home
RSS
The story behind the Chilean miners' Jesus T-Shirts
October 14th, 2010

The story behind the Chilean miners' Jesus T-Shirts

As miners were being pulled from Chile's San Jose mine Wednesday, most were wearing tan T-shirts over their coveralls. The Chilean government told reporters the green coveralls were designed to help absorb the sweat as they ascended to the top.

But Wes Little, a CNN editor/producer in Atlanta, wondered why the miners were wearing the T-shirt over their coveralls. He noticed a logo on the T-shirt's left sleeve for the Jesus Film Project.

Here's what we found:

The Jesus Film Project is a ministry of Campus Crusade for Christ International, the massive Orlando, Florida-based evangelical ministry.

The Jesus Film Project tells us they have translated the film into 1,105 languages and that it has been seen in every country. You can watch or listen to over a 1,000 of the translations here.

The main goal of TJFP's ministry is to create and distribute effective media in every language, says Berry Fiess, the group's director of field information services.

Seventeen days into the mine accident, CCCI country director for Chile, Christian Maureira, started contacting public officials to see if they could send the miners a copy of the film. Fiess said Maureira was able to reach a daughter and a brother of miner Jose Henriquez.

Through that family contact, the group was able to send an MP3 audio version of the Jesus film and an MP3 audio version of the New Testament in Spanish to Henriquez down in the mine.

The Jesus film explains that the New Testament tells how Jesus is laid in a tomb-like cave after his crucifixion. Three days later, Jesus is said to have risen from the dead. In the Jesus film, women come to the tomb and find the stone that blocked the entrance has been rolled away, the cave empty.

It is unclear if the miners saw the resurrection story as a parallel for their hoped-for rescue, but Jose Henriquez passed along a letter to CCCI's Maureira from inside the mine. Fiess shared the English translation with CNN:

Thank you for this tremendous blessing for me and my coworkers. It will be good for our spiritual edification. I am fine because Christ lives in me.

We have prayer services at 12 noon and 6 pm.

"At the end of the letter," Fiess said, "(Henriquez) said goodbye with Psalm 95:4, which says, 'In His hand are the depths of the earth, and the mountain peaks belong to Him.'"

A few days later, Henriquez asked Maureira to get them special T-shirts.

"The T-shirts were a gift from Campus Crusade for Christ Chile," Fiess said. "In the front you can read, 'Gracias Senor' - 'Thank you Lord.'"

And on the back, Psalm 95:4.

"Apparently, all the miners liked them," Fiess said. "It kind of solidified them."

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Chile • Christianity • Missionaries • South America

1. wellwisher

How can Person be God ??... and how can God die.?. God should be different from humans..
    God cannot be comparable to anything in this unviverse.. then only can be god.. Think about it...

October 14, 2010 at 11:48 pm |
    • Frank

"How can Person be God ??..."

God can take on any form He pleases. He knows no limits.

"and how can God die.?. God should be different from humans.."

God as a Being didn't die. His physical Body did. It's the same with us – our physical bodies perish, but our souls are eternal.

"God cannot be comparable to anything in this unviverse.."

He's not.

"then only can be god.. Think about it..."

Huh?

October 14, 2010 at 11:58 pm |
  2. Wake up

Parental brainwashing should be illegal.
    Every innocent child should be given the time to see if he/she really wants to waste his time believing in some imaginary bearded superhero.
    Alas most believers take their siblings to church as soon as they are born and convince them that they'll go to hell if they don't believe in that nonsense.Talk about education.

October 14, 2010 at 11:42 pm |
    • David Johnson

Yep, every child is born an atheist. No child is inclined toward any religion.

October 15, 2010 at 1:12 am |
    • smath

"Yep, every child is born an atheist. No child is inclined toward any religion."

wow. I'd love to see the research on that one.

October 15, 2010 at 2:20 am |
    • David Johnson

@smath

No research is necessary. People's religion is mostly based on their parents religion, and where they live.

The Christians on this blog would be Muslim if they were born or raised by Muslim parents in Iran.

Almost from birth parents begin to transform their child into a Mormon, or a Catholic or a Muslim.

