home
RSS
October 9th, 2010

Woman charged for destroying controversial Jesus art in Colorado

Editor's note: A lawyer for Kathy Folden, who was charged Wednesday by Loveland, Colorado police with criminal mischief - a felony - said she will plead not guilty.

“Kathy is an ordinary American with some sincerely held religious beliefs, and like a lot of Americans and a lot of people in Colorado she was pretty upset by some of the displays at a city-owned museum,” one of her attorneys, Cliff Stricklin, told CNN Friday.

“The real issue is the city of Loveland, which is not supposed to be endorsing or belittling religion,” he said. “They specifically endorsed a piece that belittled Jesus Christ.”

Striklin said that Folden will challenge the charge on the basis that a felony is supposed to involve destruction of more than $1,000 worth of property. “There’ no way the state can prove that this piece was worth over $1,000,” Stricklin said.

Folden, 56, of Kalispell, Montana, was released from jail Thursday on $350 bail. Striklin said that this weekend she will return home, where the mother and grandmother works as a long-haul trucker.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Art • Colorado • Jesus • United States

1. mightyfudge

She's clearly uneducated and of questionable genetics. Dumb people hate what they can't understand, and they will never understand Art. Ironically, Jesus would've condemned the actions put forth in his name by this quasi-follower of his teachings. But don't bother trying to punish her. I doubt she's capable of understanding what she's done wrong.

October 10, 2010 at 12:51 pm |
  2. Petel2

Nothing compared to what the Catholic church destroyed. We should take over the vatican and make it a free world library, after we dig up what they have hidden to preserve their manipulations.

October 10, 2010 at 12:50 pm |
  3. QOTU

Typical religious kook. If you can't make your argument logically, destroy something. If she wants to destroy religious artwork, how about starting with the various classical pieces that don't agree with her belief..maybe the Pieta?

October 10, 2010 at 12:48 pm |
  4. 37wld

If religion (not to be confused with spirituality) is the opiate of the masses, this nutball needs to be in a 12-step program.
    Absolutely nothing in the recorded history of man can be held responsible for more evil or stupidity than organized religion. Religion breeds zealotry like no other human endeavor, religion by whatever name.
    Wake up and smell the coffee (or something).
    Jesus was a devout, conservative Rabbi who ran afoul of his own "religion" and was killed for it. His message was one of the apocolypse. He believed in an apocolypse in his own time. He believed the apocolypse would consume the world then – while he lived, and that he would show his disciples the way to right hand of God – then.
    Well, it seems he was wrong about that. What else could His followers have wrong?
    What else could the followers of any/all religions have wrong?
    Perhaps the one thing that followers of all religions have in common is that they are all wandering in the wilderness.

October 10, 2010 at 12:44 pm |
  5. sikandr

what amusing posts. followed it since yesterday pm

October 10, 2010 at 12:39 pm |
  6. herrsonic

It's ok to let people suffer or cause suffering to others.
    It's not ok to offend one's belief.
    Both of these ideas are not mutually exclusive.

October 10, 2010 at 12:37 pm |
    • Kate

@herrsonic

So what you're saying is that it's OK to let people suffer by offending their beliefs by letting people suffer?

Or should we just let them suffer the offending of their beliefs by their suffering?

Maybe we should believe their suffering is offensive to their belief in suffering and make them suffer more?

Sufferin' succotash!

Just sayin'

October 10, 2010 at 12:47 pm |
  7. Speechless...not-really

Ahahahaaaa... It cracks me up that this is even a discussion in 2010. This woman destroyed property and deserves to be locked up and forced to pay retail value for it instead of being martyred or her actions justified. Isn't this the same thing we are concerned about the Muslims doing? Albeit a much smaller scale; but how long before she is flying a plane into an abortion clinic? 12 years of Catholic school taught me an awful lot of Jesus "Turning the other cheek" and preaching temperance. Did you people skip over that part of the bible? This is art. There are many exhibits I wouldn't put in my house but it doesn't mean I should destroy it so no-one else can make there own judgement. Any extremist of any religion is a very dangerous styfling mind and unfortunately, they also vote my country's leader into office. We don't want to scramble a few unwanted cells(for stem-cell research) in a more than willing woman's uterus to save the wanted 12 year old child dying of leukemia. It's comical.

