home
RSS
December 1st, 2010

Conservative Christians blast Apple decision to discontinue app

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN

A coalition of conservative Christian leaders blasted Apple on Wednesday for discontinuing an app the group had created because the technology giant said the app was offensive.

The Christian leaders had created the app to promote a document that urges opposition to abortion and gay marriage and support for religious liberty, among other positions.

An Apple spokeswoman confirmed the company had removed the app, which was called the Manhattan Declaration after the document it was meant to promote, from Apple's online iTunes and iPhone stores.

"It violates our developer guidelines by being offensive to large groups of people," said Apple spokeswoman Natalie Kerris, who said the app was removed last week.

The Manhattan Declaration app allowed users to sign and share the the declaration and included a four-question quiz that featured questions like "Do you support same-sex relationships?" and "Do you support the right of choice regarding abortion?"

The app computes a score for the quiz depending on how many "correct" answers a user gave.

Kerris said that Apple had heard from "large groups of people" about the app but declined to answer questions about who complained about the app and about which part or parts were deemed offensive, saying "I'd rather not got into further detail."

Prominent gay bloggers had criticized the app, focusing on the quiz.

Chuck Colson, a former aide to President Richard Nixon turned evangelical leader, said Wednesday that he was disappointed in the decision and because Apple had declined to respond to his requests for an explanation.

"If you have a public communications company, you have a responsibility to see that certain views are not suppressed," he said. "This is a dangerous thing to do in a free society."

Colson helped draft the Manhattan Declaration last year, which promoters say has garnered more than 478,000 signatures.

A spokeswoman for the declaration said Wednesday that Apple had approved and posted its app in October and that it had received a 4 plus rating for "no objectionable content."

"...Numerous attempts to have a dialogue via phone have been ignored," the spokeswoman, Michelle Farmer, said of the leaders' attempts to reach out to Apple. "Now leaders with the Manhattan Declaration are asking its supporters to get involved and pressure Jobs and Apple to reinstate the Christian app."

Colson and two other declaration drafters sent a letter to Apple CEO Steve Jobs on Monday asking that the app be reinstated.

In an interview, Colson said that if the quiz was considered offensive, he would have it removed.

Asked whether Apple had any plans to reinstate the app, Kerris said Wednesday that she had "no further comment."

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Abortion • Christianity • Culture wars • Gay marriage • Technology

1. NL

Bill In STL-
    Still, Apple has the same right as one of these Christian sites to determine for itself what it considers inappropriate, correct? If this app was hosted on a Christian site it wouldn't be any more offensive than anything else there, and folks who find it offensive would know to stay clear of a Christian site anyway, as you say. People coming to Apple's site, however, aren't expecting this kind of discriminatory material, so they have no warning that something so offensive would be lurking there.

December 2, 2010 at 11:54 am |
    • NL

More to the point, I guess, would the average Christian assume that they would stumble upon an app to their liking, like this one, at Apple's site, or would they be staying clear due to warnings from their pastors about the dangers of secular media? From that standpoint what sense did it make for the creators of the app to try distributing a version of the Manhattan Declaration on a noted secular media site? If I were any bit cynical I might conclude that they did it just to generate some free advertising for the Declaration?

December 2, 2010 at 12:15 pm |
    • Bill In STL

I reide to respond NL but got sent to the awaiting moderation black hole of the universe..... Sorry ... I have read it over and can't seem to locate the offending word or phrase.... WOW be moderate and attempting to be respectful gets you moderated!!!!!! LOL 😉

December 2, 2010 at 12:21 pm |
    • HotAirAce

This app wasn't hosted by Apple any more than a drugstore selling newspapers or periodicals "hosts" the opinions found within whatever they sell. And the only (legitimate) way to purchase an iPhone/iPad app is via the Apple store, so Apple is in a somewhat unique and controlling position of being able to control access to apps and data/information. Not sure if this is a good or bad thing...

