home
RSS
Two hosts walk off The View over O'Reilly Islamic Center comments
October 14th, 2010

Two hosts walk off The View over O'Reilly Islamic Center comments

“The View” has turned into quite the drama fest over the years, and Thursday’s show was no different.

The fuss this time surrounded Fox News personality Bill O'Reilly, who appeared on “The View” to talk about politics and his new book "Pinheads and Patriots.”

His appearance started out reasonably enough, discussing the upcoming elections. O'Reilly didn't make predictions, but called the vote a referendum on President Obama. A bit later he brought up the proposed Islamic center in New York, which is set to be built close to ground zero.

Read the full story on CNN's Marquee Blog

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: 'Ground zero mosque' • TV

1. GSA

Who really cares what these 3 think. The Mosque is being built legally and they have every right to build there, protest and cry all you want and maybe it will be moved to another location but there is nothing wrong with building it there. O'Reilly has an abundance of degrees and education and yet is still a total moron, says a lot about the American education system. You can apparently be considered by many to have a high level of intelligence yet fail to see and analyze a situation from all sides and just stick to a political ideology or party.

October 15, 2010 at 10:31 am |
  2. mary

Until we can understand that Whoopi had a reaction to something and expressed it thru walking out, we will never put down the race card in our hearts. We expected people to react a certain way and when that way is different from our thoughts of "norm" or "acceptable" we criticize over and over.
    In my eyes, Whoopi was sensitive to something that was said.
    She did not resort to harming anyone. Why do we have to react to everyone's actions when the real statement that she expressed was SENSITIVITY!!!!!
    People need to open their hearts and their minds and rationalize what they see before they react. We are all wrong for jumping on the bandwagon without thinking and posting remarks about both O'Reilly and Whoopi. Before there can be PEACE there needs to be Tolerance for Uniqueness and Understanding over that Uniqueness that can only be done by thinking out what the intentions were. Whoopi displayed an intention of Sensitivity. O'Reilly and everyone else should have simply sat in a moment of silence....and they should have went to commercial....PERiOD

October 15, 2010 at 10:04 am |
    • Kate

@mary

Ummm, no-one played the race card. It had nothing to do with race. It's got everything to do with the fact Goldberg speaking to serious topics is about as sane as O'Donnell speaking.

Just sayin'

October 15, 2010 at 10:25 am |
    • Frogist

@mary: There is no doubt that Whoopi and Behar were offended. There is no doubt that they should feel an attack on their sensitivities. But their reaction was over-the-top to such a small slight that was not even aimed at them personally. Furthermore, they are hosts of a talk show. To refuse to do their job in this instance was unnecessary and unprofessional. If they walk out then, they have closed the door on discussion. And it no longer matters if they disagree, because O'Reilly's opinion is the only one heard. If someone is so overly sensitive when dealing with controversial topics then maybe hosting a talk show isn't right for them.

As for the topic of sensitivity... people throw that word around a lot these days without considering whether it should be applicable. Sure, people are allowed to feel emotions about a subject. But it is only right to ask whether their actions fit the emotional reaction. The actions you take upon experiencing said emotion show what kind of person you are. If it is used to excuse petty tantrums, belittling someone else, infringing on someone's rights, or violence, then what is being called for is not sensitivity, but wholesale acceptance of immature behaviour. These days it seems people use a call for sensitivity as a way to push a wedge between people rather than as a means to understand the other person's point of view. So while I understand your call for sensitivity, I'm not sure it is warranted in this case.

October 15, 2010 at 11:57 am |
  3. Frogist

Bill O'Reilly is a bullying sham who is neither reporter nor interviewer. And he deliberately chooses to be incendiary with his language. Having said that, Behar and Goldberg should not have walked off in that way. If you are a reporter of any caliber you let your guest speak and then when they pull the same old tricks of saying stuff only to get a rise out of you, you confront them on it and get them to speak the truth of what they mean. You can't lose your cool or you end up looking worse than your @-h0le guest.
    Fact of it is O'Reilly was being inaccurate and deliberately provocative by saying "muslims attacked us on 9/11". While it is technically true, it is, as Walters said, incorrect not to make the distinction between all muslims and extremist muslims. If O'Reilly had said, "men attacked us on 9/11" it would still have been correct but just as misleading. And if he was an intelligent, level-headed political an@lyst worth his salt, he would recognise that. But an intelligent, level-headed political an@lyst would not have walked off in a temper like Whoopi and Behar did either.
    Look I understand this is just a fluff daytime show most of the time, but if you wannt to have guests like O' Reilly whose MO is to push your buttons, have a strategy on how to deal with him. Jon Stewart does it fantastically.

