home
RSS
October 1st, 2010

CNN's Rick Sanchez out after controversial comments on Jews

CNN anchor Rick Sanchez left the network Friday afternoon, a day after making some controversial comments, including this about TV host Jon Stewart:

"I'm telling you that everybody who runs CNN is a lot like Stewart, and a lot of people who run all the other networks are a lot like Stewart, and to imply that somehow they, the people in this country who are Jewish, are an oppressed minority? Yeah."

Sanchez was responding to a question from XM Sirius radio host Pete Dominick, who noted that Stewart is Jewish after Sanchez had called him "a bigot," saying Stewart is biased against "everybody else who's not like him."

Full story here.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Judaism • TV

1. Goodbye CNN

Rick Sanchez's words were may have been racially insensitive, and I have not always been a fan of his. But CNN's actions speak louder than words. CNN employed Lou (the anti-Latino) Dobbs for years and never censured him for his racial insensitivity. CNN has done a poor job of reflecting the Latino population in its reporting staff. Now they fire Sanchez for taking pots shots at Stewart, who has continuously taken aim at him. CNN, where are the other Latinos on staff? Well, if it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, and looks like a duck, it's probably a duck... and CNN is most likely run by Jews who clearly have little tolerance for Jew bashing. Goodbye CNN, when you're ready to better represent Latinos, let me know... until then I'm out of here.

October 2, 2010 at 2:20 am |
    • Karen

I agree. Goodbye CNN.

October 2, 2010 at 2:49 pm |
  2. Jerome

@ David Johnson

You need to stop smoking crack before you get online. You sound insane. I'm not saying the Republicans have all the answers but if you look at this current administration (which by your answer, you haven't) they're not doing so great themselves. Under this administration you can kiss Social Security, Medicare and just about everything else goodbye to the Chinese because they're ain't no coming back from this type of debt. Oh by the way, you might be canceling out RJ's vote, but I'll be one upping you. Cheers.

October 2, 2010 at 2:19 am |
    • Frank

Both the Dems and the Reps can go shove it. Voting doesn't mean anything. I don't think it ever did.

October 2, 2010 at 2:23 am |
  3. Francisco Torres

Firing Rick just confirm his comments. I never wanted to believe that white elitist controlled CNN but it is true. Where are the headlines about this? Actions speak louder than the propaganda that they put out everyday. I am done with CNN.

October 2, 2010 at 2:13 am |
    • Bill

agreed

October 2, 2010 at 4:16 am |
  4. sam

CNN..Thank YOU.....Each time Rick's List came on..I had to change the channel..He was very annoying...I will watch more CNN Now....Good Job CNN....I hope you fill he's timeline with someone exciting and balanced in views...CNN Needs to do that or will lose viewers..

October 2, 2010 at 2:12 am |
  5. Jerome

Finally CNN did something right. I was tired of hearing him report. He would do more of a commentary on the news and be sarcastic than reporting the news itself. No wonder why CNN is going down the toilet fast. Too many of their anchors give out commentaries and personal opinions than report the news. A lot of them are sarcastic liberal nuts. You remember what happened to AirAmerica? Well if CNN doesn't shape up fast they're heading in the same direction.

October 2, 2010 at 2:11 am |
  6. Rick Sanchez

Drunk driving

On December 10, 1990, Sanchez struck a drunken pedestrian, Jeffrey Smuzinick, with his car on a residential street near Dolphin Stadium (then known as Joe Robbie Stadium) and left the scene, returning two hours later.[12] Smuzinick was paralyzed and eventually died in an assisted living facility on November 2, 1995.[13] Sanchez had just left the NFL football game between the Miami Dolphins and the Philadelphia Eagles with his father when the accident occurred. Police breathalyzer results determined that Sanchez's blood alcohol level was above the legal limit for driving. He was not charged with causing the accident, but was charged with and pleaded no contest to driving under the influence (DUI).[14]

October 2, 2010 at 2:00 am |
    • Doogie

Was Jeffrey Smuzinick Jewish? Maybe there's a pattern here?

Ah, I miss he good old days of people being able to drive drunk and then murdering somebody with your car, and then getting away with it. Now sadly, people have to go to jail when they kill somebody with their car under when they're driving under the influence of alcohol. I'm sure Rick misses those days too.

October 2, 2010 at 2:40 am |
    • Frank

I take you've never heard of Rebecca Gayheart, Halle Berry, Matthew Broderick, Roger Avary, Vince Neil and Brandy?

October 2, 2010 at 2:51 am |
    • Frank

Also, did the thought ever occur to you that Jeffery walked out infront of the car? He was drunk. Does that excuse it? No. But, still.

October 2, 2010 at 2:55 am |
    • CUBAN IN LI

sorry to hear that, but what does that have to with this????that was something that happen in 1990. haven't you done something that you could wish you can take back? keep to the subject!

October 2, 2010 at 1:53 pm |
  7. Jeannie Niles

I'm sorry Rick Sanchez was removed from CNN. His show was my very favorite and I thought "Rick's List" was awesome.
    Rick also added vibrancy the news and it was obvious how much he cared about his reporting. Maybe CNN will change their minds? I wish Rick all the best and will be sure to watch whatever program he has.

