home
RSS
Wide out blames God for dropped ball
November 29th, 2010

Wide out blames God for dropped ball

By CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor Eric Marrapodi

Buffalo Bills wide receiver Stevie Johnson dropped a game-winning touchdown in the end zone Sunday in overtime against the Pittsburgh Steelers. Anyone who has ever tossed the pigskin around in the back yard dreams of that scenario - minus the drop, of course.

Johnson did not even have to work for the ball. Quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick's pass was text-book perfect, landing squarely in Johnson's hands.

After the game, Johnson's twitter account filed this faithy tweet:

@StevieJohnson13

I PRAISE YOU 24/7!!!!!! AND THIS HOW YOU DO ME!!!!! YOU EXPECT ME TO LEARN FROM THIS??? HOW???!!! ILL NEVER FORGET THIS!! EVER!!! THX THO...

Johnson was emotional in the post game press conference.

"It was a great call; it was something we knew we could beat them on....It came to the back of the end zone. I had the game in my hands and then dropped it. That's it."

He said the play was something he would never get over.

"How would you feel? You've got this game against the Pittsburgh Steelers and you got this kid coming up in the NFL making plays..All of a sudden, when the biggest play needs to be made, you don't make it. You feel bad. I'm devastated right now."

Just last week Johnson was fined $5,000 by the NFL by for wearing a t-shirt under his jersey that said, "Why so serious?" After scoring a touchdown, he lifted his shirt to reveal the Batman-inspired quote from the Joker.

Interestingly enough, he praised God for helping him make that catch.

At a press conference last Wednesday, Johnson said, "It happened. And if it wasn't going to happen, I wouldn't have caught the ball." Then he was asked by reporters if he regretted his actions. "I don't really regret anything. I'm playing under God. So if it happens, it happens," he said.

This brings us to a larger theological question: Does God hate the Buffalo Bills? You may remember this is the very team that lost four straight Super Bowls.

What do you think?

Check out a piece we did on this earlier: When did God become a sports fan?

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: New York • Sports • United States

1. Grizzly

What irritates me is this macho sports-loving theology that has taken over. If you believe in God, do you think that God cares one whit whether one team or another wins?

I recall seeing my little brother praying before a Boston – Montreal hockey game in the early 70's and my Dad asking him what he was doing "Praying for a win..." "Don't you think that there's a little boy in Boston doing the same?" "Maybe, but God loves me more...."

Well Stevie, maybe God loves the other guy more. LOL.

If God exists he/she has far more important things to worry about.

November 29, 2010 at 12:58 pm |
  2. RevCook

Blaming God for ANYthing is an absolute demonstration of ignorance. The pure, sweet and simple is that He paid it all by giving His Son as a ransom for our sins. When Jesus said, "It is finished" on the cross, that was it. God need to not do one thing more than offer the free gift of salvation by grace because He loves us even though we don't love Him. IF, and I mean "IF" He so chooses to bless us with ANYthing beyond His best (Jesus) it is an exponential bonus beyond anything we can think or comprehend. He owes us nothing and we owe HIM EVERYTHING! Get right before you get left...behind!! Blessings! \o/

November 29, 2010 at 12:55 pm |
    • JT

Are you smoking crack?

November 29, 2010 at 3:00 pm |
    • GrammarNazi

"Get right before you get left...behind!! Blessings! \o/"

I'm 83% certain that's a bumpersticker on your car.
      Also, 17% certain you're just naturally cheesy.

November 29, 2010 at 7:22 pm |
    • Maybe

Interesting that the symbol for Humanism is at the end of that little ditty... \o/

November 29, 2010 at 7:30 pm |
  3. Ivan Bial

that's it blam someone or something else for your failure.

November 29, 2010 at 12:53 pm |
  4. book

He should read The Shack by WM Paul Young.

November 29, 2010 at 12:51 pm |
  5. readsthenews

what an idiot

November 29, 2010 at 12:51 pm |
  6. Right

Well, people that believe in ghostly beings that impact their daily life aren't the sharpest tools in the shed. Still, a football game...Seriously! Kinda narcissistic too.

November 29, 2010 at 12:46 pm |
  7. RS

Religion is dumb. End of story.

November 29, 2010 at 12:46 pm |
  8. ELH

Hiram Hickenluber had a hardscrabble farm in western Nebraska, a place where the dirt was so poor, you couldn't even raise a dust cloud. He was beset with the worst luck ever and one late spring day a horrendous rainstorm blew in, threatening to drown his pitiful crop. Ol' Hickenluber jumped on his tractor and begin to clear the drainage ditch in an effort to save his crop. Turning too sharply at the end of the field, the ditcher tongue caucht in the wheel lugs and the tractor tipped over, trapping Hickenluber by the legs. Knowing that he was going to die, he appealed to the Lord, saying "Oh God, why have you persecuted me these many months?" "Earlier this year you took my Margie from me. Then just last month you caused my daughter Jen, the only one left to me, to get pregnant by the Jones' hired hand and they done run off together. Now you send a rain storm to drown out my crop. And I'm out here trying to save it and you cause the tractor to tip and crush me to death. Why me, Lord, Why me?"

The storm suddenly stopped, the clouds parted and a shaft of brilliant white light bathed Hickenluber as he lay there under the tractor. From the heavens a voice boomed, " Hickenluber, there is just something about you that irritates me."

