home
RSS
October 13th, 2010

South Carolina mosque defaced with bacon

From CNN South Carolina affiliate WMBF:

A national Muslim civil rights and advocacy group is calling on the FBI to investigate a message written in bacon at mosque in Florence.

Three chair members of the Islamic Center in Florence discovered the words "pig" and "chump" written in strips of bacon on the walkway along the mosque Sunday afternoon.

Read the full story

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Food • Islam • South Carolina • United States

1. Porky Pig

You a listing here...I has had enuff of these Muslins giving us Pig's a hard time. We are fine tasting animals...they racist against us, just cos we's pigs, damn fools should be happy to get a free feed. (The dogs are obviously slow in that city!).

October 14, 2010 at 11:23 am |
  2. AntiWar

There is a great need of awareness that this is not a Christian country. Until then, someone will definitely dare to do such devil acts for fun.

October 14, 2010 at 11:20 am |
  3. DB

From a practical matter, I wish this had not been elevated to 'news' status. Just encourages copy cats to do more.

October 14, 2010 at 11:19 am |
  4. ...

"Although law enforcement officers have no suspects at this moment, the bacon was promptly taken into police custody."

October 14, 2010 at 11:19 am |
    • Cedar Rapids

and was grilled by police ๐Ÿ˜›

October 14, 2010 at 12:13 pm |
  5. Larry Lupus

What a waste of perfectly good bacon

October 14, 2010 at 11:16 am |
  6. Jeremy

The culprits should be hung for the nearest treee or stoned for these kinds of hateful acts!!! How dare they treat bacon in such a disgraceful manner!

October 14, 2010 at 11:16 am |
    • Tyler

You should be hung for thinking that.

October 14, 2010 at 3:38 pm |
  7. Reality

Who would disgrace bacon this way? Bacon is the finest gift from God that was given to mankind. Mmmm. Bacon. My mouth just waters at the thought of some double smoked Amish bacon, cut super thick on the Hobart slicer at a #52 setting, then cooked on the grill outside. That with a Sammie Adams Summer Ale and a Medice Man makes for a fine summer evening.

October 14, 2010 at 11:12 am |
    • Porky Pig

Uuum, they are not as civilised as us to appreciate the damn fine meat this country has! Fools!

October 14, 2010 at 11:26 am |
    • TheBookofBacon

Ramen, brother. I'm contemplating a BLT right now....Honey Peppperd Thick Cut, 'maters from my garden, homemade mayo, and some hothouse lettuce from the farmer's market...all on some toasty marble rye I got at the deli the other day. And while I'm eating the delicious flesh of that sinful animal, I'm going to add one more item to my list of reasons that I'm glad I'm not a Christian/Muslim/Jew....Bacon.

October 14, 2010 at 11:34 am |
    • Frogist

@Book of Bacon : You're starting to sound like Christine o'Donnell! ๐Ÿ˜‰

October 14, 2010 at 12:57 pm |
    • DKJ

Strange, the old testments say not to eat pork or other unclean animals. And the time this would make sense since they didn't have a save way to prepare & cook it which would cause many to become & die. This act only shows ignorance & hate which come together most of the time.
      Religion, the core of all evil and most wars.

October 14, 2010 at 1:38 pm |
  8. Jeremy

I find it funny......and seriously, why don't they give pork (and showers) another chance? Maybe that should be part of the new citizenship requirement for Muslims; no real American hates Bacon!

October 14, 2010 at 11:10 am |
    • Angie

Yes let's eat an animal who eats EVERYTHING including its own feces...how intelligent

Would you require the same of Jews????

October 14, 2010 at 11:31 am |
    • Predicta

Some Jews do eat pork. Just not those who maintain a kosher diet.

October 14, 2010 at 12:57 pm |
  9. james

a christian church would have taken a broom and spent a couple minutes to clean it up, then prayed for forgiveness for the people that did it.

these damn muslims though, call the media, then call the fbi looking to waste the governments money over a few strips of bacon.

and they wonder why their not welcome

October 14, 2010 at 11:10 am |
    • Ok

I agree.

October 14, 2010 at 12:04 pm |
    • Cedar Rapids

Try doing a google search about churches being desecrated james and you will see the news stories that came from christian churches.

October 14, 2010 at 12:12 pm |
    • Wzrd1

Yeah, James. They're almost as bad as those Jews who complained when someone decorated their synagogue with a swastika.
      It's illegal. It's amoral. Enough said.

October 14, 2010 at 12:48 pm |
    • steve

James So true!!

October 14, 2010 at 12:55 pm |
  10. capnmike

October 14, 2010 at 11:08 am |
    • Kevin

Yeah, because all 1.5 billion of the muslims in this world are the same huh? You say "these people are advocating beheading American's" as if every single one of them is guilty of this. I can't understand how such outspoken ignorance is so common right now in this country.

October 14, 2010 at 11:19 am |
    • Ignorance

"These people are advocating beheading Americans and overthrowing our way of life, and at the same time are complaining about BACON?"

