home
RSS
October 21st, 2010

Man saved by God, and by dog who says grace

By Jessica Ravitz, CNN

The video was meant to simply make some Facebook friends, and his mother in particular, smile.

Steven Boyd, 39, had taught his dog Djaingo how to "say grace," and one late September morning, camera in hand, he coaxed the sleepy pup out to the living room and into prayer.

Front paws on Boyd's thigh, head bowed, man and dog offered up these words:

Thank you for allowing us to be the man and puppy you've allowed us to be. Father, thank you for our friends and family, their prayers and support and energy that they give us… Father, I do ask a special prayer that you help me to not chase the neighbor's cat and to listen to my master whenever he asks me to do anything.

What began as a post on Boyd's Facebook page was passed on and shared. It's popped up all over YouTube, appeared on numerous other sites, and it even got play on "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno."

But the story behind Djaingo the praying dog is deeper than it is cute.

Boyd found his way to the dog just when they needed each other most.

The man was sick - had been for more than a year and a half - when he strolled into an animal shelter looking for a temporary escape. It was September 10, 2003, the day before the second anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks, and the memories of that day weighed heavily on him.

For 12 years, Boyd says, he served in the U.S. Army. He says he was, among other things, a sniper, a paratrooper and, subsequently, a counter narcotics operator. He'd been fearless professionally and personally. He'd jumped out of planes, rappelled down cliffs and mountain biked his way across dangerous terrains.

Now, though, he was losing everything. The hospitalizations kept happening. His career was shot. The relationship with the woman he thought he'd marry had ended. The medical questions loomed large. He was dying.

At the pound that day, he simply offered to walk some dogs. He had no plan to adopt an animal. But then, three hours into his visit, his eyes and the dog's locked. He knew, in that instant, they were meant to be together.

The only problem was the dog was already scheduled to die. It was set to be euthanized the following morning. It was too aggressive and could not be trained, the shelter workers insisted. Boyd didn't care.

He begged. He pleaded. And $75 later, the best investment he says he ever made, the duo went home.

The former military man, who lives in Austin, Texas, put that pup through its own boot camp. The dog began to trust his owner, show affection and within six months he'd been transformed. He was happy, loving, sweet.

"He saved my life as much as I saved his," Boyd says.

Along the way, the Australian Cattle Dog was given a proper name - rather than his given name, "Chip." His owner thought back to the time when he'd done some training with the 3rd Royal Australian Airborne. The men had taught him the term "djaingo" – to "go djaingo," Boyd explains, means to go out, get drunk and rowdy, pick up women and have bar fights. And so that tough little dog was named.

Since he first was hospitalized on February 19, 2002, Boyd has struggled. Because of multiple traumatic brain injuries - sustained through military exercises, a car wreck, a rappelling accident and a grenade detonation - he says he suffers from gastroparesis, a paralysis of the gastrointestinal tract. It makes eating and drinking a form of "Russian roulette," he says. It can cause food to sit in his stomach and rot. He has starved himself, unintentionally. For days on end, he can vomit 10 to 15 times an hour. He's broken ribs in the process.

As a result of this illness and repeated, extensive dehydration, he says his weight - 175 when healthy - has dropped to as low as 98 pounds.

By his side, in sickness and in health, has been Djaingo. Boyd's parents live three hours away, and his mother, Cheryl, says she takes solace knowing the dog is there.

He sticks by her son and keeps watch. When Boyd is too sick to take the dog out, he can leave the apartment door open. The dog will run outside on his own "to do his business," she says, and then guard the open door. If her son is in need of medical attention, the dog will alert neighbors.

Having Djaingo has been source of comfort to Boyd. But there was one time when the animal just wasn't enough.

After several days of vomiting four years ago, he thought he'd end it all. He'd had a friend who years ago had committed suicide by drinking Clorox, and from the bathtub's floor, where he was curled up, Boyd eyed the nearby bleach bottle. With the cap off, he prepared to drink.

