home
RSS
October 1st, 2010

CNN's Rick Sanchez out after controversial comments on Jews

CNN anchor Rick Sanchez left the network Friday afternoon, a day after making some controversial comments, including this about TV host Jon Stewart:

"I'm telling you that everybody who runs CNN is a lot like Stewart, and a lot of people who run all the other networks are a lot like Stewart, and to imply that somehow they, the people in this country who are Jewish, are an oppressed minority? Yeah."

Sanchez was responding to a question from XM Sirius radio host Pete Dominick, who noted that Stewart is Jewish after Sanchez had called him "a bigot," saying Stewart is biased against "everybody else who's not like him."

Full story here.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Judaism • TV

1. lynn brown

The only "real" commentator on CNN. I will never watch CNN again. You hire Eliot Spitzer to host a show and you fire Rick Sanchez. You people are Morans. Hope he works for a rival network and impact your poor ratings even more.

October 1, 2010 at 8:51 pm |
    • Steven

"You people are Morans".

The irony is palpable...

October 2, 2010 at 7:09 am |
  2. JG

Let me get this straight: The same day Rahm Emanuel voluntarily leaves the White House, Rick Sanchez is forced out of CNN.

Sanchez was wrong to say what he did about Jews . It can be used to fuel more anti-Semitism, something that nobody—Jewish or otherwise—needs. However, Emanuel used a vicious slur on people with disabilities (His “@#$% retards” comment). All he had to do was issue an apology and he stayed on as the second most powerful person in Washington.

The fact that Rick Sanchez’s comments were ill-advised and unfortunate notwithstanding, Emanuel’s were just venomous. Emanuel shouldn’t have left today: He should have left the morning after his smear on the disabled, and Rich Sanchez should have been allowed to stay (contingent upon an apology).

October 1, 2010 at 8:50 pm |
    • Iqbal khan

can you please explain Semitism and anti-semitism why are we all so hell bent on this word. there are more important Issues.

October 1, 2010 at 9:50 pm |
    • CatholicMom

JG,
      Rahm Emanuel is at least smart enough to leave now [with another possible job as mayor of Chicago] because he knows he will be leaving shortly anyway…

October 1, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
  3. sami

I guess I m done with CNN.....

October 1, 2010 at 8:48 pm |
  4. flor orantes

The only ONE reason why I ever care to watch is gone..Rick Sanchez made me think that Yes CNN was non racial specially with latinos, has all kinds of blacks specially after Obama. I heard the full interview being Hispanic I do know what he is talking about. I dont watch Jon Stewart for the same reasons that Rick explained but I'm glad I dont ever have to turn into CNN ever again.

October 1, 2010 at 8:46 pm |
  5. Chris

I'm kind of mixed on how I feel about this. On one hand I think Rick went too far with his comments, nearing Mel Gibson level. On the other hand CNN didn't need to fire him. I'm intelligent enough to recognize that the opinion of one man does not reflect on the whole network. Rick has always spoken his mind and I applaud him for that, they should have known that eventually he'd say something controversial, and been prepared to deal with it. Rick on the other hand comes off a little paranoid, it seems like he's seeing adversaries in the shadows. The Daily Show and Colbert Report are not serious news shows, they are comedies, and they try to stir up this kind of thing for their own benefit. To be threatened by that is ridiculous.

October 1, 2010 at 8:38 pm |
    • Rudy

Did you hear the interview?! There is no way you can compare Rick Sanchez and Mel Gibson.

October 1, 2010 at 11:07 pm |
  6. freethegop

I keep reading and hearing coverage that Sanchez was fired because he said: "Jews run all media." But I can't find anywhere where he said that. One can't seriously put those words in his mouth on the basis of the belief by some that he implied that. If so, then on the same basis, why have the headlines NOT been plastered with:

"Gingrich Says: 'Blacks are Inferior."
    "Gingrich Says: "Colonialism & Slavery Were Good for Blacks"
    "Palin Says: 'Real Americans are White Like me.'"
    "Tea Party agrees with Tancredo: 'Bring Back Segregation."
    "Glenn Beck Says: 'Obama is an Ape."
    "Bill O'Reilly Says: "Michele Obama Deserves to be Lynched."
    Etc.Etc. Etc.

