home
RSS
Trick or Treating Debate, Saturday or Sunday?
October 28th, 2010

Trick or Treating Debate, Saturday or Sunday?

Editor's Note: CNN's Kelly Marshall Smoot files this report from Washington, DC.

There is a bit of a controversy brewing in this year’s Halloween cauldron over when to Trick or Treat. Each October 31st, little vampires, witches, ballerinas, and astronauts know it is time to head outside to fill their baskets, pillow cases, and buckets with candy.

But what happens when Halloween falls on a Sunday?

Some towns across the country have officially changed their Trick or Treating night to Saturday, some families are opting to keep their kids home, and others say the night provides a good opportunity to get out and meet your neighbors.

When are you celebrating Halloween?

In Boston, Massachusetts, the Turleys are taking their kids to three different Halloween activities earlier in the week but will stay home on Sunday.

“Because of our religious beliefs, our family has decided that Sunday should be focused on Christ and we feel that Halloween would distract us from our focus,” said Brittany Turley.

Turley’s little Fairy, Buzz Lightyear, and Dinosaur costumed children might miss out on the Sunday door-to-door Trick or Treating activities but she doesn’t think they will mind. “Our small children are flexible and they will understand. If anything, they will be burned out by Halloween,” she said.

Amy Null of Sierra Vista, Arizona, agrees. She loves Halloween but says it is too irreverent to Trick or Treat on Sunday. “I think it's perfectly fine for Halloween, or any other non-religious holiday, to be celebrated on Saturday instead of Sunday,” she said.

Caroline Bingham, author of The Bingham Diaries and Mormon Mommy Blogs lives in Virginia and plans to take her kids Trick or Treating on Sunday.

“I don’t have any issue with having it on Saturday or Sunday,” she said. “I think it is fun and a great neighborhood activity.”

Bingham recently polled her blog readers about whether they planned to Trick or Treat on Saturday or Sunday. The results surprised her and she said there was no middle ground in the responses she received.

Bingham said a lot of her readers were against celebrating Halloween on Sunday and felt that the holiday itself is evil and that those on the other side of the argument saw Halloween and Trick or Treating as a way to connect with friends and neighbors.

“What could be more Christ-like than getting out and getting to know your neighbors?” asked Bingham.

Some towns, like Covington, Virginia, and Sulphur, Louisiana, however made the Trick or Treating decision for their residents.

Covington took the matter to its City Council and in a 4-1 vote, declared the night for Trick or Treating was Saturday, a choice this city also made the last time Halloween fell on a Sunday.

Rob Bennett is Covington’s Mayor and a science teacher at the local high school who said he heard from a lot of residents who thought Saturday would be a better night for Trick or Treating.

“We can’t change the day of Halloween but we can change the day we Trick or Treat,” said Bennett.

Bennett explained all but one the churches in Covington were planning big Halloween activities on Saturday and that they didn’t want to cancel Sunday evening services so that people could stay home to greet the Trick or Treaters.

“Our town is pretty faith based and I’ve not had one email or call from anyone upset that we changed Trick or Treat,” said Bennett.

The city of Sulphur, Louisiana, voted to hold Trick or Treating festivities on Saturday for more secular reasons, including the fact that Sunday is a school night and the change to Daylight Savings is later this year.

Assistant City Manager, Wes Smith said they received hundreds of calls from citizens who wanted the change but admitted that if Halloween was on a Monday or Tuesday, the city probably would not have changed it.

“Sunday nights are not what they used to be growing up so I don’t think religion is as big of an issue, the school night would have been the majority concern,” said Smith. However, he said he was glad for the change for personal reasons. “I’ve got kids and I’m a lot happier going out on Saturday than Sunday,” he said.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Holidays • United States

1. Tony Miller

If the christian church had not moved All Saints Day to the day after Samhain then this wouldn't be an issue. Another example of early christianity taking over the holidays of other cultures so it could grow.

October 28, 2010 at 12:29 pm |
  2. calm down

woah calm down im a christian and know its wrong but im not gonna get in the way of what others want to do. Sure it's wrong but something small like this should not involve the church. I think that going out asking for candy should be on saturday because kids like to stay up late looking for treats. It's just better for the kids and it does'nt interfere with them getting up in the morning for school. Though if parents and kids want to risk it then go ahead i don't celebrate halloween anyway.

