home
RSS
October 1st, 2010

Your comments on religious knowledge quiz

There's a torrent of comments on our story this week about most Americans scoring 50 percent or less on a Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life quiz measuring knowledge of the Bible, world religions and what the Constitution says about religion.

(If you haven't yet taken our quiz, which includes 10 questions from the Pew study, you really should.)

Brian theorizes on why those with no religion outperformed religious Americans on the quiz:

Religion is the tool used by the few to control the uneducated.

This is why I am not surprised by this finding and why I, an agnostic, got 8 out of 10 on the CNN quiz. Faith unfortunately has come to mean "blindly follow what someone else tells you."

Wzrd1 claims to have learned quite a lot about religion in school - public school:

When I was in the public school system, we DID have comparative religion taught in our cultures class. It served me VERY well during my military related deployments over the years, as a nice and comfortable stepping stone when dealing with a local populace in a foreign land.

Of course, THESE days, school districts fear introducing such things, lest they find themselves in court.

And chellekd grew up in a theologically conservative Christian home in which she learned plenty about other faiths:

I got 9 out of 10 right. Not bad for someone who came from a WV Pentecostal background. With that being said I'm glad that my minister Dad always taught me to be open and tolerant to other faiths even if I didn't believe in them. I learned things from him outside of the Bible which gave me an appreciation for everyone's beliefs. Now if you'll excuse me I need to go learn more about Ramadan.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Catholic Church • Christianity • Islam • Mormonism • Polls

1. Faith

Thank you very much for your very kind words! I agree with you about the bible and interpetations of same. Plus, we don't know as the bible was transcribed, what was left out, or added to, just as you say. And yes, there are alot of very rude Christians. I don't attend church because I find organized religion to be very distasteful. I go directly to God, and ask him to show me things I don't understand. I do not trust fully in man, cause as you said, 10 different preachers can give 10 different meanings. At least this way I can know its between me and the Lord, whatever the issue.
    It saddens me that people aren't living thier lives more like God wants us to, and let them see him in us. Because it is about him, and not about us.
    I appreciate your response, and again, wish you all the best for you and your family. It has been a pleasure talking with you!

October 8, 2010 at 11:16 pm |
  2. Faith

Lt. Dan,
    Last question first...ABSOLUTELY NOT! I detest those people, they are NOT Christians, but using that front to spread thier hate. I do hope justice is served against them, they should be ashamed of thier selves, and if they don't like tis country, they can get out of it. I am a Christian, but have to admit, I find myself thinking that I would like to punch Margie Phelps in the mouth! I know I should not feel that way, but I am human.
    Next, my post up above was directed at NL, as him and I were discussing some things. I am very sorry to hear that you were not able to feel the presence of the Lord, please don't stop trying.Thats not true that you were being led astray by the Devil, and people should not say things like that, again look how that may discourage a person! I am grieved that you suffered at the hands of what sounds like some over zealous "Christians"!
    I am very sorry to hear about your nephew, that must have been an awful thing to have to deal with. I do not like when people say things are God's will, when they don't really know. I agree with you totally, I do not think that was Gods will at all. Why in the world would God want to see planes flown into a building thats going to kill innocent people?! I can't even imagine what would cause someone to think that way.
    Lt Dan, I will not judge you, I am not God. I don't know who is and isn't going to Hell or Heaven. that is not my job to judge.
    You said you are living a good honest life, that is good. You sound like a good person. I pray you peace and good wishes in your life

October 7, 2010 at 8:18 pm |
    • Lt. Dan

Well Faith, I must admit that you are one of the most civil christians that I have ever had a chance to chat with. I do appreciate your thoughts and your responses to my posts and the posts of others. I honestly hope that everyone finds meaning in their life. I can tell from your posts that you do believe in the bible and that you do practice what you preach. I am sure that you would also admit that many of your flock don't. There are so many different interpretations of the bible, and so many different denominations that it seems so incredibly abstract. The language of the bible is transcribed and I am sure that much of it was lost in translation. It leaves so much up for interpretation. If you were to give 10 preachers the same passage in the bible I would bet you have 10 different explanations. Does God really hate gay people. some say yes, some say no. How are the mormons able to twist multiple wives out of the deal. I really think that just like a Bob Dylan song, the bible could be made to say what ever you want it to. So thanks for your thoughts and your civility. You are few and far between. Most Christians ( dare I say all of them before I met you) are condesending, rude, ignorant and judgemental. When challanged they are unable to argue their way out of a paper bag let alone adequatly express themselves and their believes. So keep doing what your doing and keep the dialogue open.