December 2, 2010 at 1:00 pm |
    • NL

Bill In STL-
      We ALL share this same frustration. For me, it's every time I try typing an 'i' between two 't's in a word. Oy!

December 2, 2010 at 1:07 pm |
  2. NL

On the other side of things, is it OK for christianbook.com, an online Christian media download store, to pick and choose what music and books it sells? I don't see them selling anything with offensive language restrictions. I also don't see them selling anything written be Dawkins, although they do sell a lot of books objecting to his writings. So why is this any different?

December 2, 2010 at 11:19 am |
    • Bill In STL

I see your point but it is not quite the same .... an online christian media download store has targeted certian clients. Apple , on the other had has not .... you won't see an APP/Song/media file that is not christian on the former ... so christians will not be offended ... Most non christians will not go there, don't even think to .... if they do and complain ... they will get about the same response as Christians going to an atheist site and complaining....

December 2, 2010 at 11:26 am |
  3. Bill In STL

you all realize that this intolerance of Christians is no better than the intollerance you say you see from them all the time. You say that profiling (we called it sterotyping) is a bad thing yet you lump all christians even all relligous in one pile..... So ... where do we all stand now

December 2, 2010 at 11:06 am |
    • NL

Bill In STL-
      Atheists don't believe in gods. We also tend to think that believing in gods often leads to some pretty irrational thinking which then leads to some pretty irrational actions, indefensible outside of the context that it is some god's will. Not all religious people use their religious beliefs as license to do as they wish, but a lot do, especially here in the US, it seems, and in some other places as well. So, from an average atheist standpoint

If you believe in gods, we think you are delusional.

If you do harmful things simply because you believe that some god wants you to, the we consider your religious views harmful.

If you don't believe in any gods, then you are also an atheist.

Please check mark whichever category best applies, and you know where we all stand, OK?

December 2, 2010 at 11:38 am |
    • Bill In STL

Ok NL, I believe in God. So now you think I am delusional.... Frankly I don't care what you believe in or what your belief system is (Atheism is a belief system too). I am not going to tell you that you are anything other than an individual living on this pllanet and that we all need to work together... Your statements immeadiately put me on guard that you will not be sincere in dealings with since you think I should be locked up in an asylum and given drugs to keep me docile. Hence I will debate you ... but never trust you. I will continue to point out that in most cases the non-religous that post here are as bad as the people they seem to have a problem with.....

Now perhaps you can answer a question for me ..... Is it just Christianity (it seems to be since that is what everyone posts about) or is it all religions.

December 2, 2010 at 12:09 pm |
    • NL

Bill In STL-

Atheism is a belief, just a simple belief that gods don't exist. Hardly a system. Talk to one atheist and all you've done is talk to one atheist. Outside of not believing in gods the rest of what we believe is up for grabs, although we do tend to pick what we believe based upon rational grounds. If an atheist believes in something he knows that he had better have good, solid reasoning to back it up if he ever wants to speak to another atheist because, as you can probably tell, we are not shy on calling out BS. That's just the way we roll, baby! 😉

I don't think you are delusional on a personal level. You've just bought into a delusional system of beliefs, beliefs you trust because they are shared by a lot of people. You probably believe in the concept that if so many people believe something, then it must be true, but this is not a logical assumption. Everybody use to believe that the Earth was flat once, but that didn't make it really true, right?

Atheists don't believe in assuming anything. You've a theory that your specific god just so happens to be the one exception to the 'all gods are myth' rule, a 1 in a million chance assuming, that is, there actually is a real god out there. We don't just assume hat there must be a real god out there. The universe can be understood perfectly fine without assuming there is one. Assuming there must be a god is a pretty extraordinary claim, thus it is up to you, the believer, to provide proof to back it up.