October 28, 2010 at 12:28 pm |
  3. kat george

Interesting comments. My birthday falls on halloween;
    While I still enjoy it for both reasons, my mom, who became a fund christain, does not.
    She now will send me a card but considers me as "born on the devils day" & witches high-most important day.
    Any day is what you make of it. It doesn't have special powers.
    So for me, I will have candy for sunday on the porch & birthday cake in the dining room & will be by myself as my mom & family now consider me evil. Guess being left-handed tipped the scales!

October 28, 2010 at 12:22 pm |
    • Caroline Bingham

I'll come eat cake with you.

October 28, 2010 at 12:27 pm |

@kat george

Yes, I agree with your family. As I was typing this to you, my Jesus Sense, not to be confused with Spiderman's spider sense, went off. I get this tingling in my heart. I know that Jesus is telling me to BEWARE!

Sorry.

October 28, 2010 at 12:32 pm |
    • MadPanda

You should do your mom a favor and send her a short essay explaining where holloween came from and why she should not hate it. Or just let her continue being a illogical faith-head.

October 28, 2010 at 12:35 pm |
    • ThinkItSayIt

@ David-
      Seriously dude? Jesus sense?! To condemn another for something she didn't even have control over, like a birth date? I'm sure your parents are equally disturbed by you but for totally different reasons!

October 28, 2010 at 1:04 pm |

@ThinkItSayIt

I can't explain it to you. It is just something born again people experience. Read you bible and pray. Jesus will reveal this to you. Remember: Some things we just can't understand. God works in mysterious ways.

October 28, 2010 at 1:23 pm |

@ThinkItSayIt
      You said, "To condemn another for something she didn't even have control over, like a birth date?"

Do you realize, it is Christian doctrine, everyone born is guilty of a sin committed by their most distant ancestors, < 10,000 years ago?

Saint Augustine said all descendants of Adam (that being the entire human race) were created with fundamentally flawed semen and inherited the Original Sin from all of their descendants.

All are guilty, without our control.

Does this not make sense, brother?

October 28, 2010 at 1:47 pm |

@ThinkItSayIt

One more thought on this, if a human were cloned, would it be without original sin? Would the fact it exists mean it has a soul?

Would if be okay to part out your clone as your parts wear out? A kidney here, and eye there?

October 28, 2010 at 3:21 pm |
    • Frogist

@DJ: Whoa! I thought it was the eggs that were sinful not the sperrrms? After all it was that darn girl that ate the apple/pomegranate/fig of evilness?

October 28, 2010 at 3:22 pm |
  4. Becca

If you're choosing to do trick or treating or Halloween then you should know what it is, what it means, and why you're doing it. Participating in a pagan ritual is serious so you should be informed about it, especially if your kids are doing it too! I'm a Christian and don't do Halloween on any day.

October 28, 2010 at 12:19 pm |

@Becca

You are so right. There was this girl, when I was in like 5th grade. She went Trick or Treating. When she got home she was spitting up green pea soup and her head was spinning round and round. And such a mouth on her!

Anyway, Halloween is not harmless. I personally hold my King Jimmy tight until morning!

Jesus loves you!

October 28, 2010 at 12:28 pm |
    • lostintranslation

@ David
      Oh thank God you were there to cast the demon out!

October 28, 2010 at 12:40 pm |
  5. GZ

Rally to Restore Sanity baby! Go Frogist.

October 28, 2010 at 12:19 pm |
    • Frogist

If you're there I'll be the Christine O'Donnell in the orange and purple hat and I'll be accompanied by Zombie Dubya. I'm sure we'll find each other in the crowd LOL!

October 28, 2010 at 1:50 pm |
  6. MMB

I. LOVE. THIS. COMMENT. THREAD.

Amen.

October 28, 2010 at 12:18 pm |
  7. phoenix

johnson your in my ballpark these knucklehead heathen are emulating satan there space cadet parents should have there kids dress like shepards or robes like the apostles

October 28, 2010 at 12:18 pm |
  8. Abbyka

I'm sure this has happened before in my lifetime but I don't remember there being so much whining about it. But then again, Halloween has gone downhill since my youth. There just aren't as many trick or treaters out anymore.