Funny how people are one dimentional. You should ask yourself why? Could it be are that we are advocating our American way of life in the Middle East? Could it be we've killed millions of middle easterners over the last two decades in war? We are do easy to judge, yet we are the hypocrits that do not abide by our own rules.

October 14, 2010 at 11:28 am |
    • Angie

"These people."

Wow, you're a moron.

October 14, 2010 at 11:29 am |
    • CB

Kevin – they do this to Christians and Jews, why not muslims (referring to your comment about lumping them all into the 'terrorist' category. one person does not speak for all, but all Muslims read the same book, and it preaches HATE.

October 14, 2010 at 12:17 pm |
    • Shifty

Well we may not be able to lump them in the same category when it comes to terrorist, however we can lump them all in the same category of the most foul smelling people on this planet. I have never met one that doesn't reek of horrible odor. And to think of all the other poor american stuck working in cubicles next to these people at the IT offices around the country. Upon arrival they should all be required to be bleached, and issued a stick of deodorant Oh and be told Sandals are to be worn in the summer not year around we have seasons in America. Also when you go to our stores we don't negotiate the price of milk. I don't consider myself racist as all people have the good and bad however these qualities I just described goes for 99% of these people.......

October 14, 2010 at 4:31 pm |
  11. Paul

These hate crimes are going too far. I'm starting to wonder who the terrorists really are.

October 14, 2010 at 11:08 am |
    • james

dont get your panties in a whirl, it was probably a few teenagers having some fun

October 14, 2010 at 11:11 am |
    • James

Hate Crime? I truly hope your joking. As far as this "going to have" right now these acts are just ignorance. If you are so repulsed by hate I suggest you take a banner campaigning against the many Muslim groups in the U.S. pushing Sharia law. Enslaving woman, abusing children, and beheading your enemies is a lot worse than bacon on a sidewalk.

October 14, 2010 at 11:25 am |
    • JT

Hate crime!? You're not serious. You should put (sarcasm) next to your comment so others will know what you meant.

October 14, 2010 at 11:26 am |
    • StarMan

October 14, 2010 at 11:30 am |
    • GlennBaconBeck

It's obvious that anyone who hates bacon also hates amurika!

October 14, 2010 at 11:31 am |
    • steve

Paul, you couldn't be serious. Please don't tell me you equate this incident with what the radical Muslims have done!
      There is ZERO comparability

October 14, 2010 at 11:45 am |
    • Medardus

@Steve –

You said something key there; "Radical Muslims." 99% of Muslims aren't "radical." Much in the same way that 99% of Christians are not in the KKK.

@StarMan –

Let me remind you that the US, in the course of two wars on the fronts, has claimed the lives of 300 times the number of people killed at the WTC and the Pentagon (35 or so of whom were also Muslim).

@James –

"What did you guys do today?"

"Eh, not much. Burned some crosses. You know, just for fun."

Fun doesn't make *anything* less wrong.

October 14, 2010 at 12:09 pm |
    • Cedar Rapids

'@Paul, let me remind you that the muslims are the terrorists as they flew 3 planes into our buildings and KILLED 3000 innocent people.'
      oh silly me, I wasnt aware it was all muslims. well now it all makes sense.

October 14, 2010 at 12:09 pm |
    • Luke

James – No, this classifies as a hate crime in most states. An equivalent crime would be spray painting a Swastika on a Temple. The first charge is a misdemeanor – spray painting. The second charge is a hate crime. Same applies to a case like this, but I don't know S. Carolina Law.

October 14, 2010 at 12:16 pm |
    • steve

Medardus

I vety seriously question your percentages.

I've heard many Muslim women speaking out that a material % of their community believe in radical ways.

October 14, 2010 at 12:53 pm |
    • Medardus

@steve

Oh, so you've "heard" have you? If those Muslim women were also fundamentalist radicals they wouldn't have been speaking.

Or do you talk to Muslims on a regular basis? I wouldn't think that you do given your opinion of them.

By the way, questioning my statistics and then answering with hearsay sin't a good way to argue.

October 14, 2010 at 1:11 pm |
    • steve

Medardus You miss the point. These women are moderate and are tired of being mistreated by the Muslim men as many are.

Sorry but I'm certainly not the expert you think you are but I'm getting tired of this PC nonsense.

October 14, 2010 at 1:55 pm |
    • Nonimus

@Medarus
      I'm not sure even the target of this incident would consider this all that serious. They contacted the FBI, I think, to get it on record which is probably a smart thing to do, but even Mushtaq Hussain "initially thought the message was a practical joke."
      And, as to the type of crime, "Florence Police Chief Anson Shells says the incident is currently being investigated a form of harassment. Because nothing was done to an actual person, no crime has technically been committed."

