home
RSS
Wide out blames God for dropped ball
November 29th, 2010

Wide out blames God for dropped ball

By CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor Eric Marrapodi

Buffalo Bills wide receiver Stevie Johnson dropped a game-winning touchdown in the end zone Sunday in overtime against the Pittsburgh Steelers. Anyone who has ever tossed the pigskin around in the back yard dreams of that scenario - minus the drop, of course.

Johnson did not even have to work for the ball. Quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick's pass was text-book perfect, landing squarely in Johnson's hands.

After the game, Johnson's twitter account filed this faithy tweet:

@StevieJohnson13

I PRAISE YOU 24/7!!!!!! AND THIS HOW YOU DO ME!!!!! YOU EXPECT ME TO LEARN FROM THIS??? HOW???!!! ILL NEVER FORGET THIS!! EVER!!! THX THO...

Johnson was emotional in the post game press conference.

"It was a great call; it was something we knew we could beat them on....It came to the back of the end zone. I had the game in my hands and then dropped it. That's it."

He said the play was something he would never get over.

"How would you feel? You've got this game against the Pittsburgh Steelers and you got this kid coming up in the NFL making plays..All of a sudden, when the biggest play needs to be made, you don't make it. You feel bad. I'm devastated right now."

Just last week Johnson was fined $5,000 by the NFL by for wearing a t-shirt under his jersey that said, "Why so serious?" After scoring a touchdown, he lifted his shirt to reveal the Batman-inspired quote from the Joker.

Interestingly enough, he praised God for helping him make that catch.

At a press conference last Wednesday, Johnson said, "It happened. And if it wasn't going to happen, I wouldn't have caught the ball." Then he was asked by reporters if he regretted his actions. "I don't really regret anything. I'm playing under God. So if it happens, it happens," he said.

This brings us to a larger theological question: Does God hate the Buffalo Bills? You may remember this is the very team that lost four straight Super Bowls.

What do you think?

Check out a piece we did on this earlier: When did God become a sports fan?

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: New York • Sports • United States

1. God

I'm a Steelers fan (as if it wasn't obvious.) I have belssed the Steel nation with my favored children. James Harrison is the son, I am the father. Feel my powerful hand acting on you via the Steel curtain D. Witnesseth the superior blessings I have bestowed upon greats such as Palomalu, Ward, Wallace, the list goes on... notice they are all Steelers though. As I watched the game from my throne in heaven I set asside the distractions of the prayers of the suffering to really take in the game as it should be viewed. I notice-eth that the refs made horrible calls all day that were the only reason the Bills had a chance to win it. In all my power and glory I made you drop that ball my son, so that the right team would win. The Steelers shall winneth the Super Bowl this year. God has spoken.

November 29, 2010 at 6:03 pm |
    • kevin

Hallelujah!

November 29, 2010 at 10:51 pm |
  2. God

Im being opressed!

November 29, 2010 at 5:56 pm |
  3. Lets be real!

Let me first start off by telling you that choose to read this I am a follower of Jesus Christ, however I refuse to keep my mouth shut on this topic! I apologize to everyone who isn't a Christian and has been beat up on hurt or judge by so called Christians! Would everyone who claims to be a Christian please stop! You go around throwing the bible at people and shoving it down their throats! How dare you! Yet you call the people that are making comments against your beliefs HATERS! Does this make any sense? Have we not been given free will from God to think freely so that we might come to discover him and have an authentic faith and love? The truth must be spoken yes! However it must be spoken with grace, love, and compassion not anger and forcefulness. Those of you who claim to be Christians but refuse to act and follow the teachings of Jesus are creating a bad reputation for the authentic Christians! We must be imitators of Christ who was the most humble and loving person to walk this earth! Christ sat and ate with sinners, so how do you justify your thinking of holier than thou? We have not been called to judge the nonchristians! How can you expect someone who doesn't know what the bible says to live according to it? Rather nonchristians should act accordingly as nonchristians so that we might know who they are and know whom to show the love of Christ to! We have to told however to judge one another as believers, if my brother was to sin and stumble and knows it not then it is my duty as his fellow brother in Christ to show him and help him out of that sin. Christians MUST act like REAL Christians if we desire to even have people open to our message of what God has done for them.

November 29, 2010 at 5:53 pm |
    • Observer

More Christians should be like you and everyone should practice the Golden Rule, which is too often ignored by Christians who prefer to find other Bible passages to use to trash people.

November 29, 2010 at 5:57 pm |
    • Lets be real!

I thank you for the compliment I really do. I wish for more Christian to NOT be like me! I just as screwed up as the next guy no better than the dirt we walk on, but for some reason God got a hold of real believers brought them into my life and introduce me to Him. I've made my mistakes and sadly I've passed judgement on people. I'm sorry for doing that, and I pray that those people will forgive me and give Jesus another chance. I may not be all that old, but I've been through a lot and God has been the only constant in my life, that's why I'm so steadfast on Him. You may not believe a word I'm saying, but that's ok because that for you to work out. I'm trying to shove religion down any ones throat, but if they ask about it I'm more than willing to share! My prayer is that Christian would realize how screwed up we are and return the truths of the bible. That we would just stop taking words or verses out of context and take the bible as a whole. When we as Christian really listen to what God is trying to say to us and follow what the bible actually says then; then and only then can we effectively show people what Jesus is really all about.