"I heard it as distinctive as I hear your voice right now," Boyd, his own voice shaking, says by phone to CNN. "I heard, 'Don’t do this.' It was my father God, and I broke down. I get teary-eyed now talking about it."

He'd grown up in a Christian home, "a proverbial 'Leave It to Beaver' family," he says. His dad had been the deacon of their church. His mother is a Sunday school and Bible study teacher. And though Boyd always considered himself Christian, up until that moment he realized he'd been living the Christian life, as an adult, on his own terms.

The debilitating illness that can leave him homebound much of the time, the loss of everything, had in fact saved him, he says.

"It changed everything. I truly feel as if it was God using a 2-by-4, smacking me in the head and telling me to wake up," says Boyd, who described himself as "callous" after his years in the military. "It's softened my heart in so many ways. It's made me realize the things you take for granted in life are sometimes the most important things in life."

He got involved in church. He attends Bible studies when he's able. And as last year's Christmas gift to his mother, who describes herself as a "prayer warrior," he taught Djaingo how to say grace.

"He's a disabled veteran on a very limited income," his mom says. So in lieu of buying each other gifts, she told her son last year that instead they'd "do something, write something or make something" for one another.

What her son and Djaingo did for her touched her heart, she says. And, with the release of the recent video, she's not alone in receiving this gift.

The response has overwhelmed Boyd. He's received more than 5,000 messages from around the globe - including Australia, Russia, Thailand. The friend requests on Facebook have poured in by the hundreds. Djaingo, now with his own Facebook page, is racking up new friends, too.

Boyd has gotten marriage proposals. A grandmother who is going through chemotherapy and lives alone says she watches the video every morning to help her face a new day. A mother whose son has lost faith is hoping that by teaching the dog to pray, her son will feel the connection again, too. Pastors are using the video in sermons.

And all of this, including what it's done for her son, Boyd's mother says, is proof of "God's hand" at work.

"Steven told us he was so lonely. So much of the time, he's apartment-bound. Now he's getting emails from all over the world," she says. "It's given Steven such a boost to his morale. God can take the tiniest thing and use it for good."

Every evening, Boyd and Djaingo say grace together. It's not that the man believes the roly-poly dog, who's been mistaken for a pig before, is actually praying. He knows his faithful pet is just doing what he's told so he can get his dinner.

"But it's an affirmation of my faith to have my dog be able to participate," Boyd says. "Who would have thought God would use my fat dog to spread His glory?"

- CNN Writer/Producer

Filed under: Christianity • Faith • Prayer • Technology

1. lc

@ david...
    you have a LOT of time to sit here and be angry at people you don't know about a wonderful story. You sound like an angry person. We sit here and defend our God because He has done so much for us in our lives. I have seen it as a miracle saving my own life (literally) and others. If you have no experience with God, then why are you so angry and steadfast on telling people how untrue what something they believe is so wonderful is? What is your point? Do you look up posts all day about things you don't believe in just to argue? Lame. I don;t know how old you are either, probably my age. I say dude, but not when trying to prove how intelligent I am ;). Plus, you can't take part of a math equation out of the entirety and prove it is true, correct? So how can you really know nothing about God and his purpose or have read the entirety with understanding without having read it ALL and bean educated on the meanings of it? Just like papprazi taking pictures and telling the story themselves. I'd rather talk to someone that says they hate God or that they are angry with him.. because there would be a REASON they are on this thread. What is your reason? Do you have THAT much time to read a story about someone's life being saved and discount what he believes is the reason for his survival? Really? Seriously?

