home
RSS
October 13th, 2010

South Carolina mosque defaced with bacon

From CNN South Carolina affiliate WMBF:

A national Muslim civil rights and advocacy group is calling on the FBI to investigate a message written in bacon at mosque in Florence.

Three chair members of the Islamic Center in Florence discovered the words "pig" and "chump" written in strips of bacon on the walkway along the mosque Sunday afternoon.

Read the full story

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Food • Islam • South Carolina • United States

1. Kathy NYC

Its all about acceptance and the fact that THEY cannot accept the fact that we do not ACCEPT them.

October 14, 2010 at 11:41 am |
    • Edwin

Kathy: I also have a great deal of trouble accepting bigots, but I don't see how I can get YOU to leave... Please tell me how. After the haters leave, we might have an adequate country again.

October 14, 2010 at 11:45 am |
  2. Fredward

Call agents Mulder and Scully. Surely this pork usage was the work of aliens.

October 14, 2010 at 11:40 am |
  3. JohnQuest

Sucks to be them, if they can't take a joke.

October 14, 2010 at 11:40 am |
  4. Saladin

Does this mean Kevin Bacon can't go to a Muslim country? How barbaric though, this act is as bad as decapitating a hostage!

October 14, 2010 at 11:38 am |
    • Mike in Cali

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. That was good. thank you.

October 14, 2010 at 4:42 pm |
  5. Steve

You gotta admit Muslims can be a little rudy tudy fresh and fruity.

October 14, 2010 at 11:36 am |
  6. allen

What if it's just an fat kid trying to promote pork and signed their name as chump? I mean there's a huge campain trying to promote pork as the "other white meat." Maybe it's a white boy wanting to date a girl at the church?

October 14, 2010 at 11:35 am |
    • KevinBacon

Footloose for a brown skinned girl who has a secret love of bacon, a young South Carolinian boy declares his love in forbidden meat...

October 14, 2010 at 11:41 am |
  7. Jim Bacon

What about the eggs? We should all go to that mosque for a good old fashion American Breakfast!

October 14, 2010 at 11:34 am |
    • AGeek

International Mosque Of Pancakes! (iMOP ..wait, does Apple have that as a cleanup app?)

October 14, 2010 at 11:36 am |
    • Francis Bacon

Grand Slams for everone! If we could all get together at Denny's for some breakfast, we could probably work these issues out....over some bacon.

October 14, 2010 at 11:40 am |
  8. B

Now the Muslims will make this a call to arms to slaughter innocent Americans. Is this what religion has come to? An eye for a piece of bacon? When was the last time any of us saw an Islamic group rally in DC denouncing these extremists? When are we going to see a million man Muslim march against terrorism, and promoting peace? When are the Muslims in this country going to stand up against those that use their religion as an instrument of war? If Islam is truly a religion of peace, than I expect protests from Muslims against Muslim extremism.

October 14, 2010 at 11:33 am |
    • AGeek

This is not "what it has come to." This is what it Has Been All Throughout History. Islam is a religion of peace in the same way that a bicycle is an excellent mode of transportation to a fish.

October 14, 2010 at 11:35 am |
    • Frogist

Did any of you read the article? No one is rioting. No one is killing over this. Doesn't that counter your short-sighted agruments? In fact, the mosque members didn't even want to do anything at first, but thought it was important just to be safe.

October 14, 2010 at 1:08 pm |
  9. Steve

maybe Lady Gaga can come and protest wearing a bacon bikini!

October 14, 2010 at 11:33 am |
  10. Jack

Freedom of speech, baby. Suck it!

October 14, 2010 at 11:32 am |
    • twood

amen!!!!!

October 14, 2010 at 12:01 pm |
    • Cedar Rapids

wow, if that is what you want to call it.

October 14, 2010 at 12:20 pm |
  11. Mark

Bacon on a sidewalk isn't nearly as offensive as "honor killings", stonings, IEDs, truck bombs, and beheaddings.

