home
RSS
October 21st, 2010

Churches contribute to gay suicides, most Americans believe

Fort Worth Texas Councilman Joel Burns’ videotaped story about being gay and bullied as a child recently went viral on the internet.

Two out of three Americans believe gay people commit suicide at  least partly because of messages coming out of churches and other places of  worship, a survey released Thursday found.

More than four out of 10 Americans say the message coming out of churches  about gay people is negative, and about the same number say those messages  contribute "a lot" to negative perceptions of gay and lesbian people.

Catholics were the most critical of their own churches' messages on  homosexuality, while white evangelical Christians gave their churches the  highest grades, the survey found.

The Public Religion Research Institute asked 1,017 Americans their views  on religion and homosexuality between October 14 and 17, in the wake of a highly publicized rash of suicides by gay people.

Gay rights campaigner Dan Savage said the idea that churches send out an  anti-gay message "totally jibes with my experience and that of millions of  other gay and lesbian people."

He cited Joel Burns, a Forth Worth, Texas, city councilman whose  emotional tale of being bullied as a young gay man went viral on the internet.

"He remembers being told to go home and commit suicide and that he was  going to hell," Savage said, adding that the source of such attitudes "wasn't  in algebra."

Leaders of the Christian right "have redefined Christianity so that it is  about being anti-gay," he said.

And he cited other poll findings that suggest more Americans than ever  before define themselves as having no religion.

"When you dig down, you found people who said they were Christians who  didn't want to be identified with being anti-gay," he argued.

But Jim Daly, the head of Focus on the Family, argued in a commentary for  CNN that Christian churches are not to blame.

"To violate the dignity of another person, in any form or fashion, is to  contradict the very basis of Gospel-centered living. And to suggest that an  orthodox understanding of Christianity encourages abuse against homosexuals is  a sad misreading of the very tenets of the faith," he said.

"Some self-described Christians do not act in Christ-like ways toward  those who are different than they are," he conceded.

"They save their harshest judgments for the sins they don't struggle with  themselves. That is not biblical Christianity in practice," he said.

Only five out of 100 people gave churches generally an A for their  handling of "the issue of homosexuality" in the Public Religion Research Institute survey, while 28 percent said their own church handled it well.

One in three people said that messages from places of worship contribute  "a lot" to higher rates of suicide among gay and lesbian youth.

Another one in  three said they contribute "a little." Only one in five said they do not  contribute at all. The rest said they did not know.

Americans were equally split on whether homosexual relationships between  adults are wrong, with 44 percent saying yes and 46 percent saying no.

The sampling margin on the survey, a joint project of PRRI and Religion News Service, is plus or minus 3 percentage points.

- Newsdesk editor, The CNN Wire

Filed under: Catholic Church • Gay rights • Polls • United States

« Previous entry
  1. David

One has so many doubts about social science research. It is neither science or research. It is bias! The prime example is the publication this week that the Tea Party is a racist organization. Who did the research? Go check and see for yourself, the most liberal, far left organization in the world! Can one believe that? A week earlier a UCLA graduate student did a research project on the Tea Party, the claim of being racist; and concluded that it was not in the least bit a racist organization. SO...the church, it has been in the name of the devil been accused of everything. The church will continue to stand and grow as people realize the deception and depravity of the accussors!

October 21, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
  2. david

freedom of belief, freedom of religion, a gay can say what he wants, a christian can say what he wants...or can he?

October 21, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
    • SOTBchurch

They can say anything about gay people, and they also have blood of gay kids on their bloody hands. May god have mercy!

October 21, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  3. Rover

While we're on the subject of suicide, what's been contributing to the increase in suicides among middle-aged white men over the last decade? I'd like some of my tax money to fund research in this vital area.

October 21, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  4. Richard

This story only invites more suicides and even gives a plausible excuse for doing so. Suicide is the most selfish thing a person can do. Are you folks under the impression that stress and persecution are new?

Around this house we say we aint doing anyone any favors, and if there IS killing to be done ....we aim at the problem...you dig?

My point is we must teach our young that this is never a option. As for older people who are contemplating this, one only hopes some friend or coworker will notice signs. In the US Army we have new rules that we ordered to follow, if we see signs we take action and do not leave the individual until we have taken this person to proper help(personally). We also remove anything that could be used to hurt themselves. Including taking this person to a safer location...ect ect.

This is NEVER a option................NEVER!