Also, attacking the questioner isn't a good way to argue either. If someone questions your statistics, citing a source for your statistics is a good way to argue.
      "Only 5 percent of U.S. Muslims expressed favorable views of the terrorist group al-Qaida, though about a fourth did not express an opinion." – http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18797530/

p.s. I think this was an idiotic, bigoted, insensitive, thing to do. The perpetrator(s) would benefit greatly from spending more time with their Muslim neighbors, preferably doing charity work.

October 14, 2010 at 3:27 pm |
    • Frogist

@Nominus: "The perpetrator(s) would benefit greatly from spending more time with their Muslim neighbors, preferably doing charity work."
      Loving your suggestion.

October 14, 2010 at 4:29 pm |
  12. Jay

WHAT A WASTE OF PERFECTLY GOOD BACON!!

October 14, 2010 at 9:40 am |
  13. David Johnson

Good people! I would like to get your opinion on 2 exchanges between Frank and myself.

If you have 5 minutes or so, please go to this blog and read the exchange. Comment as you will.

Thanks!

October 14, 2010 at 9:39 am |
    • Luke

I had visions of beautiful women in a pillow fight wearing nighties. That's what I do when I read a good fight. In other news, well played.

October 14, 2010 at 11:00 am |
    • Wilko

Read some of the exchange- my opinion sis: you're both hatemongers that need to learn to accept others, and others intolerances, and move on with your lives. A coupl,e of kindergarten philosphers.

October 14, 2010 at 11:15 am |
    • jonah of arkansas

im proud of you david johnson- you're a very special person! i'm copy and pasting a copy of your brilliant arguments- and putting them on my fridge!!!

October 14, 2010 at 11:17 am |
    • Cedar Rapids

'I had visions of beautiful women in a pillow fight wearing nighties'
      They wear clothes in your visions? What are you? gay? ๐Ÿ˜›

October 14, 2010 at 12:08 pm |
    • David Johnson

@Luke

I really value your opinion over most others. I know I shouldn't get into silly arguments like that. I won't do it again.
      But, I really would like your honest opinion on the 2 exchanges. If you have the time.

October 14, 2010 at 12:48 pm |
    • Raison

@Luke
      LOL
      I love that post. If I had not been sitting down, my ass would have fallen off. Thanks. ๐Ÿ˜›

October 14, 2010 at 10:59 pm |
    • Raison

what is this? the timestamp on my post is newer than the ones before me?
      what the fuck is going on here? Did daylight savings time suddenly occur on a Thursday night in October?

A mind-boggling mystery!!! ๐Ÿ˜ฏ

October 14, 2010 at 11:03 pm |
  14. doctore0

Shame on those who waste bacon

October 14, 2010 at 7:20 am |
    • Reality

A Gold Star comment!!!

October 14, 2010 at 8:59 am |
  15. Iqbal khan

Please check:

October 13, 2010 at 7:17 pm |
    • Ok

No thanks.

October 14, 2010 at 12:01 pm |
    • Selfish Gene

F*in spam

October 14, 2010 at 5:06 pm |
  16. honestanon

..and the CNN headline reads "..mosque DEFACED with bacon..."

If someone throws an old p0rn magazine on the steps of the local catholic church, or throws a bag of rotten scallops on the lawn of the local temple, what happens? The janitor or the clergyman comes out, pick it up, mutter "@ssholes" under their breath, bag it and put it in the trash. Maybe they dedicate part of their next sermon to the stupidity of such acts.

But when bacon strips are put on the sidewalk of a mosque.. police are called, newspapers send reporters and photographers, CNN scream headlines... then the Feds come to town, reviewing the dossiers of domestic food terrorists, entering the details of the hate bacon into national databases, hell, they probably called Interpol to be on the lookout for the Sugardale gang.. "yes, Inspector Clouseau, our analysis indicates it was maple-smoked." Now of course CAIR is involved so they can inflate this to epic proportions.

It wasn't paint, It wasn't fire, It wasn't glass. it was – bacon. On the sidewalk. A clear downgrade from the broken windows of the last event at this mosque. The muslims treat pork like it was bubonic plague โ€“ Methinks thou doth protest to much... For Headlines.

How about this for a headline, CNN โ€“ "British School Systems Serve Halal Meat to All Students Without Consent." Why don't you run with that? Or print a big blaring headline about a mosque being "DEFACED" when the mosque is actually defaced. No wonder why fewer and fewer people consider you 'mainstream" media. How's those numbers lately?

October 13, 2010 at 6:06 pm |
    • Luke

Because it's a sign of a much larger problem facing this nation. That's why.

October 13, 2010 at 6:32 pm |
    • honestanon

Which problem? There's many to choose from.

October 13, 2010 at 7:11 pm |
    • Luke

Religious bigotry and grandstanding one over another.

October 13, 2010 at 7:53 pm |
    • honestanon

@Luke

A person can be bias when their opinion is based on facts. Prejudice, however, occurs without a person knowing or examining the facts.

