home
RSS
September 25th, 2010

O'Donnell in 1998: 'Evolution is a myth'

Editor's Note: CNN's Jeff Simon brings us this report from the CNN Political Ticker.

(CNN) – Keeping to his promise that he would release a controversial video clip of Delaware GOP Senate candidate Christine O’Donnell every week until she appears on his television show, liberal comedian Bill Maher unveiled another clip of the Tea Party favorite on Friday.

In the latest clip, culled from a 1998 episode of Maher’s old show “Politically Incorrect,” O’Donnell is shown vehemently asserting that “evolution is a myth.”

A stupefied Maher asks, “Have you ever looked at a monkey?” to which O’Donnell replies, “Well then...why aren’t monkeys still evolving into humans?”

Maher aired the clip on his current HBO show, "Real Time with Bill Maher."

Read the rest on the CNN Political Ticker.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Culture & Science • Politics

1. Nick

Americans are the dumbest peolpe in the world.
    No one else comes close to their level, it's just amazing. Thanks God I'm German.

October 10, 2010 at 3:26 pm |
  2. Big_Pause

We have this mainstream show in the UK on BBC called Bang Goes The Theory, here's a short piece http://richarddawkins.net/videos/527044-bang-goes-the-theory-richard-dawkins-on-eye-evolution on the evolution of the eye with the mighty Prof D. Bit pop science, but well made in my opinion. In focusing on the evolution of one organ, it does a fine job.

October 3, 2010 at 4:29 pm |
  3. sky

U tea bagger aka republicans get no capitals letter in my words. The party you represent is little minded. If you really loved this country u wouldn't TRASH it you would help CLEAN it up. tea bagger are avocating a 23% TAX increase on Food, Cloths, Toys, appliances- washers and dryers look it up.I am begin 100. Cut Health Care, S.S., School programs and Unemployment Benefits for workers laid off, when we pay money into Unemployment,we should be able to get our benefits back when we lose our jobs. It's not because we don't want to work, I guess u think I can live off 265 dolars a week max Unemployment Benefits. I guess give more of my money to BIG BUSINESS and wall street. INDEPENDENTS C THE TRUTH. God Bless the Dem and Independents

October 1, 2010 at 1:59 am |
  4. sky

U tea bagger aka republicans get no capitals letter in my words. The party you represent is little minded. If you really loved this country u wouldn't TRASH it you would help CLEAN it up. tea bagger are avocating a 23% TAX increase on Food, Cloths, Toys, appliances- washers and dryers look it up.I am begin 100. Cut Health Care, S.S., School programs and Unemployment Benefits for workers laid off, when we pay money into Unemployment,we should be able to get our benefits back when we lose our jobs. It's not because we don't want to work, I guess u think I can live off 265 dolars a week max in Unemployment Benefits. I guess give more of my money to BIG BUSINESS and wall street. INDEPENDENTS C THE TRUTH. Support OBAMA

October 1, 2010 at 1:56 am |
  5. ICEMAN

dude when i'm on here i'm at work, lol so i can't find it but i know a show i love to watch is called through the worm hole, it has some of the leading scientist in their fields and one of them also said it i can't remember the show topic but why does it seem to me that you are trying to belittle me, someway my friend, oh and when i'm using CAPTS it's to really bring out not that i'm getting worked up, you should see my threads in my Naruto Group lol, BUT THAT'S Y I'M ASKING YOU IF YOU EVER RUN ACROSS A SCIENTIST JUST ASK THEM THAT QUESTION THAT'S ALL, so take it how you want to but JUST LIKE CHRISTIANS WHO WOULDN'T GIVE YOU A TIME OF DAY, YOU WANT DO THIS ONE THING FOR ME? I've listened to yall's theorys and it's brillant "honestly" AND started looking into it myself. As I was little my mind was always on this book is correct BUT when i got older i started looking at other options, still a christian, "part of the way" but knowing that this book is flawed mostly by man, taking things out. adding things "like white Jesus" and so forth. I believe i could answer anything if i had the complete word of God but until i do i have to use the words i have. Oh being mocked, making fun of,put down is nothing new cause when i started thinking for myself my Family turned their backs on me , saying i was apart of a cult. lol so we can debate i'm well i do get turned up but not like you stated. If you come, come hard and have good intentions behind it. Peace2All is what i'm about

September 29, 2010 at 2:11 am |
  6. notforsale

As a Christian, my HOPE and belief is not locked on mankind. My faith is a blessing and has helped me to get through what mankind dishes out. Believe in what you choose to believe. My beliefs teach me not to mock, ridicule or judge those that think differently than I do. I don't feel the need to convince the scientific mind that they are wrong. After reading this blog . . . I completely understand this administrations purpose in pushing and highly funding the "sciences". It will aid in the destruction of a faith based nation of citizens. Their HOPE and faith will be reduced to man – which man?

