home
RSS
October 1st, 2010

CNN's Rick Sanchez out after controversial comments on Jews

CNN anchor Rick Sanchez left the network Friday afternoon, a day after making some controversial comments, including this about TV host Jon Stewart:

"I'm telling you that everybody who runs CNN is a lot like Stewart, and a lot of people who run all the other networks are a lot like Stewart, and to imply that somehow they, the people in this country who are Jewish, are an oppressed minority? Yeah."

Sanchez was responding to a question from XM Sirius radio host Pete Dominick, who noted that Stewart is Jewish after Sanchez had called him "a bigot," saying Stewart is biased against "everybody else who's not like him."

Full story here.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Judaism • TV

1. tiermensch

BRING BACK CAMPBELL BROWN!
    Ironic that Rick himself shows up on 'the list you don't want to be on.' This 'personality / opinion' -based evening program had grown tiresome with boorish expression on the level of a common 'blow-hard.' I have recently been using the remote when the Rick Sanchez show aired. Truth is, quality still sells in America - despite the degradation of news to entertainment level, CNN has never exceeded the quality of Campbell Brown as a host. Brown was in the tradition of classical television journalism on the level of Chet Huntley, David Brinkley, Howard K. Smith and Walter Cronkite and other leaders known for intelligent and objective reporting of the news as well as effective and insightful interviews. The goals of CNN became questionable to me when Brown's program was restricted and discouraged.
    BRING BACK CAMPBELL BROWN!

October 2, 2010 at 12:08 pm |
  2. Lisa

I started watching CNN after Katrina, and I have (had it on my television all day long, I am truly disappointed in CNN for doing this, Rick has his right to "freedom of speech" so, good luck with your rating's lol, you will need all the luck you can get now, I say good riddance, I will find another news station that is not in any way affiliated with the "Bigots" at CNN!!!!!!!!!!! oh yeah lose my email, and quit sending me alerts, ironic, this is how I found about the treatment of Rick, you jerks emailed it to me, lose it, I will move it to "spam" if I receive anymore of your B.S. Lisa

October 2, 2010 at 11:33 am |
  3. David

Poor maagement at CNN. Could have worked it out.
    Thinking it over, CNN probably had it pre-planned – to get Rick out.
    Could make an interesting legal case but CNN has this covered off too.

October 2, 2010 at 11:10 am |
  4. Curtis LeMay

So that makes two CNN on-air bigshots fired within the last 90 days for hate filled anti-Jewish comments.

It was only a few weeks ago in July when Octavia Nasr was canned for expressing her love for the leader of Hizbullah, and now Sanchez...

I wonder how many more Jew-haters/admirer of terrorists there still are within the ranks of CNN?

October 2, 2010 at 11:07 am |
  5. Katrina

CNN you overdid it this time. When you hired Eliot Spitzer i was annoyed but NOWyou fire Rick Sanchez? I'm through watching CNN! Rick's show was right there with AC360. He was a great host!! BOOOO CNN YOUR BOSS SUCKS!!!!!!!!!

October 2, 2010 at 10:59 am |
  6. elenore

More reason to hate CNN.CNN sucks you go out of your way to silence any one who objects your political ideas no better than FOX.CNN also uses racial divide to score ratings.Jon Stewart is a liberal Democrat he helping the Democrats right now and no he does condemn Israel ever even though they are miss treating not only Muslims but also Christians in Israel.look it up Christians who have lived years in Israel are increasingly leaving or being abused by Israel.CNN,MSNBC,and FOX never report about it or the vast amount of money that Israel,Egypt,etc..Receive because of the whole Israel Issue.The fact is Israel has continued to increase it's land holdings and push out Muslims and Christians from what is their homeland as well.I mean Rahm Emanuel even volunteered to serve Israel military a foreign military,should someone who has a loyalty to a foreign Nation be making important decisions on behalf of the U.S. I am glad he's leaving the White House.Foreign agents shouldn't be in our government.And the Jewish defamation go way to far even complaining about Pillsbury picture of the dough boy in the oven.We can't talk about anything in this country with out hearing from Holocaust survivors.And you know what I am part German and I do get tired of Nazi jokes about toward my ancestry.My family left Russia because of the Czar treatment of Germans in Russia before WW1,and yes even Stalin killed and removed many Germans in Russia .They were persecuted.Parts of my family ended up in Gulags and murdered by both the Czar and Stalin.Germans including the Mennonites in this country did much to end slavery.German who live in States like Michigan,Ohio,Pennsylvania,the Great Lakes Region in general where Germans are the majority and pushed to end slavery with the forming of the GOP.Every one in this country has ancestors who were mistreated,nor matter what the race.And this racial fighting by political parties to divide the middle class and poor is getting really old.And the Media and Comedians who can't be funny without racial stereotypes is also getting old.