So, is everyone bigoted? Or are they bias? Is bias universally bad? Or just bad if it's in opposition with your belief? What if the bacon-spellers are bias, but just stupid in presenting their position? Is a bacon-word on a public sidewalk (presuming public, article wasn't specific) any different than someone holding a picket sign on that same sidewalk? Let's deal with the inanity of a bacon word as a free-speech issue. We've all seen worse on picket signs, right?

This video is probably a good example of 'grandstanding', right? This is what you're talking about? Now, are the muslims who are picketing/demonstrating in this video bigoted, or are they bias?

October 13, 2010 at 8:49 pm |
    • Luke

I wrote a nice long reply, but the CNN moderators hate me and won't let it post. Sorry, I'm pulling out of this topic due to frustration.

October 14, 2010 at 8:59 am |
    • Frogist

@honestanon: Seriously if you don't understand the bias that's facing muslims in this country by now, nothing can convince you. Except meeting with some nice muslim people and talking to them. Have you done that yet? Maybe it's time you try it.
      And what's the issue with halal food?

October 14, 2010 at 9:49 am |
    • Luke

Halal just means Kosher. I really don't understand the problem.

October 14, 2010 at 10:52 am |
    • Phil

Because in Islam you are forbidden to even touch pork or other "unclean" foods/animals. Hence the mosque is literally "defaced". They'll have to go through a serious cleansing to remove the "defacing".

Of course, it just makes me hungry ๐Ÿ˜‰

October 14, 2010 at 11:12 am |
    • just me

you are soooo on the money! this is just sad. Too many other news-worthy events going on to report this nonsense.

October 14, 2010 at 11:13 am |
    • Wilko

luke- halal and kosher are not the same thing at all. They share a few similar concepts, but are compeltely different ways of preparing food for two different religions.

October 14, 2010 at 11:20 am |
    • Kokomo Joe

"Hate Bacon"! I think you just coined a phrase, and I love it!

October 14, 2010 at 11:31 am |
    • APadilla

Freakin' great post!

October 14, 2010 at 11:34 am |
    • steve

The day I see Moderate Muslims critical of their religeous zealots is the day I'll care about a story like this.

Not until then

October 14, 2010 at 11:36 am |
    • John/kc

The FBI has more pressing business that to get involved in this case. This happening is nothing and people need to get over it. Let the FBI investigate the murders in Texas and drugs coming across the Mexican border.

October 14, 2010 at 11:43 am |
    • Retired Army in San Antonio

Wilko, The bottom line is that Halal foods are not processed to include additional additives/ingriediants.

Halal an Arabic word meaning 'permissible'. In the context of food, Halal is simply a set of guidelines from the Qu'ran dictating how animals are prepared and which animals can or cannot be prepared for consumption...... Example.....the following foods cannot be Halal or permitted.....:
      Pork or pork by products;
      Animals that were dead prior to slaughtering;
      Animals not slaughtered properly or not slaughtered in the name of Allah;
      Blood and blood by products;
      Alcohol;
      Carnivorous animals;
      Birds of prey;
      Land animals without external ears.

The slaughter of a Halal animal is called 'zabihah' and there are certain guidelines to follow:

Allah's (God's) name must be pronounced during slaughter;
      The instrument must be very sharp to ensure humane slaughter and the animal must be slit at the throat;
      The animal must not be unconscious when slaughtered;
      The animal must be hung upside down and allowed to bleed dry;
      These steps must be accomplished by a Muslim or the "People of the Book".....meaning a Christian or Jew (Many observant Muslims find kosher meat acceptable).
      The animal must have been fed a natural diet that did not contain animal by-products.

October 14, 2010 at 12:05 pm |
    • CB

Why does everbody want to cuddle up to and defend Muslims all of the sudden? They are the only group worldwide with a book that preaches Jihad and terror. They guy in Florida wanted to burn books, the Bible and other religeous books get burned all the time, Jesus is sprayed with poo and the National Endowment for the arts funds the artist. Talk about hate, you people need to walk around Washington and realize why you're here, and how we all started. For one, start reading the inscriptions on all the buildings.....

October 14, 2010 at 12:15 pm |
    • Luke

CB – You just made some many false statements I don't even know where to begin. First of all, the Koran is not the only book to do that. Go read a bible and get back to me. Secondly, the Pastor in FL was acting in poor judgment, but no one told he was not allowed. Don't play the innocent victim here, it won't work with intelecuals. We know that radicals are at work in the middle east and we fear them, but we also fear Christians. They have been equally as dangerous in the past and we remain skeptics of the entire lot of you.

October 14, 2010 at 12:29 pm |
    • Megan Mayfield

Omg honestanon, I want to marry you.

