home
RSS
Wide out blames God for dropped ball
November 29th, 2010

Wide out blames God for dropped ball

By CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor Eric Marrapodi

Buffalo Bills wide receiver Stevie Johnson dropped a game-winning touchdown in the end zone Sunday in overtime against the Pittsburgh Steelers. Anyone who has ever tossed the pigskin around in the back yard dreams of that scenario - minus the drop, of course.

Johnson did not even have to work for the ball. Quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick's pass was text-book perfect, landing squarely in Johnson's hands.

After the game, Johnson's twitter account filed this faithy tweet:

@StevieJohnson13

I PRAISE YOU 24/7!!!!!! AND THIS HOW YOU DO ME!!!!! YOU EXPECT ME TO LEARN FROM THIS??? HOW???!!! ILL NEVER FORGET THIS!! EVER!!! THX THO...

Johnson was emotional in the post game press conference.

"It was a great call; it was something we knew we could beat them on....It came to the back of the end zone. I had the game in my hands and then dropped it. That's it."

He said the play was something he would never get over.

"How would you feel? You've got this game against the Pittsburgh Steelers and you got this kid coming up in the NFL making plays..All of a sudden, when the biggest play needs to be made, you don't make it. You feel bad. I'm devastated right now."

Just last week Johnson was fined $5,000 by the NFL by for wearing a t-shirt under his jersey that said, "Why so serious?" After scoring a touchdown, he lifted his shirt to reveal the Batman-inspired quote from the Joker.

Interestingly enough, he praised God for helping him make that catch.

At a press conference last Wednesday, Johnson said, "It happened. And if it wasn't going to happen, I wouldn't have caught the ball." Then he was asked by reporters if he regretted his actions. "I don't really regret anything. I'm playing under God. So if it happens, it happens," he said.

This brings us to a larger theological question: Does God hate the Buffalo Bills? You may remember this is the very team that lost four straight Super Bowls.

What do you think?

Check out a piece we did on this earlier: When did God become a sports fan?

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: New York • Sports • United States

1. The_Mick

So it's ok if Jesus said, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" But Stevie's supposed to show greater perfection?

November 29, 2010 at 12:22 pm |
    • jonathan

Good question, you got answer? 🙂

November 29, 2010 at 1:08 pm |
  2. Thomas

How can I get god on my Fantasy Football team?

November 29, 2010 at 12:22 pm |
    • jonathan

Just ask him... Jeepers that was easy..next question ! 🙂

November 29, 2010 at 1:07 pm |
  3. infonomics

What Stevie doesn't know is that the defense back, a God favorite, prayed that he would drop it. Divine cronyism at work.

November 29, 2010 at 12:20 pm |
    • Peace2All

@infonomics

Now THAT was funny...! 🙂

Peace...

November 29, 2010 at 1:12 pm |
  4. Sparky45

oh too funny! God hates the Buffalo Bills.

November 29, 2010 at 12:20 pm |
  5. owais

its just easier to blame someone else!

November 29, 2010 at 12:19 pm |
  6. Ric

God... could care less about football than he could care about Singers who give thanks at the grammys.. We are all FAR too willing to give thanks for things WE do and Blame for things we do.. God Gives us the ABILITY to do the things we do .. and the CHOICE of what to do with that talent... as far as hunger... WE as a people have MORE than enough knowledge and ability to cure diseases and hunger.. We just need to use the abilities we have to do something OTHER than chase after the allmighty dollar. I have no plans to end hunger.. I am just one Man.. But if a good plan should arise .. I am willing to follow and help.. If we were all thus... the world would be a better place

November 29, 2010 at 12:18 pm |
  7. moakley

Reality is a lot easier to deal once you rid yourself of supernatural delusions, Mr Johnson.

November 29, 2010 at 12:18 pm |
  8. tony

100% spoilt little brat. Some of us work hard every day for a normal pay check and don't complain. Perhaps he'd like to try that instead?

November 29, 2010 at 12:18 pm |
    • jonathan

Maybe you like position today of letting a whole city down! yes? 🙂

November 29, 2010 at 1:05 pm |
  9. Michael Wong

I applaud this man for his consistency. When he makes a big catch, he thanks God. When he fumbles, he blames God. That's consistency.

It's much better than the people who thank God for the good things and blame immigrants for the bad things.

November 29, 2010 at 12:16 pm |
    • Anise

Thank you.

November 29, 2010 at 1:02 pm |
    • jonathan

That's Wong! 🙂

November 29, 2010 at 1:04 pm |
  10. Sean

What's wrong with what he says? Why is it that when teams win you have players step up and Thank God as if God was somehow rooting against the other team. What's different between this and what those athletes are saying? Can't the same inference be made there too?

