home
RSS
October 1st, 2010

CNN's Rick Sanchez out after controversial comments on Jews

CNN anchor Rick Sanchez left the network Friday afternoon, a day after making some controversial comments, including this about TV host Jon Stewart:

"I'm telling you that everybody who runs CNN is a lot like Stewart, and a lot of people who run all the other networks are a lot like Stewart, and to imply that somehow they, the people in this country who are Jewish, are an oppressed minority? Yeah."

Sanchez was responding to a question from XM Sirius radio host Pete Dominick, who noted that Stewart is Jewish after Sanchez had called him "a bigot," saying Stewart is biased against "everybody else who's not like him."

Full story here.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Judaism • TV

1. Brent

Wow. CNN is becoming as bad a Faux News. I don't believe in the Jewish Conspiracy nonsense, but it is a fact that a lot of Jews do go into the media industry. Or maybe many of the ones that are really successful and famous happen to be Jewish and you hear of them more. So what? And Rick gets fired for saying that?
    From the interview that I heard he didn't seem to say ANYTHING offensive. He didn't say he dislikes Jews, He didn't say they are secretly running the world or should be killed. He simply disagreed that they are an oppressed minority in the U.S. Personally, I agree with him. This isn't the Soviet Union or Nazi Germany. Jews seem to get along just fine in the U.S. as far as I can tell.
    I guess that CNN, like Faux News, can't handle anyone that disagrees with them or says anything outside their idea of "truth". How totally disappointing. I guess I'll just start getting my news from the Daily Show like everyone else.

October 3, 2010 at 12:07 am |
  2. Ahmed Alian

CNN you are the stupidest network everrrr.

October 2, 2010 at 11:53 pm |
  3. cnnnomore

CNN will pay a heavy price for this stupid decision. you have a bunch of red necks like Wolf, J King, Bash and Henry allowed to say bigoted things on a daily basis against all other groups except the Jews. I AM DONE WITH THIS NETWORK and hope Cooper and some of the decent white, black and other minority anchors/reports moves to another network except FOX.

October 2, 2010 at 11:36 pm |
  4. Pat Richards

What were you idiots at CNN thinking when you fired Rick ? Apparently you weren't !!! I watched Rick everyday and really liked his program he was in touch with the real world and truly compassionate about it and most importantly he spoke the truth. If those of you at CNN are so much against someone speaking the truth, which by your foolish actions lately prove that you are then maybe you should merge with FOX. I do not watch FOX and now since the firing of Rick I will no longer be watching CNN either. I wish Rick and his family all the very best because they truly deserve it. I will be waiting to see where Rick goes next because that is what I will be watching, he deserves a better job than the one he currently had at CNN. To those of you at CNN that are responsible for this, well I guess this just shows everyone that reporting the truth is not important to you. God Bless Rick and his family.

October 2, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
  5. Sandy

Dumb move CNN! Now Good luck finding an Emmy award winning anchor to crank up your ratings among true minority viewers!!!

October 2, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  6. Pat

What were those of you at CNN thinking when you fired Rick !! Apparently you weren't. I watched Rick everyday because he spoke the truth and was in touch with the real world and was compassionate about it. If CNN does not want the truth reported than maybe they should merge with FOX. I do not watch FOX and now since CNN has fired Rick I will no longer be watching CNN either. I wish Rick and his family all the best because they truly deserve it and hopefully he will get a better job than the one he previously had with CNN, I will be waiting to see where he goes next because that is what I will be watching.

October 2, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  7. GweiloJake

Another anit-Semetic drunk driver....I guess he can hang out with Mel Gibson. The only difference worth mentioning is that Mel didn't kill anybody in a drunken hit-and-run like Sanchez. According to reports from the scene, when he returned, he was more concerned with himself, stating "Do you know what this will do to my career?".

I'm glad that this "gonzo journalist" is gone. He resorted to theatrics such as having himself tazed and water-boarded like some pitiful reincarnation of Geraldo Rivera and far too often revealed his lackluster educational background when sparring with academia and respected experts in their fields.

October 2, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  8. Ozzie

Can someone please explain to me why he was fired? Please. I read comments about people not liking his style, but what did he do wrong to get fired? Someone please explain. Honestly.

October 2, 2010 at 10:04 pm |
    • Ahmed Alian

He criticized a Jewish anchor, Stewart.

October 2, 2010 at 11:56 pm |
  9. Vox Populi

Rick, get a good Jewish lawyer and sue the Hell outta CNN....