October 14, 2010 at 12:29 pm |
    • Wzrd1

Retired Army in San Antonio, you forgot one other point for halal slaughter, the animal must NOT witness the slaughter of its fellows, which would cause it distress.
      I actually brought that up to a Saudi kid who was going on about youtube video of an Egyptian killing 19 camels in 10 seconds. My Saudi friend thought about it for a second and confirmed it, which caused the kid gushing about the video great angst, as he had forgotten that part.
      Even more embarassing for him was that it was an infidel that corrected him.
      I told him, it's OK, we all can make a small mistake and thing wrongly, what is important is to not repeat it.
      We then popped a few cans of the haram and had an excellent evening.

October 14, 2010 at 12:37 pm |
    • David Johnson

@Frogist

I met my first Muslim this last weekend, when I went to Phoenix. He and I were waiting on our cars, to be fixed.

With nothing else to do, we started up a conversation. I found the guy to be pretty cool. In the hour and a half we waited, we touched on a number of subjects. I found we held a number of the same values.

At any rate, if all Muslims are like that guy, they can move next door to me any day.

Oh wait, he had 1 flaw. He believes in god. We worked around that.

October 14, 2010 at 12:41 pm |
    • Frogist

@Luke & Retired Army in San Antonio: Yes, I know what Halal means... what I don't understand is why honestanon is so appalled. It's not like "halal" means "poison".
      @CB sounds like you need a bit of religious studies classes. There are ample references to violence and war in other holy books as well, including the bible. Also art has every right to criticise religion as it sees fit and the NEA guidlines on funding, while debated occasionally, certainly allow for that to some extent.

October 14, 2010 at 12:51 pm |
    • Retired Army in San Antonio

@ Frogist.....................
      honestanon displays his 'opposition' to Halal meat being served to British kids because he doesn't know what Halal meat is......or isn't He figures that since it's 'Muslim', it must somehow be bad. This is both ignorant and bigotted.......and that is what's at the root of honestanon's issues......IMHO, of course.

October 14, 2010 at 2:35 pm |
    • manny

they forgot the eggs and grits.

October 14, 2010 at 3:02 pm |
    • Frogist

@David Johnson: And he didn't decapitate you when he found out you were a non-believer?! LOL!
      I suspect he probably wasn't the first muslim you've ever met, just the first who you found out was muslim. But I'm glad the meeting went well. Sometimes it turns out that different people aren't so different after all.
      And, not to get unecessarily sappy on you or anything, but I want to say thanks for that, David. You put yourself out there and I'm glad you did. Some days it's hard for me to keep having faith in the human race. And it's the little things, like what you said, that can make a difference.

October 14, 2010 at 4:14 pm |
    • Frogist

@Retired Army in San Antonio: Yeah in encounters with honestanon in the past it seems he does have some issues with muslims. And it's usually based on misinformation. Unfortunately sometimes even if you throw as much info at a person as you can gather some people will still refuse to see.

October 14, 2010 at 4:20 pm |
    • oye'va

Luke – get a REAL job!

October 14, 2010 at 4:22 pm |
    • Jasa

I am Muslim and I do not have a problem with morons doing this to the mosque....It does not mean ANYTHING. Keep one thing in mind .... I LOVE AMERICA (USA) and I really hope that ALL people understand what is America ABOUT. Do not fall for cheap shots. Always keep in mind that America was founded on basis of tolerance and NOT on Christianity or Islam or any other religion.

Eselam alejkum (Peace upon you)

October 14, 2010 at 4:28 pm |
    • honestanon

@ Frogist
      @ Retired Army in San Antonio

Just home from work.. sorry, but I don't have the luxury of cruising these boards all day every day.

Make no mistake, I'm fully aware of the issues involved in Halal meat. There are issues both external and internal to the Halal system, including a host of problems in the procurement, processing, hygiene, blessing, staffing, regulation, oversight and marketing of Halal products. It's actually become one of my favorite topics as of late, but I'm not sure that a continuation of the discussion in this string will give this topic proper attention.

So, tell you what, team... why don't you ask the CNN editor to post an article on Halal and we'll get into it? But you might want to do some independent research first.. just to move the conversation along. I'm not glued to these blogs.

October 14, 2010 at 7:56 pm |
  17. TheRationale

Call the FBI over being defaced by bacon? How about call the FDA and see if it's still edible.

October 13, 2010 at 6:04 pm |
    • Retired Army in San Antonio

Yes.....you call the FBI because any 'attack based on the victim's religion is a civil rights violation.

October 14, 2010 at 11:29 am |
    • Al

They should be charged with bacon abuse!

October 14, 2010 at 11:33 am |
    • Pattysboi

Yes, report them, because Muslims do not eat pork or any byproducts of pork. Get a clue, and grow UP.

October 14, 2010 at 12:01 pm |
    • das0522

Why not, the FBI doesn't have anything better to do, right?

October 14, 2010 at 1:14 pm |
    • Cedar Rapids

'BTW three men were arrested for vandalizing a Catholic center in Madison NJ but authorities were quoted as saying they don't believe it was a bias crime (www.northjersey.com)'
      Were they vandalizing the building because it was catholic or just because they want to smash a place up? If the latter then nope, it wasnt a bias crime. It really isnt that difficult.