November 29, 2010 at 12:16 pm |
  11. Siretman

I love the sarcastic comments. I am an atheist and I am always amazed when athletes give God credit for their feats. This false modesty is so grating.

This time God is blamed for a big mistake. I saw it on TV and could not believe it. These guys are paid much bucks to catch a ball and he fumbled one that was right in his arms?

November 29, 2010 at 12:16 pm |
    • jonathan

This means God did not want the glory in this case..still he gets glory by being blamed for failure.... I love God he always wins either way...reminds me of the Jews 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂

November 29, 2010 at 1:03 pm |
  12. Michael Ishmael

I am finishing up my Masters degree in Theology this year and I can say without a doubt: God indeed hates the Buffalo Bills. @michaelishmael

November 29, 2010 at 12:15 pm |
    • jonathan

Check your degree, carnal minded to say that based upon previous campaigns Buffalo hated by God; Pittsburgh perreneial looser for 40 year now own 6 Lombardi's ...since they have six they shaping up to be anti-Christ's ..ha ha , how you like that one...He hate them even more..they stuck on six they anti-Christ.. 🙂

November 29, 2010 at 1:00 pm |
  13. Chitown Marc

I have two things to say: "GO BEARS!!!" God loves Lovie Smith!!! hahaha!!! No disrespect to the Lions but I can wait for the 12/12 game vs. New England!!! The football gods have given us a beauty with that one!!!

November 29, 2010 at 12:14 pm |
    • Chitown Marc

I meant I *cant wait - i got a lil excited!!! haha

November 29, 2010 at 12:15 pm |
  14. NL

Yes, interesting how the same person who flashes the sentiment of one of fiction's greatest sadistic minds in the Joker after a touchdown also references God after the same thing. I really wouldn't think that a Christian would admire the Joker, but perhaps he sees a similarity between the two?

November 29, 2010 at 12:13 pm |
    • tron

It's an inside joke. Google 'Ochocinco TO Batman and Robin' if you really want to understand. It's kind of funny, actually. No need to spoil the humor with religious judgment simply because you're ignorant of the meaning. Educate yourself before posting if you mean to sound intelligent.

November 29, 2010 at 12:55 pm |
    • NL

So, it's supposed to be funny? The dark version of the Joker is about as funny as John Wayne Gacy as far as clowns go.

November 29, 2010 at 9:42 pm |
  15. nice

Well said Aaron...even those non religious folks could learn from this reasoning. Sometimes lessons learned are not understood for years down the road.

November 29, 2010 at 12:13 pm |
  16. chuckd88

And if anybody should be mad at god, it should be george bush. Because god let him drop the ball on iraq

November 29, 2010 at 12:11 pm |
    • Teephphah

Mmmmmmm. Now THAT'S what I call timely!

Commentary right on the cutting edge of current events. Good work.

November 29, 2010 at 12:25 pm |
    • jonathan

I'd rather blame the morons who voted for him.. 🙂

November 29, 2010 at 12:52 pm |
    • GrammarNazi

Actually, considering that clown pretty much got away with everything, I'm sure he would be much more thankful than irate. He got money in his oily pockets, more now with his book, Deception Points (heheh, take that), interviews, talk shows... The guy is rolling in cash and fame (not exactly popularity, but fame).

Alas, he has given the world a truly great message: Even the brain-dead result of drug and alcohol abuse can become the "Leader of the Free World". Aim high, you little retards, and surpass our national debt record. $50T, here we come!

November 29, 2010 at 6:30 pm |
  17. Donald

Somewhere in the heavens, God is lifting his Dolphin Jersey, revealing the joker quote as well.

November 29, 2010 at 12:10 pm |
  18. Bill

"Why so serious?".... Just God's way of keeping you humble, bro. Keep that ego in check next time cause Hero to Zero is a short trip!

November 29, 2010 at 12:10 pm |
  19. Cdndude

blame Obama ... pretty safe scapegoat these days

November 29, 2010 at 12:09 pm |
    • GrammarNazi

i was an steler speler until janaary 20, 2009

just sayin/

November 29, 2010 at 6:21 pm |
  20. Tim Gard

No one seems to find it funny/sad that he felt he needed to Tweet God for that to come out? Prayer in the digital age?

November 29, 2010 at 12:08 pm |
    • jonathan

Chinese own radio here in Galveston 1540am, brainwashing us all, say, answered prayer always better... 🙂

November 29, 2010 at 12:55 pm |