October 27, 2010 at 3:53 pm |
  2. Lindsey

Here's my 2 cents:
    Yes, I believe in God. Yes I have read the Bible. Yes I do believe in evolution. No I do not believe the Bible is or is meant to be literal. Both believers and nonbelievers are quoting the Bible, God said this! or God did this! Quick question, Jesus spoke/taught in parables, why can't the Bible be made up of things that didn't actually happen in order to teach people lessons? I am not attacking anyone but how could a book that has been translated so many times and over so many thousands of years still be completely accurate? I believe that God is a just being, I believe he is compassionate and kind(and for the record neither male nor female). I also believe that religion was not part of anyone or anythings plan apart from mans. Man has used God as an excuse for dsipicable things. For David in particular, why are you so angry at these people for believing in God? Are they hurting you? Or are you just having a lot of fun riling them up? If so, then to each his own.
    I have a hard time believing in the "typical" heaven and hell. If the Bible is completely literal than I would love to know what happened to the millions of people before us that believed in more than one God, did they all end up in hell? At the time they thought they were doing/worshipping what was right. In my opnion all religions are flawed and in some ways outdated. Many of the things in the Bible are there because people couldn't explain away natural things. The whole creation story...I'm not so certain of. Evolution is real, sorry folks but it is. The creation story could be somewhat true. But why do the 7days in the Bible have to be literal 24 hr days? Couldn't they be millennia? Or longer? Geez people, calm down, open your minds (both sides of the argument) and try to listen to each other before berating each other so much.

October 27, 2010 at 3:33 pm |
  3. emmic

even if a dog knos that there is a God hw much more we humans????
    God bless u dog, & i love u Jesus.

October 27, 2010 at 1:43 pm |
  4. lc

I can't believe that the non believers on this thread would see what a wonderful thing happened to this man, whether you believe the same things or not and take the time out of your day to read this whole story (of which you do NOT believe fully, correct?).. and post to discredit what saved this man's life. If I saw an article about how your "inner self" or science like medicine saved your lives, I wouldn't post to say "that's not true! it was God!" You obviously are NOT getting bored talking about this because as believers, we feel as passion about it, so it is instilled in us that it has saved OUR lives as well. You A. might want to have respect for what God has done in people's lives and B. Might want to examine what has made you so angry that you feel you need to argue with people on something you don't believe in and are only angry about. The difference is that you are saying that something VERY REAL in our lives has not saved us when it has. I have not only a "feeling in my heart'. I've seen miracles in my life and others, so you are telling me that what saved my life is not real. I suppose also love is not real, nor hate since you can't scientifically prove it. Think about it.. be open to new things in life. If you don't find it, you don't... but don't harden your heart.

October 27, 2010 at 1:16 pm |
  5. Topher

Dogs don't pray!

Idiots.

October 27, 2010 at 10:05 am |
  6. Scott Farney

David Johnson,

I would really appreciate an opportunity to visit with you, if you're willing, about a couple of comments you've made on here.
    You can reach me at scottfarney@live.com.

My first question would be:

You only believe in something if you can prove it?

My second question would be:

Do you believe that if there is a GOD then there would be no evil, or bad things wouldn't happen to good people?

I look forward to corresponding with you.

Scott

October 27, 2010 at 8:54 am |
  7. lia

I am so proud of my brother doing the video and showing how god can use him in so many ways and i don't care if anyone if people don't agree with him either..... cause no one knows exactly what he goes thru on a daily basis or have been in his shoes either and have not seen it first hand like me and my family has and live it daily like we have. God brought this video and my brother in the world for a reason and i am so blessed and proud of my brother steven for maken this video and it has touched alot of peoples lives and will continue to touch him

October 26, 2010 at 12:40 pm |
  8. Sparkiss

Wonderful story....awful comments by disrespectful people. Oh how magnificent it is to turn a story like this into something all about you.

People today argue continuously over God...some vouch for their beliefs kindly while others bash for theirs. It seems to me that people openly attack those who do believe, and express joy in a story like this. It's so simple what you're missing...respect. You should seek to understand something beyond yourself and not seek to destroy hope others have.

October 25, 2010 at 12:26 am |
  9. David Johnson

@D-Bo

The world is material and natural. there is no evidence for anything like an immaterial or immortal soul.