October 14, 2010 at 1:21 pm |
  18. Luke

If anyone declides to visit NYC any time soon, be sure to hit up the Strip House. Aside from a great steak dinner, they have this redonkulous bacon salad. It's 6 strips of THICK awesome bacon with a nice salad with homemade Russian dressing. One of the best dinners I've ever had in Gotham. Look me up – I'll meet you there.

October 13, 2010 at 5:13 pm |
    • Lloyd

That sounds delicious!

October 14, 2010 at 11:11 am |
    • The Force is with Luke!

Holy Porky Pig that sounds good! I'm taking the Bat Copter to Gotham right now! Let us dine on swine with a little bit of wine! We can take a doggy bag and swing by the proposed mosque site. Someone sinks a pig on that plot, and the location debate is OVER!

October 14, 2010 at 11:45 am |
    • k

I hope you choke on it

October 14, 2010 at 3:58 pm |
  19. JJ

That's just a waste of perfectly good, delicious, crispy, yummy, bacon. Mmmmm.....baaaacon. Simply bigotry and ignorance under a blanket of religion.

October 13, 2010 at 4:26 pm |
    • David Johnson

bigotry and ignorance...

Yep, but how long must a good atheist endure them?

October 13, 2010 at 4:56 pm |
    • Frogist

@JJ: pigs in a blanket? ๐Ÿ˜‰

October 14, 2010 at 9:52 am |
    • sixreddit

Why is CNN not reporting on bacon abuse stories like these? This is happening way too often. Where your brown ribbon for Bacon Awareness Week.

October 14, 2010 at 11:27 am |
    • BuddyKowalsk

Was it Canadian Bacon? The article doesn't say.

October 14, 2010 at 11:59 am |
    • ak2k

David Johnson – atheists like you and me must endure bigotry and ignorance forever. Land of the free baby! suck it up and enjoy the fact that we don't live in a nation that would prosecute us for our beliefs (or lack thereof).

October 14, 2010 at 12:15 pm |
    • Nacho1

That is an inane statement...........you must be a Baptist atheist.......................

October 14, 2010 at 12:30 pm |
    • I_drink_your_milkshake

100% agree. Who cares about the religious ignorant fighting over fairy tales...the real issue here is a waste of precious bacon!

October 14, 2010 at 12:46 pm |
    • Normon

@BuddyKowalsk
      Canadian? That's not bacon, bino (bacon in name only). ๐Ÿ™‚

October 14, 2010 at 2:01 pm |
    • All the muslim ladies (as song by Beyonce)

Why are you such a baconist? Always spouting hate towards bacon. what did Bacon ever do to you?

October 14, 2010 at 4:24 pm |
    • Buddy Kowalsk

@Normon Shhhhh! they don't know it.

October 14, 2010 at 6:23 pm |
  20. David Johnson

It's amazing the Muslims even want to come here.

October 13, 2010 at 3:35 pm |
    • David Johnson

@Luke

Spelled pig correctly... That is funny.

October 13, 2010 at 4:22 pm |
    • Achmed Fubar

Ahhhhhhh, so how was the Mosque defaced? I read the "walkway" had evil bacon on it. You should write for the Enquirer.

October 14, 2010 at 11:15 am |
    • Steve

where is PETA on this?

October 14, 2010 at 11:26 am |
    • Andy

Still better than there I guess.

October 14, 2010 at 11:41 am |
    • Edwin

Could say the same about christians, David Johnson. Why would they want to come here, in the 1700's, 1800's, and 1900's?

Perhaps, to get away from their home countries? Or are you simply ignorant of ALL U.S. history?

October 14, 2010 at 11:43 am |
    • arkagene

Luke, I'm sure the South Carolinians appreciate your bigotry. I have lived there and found them to be wonderful people.

October 14, 2010 at 11:48 am |
    • Bill

Its amazing that so many people here think that all Muslims "came" here. Numerous Muslims were born and raised here, and this IS their country.

October 14, 2010 at 11:51 am |
    • EvilGenious

Mmmmm.......sacrilicious.....*drool

October 14, 2010 at 11:53 am |
    • ak2k

Defacing? There was no spray paint on walls, no bricks through windows. In the land of free speech and religion, one must practice a little tolerance to intolerance....just a little.
      Down here in SC that bacon would have fried right up on that sidewalk a couple of months ago and breakfast would have been waiting – these guys are way too late!

October 14, 2010 at 11:54 am |
    • Cedar Rapids

'If they love their country so much, why did they leave in the 1st place? Youโ€™ll hear the typical response that they want to have a better life, or want to live in freedom, but once they come here all they want to do is live the same way they did in the country the left under the same conditions. If they love their country so much, why didnโ€™t they stay to make it a better way of life for themselves and their country? The answer; they are cowards and they chose an easy route out where they didnโ€™t have to sacrifice their sweat, their blood, their fortunes, or their lives like our forefathers did to make this country a better place for us to live.'
      I agree, those damn Irish Americans that get teary eyed every St Patrick's day. Oh, that wasnt what you meant? sorry.