October 2, 2010 at 9:43 pm |
  10. Lynn

I just heard that Rick Sanchez is no longer on CNN. When Aaron Brown was fired I stopped watching CNN. I didn't even know Campbell Brown was gone, I only watched Rick's telecast. Well I guess I will no longer be watching CNN again. I enjoyed the way he covered a story, got every one involed to make sure he had all the facts. Will miss you Rick and if you go to another network will watch you. Wishing you nothing but success.
    A fan from Montreal, QC, Canada

October 2, 2010 at 9:34 pm |
  11. kate

There were times Rick Sanchez was so silly, I was embarrassed for him. For many reasons, Sanchez' negative remarks about Jewish people were really really dumb. It will cost him.

October 2, 2010 at 9:32 pm |
  12. Salvador Trabanino

Thank you CNN for relieving us of Rick Sanchez. As a Hispanic American, I've been embarrassed by him and his antics for a while. Still, I hope he finds a place where he can fit and be happy.

October 2, 2010 at 8:27 pm |
  13. Rollie

So dannigirl...if I say that the Roman Catholic Church runs our immigration policy...and wants to change the demographics of our nation...and make America...the USA, part of the Latin and HIspanic world...then I am being truthful?

I guess it depends whose ox is being gored...

I say...the Roman Catholic Church owns too much property...and it should pay taxes on the milliosn of acres of American land it owns...

I say...Notre Dame and Xavier should be secularized like most of our American colleges...

What do you say?

Don't underestimate the power of the Roman Catholic Church...

October 2, 2010 at 8:15 pm |
  14. Liz

I only watched CNN for Rick Sanchez and then continue to the next show. No more CNN for me... Rick Sanchez was good... Whoever did this is an idiot... I listened to it. this was not firing material.... idiots. idiots.... PS RICK IF YOU GET A NEW SHOW WITH ANOTHER NETWORK I WILL WATCH... GOOD LUC!!

October 2, 2010 at 8:01 pm |
  15. Upset in Canada

I strongly disagree with the firing of Rick Sanchez and I don't believe he should have been fired for his comments. He was a good anchor who made it worthwhile to watch CNN and now that's he's been fired, I'm finished with CNN, I'll be watching whatever network Rick is going to. SHAME ON YOU CNN!

October 2, 2010 at 7:56 pm |
  16. Shirley

The best thing about CNN was Rick Sanchez. BRING HIM BACK !!!!!!!!!!

October 2, 2010 at 7:23 pm |
  17. YNM

I was a big fan of Rick Sanchez until this happened. I thought he knew better by now. It is ironic that he had a segment called "The List You Don't Want to Be on" when he himself has done such a goofy tirade by his comments about Jews. I am a Jew so this hits a personal spot in me. That there are a lot of influential and wealthy Jews I am not gonna dispute that but then there are Jews like me who do not have a dime to their name compared to those other Jews. I am on unemployment for a year and a half already. My brother just got laid off recently...so do not believe this rubbish that all Jews are rich and whatever. You would be surprised to find out who is on welfare these days. Like I saw in a movie recently called "My Name is Khan"...There are two kind of people in this world: Good ones and bad ones. No race or creed is free from this. It seems Rick's ego got inflated when he was put on prime time at night. Sometimes power confuses people and makes them go mad...I hope this is his case and can rectify his path. We are all human after all...

October 2, 2010 at 7:18 pm |
  18. Tony Ryals

CNN's Rick Sanchez out after controversial comments on Jews

CNN anchor Rick Sanchez left the network Friday afternoon, a day after making some controversial comments, including this about TV host Jon Stewart:

October 2, 2010 at 7:10 pm |
  19. CK Hay

I haven't watched CNN for a long time, they are irrelevant and suck up so much it's not funny.
    However this clown was too much. He was a control freak who thought that everyone he talked to was an idiot except himself. He was totally dismissive of anything he didn't agree with.
    When I watch news, I don't want to have the anchor's personal options polluting the facts and Sanchez made the news of the day unwatchable.
    He does not belong in the news industry at all.

October 2, 2010 at 6:54 pm |
  20. Muneef

Well if he was fired from CNN for saying some thing against the Jew upsetting them and if all the News Media are owned run by Jews ? Well then I find that he will have the toughest time finding job either in News,Entertainment media even including Hollywood? Specially now that his firing was made a fuss.The only out standing chance for him is to join some other international media.

October 2, 2010 at 6:45 pm |