home
RSS
October 14th, 2010

Will the rescued miners' renewed faith endure? Maybe, say scholars

Omar Reygadas, 56, kneels down with a Bible after reaching the surface.

CNN's Moni Basu filed this report:
They survived for more than two months a half mile under the Earth's surface, and when the 33 trapped miners in Chile came out, many of them praised God.

Mario Sepulveda said he buried 40 years of his life down there. "I was with God, and I was with the devil. They fought, and God won."

Mario Gomez used to get annoyed that his wife asked him to say daily prayers. But trapped in darkness, he revisited his relationship with God and asked that a crucifix and statuettes of saints be sent down so the miners could construct a shrine.

That the miners found God in their moments of fear is not unusual. It happens to survivors of horrific events, hostages, prisoners and soldiers. Everyone has heard the phrase: There are no atheists in foxholes.

But how many of these "crisis conversions" endure?

Not many, if you ask theologian Tom Long.

"For a small percentage, this is a genuinely life-changing experience," said Long, who teaches at the Candler School of Theology at Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia. "For most people, it wanes and they settle back into their old way of life."

Long recalled how churches across America were packed on the Sundays that followed the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001. He was asked then by journalists whether that was a sign of a religious renaissance in the United States. He predicted no - and he was right.

"There has been no upsurge in church membership," he said.

How long a renewal of faith lasts depends on whether the person was spiritually inquisitive or restless before the crisis event, Long said. In that case, the crisis becomes a catalyzing moment rather than an originating one, and the chances of that person continuing on that journey are much greater.

Much also depends on whether that person seeks out a community of people who reinforce the newfound faith.

Ralph Hood, a psychology professor at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, said many people come out of crisis thinking: "God has a purpose for me."

But if they cannot find the proper support group to help them continue to frame their lives in terms of God, they are likely to slip back into their former selves. They need a church, a mosque, a synagogue. They need interaction with others who will help nurture their newfound faith, said Hood, co-author of "The Psychology of Religion: An Empirical Approach."

Terry Anderson, who was taken hostage in 1985 by Shiite militants in Lebanon for seven long years, continues to hold onto his rediscovered Catholicism more than two decades later.

He was brought up in the church but lost his religion somewhere along the way. He was starting to rethink his faith when he was kidnapped. For him, captivity served as a catalyst.

He likes to tell a story of how one of his guards asked him if he needed anything and his answer was: "I want a book. I want a Bible."

He read it cover-to-cover for seven years.

He told a Kentucky audience earlier this year that he was still on his faith journey, according to an article posted on the Campbellsville University website.

In the early 1980s, the Israeli motivational speaker Yossi Ghinsberg got lost and survived three weeks in the Bolivian jungle. The son of an atheist said in a 2006 CNN interview that he could never go back to life the way he knew it.

"There is one moment in anybody's life when you go down on your knees and you cry for help," he said. "It's like in the core, just like survival. You don't need to learn it. Also faith. So I found that, and that makes life a totally different experience."

If anyone should know about enduring conversions, it's Chuck Colson, the former aide to President Richard Nixon who entered a guilty plea to Watergate-related charges.

He entered Alabama's Maxwell Prison in 1974 as a new Christian and when he got out, he founded Prison Fellowship Ministries, the world's largest outreach to prisoners.

"In my life, I was certainly converted to Christ at a time of stress," Colson said. "I am stronger in my faith today than I was then."

Colson said that faith-based programs have helped lower recidivism rates. To him, that's evidence of prisoners following a path of God.

"What we are dealing with here is a lasting phenomena," he said. "Once people have made that turn in their life, once they have understood what it is to follow Christ, they don't want to turn back.

Colson, like the rest of the world, watched the televised rescue of the 33 trapped miners in Chile this week. He watched some of them drop to their knees and make the sign of the cross.

They must have had the same feeling that Colson had when he walked out of jail, he thought.

"I'm free. It took my breath away," he said. "I know just what was going through their minds when they came out of that mine shaft. They faced life and death - and they knew what life meant."

That's different than praying to God or reading the Bible once in a while, Colson said. That's when you connect the dots.