September 29, 2010 at 12:45 am |
    • ICEMAN

i likr that

September 29, 2010 at 1:06 am |
    • NL

Think about how many times daily you put your faith and hope in a person. The doctor that is screening you for cancer, the mechanic that just fixed your car, the driver of the commuter train you take to work, your children's teachers... They are all people, and you trust them on your history with each. You might pray to God to guide them, and think of them as His instruments, but when you get right down to it it's the individual person in each case you put your faith in, and choose on that basis. You wouldn't intentionally go to a bad mechanic, would you? So what's wrong with this, or any administrations', desire to raise the standards of professionalism in this country?

September 29, 2010 at 8:43 am |
  7. God is Real

NL

The Earth really doesn't have foundations you know, it's a sphere in space. The stars aren't fixed in the sky and the sun doesn't revolve around the Earth either. The bible got all of that wrong. Not that you have any practical need to know this, however. It isn't like NASA is going to recruit you to become an astronaut, or that you'll ever leave this planet by ANY other means, is it?

Its a figure of speech that God used. Why do you people always want to tear it down? I personally could care less about all the evolution things, what caused this and that. I KNOW there is a God, even if everything in the bible was mistranlated, I still believe in God, NOTHING will ever change that.
    I don't understand, if atheist people don't want to believe. why keep tearing down what you don't believe in to begin with?

September 28, 2010 at 11:30 pm |
    • NL

God is Real-
      If God uses figures of speech in the Bible then how are christians supposed to know when he was speaking literally, or not?

If Christian people don't want to believe in the Qur'an, astrology, evolution, gay marriage and a bazillion other things then why keep tearing down what they don't believe in to begin with? I don't understand?

September 29, 2010 at 8:30 am |
  8. ICEMAN

WELL many of you on here are bashing People who believe in a God BUT just do your research on this MORE AND MORE SCIENTIST ARE STARTING TO BELIEVE IN A HIGHER POWER. Ask yourself Y? because to them it seems that what they are finding out about the universe. You may put this down but since alotof you on here are just "smartier" lol i'm crazy, just go find you one and ask him that question. Say hey why are more and more scientist starting to believe in a higher power? If you are not afraid to ask and see what he tell you since someone of faith can't cause it would go in one ear and out the other. And by the way Evolution is a good theory i'm not putting it down, and i don't think people who believe in it are lame.

September 28, 2010 at 9:09 pm |
    • NL

"MORE AND MORE SCIENTIST ARE STARTING TO BELIEVE IN A HIGHER POWER. Ask yourself Y?"

Christian universities, or can parents hand out doctorates to their home-schooled children?

September 28, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
    • HotAirAce

I won't ask you to prove the existence of god, but I will ask you to provide facts to support your claim that more and more scientists are turing to god. Please put up or shup up!

September 28, 2010 at 11:51 pm |
    • ICEMAN

@ hot air ace it was on a show i watched about BlackEnergy and Matter..... then i seen a couple of sites about a year ago, but if you just ask " if
      you can find one, ask them . They maynot believe but i bet they can tell you why they believe others are . Don't get me wrong it's not alot so don't trip but the number is growing alittle.

September 29, 2010 at 1:26 am |
    • HotAirAce

Please join your thumper friend above in a chill pill. You are, figuratively if not literally, foaming at the mouth. Also please join him in providing proof of scientists moving to god. Without facts we can verify, we will have to call b*ll st*ff. Please note that Deanna tried similar argument in here earlier and she was shown to be wrong in seconds, and of course, she has disappeared without even the good grace to say thanks for the education.

I see you have replied and that you do not have any such evidence – just "a friend of a friend said" kind of response...

You say number of scientists moving to god is small but growing. Can you quantify that? Is this number/rate bigger or smaller than the growth rates of major religions or aetheism? Or is this assertion "strike two!"?

September 29, 2010 at 1:36 am |