October 2, 2010 at 1:58 am |
  8. robby

I also remember when Michael Jackson had a lyric in one of his many songs talking about Jews. The record company made him change his lyrics..

CASE CLOSE AGAIN!!!!

October 2, 2010 at 1:56 am |
    • Doogie

No, they didn't. "Sue Me, Jew Me, Kick Me, Ki-ke Me" is still in the song lyrics for "They Don't Care About Us". But hey ignorant people like making ignorant statements.

October 2, 2010 at 2:33 am |
  9. John

Viva Che!!

October 2, 2010 at 1:49 am |
  10. foogy

U Zionist type Joos R exposing you thin cover

October 2, 2010 at 1:42 am |
    • Doogie

No! It's Juus, with a "u". Can't you spell anything wright?

October 2, 2010 at 2:24 am |
  11. LOLA

JEWS run EVERYTHING. and they still want recognition as victims for something that happened years ago. CNN you just lost a HUGE amount of latino viewers.

October 2, 2010 at 1:33 am |
    • Dave Goldman

If you really want to get to the Jews at CNN, this post is not enough. You must call them whenever you're not watching CNN to let them know that you're not watching. Now get off the computer, and get on the phone. Tomorrow morning, call them up and say, "This is Lola, and I'm watching Animal Planet because you fired Rick Sanchez!" You've got the power. Now use it.

October 2, 2010 at 1:56 am |
    • Lola De European

... Not only latino viewers, European too, ... even JEWS!

October 2, 2010 at 6:48 am |
  12. heltay

what happened to freedom of speech, this i s the second journalist who gets fired for talking about jews.i guess jews are so powefull

October 2, 2010 at 1:31 am |
    • Bill

I'm done with CNN

October 2, 2010 at 4:18 am |
  13. Frank

Go Rick Sanchez! Everybody knows a certain type of Jews run the media, for the most part. It's an 'open secret'. Just one of those things that everyone knows but we're not 'supposed' to talk about. Like when Oliver Stone said that certain Jews and Jewish groups are stifiling debate on the Holocaust, they proved him right by foaming at the mouth and threatening to destroy his career! Accuser: "Jews run the media!" The Accused: "No, we don't!...Fire him! Destroy his career!"
    I love it. This world is insane. And Jon Stewart is an idiot. He hasn't done anything worthwhile.

October 2, 2010 at 1:23 am |
  14. CNN needs to grow a pair.

I heard the entire interview on satellite radio and the whole thing stems from Sanchez taking Stewart's jokes personally. While I don't necessarily agree with what Sanchez said, this is a complete joke for CNN to fire him. It definitely makes it look like CNN felt Sanchez was hitting too close to home for some of their execs. I don't see Stewart getting fired by Comedy Central for offending people – is it just because he's been a comedian? Give me a break CNN – grow a pair and give Sanchez his job back.

October 2, 2010 at 1:22 am |
  15. Muneef

Guys are you sure he said Jews or Zionests because Jews are only a religion that is not politicly motivated but the politicly motivated one that runs all media and film industry financial organizations are Zionests the politicaly motivated movement that take cover of disguise the Jewish Faith.
    The Zion Train is coming our way.Bob Marley and the Wailers ?

October 2, 2010 at 12:53 am |
    • Doogie

Dude, if you're going to go on an Anti-Zionist rant, the first thing you need to know is how to spell "Zionist". I mean even Hitler got a good report card for spelling in elementary school.

October 2, 2010 at 12:58 am |
    • Muneef

Thanks for guidance but only was wondering who is in real control Jews or Zionists or are both one?? Not sure of the answer but are you having an answer? My spelling is not the problem if you understood since mistakes happen while typing...

October 2, 2010 at 1:13 am |
    • Frank

Zionists aren't real Jews. And it's not just Zionists, either.

October 2, 2010 at 1:29 am |
  16. trell

thats messed up yall should'nt have gotten tid of rick he speaks the truth from now on im watching msnbc cnn and fox might as well be in the same category stop the fronting.

October 2, 2010 at 12:52 am |
  17. Mel

I cant believe he is gone. I watched CNN especially for Rick Sanchez. Well maybe another network will pick him up and I will follow him.

October 2, 2010 at 12:45 am |
    • Doogie

Mr. Gibson, glad to see you're out chatting with your fans again! 🙂

October 2, 2010 at 12:46 am |
  18. Lane Giard

Good Luck Rick. I hope to hear you on Fox.

October 2, 2010 at 12:41 am |
  19. Halldor Halldorsson

And all this because of an idiot like Jon Stewart! Are the owners and rulers of CNN of the illusion that peaple think CNN is unbiased and broadminded??????

October 2, 2010 at 12:39 am |
  20. jay hagenston

is this a democratic country??? or are we in cuba ??? i say go get a job at RCN or CARACOL they would love to have an opinintadded & education well vers man were we can exept differert points of wiew. or am I talking to fox news???

October 2, 2010 at 12:35 am |