A child born in a rain forest, isolated from missionaries, will worship whatever god(s) their tribe and parents worship.

Children are not born Christian or any other religion.

October 15, 2010 at 1:20 pm |
  3. Reality

The gods to the rescue and their names are Hall and Fisher.

October 14, 2010 at 11:29 pm |
  4. Melissa

It's easy to believe or disbelieve something while sitting at my computer, sipping a latte. But it's fascinating that, over and over, we see that when people are confronted with their death or when they are in terrible, desperate need they... cry out to God. There must be something inside us that knows. And, if so, then it should be our highest priority in life to find out who he is and how that effects us both in this life and any potential life beyond this.

October 14, 2010 at 11:19 pm |
    • MsLynn

well said, Melissa. This is a beautiful story that touches the heart. whether 'believers' or 'unbelievers' there is a deep poignant human drama to this that speaks on a deep primal level. Here are 33 men all trapped under the Earth (and I feel just thinking about it like I would go absolutely nuts in that situation!) who have managed to survive. the commonalities are a cooperative assigning of jobs, a routine to sustain them and a sense of hope in a perilous situation. Regardless of what we espouse as religion, the mere facts of this rescue touches deeply. W can all relate with empathy and compassion and understanding. Let's celebrate that all were rescued and it is a testimony to the prevailing human spirit when there is tangible hope and we reach out to help and love one another in a simple act of being human.........

October 15, 2010 at 12:13 am |
  5. Lauren Du

My dear David Johnson, you cannot see the wind yet you can see and feel the effects of it, so too we who love the Lord Jesus Christ knows without a doubt that He is real; John chapter 21 verse 29 "Blessed are they that have not seen and yet have believed"
    "The Lord Jesus Christ IS the son of GOD yet He IS GOD was crucified and on the third day he rose again and is seated in heaven interceding for you and every man on earth. It is because of His great love for you that you are given grace to live every day. I appeal to you to accept the Lord Jesus Christ as your saviour and repent of your sins. Please read carefully and slowly Colossians chapter 2 from verse 2 to 10. Also John chapter 1 verse 29 and Hebrews 9 verse 27 "It is appointed once unto men once to die but after this the judgement."
    God exists in three persons which the human mind find hard to grasp but is true that God the father, God the son (The Lord Jesus Christ) and God the Holy Spirit are all one with three distinct functions. One day EVERY knee will bow and confess that JESUS CHRIST IS LORD !!! Glory to The King Of Kings !

October 14, 2010 at 11:15 pm |
    • David Johnson

@Lauren Du

You said, "My dear David Johnson, you cannot see the wind yet you can see and feel the effects of it, so too we who love the Lord Jesus Christ knows without a doubt that He is real"

Yes I can feel and see the effects of the wind. I can even measure its velocity and its direction. I can do none of these things with Jesus. The feeling in your heart, that you have for Jesus, does not appear to be any different than the feeling he Muslims have for their god and prophet. The Hindus feel the love of their gods in their hearts. The ~2000 different denominations of Christianity, all believe their god is the one true god and feel Him in their hearts. Why is your feeling special Lauren Du?

You most certainly have provided no evidence for your god.

Like most believers, you want to start the conversation with the assumption that god exists.

You then want to use the bible to tell me what god has said.

The problem with this, is that if you haven't proven there is a god. So, how am I to believe your bible is the word of this god?

Proving your god exists is Job #1. Do that, and I will listen!

Happy Trails!

October 15, 2010 at 1:08 am |
    • reallymom123

you exist because God created you. you didn't appear out of thin air. the elements didn't just appear, they were created. your house didn't build itself, it had a builder. your car didn't just appear in your driveway-it was built. the earth didn't just appear, it was created.

October 15, 2010 at 1:46 am |
    • smath

David,

So, since "proof" is out of the question, I begin to look at logical ramifications of each belief.

As someone who has scoured the Bible and the teaching of Christ, I can say that the statements of the Bible have an incredibly strong logical consistency, if you start with the presupposition "God exists and damn He's powerful."

