home
RSS
October 1st, 2010

CNN's Rick Sanchez out after controversial comments on Jews

CNN anchor Rick Sanchez left the network Friday afternoon, a day after making some controversial comments, including this about TV host Jon Stewart:

"I'm telling you that everybody who runs CNN is a lot like Stewart, and a lot of people who run all the other networks are a lot like Stewart, and to imply that somehow they, the people in this country who are Jewish, are an oppressed minority? Yeah."

Sanchez was responding to a question from XM Sirius radio host Pete Dominick, who noted that Stewart is Jewish after Sanchez had called him "a bigot," saying Stewart is biased against "everybody else who's not like him."

Full story here.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Judaism • TV

1. freethegop

Definition of a "true ethnic minority" (not a numerical one): "A group that is unable to prevent giving media time to those who make implications about Blacks or Latinos that they are: inferior, not real Americans, apes, better off because of slavery and colonialism, the cause of the collapse of the economy and decline of the Nation, prone to crime, only interested in their own kind, the real racists, too stupid or language deficient to vote, etc. (i.e., implications made by Gingrich, Palin, Tancredo, Tea Party leaders, Glenn Beck, Eric Kantor, Fox, a plethora of Republicans, Conservatives, and members of various ethnic groups and numerical minorities, etc)."

October 1, 2010 at 9:19 pm |
  2. HollyGoLightly

I liked Rick one of few shows watchable on CNN. You lost me .

October 1, 2010 at 9:18 pm |
    • David Johnson

What is the other show you watch Sesame Street?

October 1, 2010 at 9:21 pm |
    • Richard

David,
      I bet you think Glen Beck is the best source of true and unbiased news, don't you?

October 4, 2010 at 2:56 pm |
    • George

Yeah David, we like watching you on Sesame Street. Your raggedy green fur brings out the green in your eyes.

October 4, 2010 at 9:55 pm |
  3. Carolyn

Thank goodness he's gone. Now maybe CNN can get back to its higher standards. That man was an idiot, and he proved it in these latest comments. I have never understood how CNN could have given him a show, or even had him on the air. THINK, guys!

October 1, 2010 at 9:18 pm |
  4. DM

Anyone who thinks CNN made a mistake for firing what is OBVIOUSLY the STUPIDEST thing rick could have said is insane, Rick got what he deserves for saying such things. Rick needs to GROW A PAIR OF BALLS and get over himself.

October 1, 2010 at 9:17 pm |
  5. Nadeen Baker

I am only watching cnn because of Rick Sanchez . He was the only one that acted like he cares what all the news was. I have watched cnn all day most days and I am afraid the rest of your
    reporters are sounding more and more like Fox news which I hate so I guess it is msnbc now.

October 1, 2010 at 9:13 pm |
  6. sam

way to go rick we suppiort you and agree with you not only that the jews control the media they control the whole us government and cnn made a big mistake by firing you/.. and we thought that we have freedom of the press ,, now we are afraid to state our opinion.. we will never watch cnn again..

October 1, 2010 at 9:13 pm |
  7. Misty Jean Moore

Rick was all about himself. Send him back to Cuba.

October 1, 2010 at 9:12 pm |
    • Caitlin

Whoa, wait. So anyone, citizen or not, who expresses an unfavorable opinion should be deported? Freedom of speech and of the press. You apparently don't understand these two very important parts of our nation: Google...look our rights-Rick Sanchez's rights- up.

October 2, 2010 at 3:40 am |
  8. David

It's about time. He brought nothing to the table, and he used about ten times the number of words necessary to say anything, often with no insight regarding unimportant stories. Sorry CNN didn't let him go before he embarrassed them like this. Now I may actually be able to tolerate CNN in the afternoons.

October 1, 2010 at 9:10 pm |
    • David Johnson

Yep, in time the spot will be filled with someone who is talented.

October 1, 2010 at 9:19 pm |
    • Richard

Will miss Rick. Sorry he had to go and hope CNN brings him back. Belive it or not a lot of people liked him.

October 4, 2010 at 1:57 pm |
  9. Olvia Berndardsville

Can't believe they let this man go. I mean you could make tons of comments about Muslims and at a 100% more harsher level but ya can't get fired, you speak the truth, it creates panic as it informs the public and you freak out.

Rick Sanchez told the truth, but he told it in a non offensive manner, if you listen to the whole interview. He is not biased nor antisemtic (but im sure newspaper headlines have already labled him that 10000x)

I will ADD CNN to the "I hate FOX news list"

It just became a fake liberal network, more like FOX right about now.