October 28, 2010 at 12:17 pm |
  9. GZ

I think that WOW is compelely correct. I live in Utah, one of the most religous states and the fourth of July was celebrated on the 3rd of July. Since there is no rule or law against trick or treating on Sunday, I will trick or treat on both Sunday and Saturday.

October 28, 2010 at 12:16 pm |
  10. Kris

David Johnson, take a chill pill AND follow Jesus' example if you are to call yourself a Christian

October 28, 2010 at 12:07 pm |
    • Peace2All

@David Johnson

Yeah... you fundie you. How can you call yourself a 'real' christian, and not be following christ's teachings. I will pray for you. ! 🙂

October 28, 2010 at 12:15 pm |
    • JT

This "David" is apparently a hell-bound lost soul deserving to be engulfed in the unquenchable flames of hellfire for all eternity. That will teach him to mock baby Jesus. I bet he's really one of those atheists who believes in science and thinks he's so smart. Me and Jesus will be laughing at him from our heavenly perch as his screams reach our ears. Glory!

October 28, 2010 at 3:13 pm |
  11. Honesty

Who cares? Christians in America are a joke anyway. You can't agree on the rules of your own religion, and all celebrate your own "version" of it. And the ignorance is mind-blowing. Don't you have better things to do than argue about the holiness of a holiday where kids dress up and run around the neighborhood asking for candy?

October 28, 2010 at 12:04 pm |
    • Peace2All

@Honesty

Well said.

October 28, 2010 at 12:11 pm |
    • lostintranslation

Thank you, voice of reason!

October 28, 2010 at 12:23 pm |
    • Jennifer

This was the BEST comment I read in this entire column. Very well said and I agree 100%.

October 28, 2010 at 12:34 pm |
    • Kim

I take exception to the comment that all Christians in America are a joke, 'Honesty.' Some of us (although admittedly we are not the loudest group) feel there is nothing wrong with celebrating and enjoying holidays like Halloween and think the notion of moving the night of trick or treating because Halloween falls on Sunday is silly. There are many of us moderate, mainstream Christians who are not actually crazy and don't believe in the extremist conservative Christian movement any more than you do. Please try and not lump us all together.

October 28, 2010 at 12:49 pm |
    • Cheryl Mason

It's because nothing says evil like candy. NOTHING!

October 28, 2010 at 12:53 pm |
  12. BuddyKowalsk

Well they moved Christmas to right after Labor Day (as per retailers)...why not move Halloween?

October 28, 2010 at 12:00 pm |
  13. Kris

David Johnson, take a chill pill

October 28, 2010 at 11:59 am |
    • JT

What's the problem, can't handle truth from a True Christian®?

October 28, 2010 at 4:00 pm |
    • nightquestor

@JT; the only true christian was crucified. The rest are just pretenders, with their own deluded ideas.

October 29, 2010 at 11:10 am |
  14. Reality

Happy "All Hallows Day/Evening" to you all and to all good night!!! 🙂

Halloween (or Hallowe'en) is an annual holiday observed on October 31, primarily in the United States, Canada, Ireland, and the United Kingdom. It has roots in the Celtic festival of Samhain and the Christian holiday All Saints' Day, but is today largely a secular celebration.

Common Halloween activities include trick-or-treating, wearing costumes and attending costume parties, carving jack-o'-lanterns, ghost tours, bonfires, apple bobbing, visiting haunted attractions, committing pranks, telling ghost stories or other frightening tales, and watching horror films.

The word Halloween is first attested in the 16th century and represents a Scottish variant of the fuller All-Hallows-Even ("evening"), that is, the night before All Hallows Day. Up through the early 20th century, the spelling "Hallowe'en" was frequently used, eliding the "v" and shortening the word. Although the phrase All Hallows is found in Old English (ealra hālgena mæssedæg, mass-day of all saints), All-Hallows-Even is itself not attested until 1556.[10]

October 28, 2010 at 11:48 am |
  15. Mom

In my area, Trick or treating has been on the Thursday before Halloween for as long as I can remember. It's preferred to have it on a school night, because it hopefully discourages kids from staying out too late causing trouble.
    There are churches and some individual groups/schools that will hold events on Friday, and Saturday night. The events are usually open to the public and give families an opportunity to get out in their neighborhoods one night, then enjoy family time in a safe/controlled environment the next 2 nights.

