home
RSS
Bible app hits 10 million downloads
November 19th, 2010

Bible app hits 10 million downloads

Editor's Note: CNN's Katie Glaeser brings us this report.

Can your cell bring you closer to God?

Oklahoma based LifeChurch.tv thinks so. Tuesday the church announced more than ten million smartphone users worldwide have downloaded its free Bible application. LifeChurch hopes by having a copy handy, people will be more likely to read scripture.

The app, which is based on the church-funded website, YouVersion.com, launched in July of 2008. Since then, users have spent 3.5 billion minutes trolling through Bible passages. Yes- that was billion.

During a webcast on YouVersion.com, pastor Bobby Gruenewald announced what he called a “revolution” taking place.

“Could this be the generation that’s more engaged with God than any other generation in history?” he asked.

YouVersion’s mission is to make God’s word more accessible and they seem to have done just that with their pocket-sized psalms.

Tuesday, Gruenewald declared a challenge. He wants his app’s users to generate one billion minutes of Bible reading during January.

“We really believe if God’s words can be part of our everyday life… that in itself will transform lives.”

Enhancements are expected to roll out over the next few months on the mobile app. Users will soon be able to keep journals, highlight passages, and take part in reading programs broken down by topics of interest. The LifeChurch app is available on Apple, Android, BlackBerry and Palm platforms.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Bible • Christianity • Technology

1. Ficheye

So... if Jesus is God, who was he talking to on the cross... himself? Talking to himself in the garden of Gethsemane? He impregnated Mary with himself... and then allowed himself to be crucified? Was God schizophrenic, or was it Jesus? Is that why he was talking to himself all of the time? So, to me, there were a couple of possibilities. If God created us in his image, where is Momma God? He kind of left the women out of it. Do women like that? Does that seem fair? Jesus knew (of course) that the earth wasn't flat. Why didn't he ever straighten that issue out? He knew (of course) that his flock was going to multiply. So many questions, so few real answers. Who's killed more people in the name of their God, christians or muslims?

November 19, 2010 at 1:52 pm |
  2. Bill

Not to worry. Heaven is God's home and the Bible is God's word. But HE never pushes Himself on anyone. If you want to be with Him you can follow His word, obey Him and be at home with Him. If you don't, then go your own way. He will never force you to do anything.

November 19, 2010 at 1:49 pm |
    • Q

It's not "God" that non-believers worry about, its those who think they know his mind and self-righteously "push" on his behalf.

November 19, 2010 at 3:36 pm |
  3. JamieBMe

Pretty AWESOME Lifechurch.tv. 10 Million Downloads!
    Thanks for working so hard to develop this app and making it accessible to everyone.

I appreciate it.
    Jamie

November 19, 2010 at 1:45 pm |
  4. DPZ

Now at church it's going to look like everyone is on thier cell phone texting! 🙂 When actually they will be looking at the scriptures. lol

November 19, 2010 at 1:44 pm |
  5. H2

Coolest app I have on my phone! I downloaded this app when I stumbled across it in "marketplace" when I bought my new droid phone. Ended up using it in church last week when I forgot to bring my bible....think I will just bring my phone and use the app from now on because it's much quicker to find the verse on line than thumbing through the bible pages and the print on line is easier to read. Plus, I now have my bible handy with me at all times when I need to look up something! Kudos to the folks that did this!

November 19, 2010 at 1:44 pm |
  6. BoricuaSport

Atheist are just bitter, unhappy and empty people. A real tiny minority, compared to believers. I would not expect you to understand and believe in Jesus or God, if you had not had that special encounter with him. And for that to happen you have to really search for him, not too far cause He's right there but It will not manifest until you crave His love and accept Him as the true Leader and Savior. There is no better book than the Bible, but you have to ask for guidance when you are ready to read it, otherwise, you'll find no light or meaning.

November 19, 2010 at 1:42 pm |
    • veggiedude

No better book than the bible? I think it should be R-rated, or at least PG-13.

November 19, 2010 at 2:33 pm |
    • Frogist

@Boricua: Hate to break it to you , but most non-believers were once believers who started to ask important questions that their faith could not cover. And most, like me, felt an exquisite joy upon being relieved of the hypocrisy of trying to wrangle a useful tenet out of antiquated moral double talk. As for seeking guidance "otherwise, you'll find no light or meaning.", that's just a nice way of telling me that only the special few have god's special knowledge which can never be interpreted by the likes of the ignorant masses.

November 19, 2010 at 5:10 pm |
  7. Enoch_knows_whos_names_are_written

Pity the nihilist atheist. Dead soul walking.

November 19, 2010 at 1:41 pm |
  8. Gingeet

10 million downloads and still only 5% will actually read it. And from that 5% only 2% will comprehend what they just read is gibberish. LOL!