October 21, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
    • SOTBchurch

I totally agree with you. But the freaking bible and those SOTB christians continue to attack gay people, and said gay people will go to hell. If they are so religious and peaceful, they should be able to LOVE everybody including gay and lesbian.

October 21, 2010 at 10:29 pm |

Richard
      Your comment is awaiting moderation.

I am Christian friend, and "they" aint God....neither am I.

I just wrote this but here it is again...the Bible commands one not to kill him/herself.
      It also says ALL are Sinners and it says ALL fall short of the glory of God. It also says judge and ye be judged.

there is NO EXCUSE TO KILL YOURSELF and all after BUT is BULLhockey(the moderators did not like the other word)....................NEVER A OPTION!!!!

October 21, 2010 at 10:44 pm |
    • Brian

Please cite the book, chapter, and verses where the Bible says not to commit suicide.

Note: "Thou shalt not kill" does not apply because it says nothing about killing yourself. If you want to bring in that argument then you would have to say eating meat is a sin because you have to kill the animals. So are you a sinner Richard?

October 21, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
    • Sum Dude

@Richard
      Speak for yourself. If killing others is wrong because you have no right to do so, then suicide is about the only thing along those lines that you DO have a right to do.
      I reserve the right to take myself out of this wonderful world. It is the last human right a person can exercise. It is always an option. I will do it when it seems right, not when you think it's right or wrong. It just isn't any of your damn business what I do with my own body.
      And it never will be your business.

October 21, 2010 at 11:26 pm |
  5. JLS639

I cannot help but wonder if the reason so many people feel this way about churches is that the representative of Christian church's take on this was the far-right wing Jim Daly, a man I classify in the "nutcase" category. The reporter chose a prominent, hyper-political fundamentalist evangelical as the voice of Christian opinion on this subject? What about a Roman Catholic archbishop (RC is the largest denomination in America)? It is not my experience that those Focus on the Family nutcases represent most Christian opinions in America.

October 21, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
    • CatholicMom

JLS639,

This isn’t an archbishop speaking but I think he does a good job of explaining how God feels about gays…

October 21, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
  6. Khadijah

I was a devout christian, even went on the mission field to Africa. I struggled against it all my life; believed that God would heal me if I prayed. It's a long story. God did not heal me. When I came out, I lost everything. My family, my job, you know what everything is? Do you know what celibate is? Christians killed me, excluded me, ended my life.
    Do they cause suicides? You bet. Every single day I don't do it by will alone. What happens one day when I feel weak? Hope it will pass.

October 21, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
    • Frank

Khadijah, no matter what man tells you, God still loves you more than you can ever know. He created you in His image, as a beautiful daughter of the King. Your s@xual orientation is just another reflection of God's diversity. I hope you will keep that in mind and heart.
      You'll be in my prayers. God bless you.

October 21, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
    • HeisGod

It breaks my heart that you gave up too easy, Khadijah. I have been praying for a certain thing and God hasn't answered me. Why hasn't He, because Father nows best. You should have never allow anyone to come between you and the Lord. God is faithful until the end and there is nothing to hard for the Lord. I pray that some day you will return back to Him.

October 21, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
    • jeff

Just so I understand this:

You wanted to be gay. And you expected everyone around you to celebrate that with you?

"God did not heal me." – Because he can't. You have to heal yourself. God didn't put you on this Earth so he could hand you everything on a silver platter or be at your beck and call. (sounds like some democrats we know, eh?)

"When I came out, I lost everything." And this is not your fault.....how?

" My family, my job, you know what everything is?" – You know what keeping your yap shut is?

"Do you know what celibate is?" That's your choice. You want the ranch sauce, don't announce it to the world.

" Christians killed me, excluded me, ended my life." – We killed you? Huh..I thought Iran and most muslim countries cornered the market on that. Excluded you? We love the sinner, not the sin. No Christian would have excluded you. But we won't celebrate your cause either. And the only person who can end your life is you.

"Do they cause suicides?" No we don'.t No Christian I know would ever tell another man to kill himself.

" Every single day I don't do it by will alone. What happens one day when I feel weak?" Get help and talk it out. If you think that because a group of people won't cheer you on for your penchant to play pole position in the literal sense, and you think that is a reason enough to off yourself, the problem isn't us. It's you.

October 21, 2010 at 10:32 pm |
    • Frank

Jeff, you should be ashamed of yourself, too. You and Josephine from down below need to go repent together for your extreme lack of compassion, mercy and love.