October 28, 2010 at 10:55 am |

@Mom

Our church group did that. We built this cave, with a Styrofoam rock in front of the entrance. We had a string rigged up so that when the kids stood in front of it, we could roll the stone away.

Brother Carl wrapped himself up in strips of cloth, just like he had just come back from the dead. The fat S.O.B. was supposed to just stand up and yell, "Jesus died for you". Instead, he came running out of the burial cave. Little Suzy Barton wet her pants and Paulie Jr. keeps asking if Mummy Jesus is gonna' get him.

That damn Carl. We excommunicated his fat ass for that little trick.

Cheers!

October 28, 2010 at 12:52 pm |
    • jays4eternity

Where i live trick or treat night is also on thursday. We do it to help prevent accidents from the adults celebrating on the weekend.

October 28, 2010 at 1:24 pm |
  16. FernWise

I wonder what some families do when 4th of July or December 31 are Sundays. Do they not celebrate the 4th or go to a New Year's Eve party?

But theologically – as a Celtic Reconstructionist Pagan – the Celtic holy day that Halloween evolved from was never part of the "Roman" calendar. Thus, attributing it to October 31 is a modern 'convenience'. Did the ancient Celts use a lunar date? Did each village determine the date based on the first killing frost? Who knows?

And who really cares?

Halloween, unlike the holy day Samhain that I celebrate, is a US cultural thing. It's not seen in, say, Australia, a country with an even deeper and more recent Celtic colonization history than we have in the US.

Party on!

October 28, 2010 at 10:36 am |
    • Jenna

We will not be trick-or-treating on Sunday. We observe a strict Sabbath – we go to church & then spend the day as a family. We do not go to restaurants or stores. When the 4th of July or New Year's Eve falls on Sunday, we stay home & do something with the kids. It is what we have decided works best for our family.

October 28, 2010 at 11:01 am |
    • FernWise

Jenna, just how 'strick' is 'strict' for you? I'm curious because, having been raised in an Orthodox Jewish family, strict for us would include not even tearing toilet paper, no cooking, no driving, no carrying things in public, unscrewing the bulb in the refrigerator, etc.

October 28, 2010 at 11:12 am |
    • anonymous

How ironic since the Sabbath is really Saturday anyway. Funny how some Christians will follow all but one of the 10 Commandments.

October 28, 2010 at 12:55 pm |
    • cookie

The sabbath is SATURDAY, people. SATURDAY. Look it up. Saturday is the 7th day of the week...don't believe me? Look at the calendar. You guys who are trying to keep the sabbath holy have been messing up all along...otherwise, you'd be going to church on SATURDAY, not Sunday.

October 28, 2010 at 2:13 pm |
  17. Daniel

All Hallow's Eve is not a movable feast. If October 31 falls on a Sunday, then Hallowe'en – and its proper observance – falls on Sunday. I will not be distributing treats on Saturday. I will have a bowl of candy on hand Sunday evening, however, to reward all the children who are willing to be sabbath-breakers as they happily extort candy from strangers. And yes, it is a pagan observance. So is Easter. And Christmas. No, really – look it up.

October 28, 2010 at 10:11 am |

@Daniel

Yeah right! Like my Saviour would have been born or resurrected on a pagan holiday! Try again non-believer. We fundies are way to smart for your shenanigans!

Jesus loves you and I tolerate you!

October 28, 2010 at 10:24 am |
    • lostintranslation

@ David
      Are you being serious?
      I thought you were being clever.
      NOw IDK

October 28, 2010 at 12:21 pm |
    • Amanda

You are right for keeping the ritual of halloween on Sun-day because that is the Day in which Satan is getting homage paid to him by majority claimed to be christians. As for the Seventh day Saturday which is the Sabbath Sunset fri to Sunset Sat I am glad it is not on this day because it is a Holy Day to Our Living God and Creator. All who participate in these pagan holidays are participating in demonic activities, which make door ways for demons into your lives.