- Moni Basu

Filed under: Chile • Christianity • South America

1. Jeff

Since when does the media get to decide what level of faith is acceptable to anyone? It's none of your business.

October 18, 2010 at 7:02 am |
  2. ib42

Actually, the best we can and should do is understand that God is unknowable. All the formulas and stories made up by fearful humans, all the lucrative trips to the other side and every shred of delusion must end when a child suffers and dies. Pretty straightforward.
    Without human beings, the violence and beauty of nature would go on uninterrupted and smoothly. No input is required from us. All we can have are opinions, speculation and lots of guesswork.
    Concentrate on reaching higher ground in consciousness. The rest will take care of itself.

October 17, 2010 at 9:48 pm |
    • Richard

ib42- God can be known. We might not be able to comprehend Him completely but we can know (and sometimes even understand) what He chooses to reveal about Himself.

To take it one step further, ib42, you and I can know God personally. The real question to each of us: Do we want to know Him? Are we willing to change the way we think about the world and how we live this life that has been given to us? To live for Him first and then for others?

October 18, 2010 at 9:49 am |
  3. Muneef

What ever is happening bad is because of our own doings and not by God, we have messed up things for our selfs disobeyed every thing we told not to do or are to do and in the end when every thing goes out of control we blame God? We make our decisions we have to face the consequences with out blames to God! God only does God and the bad is caused by us our actions.

October 17, 2010 at 9:17 pm |
  4. Jesus is King

Psalm 46
    1 God is our refuge and strength,
    an ever-present help in trouble.
    2 Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way
    and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,
    3 though its waters roar and foam
    and the mountains quake with their surging.

October 17, 2010 at 5:02 pm |
  5. 19 in New Mexico

@ Alex:
    Alex, take it from a 19 year old. Just cause I cant see my brain doesnt mean I dont have one. Just cause I cant see the wind doesnt mean I cant feel its power. You are blind to Gods existence cause you want proof with your own eyes and not eyes of faith that he exists. You lower your intellect by saying you are proof that there is no God but you evolved. Evolved from what? From what did you evolve from? Cause no matter what you say, you, in your own strange belief, began from somewhere although you have no idea where. You might be like all the Darwin followers and say we evolved from a big soup that turned into monkeys that started to lounge in trees who then fell off the tree, hurt their back, claim they cant work anymore and become man. Your belief is rather pathetic. Where did your soup and Big Bang come from? Please, if you're going to speak, speak with authority. Or has your brain still not evolved so that reasoning is a possibility? Evolution is a myth and cant be proven because no one that believes in evolution can figure out where life, energy and matter all started from. The blind leading the blind.

October 17, 2010 at 3:16 pm |
    • reallymom123

excellent point, they need to pray to have their eyes opened like Paul:)

October 17, 2010 at 4:19 pm |
    • Jim

Even if there wasn't a shred of evidence supporting the theory of evolution, which there is, the Christian creation myth is still completely fantastical.
      The world is not 6,000 years old, it wasn't created in six days and no talking snakes were involved in the process. Similarly, a six hundred year old man did not build a wooden boat large enough to hold two of every type of animal on the planet.
      If you believe these things solely on the basis that they were written in a book by desert nomads 2,000 years ago, then you either lack the ability to think rationally or are suspending that ability in order to buy into a self-serving collective delusion.

October 17, 2010 at 8:25 pm |
    • 19 in New Mexico

@ Jim
      The fact that you are an intelligent human being is proof that you were created by a Grand Creator just like my house was created by someone.
      The earth may be millions of years old, but human chronology proves that mankind has been in existence for a little more than 6,000 years. You cant prove other wise.
      Our universe, heaven and earth, was indeed created in 6 days. However, they are not our 24 hour days but creative days that belong to God. One creative day equals 1,000 years to God. Read your bible and study it appropriately.
      The bible was indeed written down for us by man, but it was inspired by Gods Holy spirit to have it written perfectly for us. "All scriptures is inspired of God" 2Timothy 3:16. If God has the ability and power to create the universe and to create a simple blade of grass, do you not think its possible for Him to make sure that his word, with his holy spirit, is kept perfectly written throughout all time? To think that God cannot do this is to say that you, you as a human being, is unable to keep accurate records of your accounts. Mankind keeps accurate records all the time. God, who is perfect, can obviously keep his holy book the bible in perfect order. And by the way, a talking snake was not used to have the process of creation made. The serpant, as identified in the book of Genesis, was used as a tool by Satan the Devil to deceive Eve into sin. The snake had no power of its own to do so. Satan did that himself. Ever hear of ventriloquism?