It is not up to us, or anyone else, to disprove any theory for which there is no evidence. Evolution, for example, has tons and tons of real evidence supporting it. Disproving evolution will also require real evidence, not just 'assuming' it cannot be true. If somebody came up to you and claimed to have a sure fire way of making pickles out of rocks only he could not explain the process to you, or show you how it worked, would you invest in his company? You either believe him, or not. You do not have to create an elaborate 'system' to explain a universe where rocks cannot become pickles, right? So, because there is no compelling proof, and the universe can be understood perfectly fine without there being any real god, we atheists simply choose not to accept your theory as valid. See, no 'system' required.

"And another question.... Are there religions today that are worse than Christianlity?"
      Many of the Eastern religions can be practiced with little, or no belief in the supernatural. They might still believe in some weird stuff, but no more weird that the stuff in an average self-help book.

There are versions of Christianity that are worse than others, just as there are versions of Judaism and Islam that are worse than others. Right now, here in the US, radical right conservative Christian groups are causing the most harm, in my opinion. Radical right conservative Islamic groups tend to be producing terrorist sects that do violence throughout the world, and radical right conservative Jews seem to be contributing more to the Gaza settlement problem than their more liberal fellow citizens. Do you see a common pattern?

December 2, 2010 at 1:03 pm |
    • NL

Bill In STL-
      Maybe a better analogy here.

Suppose that you are an ace mechanic and you keep an immaculate garage. You know cars and engines inside and out. Now, you take an engine completely apart and put it back together for a client, start her up and she purrs like a kitten. You look around and you don't see any missing parts. Would you just assume there must be a missing part?

Scientists are aces in their own fields. They don't just overlook things. They know how the universe works better than anybody else. The universe 'works' just fine given all the parts we know of and our understanding of them. So, why assume there 'must' be something being overlooked?

December 2, 2010 at 1:46 pm |
    • Bill In STL

NL Your analogies are all fine and good and certainly have a basis in fact. No argument there. How ever (there always seems to be one of those doesn't there? LOL) I don't believe that I know it all. As a matter of fact as a systems operating system programmer for the last 32 years I readily admit I don't know it all or even better than the next person. I am honest in that just as I am honest in the fact that I believe that I can be a better person, a better christian person. This according to the teachings of Christ.... at least as well as I can understand them and not man. I feel no need to answer to mankind for my religous beliefs ... they are mine..... I will not subject you or anyone else to them although you might be the beneficiary of them at some time. I can't promise that our paths will not cross.... LOL 😉 as to the fact that I bought into them???? nah not true... I see them as guidlines for a more civilized existenance......

December 2, 2010 at 2:24 pm |
    • NL

Bill In STL-
      None of us know it all. Few of us, for example, can explain the process by which a jumbo jet can take off and fly across the ocean, but we trust that the scientists and the engineers have gotten it right because it does work. There are human errors which sometimes lead to crashes, but we never board a plane thinking that the principles of powered flight will suddenly become false, do we?

Evolution also works. We know this for many reasons including the fact that it is a keystone to modern biology that brings us many medical advancements that would not be possible if evolution were incorrect. Yet, people choose to still claim that it cannot possibly actually work even though the fact that it does is saving their lives. How can this be possible? My only guess is that people are ignorant of how evolution works themselves but, instead of trusting what the experts have to say about evolution, they are trusting what the frightened neurotics, the ones who think that accepting evolution means the end of us all, have to say. This is like listening to the guy shouting "How can a 100 ton piece of metal possibly fly?" as you are boarding your flight. Reason won't drive you off the plane, but fear might. What you have to ask yourself is: Is the fear truly justified?

Wanting to be a better person is a pretty universal thing. You happen to think that involves being a better Christian. I happen to know too much about Christianity to accept it in principle, but I still hope to be a better person too. I like most of the teachings of Jesus, the man. I can accept him as a good, wise teacher who wanted to lead his people to behaving better, and more justly. I don't like what most Christians have made of him as the Christ, all judgmental, cruel and angry.