All evidence points to life being a completely natural phenomenon.

All evidence indicates that who we are — "The I" — is material and dependent upon the workings of the brain. And the brain's auxiliary organs. If my kidneys worked better, my brain might function better. Yes? Yes.

If an immaterial mind, a mind existing someplace else, is what does our thinking for us, then altering the brain shouldn't produce any, changes in our thinking.

Consider: drugs, brain injury, diseases of the brain, all degrade our thinking ability.

The mind is the brain. The brain is material. So, the mind is material. Simple, yes?

When I experience brain death, I will be no more. All that I am is incorporated in my brain. When my brain dies I cease to be. I don't go to heaven. I don't go the hell. There is no evidence of any afterlife.

This is true of me and it is true of you and it is true of every person on the planet.

Cheers!

October 24, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  10. David Johnson

@D-Bo

All evidence points to life being a completely natural phenomenon.

Cheers!

October 24, 2010 at 10:48 pm |
  11. Briiiiiii

So this post will be more to the athiests and what-not. I don't label myself as a specific type of Christian, I just consider myself a Christian. I believe in God. But my beliefs are very different from most Christian's. I don't believe everything that the Bible says. I don't believe the story of Adam and Eve. I don't believe that God just created Earth and all the people and creatures living on it the way the Bible says he did. I believe in evolution. But what I believe is that God created the universe, and I believe that there are other Earths. There is no way that there is only one planet in this entireee universe that has life forms on it. That would make the rest of the universe completely useless. I think that it goes in cycles and there are occurences like the big bang that form a new world. And that evolution starts. And that's how each world is formed. But I believe that God created the universe and made it possible for these things to happen. I think that this would make sense to an athiest, considering you all believe in evolution, or something of the sort. I don't mean to offend anybody by this, I am simply stating my beliefs and possibly offering an idea to anyone who is accepting it. Because it just makes perfect sense to me. Anyone agree/disagree?
    I mean I am just a 17-year old girl. What do I know. 😛

October 24, 2010 at 10:14 pm |
  12. Shasty

This is a very cute story. This man was suffering and the joy and companionship from his dog has brought him peace, and inner peace is a great healer. If you can't believe in an afterlife, ask yourself then why you are here. I would rather be a Christian than a Muslim who are murderers doing the will of Allah. My God does not will us to commit murder. And there are people out there who have had near death experiences and say there is a heaven and a hell.

October 24, 2010 at 2:08 pm |
  13. laursaurus

What a touching video with a very profound story behind it. Dogs and cats are blessings that uniquely evolved as companions to our species. We owe our survival to each other. Whatever this man experienced was profoundly meaningful to him. He had not only survived life-threatening injuries, but also a near-death emotionally and spiritually. Whatever a complete stranger thinks is irrelevant. It is very irritating how cynical non-believers enjoy mocking anything positive attributed to personal faith and dwelling on the negative. After all, this was a private family moment that was lifted from Facebook to bring others a little joy. Maybe it's too heart-warming for some.
    If you decide to only focus on imperfection as proof of no supreme being, all you've actually done is criticize God for not doing things your way. When my parents refused to give me a pony for Christmas, would I have then logically concluded that they weren't my real parents. Therefore, my parents probably didn't exist. Even a small child is able to think more rationally than a lot of self-centered non-believers.

October 24, 2010 at 12:42 pm |
  14. David Johnson

@D-Bo

Come, answer my post. I have questions! Come I will drive that silliness demon out of you!

1) How can a moral god behave immorally? We find many stories about what God has done or had His followers do. These murders and bouts of insecurity are contrary to basic moral principles. At the same time, God is described as the source of morality, the moral law giver. How can this be, D-Bo?

Jesus had this to say:
    Matthew 7:17 Likewise every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit.
    Luke 6:43 "No good tree bears bad fruit, nor does a bad tree bear good fruit.