October 17, 2010 at 9:03 pm |

@ 19 in New Mexico and Jacob
      I am so inspired by these two young people boldly sharing their faith and knowledge in the Word of God. God Bless
      both of you. It has been an amazing day watching these conversations unfold and you guys have stayed strong. Alas, I am in Florida so my work here is done. I am sure I will see you two on here again. Good night and God Bless:)

October 17, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  6. val

I rest my case good day everyone.

October 17, 2010 at 1:43 pm |
    • Alex

Rest your case? Way to go! This is your statement: God exists. Period. No data. No formula. No theory. Nothing. Just your word.

October 17, 2010 at 1:48 pm |
    • Jacob

@ Alex
      I will support val's true statement with something i said earlier: if you are so against religion prove to me that god did not create this universe. i can prove god exists easily.
      1. God has always been here
      2. of course you said no to the above statement and heres where i prove you wrong
      3. if you said the universe has always existed and is has always been expanding... your wrong... the thing is... matter isnt infinite and neither is time.
      4. If you said the above statement was false ill prove it to you: If i said i would give you a chocolate bar whenever you flicked a light switch on and off an infinite amount of times would you ever get the chocolate? no...secondly matter isnt infinite either... to prove this im going to use....a pen.... now how many times would i have to multiply the pen to get an infinite amount? its impossible....
      5. after proving you wrong you of corse will say "well that doesnt mean god exists pppsshhh." well tell me then if something exists without matter it cannot be seen... its omnipresent....If something exists without time it has never nor will never change... so tell me... what sounds like something that cannot be seen, is omnipresent... and has never changed? one word: God
      6. well Alex also to tell you im not a preacher, im not a 40 year old that lives in his mom's basement... im a 14 year old teen with more common sense and knowledge than you when it comes to ruling how this all happened, where we all came from ect... have a nice day

October 17, 2010 at 3:08 pm |
  7. rene

See what they say here in Chile aboout miner #34:
    Miner #34.- I am a lucky man. I was not at the mine the day of accident. I wake up with some stomach problem then I spent all that morning in the bathroom.
    Wife.- Lucky man?, see the 33 others: All of them received big money from Farkas (an excentric millionaire). They were invited to Greek for vacations with their wives. Also from Jamaica. The goverment will give them new houses and cars. Their children will hav free education. And YOU stupid...IN THE BATHROOM.

October 17, 2010 at 1:33 pm |
    • Smite Me

LOL 🙂

October 17, 2010 at 1:59 pm |
    • Alex

That was a really good one. LOL!

October 17, 2010 at 2:56 pm |
  8. val

you got nothing Alex? or maybe you just gave up. Anyway have a bless day.

October 17, 2010 at 1:15 pm |
    • reallymom123

As a follower of Christ, we are to show love in every situation. When we are talking or teaching about Christ to those who do not know Christ, we are to go to them in peace and love. We are not to fight or provoke our brothers and sisters. We have to examine everything we do and say. Fighting and arguing will only push them further away. We need to lift all of our brothers and sisters so one day they can know the love of Christ. God Bless.

October 17, 2010 at 1:33 pm |
  9. val

I'm going to say yes, because I have never seen Jesus just like you have nerve seen all the scientis theory. This not a debate, believe what you want to believe you will see the truth someday.

October 17, 2010 at 1:09 pm |
  10. Alex

I have not seen in my entire life not even a morsel of evidence of god's existence.

