home
RSS
Full-Scale Replica Of Noah's Ark Planned for outside Cincinnati
December 1st, 2010

Full-Scale Replica Of Noah's Ark Planned for outside Cincinnati

Editor's Note: This story comes from CNN Affiliate WLWT in Cincinnati, Ohio.

The Creation Museum will announce details Wednesday afternoon of its planned expansion.

Answers In Genesis, which built and operates the religious-themed attraction, plans to build a full-scale wooden replica of Noah's Ark based on biblical descriptions.

The $24.5 million project will be constructed by the same team that built the Creation Museum.

The religious ministry is soliciting online donations to help construct the project, which they expect to draw an estimated 1.6 million visitors per year.

Ken Ham, president and CEO of Answers In Genesis, cites poll data showing that an estimated 63 percent of Americans would visit a full-scale replica of Noah's Ark if one were built in the U.S.

Read the full story from WLWT.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Art • Christianity • Culture & Science • Ohio • United States

1. Dan Tanner

And we must hear from the scientologists the rag-heads, the wiccans, and the cargo cultists on this. But not those no-nothing atheists.

December 1, 2010 at 5:34 pm |
  2. Mitch Agun

They might be able to save a few dollars by buying a "like new" ark structure down the interstate in western MD. I am sure the people of Frostburg would be happy to see this eyesore disappear. see http://post-gazette.com/pg/06106/682602-85.stm

December 1, 2010 at 5:32 pm |
    • Q

I didn't watch the video, but I remember hearing that was a real "Music Man" scenario.

December 1, 2010 at 6:52 pm |
    • Q

Oops...I meant read the article...(nobody posts actual readin' links anymore!)

December 1, 2010 at 6:55 pm |
    • Letmepost

LOL. I was thinking exactly the same thing. I drove past that thing a lot when I went to school in WV (not WVU).

December 2, 2010 at 6:40 pm |
  3. Dan Tanner

And the earth is flat. The sun goes around the earth. Ringing church bells prevents lightning strikes.

December 1, 2010 at 5:32 pm |
  4. JohnQuest

Creationism is Real, thank you (Brother or Sister), I am honored to have entertained you today.

December 1, 2010 at 5:27 pm |
    • Creationism is Real

We're trying for the same thing here John. I'm merely trying to be an effecive agent (as are you) to combat the creationism nonsense that plagues our nation. By parroting their nonsense in a slightly sarcastic way, I hope to make people think and say "Wow, I'm glad I'm not as stupid as Creationism is Real."

December 1, 2010 at 5:41 pm |
    • JohnQuest

No offense taken, however if I were a Christian I would be mandated to take your head, lucky for both of us I am a non believer.

December 1, 2010 at 5:50 pm |
  5. wow

Imagine all the poor people who could be helped with that 24 million.

December 1, 2010 at 5:25 pm |
  6. Reality

I'd be a lot more impressed if they built this thing to scale using only tools and materials that would have been available to Noah (or Gilgamesh), with only 8 people, and then stuck it in the water for 40 days.

December 1, 2010 at 5:22 pm |
  7. semanticantics

Couldn't that $24.5 million go to feeding / clothing the homeless or other Christian-y things?

December 1, 2010 at 5:14 pm |
  8. JohnQuest

you all fell for it, I just learned that the hard way

December 1, 2010 at 4:39 pm |
    • Creationism is Real

I lubz you JohnQuest. Don't ever change.

December 1, 2010 at 5:20 pm |
  9. you all fell for it

You guys do realize "Creationism is Real" is just a joker, poking fun at creationists right? He's just trying to sound as absurd as possible, to highlight how stupid real creationists are.

December 1, 2010 at 4:34 pm |
    • Creationism is Real

Why are you blowing my cover? We're having thought provoking discussions here.

December 1, 2010 at 5:21 pm |
    • Earthling

Of course. He is none other than Edward Current or a well-practiced impostor.

December 2, 2010 at 10:12 pm |
  10. JohnQuest

juspraizinHim!, Thank you for your prayers, I will accept them in the spirit in which (I assume) they were given. Although, I completely reject the Idea of God (without proof), I appreciate you attempting to intervene on my behalf, I accept the “fact” that if I am wrong I will spend eternity in He ll. You will also have to accept the fact that if you are wrong and Baal is the True God, you will spend the rest of eternity in he ll.

Somehow, I don’t think you are worried about Baal being angry with you.

December 1, 2010 at 4:30 pm |
    • juspraizinHim!