On the flip side, the presupposition that God doesn't exist leaves huge logical holes such as "how did life begin," "why is there "love" in the world if we are solely products of evolution (or is there love?)" and even basic questions like how did matter form or where did all this energy for the big bang come from?

I'm not going to claim to be using Occam's razor here, but the principle is the same.

So... let it be known there are Christians that give these things thought. When I read about the shirts for these Miners I thought to myself "I'm glad these people felt that Jesus was with them, but is Jesus more with these miners than all those who did die?" just like a lot of you did. (And my parents worked for Campus Crusade)

October 15, 2010 at 2:18 am |
    • David Johnson

@reallymom123
      You said, "you exist because God created you. you didn't appear out of thin air. "

I exist, because of my parents. When a mommy and a daddy love each other very much...

And what or who created your god CatholicMom?

October 15, 2010 at 1:11 pm |
    • David Johnson

@smath

"I am a believer in Christ and agree with most of what you say. A lot of Christians use the circular arguments that can't hold up in court. However, you put it on Christians to prove God exists without making any sort of effort to prove that He does not exist. I understand this isn't something that you can test or prove, so why bother trying?"

I'm not real sure of your statement, but I will answer what I think you mean. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

If I tell you I have fairies living in my left shoe, I am making an extraordinary claim. You have every right to ask me for proof of my claim. It is not your burden to prove that the fairies do not exist.

Imagine if it was your burden. I could make up any silly thing and you would have to prove each of these false. Right?

So, it is the burden of the person making the extraordinary claim, to provide the poof his claim is true.

If I cannot provide any proof that the fairies are living in my shoe, you have the right to ignore my claim. I have no right to start rattling off fairy scripture, demanding you to believe it. Yes?

You said, "God doesn't exist leaves huge logical holes such as "how did life begin," "why is there "love" in the world if we are solely products of evolution (or is there love?)"

Early man feared death, and didn't understand much of what he saw around him. So, he invented god.

Fear was the god's begetter in this world. – Petronius

What makes it rain? God makes it rain. What makes the mountain rumble? God makes the mountain rumble. He is angry. What makes the sun race across the sky? The gods drive the sun across the sky. Who made the world? God made the world. Who made people? God made people.

Using god to fill in the gaps in man's knowledge is called: God of the gaps!
      We used our god to fill those huge logical holes you talked about. No wonder, that you find fewer of these logical holes, in a book that was written to fill them. Yes?

As time progressed, man's knowledge increased. We began to understand how things work. It was necessary to invoke god for less and less. God fills fewer gaps each passing day.

You spoke of Occam's Razor. Occam's Razor is a line of reasoning that says, all things being equal, the simplest answer is often correct.
      You want as little complexity in your answer as possible. God is infinitely complex. God should not be included in your answer.

Science does not yet know where the material for the singularity came from. Nor do we know how life started on our planet. Not knowing something, does not mean it defaults to "God did it". Remember, there was a time when it was thought the sun was driven across the sky by the gods.

Whatever we cannot easily understand we call God; this saves much wear and tear on the brain tissue. – Edward Abbey

Believers have the same problem, with their god. Where did He come from? If they say, He has always been, then I also claim that for my universe!

Stephan Hawking and other physicists are developing some pretty exciting ideas on the origin of the universe. Check out Hawking radiation and string theory. (google moment)

There are scientist working in the field of abiogenesis, (google moment)

Happy Trails Pardner!

October 15, 2010 at 2:30 pm |
  6. Jamie

Everystudent.com
    Everystudent.com
    Everystudent.com

Everystudent.com

October 14, 2010 at 11:12 pm |
  7. Thugliest

there is no god, the bible is fiction.

October 14, 2010 at 11:11 pm |
    • reallymom123

Have you ever read the Bible?

October 15, 2010 at 1:41 am |
  8. yani

Did anyone notice the star on the shirt is INVERTED???