October 17, 2010 at 1:06 pm |
    • reallymom123

My friend, you are proof that God exists. You have a purpose in this world and God does love you. In fact, God loves Alex so much that he gave His only son to die on the cross so that Alex would not perish but have everlasting life. All Alex has to do is accept His love. It is not hard.

October 17, 2010 at 1:14 pm |
    • Alex

Accept what? Your neurosis? No thanks. I pass. I am proof of no god at all. I am just sheer evolution in action.

@val: As a scientist myself, I can live my life accepting that I don't know everything. But that is OK with me. That is the beauty of it. You think god exist? Show me empirical evidence.

October 17, 2010 at 1:47 pm |
    • reallymom123

You may turn away from God, but He still loves you.

October 17, 2010 at 2:03 pm |
    • Alex

Who's he? I don't see anyone. Sorry.

October 17, 2010 at 2:06 pm |
    • reallymom123

you are not seeing because you are not looking.

October 17, 2010 at 2:10 pm |
    • Alex

I think you are assuming I have my eyes closed. I assure they are wide open and I don't anyone here. Just my self. Oh, and my little Betta fish.

October 17, 2010 at 2:18 pm |
    • Know What

reallymom123

"you are not seeing because you are not looking."

Paul of Tarsus was not looking when he supposedly had his 'apparition' (nor were many others who claim godly visits). This "God" just liked Paul better?

If this "God" is All-Knowing, as is claimed, it knows exactly what will convince each one of us of its existence. If it is All-Loving, as is claimed, it would do that.

October 17, 2010 at 2:25 pm |
    • 19 in New Mexico

October 17, 2010 at 3:13 pm |
    • Know What

19 in New Mexico,
      "Evolution is a myth and cant be proven because no one that believes in evolution can figure out where life, energy and matter all started from."

– Evolution has *nothing* to say about the beginnings of the universe. You need to learn more.

– Just because we haven't figured something out yet doesn't mean, "god did it". People once thought that a god lived in the nearby volcano, and, when angry, caused it to erupt. A god made water fall from the sky. A god in a chariot carried the sun across the sky each day. We learned facts to account for volcanic eruptions, rainfall and sunrise/sunset.

October 17, 2010 at 3:31 pm |
    • reallymom123

Alex, you are not looking for God

Know What, Paul was a Pharisee and he knew the law. He was out to kill and imprison Christians when he was struck blind. Also, God can harden and soften hearts for his purpose as demonstrated with the exodus. It seems you may have a little knowledge of the Bible, but not enough to argue. When you actually study the Word of God, then come and make your argument.

October 17, 2010 at 4:04 pm |
    • 19 in New Mexico

@ Know What
      Ok. Lets talk with authority. Answer me this: Many people believed that Hitler, David Korish, Egyptian Pharoahs and many other men were gods. Does this truly dismiss the fact that there is One and Only true God?
      Evolution teaches that man evolved from a species correct? From where did that first "organism" come from? What was the origin of that specie?
      Evolution teaches origin. From where or what did man "originate" from?
      Did animals evolve too? If so, from what or where?
      How about microscopic organisms. Did they too evolve? If so, from what or where?
      Its a fact that the teaching of evolution is limited to man and man only while dismissing and even ignoring the millions of other living organisms that surround us day to day. Evolution is very limited and extremely non-factual in that there is truly no proof whatsoever to prove that it is true. Digging up bones and forcing them to read something that is not there is about as sure as rolling a dice.
      By the way, where did the heavens and earth come from? Where did the energy for all these universal bodies to exist come from? Sounds to me that your not believing in a God that exists is limited to your pure stubborness to realize that a Grand Creator of all things made you and everything else around.

October 17, 2010 at 4:24 pm |
    • reallymom123

The problem here is that the Anti-God people sit in barnes and noble, drink their coffee and read bits and pieces of physics and theory books written by people who don't completely understand it themselves. Then they try to disprove the Bible as incorrect when they have never even studied it. They just pick out bits and pieces and take things out of context to make themselves sound right. If you want to know the truth, you must study the Bible daily. How can you disprove something you have never studied.

