home
RSS
October 1st, 2010

CNN's Rick Sanchez out after controversial comments on Jews

CNN anchor Rick Sanchez left the network Friday afternoon, a day after making some controversial comments, including this about TV host Jon Stewart:

"I'm telling you that everybody who runs CNN is a lot like Stewart, and a lot of people who run all the other networks are a lot like Stewart, and to imply that somehow they, the people in this country who are Jewish, are an oppressed minority? Yeah."

Sanchez was responding to a question from XM Sirius radio host Pete Dominick, who noted that Stewart is Jewish after Sanchez had called him "a bigot," saying Stewart is biased against "everybody else who's not like him."

Full story here.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Judaism • TV

1. Herb in fla.

CNN screwed up big time and you will see Rick over at Fox with Lou Dobbs.
    I guess he got tired of speaking all that liberal BS and finally chocked on it.
    It seems a lot of that going around as in the Presidents group of friends and supporters.
    One day there will be jusr Wolf Blitzer reading his news from CNN.
    Shame on you.
    Even commentators enjoy freedom of speech and have opinions.

October 3, 2010 at 11:36 am |
  2. scotty

I am just GLAD he is gone, hope he becomes a greeter at Wal Mart

October 3, 2010 at 11:30 am |
    • Linden

Why? Did you get tired of greetlng the people all by yourself or are you that incompetent that you need some help?

October 4, 2010 at 9:32 pm |
  3. Tiffany

I am going to miss Rick, it was the only regular show I watched on TV out of all the networks. Too bad they couldn't just do a suspension, or slap on the wrist. CNN is as political as Washington. Make a minor mistake and it gets out, you're fired. I'll miss you Rick and I hope you come back on top somewhere. I always appreciated how you apoligized for mistakes when you made them and that you wanted to get the full story. I liked how you called people out as you saw it. I didn't agree with you all the time, but that's not your place to make us all agree. You will be missed.

October 3, 2010 at 11:27 am |
  4. Mike Bruno

To think that someone no matter where he works is unable to express himself goes against the whole concept of personal freedom. I have heard many anchors be critical of their networks without being fired. Worse is the fact that he's comments are grounded. In the list of minorities which our society feels should reach down to assist because of inequalities, Jewish people never make that list. Let him speak his mind. I wish more public people did so. It is the reason Glenn Beck is so beloved.

October 3, 2010 at 11:14 am |
  5. blaine

Rick, you were the only one I really watched on exposing these radical politicians that are appearing out of nowhere! CNN proved you can only go so far with freedom of speech. I wish to see you again ,and good luck! Il,l watch the nightly news somewhere else. Fox News--- Your not an option!!!!!!

October 3, 2010 at 11:11 am |
    • Mike Bruno

Blaine, Fox is probably the only place he can thrive.

October 3, 2010 at 11:16 am |
  6. Ashraf

Rick,
    Come to Al-jazeera (International). You do not need to work with these clowns on CNN !

October 3, 2010 at 8:30 am |
  7. In the Jungle

Gentiles be silenced for stating their opinions. Freedom of speech at CNN, was there ever? It's not a bad decision, it peels the onion and shows the lack of journalistic integrity at CNN. Promote your own interests, oppress anyone that points it out.

October 3, 2010 at 7:50 am |
    • Mike Bruno

you are dead right.

October 3, 2010 at 11:24 am |
  8. Eliza

He was fired because his employer took issue with his running off at the mouth more than this particular time. Just because you are employed does not mean your employer has to put up with all your antics or public comments. He was a lousy reporter in Miami and we were amazed when cnn picked him up. Maybe he does have another venue he will do well in but as a reporter he always seems to have issues with holding his mud. This has gone on for decades so maybe cnn was his "promotion to his highest level of incompetence" and cnn could not hide his issues any longer.

October 3, 2010 at 7:33 am |
  9. Jake

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!
    For getting rid of Sanchez! My family and I decided recently we had just watched our last CNN news report...after many years of being loyal viewers..mainly because of this joker Sanchez..
    Now you have a chance to once again breathe a bit of fresh (and less biased) air into your programs! Kudos to you!

October 3, 2010 at 6:07 am |
  10. Syeda

Listen up CNN ... do you know anything about freedom of speech?
    I am done with CNN.

October 3, 2010 at 4:34 am |
    • Eliza

Syeda I work for a doctors office and if I go on local radio and say what RS did regarding any group of people and then take a few jabs at my employer do you really believe I should be able to retain my job? He CAN say what he wants, he did and he has the right to and cnn has the right to fire hm if they so choose to. Seriously, the freedom of speech rants regarding RS are confusing to me he did say what he wanted he did have his freedom of speech. Freedom of speech does not mean you get to keep your job.