October 15, 2010 at 9:38 am |
    • Kate

@Frogist

Anderson Cooper would have torn him to pieces, one by one, logically and implacably.

(And for the record, for me to like a journalist is up there on the level of me saying something nice about the Catholic church)

Just notin'

October 15, 2010 at 10:23 am |
    • Frogist

@Kate: AC would have made fast work of O'Reilly's "facts". Too true.
      Will you be sending your JW army over to Whoopi's house now? 😉

October 15, 2010 at 10:46 am |
  4. patriot one

It was unprofessional for the two women to have walked off the show. Their action has to give pause to any future guests who may be concerned that their "views" will result in the same reaction from the host(s).

October 15, 2010 at 8:51 am |
  5. jacobTThompson

I read this hillarious satire of a Tea Party protester's visit to a controversial mosque in Wisconsin...pretty funny...someone get this to OREILY and see what he has to say!

October 15, 2010 at 7:17 am |
  6. Methusalem

I am not surprised of Whoopi's "sister" act. I never liked this woman, and I am black. Why do some women get angry and join the leftist feminist movement while being unattractive and less feminin?!

October 15, 2010 at 6:40 am |
  7. kim2chee

I wish I could make a youtube video of the clip of the two middle-aged hosts Behar and Goldberg mouthing off and then walking off. Then superimpose it with Christine O'Donnell's voice:
    "I'm not a witch. I'm you. I like you if you agree with me. You see, if I don't like what you say, I immediately file it under 'hateful speech'. And if you continue, I will raise my voice to the heavens then walk off, jiggly parts and all." Pause for a sweet smile. "Believe me, as long as you clap and agree to whatever I say, I'm the most tolerant person on earth. You see, I'm not a witch."

October 15, 2010 at 2:30 am |
  8. im president charley

maybe they walked off the set because of that neckflap he's got goin on. yikes.

October 15, 2010 at 12:38 am |
  9. JennyJ

The View has only one view. Although I am not in agreement with all of O'Reilly's views, he stated a fact, that the majority of people polled do not agree with the location of the new mosque. Period. Joy Behar should be fired. She showed a complete lack of professionalism and completely undermined her role as a talk show host. I am disappointed at Whoopi for walking off as well. The only true professional in this show, whom I completely adore is Barbara Walters. Joy and Whoopi, completely out of her league!

October 15, 2010 at 12:09 am |
    • Frogist

@JennyJ: The "fact" that he stated was not that a majority of people do not agree with building the islamic center (not a mosque) near the wtc site. His inaccurate statement was that "muslims attacked us on 9/11". While his statement is a fact in the most technical sense, it is not the whole truth.

October 15, 2010 at 9:49 am |
  10. MIMI

BAHAR AND WHOOPI SHOWED HOW UNPROFESSIONAL THEY TRULY ARE .... THANK GOD BAHAR ISN'T TEACHING OUR CHILDREN !!!SHE IS A DISGRACE AND UNLESS ONE AGREES WITH HER SHE BECOMES LOUD AND MAKES RUDE COMMENTS .. POOR TEACHER AND LOUSY COMEDIAN ... WORST OF ALL .. TERRIBLE TAL;K SHOW HOST
    IM NOT AN O'REILLY FAN BUT I MUST SAY HE CONDUCTED HIMSELF LIKE A GENTLEMAN AND KEPT HIS COMPOSURE IN SPITE OF THOSE TWO DIPS ..

October 14, 2010 at 8:59 pm |
  11. TheRationale

Family Guy summed up that show best – they just had five chickens flapping around making unintelligible noises.

October 14, 2010 at 8:43 pm |
  12. Kate

I have little interest in the histrionics of a child-molester's apologist, which Whoopi Goldberg absolutely is.

I have to wonder if she'd have been cheering Christine O'Donnell, since both of them seem to have the same views surrounding minimizing rape.

She's not a star – she's simply a pedophile's enabler. Anything she had to say to O"Reilly, good or otherwise, was totally pointless as she has no credibility in my eyes. How anyone can watch that woman and not need to shower afterwards is beyond me.

Just a shame she had to ride the coat tails of Joy Behar, whose CNN skits are usually hilarious.

Just sayin'

October 14, 2010 at 6:00 pm |
    • David Johnson

I did think Whoopie was outstanding in her role on Star Trek.

