home
RSS
October 16th, 2010

Controversial pastor gets free car for not burning Quran

The Rev. Terry Jones, the Florida pastor who caused a firestorm last month when he came close to staging a public Quran burning, is getting a new car courtesy of a New Jersey dealership.

In the run-up to the planned book-burning, Brad Benson Hyundai in New Brunswick offered Jones a vehicle if the pastor backed down on his threat.

“We heard on the news that he was going to burn the Quran," Benson Hyundai general manager David Canton told CNN on Saturday.

Read the full story

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Florida • Islam • New Jersey • Quran • United States

« Previous entry
  1. Phil

Great. Now we reward stupidity.

October 16, 2010 at 4:39 pm |
    • HeisGod

Tell me about it! And this "pastor" has no shame for receiving the reward for his nonsense!

October 16, 2010 at 5:32 pm |
  2. carly

Only in America.

Next we will reward potential murderers if they don't kill their hostages.

October 16, 2010 at 4:38 pm |
    • John

And these 2 scenarios are siimilar, in what way?

October 16, 2010 at 5:39 pm |
  3. Heidi

This just seems wrong. I mean come on someone offers to give me a brand new car for not burning a book (albeit a religious book) of COURSE I'm not going to burn it. The book cost what, maybe $30 tops? and the car (depending on the model) anywhere from 14,000-20,000 come on now. This just seems wrong. He's a pastor, there's gotta be something in the Bible about this....

October 16, 2010 at 4:26 pm |
  4. abc

yep..preach on!

October 16, 2010 at 4:09 pm |
  5. READ THE BIBLE AND KNOW THE TRUTH

Muslims have brainwashed their people into thinking that the Quran cannot be burned. They have set up fake fires showing their book cannot be burnt. That book just like any other book CAN burn. But tha tcomes form th elack of being unedcauted in science, and if someone burns the quran, that is between GOD and that person, not man against man. For all we know we ALL are going to hell for fighting over religion...would be funny if on judgment day..GOD says all of you are fools..and are wrong with my message...since NO ONE KNOWS what GOD is thinking or his original plans and we will never will until that day....

October 16, 2010 at 4:08 pm |
    • Todd

Um, I hate to break it to you, bub, but you are quite brain washed. The bible is a freaking book. There are multiple varieties of it. The damn thing contradicts itself numerous times.

Did you forget your meds again deary?

October 16, 2010 at 5:12 pm |
  6. tracy

I've decided not to burn a box of my wife's harlequin romances I found sitting around, what do I get for that.

October 16, 2010 at 4:02 pm |
    • Raison

@tracy

nothing from me – go ahead and burn those damn things...or do you want to get paid to burn them? And what does your wife think about all this??

October 16, 2010 at 4:13 pm |
  7. faboge

i think they should have let this teabagger burn the Koran, that way we are certain some religious nut like him would eventually get him! I still think there's a FATWA on his head! You f)*&k with these people's Koran and you're a marked man!

October 16, 2010 at 3:59 pm |
  8. david

wow, a free car! I am going to go and announce that i am going to do a public Quran burning just so i can get a free car! not

October 16, 2010 at 3:53 pm |
  9. kenny

Pastor burning a Qoran? Really...??? I may have missed it but I do not think Jesus would ever support that kind of idea...

October 16, 2010 at 3:42 pm |
    • Anonymous

LOL

October 18, 2010 at 3:25 pm |
  10. Reality

Sounds like a great way to increase car production thereby decreasing unemployment.

But from a historical analyses and common sense, the koran nor the bible are the words of god so burning both or either one is like burning, composting or flushing a book about santa claus. And throw in using as toilet paper as another disposal method.

October 16, 2010 at 3:35 pm |
    • John

Good one.

October 16, 2010 at 5:33 pm |
    • Younes

Have you ever read the Quran? Have you ever heard of the scientific miracles of the Quran? Help yourself and do a youtube search. Thank you Najam Gandhi for your posting on October 16, 2010 at 7:16 pm. I am a Muslim and I confirm what it was said. I will add if you are curious enough, do yourself a favor and read the Quran. If you want to send me a message make sure that you know what you are talking about. I meant read first the Bible and the Quran then you will know the truth by God's willing. Jesus peace be upon him is mentioned every where in the Quran, if you love him then go and read what God had said about him in the Quran! That will certainly help you to understand and discover the real reason behind the pastor's action. Hint What an actual world of business and materialism. Thank you for your time and may Allah guide us to the right path.