That version of him has led to some very destructive and discriminatory behavior which has been made possible through people's certainty that Jesus was supernatural, our maker, and thus our owner. So far throughout our history the belief that humans can be owned has led to only pain and sorrow, and I don't see there being any difference between being owned by a human overseer who disciplines you with a whip on his master's behalf, or by a human overseer who disciplines you with a book on his invisible, unprovable, likely imaginary master's behalf.

December 2, 2010 at 4:56 pm |
    • David Johnson

@NL

I always enjoy reading your comments. Cheers to you!

December 2, 2010 at 5:42 pm |
    • NL

David Johnson-
      Thanks, buddy, and may I return the compliment? 😉

December 2, 2010 at 8:03 pm |
  4. OR

Jesus said to the believer " The world will hate you because of me". So I'm not surprise of all the hate mentioned here. This world is lost. I pray for All of you who don't know Jesus. It is because you don't know the Lord Jesus Christ that you speak in hate and ignorance. Jesus still loves you even if you hate HIM. I still love you even if you hate me. Give your hearts to Jesus and Repent of your SINS and the TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE...

December 2, 2010 at 10:55 am |
    • NL

OR-

"Jesus said to the believer " The world will hate you because of me". So I'm not surprise of all the hate mentioned here."

When I read the gospels I can imagine a version of Jesus who is easy to admire: Mild, meek and full of wisdom. Of course, this version bares little resemblance to many Christian's idea of Jesus as wrathful, war-like, and discriminatory. It's easy to love Jesus, just not the Jesus you want everyone to love.

December 2, 2010 at 11:05 am |
  5. Mark

Easy solution: Get an Android phone and write your own app.

December 2, 2010 at 10:19 am |
  6. Steven

Agreed^

December 2, 2010 at 9:45 am |
  7. Jake

Apple pulls apps from the store all the time, many of them no more offensive than this one. It is simply the rules - free speech doesn't apply in a privately owned domain. If you agree that apple should have this right, then you can't complain. If you don't agree, then you can't complain when a really offensive app is available.

To say that some offensive apps should be pulled, but not other offensive apps, because "they really aren't as offensive," is to try and redefine what "offensive" means in the first place. Are we in the era of redefining words to suit our own cause, now?

December 2, 2010 at 9:32 am |
    • HotAirAce

Unfortunately, I think we are...

This practice might be summarized as "political correctness."

I think you will see Apple reverse themselves on this because being perceived as a biased information source, or censure, will hurt their overall business model, and potentially adds huge complexity and cost to their operation. If they hold to this decision, I think it follows that they will have to review the editorial and op-ed pages presented by apps from the more mainstream media outlets. They should have stuck to standards for the quality of the app (look, feel, robustness, etc.) and stayed away from commenting on the content. Other mechanisms, laws and standard already in place should handle concerns over content.

December 2, 2010 at 9:59 am |
    • Bill In STL

Reading the article again ... it appears to be nothing more than a survey... people sure are touchy these days! 😉

December 2, 2010 at 12:26 pm |
    • civilioutside

Not really a survey. A survey simply asks the questions. This app apparently asks the questions, and then tells you that you are "right" if your answers agree with the Declaraion and "wrong" if they do not. This, I believe, is the source of people's offense at the app.

December 2, 2010 at 2:01 pm |
    • Bill In STL

Again ... still seems lile a survey... I can't tell you how many times I have been called and asked the first question of a survey then been told that I am not liberal enought to complete it.... Sounds about the same to me!

Or better yet more like a Junior high question sheet thats main intent is to hurt someone. Remember I am Christian and I am not arguing the about the app.... more I am arguing that Apple did not do this of their own accord.... so to praise them as if they had is not correct either.