October 21, 2010 at 10:38 pm |
    • Richard

I agree with Frank and Brother it tells us to beware the wolf in sheeps clothing...do not give up....ever.... My lord loves you!!....seek answers and you will find your answers but in Gods time......He loves YOU...this I know just like I know there is a God.

you should be ashamed Jeff......I am a christian who would like to pop you right in the mouth!

October 21, 2010 at 10:54 pm |
    • Frank

God bless you, Richard! Instead of popping Jeff in the mouth – pray for him!

October 21, 2010 at 10:57 pm |
    • jeff

"Jeff, you should be ashamed of yourself, too." – Why? Because I don't approve of your lifestyle?

"You and Josephine from down below need to go repent together for your extreme lack of compassion, mercy and love."

I see. Object to the lifestyle that you chose or desired and it's our fault we don't accept it, cheer it, embrace it, and worship it, right? You want to engage in a lifestyle that is disgusting, depraved, degenerate, and harmful, willingly no less, and you want compassion for that decision? You want mercy and love for being a unrepentant sinner? I don't think so.

October 21, 2010 at 11:01 pm |
    • Frank

First of all, Jeff, you know nothing about my 'lifestyle', my life. Why are you so obsessed with what LGBT people do with each other? If you have a p#rverted v0yeuristic mind, you should go elsewhere.
      Second, being lesbian, gay, bi or transgender is NOT A CHOICE. Did you chose your s#xual orientation or that your gender ident!ty would match up with your body? I don't think so!
      All people are asking is the right to be themselves and not to be judged for it. After all, if you have read the Gospels, you would know that Christ taught us not to judge, for we shall be judged by the same measure. Only God can judge any of us. Only He truly sees our souls as they are. You are as sinful and dirty as everyone else is. All of our sins cry out for retribution! What makes you so much better than a gay person? Huh?
      And if it is gay s#x acts that you find uncomfortable, why are you thinking of what two men do with each other if you are so hetero, anyway? Is it any of your business? No. Plus, straight people do those exact same things. I don't see you judging them and calling them out.
      So I stick by what I said.

October 21, 2010 at 11:10 pm |
    • Sum Dude

@jeff
      you obviously have some personal issues to work out. If you just want to rant, go ahead. Just don't do anything in person with your hate or you will deserve some extreme consequences for doing evil.
      You have free speech, but I don't like what you do with it. I've met people like you all over the place – full of hate thanks to the Bible – and it shows how full of BS it really is at times like these.
      You're a wanna-be Christian who has been filled with bigoted thoughts throughout his life. I think you suck.

October 21, 2010 at 11:21 pm |
    • Clay

When you christians wonder why an increasing number of Americans view you as hateful bigots, you can thank people like jeff for that reputation.

October 21, 2010 at 11:26 pm |
    • jeff

@sum dude

"Just don't do anything in person with your hate" – Interesting. I hold a different opinion and another poster threatened violence against me and you post to me about me doing violence when NOTHING I said indicated anything of the sort. Strange world you live in.

"You have free speech, but I don't like what you do with it." – Must be nice to live in a world where there is no difference of opinions or beliefs. Just one mind, one collective group. All the same no differences. Sounds boring.

"I've met people like you all over the place – full of hate thanks to the Bible" – Show me where I said anything hateful? Did I not say that if you want to do these things, do it? Is that hateful? I don't think so. Oh wait..wait. Found it. I dont embrace your acts not now, nor ever, and I guess because I won't applaud your love of being gay, that is the "hate" right? No embracing the gayness is the equivalent of hate, right?

"You're a wanna-be Christian who has been filled with bigoted thoughts throughout his life." And you are a not a bigot by insisting that we be forced to tolerate you?

"II think you suck." – But I know you do. (you got a little white stuff on your chin there....)

October 21, 2010 at 11:37 pm |
    • Frank

Jeff, it appears to me that you are either in the closet and projecting your self-hate or you're some sort of p#rvert who is trying to find an excuse to discuss s#xual acts.

October 21, 2010 at 11:41 pm |
    • NightCelt

Posting twice to bypass m-deration, which takes forever:

@Khadijah: "I struggled against it all my life; believed that God would heal me if I prayed. It's a long story. God did not heal me."

You don't need to be "healed." Your instincts are just telling you to do something which comes naturally to you, you prefer the same s-x. There was never anything to heal and there still isn't.