October 28, 2010 at 12:29 pm |
    • Lily

Okay, I'm a Pagan, and I understand your point. But Halloween and Christmas are long-established Christian holidays. It doesn't matter if there were Pagan observances around those dates in antiquity. It doesn't matter if some of the ancient customs survived (which is actually debatable). Christians created new holidays, with new theological meaning, that fit into Christian culture so well that they have survived to the present day. Ancient Pagan observances apparently influenced their choice of dates, but that is all. These are undeniably Christian holidays today, regardless of their origins.

October 28, 2010 at 12:37 pm |
    • lostintranslation

@ Amanda
      Do I know you? That comment made in a sarcastic tone would sound like a dear friend of mine named Amanda. I'm just curious if you were being serious. I'll txt Amanda.

October 28, 2010 at 12:38 pm |

@Amanda

You are so right. See my comment to Becca. OMG! How can we make the people see they are playing with fire?

Once when the kids wanted to Trick or Treat, I made the 6 year old carry this big honkin cardboard cross with them, wherever they went. It must have worked, because they came home safe and sound.

Hope this comment helps!
      Jesus love you.

October 28, 2010 at 12:40 pm |
    • nightquestor

@David Johnson; if you beleive your savoir was born on December 25th. you are showing how little you truly know.
      The early Christian church did not celebrate Jesus' birth. It wasn't until A.D. 440 that the church officially proclaimed December 25 as the birth of Christ. This was not based on any religious evidence but on a pagan feast. Saturnalia was a tradition inherited by the Roman pagans from an earlier Babylonian priesthood. December 25 was used as a celebration of the birthday of the sun god. It was observed near the winter solstice.

October 28, 2010 at 12:52 pm |

@nightquestor

Oh come on! You need to spin that to the people who believe in evolution instead of the truth.

Don't you think Jesus would have told me, if his birthday wasn't December 25? I didn't just fall off the turnip truck.

You thinking people are always forgetting the spiritual connection between believers and our Creator. Would god let us believe a lie? No way!

Repent! Before it is too late!

October 28, 2010 at 1:34 pm |
    • Pagan John

@Lily
      Yes, but most of the present day trappings of the holidays, passed down through centuries of tradition, were taken from paganism. Christmas trees, Easter bunnies, Halloween pumpkins, etc.

October 28, 2010 at 1:51 pm |
    • JT

@David,

I hear you my brother in Christ. On Sunday I am turning my house into one of those Christian Hell House displays. I will have on display all the debauchery of the day. I will invite the little devils in and make them view Satan spawned atheist scientists butchering babies as they do their Stem Cell Research work. I will make them view racks of test tubes holding microscopic zygotes. I will also stuff Chick tracts in their bags as they leave in terror. They will be begging for salvation by the time I'm done with them. Glory!!!

October 28, 2010 at 2:56 pm |

@JT

I can feel the love of Jesus in you brother!

Actually giving out Chick Tracts could be really funny. Stuff them in their little bags while you scream at their parents, how they are going to burn in hell for all eternity.

Let's put fun back into halloween!

October 28, 2010 at 3:13 pm |
  18. Frogist

Is this really a controversy? Are people really that divided about when they will be taking their kids out because of their christianity? I cannot fathom it. Whatever. I've been celebrating Halloween since Oct 1st! And it won't stop till Monday! Heck, I'll be in Washington on Sat for the Rally to Restore Sanity anyway.

October 28, 2010 at 9:41 am |
    • David Johnson

The non-believers are always trying to mess with god's people! Prayer in schools, Evilution, and now moving one of the the Christian Holidays to a different day. Have they no respect for their creator?

October 28, 2010 at 10:29 am |
    • Kris

Yeah Frogist, you go!

October 28, 2010 at 11:57 am |
    • Pagan John

I'll see you there!

Me and my wife will be in (TOS) Star Trek uniforms, holding signs with Star Trek references. Probably won't be able to pick us out of *that* crowd, but we'll be there.

October 28, 2010 at 1:35 pm |
    • cliff

Restoring sanity.
      Now THAT might restore sanity to a dying/gutless Obamaite reegime.
      As to freaky mask night.....no thanks. Too many drunk devils out on the road.

October 28, 2010 at 1:46 pm |
    • Pagan John

"I assume you are in favor of the removal of Obama and all other leftist/socialist/democratic/ anti-illegal and muslim lovers?"

You're one of the people needing sanity.

October 28, 2010 at 1:49 pm |
    • Frogist

@Pagan John: Awesome! Resistence is futile?
      BTW I think cliff must be going to that other rally... the one about fear.