October 14, 2010 at 11:11 pm |
  9. walt

Just think non believers, it is recorded that Jesus did not lie to save himself from a brutal death when he had the chance in front of his Roman judge. He could have lied and avoided this. This is a fact. Think again about what you would do if given the same "out". So- if he did not lie to save his life, wouldn't logic tell you that everything he said about himself and God's plan for us was true. Come on people, think. Use your own logic, the story is esay to understand.
    God created us with free will to make sure that our love for him, our creator was genuine, not forced. It is us that get guilt over our errors and things that embrass us if caught, God knows we are able to do evil and good. Think about what you would do if you talked bad about another friend and then saw that friend coming down the street. More than likely, you would turn around, duck into a shop, anything to avoid that friend. God loves you beside your nature- really, He originally o provided attonement each year for the Jewish people by a lamb of spotless coat, and the people asctually felt the removal of guilt from this. It is a cleansing for your mind and soul. But God had a plan to invite gentiles into salvation and provided himself in the form of a real man, so also to feel the mortal persons life and trials, temptations etc. The he sacrificed this spotless lamb ONCE and for ALL who would receive this attonement and call him Lord of their life. The Jewish people are the tree of the gentiles who are grafted in as a branch, but even the Jews will LOOK upon him who was pierced as Isaih reads, and someday will accept this Jesus as thier Messiah. It is really a simple story, profound yet simple for even a fool to understand. Make sure that you don't use your intellegence to miss this and perish, even miss this wonderful life – lost in Christ, who is all in all. It is Love that brought me, in the midst of a terminally ill child. It was not a crutch, but an incredible change that i can't explain fully, it is like If you saw me get run over by a bus, and survive, you would ask me what was it like, and you would believe me because you witnessed it. Well, I got run over and I can only tell you that it is real. Do you have the faith to sit in a chair you never saw anyone else sit in? Take that same faith, and ask Jesus to show you he is real, and then wait and watch what happens in your life next my friend. Be careful, you may have a change coming.
    I wrote this with the Holy Spirit and it is powerful to save.

October 14, 2010 at 11:05 pm |
    • David Johnson

@Walt

walt
      You said, "Just think non believers, it is recorded that Jesus did not lie to save himself from a brutal death when he had the chance in front of his Roman judge. He could have lied and avoided this. This is a fact. Think again about what you would do if given the same "out".

Unfortunately, we have only the gospel's word for this. The Gospels were written for the sole purpose, of establishing Jesus as the Messiah. They may be a tad bias.

you said, "So- if he did not lie to save his life, wouldn't logic tell you that everything he said about himself and God's plan for us was true. Come on people, think. Use your own logic, the story is esay to understand."

No, logic would not tell me that, because Jesus may have been mistaken. Dying for a thing, does not mean that thing is real. Lots of terrorists, blow themselves to bits, convinced they are going to heaven and receiving 72 virgins. Do you think that is true? Will they get their virgins? I bet you don't think so.

So I used my own logic and I don't agree with you.

Happy Trails!

October 15, 2010 at 12:53 am |
    • ncrain

How come the Holy Spirit allowed you to misspell "Isaiah"? The divine inspiration seems to be lacking

October 15, 2010 at 7:29 am |
  10. Rebecca

I thank GOD for this story. I am a true believer in JESUS as LORD AND SAVIOUR!!! And yes, he is GOD!!! None of us here on this message board were down there with those miners. They lived it, and one even said, He experienced God and the Devil. He said, GOD AND SATAN FOUGHT!!! SATAN LOST!! Apparently, all the miners BELIEVED, and are here to tell their stories. Once you have experienced the true and living GOD, NO ONE and covince you otherwise. GOD is real, and JESUS IS LORD. And one day, every knee shall bow to HIM!!!

October 14, 2010 at 11:00 pm |
    • Dave

What about the poor guys in the Sago mine? Why did God not save them?

October 14, 2010 at 11:12 pm |
    • Whoa

Rebecca,

"GOD AND SATAN FOUGHT!!! SATAN LOST!!"

According you your myth, I'd say Satan won - isn't Earth supposed to be his playground? If "God" would have won, they would be with him in 'heaven'...

October 15, 2010 at 12:11 am |
    • reallymom123

we are mortal. God has his own purpose for each one of us.