Unless, of course, those outraged at Sanchez think it's OK to make THESE implications about Blacks. That would say volumes about them. To my knowledge, NOBODY has had their show taken away or not invited back on TV for implying the above things about Blacks or similar ones about Latinos

October 1, 2010 at 8:37 pm |
    • freethegop

Definition of a "true minority" (not a numerical one): A group that is unable to prevent giving media time to those who make the above implications about Blacks or Latinos (e.g., those made by Gingrich, Palin, Tancredo, Tea Party, Glenn Beck, Fox, Republicans, Conservatives, members of various ethnic groups and numerical minorities, etc).

October 1, 2010 at 8:52 pm |
    • Misty Jean Moore

Don Imus – nappy headed hoes. FIRED!

October 1, 2010 at 9:11 pm |
    • David Johnson

@Misty Jean Moore

As he should have been.

October 1, 2010 at 9:16 pm |
    • Iqbal khan

i agree with U

October 1, 2010 at 9:52 pm |
    • freethegop

@MistyJeanMoore: Imus is back on the air. But even before he was fired, CNN and others had him on as well as many of his defenders. They and even CNN hosts themselves were making arguments that implied that it was really Black rappers who were to blame for what Imus said. Programs were devoted to making that case as well. That ain't going to happen with Sanchez.

Don't you just love it that some can find one or two exceptions as if that makes up for the countless examples that fit the partial list of implications I listed above and that saturate the media everyday in one form or another?

October 1, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
    • freethegop

p.s. Imus didn't even make implications. He said "nappy headed hoes" straight out and the case was still being made that it was the fault of Black rappers. A lot of air time was given to people making that case. That Blacks couldn't stop that from happening proves out my definition of an oppressed or ethnic minority above. Again, nothing like that is going to happen with Sanchez. Additional evidence supporting my definition.

October 1, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
    • freethegop

Since Sanchez was responding to the interviewer asserting that Jews were an oppressed ethnic minority group just like Latinos, I offer the following definition of a "true" ethnic/oppressed minority" (not a numerical minority): "A group that is unable to prevent giving media time to those who make implications about Blacks or Latinos that they are: inferior, not real Americans, apes, better off because of slavery and colonialism, the cause of the collapse of the economy and decline of the Nation, prone to crime, only interested in their own kind, the real racists, too stupid or language deficient to vote, etc. (i.e., implications made by Gingrich, Palin, Tancredo, Tea Party leaders, Glenn Beck, Eric Kantor, Fox, a plethora of Republicans, Conservatives, and members of various ethnic groups and numerical minorities, etc)."

October 1, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
    • Karen

He pointed out the racism that exists in the highest levels of the media, and they hate being exposed, so he was fired. CNN was a world class, groundbreaking station under Ted Turner. Now it's a joke.

October 2, 2010 at 12:33 am |
    • b martinez

let be honest,while i do not agree with r. sachez comment, there are somethings you can not say in america because of what certain races have gone through in history. that fact of the matter is that what make this country great is the fact that you are allowed to express what you think. i do not believe a persons opinion should be grounds for firing a person. a persons opinion, although, insensitive it is right !

October 2, 2010 at 4:44 am |
  7. Crusader

Ohh and why is CNN hiding this BIG story in a section No One looks at. I had to search for Rick's firing. Probably not even announced on CNN TV either I bet. Thank Goodness for Drudge Report. Should be your Homepage for all America if you want the truth and to actually see stories that all Liberal news agency's don't want you to see.

October 1, 2010 at 8:32 pm |
    • David Johnson

Not a big story. Who cares about Rick Sanchez?

