home
RSS
Wide out blames God for dropped ball
November 29th, 2010

Wide out blames God for dropped ball

By CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor Eric Marrapodi

Buffalo Bills wide receiver Stevie Johnson dropped a game-winning touchdown in the end zone Sunday in overtime against the Pittsburgh Steelers. Anyone who has ever tossed the pigskin around in the back yard dreams of that scenario - minus the drop, of course.

Johnson did not even have to work for the ball. Quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick's pass was text-book perfect, landing squarely in Johnson's hands.

After the game, Johnson's twitter account filed this faithy tweet:

@StevieJohnson13

I PRAISE YOU 24/7!!!!!! AND THIS HOW YOU DO ME!!!!! YOU EXPECT ME TO LEARN FROM THIS??? HOW???!!! ILL NEVER FORGET THIS!! EVER!!! THX THO...

Johnson was emotional in the post game press conference.

"It was a great call; it was something we knew we could beat them on....It came to the back of the end zone. I had the game in my hands and then dropped it. That's it."

He said the play was something he would never get over.

"How would you feel? You've got this game against the Pittsburgh Steelers and you got this kid coming up in the NFL making plays..All of a sudden, when the biggest play needs to be made, you don't make it. You feel bad. I'm devastated right now."

Just last week Johnson was fined $5,000 by the NFL by for wearing a t-shirt under his jersey that said, "Why so serious?" After scoring a touchdown, he lifted his shirt to reveal the Batman-inspired quote from the Joker.

Interestingly enough, he praised God for helping him make that catch.

At a press conference last Wednesday, Johnson said, "It happened. And if it wasn't going to happen, I wouldn't have caught the ball." Then he was asked by reporters if he regretted his actions. "I don't really regret anything. I'm playing under God. So if it happens, it happens," he said.

This brings us to a larger theological question: Does God hate the Buffalo Bills? You may remember this is the very team that lost four straight Super Bowls.

What do you think?

Check out a piece we did on this earlier: When did God become a sports fan?

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: New York • Sports • United States

1. Debbie

Well, it's about time God gets the blame for the losses and not just the praise for the victories. Maybe if God isn't paying so much attention to football games he can help the Haitians.

November 29, 2010 at 4:39 pm |
  2. Satan

Sorry dumba$$, god is a soccer fan. He does not watch football. That's my realm. Wear stupid tshirts and I'm gonna make you drop the ball. Thanks for blaming him though, it takes some of the heat off of me for wrecking the cowboys this year.

November 29, 2010 at 4:37 pm |
  3. SDFrankie

Oh, that God. He is a hoot. No time for thousands of dying Haitians. He's busy messing with the Bills, or helping the Steelers.

November 29, 2010 at 4:36 pm |
  4. Travis Y

why so serious ? this is officially them lamest god/jesus story ever. you dropped it and you stink. good to see someone point out the lack of god in the world. I would never want this sorry god either. the choices you make dictate the life you lead. Fact.

November 29, 2010 at 4:30 pm |
  5. JohnQuest

OneWhoLovesGod you are correct the surface of the planet is made of moving plates, but if you believe in God you would have to believe that God made the planet and the people he put on it.

November 29, 2010 at 4:29 pm |
    • OneWhoLovesGod

I do and he did – and whats more he created the earth out of nothing- if we were all fat dumb and happy (and rich) we would not have any opportunities to do good for other people, so God gives us the poor and the needy so that we can help them.

November 29, 2010 at 4:37 pm |
    • some emo kid

God makes people poor so others can feel good about giving them a nickel? If so, God can kiss my poor @$$.

November 29, 2010 at 4:57 pm |
    • Peace2All

@OneWhoLovesGod

What the F...?!!!??!!! 😯

Peace...

November 29, 2010 at 5:09 pm |
  6. SecularHumanist

Read Bernard Schweizer's recent book Hating God, and you'll realize that God-hatred is not all that uncommon, though people have only recently dared to voice this sentiment openly. Until then, the animosity against God had to be carefully coded in literature where it remained (mostly) unnoticed. Of course, the great God-haters (aka misotheists) in history (the Shelley's, Nietzsche's, Mark Twains, Elie Wiesel's, etc.) did not fulminate against God for such trivial reasons as dropping a game-winning ball. No, they rose in protest against God because of oppression, genocide, earthquake, and epidemic. Whether or not Johnson's TAX THO is sarcastic or not, it remains a fact that in order to express hatred for God you first need to believe in God. Thus, atheists wouldn't bother with such antidevotional stuff.

November 29, 2010 at 4:28 pm |
    • Observer

It's hard to find anything more mindless that claims that atheists hate God. How can they hate something they don't think exists? Incredible. Do people hate Lex Luthor for trying to kill Superman. Get serious.

November 29, 2010 at 4:32 pm |
  7. JohnQuest

OneWhoLovesGod, I will save the "freewill" argument for later (yes it is debatable). If God could remove pain and suffering from the world (or just from the believers) and doesn't, I think the next logical questions would be, is God worthy of worship? If he could remove cancer from a two year old and doesn't I would question (his) moral sense. If God could end a drought that kills hundreds of thousands and he "chooses" not to, you and I should both question his motives, freewill means nothing if a person is dead. Consider the following: if there were a tsunami approaching a city of 5 million and God steps in blocks the water and saves the people, how would that take away their freewill? The people still can choose the believe or not, I think it would better for freewill, now the people can decide on the facts (yes there is a God, I'm I going to follow him or not) a clear choice, not what we have today, (I'm I going to believe in an invisible, non interfering, being that is beyond my space, time and reality or am I going to believe the senses and logic that I have, all of which tells me that God does not exist)? I'm certain that all of your senses and logic tells you that God does not exist, you just disregard it and choose to believe in the impossible even though you have absolutely no proof of any kind.