October 8, 2010 at 6:44 pm |
  3. Lt. Dan

Faith, please stop it. We get it. You Be-l-ie-ve in G-O-D. Quoting scripture does nothing for your cause. Holding up a bible and saying "see it says right here, NANY NANY BOO BOO" means nothing to an aethist whom does not believe in ghouls, goblins, angels, demons, devils, ghosts etc etc. I was told that god would reveal himself to me. He never did. I wanted him to, but he didn't. My youth pastor told me that things were signs of god all the time, but I never saw it that way. We climbed to the top of a small mountain in NC on a retreat when I was young. When we reached the top we were told the sunset was a sign from GOD that we can accomplish anything. Uhhh, OK. When my nephew suffered brain damage because he was stuck in traffic durring his birth, in DC during 9-11 I was told by some religous friends that it was gods will. HOW is that Gods will that some nut jobs that beileve in Allah flew some planes into the pentagon and the twin towers. To me it seemed like some others beleif in THEIR God is what caused this, not my Gods will. All of it was so very abstract, and never made sense to me. I never saw a sign that I could tell was taylored just for me. I never saw any CON-FIR-MATION. I was told by the religous that they felt sorry for me. They told me that I was being led astray by the Devil. And like every other religous person out there , when I asked for specifics and for them to ellaborate they could'nt do so in any cohesive way. So there is no doubt in my mind that you are able to find meaning from it all and that you really believe. So good for you. All I know is that I live a good honest life. I am married and have never strayed. I work hard to take care of my children. I donate time monthly to charity and what money I can to 3 different charities. I am good to my neighbors. All the things that being a good christian means, but I just believe in ghosts, and angels and goblins and gods and demons. And yes I allready know what you are going to say faith because many like you have allready told me . . . . . . . I am going to hell , blahh blahh. I have been told that my Jewish friends are going to hell too. So save your breath. If your God would send me to Hell for being a great, caring , giving human than so be it. I already know it is all hocus pocus, but if it will make you feel better about yourself to condem me to hell than go ahead. Live and Let live. It is when people put their beliefs before humanity is when I have a problem. Go ahead and believe whatever you want just don't hurt or interfere with someone else. These radical islamists and these Westboro baptists freeks that crash soldiers funerals and say " Thank GOD for Dead Soldiers" is when I get really upset. So FAITH, are you one of these Westboro Baptists, or do you not believe in their interpretation of the bible. I want to see your reply

October 7, 2010 at 6:38 pm |
  4. Faith

Last Post Continued

4 That whole "Once Saved, always Saved" thing.
    I believe once God has saved us, we are alwys saved. He said:

There is no man, no power, no devil, no violent temptation
    —which shall ever be able to overturn those whom God has
    chosen. "My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and
    they follow Me. I give them eternal life, and they shall
    never perish; no one can s-n-a-t-c-h them out of My hand.
    My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all;
    no one can s-n-a-t-ch them out of My Father's hand."

October 5, 2010 at 8:34 pm |
  5. Faith

Next Post...Continued

3 Again, there sure seems like there is a lot of back-slidding going on, something that shouldn't occur after people have actually been touched by the Spirit, right?

No, we are still sinners, and even though we are folowing the Lord, we will still have weak moments. Thing is, we will with the help of the Holy Spirit, realize that we are wrong, ask forgiveness, and ask him to help us not to repeat the sin, with an honest heart. He gives us guidance. Its conviction. Like say in example, I am tired and grumpy one day, and I get mad at my husband because he is watching the football game, and I think he should be helping me weed the garden,lol. So, I yell and cuss at him and try to make him feel bad, because he isn't.

Ok, so I had a weak moment, let it get the best of me. I realize I am wrong, and just acted in a very un Ch-r-i-s-t like way. I go back and tell my husband I am really sorry, and ask him to forgive me for what I said and did. Then, I ask God to forgive me, and remind myself, I am to NOT act like that. I actually would feel bad for the way I acted.

Next time I get a weak moment, I am reminded of that last thing, and I handle my fustration differently. Perhaps I will take a break from the garden, and have a cold drink, Count to ten,lol. Then, think how lucky I am to have a Garden, and that I am healthy enuff to do the weeding. Thats called counting your blessings.