October 3, 2010 at 7:38 am |
  11. RvE

There is clearly some other motivation for Mr. Sanchez's superiors to let him go over this interview. He said nothing overtly offensive. If the interpretation of what he said comes from a place of paranoia on the part of those in control of the CNN network, it gives me pause to wonder if what Anderson Cooper say's ,"We're keepin' them honest1", means anything to the CNN network executives, because that is clearly not the case. There was nothing anti-semetic in anything Mr. Sanchez said. If some inference was detaected by those above him who took offense , then they should have questioned him, reprimanded him or taken some form of censure but terminartion only makes those in control look like the manipulative powerbrokers that many have spun them to be. I have felt CNN was the most trustworthy source of news since Desert Storm when they rose to ranks of honest, unbiased reporting. I'll think twice about tuning in at all from now on. There appears to be an agenda at CNN that makes me uncomfortable. I believe the manner in which a story is delivered can affect our subconcious interepretation of that issue. I no longer trust the message CNN may be intending to send.

October 3, 2010 at 4:34 am |
  12. Lazaro Javier

I am sorry but in my impression anybody here understand what is going on with the controversial comments. Rick is attacking a Jew guy that he is supporting gay people and President Obama, but at the same time, come on, I am Cuban and I am not stupid, Rick Sanchez need to swich to Fox News the propaganda posted of the Republican party, because he wants to support Marcos Rubio and the Republican agenda with the Cuban American community. The Republicans they are without real minority representation and they wants to recue the white Cubans richs in Miami and very radical conservative to join forces against Obama. Political issues over professional ambition, it is a cultural suicide. He have another job with $$$$$$$$$ in Fox News soon.

October 3, 2010 at 2:43 am |
  13. barackus obamus

So rick sanchez complains about the left wing jews running the media, so what happens? The left wing jews who run the media fire him. Thanks for proving his point CNN!

October 3, 2010 at 2:23 am |
  14. Juanito

Hey, Rick's finally made on "the list that you don't want to be on!"

October 3, 2010 at 2:15 am |
  15. Millie Strasser

I was infuriated when I read tonight that cnn had fired Rick Sanchez. I listened to tapes of the conversation Rick was having on Thursday. I can see that if I were cnn I might not have liked some of Ricks comments but I don't see them as fireable-unless you just wanted to fire him and are using this as an accuse. Besides I don't see what's fireable when you speak the truth. Most networks are run and owned by Jewish people. That certainly has been the history of the entertainment industry. And just to be clear I'm a caucasion women married to a Jewish man. cnn is worried about their ratings and yet they make choices that keep the ratings down.. Look at yourself-you have a line-up of mostly "stuffy" white males. At one point you had Rick and Roland Martin sharing a time slot, you got rid of them to bring in Campbell Brown who left and you put in Rick to work a grueling schedule. D.L.Hugley had a funny Sat. show and you cancelled that. You seem to have a history for getting rid of people of color. You have good black journalist on the weekends,but they don't seem to go anywhere either. Rick has worked a lot of hours for you and has changed his life around several different times. You should have given him a little leeway.

October 3, 2010 at 2:07 am |
  16. sofime

Well, some people don't like to hear the true, it is painful sometimes and some are not willing to hear. Rick was a person who expressed the true, so what is wrong with that? I was always waiting for Rick's show now like other said, bye bye CNN. That was not a good action you take bye firing Rick like you did with others in your show for saying the true and responding to comments from other shows or people and organizations. We love you Rick hope find you soon

October 3, 2010 at 1:46 am |
  17. Ed

I honestly think CNN just took this opportunity to end a contract. The guy says such moronic stuff on CNN you can actually hear his own set crew laughing AT him. He needs to stick to writing. When he talks, he always makes an ass out of himself; I can’t even watch his show because I’m embarrassed for the guy. Thanks for getting rid of him.

October 3, 2010 at 1:44 am |
  18. kam

cnn... you suck; piece of crap network... rick... stand up for your right

October 3, 2010 at 1:24 am |
    • sofime

I am agree with you. Like I said some don't like to hear the true. I understand we are in a country of freedom of speech, you can give your opinion, but in this country some people don't like to hear what's under the table and when someone says whats there, this is what happen. Some shows is not just TV shows, in this country you got to be careful what you want to express because this is the result. Rick was doing a wonderful job. We hope he can have his own show. Fox!! I won't comment about you guys because then I will give you more importance and you are nothing but, racist.

October 3, 2010 at 1:57 am |
  19. Arvind Mathur

I did not care much for Rick's list or anything else that Mr. Sanchez did on CNN and I do watch Jon Stewart every day but to fire the guy because the said that Jews rule the media or they are an exhalted minority or that Jon Stewart is biased is not something that the news media that yaks a lot about everybody is just not right. Its freedom of speech that you guys making a living off. Not a good decision by CNN and are there Jews controlling the media ?

October 3, 2010 at 1:08 am |
  20. keith

I loved rick for telling the truth about almost everything, know one can have a show and not show his side.this is a big mistake and my watching cnn is over. I have jews in my family,love them always.but this will bite you in the ass.

October 3, 2010 at 12:37 am |