I was fortunate enough to be raised in a secular household, without religion. No hellfire and brimstone, no weekly Sunday b.s. about going to hell for this or that or needing to be "saved." Until grade school when, for purposes of transition from one residence to another, I had to attend a Baptist school for two years. The benefit from those two years? The weekly memorization and testing of scripture helped me to develop a good memory and also realize that the King James Bible was a bizarre series of stories with antiquated language. I tested at the top of my class and realized, even then, that the religious component to my curriculum was b.s.

Every experience with Christians thereafter, especially born agains, basically entailed repeated judgments from them, in one fashion or another, that x, y or z was God's will or that I should seek strength from God to help me with my "weaknesses" – primarily my disinterest and dismissal, in general, of Christian doctrine. I've also seen some of these people excuse themselves in certain situations for their personal behavior and they take those liberties because they've "asked for God's forgiveness," and are quite sure that they will receive it just by doing so. The hypocrisy is astounding.

I pray, I mean, I hope – lol – that you will eventually embrace your s-xuality, the way that you were meant to do, and just do what feels right. Without any guilt or turning to the hysteria and incredible judgment that gives the cross its venomous glow in some of these scenarios that you've encountered.

One time, in New Orleans, I saw two men kissing passionately on the street. It was one of the hottest things I've ever seen. Live your life to the fullest and don't let anyone tell you what to do.

October 21, 2010 at 11:44 pm |
    • Frank

"One time, in New Orleans, I saw two men kissing passionately on the street. It was one of the hottest things I've ever seen."

Lol. 😉

October 21, 2010 at 11:48 pm |
    • jeff

@ Frank

"Jeff, it appears to me that you are either in the closet" Of course it does. Because there exists no other reason as to oppose the gay agenda. No revulsion, disgust, disdain. Clearly I'm gay. You got me. I'm so relieved you know that I'm gay. Oh wait..I still find what you do repulsive, disgusting, and contemptuous towards God. Being Gay is giving God the middle finger and screaming at him that you are right and he is wrong. Transgender I can understand, mixups happen. But to be so contemptous and hostile to God and arrogant that you, a mere human, whose life is nothing but a flash in the fires called time, think you are better than God and hold more wisdom than he, yikes...hope you got sunblock.

"and projecting your self-hate" I leave the self-projecting to your and your friends. (how did you hit the ceiling?!?)

" or you're some sort of p#rvert who is trying to find an excuse to discuss s#xual acts." No. Its called being sarcastic. They sell it at Wal-Mart for 9.99 if you never were born with it.

October 21, 2010 at 11:55 pm |
    • HeisGod

@ Jeff – You want mercy and love for being a unrepentant sinner? I don't think so.

How will we are going to reach out to those who are in sin IF we don't show them mercy and the love that the very God has shown us when we were sinners? We don't embrace the sin with cheer, you are right, but we should embrace others who don't know Christ with love and mercy. That is what our Lord said, if we give mercy, we shall obtain mercy as well and you now very well that we ALL need God's Mercy everyday of our lives.

God bless you.

October 22, 2010 at 12:03 am |
    • Frank

Jeff, how dare you presume to know anything about me or what I do with myself? You know nothing about me. Regardless of the gay issue, you presume to know the mind of God and to judge in His place. That's arrogance and hypocrisy, my judgemental friend. Christ said not to judge, because you will be judged by the same measure. He also said 'let he who hath no sin cast the first stone'. He also went on to say to remove the log from your eye before calling out your neighbor for the speck in their eye. Oh, and He also said the greatest commandment is to love. I see no love coming from your posts! I don't know what King and God you are serving, but is certainly not Jesus Christ, Lord and Savior, King of kings and Son of God!
      You have only exhibited hatred, petty disgust and childishness. Remember: God will judge you, too. You are a sinner and you are making it known to all on this blog what you're particular sin is. You should worry about getting your own self right with God before calling everyone else out, because your particular sin is so serious that it's the one that Christ had the harshest words for.

October 22, 2010 at 12:07 am |
    • HeisGod

@ Sum Dude – Are you blaming the Bible for the evil that dwells in the heart of a man? So what is the excuse of those that denounces God, like Atheists and Agnostics? Are you going to blame the Bible as well? That is such nonsense you are saying. It doesn't take a Christian to be a bigot, anyone can be a bigot.

