home
RSS
October 1st, 2010

CNN's Rick Sanchez out after controversial comments on Jews

CNN anchor Rick Sanchez left the network Friday afternoon, a day after making some controversial comments, including this about TV host Jon Stewart:

"I'm telling you that everybody who runs CNN is a lot like Stewart, and a lot of people who run all the other networks are a lot like Stewart, and to imply that somehow they, the people in this country who are Jewish, are an oppressed minority? Yeah."

Sanchez was responding to a question from XM Sirius radio host Pete Dominick, who noted that Stewart is Jewish after Sanchez had called him "a bigot," saying Stewart is biased against "everybody else who's not like him."

Full story here.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Judaism • TV

1. mark mccardell

Im totally happy he s gone. He was a right wing religious fanatic in private life and it spilled over in his reporting. Don t worry to all those that will miss him, he ll turn up on fox news shortly, which is probably what many people commenting should be watching anyway. Frankly I think CNN needs to get rid of wolf blitzer and possibly john king as well. Thier rating are in the tank and those two simply cant compete with any newscaster on MSNBC. Anderson Cooper is a total keeper.....you guys need new on screen talent.

October 2, 2010 at 2:28 pm |
  2. Censored by CNN

My comment was Censored by CNN – BOO!

Now CNN sucks even more.

October 2, 2010 at 2:19 pm |
  3. Voxhumana

Sanchez was an insensitive and insulting anchor. He covered most topics with bravado based on little intelligence of the issues or human nature. His handling of the oil spill, his coverage of the recent Tyler Clementi story, displayed huge ignorance and insensitivity, as well as insulting behavior against women as he routinely stepped in front of women experts and guests who were on camera, WHILE they were speaking. He also routinely dismissed their opinions though he had little knowledge and no education on the topics discussed. Good riddance. I'm shocked he made it this long.

October 2, 2010 at 2:14 pm |
    • Peter

i totally disagree with what you have to say, and for one thing why in the hell did you watch his show if you thought all that about him. there is to much hypocrisy in the world and you seem to be apart of it.

October 2, 2010 at 6:02 pm |
  4. steve

im glad hes gone. good work CNN hes the reason more people trust Jon Stewart for news then any one of your anchors

October 2, 2010 at 1:52 pm |
  5. iz

Thank god he's gone. he treated the show like his living room. he was way too casual on the show. irritating.

October 2, 2010 at 1:44 pm |
  6. sergio

I bought Rick's book and removed CNN from my favorite channels.
    If any body says that in the USA today the Jewish-American are as much a minority as the Hispanic-Americans the appropriate reply would be a big lough, as Rick responded to this idiotic statement.
    Firing him was a clear demonstration that he was right.

October 2, 2010 at 1:39 pm |
  7. AR

I hope somehow he can sue CNN. I only watch AC360 and Ricks list now I only have AC360. Way to go CNN . Way to show your wrath on someone who didn't even really say anything wrong. America loves our jews he just spoke some truths in saying that they dont fall into the same minority category as the rest. How many laws have been crafted at keeping the jews in prison? How many cracked out jews do you see? You are bad for this one CNN. What happened to fair an unbiased. Looks like you showed your true jew bias on this one.

October 2, 2010 at 1:14 pm |
  8. BabyMaxine

Rick was one of my all time favorite newscasters on TV. I willl miss him. CNN jumped the gun by firing him. I'll have to find another station to watch for my news. There is only one other show I watch on CNN and that will be gone too in December.

October 2, 2010 at 1:13 pm |
  9. Alan Donahue

thank you for firing rick sanchez. he was such a mediocre anchor talent. i was shocked when he got an hour of wolf blitzer's time. good thing you canned that jon klein guy too. his decisions were consistently amiss, constantly focused on the "talent" and not enough on the analysis and news. it's not enough to put a woman like campbell brown, or a latino like rich sanchez in a 1 hr slot and expect ratings. you are losing your way as an organization that provides news AND ANALYSIS (not opinion, there is a difference).

October 2, 2010 at 1:11 pm |
    • Jeff Morton

2x I agree with this post.

October 2, 2010 at 9:08 pm |
  10. Dexter

SHAME ON YOU CNN!!! Talk about major overkill. Guess his opinion could be fact. Why dont you (CNN Brass) lighten up on the political correctness of the issues. Maybe you just needed something to boost your ratings for about a day or so.

October 2, 2010 at 1:10 pm |
  11. Bob

It's amazing to me that Stewart (not his real name) has stayed on the air so long. He's not the least bit funny and makes his living by embarassing people ala Jay (the pig) Leno but Stewart is out of the Letterman mold who should be labled the eigth wonder of world for surviving so long on a struggling insignificant comedyless enterprise.

October 2, 2010 at 1:06 pm |
  12. The Truth is No Defense

Don't you love it how the Jews run around saying they don't have any power AT THE SAME TIME they get anyone who says "the Jews have power" fired?

Ever hear a Jew belly-ache about Jews being persecuted for their beliefs under Hiter? Me, neither!

October 2, 2010 at 12:55 pm |
  13. O Shaheen

By firing him CNN has made his point indesputable... Jews ARE powerful despite their numbers.

October 2, 2010 at 12:55 pm |
  14. CUBAN IN LI

Rick you will be missed! Dust your self off and keep your head up!!! We will see you soon.
    CNN i'm really surprised you don't back up your staff instead of taking the chicken way out by firing him to hike your rating. you could have an a well balance resolution for everyone. you claim to be the trusted name on news. For years you allowed other anchors speak there minds which some showed how sick and twisted the mind is and NOW you are taking action! You know what they say "THE TRUTH HURTS" I will no longer watch CNN i don't like the way you handle things.
    Watch for the announcement of Rick new show!