RIck should go with a network that can handle it all, not some love for some but hate for others, but handle it all.

WHATEVER STATION HIRES YOU RICK, YOUR OVER MILLION FOLLOWERS WILL WATCH IT!!!! JUST KEEP IT AS IT IS AND AS YOU ARE. JUST STAY AWAY FROM FOX AND CNN PLEASE

October 1, 2010 at 9:10 pm |
  10. Laus Deo

He's moving up per CNN is entry level, I hope he applies to FOX where they appreciate diversity of staff – and opinion!
    Greener pastures are coming his way, I hope Fox can fit him – I suggest he replace Shepard Smith....

October 1, 2010 at 9:07 pm |
    • David Johnson

You bet! Sanchez would fit right in with Palin and Beck. LOL

October 1, 2010 at 9:22 pm |
    • Richard

Moving to Fox would be a major career change – from news to entertainment. No one really believes that Fox has any news shows do they? I consider them one of the tops in sports and entertainment, never thought of them as a source of news!

October 4, 2010 at 2:47 pm |
  11. Edward Jones

I am a happy man. Thank you Rick for getting your a.. knocked off my tv screen. you arrogant fool you.

October 1, 2010 at 9:06 pm |
  12. sana

BRING RICK SANCHEZ BACK HE WAS THE BEST ANCHOR YOU GUYS EVER HAD!! WOW HE VOICED HIS OPINION WHAT A TERRIBLE THING TO DO NOT REALLY NEWS FLASH CNN EVER HEARD OF FREEDOM OF SPEECH!! IF RICK DOESNT COME BACK YOU GUYS WILL LOSE MANY VIEWERS INCLUDING MY ENTIRE FAMILY AND I.

October 1, 2010 at 9:04 pm |
  13. DL

Rick Sanchez was an absolute moron of epic proportions. I never liked him, and I held great contempt for CNN when they gave him his own show. Reading these comments, I feel a hug disappointment in the human race. Sanchez was insightful? Really? Jesus...

October 1, 2010 at 9:04 pm |
  14. Mario

Good guy, will be missed despite of that Tsunami coverage last year. Whats going on CNN: Spitzer????

October 1, 2010 at 8:59 pm |
  15. lynn brown

Rick Sanchez was the only "real" person who pulled in any respectable ratings for CNN. I will never watch CNN again. You all hire Eliot Spitzer to host a show and fire Rick. You people at CNN are MORONS. I hope he goes to a rival network and impacts your poor ratings even more. Just a little closer to being buried by other cable networks. GO RICK!

October 1, 2010 at 8:59 pm |
  16. Becky

I couldn't stand his phony smile.......GOOD RIDDANCE RICK....now whose list ARE YOU ON!!!! Wouldn't want to be on that one!!!

October 1, 2010 at 8:55 pm |
  17. pastol

Sanchez was too emotional to be a news anchor or even a reporter for that matter. Not the smartest tool in the shed and it was too much Rick and too little news when he was on air. I hated watching the guy, but he was the lesser of most evils available during the day. Personally, I'm glad to see him go. It is a shame he had to go the way he did, but it was only a matter of time.

October 1, 2010 at 8:54 pm |
  18. Fiona

Well, I think this whole thing is just a big excuse to get rid of him. I have always wondered why CNN keeps him. He doesn't listen to his guests, talks over them, is focused on his point of view and doesn't engage in a sincere/genuine exchange. I find him hard to listen to. Having said all of that, in all fairness the reason CNN is providing for firing him is not a valid reason to let him go. He was just saying what was on his mind. Anderson Cooper speaks all of the time about freedom of speech. CNN needs to practice what they preach, but hey, I'm just Keeping Them Honest.

October 1, 2010 at 8:53 pm |
  19. David Johnson

I never liked Rick Sanchez's program. It sounds like he has a problem with Jews. Funny thing about this country, racist att itudes never really die.

CNN did the right thing. If Sanchez isn't smart enough to not express his antisemitism, then he shouldn't be visiting us via tv.

October 1, 2010 at 8:52 pm |
    • Richard

David, I think what you meant to say was: If he doen't share MY opinion he shouldn't be on TV anyway!

October 4, 2010 at 2:41 pm |
  20. Diego

Sad but true – CNN in America is Nothing Like CNN in Europe So sad that even CNN is imitating FOX NEWS Makes me even more glad that I'm investing and building my interests away from this country. Rick, We'll invite you over.

October 1, 2010 at 8:52 pm |