October 22, 2010 at 12:08 am |
    • Sum Dude

@jeff
      I wasn't talking to anyone else but you, jeff.

Just because I do not like what you do with your freedom of speech does not mean I am unable to tolerate it to a certain extent.

I used to be a big believer in the Bible, did church activiities, extended love to everyone, tried my best....that's one of the places I always saw the hate of other people – the church.
      Christians like having a list of things to hate. They really get off on that stuff, like you do...

And I don't know why you assume I'm gay when I'm not. I'm just defending my gay friends who respect my hetero stance and do not offend me with unwanted stuff.

But then you wouldn't know about having friends who trusted you that much, would you? I could bet you a million dollars there are several people in your personal life who are not telling you that they "roll" a different way than you.

I do not embrace their "gayness" since I am hetero, but I can be their friend and love them as human beings.
      I am not insisting that you be forced to do anything but follow the law. You know, the laws of this country?

You don't have to "tolerate", but you have to follow the law. But I do not expect you to understand me, since I am talking sense while respecting your rights and freedoms even though you refuse to respect the rights and freedoms of other Americans....like any bigot would....no surprise there...!

Grow up, jeff. Your Jesus Christ was probably gay. He took off that towel, remember? To clean the feet of the others?
      Now tell me that doesn't sound a bit gay and I'll just laugh at you again...lol

October 22, 2010 at 2:31 am |
    • Sum Dude

@HeisGod
      Do I blame the Bible for the evil within your heart? Have I ever said anything like that? No.

The Bible is just a bunch of nonsense with a few good sayings here and there.
      You cannot prove God exists or you would have already.
      Your Bible has been proven wrong on so many levels that you look around wildly for some way to counter the growing number of truths that invalidate those words written by men and not any "God".

Maybe you should pray harder. Strengthen your weak faith.
      Ask God to forgive your foolishness and show you the truth.

Maybe he'll show you that he did not "inspire" those con-artists who wrote that criminal handbook of intolerance and hate.
      Ask God himself. Or are you afraid I might be right?

October 22, 2010 at 2:43 am |
    • Frogist

@Khadijah: I understand what you're saying even if I know I have not experienced the emotion behind it. How can I or anyone? We're different. There is nothing wrong with you being you. You shouldn't have to struggle against yourself like this. The world is a big place. And it has room for all kinds of people. I truly believe any loving god would never create us to spend our lives in fear and misery. I think two of the best lines ever written are "Nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be" and "Nothing you can do, but you can learn how to be you in time" It's from one of my favorite Beatle's songs. It reminds me that in all the world, and through all the loneliness, I still have me. And I can rely on the fact that every day I work towards being true to me and who I want to be, is another step closer to making the place where I am into somwhere I am welcomed and accepted just for being myself. You have more power than you know, Khadijah.

October 22, 2010 at 11:56 am |
  7. Eric

Hmm, lets see they preach gays are going to burn in hell for all eternity, and pour millions of dollars into efforts to limit, deny, or revoke rights of gays and lesbians. Nah, just a coincidence.

October 21, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
    • Richard

and all the infidels will march into the sea tonight....naaahhh!

October 21, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
  8. SurRy

Who would Jesus bully?

October 21, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
    • Ozzi

Jesus bullied the money-changers in the Temple of Jeruselum. Pretty much thrashed them too.

October 22, 2010 at 1:49 am |
  9. dude

Wow, moderated by cnn by butt. Ok, I agree their always promoting their cause regardless of venue, but your tasteless descriptions are worse

October 21, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  10. SOTBchurch

If there is hell, those anti-gay christians should go to hell now. They have blood of those poor gay kids on their bloody hands.

October 21, 2010 at 10:10 pm |
    • HeisGod

There is a hell and not only are so-called Christians there and are going as we speak, but million upon millions of nonbelievers are there and are still going as we speak.

October 21, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
    • moondrop

@ HeIsGod.... if your god is so wonderful and amazing, then why does he send billions of innocent people to hell just for not believing? Wow, that's some great god you have.

Come to grips with the REALITY that god is a concept, not an actual thing...if god existed, he wouldn't be so petty as to send people to hell for not believing in him. What would that achieve other than god's personal sadistic satisfaction over eternal suffering?

At this point however, it's easy to see that your account is most likely a satirical one, so I won't try to argue very much with you.