Having the Holy Spirit working in my life, changes the way I handle things. Before I came to the Lord, I was full of sin and would have acted badly more then once, I would have felt just-i-fied in my selfishness, and would have not felt any remorse at all. Now that I have put to death my old sin nature, by the grace of God, I will become more Ch-r-i-st like in my ways and in my
    whole being.
    To sum that up, God knows we are human and we live in a world that is full of sin. All he wants is for us to turn away from our old natures, and walk in his way. I know I am cleansed and forgiven, but I must still follow Jesus and not my old ways,

October 5, 2010 at 8:32 pm |
  6. Faith

Next post...Continued

The last of your posts, you say:

It is not a psychosis. The Holy Spirit is real, and he is wonderful, working in our lives and revealing things to us at all times, and renewing our whole selves. He is a wonderful comforter.

You said:

1 ...but can you claim that the Holy Spirit is real for non-Christians as well?

Yes. The Holy Spirit will come to you, if you accept Jesus as your personal savior, confess and are sorry for your sins, are Baptised, and live your life doing as Jesus tells us to.

2You can say that millions of fellow Christians also believe that they were touched by the Spirit, but can you prove that they actually were?

Sure, Read this, and take note of the last line, in particular

The Spirit is not the Father and is not the Son, but distinct from both. He is intelligent, has a will, power and wisdom that He acts upon. Jesus said He would send another Comforter, which, if Ch–r-i-st is the first C-o-m-forter than that statement alone demonstrates the personality of mind, will and affections of another Comforter. If the Spirit is denied as a person from that text (John 14:16-17), “And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever "the Spirit of truth,” then one must also deny the personality of the C-h-r-i-st, which is impossible.

In other words, in one accord.
    Read more here:

October 5, 2010 at 8:26 pm |
  7. Faith

I moderated, so I am going to have to post in parts,

Hi NL
    I had more time today then I thought I would, so I did reasearch as I said I would. I am glad I did this, as it only confirms that my God is the real one, not that I ever doubted it.. The rest are bogus, when it comes to the things I mentioned above.
    This is a long read, but I am sure this will educate you more about these "gods and thier miracles and so called similarities".

None of the so-called savior-gods died for someone else, in their place (subst-i-t-ution). The notion of the Son of God fully dying in place of His creatures is unique to Christianity.
    Only Jesus died purposefully for sin. As Gunter Wagner observes, to none of the pagan gods "has the intention of helping men been attributed. The sort of death that they died is quite different (hunting accident, self-em-a-s-culation, etc.)." [cited in Nash]
    Unlike the mystery gods, Jesus died voluntarily. Nothing like this appears even implicitly in the mysteries. [The closest is the self-c-a-s-tr-ation of At-tis, but this is generally attributed to his insanity, not to a free-and-clear choice.]

Here is the link:

October 5, 2010 at 8:22 pm |
  8. Linda Lorah

i'd love to take all 32, just out of curiousity. I did get 15 out of 15, but am not sure I'd do as well with additional questions. Would like to try. I think one's understanding also depends on the brand of religion one practices. I would say I am a progressive Christians, and am friends with progressive Jews and progressive Muslims. Maybe education is the key after all.

October 5, 2010 at 5:35 pm |
  9. Faith

Nl I have a question? I notice sometimes when I post, that Tweet thing up top on the left will change numbers? Do you know what thats about,lol? I don't tweet, so I have not a clue? 🙂

October 5, 2010 at 1:38 pm |
  10. Faith

Hi NL
    You said:

I have a pretty good perspective on Christianity. But, I will take your advice, and I will look into this as you suggested. It may take me some time, as my home scdedule is busy at the moment/. But, when I am finished, I will come find you, and pick up here where we left off. 🙂

You said:
    Jesus is an example of what we call a resurrection deity. There have been dozens of them and they all do a similar thing in being reborn. Osiris, Dionysus, Tammuz, Zalmoxis, Melqart, as well as Ishtar, and Persephone also did this. It's really not original at all, and there are amazing things that other gods did that Jesus and God did not. You might want to also research Mithras and compare this with the Jesus story.

Quick question> What do you mean by being reborn? Did they die and come back to life in the flesh, as Jesus did? Ok, Ill look into it too, when I do the above ones.

The very last of your posts, I will address tonight, as soon as time permits me. It may be later in the vening, but I will respond. Thanks for your responses!

October 5, 2010 at 1:36 pm |
  11. NL

Faith-
    You said "The Holy Spirit is real. There would be no imagination regarding him. You would certainly know for sure it is NOT your imagination.
When you fell in love with your wife/husband, (if you have one), you knew that this was real, and different from any feelings you ever had before. Your proof is that this is the one thats different from all the rest, and the one you want to spend the rest of your days with. Thats about the best analogy I can give you.
    Hope that answers some of your questions."