October 14, 2010 at 12:04 pm |
    • ConcernedPerson

BOOBBY – THINK! our forefathers didn't stay and make their original countries stronger and better, remember? They left and immigrated to a country OWNED by the Indian nations, remember? They stole and conquered and killed their way into america, remember? Our immigrant forefathers terrorized them into oblivion, REMEMBER?

Please america – we must remember, we must be educated, we must think, we must stop being ignorant southern rascists like the ones I live around all day! Why is it that the cruelest folks are always religious? One would think that the christian gods are extremely evil and cruel by watching how their believers behave.

October 14, 2010 at 12:08 pm |
    • Luke

Bobby – You do realize that this is not immigration and that Muslims do indeed live amongst us as Americans. They are born here and so are their parents. In most cases, they are third and fourth generation descendents. I really don't understand what the F you are rambling about here.

October 14, 2010 at 12:10 pm |
    • Robert

Don't worry Muslims it's only Begging Strips you only think it's bacon...

Sorry couldn't resist after seeing the commercial and this story.

October 14, 2010 at 12:10 pm |
    • CB

Or Christians. What a two-faced society we live in under the BS label of "tolerant". Christian, Jewish and other places are vandalized all the time, I don't hear anybody buzzing about that.

October 14, 2010 at 12:11 pm |
    • Wzrd1

You forget that many have been here for many generations.

October 14, 2010 at 12:18 pm |
    • Luke

Roger – Where exactly do you want Americans that happen to be Muslim to go back to? And you are aware that Muslims do not only come from the Middle East? Indonesia is the largest Muslim country in the world. What about Muslims from Eastern Europe? You are aware that not all Muslims are brown and from Pakistan, right? The bulk are from Indonesia and many are white ladies with blonde hair from countries like Bosnia. I tend to try and keep my cool with people like you, but seriously, you're dumb, bigoted and very clearly uncultured. Go read a book.

October 14, 2010 at 12:25 pm |
    • Nacho1

It's amazing they did not fry the bacon................after it was attached to the building...........

October 14, 2010 at 12:29 pm |
    • rafael

The don't "come" here any more than your group "comes" here. They live here.

October 14, 2010 at 12:31 pm |
    • David Johnson

@Wilko

Yes, I understand. I just wish our country could be more tolerant. What was the point of the bacon? "Welcome to America"?

October 14, 2010 at 12:34 pm |
    • BuffaloGirl

@Mary, it's amazing how you want to group ALL Muslims together as terrorists and expel them from the country. When you make blanket statements like this, you're just flaunting your ignorance and it's almost impossible to take you seriously. It's also funny that you mention:

"America was created for the posterity of the Founding Fathers and not for terrorists and the community that begot the damn terrorists."

What, Islam is the only "community" that has fostered terrorists? Timothy McVeigh, Oklahoma City Bomber and terrorist, was a full-blooded white American. And PLEASE don't bring the Founding Fathers into this – or have you forgotten how they came to America and "forcefully extracted" the Native Americans that were already settled here, employing their own brand of terrorism?

October 14, 2010 at 12:35 pm |
    • Texorama

Everything's better with bacon.

October 14, 2010 at 12:37 pm |
    • Unit34AHunt

LOL! The First Amendment is a wonderful thing. So is sarcasm. Betcha the reaction will be over the top PC, with mutterings of death to America.

October 14, 2010 at 12:37 pm |
    • Mesa Mick

Yeah, you wonder why anyone who is not a white conservative chrizz-jun would want to come to SC given the warm friendly welcome they get from the Jim DeMints personal welcome wagon the Teatards...

October 14, 2010 at 12:37 pm |
    • Frogist

@Mary: And sig heil to you too! Hope your family were agnostic native american pacifists... After all, if we're going to expel anyone with associations to any group that was ever involved with violence or dissent and not from this country, you better be sure of your heritage.

October 14, 2010 at 12:41 pm |
    • Dan

@ Mary
      Wow that's one of the most bigoted statements I've heard, my heritage is German yet you don't lump me in with those that killed 6 million Jews right? The problem is people like you think it is ok to discriminate based on the actions of the few.

October 14, 2010 at 12:44 pm |
    • AnitAmericans Leave

"We can fly planes into your buildings, but you hateful americans better not spell with bacon in our mosques!" Yeah....WE are the EVIL ones. GO BACON SPELLERS!!!!!

October 14, 2010 at 12:45 pm |
    • Troy

Is the sidewalk really the "property" of the Mosque? Lets get real.

October 14, 2010 at 12:52 pm |
    • Captain Bacon

Freedom of pork! If an american brings home the bacon he can do with it what he wants. At most, this is littering. The real crime is the waste of delicious bacon!

