home
RSS
October 1st, 2010

CNN's Rick Sanchez out after controversial comments on Jews

CNN anchor Rick Sanchez left the network Friday afternoon, a day after making some controversial comments, including this about TV host Jon Stewart:

"I'm telling you that everybody who runs CNN is a lot like Stewart, and a lot of people who run all the other networks are a lot like Stewart, and to imply that somehow they, the people in this country who are Jewish, are an oppressed minority? Yeah."

Sanchez was responding to a question from XM Sirius radio host Pete Dominick, who noted that Stewart is Jewish after Sanchez had called him "a bigot," saying Stewart is biased against "everybody else who's not like him."

Full story here.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Judaism • TV

1. Lee

So in the end he was right. I love Jon Stewart and disagree with the statements but firing sends the wrong message to all CNN reporters who will kiss even more a$$ and not say what the feel. Rick was a good perspective...no matter how he annoyed me. CNN is continuing the slide. Sad.

October 2, 2010 at 8:50 am |
  2. Pat

You are crazy,CNN. Rick was a great commentator. You say what you feel like about other religions or for that matter the pope. Get Rick back!!!! Everyone call CNN and express your distain. Pat

October 2, 2010 at 8:46 am |
  3. Jim

CNN needs to stop being so sensitive and understand there are more views than one in the world. We are all from some nationality so any comment can seem offensive to anyone else. Looks like CNN should go back to the "silent movie" stage where you watch the picture but no one is able to say anything.

October 2, 2010 at 8:44 am |
  4. Paul A

Jon Stewart is not a bigot. He is a comedian who makes fun of people for a living. He makes fun of people for a living. He made fun of Rick Sanchez because Rick gave him so much material.

Rick Sanchez is second tier all on his own – you don't need to bring his heritage into it. This rant proves it.

October 2, 2010 at 8:35 am |
    • Paul B

Paul A... All your pillow talk with Jon Stewart is showing through.

October 4, 2010 at 9:20 pm |
  5. GDJ

Enjoyed his program; just kept getting better. Not sure if Brooke can pull it off. Understand the reasons.

October 2, 2010 at 8:33 am |
  6. michelle.

deeple sadend. goodbye cnn.

October 2, 2010 at 8:32 am |
  7. Cindy

Interesting comments. Rick reminds me of Aaron Brown. A self-confident, over the top ego centric reporter who is a passionate reporter indeed. That being said, I won't miss him on CNN. I turn on to watch the news, as we all know is not impartial. I watch CNN not Fox, which says a lot about my political outlook. What I won't miss, (like I didn't miss when Brown left CNN) is his self focused tilt on everything. Anderson Cooper has opinions, which he displays, but he doesn't become the story. Rick was all about Rick...Got old very quickly and when he moved to the evening time slot, the channel got changed in our household. I wish him well as he is a substantive journalist. I won't mis the "me, me, me" aspect that he shared with Brown.

October 2, 2010 at 8:04 am |
  8. Frank

Good job, CNN. Lol.

October 2, 2010 at 7:25 am |
  9. Frank

Lol. The last 6 comments make NO sense at all when you read them in line.

October 2, 2010 at 7:25 am |
  10. k

so funny reading the comments of people saying Rick only spoke the truth

What does that mean, when you say Jews control the media what does that mean

Please show your evidence

and to say a comment like "Jews control the media"

That would imply Jews have some control like the Nazis had control over the media in Germany, or the communists have control over the media in North Korea

Is that what you are implying

Is Ted Turner Jewish, Is Rupert Murdoch and Roger Ailes at Fox News Jewish?

October 2, 2010 at 5:02 am |
    • Frank

k:

October 2, 2010 at 5:14 am |
    • Karen

Rick never said that, so stop putting it in quotes. He was talking about the subtle racism of northeastern white liberals as a whole. It was the radio host who injected religion into it by trying to make the claim that Stewart is an oppressed minority.