October 15, 2010 at 1:39 am |
    • David Johnson

@reallymom123

You should switch back to CatholicMom now. It suits you better.

October 15, 2010 at 11:47 am |
    • David Johnson

@reallymom123

You said, "we are mortal. God has his own purpose for each one of us."

What purpose do you suppose god has for the babies who die of starvation or dysentery from unclean water? What purpose does god have for children who haven't even lost their baby teeth, and are dying of cancer?

October 15, 2010 at 3:48 pm |
  11. Slim

There is just one thing i'll say about those even have the urge to insult God and Jesus Christ his son,well when all of you die someday surely u'll all know for sure what u are playing with....i rest my case curse me or whatever but u'll all pay for it now or at the Judgement day.....peace

October 14, 2010 at 10:50 pm |
    • David Johnson

@Slim

Curses don't work.

October 14, 2010 at 11:00 pm |
  12. TheDude

These posts have been a nice commentary on the character of the secular vs the spiritual. Very revealing.

If you dont believe in the possibility of a supreme being, just drop some good LSD.

October 14, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
    • doobismoobie

ain't that the truth. But you should believe that the LSD is true either. That's why it's called an hallucination

October 14, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
  13. Nelson

The atheist don't believe in God but they believe that we came from the monkies!!!! I believe in my heart that Jesus is the Lord and Our Savior.

October 14, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
    • doobismoobie

Actually we share a common ancestor with Chimps, Bonobos, Gorillas and Orangutangs. We're not decended from them, but that's a common misconception. It's been proven in all areas of science from DNA testing to Biology to Physics to neuro-biology to zoology. Every scientist worthy of the name ascribes to it. It's more a law than a theory at this point. Like Gravity. Evolution is not something you believe, it's something you understand.

October 14, 2010 at 10:59 pm |
    • reallymom123

The word of God and the teachings of Jesus Christ are also things you must understand:)

October 15, 2010 at 1:35 am |
    • Raison

@fakemom
      Pray for the truth. I did that, expecting an even stronger faith for I wanted to be even closer to God.

I was a fundamentalist at one time, but I needed help understanding the contradictions in the Bible, so I prayed to him first, asking for the real truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, and he answered my prayers by showing me that the Bible is nothing but the efforts of con-artists written to enslave the minds of helpless people who could not know that they were being lied to.
      Irony is too tame a word for it, don't you think?

It's pretty obvious once you start seeking the truth instead of expecting it to be handed to you on a shiny platter...
      Almost nothing in the Bible is true. People cover the globe looking for proof that would do the trick. Anything to keep the suckers happy in their little churches, cranking out the money and other kinds of support. But we are still waiting for that proof here. Some of us have spent years examining everything that attempts to support the lies.
      But instead we get proof of the lies, not proof of God.
      Irony again.

Almost all of religion can be proved to be false and deceptive.
      That religious texts are so often used as a tool to deceive, and the fact that so much of it seems custom-made for just that purpose, points to deception as being the prime purpose of the authors.
      It is the most likely explanation. Occam's Razor made with real irony.

Any "inspiration" is just misdirection, pointing away from those who seek the truth. Telling them that the "magical" proof is in their own heart, and to not seek it where they might discover something they might use to prosecute the con-artists and hold them accountable for what they do.
      Consider the fear of a con-artist who has fooled an entire village and worries about being found out. "No, God gave me those words! I did not write them! It was God! He guided my hand! Guided me to this place where so many of you needed to hear his words!" etc.

In return they grant "absolution" and "forgiveness", for they do not want to be anywhere near anything resembling accountability. Nope. That would be "bad". They might get killed for some of the things they do if anyone found out the truth.
      -–
      But some of them can believe the lies too. I do not want to paint everyone with the same brush unless it is accurate.
      -–
      The same goes for the Q'uran. A book of made-up stuff written to enslave the minds of anyone who did not know any better and could not tell the difference between an unknown lie and an unknown truth. They were superstltious and very desirous of having this, so someone made it up and gave it to them. They swallowed it whole, and now they choke the world along with all the other religions.

