home
RSS
Wide out blames God for dropped ball
November 29th, 2010

Wide out blames God for dropped ball

By CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor Eric Marrapodi

Buffalo Bills wide receiver Stevie Johnson dropped a game-winning touchdown in the end zone Sunday in overtime against the Pittsburgh Steelers. Anyone who has ever tossed the pigskin around in the back yard dreams of that scenario - minus the drop, of course.

Johnson did not even have to work for the ball. Quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick's pass was text-book perfect, landing squarely in Johnson's hands.

After the game, Johnson's twitter account filed this faithy tweet:

@StevieJohnson13

I PRAISE YOU 24/7!!!!!! AND THIS HOW YOU DO ME!!!!! YOU EXPECT ME TO LEARN FROM THIS??? HOW???!!! ILL NEVER FORGET THIS!! EVER!!! THX THO...

Johnson was emotional in the post game press conference.

"It was a great call; it was something we knew we could beat them on....It came to the back of the end zone. I had the game in my hands and then dropped it. That's it."

He said the play was something he would never get over.

"How would you feel? You've got this game against the Pittsburgh Steelers and you got this kid coming up in the NFL making plays..All of a sudden, when the biggest play needs to be made, you don't make it. You feel bad. I'm devastated right now."

Just last week Johnson was fined $5,000 by the NFL by for wearing a t-shirt under his jersey that said, "Why so serious?" After scoring a touchdown, he lifted his shirt to reveal the Batman-inspired quote from the Joker.

Interestingly enough, he praised God for helping him make that catch.

At a press conference last Wednesday, Johnson said, "It happened. And if it wasn't going to happen, I wouldn't have caught the ball." Then he was asked by reporters if he regretted his actions. "I don't really regret anything. I'm playing under God. So if it happens, it happens," he said.

This brings us to a larger theological question: Does God hate the Buffalo Bills? You may remember this is the very team that lost four straight Super Bowls.

What do you think?

Check out a piece we did on this earlier: When did God become a sports fan?

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: New York • Sports • United States

1. Ken in Maryland

It's so easy to blame anything that goes wrong (and praise anything that goes right) on God. It alleviates any personal responsibility. The greatest gift God gave us if free will. Why would anyone think he cares one bit about a football game?

Stevie, you blew it. Plain and simple. You dropped the pass. No interference from God or wind or sun or the Steelers. You. You blew it. Now quit griping about it and do better next week.

November 29, 2010 at 1:54 pm |
  2. Spaghetti monster

If winning a game depended on whether GOD makes a player drop a ball or not, players should just skip their damn training and spend days and nights trying to out pray each other. Since no team does appear to have any success praying, I would presume:

a) God does not exist
    b) He does not give a flying @!#!@ about your game.

It is arrogant to believe that, event if he existed which is very doubtful, he spend his time worrying about some dude playing football, while people are dying of cholera in Haiti.

November 29, 2010 at 1:51 pm |
    • Peace2All

@Spaghetti monster

You Said:-"If winning a game depended on whether GOD makes a player drop a ball or not, players should just skip their damn training and spend days and nights trying to out pray each other."

Nice... 🙂

Peace...

November 29, 2010 at 2:10 pm |
  3. Homer Simpson

Eat a donut....there is nothing they won't cure, just ask Marge. Hey Marge...where's the 'any' key?

November 29, 2010 at 1:51 pm |
  4. John

just another example how the NFL is filled with over payed, egotistical baffoons that every time they DO get in the end zone, they act like they have never been there before

November 29, 2010 at 1:51 pm |
  5. Satan

It wasn't God....it was me you dummy !!

November 29, 2010 at 1:50 pm |
    • Bubba

The devil made me do it?

November 29, 2010 at 1:54 pm |
  6. Adam

What an idiot.

November 29, 2010 at 1:50 pm |
  7. OneWhoLovesGod

Bubba said refering to the Bible
    "Amazing accuracy?" It says the world is flat. Don't force us to laugh at you.

REALLY, Bubba where does it say that?

November 29, 2010 at 1:49 pm |
    • Bubba

In the Bible. Try to keep up.