October 17, 2010 at 4:38 pm |
    • Know What

19 in New Mexico,
      "Its a fact that the teaching of evolution is limited to man and man only while dismissing and even ignoring the millions of other living organisms that surround us day to day."

Heheheh, Yes, Evolution is only taught to humans... the lower life forms just wouldn't understand 🙂

Seriously though, you have so much misinformation about the study of evolution, I wouldn't know where to start to bring you up to par. You can try reading a book or two about it... or take a class. But with your current knowledge, don't bother arguing against it.

October 17, 2010 at 4:43 pm |
    • Know What

reakktmom123,
      "They just pick out bits and pieces and take things out of context to make themselves sound right."

Believers do this *all the time* - whatever their point may be, they'll find a Bible quote to back it up - and argue among themselves about the 'real' meaning.

If you are not sincere enough to pursue reading about contradictions and inaccuracies in the Bible (as suggested on one web site by Alex above, or numerous others), and continue to simply believe the myths, legends and superst!tions, that is certainly your right. You really can't claim that it is the truth, however.

October 17, 2010 at 4:56 pm |
    • Know What

reallymom123,

...sorry I massacred your name

October 17, 2010 at 4:57 pm |
    • reallymom123

Like I said, I want you to tell me the contradictions in the Bible. Have you ever read the Bible and found contradictions yourself or do you just go by what other people say?

October 17, 2010 at 5:11 pm |
    • 19 in New Mexico

@ Know What
      You know, I may be young and am still learning, but I will not use my youth as an excuse for not learning. As a matter of fact, I learned not long ago that bankers never teach their employees about counterfeit money. They always teach by using the real deal. REAL money so that when the counterfeit money pops up, its easily spotted and thrown out. Same with evolution. I dont have to study the theory of evolution to know that is false. I know the truth about the origin of man simply by the proof that exists that an intelligent being creating all things. So yes, take your theory and rely on it but just remember, its counterfeit and you use it to steal away the truth about God, the creator of all things.

October 17, 2010 at 5:15 pm |
    • Know What

reallymom123,

Which Bible do you read? Was it written down, translated and interpreted by other people? You are relying on other people too.

October 17, 2010 at 5:21 pm |
    • Know What

19 in New Mexico,

At age 19 I was a true believer too. I *never* would have believed that I would learn differently.

Best to you...

October 17, 2010 at 6:01 pm |
    • reallymom123

@ know what I keep asking for someone to post these so called mistakes in the Bible and no one can do it. Basically, you are a fall away trying to bring others down with you.is it because you enjoy living a life of sin? That is really sad. You should watch on you tube, the skit guys-God's chisel.

October 17, 2010 at 7:20 pm |
    • Know What

reallymom123,
      "I keep asking for someone to post these so called mistakes in the Bible and no one can do it."

It's not that no one *can*, I think it is that no one puts any credence in your ensuing reply.

October 17, 2010 at 7:34 pm |
    • 19 in New Mexico

@ Know What
      You certainly say alot without saying anything at all. The more you speak your opinions and the more you belittle fact with your fiction, the more I am beginning to be convinced that perhaps Darwin was right......... you are "the missing link".

October 17, 2010 at 7:45 pm |

well, it is simple
      if you say the Bible is full of mistakes and i say tell me the mistakes and no is able to
      well it means that no one can, right? which means what?
      it means that you are just going by what some other person has told you and not bothered to study yourself.

October 17, 2010 at 8:56 pm |
  11. Ray

Why would you ask a college professor for questions about faith? They aren't exactly well-versed in that area of life. You should try a pastor or missionary.

October 17, 2010 at 1:03 pm |
    • Princess

@Ray – your life itself is a miracle and proof that God does exist.

October 19, 2010 at 3:31 am |
  12. val

To David Johnson,
    It seem to me that your problem is with God himself..lol Let me know when you become a born again christian so that way we can pray together. One thing i can tell there were many like you in the ancient day and they too had believe. So let stop all the back and bickering and Biblical passage. You will find and believe in the only true living God..

P.S. This comment is for you and the none believer.

I love you all in Jesus name.. AMEN!!!