A good god can't do evil things! So, god could be evil or he could not exist. I'm checking the "doesn't exist" box, myself.

2) Why is there so much suffering/evil if god is omni-benevolent and omnipotent? Either god doesn't care or He does not exist. Which one gets your vote? LOL!

Happy Trails Pardner!

October 24, 2010 at 1:43 am |
  15. David Johnson

@D-Bo

The Power Of Christ Compels You!

Jesus had this to say:
    Luke 6:43 "No good tree bears bad fruit, nor does a bad tree bear good fruit.

Happy Trails Pardner!

October 24, 2010 at 1:36 am |
    • Peter F

Or you've chosen to ignore orthodox Christian theology regarding the condition of man, creation, etc.

October 24, 2010 at 1:41 am |
    • David Johnson

@Peter F

You never responded to my last post on the Chilean Miners blog. I wish you would do so. Here is a link to the blog:

October 24, 2010 at 1:49 am |
  16. Joe Smith

You religious folks scare the bejezuz out of me. Perhaps all the devote Christians, Jews, and Muslims should section off some land for themselves and have one giant free-for-all. Further refine your belief in god in the resulting blood and gore and death. Good luck, good god, good night. Yikes.

October 24, 2010 at 1:03 am |
  17. David Johnson

@D-Bo

This was a comment I made a little while back. The thread is not working well. It placed the thread oddly. I am reposting it here.

Atheism is simply the absence of belief that any gods exist. We don't grow a tail and horns.

I will repost my comment on morality:

There are no set rules for behavior that cannot be changed. No objective morality. All morality is relative. Subjective.

Our morals evolved along with our intellect. It is part of the survival of our species.

I watched a YouTube video of a school of piranha attacking a dead animal. They were ferocious in their feeding frenzy. The cool part, was that none of the piranha was bitten by his fellow piranha. Why? 'cause this action would endanger the survival of the species. It is a survival mechanism that evolved.

We learn our morals and our religion from our parents.

Society stamps every individual with its concepts. If you were born in U. S., you have many Christian concepts whether you are religious or not. The people of Iran have Muslim concepts.

If you or any of the fundies were adopted by Muslims when you were babies, you would be followers of the religion of Islam. All children are born atheist.

Nothing is always right or always wrong. War, killing, is wrong, but if you have a Hitler in the world, it is not as wrong as allowing him to continue killing. Abortion is wrong. But it is less wrong than giving birth to a baby conceived in in_cest or ra_pe. Or to a mother who has no means to provide for it.

Society must decide what they will allow and not allow, based on an action's effect on society. Gay marriage has no bad effect on society. It should be allowed. Murder has a very negative impact on society. It should not be allowed.

Notice how god is not needed for any of these decisions?

If everything must have a cause, then God must have a cause.

If there can be anything without a cause, it may just as well be the universe as God, so that there cannot be any validity in that argument.

It is exactly of the same nature as the Indian’s view, that the world rested upon a tortoise; and when someone said, “How about the tortoise?”, the Indian said, “Suppose we change the subject.” – Bertrand Russell

You never answered my questions on how an immoral god can be the giver of objective morals? Did you miss my post on this? I will repost:

God had a man believe he was going to sacrifice his son to Him. Do you know how traumatic that would be for a father and his son?
    If you had the power would you do this? Would you be so insecure?

There was a man who loved God. God made a bet with Satan that even if the man were tortured, his Possessions taken, and his children killed, he would still love God and never curse Him. God won the bet.
    Would you do that? Would you kill a man's children for a bet?

God drowned most of the organism on the planet. Lots of suffering there.

In order to "forgive" humans their sins, god sacrificed his own son. He allowed Jesus to be tortured and crucified.

God will burn humans for all eternity. How is that moral or just? Would you do that? If a puppy peed on the floor, would you hold him over a burner?

I submit to you, that the God of Abraham is morally bankrupt. He has murdered men, women, children, babies and animals. He is blood thirsty.