Anyone can issue "God's" orders, speaking for "God" himself as if they weren't really just thinking this stuff up in the bathroom or something....you can do it too. Just don't expect me or anyone who does not believe the basis for the system of lies and misdirection to follow what you say.
      We happen to require a bit more than just your say-so.

Religions take a dispicable and vicious advantage of the innocent and ignorant. The simple-minded are the sheep who are soooo easy to fool.
      The wolves are the ones who know this and prey on the sheep. That's in the Bible if you like. But show me the priest or pastor that likes that passage or does a sermon on his / her fellow wolves.
      Ha. Irony again.

No, you don't tell the sheep that they are invited to the meal to be the meal. You tell them they have already eaten and that they are safe forever.
      Then you prey on them as usual. They come back for more. Every day if you want. Just tell them that "God" wants it this way. So simple. So easy. They don't know any better and you might not either. But if you do you don't want them to know any better – that's where the threats come in. Superstltious fear can be very powerful indeed. It has murdered millions of people by proxy throughout history.

What? You never got the inside joke about the similarity of "prey" and "pray"?
      Some of them do. Expect them to be the worst ones. You might escape their clutches.

Seek the truth. Do it honestly and with both eyes open. Test and question everything as best you can.
      If you still believe after all that, I guess you are in pretty deep. May you find peace as the wolves devour you, your family, and everything you own and do....you are wolf droppings until you escape.
      I am trying to rescue people, too. But the number of people who do not want anyone escaping the "mine" is amazing. Everything revolves around keeping people in the hole.
      Good luck, fellow humans. I wish you all the best. We have a long ways to go before we are safe from madness.

October 15, 2010 at 4:29 am |
  14. nelson

God is good

October 14, 2010 at 10:42 pm |
    • doobismoobie

Needs a little salt if you ask me.

October 14, 2010 at 10:47 pm |
    • reallymom123

God is awesome!

October 15, 2010 at 1:34 am |
  15. Wisdom seeker

Btw, just because you believe something, doesn't mean it's the truth.
    But if you were to pursue what is the truth, you'd find out that it's written about and explained to every one of us in the most read book of all time – The Bible.
    Now the choice is up to you on whether you want to become smarter or not. I guarantee, you will become smarter when you read The Bible.
    So what are you gonna do ?? I dare you to stay dumb......

October 14, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
    • V

Please, if you are going to relate yourself to Jesus Christ and The Holy United Church can you be more kind? As a fellow Christian your tone and apologetics are not conducive for true salvation. I say this with love and respect for your relationship with God and The Church.

October 14, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
    • doobismoobie

Wisdom: Btw, just because you believe something, doesn't mean it's the truth.

First true thing you've said all day. Take it to heart. Then read something else, that book is OLD man. It was written for people from the 1st century. You should read it again though, and not just the parts you like. because according to that book you should stone people and keep slaves. Truly, it's dated.

October 14, 2010 at 10:46 pm |
    • Jamie

@Curious Thanks for summing up what I was going to say. I find it interesting that people assume there is no evidence outside of the bible that parallels the gospels and provide as you said OVERWHELMING evidence that Jesus existed.

To anyone who is interested in actually being educated on the subject I would recommend checking out the Case for Christ by Atheist-turned-Christian Lee Strobel. Lee was actually a journalist who was trying to disprove the existence of Jesus Christ and in fact found overwhelming evidence for Jesus' existence. As he listed in his book there are over 70+ sources outside the bible that talk about Jesus. They have even found archeological evidence.

Just another little tidbit for the skeptics who I am sure are going to dispute the intelligence, authority or ideas that Lee writes about here is a little about his background. Lee was educated at the University of Missouri (Bachelor of Journalism degree, 1974) and Yale Law School (Master of Studies in Law degree, 1979). He was a professional journalist for 14 years at The Chicago Tribune and other newspapers, winning Illinois' top honors for investigative reporting (which he shared with a team he led) and public service journalism from United Press International. After a nearly two-year investigation of the evidence for Jesus, Lee received Christ as his forgiver and leader in 1981.