October 10, 2010 at 12:26 pm |
  8. Kansas

I've seen the entire artwork uncensored and it's truely disgusting. Obviously the artist was going for shock value on this one. With that said, what I find the most interesting is in frame ten there is a picture of Mohammad kneeling before two dancing pigs in binki's and NO ONE is talking about that. For the record I disagree with the artwork being destroyed.

October 10, 2010 at 12:21 pm |
  9. flavadave

So, the media is going to tell the islamic extremists the same thing right? CNN, you're gonna tell them to chill out, right? You're gonna say we should all get along and that acting out is not the answer and that those that do so are bad like you just did with this woman.....right?...........Nope? I thought so.

October 10, 2010 at 12:17 pm |
  10. Frankie

Small minded people. That's what any religious zealots are. Preaching to the choir. They (and I mean zealots of all religions) are so embedded in the infallability of their own beliefs, they don't consider any other view. They don't want to hear it. Won't consider it. The worst one, though, is "because the Bible tells me so." What an excuse to remain ignorant! Why argue with them? The proverbial brick wall. I used to be a Christian. The more involved I got, the more I realized these people were so small minded. I started to become embarrassed to admit I was a Christian. Now I have beliefs, but I think I'm more of a Deist. I certainly don't consider myself a Christian anymore. I praise the Lord for that (he said facitiously).

October 10, 2010 at 12:16 pm |
  11. LS

I remember some other religious zealots that felt the twin towers were a symbol of offense to their religion.

October 10, 2010 at 12:15 pm |
  12. Annexian

Could they at least SHOW the image?
    Or is it too obscene for publication?

I have big issues with Christianity and those that follow it. But, even though I have issues with those that claim to be the eyes, ears...and 'other' parts of his anatomy, I still do like Jesus.

And, IMO, if it was an insult of Mohammed the museam wouldn't show it for fear of a violent action that went beyond simple property destruction... Bawk Bawk Bawk - Chickens.

October 10, 2010 at 12:11 pm |
  13. Leslie

She should just claim that she was engaging in performance art and that it is protected by the 1st amendment.

October 10, 2010 at 12:07 pm |
    • Raider

Breaking the law isn't protected by the first amendment, try again, but add some thought this time.

October 10, 2010 at 5:40 pm |
  14. Jebus

How about this... in response to this hate crime, atheists and agnostics start wandering into churches, in broad daylight, and destroying any statues, pictures, or other art depicting scenes of christian mythology. We will say that not only our sense of aesthetics was offended (I guarantee you, whatever it is, it will be cheesy and lame, it's in a church), but that we are against VISUAL SUPPORT OF 2000 YEAR OLD LIES AND FAIRYTALES. Get your magic imaginary buddy to stop that, or get him to make up a better story.
    The leading cause of Satanism is christianity!

October 10, 2010 at 12:07 pm |
    • Raider

Ok, I don't believe in god but that's just plain stupid. We don't believe in satan because of the fact that we don't believe in god, as a matter of fact, if I did believe in satan, I would be more inclined to be a convert to christianity. They're both part of the same stories.

October 10, 2010 at 5:39 pm |
  15. Rachel

I'm sorry if artwork of your imaginary playmate offended you to the point that you had to destroy it. Stupid inbred religious nutjob.

October 10, 2010 at 11:57 am |
  16. DenverVet

It was just a copy of the art, unfortunately the original is still out there. This woman is my hero. You can't tell me that this artist didn't know what he was doing and was trying to get fame by being controversal. Also, he just cut out artwork from books, he didn't even draw this stuff on his own. I think people around the US are going to get more and more fed up with stuff like this and take matters into their own hands. Its a "ME" world now, and people are going to get sick of that too, the idea causes more problems than its worth. People dont even say "thank you" anymore, they just expect it because they are in a "me" world. Its sad. I see it all the time here in Denver, I hope the rest of the nation isn't like us!

October 10, 2010 at 11:55 am |
  17. tony

I need a few of the Bible believers to explain to explain Exodus 14:18, etc. Apparently the all-powerful god had to hide the Israelites from the Egyptians first, even though he could easily kill them all the next day

October 10, 2010 at 11:49 am |
    • Raider

It's because the men who made it up thought it would be a better story this way.

October 10, 2010 at 5:37 pm |
  18. Billy

Typical Christian & truck driver.

October 10, 2010 at 11:48 am |
  19. krashundburn

Wow. I'm impressed by the thoughtful level (for the most part) of discussion on this topic. Thanks people.

October 10, 2010 at 11:42 am |