe that will kiII you, and you cling to your fantasies because they comfort you.
      But they hurt others – where's the comfort there?

I want to see you healed of your delusions so that you can live with the rest of us in peace and harmony.

If I judge you by your "fruits" and you see me "spewing hate", then consider what it is that I am seeing for myself. Is it possible that I might be right? I certainly have plenty of proof on my side. Your Catholic Church is filled with the most vile of fruits....and many of those fruits are the direct result of your "scriptures".
      But why hate evil? Why don't we all just love evil and forget the evil fruits of your Church and "its" members?
      Why don't we all just let all the evil escape so that more evil can be done to the innocent?

Evil or Good? Which path will you choose? Or have you already chosen the path that leads down into the dark?
      Your Church is EVIL. Your system of beliefs is EVIL. If you follow those beliefs you will do EVIL even as you are the victim of EVIL.

Hear me then, robot of delusion: Your Church has no defense against the TRUTH no matter how much you try to hide it, for it is everywhere.
      You cannot hide the universe.
      My eyes are open. If I have a log in one eye, the other eye can still see fine.

And it sees your lies as lies. You are the one that see lies as truth. My hate is just an emotional reaction to your schizophrenic criminal behavior.
      If I could heal you I would.
      I do not hate you personally, just your insanity. Sound familiar? Good.

September 18, 2010 at 9:36 am |
    • Kate

@TheCatholicGuy

Technically speaking, it isn't the Church founded by Jesus, or even the Church founded by Peter, it's the Church hijacked by Paul.

And maybe people wouldn't hate it so much if it would stop protecting pedophile priests behind a cloak of secrecy, intimidation, and extortion.

Just sayin'

September 18, 2010 at 12:05 pm |

Kate,

September 18, 2010 at 1:10 pm |
    • peace2all

@CatholicMom

Hi CM..... You know, I have learned to like and respect you....eventhough we are in 'separate universes' regarding are beliefs and worldviews.

However, sometimes...... I just gotta' remind you a bit of possibly some *self-righteousness* that *occassionally* creeps into your posting regarding the Catholic Church = no fault.... Catholic Church=The truth....Catholic Church's Bible interpretation= The one and only *Truth*...Etc....Etc.....

Now I now that you know that I all about equal opportunity in my disdain for pretty much all forms of christianity, and other monotheistic and a good portion of the polytheistic religions.

But.... you are coming across again with the argument.....MY religion (or my brand of christianity) is the absolute right one, and anybody else is all wrong.

I know you have asked us all...i.e... Me, .Kate, Frogist, David J., and others to attempt to seek Jesus and let him into our hearts.

I might suggest that you do the same as far as dialing down the Catholic rhetoric a bit.....

But as always...... Respect and Peace to you CM.......

September 18, 2010 at 3:36 pm |

Peace2all,

I respect your opinion and the right to have it. Maybe my opinions sound too opinionated to you and you have the right to state that.

There are remarks and notions I read on these blogs such as ‘THERE IS NO GOD! THE BIBLE IS A FAIRYTALE’ with lengthy slams that go on and on. I don’t feel that all I should say is to those remarks is ‘they are untrue’ and leave it at that; surely you have read them yourself and perhaps added to them with encouragement, if nothing else; I would be a fool to keep the Truth to myself when I see there is a desperate need for it out there!

It may be coming across as ‘my religion,’ ‘my Church’, ‘my Bible’, ‘my Pope’, ‘my Truth’, and if that is true, so be it; it could be yours, too, if you wanted it; but you said you have a real distain for such things….so it is….there are some who have it and some who don’t. It is a personal choice.

I happen to love my faith and I only share it out of love. Some go to great lengths in stating their distain for the things I love but I guess I am supposed to ‘hold back’. So much ‘for your equal opportunity’….nonbelievers can keep going down that long and wide path, full bore, but you want me to ‘dial down’….

For years, Catholics held back on speaking out….not wanting to offend the unbeliever or appear pushy, as they like to claim we are…’shoving it down their throats’,…it is such a popular, worn-out comment….; Self-righteous….really? Catholics are the only ones that I know of who think that God is going to judge us, our souls, at the moment of our dying; it is not for us to judge ourselves or anyone else. But I am not surprised that I am being judged now.

There are those who are trying to trash what is sacred, so our Catholic silence will be heard no more.

May the peace of God be with you and the whole world….

September 18, 2010 at 5:13 pm |
    • peace2all

@CatholicMom

O.K..... CM..... I truly do wish you Peace...now.... and in the afterlife...should there be one.... And if there is.....you and I can have a chat about how I was wrong....

Peace to you....

September 18, 2010 at 5:27 pm |
    • CatholicMom

If I get to go there, I'd love to take you with me. If I am not there when you get there, would you drop me a helping hand, please?

September 18, 2010 at 6:12 pm |
    • peace2all

@CatholicMom

If....I should get there first.... I would most certainly 'drop you a helping hand'...... The angels will introduce us..... Catholic Mom...meet Peace2all... You 2 remember each other, don't you........ Now go along and play nice....!

Peace.....

September 18, 2010 at 6:17 pm |
  20. YCF

Secularism is the idea of removing all religious influence from the government. Why is the Poop against it? Obviously he wants the UK to be under Catholic rule again.

September 18, 2010 at 7:14 am |