December 2, 2010 at 2:30 pm |
    • civilioutside

I'm not praising them at all. Fact is that I feel Apple's policies border on the tyrannical. Yes, technically they have that right, just as I have (and exercise) the right not to support their policies by purchasing from them. I would rather see apps such as this one remain up even though I myself do not agree with it. I do not believe that one is inherently enti-tled to go through life without ever encountering anything that might be offensive. I further believe that overeager attempts to banish anything potentially offensive from the public discourse are inhibiting society's ability to discuss important issues that face all of us.

I believe that the Declaration's definition of marriage is wrong. I believe that their approach to the abortion issue is wrong. I do not believe that their god or any other exists. I believe that society as a whole can never come to a valid resolution of these questions, though, by simply forbidding the public discussion of them.

December 2, 2010 at 3:12 pm |
  8. Cincy_Sensei

I agree with jon c & Justa. Hate and judgement are not Christian (verb) behavior.

December 2, 2010 at 9:17 am |
  9. JustaT

First, I really hate it when Christians are all lumped in the same category. Unfortunately, some Christians out there are promoting HATE instead of the everlasting, enduring, ultimate love of Jesus Christ. Second, I agree with Apple that this app crossed the line. The last time I checked a bunch of questions cannot determine if you are "right" or "wrong". I pray for those that continue to promote hate.

December 2, 2010 at 9:09 am |
  10. jon c

The Christian Conservatives are a group about hate. I wouldn't support any of their bigotry no matter how much they tried to bully me. If there were a quiz attacking any minority group other than gays there would be outrage...but of course that disparity is seldom addressed.

December 2, 2010 at 9:08 am |
  11. Cincy_Sensei

Comments from Mark & Chris (12/1/2010, 8:26-40 AM) correspond to my opinion. I AM a conservative christian..but I do not support this app. To indicate correct or incorrect responses on the survey?..Sounds like judgement & bigotry to me. People should not judge, they SHOULD agree or disagree with a position. I do not agree with gay "lifestyle" or "gay rights". But I do not dislike those people. They deserve the same rights as everyone else. Nothing special. But their is no "right" to health care, there is no "right" equal pay. You have the right to pursue those opportunities...& those who provide those opportunities...have the right to grant the opportunity to somebody else.

Christian Right ("right" or correct, hah!) should stop judging.

Those who make choices in their life, which conflict with the Judeo/Christian beliefs that our country & laws are founded on...should change, accept the laws as they are, or live in another country...I only wish certain "actors/recording artists/entertainers" would abide by the oath they made before GW Bush was re-elected – LEAVE!

December 2, 2010 at 9:04 am |
  12. Daniel

Last I checked, Apply wasn't a government required to provide free speech. If it says your app is offensive and removes it, that's their decision. If you don't like that decision or disagree, find someone else to host your app.

I suppose Amazon is required to host servers for Wikileaks because of free speech? Ehhh! Same concept which is why Amazon ditched them.

December 2, 2010 at 9:03 am |
    • Daniel

*Apple* - Not Apply, lol - it's early still 🙂

December 2, 2010 at 9:04 am |
  13. Rick McDaniel

Good for Apple. It would be offensive to me, and I am not a member of the ostracized groups.

Organized religion has to stop persecuting people, for who they are, and what they believe. This is a religious liberty zone.

December 2, 2010 at 9:02 am |
  14. conradshull

The app is indeed offensive, but no more so than Steve Jobs.

December 2, 2010 at 8:52 am |
    • NL

Why is Jobs offensive? Because he doesn't take a salary as CEO of Apple?

December 2, 2010 at 11:09 am |
    • Bill In STL

Silly question .... Jobs is rich ... he is to be envied.... his flaunting of his wealth is offensive.... He needs to pay more taxes .... he is different ... See andrews comments above!

