home
RSS
October 1st, 2010

CNN's Rick Sanchez out after controversial comments on Jews

CNN anchor Rick Sanchez left the network Friday afternoon, a day after making some controversial comments, including this about TV host Jon Stewart:

"I'm telling you that everybody who runs CNN is a lot like Stewart, and a lot of people who run all the other networks are a lot like Stewart, and to imply that somehow they, the people in this country who are Jewish, are an oppressed minority? Yeah."

Sanchez was responding to a question from XM Sirius radio host Pete Dominick, who noted that Stewart is Jewish after Sanchez had called him "a bigot," saying Stewart is biased against "everybody else who's not like him."

Full story here.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Judaism • TV

1. Rick in Ca.

I'm just glad he's finally gone. He may be well-meaning much of the time, but he's also arrogant, full of himself, condescending, and dopy. It was just a matter of time before he put his foot in his mouth so far that it really cost him.

October 5, 2010 at 9:50 pm |
  2. Linda Thurlby

Rick Sanchez was intelligent, articulate and fun to watch. I was an ardent fan of both Rick and Jack Cafferty. I am so disappointed in CNN's decision. I hope MSNBC grabs him up.

October 5, 2010 at 7:44 pm |
  3. WA

They control all networks , publishing houses , banks , hollywood, trade unions ,Godman sachs , macy's on and on and on

October 5, 2010 at 7:43 pm |
  4. Barb W

Bring Rick back! Brooke does not do it for me. What happened to 2nd chances? Come on CNN!

October 5, 2010 at 3:08 pm |
  5. Jim

Today, I have changed all of my default home pages on four different browsers from CNN to MSNBC. I have also called Dish Network to choose another package that does not have CNN News, HLN, any CNN anything!!!!! on it's list of choices. I now have MSNBC. GOODBYE CNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope their ratings go to hell in a hand basket. Poof . . . Please everyone, let us join forces and bring CNN down to their knees. They need to learn a lesson. Thank you friend . . .

October 5, 2010 at 2:48 pm |
  6. Antonio

I've been watching CNN for the last 15 years & my wife always made comments that I/ve should have married the network ! With that said I will boycott this networrk unless Mr. Sanchez is brought back OR another Latino takes his place. I LOVE the Jewish people but we need more hispanics in the media . Thank You Guys for not letting me go to another network !!!

October 5, 2010 at 12:44 pm |
  7. Betar

How Shame!!! is this the American Rights to speak ?? is this Journalism in USA !! WoW ,, is this really What Cnn management do when man express his feelings ?? CNN.. You Down!

October 5, 2010 at 10:48 am |
  8. AlexTaba

Prime time anchor suit was so big for him and he didn't deserve it at all. if CNN wants to get more attention, it should get rid of this kind of people and move to the center and be a real American media with real journalists.

October 5, 2010 at 1:37 am |
  9. Daniela Fernandez

Shame on you CNN! Are Jews actually offended over this statement? Because all the Jews I know actually agreed with Rick Sanchez. Even though I don't share his political views and opinions at times, this is shameful. Jews are not an oppressed minority in this country. Let's be intellectually honest on this one, please.

October 5, 2010 at 12:54 am |
  10. Paul

BOYCOTT CNN !!!

October 4, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  11. Mike

So now I'm supposed to listen to Spitzer... a low life cheater. Rick was right. Jews control CNN.

October 4, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
    • i want rick back

i dont want to listen to a cheater

October 5, 2010 at 11:50 pm |
  12. AlexanderNY

Cnn you messed up witht his one and showed your true colors,i heard the broadcast and what Rick said wasnt at all offensive or derogatory!!! i disagree with Rick Sanchez on alot of issues, he is a little obnoxios and maybe a little to Left for me but he must have struck a nerve with his commentary, i guess what he was saying was right on the money,,,,Jewish people are so quick to find the anti-semite when they are the biggest racists around!!!!!!!!, The Jewish people have no right to claim minority status at all!!!! , You Cnn have messed up big time by firing this man, and your proving he is right!!!!! Jon Stewart is Leftist liberal panderer. What little i do watch of Cnn i will not tune in anymore..

October 4, 2010 at 9:49 pm |
  13. Patty

What are you afraid of CNN? Why are you HIDING Rick's story in the religion section. In the other story of Rick's departure, you cannot even post any comments. CNN SUCKS !!!

October 4, 2010 at 9:14 pm |
  14. Nack

CNN you SUCK !!!!

October 4, 2010 at 9:08 pm |
  15. val

HOORAY! I'm glad he's gone! He didn't meet the high standards for which CNN has always been known. I doubt if Fox even wants him.

October 4, 2010 at 8:29 pm |
    • Terry

No one wants val

October 4, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
  16. karen thomposn

ok here are our choices as far as CNN...Anderson Cooper (who I hope jumps ship to 60 minutes and I love it when he is on there) Larry King (who is leaving) and now the cheating adulterer ex governor from New York. Even Christian Amanpour left for ABC. I now watch exclusivley PBS (for accurate news) and MSNBC (I am a liberal) and I have officially removed CNN from my favorite channel guide.

October 4, 2010 at 7:39 pm |
  17. bill

hey cnn
    ricks show is the only one that i watched on cnn, i wonder what your sponsers will think about this.
    i guess i have to go to msnbc now
    bye cnn

October 4, 2010 at 6:53 pm |
  18. Loren & chris Lee

No one will be able to rplace him. We want him back.

October 4, 2010 at 5:57 pm |
  19. Rose

Shame on you CNN! It's okay to talk abou other reaces other than the, you know, and it's ok when John Stewart makes fun of them and every other race, but other races can't talk about, you know who. I happen to like the, and CNN is my sorce for news but as of today I will no longer tune in. Its been real!!!

October 4, 2010 at 5:10 pm |
  20. Ab

Oliver Stone said the same thing about Media control last month as Sanchez said on Friday, So.....I Googled the main player Names and History of the TV News Network Exec's.....as well as National Newspapers and....Low and behold !!
    Next I am going to Google the Top Execs in Hollywood, ....The US Banking System ....as well as The Whitehouse Key Advisors ?? Was he right? You don't suppose...........???

October 4, 2010 at 4:18 pm |