November 29, 2010 at 1:53 pm |
  8. Anthony

Typical Christian.... can not and will not take responsibility for anything. He didn't even entertain the idea that he just might have dropped the ball in on his own. Stupid.

November 29, 2010 at 1:48 pm |
  9. Beelzebub

I always thank the lord when I hit my double-down in blackjack, but I give him a good cursing when he busts me. It can't be the cards, it is all pre-ordained, right?

November 29, 2010 at 1:46 pm |
  10. Knute Rockne

God made him drop the ball so he might learn HUMILITY...and then again he maight not...

November 29, 2010 at 1:43 pm |
  11. Bubba

Well, why not? People thank God for letting them win all the time and no one even comments. At least he didn't say "The DEVIL made me do it!"

November 29, 2010 at 1:43 pm |
  12. amy

that top picture is adorable

November 29, 2010 at 1:42 pm |
  13. weallgotone

Bill Buckner.

November 29, 2010 at 1:42 pm |
    • george

ouch! that was below the belt

November 29, 2010 at 1:43 pm |
    • Peace2All

@george

*ground ball between his legs*

Peace...

November 29, 2010 at 3:22 pm |
  14. Charles

Blast it! I just missed my report deadline! Thanks for nothing, God! Well...at least I have an entirely rational excuse I can give to my supervisor.

November 29, 2010 at 1:41 pm |
  15. Chris

You people need to get a life. It's a game, he's religious, that's that. And most of the prayer that happens after a game is to thank God for keeping people safe, and for allowing them to have the ability to play. So just because there are horrible things happening around the world, Stevie Johnson can't be crushed over his mistake? Think about that the next time you have a bad day and want to complain...

November 29, 2010 at 1:40 pm |
  16. Jeff

He dropped the football, a clear indicator that there is no God.

November 29, 2010 at 1:40 pm |
  17. DeadFred

I'm a lifelong Buffalo Bills fan who has remained loyal in my moves and travels all over the USA. But another inspired loss for the Buffalo Bills only reafirms my belief that we are cursed. By whom, I'm not sure...God, satan, the Football gods, ownership, management, scouting, you name it, but it really doesn't matter. No single team/city can truly experience the pain that we have endured as Buffalo fans. And next they will just steal our team right out from under us. Accept it Bills fans because it's inevitable. I wish God would make me stop being a Buffalo sports fan, Lord knows my wife has tried, because she feels the pain with me! 😉

November 29, 2010 at 1:39 pm |
    • Mary White

It's because N!ggers are stupid.

November 29, 2010 at 3:27 pm |
    • Peace2All

@Mary White

No need to say cr@p like that Mary...

You are a *troll*

November 29, 2010 at 4:05 pm |
    • dman11

@ Mary White
      That's just not called for!! Keep your bigotry to yourself...don't say it if you're not willing to say it to the persons face. This is not a forum for you to attack people based on their color instead of their character. Until now this was a great discussion!!

November 29, 2010 at 4:21 pm |
  18. aizen

IF YOU BELIEVE IN GOD, YOU GOTTA LET HIM KNOW HOW YOU FEEL...HE IS SUPPOSED TO BE YOUR DAD AINT IT?

November 29, 2010 at 1:38 pm |
    • Maybe

If "God" is omniscient, as is claimed, "he" already knows how you feel...

November 29, 2010 at 2:02 pm |
  19. E.C.

Cry baby! Oh Sorry I meant Cry baby who get pays millions. There are people who losing their homes, jobs, and loved ones, cry about that!

November 29, 2010 at 1:38 pm |
  20. pastafaria

Don't blame god for this, he has been way too busy answering Bristol Palin's prayers to reach the finals on DWTS in order to give a "big middle finger" (her words) to all those that hate her mom and the rest of her family. Now that god is no longer preoccupied with helping some trailer-trash harlot compete on a reality tv show, it would be nice if he'd turn his attention to the cholera epidemic in Haiti, but instead he'll probably be right there in the end-zone with Stevie when the Bills play the Vikings next Sunday. After all, the aren't enough Fox News viewers in Haiti for god to show that country any mercy.

November 29, 2010 at 1:38 pm |