October 14, 2010 at 11:31 am |
  12. AGeek

I'm absolutely OUTRAGED. This is a SENSELESS waste of perfectly good bacon! Indeed, it should be investigated and the perpetrators held accountable!

October 14, 2010 at 11:30 am |
  13. JT

I always thought we should strap hams to those drones targeting terrorists. Fire one of those babies at 'em and they'll all come out of their caves with their hands in the air.

October 14, 2010 at 11:27 am |
  14. Anything with muslim in it is news these days I guess

Just making up news eh?

October 14, 2010 at 11:27 am |
  15. jd

Its is sad that people are treating it as a funny incident. But none of you realize that who ever did this is filled with hatred. If this country was lawless then they would have gone to extremes of killing some one. This is about abiding the law of the country not about religion.

October 14, 2010 at 11:27 am |
    • Reality

Maybe it is just some kids playing what they believe is a practical joke. Maybe that is what the problem is in this country, everything that happens is assumed to be a major hatred based assault. How about people start to lighten up a bit, and remove some stress from their lives and not take things so friggen seriously. Move along folks, nothing to see here.

October 14, 2010 at 11:34 am |
    • AGeek

well .. yeah, they could be filled with hatred. However, it's much more likely that they're filled with an excellent sense of sarcasm and well grounded understanding in just how foolish some things actually are (like eschewing a form of nutrition due to the animal, strictly for religious reasons .. becoming violently enraged over cartoons .. things like that).

October 14, 2010 at 11:34 am |
    • Cedar Rapids

'Maybe it is just some kids playing what they believe is a practical joke.'
      yeah and decided to play this joke in a humourous and lighthearted, no offense meant, 'come on, laugh with us, lets all go out for a drink afterwards' type way.

October 14, 2010 at 12:17 pm |
    • Frogist

It probably is just a practical joke to the person who did it. But it's not to the muslims in the mosque. And while I might find it funny in a South Park kind of way, I still have to wonder how I would feel if it were me. Can any of you say you would be ok, if someone took something offensive and wrote "pig" on your driveway? I would certainly be upset and worried. Especially about what else they might do.

October 14, 2010 at 1:03 pm |
  16. sixreddit

I can only encourage such acts. Bacon is delicious, and thought provoking. Bacon also leaves a small carbon footprint when compared to spray paints or napalm. Bacon leaves a wonderful aroma, which, given time, will overcome the stink of medieval traditions that have no place in our bacon-rich 21st century. I don't know about you, but I'm going to go buy some bacon right now! And while I'm eating my wonderfully secular bacon, lettuce, and tomato sandwich, I will draw up plans for Share Some Bacon with the Shiites day! Coming soon to a subreddit near you.

October 14, 2010 at 11:26 am |
  17. JohnQuest

Reality, You just cause a tear for all the Summers I have wasted. Its getting too cold in the Mid-Atlantic (we might have 2 or 3 good weekends left, my wife won't like you when she finds out where I got the idea for bacon and summer ale.

October 14, 2010 at 11:25 am |
    • Reality

That's okay. I live in Michigan. The grill still works in the snow, and there is always the Sammies Octoberfest. I may have been incorrect in the Hobart setting though, it is probably 25, not 52. Otherwise that would be as thick as a pork chop.....Hey! That may still work.

October 14, 2010 at 11:37 am |
    • Reality

Comments were made by the other Reality who does not live in Michigan.

October 14, 2010 at 4:55 pm |
  18. OMG THAT IS SO FUNNY

That is one of the most funniest things I have heard in a long time. They want the FBI to investigate the bacon message on the walkway has to be the second most funniest thing I have ever heard.

October 14, 2010 at 11:25 am |
  19. StarMan

In the grand scheme of things being bacon'd didn't kill anyone. muslims will probably use this as a rallying point to go out and murder some innocents. Oh wait, it's a religion of peace. And I'm a Martian.

October 14, 2010 at 11:24 am |
  20. SC

@Luke. What does S. Carolina have to do with it? Stereotype much?

October 14, 2010 at 11:24 am |