November 19, 2010 at 1:40 pm |
  9. Tina

I love the Bible app. It is ironic that the people here against God and the Bible, they are the ones that hate, judge & are the ones that are full of bitterness. Too bad for them. They are exactly what they say they hate. If you don't believe fine then don't, but don't waste time, to me time is to be treasured. I have a full happy life. Can you say that? By the writings here I see sad bitter people that have nothing better to do. Have a nice day!

November 19, 2010 at 1:37 pm |
    • God

If you need to believe in deities, I suggest your life isn't as full as you believe.

I believe in the tooth fairy, and all of you who don't live incredibly empty, pitiful lives.

What's the difference?

November 19, 2010 at 1:41 pm |
    • Frogist

@Tina: Apparently you decided to pick and choose which posts you read... not surprising really. You skipped over the believers who declare themselves full of love and peace but are just as ugly as you claim non-believers to be. Are Choconet's posts not bitter and hateful? What about Selena whose "my way or the highway" talk actually said she wants people to get hit by a bus? How about the poster Fred Phelps? You called people "mindless sheep". Get that beam out of your own eye before someone else has to call you out on your hypocrisy.

November 19, 2010 at 3:21 pm |
    • asrael

Thanks, Tina, for the happy, non-ironic comments...

November 19, 2010 at 3:21 pm |
    • Terre

@Frogist. I bet the Fred Phelps post was sarcasm.

November 19, 2010 at 3:56 pm |
  10. Dan B

Romans 3:4 ... : yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged. Everything in the Bible is true, it is inspired by God. Wise up.

November 19, 2010 at 1:31 pm |
    • asrael

And if you can't "wise up", spouting quotes is always a desirable option...

November 19, 2010 at 3:20 pm |
    • auguron

I suppose that makes you and everyone else like you that quotes random verses liars?

Nothing I didn't already know, to be honest.

November 19, 2010 at 3:59 pm |
  11. caddiemurray

I challenge anybody here who is dissing the Bible to read the book of John (4th book of the New Testament). Just read it. Or are you afraid of it?? Because if you're not, what harm is there in doing so (reading it)?

BTW, I LOVE the photo they used at the top of the story!!

November 19, 2010 at 1:27 pm |
    • God

May I suggest a thorough reading of The Cat in the Hat® by Doctor Seuss?

November 19, 2010 at 1:39 pm |
    • Jim

I've read the book of John. What about it?

November 19, 2010 at 1:45 pm |
    • Observer

Read it. Saw the part where Jesus said "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me" and I thought about ALL the people who died and had to go to hell before Jesus was born.

November 19, 2010 at 1:56 pm |
    • Badmojo

Read it many times over in the 30+ years I spent in the church. I still left after learning to actually think for myself and apply logic and reason to my life.

November 19, 2010 at 2:33 pm |
    • Greg

@Observer. The way to heaven before Jesus was through sacrifice, with Jesus people no longer have to sacrifice becuase he sacrificed his life for all of our lives, that is if you believe.

November 19, 2010 at 3:05 pm |
    • GSK

I challenge any Christian to answer me why an all loving GOD WOULD ASK US TO DO THESE THINGS...

"If a man commits adultery with another man's wife, both the man and the woman must be put to death." (Leviticus 20:10 NLT)
      "You should not let a sorceress live." (Exodus 22:17 NAB)
      "When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her. And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter. If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife. If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment. (Exodus 21:7-11 NLT)"

November 19, 2010 at 3:45 pm |
    • DanW

@GSK:

God made a covenant with Israel in an era when it was still a barbarous nation. In Matt 19:8 Jesus pointed out that Moses allowed certain things that were not God's best intention, because he knew Israel would not receive it. God promised to form a new covenant (Jeremiah 31:31), not just with Israel, but all of Humanity. That was fulfilled in Jesus' crucifiction and the outpouring of the Holy Spirit on the day of Pentecost.

God allowed the Israelites to hang onto some of their barbaric customs while He worked on them as a nation. He then revealed His new covenant. He is gracious to us.

November 19, 2010 at 5:11 pm |
    • Greg

GSK,

I know you won't love the answer, but that is the Old Testament. It was wrote during a time when slavery and war were everyday occurances. First point, I'm not sure, I don't claim to be an expert, but I would think that adultery in those days would result in genital mutliation and torture, at least. So I would say that is a step in the right direction. For the second, I believe that sorceress was referring to pagans where human sacrifice was common. Again, moving away from human sacrifice, in my opinion is a step in the right direction. For the third point, in the context of the time that the Old Testament was wrote, those would be ground breaking steps. You could consider them the first civil laws that women actually had.