Oh gee, I guess CNN will just have to stop broadcasting now that Rick Sanchez isn't on. LOL

Maybe Sanchez can get on with Faux. He is about the same caliber as lunatic Beck.

The Republican Party and especially the Republican Tea Party, are puppets of the Religious Right.

The Christian Right wants a Christian Nation, a theocracy, with Jesus as head of state. The Religious Right would be the only ones who can hear Jesus, so they would tell the rest of us His will.

God help the gays, the Muslims, the children and the retired people if the Republican racists take over Congress. Social Security will be slashed or done away with. Same for Medicare. Gay rights and Free Choice will be erased. The enti tlement programs for the poor and children will be taken away.

It will be a sad day for the poor and middle class if the Republicans do win in November.

On the other hand, the richest of the rich will get a tax break.

I hope the people wake up and reject these Republican bigots.

October 1, 2010 at 9:13 pm |
    • RJ

The good news, David, is that WHEN the Republicans win in November, the "rich" tax break won't be anything like the tax break given to those earning less than $30K who in many cases actually get money back via the earned income credit rather than paying any tax at all. Hmmmm A "tax break" for those paying nothing. Makes a lot of sense to me.

Is there something wrong with a Christian based country? I am far from religious, but if it is OK to support Islam, I guess it is ok to be a Christian. Although, based on your statements, it appears you have a some anger toward this faith.

October 1, 2010 at 9:35 pm |
    • David Johnson

@RJ

You said, "See you at the Polls in November. Maybe together we can reverse the current wave of the nanny state."

Yep, and consider that my vote will cancel yours. Cheers!

October 1, 2010 at 9:44 pm |
    • CatholicMom

David Johnson,
      No, it won’t, because you will come to your senses by then….

October 1, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
    • MikeJ in Houston

Drudge??? Drudge??? Now there's a right wing propaganda screed if there ever was one! That's what Looney Limbaugh
      uses for the source of his "Excellence In Journalism" drivel !!!

October 3, 2010 at 4:15 pm |
  8. Abraham Gelabert

The firing of Rick Sanchez for expressing his opinions ,was a big mistake by CNN. Obviously the brass at CNN lacks courage and is largely ignorant of issues facing Hispanics in this country. I believed he represented a proud Hispanic minority mostly unrepresented in any of the networks. Well, you just lost the largest growing audience in your network, including me. Good bye CNN.

October 1, 2010 at 8:31 pm |
  9. Crusader

Thank goodness Rick Sanchez is gone. Next MSNBC needs to get rid of Keith Oberman and send him back to the minor leagues. Litteraly, he's a sports journalist not the hater of half of America; the Republicans. What a piece a liberal bias crap Keith Oberman is. Rick seemed little better I must admit, but had way too many stories against me and my crew the republicans. Way too sensitive, let go of your high horse ethnic BS and get real Rick.
    Go TEA PARTY. NOVEMBERS COMIN.

October 1, 2010 at 8:29 pm |
    • Dave Sambone

Wow. Are you for real? Olbermann is the best journalist we have, in the same league as Edward Murrow and Cronkite. He obviously realized that sports journalism was a none-way ticket to a wasted career writing about things that can't change the world or make it a better place. Good luck in November with your rich-people catering, big-business Tea Party and GOP crap. I'm going to vote for the middle class, and that means not voting republican.

October 14, 2010 at 2:12 pm |
    • Hank Castello

Keith Olbermann, Chris Matthews and Rachel Maddow are three of the finest journalists and finest human beings on the planet!

If only congress had such ethical people!

October 25, 2010 at 4:12 pm |
  10. Hermes

I think CNN should not have fired Rick Sanchez- HE TELLS IT LIKE IT IS !!!!! BOO ! ON CNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!

October 1, 2010 at 8:26 pm |
    • Iqbal khan

I agree with you he is been punished unjustly just to speak his mind, I thought this is a free country and at least here you can speak freely not soooo...

October 1, 2010 at 9:41 pm |
  11. dg

good riddance to Rick. He was an idiot.

