home
RSS
October 1st, 2010

CNN's Rick Sanchez out after controversial comments on Jews

CNN anchor Rick Sanchez left the network Friday afternoon, a day after making some controversial comments, including this about TV host Jon Stewart:

"I'm telling you that everybody who runs CNN is a lot like Stewart, and a lot of people who run all the other networks are a lot like Stewart, and to imply that somehow they, the people in this country who are Jewish, are an oppressed minority? Yeah."

Sanchez was responding to a question from XM Sirius radio host Pete Dominick, who noted that Stewart is Jewish after Sanchez had called him "a bigot," saying Stewart is biased against "everybody else who's not like him."

Full story here.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Judaism • TV

1. Paul

Rick Sanchez has been the poster child for pathetic journalists for years. We watch him just to laugh at his copious gaffes and arrogant style. Anybody ever heard of Ted Baxter?

October 1, 2010 at 11:33 pm |
    • Doogie

This just in! Chuckles the Clown is dead. And so is Rick Sanchez' career.

October 1, 2010 at 11:50 pm |
  2. Doogie

Why do I feel that everybody who is writing that they're not going to watch CNN anymore are Rupert Murdoch's people Astroturfing for Fox News?.

October 1, 2010 at 11:25 pm |
  3. Marlean

I started watching CNN because of Rick Sanchez..........I'm with alot of others I won't be watching CNN, Rick was the only thing on CNN I watched........Is starting to make me think of the real reason CNN let him go???????????????

October 1, 2010 at 11:20 pm |
  4. marvin drysdale

sanchez was probably thinking to himself that jon stewart surrounds himself with TVs greatest minds and wittiest writers. but the words simply were verbalized as "one-half of a percent of the US population is a minority–yeah right."

October 1, 2010 at 11:20 pm |
  5. Doogie

No matter what happens, Stewart will have a field day with this on Monday.

Rick Should have known better than to mess with John Stewart. After all, he's a Green Lantern of sector 2814.

October 1, 2010 at 11:20 pm |
  6. Gwen

Well, there goes one of my last good reasons for watching CNN! Soon, there won't be any good reasons left to watch it.

October 1, 2010 at 11:19 pm |
  7. rjsquirrel

wow, just read through these comments. I would have thought I was transported back in time to Germany 1939. Never realized anti-semitism was so alive in america. Guess Rick Sanchez is the new leader of the Reich and all these folks love him. Damn.

October 1, 2010 at 11:17 pm |
    • Dave Goldman

It's not so bad, RJ. Rick Sanchez is no Nazi, and this isn't Germany. It's a comments thread on the anonymous Internet. This is where the bigots gather before they climb back under their rocks. Enjoy the ignorance.

October 1, 2010 at 11:42 pm |
    • sophistaphunk

If people here were stating that Jews should be erased from the earth, then you could make the Nazi Germany comparisons. People here are simply stating the truth, like Sanchez. Did. Look at how the comments in support of Sanchez overwhelmingly outnumber the comments against him. CNN should be very embarrassed. And please stop misusing and abusing the word antisemitic. I am so tired of people crying wolf unnecessarily.

And ALSO JEW IS A RELIGION, NOT A RACE!!!!

October 3, 2010 at 2:10 pm |
  8. miami man

Rick, get yourself a good lawyer / hit CNN where it hurts in the wallet

October 1, 2010 at 11:17 pm |
    • Carol

Miami Man....Amen to that!

October 1, 2010 at 11:20 pm |
    • JG

A lawyer may not be his best strategy. Haven't you heard, all the good ones are Jews!

October 1, 2010 at 11:27 pm |
  9. Grayson

keeping them honest?????? What a bunch of crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rich was one of your BEST journalists. I was already getting tired of you all stiffling Anderson Cooper. Now you fire Rick. I won't be watching CNN anymore.

October 1, 2010 at 11:14 pm |
  10. RWPanama

Glad to see that CNN got rid of a racist, biased, bigoted, unfair and completely partial rag-journalist...well done CNN. Sanchez is a loser. Sanchez is a shame to all who truly understand that there is no place for racist comments. More importantly even Fidel has come out publicly and vocalized the brutal past that haunts Jews worldwide and that they need to be supported. Sanchez, stand in line with the other racists. I will be a new viewer CNN...well done!