But, again, how can you know it is not your imagination? If I say that I can see a bright light every so often that nobody else can see, and a medical exam cannot detect any physical cause for this, wouldn't the next step be to send me to a psychologist? Belief in the Holy Spirit is just a socially accepted form of psychosis, it seems.

I think that plenty of people would argue that they've been in love more than once, and that the feeling is similar each time. I have a wife that I love, but the difference is that everyone knows that she is real. All I have to do is point to her. Even complete strangers and people who don't believe in marriage can still see that she is real and accept by proof that she is my wife. I'm sure that if you isolate yourself amongst born agains it's easy to imagine that the Spirit is obvious to everyone, but can you claim that the Holy Spirit is real for non-Christians as well? You can say that millions of fellow Christians also believe that they were touched by the Spirit, but can you prove that they actually were? Again, there sure seems like there is a lot of back-slidding going on, something that shouldn't occur after people have actually been touched by the Spirit, right? That whole "Once Saved, always Saved" thing.

October 5, 2010 at 11:48 am |
  12. NL

Faith-
    You said "You will know you have the Holy Spirit. If you would get saved, then you would be baptised afterwards, The Holy Spirit will work in your life, and you will know it. There would be no question in your mind, as to wether he is there. He will begin working in your life, right away. He would not hesitate."

I'm sure that there was no question in the minds of the followers of any of the mythic gods either, just as there is no question in the minds of modern day Muslims and Hindus, right? You're really just avoiding the question. How can anyone really know that they have been touched by the Holy Spirit when you know that people can delude themselves into believing almost anything. People will sometimes believe what they want to believe just because it's attractive. Why else would millions of women make themselves believe that their abusive husbands actually love them? I'm sure that plenty of them have no question of that in their minds either.

Where does it say that the Holy Spirit works in someone's life right away? Amongst my born again friends and family there is much talk about when their children choose to accept Jesus as their personal savior. They compare ages for this like parents compare ages for walking and talking. Would I be wrong in assuming that some of these kids are expected, encouraged and even pressured into becoming a Christian at such an early age? If a child is pushed by their parents into taking this step too early wouldn't the Spirit be justified in waiting to present itself to them until later, when they are more prepared? Same for adults. How many stories have you heard of adults 'backsliding' several time before the Spirit finally takes hold? The Spirit must not have been there right away in the first place for this to have happened, right? For the system to work then I think that you have to allow the Spirit to choose its own time to act, right?

October 5, 2010 at 11:47 am |
  13. NL

Faith-
    You said "For me no, because Thor, Baal and Zeus, did not do anything to save mankind. We are told to watch out for "signs" they can be ms leading. To me, they are not really any actual figure, but ones created by people."

It is predicted that Thor will battle a great snake and ultimately save the world in the Völuspá, so don't discount what other gods are thought to have done, or will do for humanity. In the Greek tradition it is the demigods like Heracles and Achillies who are the heros who wrestle favors for mankind from the gods. Jesus does the same thing, right? You really should read some of their myths as well to get a better perspective on Christianity as a religion.

Sure we now think that these other gods were just inventions, and you don't believe that any of these other gods were ever real, but with gods having that kind of track record how can you just assume that your god is the one in a million exception? As we atheists like to say, Christians are actually about 99.9999% atheists too.

October 5, 2010 at 11:46 am |
  14. Faith

Nl
    Can this 'spirit' DO things? If it can DO something, then we should be able to find evidence for it, right? All we ask as skeptics is for a valid argument as to why God is any different than all of the other, mythical gods that we had throughout the ages?

Thats how I know my God is different.

Hope that answers some of your questions.

October 5, 2010 at 7:41 am |
    • NL

Faith-
      You said "Did any other God you are aware of, die on a cross, and arise 3 days later? And, it was predicted before hand this would happen? I think your answer will be no.
Thats how I know my God is different."

October 5, 2010 at 11:45 am |
  15. NL

Faith-
    By your method, if someone makes the decision to accept Jesus then you would expect the Holy Spirit to 'prove' himself to them, correct? What if He doesn't prove himself to them right away? It would be natural for someone to begin to feel some anxiety over over this and, as time goes on, perhaps they would be more willing to define anything as this expected proof, right? So, my question to you is, how does any Christian know for certain that what they accept as the Holy Spirit's proof to them is not just a work of their imagination impatiently expecting a proof soon after accepting Jesus?