November 29, 2010 at 4:27 pm |
  8. dman11

@Peace2All

November 29, 2010 at 4:27 pm |
    • Peace2All

@dman11

Wow...!!! How did you end up replying to my post to you, all the way down here...? In the interest of keeping our discussion in context, I pulled our threads from above to here where your response ended up.

So, @Mike Mazzla started out by saying:-"How about the fact that there is no such thing as God and the mere discussion whether he/she cares about a football game is ludicrous in and of itself."

You(@dman11) replied with:-"So why are you commenting on a religious story? In the End, every knee will bow and every voice confess. You didn't create yourself and neither did the big bang theory!!
      Religion might not be all that it is cracked up to be...not God's fault...blame men who really don't believe in nothing but themselves and use their charisma to mislead people."

Me-@Peace2All, replied to 'your' post with:
      @dman11

You Said:-"So why are you commenting on a religious story?"

Most likely, #1– They have the same free speech rights as you... and #2– They are stating their *opinion* about 'religion,' just like you are.

You Said:-"In the End, every knee will bow and every voice confess."

Please see # 2 above...

Peace...

And finally, you (@dman11)replied back to me with:-@Peace2All

"The reply for #1 & 2 Is called "free will". What you call freedom of speech-God calls free will. Everyone has it and just like everything else in this life there are consequences to pay if you make the wrong choice.
      Isn't it crazy how everybody thinks the other persons reasoning is delusional?? Crazy and SCARY...somebody has got to be wrong...who is it??"
      ______________

O.K... I was responding to your question as to why @Mike was commenting on a 'religious story.' You can call it 'free will' if you like. And... that 'free will' gets translated into 'free speech' here, at least in the U.S.

And again, in the short and long-run, in answer to your question/comment, it is 'not' about who is right or wrong, it is about everyone getting to state their *opinions/beliefs* on the subject at hand.

Beliefs are not *facts* especially when one is claiming to *absolutely know* the thoughts and intentions of...God.

I for one, certainly don't claim to know. In my opinion, for anyone to claim otherwise is being intellectually dishonest. You can certainly state your beliefs, but again they are just that beliefs, which are not *facts.*

Peace...

November 29, 2010 at 5:01 pm |
  9. RJ

Maybe he shold have sacraficed more goats or did a pregame touchdown dance like a rain dance? Face it, can't blame your imaginary friend for something you did (or didn't) do.

November 29, 2010 at 4:27 pm |
  10. Alu Reyes

There is no god. He just should have caught the ball. Amazing how many people don't realize God does not have a twitter account does not answer prayers Read the God Delusion by Richard Dawkins and The Greatest show on Earth and come back to Reality.

November 29, 2010 at 4:26 pm |
  11. Observer

If God is finally getting fed up with football players, maybe God could take 5 seconds to prove he exists, thereby settling the dispute and supposedly saving billions of lives.

November 29, 2010 at 4:25 pm |
  12. G

tool...

November 29, 2010 at 4:22 pm |
  13. MR.MARCUS

GO STEERLERS!!!

November 29, 2010 at 4:22 pm |
  14. just me

Who or what is this god thing that controls what happens in a footbal; game

November 29, 2010 at 4:21 pm |
  15. Terry

harmless tweet... that is what God is there for, to talk to, just like he is your friend. Sometimes you are mad at your friend. Good luck bro, you'll make up for it later!

November 29, 2010 at 4:15 pm |
  16. benglish

After all these years, how can there still be any doubt that God hates the Buffalo Bills? The answer should be obvious by now.

November 29, 2010 at 4:12 pm |
  17. greg

The bible starts out with these words "In the Big Inning". God may not be a sports fan but he obviously is a baseball fan.

November 29, 2010 at 4:09 pm |
    • Mike Texas

Brilliant!

November 29, 2010 at 4:14 pm |
  18. JohnQuest

OneWhoLovesGod, that problem with your logic is that these natural disasters were happening long before the world became industrialized. The black plague 1350ish, Pompeii, people have been dying by the thousands through human history, again how is it man-made?

November 29, 2010 at 4:09 pm |
    • OneWhoLovesGod

the world is made of tectonic plates that are constantly moving and this moving causes earthquakes and volcanos.

November 29, 2010 at 4:16 pm |
    • Bubba

It's me moving those tectonic plates around that causes the earthquakes? Oops, I'll put them all back then.

November 29, 2010 at 4:49 pm |
  19. Terre

Surely anyone who first prays to the ruler of the universe to favor him in an athletic endeavor, secondly tweets about it complaining and thirdly truly believes there is such a ruler must have an IQ in the single digits!

November 29, 2010 at 4:08 pm |
    • Satan

He is afootball player. Nuff said.

November 29, 2010 at 4:40 pm |
  20. Michael

I dont blame God for anything in my life. My life is my choices. I do believe in God and JC is my savior. However, I make my own life with my own choices. God gives me the strength/knowledge to make something out of my life. If I "drop the ball", oh well. I'll work harder to get it right next time. Its not like the guy was playing with explosives and the "dropped ball" exploded. So before you blame God, look at yourself.

November 29, 2010 at 4:08 pm |