October 21, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
    • HeisGod

@ moondrop – @ moondrop – First of all, hell was only created for Satan and his demons, not for humanity. God doesn’t send anyone to hell, one chooses to go there because one turns his/her back to God. Did you know that before Christ came to die for us, there were many of God’s people in hell, but not burning? They were held in captivity as prisoners because of sin? Christ came to set them free and took the key of life & death from Satan. That was the very purpose of Him dying for us so that we don’t have to experience hell. You should know well that billions of people are not innocent, innocent of what? God is not a thing, you’re right, nor I He a concept. He is a Spirit and you & I have a spirit within us as well as a soul. As I said, God will never send anyone to hell. He sent His Begotten Son to save us from everlasting hell. Why would you or anyone reject the free gift of salvation? There is more to than being saved, there are God’s promises to us, His peace that surpasses all understanding, His healing, comfort and so on.

October 21, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
    • moondrop

@ HeisGod blah blah blah. You can try and rationalize convoluted logic in favour of a vengeful sky deity all you want, but it doesn't change the fact that you know I'm right.

October 21, 2010 at 11:31 pm |
    • Terry

moondrop, why are you so angry! God loves you.

October 21, 2010 at 11:52 pm |
    • Ozzi

Heisgod-I believe in god. I just don't believe in your god.

October 22, 2010 at 1:47 am |
  11. Dennis

Churches spew hatred because that's where the money is.

October 21, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
    • HeisGod

Are you sure that it only happens in Church? If you don't know why people give $$ to church, you will never understand. It is Biblical for us to do it. There are so many people who are very hateful, for example, Atheist, Agnostics....should I label them all the same?

October 21, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
    • SOTBchurch

Pastor long and Harggard want money and man meat as well!

October 21, 2010 at 10:13 pm |
    • HeisGod

@ SOTBchurch – Pastor Long and Haggard will have to answer to God, not you or anyone else. You are with sin and are not better than them or any of us.

October 21, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
    • Frogist

@HeisGod: Not to toot my own horn, but yeah I think I am able to cast judgement on Haggard and Long. They are hypocrites of the highest order. And while my hypocrisy (if there is any in the way I live), is meted out on a personal scale, theirs was broadcast from the pulpit to thousands of people. And according to them, as a part of their guidance from god. So while I am quite aware that I have my own "sins", they are not nearly on par with the Haggards and Longs and pedo priests of the world.

October 22, 2010 at 11:15 am |
  12. pazyfe

We cannot turn God's word on and off as we please, it is not the person that God does not approve of it is the sin, we cannot expect the "church," which if you read the scriptures is "YOU" to accept what is wrong, we cannot sugarcoat it. His love and mercy is forever but His commandments cannot be compromised.

October 21, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
    • HeisGod

Amen, brother/sister. You are so right.

October 21, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
    • Dean

Mercy's an odd name for eternal damnation

October 22, 2010 at 12:22 am |
  13. will

If you need any more proof that christians are predjudice against the gay community, look at Uganda and all the fine work evangelists are doing there.

October 21, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
    • moondrop

yeah...that country is living proof that christianity is just a disease

October 21, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  14. Clay

Without question, christian fundamentalists in this nation have blood on their hands! They are directly responsible for so much of the hate that permeates our culture today.

October 21, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
    • pazyfe

October 21, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
    • Frank

And who are you to tell someone that who they love deeply is wrong? Or their innate gender ident!ty is wrong? Christ said not to judge, because you will judged by the same measure. If it is a sin, that's between them and God. He'll take care of it. Worry about your own sins. Life's too short to be condemning people for things they can't change. If you keep on doing that, you'll find yourself without any friends or loved ones!
      God wants us to love and care for one other, not run around judging everything! If it's not causing harm or trouble, then what's the problem? Because the very same things anti-gays accuse gays of doing, straights do in ever greater numbers!

October 21, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
    • Clay

pazyfe, your "truth" is fiction for many of us. You have no more right to justify your hatred with religion than racists have justifying theirs with the bible...and I have heard MANY racists do just that! It is time that fundamentalists realize that we don't live in a theocracy and abandon their Dark Ages mentality.

October 21, 2010 at 11:22 pm |
    • Dean

I agree completely with pazyfe, that's why I don't eat shellfish and beat my kids.

October 22, 2010 at 12:19 am |
  15. @ discusted American

I completely agree with you, execept about leaving the country. We need to try harder to educate the brainwashed masses into being more tolerant of people who may be at odds with what you believe to be right. Its called harmony. We need a PAX AMERICANA!

