home
RSS
October 13th, 2010

South Carolina mosque defaced with bacon

From CNN South Carolina affiliate WMBF:

A national Muslim civil rights and advocacy group is calling on the FBI to investigate a message written in bacon at mosque in Florence.

Three chair members of the Islamic Center in Florence discovered the words "pig" and "chump" written in strips of bacon on the walkway along the mosque Sunday afternoon.

Read the full story

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Food • Islam • South Carolina • United States

1. CBR Florida

What if I walk by and drop the bacon and somehow it forms the word PIG on the sidewalk? Probably thats what actually happened. Who would be willing to waste a strip of bacon to provoke Muslims?? We all do that already by simply being alive.

October 14, 2010 at 2:52 pm |
  2. The Baconator

Bacon? What an outrage. They should trek back to their homeland where they don't have to worry about such 'defacings'. Well, then I guess they would have to worry about the daily Mosque-bombings, but it would be worth it I'm sure.

October 14, 2010 at 2:51 pm |
  3. JJ

LMAO! Only dimwit southerners would think of this. The mosque should return it to the white trash in the form of an enema! LOLOLOLOL!!!

October 14, 2010 at 2:50 pm |
    • Tomz

Not all southerners or people from SC are idiots. I have 2 friends in Florida, and they both graduated from college. 1 of them moved there from the New York area though, but that still leaves the other one. I'm sure there are others in some of the states down there.

October 14, 2010 at 2:53 pm |
    • BobRoss

Thanks for sticking up for us Tomz... See JJ we've got at least two college educated people in the south, so I'd be careful stereotyping all of us as "dimwits" if I were you.*

*While the general thoughts and ideas of this statement came from a native South Carolinian, they were arranged, formatted, and typed by a PhD from Rhode Island.

October 14, 2010 at 4:02 pm |
  4. Tomz

Nobody would ever deface an FSM church in this, or any other way.

October 14, 2010 at 2:50 pm |
  5. melting pot

Uhhh the FBI? These people are stupid. This isn't their jurisdiction on such a pathetic crime. Call the police you idiots, you are nothing special because you are muslim. You follow the same procedures as everyone else.

October 14, 2010 at 2:49 pm |
  6. FromFlorence

coming from florence, all this is is a bunch of minority teenagers probably doing this as a gang initiation.. yes, we have those, just like big cities. it was prob folk. the muslims in this area are very quite. most of the time, u cannot tell them from the rest of the people. and a side note. most of these muslims are reformed christian african americans. also, this mosque was visited by 9/11 perps. most members were questioned by fbi and subjected to phones being tapped. the perps just stopped by on way through for religious services, and this is what members had to go through.

October 14, 2010 at 2:48 pm |
    • manny

hey flo i think you need to live south side chicago for a week.

October 14, 2010 at 2:56 pm |
  7. Lynn

I hate it when people waste food!

October 14, 2010 at 2:39 pm |
  8. IToldYou

If only it were bacon soaked in fire.

October 14, 2010 at 2:37 pm |
  9. Julie

I think a better response from the mosque would be a roll of the eyes and a laugh. If all they have to fear is some pinhead with a package of bacon then they're doing well. This incident was so stupid it doesn't deserve to be dignified lby being called a crime.

October 14, 2010 at 2:32 pm |
  10. ChollyGee

South Carolina should secede from the Union. Seems like they want to live in the Confederacy and ignore the laws of the USA. SC has MS beat for illiterate stupidity.

October 14, 2010 at 2:29 pm |
    • Tomz

Favorably omparing any state's literacy level to MS is like a doctor telling you that your health is better than your great great great great grandfather's.

October 14, 2010 at 2:58 pm |
  11. Jith

It's raining bacon!!! Hooray!!!

Can we get meatballs please?

October 14, 2010 at 2:28 pm |
  12. MissMel10

Reading some of these comments, there is no denying that racism, ignorance and bigotry are still very much a part of American culture. How sad...

October 14, 2010 at 2:27 pm |
    • Tomz

Really? This is totally tame. Go to fo xnews . com, open up any story, and click on the link to the comments. That will make you lose ALL faith in human civility.

October 14, 2010 at 3:01 pm |
  13. Brian

Attention all Muslims: You must all flee the U.S. at once, for there is bacon all around. Hurry!

October 14, 2010 at 2:25 pm |
  14. SensibleJoe

It speaks volumes how some militant Christians in the United States will cry "persecution" because Walmart says "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas," yet can't show any empathy when vandals break another religion's taboo to desecrate a house of worship. Whatever happened to Jesus' prime directive in Luke 6:31: "Treat others the same way you want them to treat you"?

October 14, 2010 at 2:25 pm |
    • Gail Snail

Well said, SensibleJoe. I agree with you.

Leaving bacon at a mosque is the same as drawing swastikas on a Jewish synagogue. We need to respect each other.

Just because the 911 Terrorists just happened to be Muslims doesn't mean each and every Muslim agrees with their actions. Timothy McVeigh was a Christian, but he's actions were not that of a Christian person.

October 14, 2010 at 2:42 pm |
    • SICKofLIBERALS

Do unto others? Ok, then leave some bacon at my house and I'll return the favor when you are hungry. Muslims, come on, get a grip. If you don't like it, go back to your country of origin (note, for those that were born here as stated by someone in this string of messages, I said country of ORIGIN)!

October 14, 2010 at 2:52 pm |
    • Tomz

Country of origin means where my ancestors came from? So if I don't like it, should I go back to England, Scotland, Wales, France, Germany or Poland? Or do I need to trace my ancestry back to Africa?

October 14, 2010 at 3:05 pm |
  15. fj

I wish somone would leave bacon every morning on my doorstep. I would consider that a gift from God, not defacing. Oh yea don't forget the eggs and toast.

October 14, 2010 at 2:23 pm |
  16. Jim

If the FBI investigates this, than I want the FBI to come over to my house and figure out who is spray painting profanity in my alley. I mean come on! Why are these muslims getting so much special treatment? If I went and sprayed 666 on a catholic sidewalk that wouldn't make CNN and that is way more damaging that some bacon, what a crock.

October 14, 2010 at 2:22 pm |
    • Tomz

No need to call the FBI about the spray painted profanity in your alley. I have a feeling that was my son. He's been grounded for the next 4 weeks, and has lost both cell phone and ipod priveleges for a year. I apologize. If you contact me, I'll march him down to where you live to clean the alley. A little public humiliation for him will hopefully teach him a lesson.

October 14, 2010 at 3:09 pm |
  17. SouthAustin

Anyone stupid enough to live in South Carolina deserves what they get. If you want tolerance go somewhere where the families trees actually fork.

October 14, 2010 at 2:17 pm |
  18. kerry

knowing how extremist some Muslims can be, I bet they planted the bacon themselves.

October 14, 2010 at 2:12 pm |
  19. bRODY

QUESTION? What did bacon do to deserve this

October 14, 2010 at 2:11 pm |
  20. michiganruth

boo hoo hoo. synagogues in this country (and elsewhere) have been vandalized for years, with slurs much more damaging and hurtful than "pig" referring to bacon. yet nobody has a problem with that. it's only when it concerns Muslims that suddenly we're all falling over ourselves trying to be tolerant. what a crock.

October 14, 2010 at 2:09 pm |
    • Paul in Louisville

I'm more concerned about your blatant ignorance and hatred. In fact, I'm much more concerned by the alleged Christians in this country than any Muslim terrorist.

October 14, 2010 at 2:31 pm |