October 28, 2010 at 3:02 pm |
  19. Scott

WOW, what an idiot! Jesus never celebrated Halloween! He wouldn't have had the Jews even done so. It is a pagan holiday and the people interviewed in this article are hypocrites for celebrating this obviously un-christian holiday. They use their mock-holiness to make people think that celebrating Hallowwen on Sunday would be wrong because that day should be set aside for worshiping God. God is disgusted with them for touching something unclean, unscriptural, spritistic, demonic, etc. All holidays have disgusting, pagan backgrounds and should not be celebrated by a true Christian. This isn't even an option to be discussed among God's people. They already know not to do this and have stopped practicing these unclean ceremonies that have infiltrated the Christian religion. This apostasy started almost 1900 years ago but especially in the fourth century when Constantine got his hands in the mix. Fortunatley, the Truth is now being taught throughout the earth. All people on this planet have the opportunity to learn the Truth and free themselves from false teachings. Find any Jehovah's Witness and open up the bible with them and you will learn the Truth!

October 28, 2010 at 9:34 am |
    • Luke

Sarcasm much?

October 28, 2010 at 9:35 am |

@Scott

I have faith that Jesus and his disciples participated in the Halloween festivities. Faith is all I need. When I pray about it, I feel Jesus telling me that He did indeed!

You don't understand, because you are not born again. Many things will be revealed to you, once you accept that there is a creator and that he totally adores you!

Go in peace my son, and sin no more!

October 28, 2010 at 10:21 am |
    • wow

Halloween was promoted by the church. The church put All Saints Day on november first (it used to be in may) so that they could snap up pagans who would otherwise have been doing pagan rituals. That's right. The church MADE halloween... deal with it...

October 28, 2010 at 10:38 am |
    • Kris

Dear, dear Scott,
      Halloween is actually a Christian holiday known as All Saint's Eve or Hallowed Eve in some places in the world. Ghoulish garb and decor are meant to scare away the Devil, not worship him. You are of course right that these celebrations occurred in pre-Christian times, but so did Christmas (by other names) and Easter (by other names). The mere fact that Halloween ticks you off so, makes it all the more important to celebrate

October 28, 2010 at 11:53 am |
    • Dean

Amem to that... Except for the Jehovah's Witness part

October 28, 2010 at 11:53 am |
    • Peace2All

@Scott

Whoosh...!!! The sound of DJ's posting goin' right over your head. Please look up 'sarcasm' and things that are 'funny' while you are at it.

October 28, 2010 at 11:55 am |
    • lostintranslation

Christmas is a pagan holiday. Just thought I'd let you know since youre on a high horse.

October 28, 2010 at 12:19 pm |
    • David Johnson

I heard that Peter, the first Pope, went to the first Halloween celebration dressed as a Ghost.

October 28, 2010 at 12:22 pm |
    • nightquestor

@Scott, you realize that even Christmas has roots in Pagan Religion right.
      How about we move Christmas to the 1st?

October 28, 2010 at 12:42 pm |
    • nightquestor

@lostintranslation; Sorry did not realize you had already noted this to Scott.

October 28, 2010 at 12:44 pm |
    • lostintranslation

@nightquestor
      I'm just glad someone told him.

October 28, 2010 at 12:49 pm |
    • Pagan John

As a pagan, I love this holiday; it's the one pagan holiday stolen by Christendom that didn't get a Christian relabeling.
      Like Easter, Christmas, Michaelmas, etc.

Our community is celebrating "Beggar's Night", the trick or treat night, on Thursday Night. I will be conducting my Halloween/Samhain rituals Saturday night around midnight if possible. This is the time of year when the veil between the worlds is at its weakest, and I have some ancestors way back down the bloodline that I want to try and get in touch with. Also, my wife's father passed away before last Christmas, so this is the appropriate time to honor the passing of his spirit.

October 28, 2010 at 1:34 pm |
    • rachael

Dugh! the church took over and destroyed tons of religions and beliefs other than there own. This is a pagan holiday! whose savior??? They just destroy other beliefs and traditions to be dominate. Just how they took over Samhain which is to have bonfires and celebrate the end of harvest and in order to assimilate the Celtic people they took it over to become Halloween. They even took over Lumeria on May 13 and made it all saints day Nov.. 1

October 28, 2010 at 1:40 pm |
  20. David Johnson

I think Halloween should be celebrated on the 31st, which is Sunday. If it was good enough for Jesus, it is good enough for me!