October 21, 2010 at 10:03 pm |
  16. Jayznd

I don't care about religion or what not. All i care about is that children are killing themselves directly or indirectly due to bullying and I find it disgusting that this behavior is still tolerated. What the hell are parents teaching their god-damn kids?!?! Then we all sit down and scratch our heads when a Columbine takes place. I think our society has taken more steps back in the last 10 years then forward and I worry about our future as a country.

October 21, 2010 at 10:01 pm |
    • Frank

Columbine wasn't caused by bullying. Most of the school shootings aren't.

October 21, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
    • Bryan

Columbine wasn't caused by bullying? You obviously know nothing about that event or school shootings. That's ridiculous how ignorant people choose to be. Hope you don't have kids, Frank.

October 21, 2010 at 11:14 pm |
    • Frank

Bryan, you are very wrong. I am well researched when it comes to Columbine. It had nothing to do with bullying. Eric Harris was a clinical psychopath who was actually very popular and knew how to manipulate as psychopaths are experts at doing. Dylan Klebold was a very young man who fall under Eric's influence. They didn't target any group in particular. In fact, they had a huge bomb planted in the cafeteria that, thankfully, failed to detonate. They wanted to kill EVERYBODY just for the hell of it.
      Read the book Columbine by Dave Cullen, which is the definitive resource on the mass murders. You can also read Eric Harris' journals which are all over the Web. Just Goggle 'Eric Harris journal'. After his journals were released, it demolished the media's fairytale.

October 21, 2010 at 11:36 pm |

*very troubled young man

October 21, 2010 at 11:37 pm |
  17. Jay Williams

The Gay assault on churches is unbelievable. Not since the days of Noah and Lot has there been this assault on religion coming from groups and individuals that advocate immoral behavior. It is pointless to blame the Church or any religion on your own immoral behaviors. On the contrary, you should be sitting in church and praying to God to have him help you get over your sinful ways.

October 21, 2010 at 10:00 pm |
    • Frank

Jay, there are LGBT Christians. We don't all hate Christianity, some of us are quite devout. I myself am ashamed of my LGBT brothers and sisters who turn radical and decide to start slandering and persecuting the Church. I understand their pain but this is not how you have a meaningful respectful dialogue! And that goes for you too, Jay!

October 21, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
    • Richard R

On the contrary, Jay, you should be sitting in a college classroom and learning to get over your ignorant ways.

October 23, 2010 at 3:18 pm |
  18. Rover

People saying bad things about you makes you feel bad. A uniquely modern development, I'm sure.

Make it stop, pleeeeeze, make it stop!

October 21, 2010 at 9:51 pm |
    • HeisGod

Rover, friend, one thing I have learned by my Pastor is this....GET OVER PEOPLE!

October 21, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  19. boydanb203

100% correct, the Churches are spreading hate instead of understanding and respect to each other "The true word of Christ" how can someone not go nuts with the Pope and other religous figure scream that being gay is a sin and you are going to burn in hell, I am gay and it was no my choice...to be gay is not a choice, to the straight people out there I have a question for you: when did you choose to be straight???

October 21, 2010 at 9:49 pm |
    • Frank

That's technically not what the Catholic Church teaches. And I don't recall the Pope screaming...

October 21, 2010 at 9:51 pm |
    • SOTBchristian

Catholic is even worse than christian. They are the ones who abuse young boys.

October 21, 2010 at 10:08 pm |
    • Frank

Catholic IS Christian. The original Christianity, to be exact. Troll elsewhere.

October 21, 2010 at 10:18 pm |
    • J-MO

@Frank, where in the bible that says Catholism was christianity?

October 22, 2010 at 12:09 am |
    • Frank

The word 'Catholic' isn't found in the Bible. It just means 'universal'. The Catholic Church is the Universal Christian Church founded by Christ Himself. You can either agree or disagree.

October 22, 2010 at 12:29 am |
    • Sum Dude

@Frank
      I disagree. And Jesus only told Peter to take care of people, not to establish a church. And Paul started the CC. So there. 😛

October 24, 2010 at 4:06 pm |
  20. stephen

i am open and gay and i see it as a huge problem in america these kids being bullied hurt from it i was bullied myself alot and im sick of this when will americans realize there wrong we need to work together all us brothers and sisters need to stand strong

October 21, 2010 at 9:48 pm |