December 2, 2010 at 11:22 am |
    • NL

Bill In STL-
      Not a prosperity gospel lover, eh? 😉

December 2, 2010 at 5:31 pm |
  15. Reality

An app to put religion into perspective:

1. origin: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F20E1EFE35540C7A8CDDAA0894DA404482

New Torah For Modern Minds

Abraham, the Jewish patriarch, probably never existed. Nor did Moses. The entire Exodus story as recounted in the Bible probably never occurred. The same is true of the tumbling of the walls of Jericho. And David, far from being the fearless king who built Jerusalem into a mighty capital, was more likely a provincial leader whose reputation was later magnified to provide a rallying point for a fledgling nation.

Such startling propositions – the product of findings by archaeologists digging in Israel and its environs over the last 25 years – have gained wide acceptance among non-Orthodox rabbis. But there has been no attempt to disseminate these ideas or to discuss them with the laity – until now.

The United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism, which represents the 1.5 million Conservative Jews in the United States, has just issued a new Torah and commentary, the first for Conservatives in more than 60 years. Called "Etz Hayim" ("Tree of Life" in Hebrew), it offers an interpretation that incorporates the latest findings from archaeology, philology, anthropology and the study of ancient cultures. To the editors who worked on the book, it represents one of the boldest efforts ever to introduce into the religious mainstream a view of the Bible as a human rather than divine docu-ment.

2. Jesus was an illiterate Jewish peasant/carpenter/simple preacher man who suffered from hallucinations and who has been characterized anywhere from the Messiah from Nazareth to a mythical character from mythical Nazareth to a ma-mzer from Nazareth (Professor Bruce Chilton, in his book Rabbi Jesus). An-alyses of Jesus’ life by many contemporary NT scholars (e.g. Professors Crossan, Borg and Fredriksen, ) via the NT and related doc-uments have concluded that only about 30% of Jesus' sayings and ways noted in the NT were authentic. The rest being embellishments (e.g. miracles)/hallucinations made/had by the NT authors to impress various Christian, Jewish and Pagan se-cts.

The 30% of the NT that is "authentic Jesus" like everything in life was borrowed/plagiarized and/or improved from those who came before. In Jesus' case, it was the ways and sayings of the Babylonians, Greeks, Persians, Egyptians, Hit-ti-tes, Canaanites, OT, John the Baptizer and possibly the ways and sayings of traveling Greek Cynics.
    earlychristianwritings.com/theories.html

For added "pizz-azz", Catholic theologians divided god the singularity into three persons and invented atonement as an added guilt trip for the "pew people" to go along with this trinity of overseers. By doing so, they made god the padre into god the "fil-icider".

Current RCC problems:

Pedo-ph-iliac priests, an all-male, mostly white hierarchy, atonement theology and original sin!!!!

3. Luther, Calvin, Joe Smith, Henry VIII, Wesley, Roger Williams, the Great “Babs” et al, founders of Christian-based religions or combination religions also suffered from the belief in/hallucinations of "pretty wingie thingie" visits and "prophecies" for profits analogous to the myths of Catholicism (resurrections, apparitions, ascensions and immacu-late co-nceptions).

Current problems:

Adu-lterous preachers, "propheteering/ profiteering" evangelicals and atonement theology,

4. Mohammed was an illiterate, womanizing, lust and greed-driven, warmongering, hallucinating Arab, who also had embellishing/hallucinating/plagiarizing scribal biographers who not only added "angels" and flying chariots to the koran but also a militaristic agenda to support the plundering and looting of the lands of non-believers.

This agenda continues as shown by the ma-ssacre in Mumbai, the as-sas-sinations of Bhutto and Theo Van Gogh, the conduct of the seven Muslim doctors in the UK, the 9/11 terrorists, the 24/7 Sunni suicide/roadside/market/mosque bombers, the 24/7 Shiite suicide/roadside/market/mosque bombers, the Islamic bombers of the trains in the UK and Spain, the Bali crazies, the Kenya crazies, the Pakistani “koranics”, the Palestine suicide bombers/rocketeers, the Lebanese nutcases, the Taliban nut jobs, the Ft. Hood follower of the koran, and the Filipino “koranics”.