Well, what about the time she defended Ted Danson for dressing in blackface. That was noble.

Never mind.

October 14, 2010 at 7:53 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

Doncha' forget her role as Singing Nun, Dave 🙂

October 15, 2010 at 1:50 am |
  13. box211

They were obviously hoping to draw the acclaim of the many anti-O'Reilly viewers tuned in to this show.
    It does show their lack of grace, composure and ability to discuss a controversial topic with someone as bright as Bill.

October 14, 2010 at 5:46 pm |
    • Raison

"as bright as Bill"
      HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
      I guess you were being ironic or something...lmao..that's great...hahahaha

October 14, 2010 at 7:33 pm |
    • David Johnson

Please don't post that again. My sides hurt from laughing.

At first a little bit of throw up came up in my throat...

October 14, 2010 at 7:50 pm |
    • Bill

To Raison and David Johnson, who are obviously the same person by their writing style. (you gave yourself away with the ...s in both of your posts; both posts being in the same vain of box211s post being funny) Bill O'Reilly has a B.A.from Marist College, an M.A from Boston University, and a M.P.A.from Harvard University. What is your level of education? You weren't even bright enough to reply as 2 different people and get away with it.

October 15, 2010 at 6:38 am |
    • Raison

@Bill

Bill, since you are trying so hard, I will cut you some slack. I am not David Johnson and never have been. We are not the same person.
      Proving this might be difficult, but it is possible. I can only state the truth and hope you can believe me. Your reasoning is pretty bad on this because we are only laughing at the same or similar thing – your B.O'R.
      😀
      David is my friend, but laughter is something we can all do at the foibles of your Bill O'Reilly. Foibles are funny are they not?
      Any sense of humor in there, Bill? No laughter? C'mon, Bill O'Reilly doesn't make mistakes? Doesn't ever say anything rude?
      Always lets other people talk? Always accepts the truth and speaks honestly?
      Now can you laugh? He is only human, Bill. Get a fucking grip.

October 15, 2010 at 6:56 am |
    • Muneef

Wow Two in One? Hmmm

Well what to say other than that " Head&Shoulders is already Three in One "? so guess every thing possible although have a doubt...of those Two being One..

October 18, 2010 at 9:42 pm |
  14. Diane

Bravo Bill O'Reilly for saying what we are all thinking. SHAME on you Joy and Whoopie....you only want your one-sided view!!!!!!

October 14, 2010 at 5:37 pm |
  15. David Johnson

O'Reilly is a Jacka_ss.

October 14, 2010 at 4:47 pm |
    • boing

you can't say jacka-ss? wat? better add it to the list....! yet ass is just fine. just fine. a fine piece of ass. lmao! LOL

October 14, 2010 at 7:30 pm |
    • Mariya

O'Reilly is absolutely right, if any of you would loose a family member on 9/11 would you like the ides of islamic center being build right there? I dont think so

October 15, 2010 at 6:15 pm |
  16. jordan

The only point that Joy and Whoopi made is that they are extremely immature, narrow minded, and completely lack self control! Bill O'Reilly specifically chooses guests to appear on his show, whom have a DIFFERENT VIEW

October 14, 2010 at 4:34 pm |
    • adams

right on

October 14, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
    • adams

not that i can stand o'reilly at all- but it does seem kind of ironic that the hosts of the view would leave when offended- no matter how offensive the guest.

October 14, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  17. O'Rielly

Never liked this show....I watch O'Rielly from time to time but here is a big clue for the VIEW ....if you don't like someone then don't invite them to the show...since apparently this show,in order to be on it , you have to only agree with everything that the hosttess says....that is why that show is never on my TV ...have better things to do like watch the grass grow

October 14, 2010 at 4:29 pm |
  18. Nonimus

Ratings

October 14, 2010 at 4:22 pm |
  19. vaughan

Sad part of this story is that Whoopi and Bahar walked back onto the set. Both are a disgrace as is their show which they expect to be only their "View". Why the show is even still on the air is beyond my comprehension.

October 14, 2010 at 4:15 pm |
    • DInk

I agree – the views of Joy Bahar and Whoopi Goldberg are of a small minority – yet they act like they are mainstream.

It is a shame this is posted as a balanced cross section, multi point of view show – when it is all one view and a nod to sensibility with Elizabeth.

October 14, 2010 at 8:12 pm |
  20. Raison

OMG!....I don't understand why they invited such a major tard in the first place!!!

October 14, 2010 at 4:00 pm |