October 17, 2010 at 12:56 pm |
    • Alex

The common denominator of people like you if that you talk like you if you are reading from a piece paper. You talk like if you are brainwashed. Things like "Jesus, love you" and the like. Have you seen him? Did he tell you he loves you? Did he hug you? But to make it worse, you are going to answer yes to those questions.

October 17, 2010 at 1:01 pm |
  13. Alex

David Johnson, Raison, and those that use the reason and critical thinking, I really appreciate you guys for taking the time to educate those believers. Thank you.

On other note, there was one here that said that you don't question faith. My friend that is exactly what makes you so ignorant. I consider that lazy and giving you some false-sense of comfort. Honestly, you don't deserve that brain that evolution took so long to make it so awesome. So many neurons wasted.

October 17, 2010 at 12:54 pm |
  14. orangeboy

Consider Matthew 17:20, wherein Jesus says "I tell you the truth, if you had faith even as small as a mustard seed, you could say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it would move. Nothing would be impossible." So it follows that no one in Chile has much faith, I suppose, because they had to run crying to atheistic science and technology to save the miners. Score 1 for the side of reason.

October 17, 2010 at 12:44 pm |
    • reallymom123

God gave us science and technology:)

October 17, 2010 at 12:47 pm |
  15. HereNthere69

Maybe they should've called off the rescue, sent the workers home and silenced the machinery. Then the President of Chile could have ordered prayers for the safe return of the miners to the surface and then just wait and see what god does. I think we all know how that would've panned out.

October 17, 2010 at 12:31 pm |
    • reallymom123

there was a guy stranded in a flood, he yelled out, "Lord save me". then a man came by in a boat and the first man said, "No, I am waiting on the Lords to save me. next, a helipcopter came to rescue him and sent them away saying, "I am waiting on the Lord to save me." eventually the man drowns and when he gets to heaven he said, "Lord, why didn't you save me?" God said, "i sent you a boat and a helicopter."

October 17, 2010 at 12:45 pm |
  16. voiceof1

Well folks you can say whatever you want about God or no God. Fact of the matter is there is one common denominator among us all. We won't escape death. We will all do it. So whatever your belief is we all die and we will all find out. So for those who mock Christians and God you better find out sooner than later.

October 17, 2010 at 10:54 am |
  17. D'Bourgois

There is a high likelihood that one's belief in God comes from coercion of some ancestor, who probably wouldn't have cared much for the religion at that time. But now the decedents cant think otherwise.

October 17, 2010 at 10:11 am |
    • reallymom123

The choice of accepting Jesus Christ is yours and yours alone. No one can force you. God doesn't force us to love Him. What kind of love is that? Every person has free will.

October 17, 2010 at 10:59 am |
  18. 19 in New Mexico

@ New York...
    I totally agree with you in that all glory and praise should be given to God. Because of God, we exist and are able to accomplish anything in life for the good. And to all the engineers, scientists and Doctors that had a wonderful share in helping to save these miners, you should be on your knees giving thanks to God for giving you the ability to have such knowledge and wisdom. You are only using 1/10th of 1% of your brains abilities, just think how amazing the human brain is and if we are able to use it 100%. Its proof that God is Almighty and powerful and all of us should be thankful for his Love, Justice, Power, Wisdom.

October 17, 2010 at 10:05 am |
  19. New York

I do not disagree that technology played an important role in rescuing these men. But I think that their faith in God kept all of them in good spirits & relatively healthy while they waited. To that I say Thank God.

October 17, 2010 at 9:57 am |
    • D'Bourgois

God shouldn't have pushed them in the hole in the first place.

October 17, 2010 at 10:04 am |
  20. D'Bourgois

Doctors, Engineers, and Scientists, are the new age Gods and Angels. Thank them for making your life span longer than 25yrs and getting you babies when 'God' intended neither. Creator created, and then left. We are the ones who decide our fate amidst (mathematical) probabilistic challenges.

October 17, 2010 at 9:56 am |
    • reallymom123

You turned away from God. Luckily, He still loves you and wants to bring you back to Him.

October 17, 2010 at 11:06 am |