October 1, 2010 at 11:09 pm |
  11. Rudy

This is total BS. I've heard the interview now and I think it's ridiculous that CNN let go of Rick. What Rick said, in the context of the interview, was valid. Especially so if you've experienced what he talked about. What Rick skirted around was the matter of color. As much as I respect all minorities, the minority experience is entirely different if you can't fit in superficially. While Jewish people may understand and be affected by prejudice, I don't think it's comparable to the experience of some Hispanics. I would say the same is true for Hispanics and African-Americans. The experiences are very different and I think, affected largely by appearances. It is shameful that Rick's frankness regarding this issue creates these consequences. I used to cherish my lunch break during last semester because I'd get to watch some of his show. He was insightful, honest, entertaining and informative. My family and I are so disappointed in CNN.

October 1, 2010 at 11:05 pm |
  12. HoustonRN

Shame on you CNN. Rick was one of the best. I will miss his passion and insite. Just want to know, when will you give an African American a show?

October 1, 2010 at 11:04 pm |
  13. Howard

Over-rated; under-brained. Good to be gone drunk driver. Be gone; stay gone.

October 1, 2010 at 10:59 pm |
  14. Doogie

Don't worry, Rick, Hellen Thomas and Mel Gibson are working together to start a brand new 24 hr news network; NJNN – No Jews News Network. Iran is already offering free air time on the state run television channels.

October 1, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  15. Joey

Good riddance. His over-the-top, let-me-fill-up-your-screen persona was annoying; his delivery was uneven; and he never really understood that news programs are about the news, not him.

October 1, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  16. Lil

Looks like FOX has just gained a new anchor.

October 1, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  17. Dave Goldman

Dear Mr. Romero: As you can see, we also control lowercase. Be nice to us and you can have it back. Yours, The Jews

October 1, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
    • Joey

Great response to that guy.

October 1, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
    • Oliva Bernardsville

Don't act like it's not true though. Maybe you personally do not control anything but AIPAC, hollywood, media giants "RUPERT MURDOCH" and etc., are big players in manipulating public perception to their interests over everyone else. It's the truth and you should like it and accept it. Too bad, other groups do not have such power, if they did, they would use the media to fight discrimination as a whole. But nowadays, media is so focused on harassing another group, the Muslims, and yet you can talk about them and hate them, but no one gets fired? Go figure.

October 2, 2010 at 4:00 am |
    • Frank

"But nowadays, media is so focused on harassing another group, the Muslims, and yet you can talk about them and hate them, but no one gets fired? Go figure."

Same goes for constantly talking bad about Christians/Christianity, especially Catholicism. You can urinate on a picture of Christ and draw applause and acclaim.

So you can talk bad about Christians and Muslims, who revere Christ and His Mother, but not Jews. Hmm, what's going on here?

October 2, 2010 at 4:06 am |
  18. hromero

I HAVE LISTENED RICK'S INTERVIEW AND HE DID NOT SAY ANYTHING CONTROVERSIAL ABOUT JEWS. SADLY IN THIS COUNTRY THE WORD "JEW" OR TO TALK ABOUT JEWS IS A TABOO. ONE CAN SAY RICK IS CUBAN BUT NOT JON IS A JEW OR IMPLY THAT JON ONLY LIKES JEWS!?! WHY IS IT THAT WE CAN'T SAY THAT THERE ARE MANY JEWS IN MEDIA BUT IS OK TO SAY THAT THERE ARE MANY LATINOS IN SPORTS? I'M SORRY, THERE'S SOMETHING WRONG THERE!!! AND YES, JEWS ARE NO LONGER AN OPPRESSED MINORITY. CNN YOU DID WRONG!

October 1, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  19. Leah

I actually enjoyed his show, then sent a friend request on FB (it was a professional page, not a personal one) and then kept getting all of his updates for awhile but couldn't ever comment on anything because he wouldn't accept my friend request. It irked me and after a couple months I deleted him. I'm glad I quit watching him, what an a$$.

October 1, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
  20. John

I started watching Rick Sanchez a couple years ago. I actually started believing that CNN was trying to balance somewhat the news. Sanchez really provided good inside on issues like the Arizona law, free speech and others. I will stop watching CNN. I will tell my friends, my relatives, my co-workers and any telemarketing that calls my house to get my opinion on TV shows.

October 1, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
    • Dave Goldman

Sorry, the Jews control telemarketing, too. Plan B?

October 1, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
    • John

Mr Goldman, please enlighten us! Your ethnic group specially the higher end needs some public relations lessons. How can their actions stop being generalized to the rest of the lower end of the Jewish ethnic group? Obviously the entire ~5% of the US population that identifies as Jewish are not to blame. It's only the bad apples. I though that the idea of the country was to respect "diversity" to the point that I have to say "Happy Holidays" and not "Merry Christmas". Well, I'm cool with that, but you guys need to take some criticism as well and not hide behind the shadows of the horrors of the Holocaust all of the time. This is the 21st century and not the 1930s Germany.

October 2, 2010 at 11:26 am |