home
RSS
October 6th, 2010

1. Gary Grassly

That is NOT jesus...it's satan!

October 6, 2010 at 9:30 pm |
    • Kevin

Actually, it's Glen Beck, the anti-christ

October 6, 2010 at 11:54 pm |
  2. BT

The only thing I saw there was some kind of a gargoyle or ghost image. I suppose if we hallucinate long enough we can image just about anything we hope or want to see. If it somehow helps this patient to recover from their serious illness through whatever means of placebo type mind tricks then sure, go for it.

October 6, 2010 at 8:57 pm |
    • NL

Assuming that Jesus doesn't appear on everyone's throat MRI would there happen to be a pathologist reading these posts who could give an opinion on it's being cancer, or not?

October 6, 2010 at 11:31 pm |
  3. NRIGirl

That's so cool! Praise God.

Anybody care to stop by for some Coffee with Jesus?!

~NRIGirl

October 6, 2010 at 8:39 pm |
  4. Tammy

There's a fundamental difference in worldviews between people who believe in God and people who don't. I am a believer. I believe that there is an intelligence beyond my own that is real and active in the life of this world. I believe that God does allow suffering, but does not create it. I believe God walks with me through this life, throught the suffering, and hopefully into the next. I accept my mortality, and my faith leads me to confront it daily in the meditation on the life, death and resurrection of Christ. The awareness of the reality of mortality leads me towards a more compassionate and immediate life, not for the promise of some candy coated heaven, but because the presence of God here and now prods me out of myself and into the reality of an inter-connected web of life, being created and passing away daily, of which I am an integral part. This lady sees something that reminds her of the presence of God with her all the time, even in great suffering. She's not providing it as proof of the existence of God, just a reminder of her belief in her relationship with God. As for the grilled cheese sandwich, God has a sense of humor too.

October 6, 2010 at 8:36 pm |
    • Frank

Great posts. Anything is possible when it comes to God. If He can give some the Stigmata and make statues bleed and weep, why not appear in an MRI or elsewhere? Who knows.

October 6, 2010 at 8:42 pm |
  5. Consuela

Does she have brain cancer?

October 6, 2010 at 8:28 pm |
  6. Frank

If there is a face on there, it's probably a thoughtform manifesting itself. If it gives her comfort, I see nothing wrong with it. Let the woman be.

October 6, 2010 at 8:09 pm |
  7. awasis

Why is this news?

October 6, 2010 at 8:04 pm |
  8. Michael Horn

Logically, what it really means is that...JESUS is the cancer in her throat.

Now how comforting is that? People that think that they have a "personal relationship" with a guy who, if he even lived at al, has been dead for 2,000 years are in need of serious mental help.

Oh wait, they want to run the country, how comforting.

October 6, 2010 at 3:14 pm |
    • peace2all

@Michael Horn

I am with you brother..... "how comforting"...... Quite F*****G scary.....actually.

Peace...

October 6, 2010 at 3:42 pm |
    • Bob

It's a very powerful mental delusion. I mean, if Jesus is looking out for you nothing can go wrong because everything is planned out and in control.

You don't have to face the reality that things happen for no good reason. Randomly.

You don't have to face death.

You don't actually have to fully confront the deaths of loved ones when they die.

Personally, I see it as numbing yourself to your own mental processes. Which explains the typical responses I get from religious people.

October 6, 2010 at 5:42 pm |
    • BitterEnd

@Bob

I totally agree and hereby declare that every day shall have two special "Bob" times – one at 8:08 am and one at 8:08 pm because Bob ROCKS!
      Yeah!
      Go BOB!!!
      😀

October 7, 2010 at 2:06 am |
  9. Doc Vestibule

I once saw Jesus in a patch of mold that had grown on the bottom of my unwashed coffee mug. I erected a shrine to the mug, protrated myself before it, and prayed. The mold spoke directly to me and said to gather my neighbours that they too might worship the Spongiform Saviour and ti-the some small percentage of their incomes to my kitchen, lest God command that his moldy countenance be tossed into the dishwasher.
    It worked for a about a week, but then the mold patch grew and began to more closely resemble Barney the Dinosaur.
    After my flock left to worship the image of Mother Mary as revealed in a slice of Velveeta, I tried bringning in the local toddlers to pay homage to Barney. Turns out 4 year olds don't usually have much cash on them, so I kicked them all out and washed the cup.

October 6, 2010 at 2:48 pm |
  10. Wow.;

It amazes me how stupid people are. Jesus has appeared in a grilled cheese sandwich, a water stain on a ceiling, a dog's butthole, and now an MRI scan?

Grow up.

October 6, 2010 at 1:46 pm |
  11. Ondine

It looks more like an evil cancer demon than Jesus. Take the MRI film to both your doctor and preacher and see what they say. I'm sure you wouldn't want any treatment that would remove Jesus from you.

October 6, 2010 at 1:21 pm |
  12. Bob

When will people wake up and realize this is a natural reaction of the brain, to see patterns and form images. It's just like cloud watching.

October 6, 2010 at 10:27 am |
    • Reality

And star gazing seeing all kinds of gods, animals and birds.