I am more moral than your god.

The fairy story, was to illustrate to you, the frustration and futility of trying to prove a negative. Remember, you have been asking everyone to do so. It is a stupid request.

It is the burden of the person making the extraordinary claims, to supply evidence. I explained to you why, in the fairy story post. It would not be your burden to determine how the fairies came to be etc. I am making the claim. Your post on this was lame. I explained how I could keep coming up with silly stuff. You would spend all your time proving my claims wrong.

It is the burden of the person making the extraordinary claim, to supply the extraordinary evidence to prove their claim is so.

So D-Bo prove that god exists. Otherwise, I am free to ignore your claim.

Happy Trail Pardner!

October 23, 2010 at 8:18 pm |
  18. hannahgrams

Absence of proof is not proof of absence.

October 23, 2010 at 7:20 pm |
    • David Johnson

@hannahgrams:

"In some circ_umstances it can be safely assumed that if a certain event had occurred, evidence of it could be discovered by qualified investigators. In such circ_umstances it is perfectly reasonable to take the absence of proof of its occurrence as positive proof of its non-occurrence." (Introduction to Logic, Copi, 1953, Page 95)

If it rained this morning, water will have collected in the depressions. Mom's clothes on the line will be wet. If the depressions and the clothes are dry then we can conclude it did not rain. So absence of evidence (water) could be considered evidence of absence. This is used in science a lot.

Cheers!

October 23, 2010 at 8:37 pm |
  19. GreatWhite

Romans – 10And not only so, but(A) also when Rebekah had conceived children by one man, our forefather Isaac, 11though they were not yet born and had done nothing either good or bad—in order that God’s purpose of election might continue, not because of works but because of(B) him who calls— 12she was told,(C) "The older will serve the younger." 13As it is written,(D) "Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated."

14What shall we say then?(E) Is there injustice on God’s part? By no means! 15For he says to Moses,(F) "I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion." 16So then it depends not on human will or exertion,[a] but on God, who has mercy. 17For the Scripture says to Pharaoh,(G) "For this very purpose I have raised you up, that I might show my power in you, and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth." 18So then he has mercy on whomever he wills, and he hardens whomever he wills.

19You will say to me then, "Why does he still find fault? For(H) who can resist his will?" 20But who are you, O man,(I) to answer back to God?(J) Will what is molded say to its molder, "Why have you made me like this?" 21(K) Has the potter no right over the clay, to make out of the same lump(L) one vessel for honorable use and another for dishonorable use? 22What if God, desiring to show his wrath and to make known his power, has endured with much patience(M) vessels of wrath(N) prepared for destruction, 23in order to make known(O) the riches of his glory for vessels of mercy, which he(P) has prepared beforehand for glory—

I think this explains the comments from the athiests. does for me anyway.

I have enjoyed reading the comments from both sides. In particular D-Bo's argument with David Johnson. One thing I am sure of is that David Johnson has it all figured out. He has an answer for everything....but really nothing. No such thing as morals, can't explain the beginning or the end, no good or bad (evil)... It is really easy to live that way and play like you are intelligent, but unfortunately it shows you are a pseudo-intellectual and never go any deeper...the first level is soooo comfortable. It is either laziness, or cowardice but either way, he leaves everything open because coming to answer and eventually having to admit he is wrong would cost him everything his life is based on. I will pray for you, whether you like it or not. And the rest of the Atheists on here as well.

October 23, 2010 at 6:36 pm |
  20. David Johnson

@D-Bo

You say I/we keep wanting to put god in a test tube. Well yes.

This alleged god has no place in any scientific equations, plays no role in any scientific explanations, cannot be used to predict any events, does not describe anything or force that has yet been detected, and there are no models of the universe in which a god's presence is either required, productive, or useful.

God does not exist, as far as science can tell. This isn't absolute. It does not deny for all time any possible existence of god.

It is a statement based on what science currently knows.

Happy Trail Pardner!