October 1, 2010 at 8:26 pm |
    • David Johnson

Amen!

October 1, 2010 at 9:35 pm |
    • xm

dg is an idiot

October 4, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  12. CatholicMom

Rick Sanchez was always one of my favorites…don’t worry, someone will be happy to have him, and he will again visit our home via tv! You could tell Rick had to hold to the ‘down with the Catholics’ rhetoric and that must have been hard on him. Now hopefully, he will join up with people who let him be who he is.
    God is watching out for him….staying at CNN was most likely ruining his health. Anyone else who cannot speak his/her mind and is feeling ‘held back’ and stressed…follow Rick…and don’t look back.

October 1, 2010 at 8:25 pm |
    • David Johnson

Did god tell you he is watching out for Sanchez?

For all you know, god hates Sanchez 'cause he badmouthed his chosen people.

That's probably why Sanchez was fired. God was angry. God may smite Sanchez's worthless buns.

October 1, 2010 at 9:35 pm |
    • CatholicMom

David Johnson,
      God watches out for you, too, and so show a little thankfulness sometime, okay?

October 1, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
    • Frank

The Jews are not the 'chosen people'. We are all chosen, but not everybody answers the call.

October 2, 2010 at 1:51 am |
    • tototoo48

Just to let you know, my husband and I planned our scheduled day around Rick Sanchez time on CNN. Yes we liked him that much and will miss him. Hope Wolf isn't brought back into that time slot, but for sure I won't know, as I won't be watching CNN again.

October 2, 2010 at 10:12 am |
  13. Ken

Very disappointed that CNN demonstrated such little character. He is a great show host, and I enjoy his program every day in the afternoon. No one can do it like Rick! Bring him back and do it now! Those who did not like him were free to change channels, but to me he was entertaining! I will change channels to where ever he goes next. His news and conversations were very very good.

October 1, 2010 at 8:21 pm |
  14. Kathryn

CNN made a big mistake terminating Rick Sanchez, He brought a new passion to the network. He will be missed. Yes, he got off track every now and then, but that is his appeal. He should have been promoted to the 8:00 pm slot. To chose Parker/Spitzer, is a job. Although Kathleen Parker is an excellent journalist, and I greatly admire her independent thought, but Spitzer, come on. He is being rewarded with a high profile TV job, and Rick Sanchez, who is excellent at what he does, he has personality, and he did a wonderful job for CNN after Campbell Brown left. This dismissal makes me think he was on to something, and I tend to agree with him. CNN will see in the rating that this was a good decision, and the Larry King Replacement is even worse. I bet Fox News and MSNBC are popping the cork. CNN needs to realize that not everyone wants the same type of delivery. Rick Sanchez filled a void there. CNN needs to really look at the audience a little closer, give ALL of us something, not just SOME of us. Gonna miss Rick. I loved the show!

October 1, 2010 at 8:20 pm |
    • Kathryn

I made a mistake. I meant This WAS NOT a good decision by CNN to terminate Rick Sanchez. The choice of Parker/Spitzer is a JOKE.

October 1, 2010 at 8:23 pm |
    • David Johnson

Is your e-mail working? I'm sure CNN tried to get your opinion before they took the action they did. I know I would have.

I'm so sorry you are upset over Sanchez's firing. I won't even be able to sleep tonight.

October 1, 2010 at 9:38 pm |
    • Mariel6595

I am with you. They did a great misstake. Sanchez brought another side to the story, a real one. And CNN I always thought you were good, the journalists are good, but CNN is a lie. I will miss Andersson Cooper, King and Gupta. However, I will never turn on CNN again.

October 1, 2010 at 9:56 pm |
    • H

Another dumb move by CNN. I thought bringing on Piers Morgan was the stupidest move since hiring Campbell Brown, but firing Rick bc u Jews are soooooo sensitive, give me a d*mn break. U losers. U suck. Rick Sanchez was interesting and passionate. Rick whatever network picks u up I will be there. Down with CNN, u guys will forever suck.

