home
RSS
October 1st, 2010

CNN's Rick Sanchez out after controversial comments on Jews

CNN anchor Rick Sanchez left the network Friday afternoon, a day after making some controversial comments, including this about TV host Jon Stewart:

"I'm telling you that everybody who runs CNN is a lot like Stewart, and a lot of people who run all the other networks are a lot like Stewart, and to imply that somehow they, the people in this country who are Jewish, are an oppressed minority? Yeah."

Sanchez was responding to a question from XM Sirius radio host Pete Dominick, who noted that Stewart is Jewish after Sanchez had called him "a bigot," saying Stewart is biased against "everybody else who's not like him."

Full story here.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Judaism • TV

1. Brenda

CNN is mainstream media .......It plays to whoever is popular........Democracts 1 year, Republicans the next year. They arent any better than MSNBC or FOX. I wasnt a fan of Rick Sanchez, but, now I understand the hostility.......OLD Jewish Stupid White Men do control the media & Hollywood. (look at Larry King....LOL). Just ask yourself .....why do OLD Jewish Stupid White Men still control the media & Hollywood after all these years...... ANSWER: They will not allow any other ethnicity to compete/challenge or conquer them.......again....... I'm not a fan of Rick Sanchez, but at least he was HONEST.

October 1, 2010 at 9:51 pm |
    • Robert

Brenda, if they're so stupid, why do they control the media and Hollywood. You're as dumb as Rick Sanchez.

October 1, 2010 at 9:56 pm |
    • ARTGARDENER

Shall we heat up the ovens again and send the old, stupid Jewish people to their reward? You fascist pig!!!!

October 1, 2010 at 10:01 pm |
  2. cher

i have been watching cnn for years, now i won't! Sanchex was fun, enlightening and was biased against white people. Look at the anchors now, I am so sick of hearing about the blacks in America, their problems are their own fault... but if you listen to Ali Bleshi and so many of the other anchors, it is the fault of all of the white people in Ameerica!
    Talk about racisim!!!! I am disappointed in you CNN, take a good look at yourself before you start throwing stones!

October 1, 2010 at 9:51 pm |
    • Good Question

i know what you mean by it's all their own fault(the blacks). The poverty they live in is their own fault(they wouldn't take all of that land and gold the good white people tried to give them). Remember the Tulsa race riots(google it). It a great example of how blacks have money and land and just RUIN IT FOR THEMSELVES.

October 3, 2010 at 1:00 pm |
  3. william gibbs

GOD BLESS YOU RICK SANCHEZ. KEEP YOUR HEAD UP. MOVE FORWARD. DON'T ALLOW THE EVIL POWER'S THAT BE, TO BOTHER THEE. DON'T ALLOW THE KKK TO TAKE YOUR JOY AWAY. ( tea party) (GOP) USA SHOULD BE CHANGED TO DSA. DIVIDED STATES of AMERICA

October 1, 2010 at 9:49 pm |
  4. Caveman

Anti-Christian bigotry is everywhere on television. It's not only permitted, it's considered politically correct. RIck was right, jews are NOT a persecuted minority in the United States. They were at one time – but not now. It is NOT an anti-semitic thing to say and it's not bigoted, it's just a fact. Jews are NOT a persecuted minority in the US today. African Americans have always been and still are. Hispanics are. Jews were at one time – but, again, they are NO LONGER a persecuted minority. CNN made a mistake firing Sanchez. I won't be watching CNN anymore – or FOX or MSNBC.

October 1, 2010 at 9:48 pm |
  5. Dave Goldman

Rick Sanchez is not getting arrested. He has a right to say anything hostile about any ethnic group. He also should not be reporting the news.

October 1, 2010 at 9:47 pm |
  6. Iqbal khan

Jessi jackson, Mel Gibson, Helen Thomas and now Rick what were their crimes

October 1, 2010 at 9:45 pm |
  7. veloz

Boicott CNN ...

October 1, 2010 at 9:42 pm |
  8. Mason

Rick was always an embarrassment to CNN. Finally he's gone!

October 1, 2010 at 9:41 pm |
  9. Tonina

Gee, what a shame. I'm sure the viewing public and CNN will never be able to sustain the loss.

No, Mr. Sanchez wasn't fired for "expressing his opinion." He was fired for making bigoted remarks and ranting about his current employer, on air no less, in a remarkably unprofessional manner. I don't know about anyone else, but if I went out and bad-mouthed my employer on TV, radio, or in the paper, I'd be looking for a new job shortly thereafter. If I bad-mouthed my employer through the news media AND uttered bigoted remarks while doing so, I'd be fired within the hour. Why exactly should there be lesser expectations for Mr. Sanchez, a man who is a journalist (of a sort) and has had many years to develop the job's requisite thick skin and public poise?

I'm hardly thrilled about the new show the network will be putting in that time slot, but this is one move CNN got right.

October 1, 2010 at 9:40 pm |
    • David

He did not bad mouth CNN..he talked about ONE individual at CNN. You can't ever put any criticism against Jews unless you are one or else you are an anti-Semite. The reality is that most networks are owned by Jewish people. Furthermore, Rick was referring to one guy in CNN not all CNN in general. Is not like he went around calling them ki-kes or something like that!