October 4, 2010 at 10:05 am |
  16. NL

Faith-
    You said "One cannot "prove" a spirit, that is why the statement "prove your God" is so ridiculous. It is by Faith you accept Jesus, and the holy spirit will "prove" himself to you."

You say we need faith, but would having faith in Thor, or Baal, or Zeus make them real, like you believe God is real? Would you accept the same claim being made for another god, that someone had faith in their being real, and that god sent a sign proving his or her existence?

October 3, 2010 at 11:14 pm |
  17. Faith

Faith ?????

Faith, I mean come on, . .really. I would bet the farm that if you happened to be born in the middle east you would be a Muslim. You would see Allah in your coffee and on your ride to work on a camel. The reason the religous use that line of dribble is because it cannot be proven, shared or quantified, so it can't not be disputed. People want to elevate themselves and feel a part of the divine. Trust me when I say I really wish some religions were true. I wish there was an almighty force that dishes out justice and rewards the faithful. But there is NOT> There is no justice in this world. If God was all powerful then why is there evil. Why would he allow it? He must not be all powerfull then. Or some Chritian appologists would say that God created our world and made us to have free will. Why would he do that knowing that wars would ensue, children would die from disease, famine, and genecide. I tried to be a good Christian at one time. I really tried, but I did not believe the people flaping on the ground speaking in tongues, or the faith healers laying on hands, etc

There is justice and God IS. Do you not believe you reap what you sow?

Now the one who receives instruction in the word must share all good things with the one who teaches it. Do not be deceived. God will not be made a fool. For a person will reap what he sows, because the person who sows to his own flesh will reap corruption from the flesh, but the one who sows to the Spirit will reap eternal life from the Spirit. So we must not grow weary in doing good, for in due time we will reap, if we do not give up. (Galatians 6:6-18).

There is evil because there is SIN in the world. Most people turn away from God, and do the evil within themselves. They do not have the Holy Spirit in thier lives to help them from doing the very awful things that are in the world. Murder, thievery, etc. They have given themselves over to evil. That simple. We are in the world too, and there are times when Christians also become victims of the evil of others. We are subject to accidents, sickness, etc.
    It rains on the good and bad alike. God says if we stay in him, we will reap good and have eternal life with him, but not in this world, as he says this is NOT his world.
    Satan was kicked out of heaven and one third of the angels went with him (demonic beings, after the fall) He is alive and well and operates in this world. But his days are growing short.

I am sorry you had this unfortunate thing happen. I don't care at all for organized religion. This is what happens to many good Christians such as yourself. I won't join any church, because I can have a personal relationship with God, with no one interferring in it. I understand how you feel.

October 3, 2010 at 6:54 pm |
  18. Faith

NL

If you feel an emotional connection to a piece of art, or a song, or a work of literature should we also assume that these things have 'spirits' that actually reach out to us? Not everything touches us so why not assume that each chooses to or not? Why can't they have individual spirits working just as your God spirit does?

No. I think the paragraph relating to visuals is saying, we don't need material things to help us with our spiritual relation to God.

October 3, 2010 at 6:36 pm |
  19. AZCANAANDOG

I got all 10 questions correct like several others did. It has always been easier for people to blindly be baptised rather than dig into their respective religions. I've seen it in three protestant denominations so far. I hope that people who miss one or more of the questions take it as an indication that they need to rediscover their beliefs and the reasoning behind those beliefs. We're ripe for a new re-awakening of the spirit. St. Augustine, John Calvin, and Marin Luther were profound theologians. We need to reread their books and letters again. Humanism continues to fail us by not focusing on Jesus and God first.

October 3, 2010 at 6:22 pm |
  20. Faith

4TH POST CONTINUED
    It is difficult for us to grasp this truth since our spirits live in physical bodies and our physical bodies inhabit a physical universe. Our occupation with the physical makes us try to put our relationship with God into that same realm. We want to be inspired to worship Him by lavish cathedrals, great art, pleasant sounds, lovely aromas, and beautifully worded li-tu-rgies. Our human natures cry out for religious symbols, images, and pictures to help us create a mood for wors-h-ip. We think we have to be in a church building and follow certain prescribed procedures.
    God says, “You cannot reduce me to physical things that can be experienced with your senses. I dwell in the realm of spirit and that is where I want to meet with you.” Physical things may direct our attention to God, particularly things He has made. But we meet with Him in our spirits. We can enjoy Him riding to work in the car, pushing the va-c–u-u–m cleaner through the living room, walking from one class to another, or anywhere else. We know Him and enjoy Him in the spiritual realm, apart from the physical senses.

October 3, 2010 at 11:19 am |