November 29, 2010 at 7:51 pm |
  4. Gumby

I'd applaud him for being a Christian who actually cussed out his god, but since god doesn't exist, it's all moot anyway.

November 29, 2010 at 5:44 pm |
  5. Michael Jackson

You should have Moonwalked into the end zone. Maybe then God would have helped.

I'm alive,
    Mike

November 29, 2010 at 5:33 pm |
  6. Observer

It's good to see a more logical approach by a football player. Too often we hear about tens of thousands of people dying in a tragedy that wasn't God's fault, but God gets credit for performing a miracle that saved one person in it.

November 29, 2010 at 5:26 pm |
  7. Pedro

Ah...Hesus...I like hime very much....but he no hit curve ball. Stevie...next time ask Joboo for help...he does sports.

November 29, 2010 at 5:24 pm |
  8. JohnQuest

OneWhoLovesGod, I thought it was pretty cleaver too. So you are saying that ultimately we are responsible for each other, I agree 100%, it is up to you and I to look out for one another (that applies to all people). Then what is God for?

November 29, 2010 at 5:23 pm |
    • God

Sheesh....What am I for? What am I for? Are you kidding me? Who is this guy? Dont tell me I already know.
      I am the Alpha and the Omega...and I am the explaination for everything in between that your small little brains cant explain or grasp. I am the one constant go-to guy for your pathetic lack of understanding of all things complicated. I explain everything that you arent able to comprehend. What am I for?... unbelieveable. How dare anyone question me in that tone.

November 29, 2010 at 5:33 pm |
    • OneWhoLovesGod

Remember that this world is a test, will we accept Gods FREE GIFT of salvation or not, for those of us that accept his free gift we go to heaven forever when this life is over (This is our final destination, what God planned for us all along) and for those that reject God and his free gift they get eternal damnation in the lake of fire (not plesant I know) and thats the choice we have to make in this world, if you are reading these words I pray you will make the right one before it is too late. Ask Jesus into your heart and accept his free gift, thats all it takes.

November 29, 2010 at 5:39 pm |
  9. simular funny story

there was once a biker /pastor minister of a biker based religious group outreach -the pastor bought him self a perfect new harley davison bike/custom ordered -he braged about that bike alot -showed it off "worshiped it basically " then one day a drunk driver -drove down his street -spin out of control and almost went through the church front door -the bike stopped it -but the bike was almost destroyed the pastor felt "god said to him "how do you like me now ":} -well i guess it was a test of sorts -or god taking away an item that harms our relationship with him by not putting him first and formost .-anyways – insurance had the bike fixed all customed out again -however -as a side benifit they did some more specialised work on it pluss he was able to get the handlebars he always wanted for it -so to a degree things got fixed and came out better in the end because the pastor refocused on god -on his bike -and god allowed things to be restored /repaired and improved -in ways only god can -so moral of this story -wich was a factual event -in s.b. city ca. several years ago with det free bikers for christ organisation . -the bible says – if you follow god all things will be added to you -and god works all things for the good of his people .-so be patient get back with god and see trhe wild and strrange ways he puts things back in order and improves things "i guess he loves complex puzzles "take care -football player – remember-pray with out ceasing – praise him for the good times and the bad times --look at job .

November 29, 2010 at 5:05 pm |
    • chester

Before you write on this topic you really should learn how to spell. Your credibility lacks due to this massive idiotic display of grade 2 spelling and grammatical errors. Obviously you spent too much time in church being brainwashed and not enough time in school. But you can always pray to GAWD about your lack of proper English. May the lord be with you....

November 29, 2010 at 6:06 pm |
  10. Joboo

Haha....He is in the wrong religion. I do sports!

Joboo of Voodoo
    Specializing in bats and balls....for all your sporting needs.
    Visit my website for a great chicken sacrifice recipe!

November 29, 2010 at 4:58 pm |
  11. Kontious

Why so serious? That is funny. However, the tweet is tragic. It's one thing to be angry at God for a mishap, but to publicly announce it is another, irresponsible thing all together. Too many people can misunderstand, and with great power comes great responsibility. He didn't NEED to catch that ball. They don't even have a season at this point it's OVER. He has had a great season all ready. The lesson, was to learn to praise God during the good times and the bad times. So his "thx tho" should have been the largest and most important part of this text, not the rest. Unfortunately, he still has to learn this lesson.