October 6, 2010 at 11:34 am |
  13. Bob

I know that if I was a being with infinite power and infinite knowledge, I'd want to show myself as an obscured, easily misinterpreted image in an MRI. I mean, it makes total sense.

That or a grilled cheese. Cause I love grilled cheese.

October 6, 2010 at 10:25 am |
  14. Reality

My MRI scans were significantly more powerful as the scans showed visions of Satan, the BV, Gabriel, Moroni, Michael the A, Abraham, Moses, Mohammed with the final one being the Angel of Death. Darn!!!

October 6, 2010 at 10:21 am |
  15. VABaptist

No, you didn't. You saw an image that you think is Jesus because you're more familiar with Catholic images of "Jesus" than you are with your Bible.

October 6, 2010 at 10:15 am |
  16. Doug

Or we quite possibly have finally found Jimmy Hoffa

October 6, 2010 at 9:15 am |
  17. Frogist

Jesus gives you cancer? What now?
    I can understand the desperation some people have when they are faced with their own mortality. I can understand reaching out to anything that can give them hope. So while it's ridiculous to me, and to anyone from the outside looking in... it was probably a moment of great relief for this person. So unless they take it as a cause for oppressing someone else, or a reason not to get treatment, or other nefarious purposes, I really don't have much of a problem with it.

October 6, 2010 at 9:06 am |
    • NL

Ah Faith, it's a source of joy when things work out for the best and it's a comfort when they don't. Kinda like alcohol.

October 6, 2010 at 9:55 am |
    • peace2all

@NL

Very nice... !

Peace...

October 6, 2010 at 3:20 pm |
    • NL

peace2all-

Thanks!
      I guess this would be an example of people who, when they are expecting signs, sure that they will experience them in fact, will eventually find what they are looking for. I think of born agains when I consider this, but seeing Jesus' image on sundry items has usually been a Catholic obsession. Any ideas what this lady's faith is?

October 6, 2010 at 4:31 pm |
    • Louise Dotter

So what is wrong with "not seeking treatment". I've got cancer and I'm not seeking "treatment" of ANY kind. (OK – that's a lie, my drugs of choice are nicotine, caffine, and gin.) There are many reasons "not to seek treatment" and none of them have to do with some dilusional cancer patient's MRI. Pre-existing conditions, age, life situation, financial concerns, and/or disgust with the existing social (dis)order are all valid reasons to reject becoming another "cog in the wheel" of the medical/pharmaceutical complex.

October 7, 2010 at 4:48 pm |
  18. NL

I'm not clear on this, but if normal MRI scans don't normally show 'Jesus' then wouldn't this image indicate something abnormal, like a cancerous growth? That's why she was being scanned anyway, right, to look for cancer. I hope for her sake that 'Jesus' is something benign.

I'd also be a lot less skeptical if she had been interviewed before she saw the scan. Now she sounds like some Old Testament prophet saying that she knew something was going to happen before it did, but we really can't tell if she is now exaggerating her typical feeling of Jesus' presence into something extra because she thinks she sees a sign afterwards.

October 6, 2010 at 8:33 am |
  19. adamson

People that really think that they see figures of their faith in everyday items make such a mockery out of religious beliefs. It's really upsetting for those of us that are common-sense religious people.

October 6, 2010 at 8:18 am |
    • Skeptical Analysis

Oxymoron: "common-sense religious people"

How does belief in a magical sky daddy equate with common sense?

October 6, 2010 at 11:17 am |
    • Colin

Faith in a mythical figure that is omnipotent and omniscient yet cannot stop earthquakes and the raping of children is nonsense. "common sense religious people" is an oxymoron, or a self-contradiction.

October 6, 2010 at 11:48 am |
    • NL

Colin-
      "Rational believers in the supernatural" I think is how some Christians view themselves.

October 6, 2010 at 4:35 pm |
    • BitterEnd

@NL

"how they view themselves" is a big part of their irrational outlook on life.

Does it really matter how they "view themselves" if they do it in an irrational manner? The "supernatural" is by definition unprovable and having no substance upon which to form a rational "belief" – so why should we let them lead us around by the nose with their silly and meaningless labels that have no basis in reality?

October 7, 2010 at 1:59 am |
    • NL

BitterEnd-
      Ah, but they don't equate the unseen things they believe in with the rest of the unseen things we call supernatural.
      Still, the Holy Spirit is a ghost and they claim to speak to Jesus, who is dead, so I would classify these beliefs as supernatural.

October 7, 2010 at 10:19 am |
  20. janet walsh

Looks more like Gloria Swanson "I'm ready for my close-up"! Wow, Jesus sure is busy – he's in an MRI, in a cheese sandwich, in the ivy on a tree, etc. Sure gives new meaning to "have you found Jesus?"

October 6, 2010 at 8:05 am |
    • Reg

Anyone else notice that fox-like or dog-like face on the right side of the image? It jumped out to me before the human-like face on the left. And why does the guy on the left have what seems to be a small dust broom hanging from his face?

October 6, 2010 at 8:32 pm |