October 2, 2010 at 10:58 am |
  7. joe

Good riddance to Rick Sanchez and Lou Dobbs. I stopped watching CNN and moved over to FOX because of those 2 clowns. However I do agree with what he says, Jews are not an oppressed minority – they are WHITE. For jews to try to claim they are a minority and have experienced racism is an insult to REAL minorities.

October 2, 2010 at 10:52 am |
  8. Carmen

I can't believe CNN fired Rick! I hate CNN for doing that. I am going to boycott CNN. Worst of all i cant believe they hired Eliot Spitzer?? what is up with that? Whoever is running CNN is an idiot. I wish you the best Rick! If you start up a new show with another network i will watch it. =*(

October 2, 2010 at 10:51 am |
  9. Jess

wait a minute.. Glenn Beck called Obama a racist and he gets to keep his show??
    what's up with that?

October 2, 2010 at 10:48 am |
  10. Jess

Rick was saying that Jewish people (at least in America) are not discriminated in color, race- -etc NOW. They are viewed as an affluent white community now. He probably feels Latinos get discriminated , but not Jewish people– who are running the powerful circles at times (and good for them).

well, knowing the history of Jewish and their struggles, it was insensitive at best– but it does not seem to be a target hate or bias against Jewish people. you want to see a hateful comment.?. go see Joel Stein's TIME parady when he made fun of Indians (making in fact fun of racists), My Little India– ironically written by someone Jewish.

let's see intent. what was their INTENT. Did Mr. Sanchez hate Jewish people.. or he views them as elites? think it's the latter..

October 2, 2010 at 10:46 am |
  11. Cynthia

Maybe CNN and FOX should actually try hiring real JOURNALISTS. A professional journalist would know the public is not served by their OPINIONS and they should not reveal their own bias on their programs or those of others. But instead Fox and CNN hire news "actors" who see themselves as celebrities. If Rick wanted to make a point about who runs the media he should have done the work to produce a fact-based investigative piece instead of spouting his off-the-cuff opinion about his employer. Unfortunately, CNN will just get another cute news actor (no doubt Hispanic to prove they're not racist) and never bother to reconsider how they've let down America by not hiring real journalists with a passion for truth who leave their opinions at home so as not to violate the public's trust. Where can we find true journalism these days?

October 2, 2010 at 10:41 am |
  12. Julien

Shame on you CNN for being biased and not for freedom of speech. Are you going the way that Fox is going? Rick Sanchez is a good reporter with valid points. It is your loss as he will find something better at a different network.

Shame on you CNN. This was not warrented.

October 2, 2010 at 10:14 am |
  13. Nelson

RS was and still is the most USELESS S.O.B. I've ever seen on TV. I cannot even begin to understand how he got that show.
    Good job CNN! I only wish you could have done it sooner. By swiping his ass out of CNN, you got rid of an arrogant, useless individual who was so full of himself and nothing else. I hope he never goes back on the air.

October 2, 2010 at 10:00 am |
  14. Bart

Why CNN is afraid of hte fact? The media, the financial market, even our gov't are controlled or influenced by Jews. That's the fact. Thanks to Rick Sanchez for speaking the truth. Wish him the best.

October 2, 2010 at 9:53 am |
  15. ElLatino

We still have Sonia Sotomayor

October 2, 2010 at 9:34 am |
  16. Bryan

The number of "Jewish shout-outs" in our media is ridiculous... The percentage of Jews in this country is hovering around 3%....Wow... I think they are doing a poor job at concealing control over OUR media.

October 2, 2010 at 9:19 am |
  17. Bryan

It's been 23 minutes and the censors at CNN can't decide if they'll post my comment... Way to go!

October 2, 2010 at 9:04 am |
  18. Rollie

Frank are you Roman Catholic or Protestant or Spanish or what?

October 2, 2010 at 9:01 am |
    • Frank

I'm a Catholic boy. And I'm not Latino.

October 2, 2010 at 5:28 pm |
  19. Rollie

Mariel...why don't you learn English...you sound like a dope...

October 2, 2010 at 9:01 am |
  20. Bryan

why is my comment waiting so long for approval? What, you don't like what I had to say?

October 2, 2010 at 8:59 am |