November 29, 2010 at 4:58 pm |
  12. Jonathan

It's about time someone blamed their god for something bad. All you ever hear about is people praising god for the good stuff, and then when something bad happens it's just, "oh well it's all in god's plan", or people blame themselves for not being good enough, or the devil takes all the blame. It's all a bunch of nonsense anyway, everyone knows the Flying Spaghetti Monster is up in heaven drunk all weekend anyway and tends to smack things with his Noodly Appendage, including footballs. It's nothing personal dudes.

November 29, 2010 at 4:55 pm |
  13. tc

24/7??? It does not matter, it can be but a FEW Seconds IF it TRULY comes from the heart. THY WILL BE DONE...Your words/actions show what faith you really have...no matter what you encounter in your daily life on this earth.God is always forgiving, put your trust in Him.

November 29, 2010 at 4:53 pm |
  14. snoshoo93

God likely has about the same concern about football that I do...NONE. It's totally unimportant in the Grand Scheme of Things.

November 29, 2010 at 4:52 pm |
  15. God

I was right there about to grant him that pass...then Mike Tomlin interrupted me with an "OH GOD!!!"...right at the last second. Completely took my eye off the ball. My bad!

November 29, 2010 at 4:51 pm |
  16. Troy

God loves Pittsburg more than Buffalo I guess. After all, if you thank God for winning a game, you are saying he loves you more than the other team since he allowed you to win and made the others lose.

November 29, 2010 at 4:47 pm |
  17. greg

Those who believe in the God of the Bible understand that He is not just a God of love. He never promised us a life of ccompleted passes or the absense of trials. Quite the contrary. God promises that we will have trials of many kinds. He also promises that he will be with us and not desert us even when those trials have very bitter consequenses duiring this life. We follow Jesus not because he promises to make life easy but because the earthly consequenses of sin (death, pain and suffering) pale in comparison to what we believe wiill be the eternal suffering that awaits those who do not choose to repent and be saved in this life. We believe that heaven and hell are real places and that all of us will end in one of those destinations.

November 29, 2010 at 4:47 pm |
    • Satan

"We believe that heaven and hell are real places and that all of us will end in one of those destinations."

Hell is way better. Heaven just has a bunch of sissy do gooders there. Nobody cool is in heaven. Hell is the place to be.

November 29, 2010 at 4:50 pm |
    • JohnQuest

greg, according to your own logic, no matter what we do, we are going to face earthly consequences, death, pain and suffering. To believe, only to escape eternal suffering is not really believing and is not conducive to freewill, sounds more like coerced to me, consider (if you don't love me I'm going to beat the crap out of you), if you believed me could you ever truly love me? I think not.

November 29, 2010 at 5:00 pm |
    • Scott

Wait...Are you trying to say that Jesus Christ can't hit a curve ball?

November 29, 2010 at 5:21 pm |
    • OneWhoLovesGod

Bubba

Bubba wrote – onewho, you can bleat all night, but you don't make this god of your sound any better. He allows suffering and murder, he invents horrible parasitic diseases, he even inspired Dubya to lie about the WMDs, and now he won't even help a football player catch the ball?

try this then God does not wish for us to suffer, almost alll suffering is a direct result of sin in the world – God ALLOWS sin in the world because he allows freewill.

November 29, 2010 at 5:32 pm |
  18. Celida

What I find most arrogant is that any football player at all thinks that God is with them on the fiield and not where he is REALLY needed. Like, for people who are stuggling to make ends meet for have sick family members and no insurance. This "my play is in God's hands" mentality will probably be the same defense he uses when he ios araighned on gun charges in a club somehwere....

November 29, 2010 at 4:47 pm |
  19. JohnQuest

OneWhoLovesGod, are you really saying that God created poverty so the more affluent of us can feel good about ourselves? Really? Really?

November 29, 2010 at 4:46 pm |
    • OneWhoLovesGod

I gotta admit that was a interesting paraphrase of my comment, no, what I said was God allows some to be less affluent and some to be more affluent so that we help those who are less fortunate than oursleves. It has nothing to do with feeling good, it has to do with doing the right thing. and IT IS right to take care of those who have need among us. We could end world hunger if all shared what they have with those that did don't have any.

November 29, 2010 at 4:54 pm |
    • Bubba

November 29, 2010 at 5:01 pm |
    • Peace2All

@OneWhoLovesGod

You Said:-"I gotta admit that was a interesting paraphrase of my comment, no, what I said was God (allows) some to be less affluent and some to be more affluent so that we help those who are less fortunate than oursleves."

Say Wut...? Really... And, you *know* this about God, how exactly...? I am guessing here that you are one of the... 'more affluent' ones...? So, He(God) *allows* people to live in poverty and disease, so, we can 'help' them.

Hmmmmmmm...

I am sincerely curious as to how ya' got there @OWLG...?

Peace...

November 29, 2010 at 5:19 pm |
  20. William Bergmann

His mistake was thinking a god had any involvement at all. We are all in this alone. He dropped it. Big deal. It's a football game. Grow up.

November 29, 2010 at 4:39 pm |