While I am not trying to insult @David of @Doobie 's intelligence, I am willing to bet neither of them are well informed when it comes to Christianity or the life of Jesus Christ. Educate yourselves, do some research, and read up on the subject before making an ignorant comment such as "What evidence do you have, outside the bible, that Jesus existed? And you can't say you have that little feeling in your heart."

October 15, 2010 at 12:57 am |
    • reallymom123

really doobie, does it really say that? because if it does i would like you to show me where. you are just spewing lies trying to make yourself appear intelligent and educated in Bible teachings and you obviously are not. you have to read the Bible completely front to back, not just parts here and there to suit your needs.

October 15, 2010 at 1:32 am |
  16. Rosalie

That's a beautiful story, it brought tears to my eyes. If this meant something to all the miners, why do the atheists have to make fun of it? Wait till you are trapped in a bad situation for 70 days and see if you might not grab onto the hand of God for comfort. Accidents happen, God placed an evangelical preacher down there with them, and they all came through it. These miners are not ashamed of Jesus Christ, His gospel helped bring them through their ordeal, God bless them all, Amen.

October 14, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  17. Great!

I love it! I support anything that unites humanity! All the negative comments really just are not necessary. If you don't have something nice to say about these amazingly strong (physically and mentally) men and how they choose to express their strength, hope and faith then find a real cause to get all worked up over. Goodness!

October 14, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
    • Raison

I have a real cause to pursue. It is the eradication of false teachings, lies, etc.
      But I agree that those people who helped get the miners out deserve great praise for working so hard to save their fellow human beings from the possibility of a horrible death.

I am glad those guys got out of there. The T-shirt thing is pathetic, though. But who cares? They are safe.
      Now if only people could come together like that to save humanity from the madness of religion....I would feel something like hope for all humanity.

Just to let you know, CNN posted this article here on their own, knowing that many people would argue over the religious aspects of the rescue and those dumb t-shirts.
      If you have a problem with people arguing about religion, you may consider going elsewhere, but feel free to post more stuff.

There are so many other people in the world who do not have vast teams of workers trying to rescue them. Their plights are not always known. Yet many are known, and all the powerful countries, people, organizations, etc. do nothing to help.
      Who has the ability to help these people? Not me. But others do. I ask that they seek out those who need help instead of bribing politicians to do evil things to our country in the name of some religious value or the name of greed.
      We need good changes. T-shirts are not all that great a step in that direction. Religion already has the world in the grip of madness, we don't need anymore t-shirts to remind us of this fact.

But, yeah, let's all be glad someone was rescued this time. It's always good to hear good news.

October 15, 2010 at 3:15 am |
  18. MyLove

Meant to say I pray that God...not the

October 14, 2010 at 10:34 pm |
  19. MyLove

@Jim Mattison

BTW, Jesus is not God! He never pretended to be God nor the son of God.

He is God!
    You are lying or mis informed. I pray the God will reveal by the Holy Spirit his truth to you.

October 14, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
    • doobismoobie

*sigh* You won't even look it up will you....

October 14, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
    • Frank

I take it you haven't read the Gospels.

October 15, 2010 at 3:19 am |
  20. Wisdom seeker

Some of the ignorant comments made here about Christianity fall into the category of hate-crimes. (And you know who you are because we were all born with a conscience!) Nowadays, any derogatory comments made about any religion is intolerable. I've heard that many people are following through with the process of reporting abuse and prosecuting those posting on comment boards like this. Hmm, good idea. So next time you have the urge to spew your hatred, don't do it about Christianity !!

October 14, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
    • doobismoobie

is it a hate crime to laugh at people? Because just yesterday when I was worshiping my god (see above) some people came and stole my cheezwiz. Right out of my hand too! I couldn't believe it. When I told them they had to respect my religious beliefs, no matter how stupid they seem, they just pointed and laughed. I tell ya, I prayed that the Super Humans would come down and put them in the Laundry Basket (nooooo not the laundry basket!! Noooooo!!!) but they didn't! But my faith is still strong, have no fear.

October 14, 2010 at 10:41 pm |