October 1, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  15. fed

How is this different from FOX? Shame on you CNN. Rick Sanchez was the best anchor you had, as long as media giants like CNN and Fox control the news, we will never learn to listen to other people views not to mention respect them.

October 1, 2010 at 8:19 pm |
    • SUE

DONT YOU MEAN THE DUMBEST ANCHOR?

October 1, 2010 at 10:01 pm |
  16. dave

Thank you for firing Rick Sanchez.

October 1, 2010 at 8:16 pm |
    • jj

YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! he is arrogant, pompous and OBNOXIOUS~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~bamboso

October 1, 2010 at 8:49 pm |
    • josie

I agree, it is about time to clean house. No more race card game! Everybody has a chance to be the best. Other minorities can do it too as long as it is within the boundaries of the company policy. Stop this race card insanity. Am a minority also.

October 1, 2010 at 11:29 pm |
    • Katy

josie... puleeze.... it's JOSEFINA

October 4, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
    • Greg

jj.... just jackingoff.... slip of the fingers on the keyboard on the last word... yuk !!!

October 4, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
    • Craig

jj, before you even attempt to insult someone in a different language, learn how to use that language. stupid.

October 4, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
    • Betty

dave... karma

October 4, 2010 at 10:24 pm |
    • Carol

Dave – you're fired too!

October 8, 2010 at 12:28 pm |
  17. Enrique

I never liked Sanchez. He thought of himself as being better than everybody else in news. Do you know he actually killed a guy in a traffic accident when he was still living in Florida after an NFL game? Yep! He did. Check it out online. I am glad he is gone! I bet he wanted to leave anyway, so he can join Glen Beck at FOX. Thanks.

October 1, 2010 at 8:10 pm |
    • Carol

That was a low blow.......because someone dies in a traffic accident, you are gonna hold it over Rick Sanchez' head....hello......"accident", what is it about that word that you don't understand? Obviously, you never liked Rick Sanchez....so you had to stoop that low!

October 1, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
    • josephine MacDavitt

I am a minority from the Philippines and I am glad that CNN stand up for what is right. Rick Sanchez should not play the race card because he was so lucky to be able to work for CNN but his mouth got him in trouble. There is racism anywhere even with your own kind and race. Here in this country let us not forget other ethnic groups and nobody is better than the other. We strive for the best and dont let your race get on the way for progress.

October 1, 2010 at 11:25 pm |
    • linda mohan

Now there can be a "Reckeoing at Fox to join the Beckoning......." yikes

October 1, 2010 at 11:30 pm |
    • Pablo

Por favor Enrique. Quitate el nopal de la frente antes de hablar. Don't tell me Enrique, you don't speak Spanish. Should we call you Ricky?

October 4, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  18. Michael Holden

I am very disappointed that you let Rick Sanchez go. I was disappointed also when Cambell Brown left. I found
    Rick's show to be insightful and pioneering. At least, run some real news at 8 eastern. Medical shows are interseting.
    No disrespect to Dr. Guta, but at 8, I want news, not medicine.
    Respectfully,
    Michael Holden

October 1, 2010 at 8:08 pm |
  19. RJ

Go Rick Sanchez.
    America is 100% behind you and your right to express your opinions. CNN shows they don't believe in the right to free speech unless your free speech is in agreement with their opinions. Pretty amazing coming from a "news" organization. I wonder what the current administration will have them report next. We will discontinue watching CNN and follow you to a true news organization.

October 1, 2010 at 8:08 pm |
    • Nicole

Agreed. Rick Sanchez is one of the very few reporters (yes, very few) in this industry who can really report, who knew all sides of a story. Shame on you CNN. What happened to Freedom of Speech? Oh. I guess that is not allowed on CNN. We as well will no longer watch CNN. No need too. Rick was the only reporter (aside from Anderson Cooper) that I cared to watch.