October 28, 2010 at 8:59 am |
    • Mike, not me

Can you put a lol or something at the end of your statement so we know you are being sarcastic.

October 28, 2010 at 10:02 am |
    • Peace2All

@Mike, not me

And... you can't tell the difference yet...? Whether he is posting and making fun of the fundies in a 'direct attack' or doing so in a polarized 'sarcastic' manner.

The intention is the same..... Just the 'sarcasm' tactic, tends to be much, much funnier in my opinion.

October 28, 2010 at 12:01 pm |
    • Peace2All

@Megatron

Yep, it makes total sense... doesn't it...? Yikes...

October 28, 2010 at 12:02 pm |
    • lostintranslation

If you celebrate (AKA allow your children to trick or treat dressed up) then it shouldnt matter to you what day of the week its on. GO to church in the morning like any other sunday and get the children ready for their fun night afterwards. Halloween has nothing to do with religion if you dont let it. CHildren want to dress up and get candy, end of story.

October 28, 2010 at 12:16 pm |
    • cliff

I will not be.
      You'll find David in his Satan costume.

October 28, 2010 at 1:40 pm |
    • Not All Docs Play Golf

Christine O'Donnell just tweeted that Halloween is a liberal socialist atheist welfare handout scheme, and that mice with human brains told her so.

October 28, 2010 at 1:52 pm |
    • Ed

David,
      I can't tell if your koking or a fool. I hope joking. If your not joking you obviously have no knowledge of history and your Biblical is at best suspect. Jesus would not a have celedbrated Halloween. It is a relegious holiday both pagan and christian. Celebrated in remebreance of the dead out of love and respect. Like all holidays it has been over commercialized in the U.S. lost it meaning and become an excuse to get candy. At this point is is merely for fun for most. As for lecturing from the Bible leve to the priest. some of you have use Biblical quotes to make your points personaaly I prefer Jugge not lest ye be judge or even better Love thy neighbor as you would thy self. In any case David if you are not joking please learn some history

October 28, 2010 at 1:53 pm |
    • Praise the Lard

Jesus does not like Halloween. He always ends up with a bunch of M&M's and they fall through the holes in his hands.

October 28, 2010 at 1:54 pm |
    • Frogist

@cliff: That's not a costume... LOL!

October 28, 2010 at 3:08 pm |
    • Peace2All

@Frogist

Nice..!!! LOL...!!!

October 28, 2010 at 4:07 pm |
    • Casual Observer

Old JC should be able to come up with very snappy costumes – maybe the pope can lend him something?
      The apostles can go as old hippies. there is more hocus-pocus going on within most religions then ever happens with Halloween. The Bible – both the OT & NT are some of the best works of science/horror fiction ever written. The Koran and the Hindu holy books qualify too – they would scare the crap out of anyone.

October 28, 2010 at 4:43 pm |
    • ScottK

@Ed – I beieve he was joking, not koking. Koking is what most Christian pastors do just before their hotel rendezvous with their ghey lovers...

October 28, 2010 at 5:28 pm |
    • Bob

Pathetic and weak; and your expected attempt at sarcasm and attack against Christianity is beyond old.

October 28, 2010 at 9:24 pm |
    • rebecca912

It's absolutely ridiculous to change the day of trick or treating from Sunday to Saturday, like what my tiny GA town is doing. They say it's for "religious purposes"... they don't want to celebrate this pagan holiday on Sunday. Got news for you Christrians that would rather celebrate Halloween this Saturday: Saturday IS the Sabbath day – the seventh day of the week. Therefore, the majority of Christians who think Sunday is the Holy Day of rest are terribly misinformed. If I was a faithful Christrian, I would NOT be celebrating Halloween on Saturday.

October 30, 2010 at 6:56 pm |
    • Kace

Hey ED: To a great many of us, that book is just a work of fiction, and Jesus is just a fictional character. We don't base our lives on the bible or derive any wisdom from it, but don't worry, we'll be fine.

November 1, 2010 at 7:20 am |