home
RSS
October 1st, 2010

CNN's Rick Sanchez out after controversial comments on Jews

CNN anchor Rick Sanchez left the network Friday afternoon, a day after making some controversial comments, including this about TV host Jon Stewart:

"I'm telling you that everybody who runs CNN is a lot like Stewart, and a lot of people who run all the other networks are a lot like Stewart, and to imply that somehow they, the people in this country who are Jewish, are an oppressed minority? Yeah."

Sanchez was responding to a question from XM Sirius radio host Pete Dominick, who noted that Stewart is Jewish after Sanchez had called him "a bigot," saying Stewart is biased against "everybody else who's not like him."

Full story here.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Judaism • TV

1. kristin

People routinely make these kinds of comments about white gentiles and they get a pat on the back rather than being fired. It is no more hateful to point out that jews have a considerable amount of power than it is to point out that white gentiles do. Why is this something that can never b e talked about? That should make everyone with half a brain a little leery. The idea that jews are oppressed is laughable. There is nothing wrong with what Sanchez said about jews. Many jews, Ben Stein, for example, have even talked about the vast jewish overrepresentation in the media.

October 1, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  2. Squad

Fair and balanced? Talk about controlling your employees 24/7 at CNN. Some big honcho does not believe in freedom of speech!

October 1, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
  3. JG

Dear Rick Sanchez,

When you decide to calm down and stop all your rating-seeking huffing and puffing, think about the irony (cruel to you and poetic to others) in SanchezGate: With respect to all the "power" you assert that Jews have in media, and by your own admission, at CNN too, the naked truth is that you actually held a great deal of power. The power not to get fired due to your own arrogance, thoughtlessness and stupidity. CNN deserves a lot of credit for taking swift action. At least getting rid of you is less humiliating than a demotion. After all, a fine journalist like yourself shouldn't be relegated several notches down. And at your next gig, try not to confuse a newsreader with an actual reporter - you're liable to ruffle some feathers. Lastly, learn some humility and admit you were a schmuck. It's OK, Rick - plenty of non-Jewish people worldwide use the word, "schmuck." You can say it without worry of being dragged to a Sabbath dinner.

October 1, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  4. alfletch

Now maybe I can return to watching CNN in the afternoon, 3 to 5 and 8 to 9....hope you get some interesting informative programming for these times..

October 1, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  5. mjwilstein

I cannot wait to see how the Daily Show covers this. Here's one of my favorite clips of Jon Stewart mocking Rick Sanchez:

October 1, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  6. john

Maybe Rick Sanchez was corrrect in saying "Jews run the media".......and with Hispanics like Rick Sanchez "thinking" they run the U.S.A.? TV is turned off.....lawnboy fired- problem solved!

October 1, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
    • josie

John, I totally agree with you, the Hispanics think that this country should bow to their culture and demand more and more. It is like having an Islam law that is trying to get into the country's judicial system. I am a minority but I dont DEMAND anything from this country, I try to do my best for a better U. S. A. from a silent Filipino.

October 1, 2010 at 11:36 pm |
    • Balljoin

John you forgot to mention beside lawnboy the fact that they are also the ones where some wives go for consolation, may be yours...

October 2, 2010 at 12:10 am |
  7. Carl in Alaska

Mixed emotions here. While I'm glad to see Sanchez go because of his anti-White bigotry, terminating him only 24 hours after he accused Jews of dominating the media makes it look like he was correct. CNN may have handed a propaganda victory to genuine anti-Semites.

October 1, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
    • Carol

Carl in Alaska.....looks like you've been drinking the "Sarah Palin Kool Aid" Keith Olbermann, Rachel Maddow, Lawrence O'Donnell and Chris Matthews are tying desperately to wake up this "sleeping country" to see what is really going on, thats a real tough job seeing what's out there, people who are following Palin and her set of Kooks are destroying this country.

October 1, 2010 at 11:19 pm |
  8. Myra Gordon

I love Rick's show...he is a very charismatic person and a very good Journalist.

Do we really have freedom of Speech in this country?

I see a lot of journalists talking bad about the Presidents and they still keep their jobs....

Think about it....!

God Bless America, and help its people to have equality....