October 2, 2010 at 3:16 pm |
  11. Bill

I was never really a huge fan of Rick Sanchez, but this seems like a huge overreaction from CNN. I guess it's not ok for an anchor to voice his opinion on a DIFFERENT NETWORK? I'm done with CNN. This is B.S.

October 2, 2010 at 4:13 am |
  12. gina

Rick, I am very sorry that CNN, out of all broadcasting companies, would take such action to fire you based on such ridiculous conditions. First let me say: I am a huge FOX supporter! But at times
    I do watch CNN (especially your program). I just cannot belive that CNN would FIRE a pillar of the news media such as yourself. This has caused me to really lose A LOT of respect for CNN, as it has gradually wained in the past fews years. But now?
    What happen to freedom of speech? Can one not express his opinion if CNN is not in agreement or has different views or ways of thinking? What happened to the freedom of expressing your opion?
    So I ask you
    CNN where is your integrity, honor, loyalty, and dignity? It's poor and unethical behavior!!!
    You have heart and it was great to see you so passionate about bringing forth the news to the American people! I wish you the best in the future, and promise to continue to follow you wherever you go... on whatever news station you may be!

October 2, 2010 at 4:11 am |
  13. Jerome

@ James Nguyen

It's – he thought he spoke good english, NOT – he thought he speaks good english. Also, it's spelled goes, NOT gose.

@ Doogle

What time does she come on? Lol. CNN finally has something worth watching now? 🙂

October 2, 2010 at 3:24 am |
  14. missfitmissfit

AM BOYCOTTING CNN. THIS IS A DISGRACE. Thought your network had far more integrity then most of the others. Wonder how many other viewers you lost other then me over this? Supposedly we DON'T live in a faciest society where everyone must share the same POV... I guess not in CNNland. Is there really no room for any kind of freedom of speech/opinion in the new corporate-world order??

October 2, 2010 at 3:03 am |
    • Frank

"Is there really no room for any kind of freedom of speech/opinion in the new corporate-world order??"

Nope. Welcome to Orwell-land.

I'm surprised half the comments on this post showed up, including mine. Lol.

October 2, 2010 at 3:10 am |
  15. Doogie

You know what CNN Needs? More Jews. Larry King's retiring after all and he was secretly the head Jew at CNN.

That and a big chested, low-cut-top-wearing, 20-something blond female news anchor who doesn't have a mind of her own, but reads off the teleprompter nicely. And can giggle at the most inappropriate times.

October 2, 2010 at 2:59 am |
    • Houser

They are replacing Larry with another upstanding Jew - Spitzer

October 4, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  16. Frank

Unless you're J@panese or Chinese with some technology to offer, they don't care. Sorry to break it to you.

October 2, 2010 at 2:57 am |
    • Frank

That was for Mr. Nguyen.

October 2, 2010 at 2:58 am |
  17. Brian

It doesn't matter what Rick thinks. He was reckless by equating his bosses at CNN (his employer) as rascists bigots. It is never okay to voice such opinions about the people in control on the job. He is insubordinate and classless, truly 2nd tier.

October 2, 2010 at 2:57 am |
  18. HastaLaVista

Hasta la Vista Rick
    Its about time CNN threw him out.
    Now if they could rid of all of lopsided sad stories about blacks, latinos, and women, we might actually get to see some real fricking news on a NEWS CHANNEL

October 2, 2010 at 2:54 am |
    • Frank

Maybe this site is more to your tastes: http://www.resist.com ? 88?

October 2, 2010 at 2:59 am |
    • Frank

Or, if you're Jewish, perhaps you'd prefer: http://www.jdl.org/ ?

October 2, 2010 at 3:01 am |
  19. James Nguyen

CNN do not worry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Asian People We stand By You!!!!!! Hello CNN we love you!!!

October 2, 2010 at 2:51 am |
  20. Jame Nguyen

finally, CNN did a good job to fired Rick out....sanchez gose so far in his job, talk too much... he thought he speaks good english, now i feel good with CNN, Rick had been "attack" my ears lot...... bye "big-mouth" not "bigot"

October 2, 2010 at 2:44 am |