November 19, 2010 at 5:19 pm |
    • Reallythough

The problem GSK is somehow you think the bible is responsible for the things that society at the time had chosen to do on its own. Slavery existed before the bible was written. Adultery existed before the bible was written.The bible came in and addressed the ills of human society IN THE STATE IT WAS ALREADY in until we come to today and all of these things passed away from most places that follow the teaching. And viamodern law there are STILL penalties for offenses the nature of which you mentioned. This is a good thing. Unless you would would rather live in a time when things were like that...

November 19, 2010 at 7:38 pm |
  12. frasier6670

Alot of humanity walking this earth know and feel that something is going on. People better and should start believing and seeking out GOD. If people think that ALL IS ALRIGHT in this world then truly you are a lost blind sheep. Seek GOD and JESUS out now, before it's too late for all you lost blind non-believers.

November 19, 2010 at 1:26 pm |
    • Jim

Who was it who said "Beware of false prophets"?

November 19, 2010 at 1:41 pm |
    • asrael

Thanks, frasier: when in doubt, smug always works...

November 19, 2010 at 3:18 pm |
  13. phoenix

i see all you cretin primitive forms of demon are rejecting EL ELYON [GODis not his real name like calling him sir or mistah]. word and pardon. little advice you dumb clucks his son is the only way out of this present human hades and the real deal to come.selah

November 19, 2010 at 1:25 pm |
    • God

The real god is Cthulhu. Praise be to him!

BTW, you're an imbecile.

November 19, 2010 at 1:37 pm |
    • asrael

Thanks to Phoenix for the splendid bit of name-calling: such a ... convincing ... argument...

November 19, 2010 at 3:16 pm |
    • Terre

High on meth again Phoenix?

November 19, 2010 at 3:52 pm |
    • DanW

..or maybe Phoeni is a troll. It happens all the time in the blogosphere; people pretending to be from a group they hate, just to make them look foolish. You can't take people very seriously on these pages.

November 19, 2010 at 5:01 pm |
  14. Observer

A better app to have would be Wikipedia.

November 19, 2010 at 1:25 pm |
  15. Eric

People still believe in that thing? Once you actually do read the whole thing, not just parts of it, it's pretty much impossible and illogical to believe that stuff.

November 19, 2010 at 1:21 pm |
  16. Citan

Angry Birds has 12 million downloads....but I don't see an article on that.

November 19, 2010 at 1:17 pm |
  17. GSK

Most Christians haven't even read the damn book even once.. if they did they would be as confused about the message as a deer caught in the headlights. One day GOD loves us another he wants us to kill newborns , the other day he sends bears to kill a group of children just because they made fun of a bold guy... WHO is this PSYCHO with emotional distress?

November 19, 2010 at 1:15 pm |
    • Chuck

So where does the Bible say God wants to kill newborns? Since you know so much about the Bible you should be able to quote chapter and verse for every accusation you make. Do that then maybe you can be taken seriously.

November 19, 2010 at 1:32 pm |
    • God

"Do that then maybe you can be taken seriously."

ROFL! Joke of the day!

November 19, 2010 at 1:36 pm |
    • Chuck

That's supposed to be a intelligent retort?

November 19, 2010 at 1:57 pm |
    • imastarchick

Hey Chuck you know the story of the passover? You know, God did send his angle to kill all the firstborn sons of Egypt?

November 19, 2010 at 3:04 pm |
    • Frogist

@GSK: I think you might have meant first-borns... Not that it makes much of a difference. Cruel is cruel no matter what.

November 19, 2010 at 3:05 pm |
    • GSK

Christians asking me where is it written in the bible about killing children? Is this how well you know your holy book? Read it again and you will see how GOD orders mass murders of children, women , men , etc...

November 19, 2010 at 3:38 pm |
    • Terre

@Chuck

2Kings 2:23-24

God killed 42 kids because they laughed the the bald Elijah

He actually sent 2 female bears to do the grizzly job 🙂

November 19, 2010 at 3:50 pm |
    • Frogist

@Terre: You kno' dose momma behrs can be vishuss, you betcha!!

November 22, 2010 at 1:18 pm |
  18. nick

This was the 1st Bible app I downloaded and as I recall it came out day one of the app store opening. I still use it today. I mostly use it for searches and cross referencing and use the majority of my Bible reading flipping through the pages of my print copy. I have loved all the updates and look forward to more in the future!

November 19, 2010 at 1:14 pm |
  19. Markr

Of course, this is just one of many apps of the Bible available for download.

November 19, 2010 at 1:14 pm |
  20. MS

I'm all for people reading the bible. Especially the Old Testament. The Old Testament is the strongest argument against religion that I have ever read.

November 19, 2010 at 1:13 pm |
    • asrael

But the Old Testament doesn't count, because ... because ... because I say so...

November 19, 2010 at 3:13 pm |