October 1, 2010 at 10:21 pm |
  9. ARTGARDENER

CNN needs another Keith Oberman...he rocks (unless he's Jewish 🙂

October 1, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
    • Carl in Alaska

That's precisely who CNN does NOT need. CNN is a respectable journalistic venue; they don't hire cartoon characters like Keith Olberman, Rachel Maddow, or Chris Matthews. MSNBC promotes gutter journalism.

By the way, Olberman is Jewish, but that's the least of his problems.

October 1, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  10. Keith

David Johnson, You need to get a hobby or something. Is this all you do? Or do you do this from work? You don't build Jeep Grand Cherokee's do you?

October 1, 2010 at 10:17 pm |
  11. David

Ohhh....so he criticized some people at his own network..big f*ng deal..oh wait they are JEWS!...oh , and him being a Hispanic man ...how could he???...I wish we could do a "Keeping them honest" section on CNN executives.

October 1, 2010 at 10:11 pm |
    • Dave Goldman

Very perceptive of you to recognize the Jewish vs. Latin American rivalry. I think it goes back to a personal grudge between Moctezuma and Rabbi Akiva. I had no idea you bigoted types were so articulate and educated.

October 1, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
  12. marvin drysdale

sanchez is one of those high profile news people who did not know how widespread hatred for jews is around the globe. jews don't get a pass from other jews simply because they might be a jew. jews have to prove themselves to be of good character and higly intelligent every waking day to each other and to non-jews. god made 'em that way. god chose them.

October 1, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
  13. forreal

I enjoyed Rick’s List, he will be missed. I would elaborate more, but it (imo) won’t bring him back.

October 1, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
  14. Brenda

@ robert......Shame, Shame.......you must be an OLD Jewish Stupid White Man or will be 1 day.

October 1, 2010 at 10:01 pm |
  15. Adam

Thank you CNN! About time you fired this joke of an anchor.

October 1, 2010 at 10:01 pm |
    • josie

from a silent minority Filipino who is glad that this loud mouth racist R. S. if finally let go for using the race card everytime he thinks that other people dont agree with him. Why do we cater to one minority group like the hispanics when there are other minority groups in this country. We come here to be Americans and not hypenated Americans. They have the right to leave this country if they dont like it.

October 1, 2010 at 11:43 pm |
  16. Tony H

I am not a RIck Sanchez fan, but I think this firing was premature. It is a fact that jews do own the majority of U.S. media. Levine, Eisner, Bronfman, Redstone, Dammerman, and Chernin collectively control ABC, NBC, CBS, Turner, CNN, and so on. This is not prejudices, it is the truth. Deal with it. Why can the media slam other cultures and no one even cares.

October 1, 2010 at 9:58 pm |
    • Dave Goldman

NBC is owned by General Electric, CEO Jeffrey Immelt. CNN and Turner are owned by Time Warner, CEO Jeffrey Bewkes. Neither is Jewish. Yes, the chairmen of the companies that own ABC and CBS are Jewish. Thanks for the compliment, though, and we hope that someday we really can control the media, the banks and, especially, your children. Until then, we can only scheme. Peace and love, brother.

October 1, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  17. Mina

I understand that a company has the right to fire an employee who doesn't say nice things about them, however what Rick Sanchez said was nothing controversial. It that is really the reason he was fired, that is pretty lame CNN. He is a great ANCHOR - you only see him as a "reporter". I would also be upset that I was told, being an anchor, that they only see me as a reporter. What do you call that? I would say bring him back, but you don't deserve him. This is your time to move on Rick Sanchez and wherever you to I WILL BE FOLLOWING YOU. YOUR LOSS CNN!!!!!

October 1, 2010 at 9:58 pm |
  18. Eric G.

How do I get an interview for his time slot?

October 1, 2010 at 9:58 pm |
    • Dave Goldman

Talk to the Jews, apparently. I'm one, but I only control CNBC and the San Jose Mercury News. I've got some friends over at CNN, so I'll see what I can do.

October 1, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  19. gem

I hope Wolf Blitzer and the Situation Room go back to 4p. Sanchez is no Blitzer.

October 1, 2010 at 9:55 pm |
  20. cher

corrections! I was so angry, I didn't proofread my comment! Sanchez was NOT biased against whites, but look at the other anchors

October 1, 2010 at 9:53 pm |