October 1, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
  10. dar mastro

Obviously Rick hit a nerve!Glen Beck gets away with everything.So it`s okay to trash the President but not the Jews.Rick I am from So.Fla.and never cared for you but this is wrong.Shame on you CNN.I wont miss you.

October 1, 2010 at 9:38 pm |
    • Robert

Sanchez was a no talent moron. I for one am glad to see him fired. He was dumb enough to stereotype an ethnic group and got busted for doing it. He went on the air and trashed not only his employer but many of the other newsmedia firms.

October 1, 2010 at 9:48 pm |
    • Carol

I agree, I can't believe they fired him over this! And I never did understand why Larry King is leaving his show, is it because he is being forced out, or is it really his idea to go. They are never going to find someone like him, he is excellent at interviewing and he pretty much keeps his views to himself. I will definitely miss his show. I think Rick will find a show on another channel, he needs a talk show, less focused on news.

October 1, 2010 at 11:11 pm |
  11. Tourpilot

Rick Sanchez was a blow-hard. What ever happened to real reporting? I don't want the newscaster's opinion. I want the news. I don't care what Rick Sanchez thinks. He was so full of himself. As soon as he came on, we switched CNN off. He's ripe for Fox – another network we don't watch. Go hold hands with Glenn Beck, the Demagogue. Get more anchors like Anderson Cooper CNN. Anderson is the best you have. Who cares about his comment about Jewish influence. He had to go just for being who he is – and idiot.

October 1, 2010 at 9:34 pm |
  12. LC

Sanchez has been, or should have been seen as, an embarrassment to CNN since he first got an anchor spot. He's a blowhard with a huge, huge ego whose only on-air skill seemed to be the ability to fill minute after minute after minute after minute of air-time with sheer nonsense. He frequently made absolutely incorrect statements and continued to repeat them even after an interviewee corrected him (this was especially apparent during the Gulf oil spill and the Chilean earthquake).

It would be nice to think that CNN will now look for a real journalist but that seems unlikely since its definition of journalist is somebody who can gossip "knowledgably" about politics.

Luckily, I get most of my TV news from France's TV5, Italy's RAI and a variety of LatAm networks.

October 1, 2010 at 9:34 pm |
    • ComeOnCNN

Indeed. The amount of times that I've winced after hearing him state something incorrectly is no small number.

October 1, 2010 at 9:38 pm |
  13. Hobo87

Rick Sanchez is insufferable even compared to other cable TV show moron/egotists. But he's a *lot* dumber than the rest of them if he would say something like that in front of a microphone. Was he drunk?

October 1, 2010 at 9:33 pm |
  14. ComeOnCNN

Rick Sanchez truly is a mediocre anchor at best. He tells the news as if he's speaking to a bunch of young children. And his infatuation with social media? Don't even get me started.

Looks like he ended up at the top of one of his lists that you don't want to be on.

October 1, 2010 at 9:32 pm |
  15. Lisa Kramer

It's about time. Rick Sanchez is an idiot. There's no other word for it. It has always surprised that he had a real job on CNN.
    Forget the bigoted aspect of why he was fired. He's just not very bright. And certainly should never have been given
    a slot on CNN.

October 1, 2010 at 9:28 pm |
  16. Kathleen Burch

Why would you let Rick Sanchez go? He is one of the reasons my husband and I watched CNN. What happened to freedom of speech? Can't believe you hired Elliot Spitzer and let Rick go.What could you have possibly been thinking? No more CNN in this household.

October 1, 2010 at 9:26 pm |
  17. David Johnson

I am kind of wondering why this is on the Religious blogs. ?

Should I be praying Sanchez is healed of his stupidity?

Lord, this man has stupid all over his body! Help him lord. In the name of Jeeesus!

October 1, 2010 at 9:25 pm |
  18. pyrovixen

I'm doing a little dance around my living room. I had stopped watching CNN because I disliked Rick Sanchez so much. I found him to be an arrogant, opinionated sensationalist. Now, can we get back to reporting the news and not editorializing it? And, though he may have been fired by the Jews who, in his opinion, run CNN, it doesn't necessarily follow that he was fired for anti-Jewish comments. More likely, as I choose to believe, he was fired because he criticized his employers in a public forum. I know of no other employer who would tolerate such behavior. Why should CNN? It's likely that we all have been frustrated by our employers at one time or another, but would we be foolish enough to publicly criticize them and not expect to be terminated? Bravo, CNN. Goodbye and good riddance.

October 1, 2010 at 9:25 pm |
  19. Mary

Wow-- what a disappointment as he was the only one we cared to watch beside Jack Cafferty- Thanks for Nothing!!!

October 1, 2010 at 9:23 pm |
    • David Johnson

Sanchez and Cafferty? I bet you wrinkled your brow when you watched huh? LOL

October 1, 2010 at 9:27 pm |
  20. Betty Angelo

CNN, you blew it! What happened to freedom of speech? Personally, I didn't get the same meaning that you did from what Rick said. Jewish people are mostly successful and well thought of. Who cares what Jon Stewart's religion is? I always looked forward to seeing Rick's presence on CNN==no reason to watch it anymore.Peace and Best of Luck,Rick

October 1, 2010 at 9:22 pm |