October 1, 2010 at 8:29 pm |
    • Carol

Rick Sanchez spoke the truth in many ways..The Sacred Cow of the slanted media finally gets someone who is willing to take them on. Go Rick and I hope CNN takes you back and alllows a more open discussion of this issue.
      Carol

October 1, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
    • Carol

I totally agree, and I will not be watching CNN either. This comments was freedom of speech, obviously, CNN doesn't believe in it. I enjoyed Rick's show and I thought he had a very refreshing personality. Your loss CNN....I agree with you RJ

October 1, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
    • dee

Free speech protections only applies to government. Free speech does not mean you get to rail against your employer or make prejudiced comments and then keep your job. CNN had the right to fire him.

October 2, 2010 at 12:10 am |
    • RJ

Dee,
      No one is arguing that CNN didn't have a right to fire him. No, that would be the liberal viewpoint where no matter what an employee does, the employer can't fire him. The issue is that society has been conditioned to accept the anti catholic; anti business; anti white and anti male rhetoric spewed by the left. Society has been conditioned to consider this venom funny; however, oh how thin skinned we are when it comes to other groups. Lets preach true equality and discontinue the double standard.

October 2, 2010 at 3:00 am |
    • Frank

Why do you care about 'business' (i.e. transnational corporations and Wall Street)? Are you a billionaire or a stock broker? If not, that's not the side you should be on.
      Oh, and white males are SO oppressed in society!!!1!1 ZOMGZ!!1!111

October 2, 2010 at 3:08 am |
    • Steven

It's not a free speech issue, actually (shame on you as an American for not understanding that concept, nor the concept that he is an employee of this organization and free to be terminated at will for cause), and I am appalled at your response and those of others who mistakenly believe it to be so.

However, I shouldn't be surprised, given the vast ignorance on display in many of the responses here.

October 2, 2010 at 7:00 am |
  20. Carol Millar

I always thought that CNN was real, all opinions are valid, Rick Sanchez is a class act, we love him, and John |Stewart is an idiot, what has he ever done for you. This is a disgrace that you have fired Rick. We are Canadians and cannot believe thaat you allow the crap that we are seeing lately. I thought Fox was bad. We will never watch CNN again

October 1, 2010 at 8:05 pm |
    • tototoo48

CNN has lost a good "friend" who I found to be talking to me and many others like me. Guess I will find something else to watch during the 3-5 PM slot. I was thrilled when Rick went to 2 hours and Wolf got bumped, now there was a good choice. Wolf is not worth watching. Now CNN has nothing good to offer. I refused to watch anything on FOX, now that is a one sided network.

October 2, 2010 at 10:09 am |
    • MARY LOU MACK

Rick Sanchez is my favorite reporter on CNN and he's the whole reason I started watching that channel! Please, please bring him back!! Hey, how about MSNBC, Rick? YES!! GRAB HIM, MSNBC, BEFORE SOMEONE ELSE DOES! (AND THEY WILL, BECAUSE HE IS GOOD!!!)

October 7, 2010 at 4:16 pm |
    • Aaron

Another bigot down, billions more to go!

October 7, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
    • Carol

Another Carol here who will just watch Fox from now on. CNN going downhill and especially when they put "lack of morals" Spitzer on. Spitzer is a loser and CNN is now a loser. Bye, bye!

October 8, 2010 at 12:24 pm |
    • OVB

Yes, you are right,Jon Stewart is a bigot, we all know that. Rick Sanchez is like a breath of fresh air, I am sorry for CNN.

October 9, 2010 at 8:21 pm |
    • matt

Rick Sanchez got his feelings hurt when Stewart poked fun of him on his show. The joke was "Sanchez like football," after a soundbite played where Sanchez came off sounding like Ogre from Revenge of the Nerds.

Sanchez then complained and made ill-advised statements. Childlike behavior got him booted.

October 18, 2010 at 3:02 pm |
    • Nate

This guy hit someone while drunk driving and fled the scene of the crime. Yeah great guy to admire!! He sure has all you fooled.

October 22, 2010 at 3:54 am |