home
RSS
October 13th, 2010

South Carolina mosque defaced with bacon

From CNN South Carolina affiliate WMBF:

A national Muslim civil rights and advocacy group is calling on the FBI to investigate a message written in bacon at mosque in Florence.

Three chair members of the Islamic Center in Florence discovered the words "pig" and "chump" written in strips of bacon on the walkway along the mosque Sunday afternoon.

Read the full story

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Food • Islam • South Carolina • United States

1. The Hawk

Poor bacon!!!!! Now it's Muslim germs. Can't eat it now.

October 14, 2010 at 3:21 pm |
  2. sue

This just makes me SICK! You know, the reward for Islamaphobia is someday going to be that the peace-loving Muslims will have a melt-down and retaliate (who wouldn't??????) and then we can all point fingers and smugly say "See, we told you that all Muslims are violent". This is an INSANE world.

October 14, 2010 at 3:20 pm |
  3. livinfree

My sympathies to the children and any peaceful Muslims at this mosque. The fact remains that according to the most recent FBI statistics, there are 10X as many "hate crimes" against Jews as there are against Muslims. Ten! Where are the CNN stories on those?

October 14, 2010 at 3:17 pm |
  4. ben

Most muslims in America are worthless and potentially dangerous.

October 14, 2010 at 3:16 pm |
  5. Tutavabene

Presumably, they were smart enough not to use turkey bacon.

October 14, 2010 at 3:15 pm |
  6. styymy

What is it with people in South Carolina???

October 14, 2010 at 3:13 pm |
  7. nOT Trash

I want someone to leave me FREE BACON!!!

October 14, 2010 at 3:12 pm |
  8. ASH

shmeckell – I guess I am just as American as you are...we are very creative in reading media and stories and generalizing Muslims....I love my religion and what I just said about Chrisitians was sarcasm but I was just showing a point. I did something wrong...I should have just ignored..I apologize to you.

October 14, 2010 at 3:12 pm |
    • shmeckell

No apologize required; especially to me. When it comes to making mistakes I consider myself a pro.

October 14, 2010 at 3:52 pm |
  9. Alan

It took awhile to realize I was actually viewing the vandalism, which looks more like a kid's prank. To blow this up to a national news story, to call it a hate crime, to let these maroons make a big deal out of it - means there must be something wrong with us. What's next, we can only have a barbecue when the wind is right? Say, that gives me an idea.

October 14, 2010 at 3:09 pm |
  10. Ausmadmaxx

This is CNN NEWS?

October 14, 2010 at 3:05 pm |
  11. ASH

I guess Christians are the real terrorists for harrassing others..and their army kills innocent kids and children and they go back home and become losers without jobs or ambition...nice!

October 14, 2010 at 3:04 pm |
    • shmeckell

You must have creative reading skills.

October 14, 2010 at 3:08 pm |
  12. shmeckell

I sure the FBI dropped everything and made this top priority. It is not like they have anything important to do.

October 14, 2010 at 3:04 pm |
  13. jd

Oh no! Not bacon!!!
    This is why you can't mix cultures and survive. They are offended by bacon, then dance in the streets when we are attacked. They will never assimilate and will expect us to change.

October 14, 2010 at 3:02 pm |
    • TexPride

Exactly. Our cultures do not fit together. I know there are Muslims who live and work and fit into American society. Many do not and feel that America is unclean and headed for destruction. I have to ask myself, "Why are they here if they feel that way?" I've heard them say it in everyday conversation. That scares the living hell out of me, and I have a right to be concerned that a growing faction of this country seeks to change the very foundations on which it was built.

October 14, 2010 at 4:59 pm |
  14. AmericanPieX

Bacon, shmacon

sounds like a lame "prank" by some drunk. If bacon is the worst thing that this mosque has dealt with then they should be happy. Just as Julie mentioned.

Americans never assimilate anyone without some hazing, its in our history, from the blacks that we dragged from Africa to the potato famined Irish, olive oil tugging "TO NY" Italians, Wig and pantyhose wearing English, Sausage Packing Polish,

and even after assimilation Americans by nature are intolerant as a nation. We are intolerant of anyone else who shows any distinction, you have to eat, breathe and live like us. Otherwise we will treat you like that wart on the hand that jacks off, your there, we dont like you very much but we wont let you get in the way of taking care of business.

October 14, 2010 at 3:01 pm |
  15. Matt the King

This is really disgraceful! As a nation, this is what we've been reduced to? Putting bacon on a mosque?! I mean, something less offensive would still get the point accross like maybe a beheading or two, or blowing yourself up at the entrance to a school for girls, or cutting a woman's nose off, or killing a man for drawing a cartoon, but BACON!? Lord help us all! (sorry for the repost- couldn't leave my question mark typo in there. It made no sense.)

October 14, 2010 at 2:56 pm |
  16. none

FBI, really?!

October 14, 2010 at 2:56 pm |
  17. bailoutsos

If it was Canadian bacon they they should complain to the Mounties.

October 14, 2010 at 2:55 pm |
    • The Baconator

LOL – nice

October 14, 2010 at 2:56 pm |
  18. Matt the King

This is really disgraceful? As a nation, this is what we've been reduced to? Putting bacon on a mosque?! I mean, something less offensive would still get the point accross like maybe a beheading or two, or blowing yourself up at the entrance to a school for girls, or cutting a woman's nose off, or killing a man for drawing a cartoon, but BACON!? Lord help us all!

October 14, 2010 at 2:55 pm |
    • Julie

oh whatever..."as a nation"? What about when school kids TP someone's house. How we have fallen.

October 14, 2010 at 3:26 pm |
  19. The Baconator

JJ, let me guess: New Jersey or Ohio – am I right?

October 14, 2010 at 2:53 pm |
  20. manny

oh my ! they forgot the eggs and grits.

October 14, 2010 at 2:53 pm |