And who funds this muck and stench of terror? The warmongering, Islamic, Shiite terror and torture theocracy of Iran aka the Third Axis of Evil and also the Sunni "Wannabees" of Saudi Arabia.

Current crises:

The Sunni-Shiite blood feud and the warmongering, womanizing (11 wives), hallucinating founder.

5. Hinduism (from an online Hindu site) – "Hinduism cannot be described as an organized religion. It is not founded by any individual. Hinduism is God centered and therefore one can call Hinduism as founded by God, because the answer to the question ‘Who is behind the eternal principles and who makes them work?’ will have to be ‘Cosmic power, Divine power, God’."

The caste/laborer system, reincarnation and cow worship/reverence are problems when saying a fair and rational God founded Hinduism."

Current problems:

The caste system, reincarnation and cow worship/reverence.

6. Buddhism- "Buddhism began in India about 500 years before the birth of Christ. The people living at that time had become disillusioned with certain beliefs of Hinduism including the caste system, which had grown extremely complex. The number of outcasts (those who did not belong to any particular caste) was continuing to grow."

"However, in Buddhism, like so many other religions, fanciful stories arose concerning events in the life of the founder, Siddhartha Gautama (fifth century B.C.):"

Archaeological discoveries have proved, beyond a doubt, his historical character, but apart from the legends we know very little about the circu-mstances of his life. e.g. Buddha by one legend was supposedly talking when he came out of his mother's womb.

Bottom line: There are many good ways of living but be aware of the hallucinations, embellishments, lies, and myths surrounding the founders and foundations of said rules of life.

Then, apply the Five F rule: "First Find the Flaws, then Fix the Foundations". And finally there will be religious peace and religious awareness in the world!!!!!

December 2, 2010 at 8:42 am |
  16. Kristin

Christian hatred. Go away, CR's!

December 2, 2010 at 8:39 am |
  17. RichP, easton, pa

I did not realize that this app was a requirement to download even for people who did not like it or want it. I guess I was just lucky that the istore did not require me to download it last week when I updated my apps on my iPhone.

December 2, 2010 at 8:36 am |
  18. Robert

The christians should keep thier mouths shut and keep their noses out of others business. We evolved people in the world are tired of their communist ways..lol...hey..they are the ones that say you can't get to heaven unless you believe exactly as they do...i call that communist. according to them the only way to heaven is to believe that jesus is the son of god....NOT......but if that's what makes them feel better great for them...just keep your darn noses out of everyones elses business..if we want your opinion we'll ask for ok.

December 2, 2010 at 8:26 am |
  19. Brad

Just another example of wackjobs not getting it when it comes to tech companies. Apple has rights too and has the right to determine what is and what is not acceptable in their app store. This is not a free speech issue. Secondly, why use an app for this purpose?

December 2, 2010 at 8:21 am |
  20. Mark M

I don't think the app is appropriate, but I think that Apple made a bad decision in allowing the app, giving it 4 stars for no objectionable content since October, and then pulling the app now without at least discussing with the programmers what could be done to make it acceptable. I will never own an iPhone or iPad or iTouch because of Apple's method of distribution and totalitarian control over what makes it and what doesn't.

I'm fed up with Gays forcing their standards on society and telling us that we are bigots if we don't accept them. If Christians do the same we are hate-mongers, insensitive, and whatever other name they can think to call.

For all those that love to bash people that have any faith in whichever God they choose to follow, why do you scream for tolerance of your (non) belief when you are so unwilling to be tolerant yourselves?

Let everybody worship (or not) God the way they want. Learn to have civil discussions in regards to the theme.

December 2, 2010 at 8:15 am |
    • Frogist

@MarkM: Gays are forcing their standards on society? What does that mean exactly? They live their lives in peace and Christian extremists want them not to have equal rights or even be recognized as people. Who is forcing what on whom?

December 2, 2010 at 10:08 am |