October 2, 2010 at 12:54 pm |
  15. Ken

Hurray, finally the media and public in general found out what a clueless jerk this guy is, he started as a news anchorman for a local Miami station and was an obvious racists then but the thing I remember the most about him is back in the 90's there were several hit and runs on the streets of Miami in less than a week and every night he would announce it as big news and how cruel and mean those people must be and then in less than two weeks he himself was driving drunk and hit a pedestrian and left, driving home as fast as he could to get the alcohol evidence out of his body, he got caught and basically slapped on the wrist it was at that moment I fully realized what a hypocrite self-serving loser he really is. Thank you CNN for doing the right thing... he'll be a shinning star on the Fox network within days.

October 2, 2010 at 12:52 pm |
  16. Coco

I am so sorry that CNN fired Rick Sanchez. I listened to the recording of his "so called rant." His comments were largely accurate.

By firing Rick, CNN proves his supposition that Jews control the media. Jesse Jackson, Mel Gibson, and Helen Thomas all were castigated for making comments about Jews. Yet, media personalities make much more inflammatory remarks about Blacks, Latinos, Muslims, and poor white people on a 24/7 basis. Still, people like Dr. Laura, Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Bill O'Reilly, and Ken & John are still on the air.

America needs to wake up and take back control of the airwaves.

October 2, 2010 at 12:27 pm |
  17. sam

Now that the 3-5pm slot is open, can the CNN brass please give Don Lemon his own show and bring Campbell Brown back. Thank you.

October 2, 2010 at 12:23 pm |
  18. Maria

If you listen to the interview in its entirety instead of reading the excerpts of what is being posted, you may understand his frame of mind. Have you even listened to the Pete Dominick interview? http://standupwithpetedominick.com/blog/cnns-rick-sanchez-jews-like-bigot-jon-stewart-run-cnn-the-networks/

I have been reading what people are saying about Rick on various sites, blogs, etc. and find that for most people, it is alot easier to judge Rick and call him names then to try to understand his point of view.

I agree with Rick in that it is difficult for the White man to understand the subtleties of racial discrimination against Latinos in the workplace. Does the Latino have to work 2/3 times as hard to even be considered for the same positions as the White Man? Absolutely. Has the White Man experienced this? No.

Rick was alluding to this when he spoke about Jon Stewart being a Bigot. What is the definition of a Bigot? A person who is utterly intolerant of any differing creed, belief, or opinion.

Rick has worked really hard to get to where he is professionally and to be called "Stupid" by a Man that cannot understand what he had to overcome was the reason why he called him a Bigot.

I get it because I know what he is talking about. Alot of people don't because they haven't experienced discrimination and never will. It's all very subtle. Rick talks about this when he references the CNN Producer who sees him as a Reporter and not as an Anchor.

Pete brought up the subject of the "Jews" and you will hear Rick mention that in the interview. Dominick also mentioned that Rick had a chip on his shoulder about Jon Stewart calling him stupid? Wouldn't you have a chip on your shoulder too?

What I am saying is that Rick's perspective about what he said was based on his life experiences. Can you even compare the success of a White American Jew in the workplace to a Hispanic? No of course not. Does it make me a racist to point it out? No. Am I pulling the race card if I say it? No. It's the truth. It is also the reality that Rick and alot of other Latinos have experienced in this Country.

I have done really well in my profession and I am grateful for what I have accomplished. Have I lived up to my full potential? No. It makes it even harder for me to realize my potential if I am surrounded by people in the workplace that tell me that they "don't really see me" in a specific position because of their racist paradigm.

I understand that Jon Stewart is a comedian and I really don't think that his remarks were personal. Pete Dominick mentioned that in the interview. He said that Comedians don't think about People's feelings when they tell jokes. They just want to get a good laugh. Do I understand that? Of Course. On the flip side, it would be nice for people to understand why Rick didn't think it was funny when Jon Stewart called him a "Twit". That's all I'm saying.

October 2, 2010 at 12:22 pm |
    • MikeJ in Houston

@Maria Sometimes one twit calling another a "twit" isn't being bigotted. It's just the truth. Jon Stewart is an unfunny twit.
      And Rick Sanchez is a self serving, mediocre, full-of-himself, unfunny TWIT. I'm glad he was fired. Too bad somebody hasn't
      fired Jon Stewart

October 3, 2010 at 4:37 pm |
  19. Barbg

Rick was out of line and arrogant. CNN gave him many opportunities and he slandered them. I wish they would bring back Lou Dobbs, he was one smart guy.

October 2, 2010 at 12:20 pm |
  20. Todd in Seattle

There were only two reasons I switched away from CNN. Rick Sanchez and Larry King. It's possible the grounds that were used to release Sanchez was a tad bit overkill, but he did have to go. I've grown so tired of "journalists" telling me what to think about the news and he went even further than that in so far as engaging in silly dogfights with entertainers like Jon Stewart. His presentation is over-the-top sleazy and he often tries to dumb down his lead-in to a story to appear more "common man". I've found it annoying and look forward to not having to switch to FOX anymore. Even Shepard Smith was better viewing. Thank you so much, CNN. Use this opportunity to bring in someone serious and I'm back for good. I'm so excited!

October 2, 2010 at 12:09 pm |