November 29, 2010 at 12:44 pm |
  9. Garett

I am soooo sick and tired of ANYBODY, let alone sports athletes giving praise to God for every stinking thing they do. There is at least 1 placekicker in the NFL that raises both of his hands and points to the sky whenever he makes an extra point...AN EXTRA POINT! Like that is some accomplishment. And, of course, he couldn't have done that without God's help.

People praise God for things that go right and blame God for things that don't. You can't have it both ways. Take responsibility for your own actions and accomplishments because it's because of your hard work and determination that you succeed, not because of some deity.

November 29, 2010 at 12:44 pm |
  10. Utah/BYU

God doesn't care about the Bills or the NFL; but he certainly sent BYU a message this weekend. Divine intervention. A clear message that God doesn't support BYU.

November 29, 2010 at 12:42 pm |
  11. TZip

While he's at it, maybe he should change his uniform number.

November 29, 2010 at 12:41 pm |
    • feet4hands

lol excellent observation

November 29, 2010 at 2:03 pm |
  12. dman11

I usually don't post comments, however....there are so many condemning post, I felt I had to say something!! This guy is a role model for kids. Should he be?? No...not even for adults! Is he a Christian, Yes! He is a flawed human being just like the rest of us. He know he is in need of a Savior...his comments point to it! It sounds like he is a work in process just like all of us. From this maybe he will learn that God is not a Genie! You don't rub his tummy or stick a quarter in him and get three wishes. His prideful act will lead him into the fire to be refined as silver!
    And to all the atheist and agnostics~ you may not believe this, but God does care whether Steve made the catch or not! He probably doesn't care who won the game, but he does care about our individual activities. GOD is bigger than you'll ever imagine, that is what makes him GOD~ He can be concerned for something as big as world hunger, if you get a pay raise, or if Steve makes the catch! That's a GOD...don't limit Him to your perception and your limitations!!
    Sorry for the sermon...NOT! LOL!!!

November 29, 2010 at 12:41 pm |
    • Anthony

There are drugs that can help with these types of delusional disorders. Totally crazy.

November 29, 2010 at 1:51 pm |
    • JT

You're really scary. You do realize you are delusional, correct?

November 29, 2010 at 2:56 pm |
  13. ShyGuyCase

Keep in mind this kid is only 24. Oh to be young again and point the finger everywhere except for at yourself..
    God, existing or not, is a non-issue. This is purely an emotional and rash outburst from a kid still learning how to fill a high paid athletes shoes.

November 29, 2010 at 12:40 pm |
  14. Chato

God is a she

November 29, 2010 at 12:40 pm |
  15. God Illusion

I want to see every believer here who is mad at him for blaming god for the loss, to be equally outraged when someone thanks god for a success.

Consistency folks – try it.

November 29, 2010 at 12:40 pm |
  16. Lauren

The Steelers are the only team to have 6 Super Bowl trophies. Obviously God favors them. We are the best so it makes sense.

November 29, 2010 at 12:40 pm |
    • feet4hands

clearly, Big Ben takes tips about his love life directly from the clergy.

November 29, 2010 at 1:56 pm |
  17. Smarter than you

Do people really still believe in one or more gods? I thought everyone knew they were just fairy tales. Wake up people, its 2010.

November 29, 2010 at 12:39 pm |
    • GrammarNazi

It is the direction all the other fish swim, so it must me the direction the current is flowing.

What surprises me more is that when I'm out with people, face-to-face, it's constant "Amen", "Thank God", "With His strength", etc. ; However, I touch the internet, and Atheism is actually easier to find. Makes me wonder if Christianity (and similar religions) are really as much a fad as I personally find them to potentially be, considering the black-and-white comparison of anonymity between internet and face-to-face interactions. Religion: The Immortal Fad. What do ya think?

November 29, 2010 at 6:51 pm |
  18. Jordan

If god really did exist(though there is no reason to believe he does at all) why would he care about the outcome of a football game? The idea that a being who controls everything would go out of his way to determine the outcome of a football game involving a few players in a (relatively)small area of the earth, orbiting a single star out of over 100 billion in our galaxy alone, which is itself one of billions of galaxies in the universe is absolutely ridiculous. But what more can you expect from believers?

November 29, 2010 at 12:37 pm |
    • dman11

I know you don't expect much from us believers and you shouldn't...but you should expect more from our GOD...that is why he is called GOD. Just because you can't fit him into what your vision of a God should be, don't think that he doesn't exist. What kind of God would we serve if we in our finite wisdom could figure out the the Supreme Being who created the heavens and the earth. That's why we are the humans and He is God.
      Sometimes humans can be so Prideful...we think that we are the most important. Creation speaks that there is a God! It couldn't just happen! The big bang couldn't have put this earth together like it is...its like throwing up a bunch of puzzle pieces and they land exactly put together as they should be...makes no sense!!

November 29, 2010 at 1:03 pm |
  19. Biff

Truly, mental illness can affect anyone in any walk of life, any demographic. Hopefully, Stevie Johnson gets the help that he needs after crying out for it in this manner.

November 29, 2010 at 12:36 pm |
  20. cheekbrown

That tweet wasn't meant for GOD. GOD knows how Mr. Johnson feels; He is omniscient. That tweet is Mr. Johnson's attempt to let all of his followers know that he is blaming GOD and not himself for his fumble. Childish, arrogant, and ungrateful.

November 29, 2010 at 12:36 pm |