October 17, 2010 at 2:24 am |
  11. Asian Lady

So being stupid does pay. I need to stop getting up everyday and going to work.

October 16, 2010 at 3:34 pm |
    • John

Or go and live in Asia where you have no rights.

October 16, 2010 at 5:32 pm |
    • Frank

Asia isn't a country, smart one. So much for American 'education'.

October 16, 2010 at 9:03 pm |
  12. Cory

I'm not burning plenty of things and I don't see anything from anyone for it! and I think if someone were to not burn a bible they should at least get a key to the city or a small business loan. Just a thought. Maybe a mini cooper.

October 16, 2010 at 3:27 pm |
  13. Fred

If he takes the car, he's a d- fool.. Probably is anyway.....

October 16, 2010 at 3:26 pm |
    • Raison

@Fred

"probably"????

October 16, 2010 at 4:10 pm |
  14. Pat

Next time New Brunswick will give Rev. Terry Jones the key to the city to stop him from setting fire to a Roman Catholic church.

October 16, 2010 at 3:24 pm |
  15. RON MCLOUGHLIN

Wow! I need a new car. I think I'll announce that I going to burn a Koran! This is a case of the giver being nuttier than the receiver!

October 16, 2010 at 3:22 pm |
    • david

can i do it with you? i would not mind getting a new car to! lets go announce this to all the dealerships in the world!

October 16, 2010 at 3:56 pm |
    • sjuhi

why are you going to burn the Quran i mean why the hell would you do that! its nonsense why cant you just not fllow his steps

October 25, 2010 at 9:37 am |
  16. denise

That is cool...I mean really. I want to burn the Bible so can i get a corvette now??? What the hell is wrong with this picture...............

October 16, 2010 at 3:09 pm |
    • Peace2All

@denise

Very well said....Now THAT was funny...! lol..!!! Thanks for the chuckle.. 🙂

October 16, 2010 at 3:18 pm |
    • SHAKAKUNTE

What's wrong this picture , you asked? The question should be why is this GREAT country of ours displaying STUPIDITY IN CAPITAL LETTERS. You aint seen nothing yet. wait till his church members buy him a rolls because they dont like the Honda.
      Rewarding STUPIDITY should be a CRIME.

October 16, 2010 at 3:49 pm |
    • John

Well said.

October 16, 2010 at 5:26 pm |
  17. teresa

I'm not burning a Quran. Can I have a car too??

October 16, 2010 at 3:02 pm |
    • Dan

Exactly Teresa. Why are we rewarding people for narrowly avoiding being idiots?

October 16, 2010 at 3:21 pm |
    • HotAirAce

@Dan: I don't think he avoided being an idiot...

October 16, 2010 at 3:50 pm |
    • Peace2All

@Dan

I think we are possibly past that stage.

October 16, 2010 at 3:53 pm |
    • Raison

@teresa

What kind of car would you like?

October 16, 2010 at 4:08 pm |
  18. Raison

A Honda Accent...lol

October 16, 2010 at 3:00 pm |
    • HotAirAce

A Hyundai is *not* a Honda!!

October 16, 2010 at 3:53 pm |
    • Raison

WHAT? They must have fixed it then. It said Honda before – I cut-and-pasted!

LOL

October 16, 2010 at 4:07 pm |
  19. roswellwes

I hope the car comes wired to an incindiary bomb.

October 16, 2010 at 2:56 pm |
    • tracy

since he's giving it to a muslim charity, that might not work out as you would hope.

October 16, 2010 at 4:01 pm |
    • Raison

@tracy

LOL ...good one! 😀

October 16, 2010 at 4:05 pm |
  20. B(iraq) Hussein Osama

the pastor is cheap, to settle for just a car. Out there in Islamistan, US corporations are racking in millions for burning the very same Qur'an (via their hand made bombs dropping from the sky onto moslem homes with Qur'ans in them).

October 16, 2010 at 2:50 pm |
    • Frank

Exactly.
      Most of the time, I'm ashamed to be American. Hell, I'm ashamed to be human sometimes.

October 16, 2010 at 2:55 pm |
    • Raison

Settle for just a car? They left him alive, didn't they? But a book is just an object with no soul. You can buy them at the store.

October 16, 2010 at 3:02 pm |
    • Joe

Hey I want to burn the Koran too! Can I get an Escalade from somebody? That would be AWESOME!

October 16, 2010 at 4:55 pm |
    • ikantraed

This is getting ridiculous... Some free advertisement. CNN stop it.

October 16, 2010 at 10:08 pm |