October 14, 2010 at 12:53 pm |
    • Wendell Parker

They want to fuss about bacon? But it's ok to behead people, run cars over kid's arms who steal, beat women and treat them like dogs and persecute/execute Christians? How do you spell American-style justice?

October 14, 2010 at 1:03 pm |
    • adams

how many members of that particular mosque cut people's heads off wendel?

October 14, 2010 at 1:04 pm |
    • das0522

If they didn't I wouldn't miss them

October 14, 2010 at 1:16 pm |
    • LB Colorado

Calling in the FBI for bacon on a walkway, surely there is far more pressing things that the FBI can spend time and money rather this ANTI AMERICAN RELIGIOUS BS.

October 14, 2010 at 1:47 pm |
    • TheMiddleGrounds

Its funny how its ok for them to deny all other religions (Christianity, Buddhism, Voodoo, etc) and follow Mohammad's "kill them all that don't follow," yet they get all hissy when some (weight watching) teens simply pulled out the bacon from their burgers and tossed it on the sidewalk. Its not their fault the bacon landed on public/city grounds and happened to have the appearance of spelling "Pig."

October 14, 2010 at 1:48 pm |
    • Gil

Don't worry Muslim, bacon isn't bomb like terrorist Muslim did,won't kill u..lol

October 14, 2010 at 2:14 pm |
    • David

Everyone loves BACON!!!

Jokes aside, do we really need to call in the FBI?

October 14, 2010 at 2:26 pm |
    • David

What a waste of bacon.

October 14, 2010 at 2:31 pm |
    • Ed Malo

I'm sad and ashamed for my fellow countrymen who did this and some who comment here. This is NOT what America stands for, atleast not what I thought my country did. Sad sad. So much for freedom and religious tolerance, now we violate people's religions and laugh and carry on about it on news websites...wow

October 14, 2010 at 2:48 pm |
    • bailoutsos

Was it Canadian bacon? If so, they they should complain to the Mounties.

October 14, 2010 at 2:56 pm |
    • Bobby

What country on this planet wasnโ€™t founded by not conquering another people at some time? Come on!! That is such a lame response and one that lacks any critical thinking skills. Most of our forefathers were born in this country which is why they were willing to sacrifice everything they had, because they loved this country and felt they could do better then what they had. Thatโ€™s what a society is suppose to do. Most of the Muslims in this country are still 1st generation and refuse to assimilate into the AMERICAN way of life, but expect Americans to change our culture, our customs to fit their life style. If they donโ€™t want to assimilate, why should they come here!!?

October 14, 2010 at 3:20 pm |
    • Martti

Isn't the sidewalk Public Property? It is in my town. So there was NO 'defacing of a mosque.' And as far as getting the FBI to investigate... I think all our agents are busy hunting down the 'radicals' within the 'Religion of Peace' and can't be bothered with such petty incidents. Now, if all those 'Moderate Muslims' we keep hearing about would just help us find the 'extremists' then we'd have to manpower to do something about this 'defacing.'

October 14, 2010 at 4:16 pm |
    • All the muslim ladies (as song by Beyonce)

I guess the muslims did not get the memo on the history of the South (not that the north is much better....just more discreet in their hatred).

October 14, 2010 at 4:23 pm |
    • John M

October 14, 2010 at 4:30 pm |
    • curt

since when did america start the FBI – federal bacon investigators

October 14, 2010 at 4:56 pm |
    • Selfish Gene

Fixed. Yeesh
      Selfish Gene
      Your comment is awaiting moderation.

America on a bad day is bet ter than the mid dle east on a go od day.
      I fre akin love ba con.

October 14, 2010 at 5:01 pm |
    • Big One

Double Standard for American. Killed innocent Indians and now crying !!
      Want's immigrant's to go . Let us start with FIFO (First in First Out)

October 14, 2010 at 5:04 pm |
    • John M

I can't believe the garbage people are spewing about this. I live in NC and SC is pretty much a joke here. It's stuck in the 19th century. Jim Demint, the Hiking Gov. etc. The comments reflect the narrow minds. "Why do they come here?" The same reason everybody's families came here whether it was 200 years ago or 2 years ago. FYI, Muslims are not allowed to eat pork, just like Jews.

October 14, 2010 at 5:07 pm |
    • Uncle Mikey

DISCLAIMER: No Muslims were harmed in the bacon defacing of this mosque.

October 14, 2010 at 11:00 pm |
    • Rita Mahmood

Its the south, as a southern bell Muslim myself, I am sorry to say "what do you expect?". There is still a lot of wrong ideas about the real Islam and true Muslims. I saw today on the morning news a Gentleman named Michael Sawyer (if I remember correctly) talked about Osama Bin Laden. He made the comment (paraphrased) "we forget Islam around the world see's OBL as a hero". As an American Muslim I can say that is an unfair comment, true Muslims and the real Islam do not think OBL is a hero. On the contrary, he has made our lives more difficult in an already difficult area. With comments like this more bacon will fly.

October 19, 2010 at 7:14 am |