JohnQuest – I am not wrong – I used to be wrong when I didn't believe. I know God is real and you can know it too. I challenge you to 'sincerely' pray with a seeking heart (which is just talking to God ) and ask Him to reveal Hisself – that's all you have to do! No tricks, no reading books, no scientific evidence, no hocus pocus – just a one-on-one with the Creator! God bless you JohnQuest, I mean that from the bottom of my heart. I've been where you and the others are – I was a 'mocker' too. But one day I thought, hey suppose these folks talking about Jesus Christ are right! So I started 'seeking' God – asking Him if He is real – then show me!..... a change started happening in my life – not over night, but subtle changes over a short period of time. I could just sense 'something' different. Then I kept thinking...."I need to buy a Bible' even in my sleep I would toss and turn thinking 'I need to buy a Bible'.... (I now realize that this was God speaking to my heart because I never thought about a Bible before and I really didn't want to be buy one then!) ....but after about a week I finally bought the cheapest bible I could find from Walmart and I started reading the bible – I didn't understand a lot of what I was reading, but I continued to read it anyways – everyday just a few verses at a time" Then God layed on my heart to find a church (of course I didn't know it was God at the time, I figured it was just something I was thinking of on my own). – so I started looking for a church that studied the Bible (again I now believe that was God given me direction) – after visiting a few churches I asked God to show me which church was right for me and He did – thru something the Pastor said at the church I became a member of, I knew what he said was meant for me & it had to have come from God because what this Pastor said only me & God would know and it had nothing to do with the subject of his sermon. I believed right then it was God letting me know that was the church for me – i felt it with all my heart!.......I could go on and on, but the biggest evidence is the change in me – people who knew me would tell me that I was changing. God changes not just our thinking, but He changes our hearts and He reveals things to us that we never understood before – and reading the Bible.....the more I read, the more I understand – God also gives us wisdom. I love talking about Him too! ....as if you couldn't tell... 🙂 Be blessed and much love through Christ Jesus! ....typed this fast so,......

December 1, 2010 at 5:20 pm |
    • JohnQuest

Those are very inspiring words, however after reading them several time I noticed a pattern, You wanted a change, you purchased a Bible, you read the Bible, you found what you wanted to find. All and all, it was you, no need for a God. You changed your life (I assume for the better), I have heard this many times and it's always the same. The changed person becomes closer to their family, take better care of themselves, looks for and finds a better job and so o., It all comes down to the fact that the person changed their outlook on life or changed their life style or some such thing. I think it's great but it wasn't a God that changed them (if it were they would \ could have changed when they did not want to or the changed could have happened overnight).

December 1, 2010 at 5:39 pm |
  11. JCP

Do you how many people they can train with new careers with that money? $24M? wow...

December 1, 2010 at 4:26 pm |
  12. JohnQuest

Creationism is Real, Rereading your comments they do have a certain youthfulness to them.

December 1, 2010 at 4:21 pm |
    • Creationism is Real

I'm 31 with an IQ of 132. I'm a computer programmer by profession but troll due to boredom.

Mostly my days are spent looking out a window and wishing I was a dog. When I was a kid I'd run around outside playing with dogs and sniffing their markings. The other children called me "weird', but with people like Bear Grylls drinking his own urine, who's foolish now?

I also liked jeeps when I was a kid. Mainly from watching GI-Joe. Often times I'd pretend to ride my Jeep into the deep ocean and set off large explosives to combat the evil tyranny of Cobra. Also< I'd collect squid and eat tons of calamari, which I'm still fond of.

Of course, I now know a jeep couldn't function underwater, so I'd have to wrap it in waterproof bubblewrap to prevent scratches and not let the engine get wet.

December 1, 2010 at 4:32 pm |
  13. C.Gro

$24.5 million could house a whole lot of homeless people!

December 1, 2010 at 4:17 pm |
    • Shannlee

maybe they can make them apartments in the ark!!!

December 1, 2010 at 5:14 pm |
  14. Martin

Welcome to Idiot America. No wonder we're falling so far behind in the world. Our schools cannot get enough funding to educate our kids, and religious loons want to fritter their money away on brainless rubbish like this. We are officially an intellectual third world country. Praise Jebus!

December 1, 2010 at 4:13 pm |
    • jeff

Because the p-orn, gambling, and alcoholic beverage industries are such better things to spend it on! Sounds like somebody is coveting somebody's money...

December 1, 2010 at 5:30 pm |
  15. juspraizinHim!

Heavenly Father I pray for every nonbeliever on this blog, who are not just unbelievers but mockers of You, their Creator. They say You are not real, that there is no proof of Your existence, because that is what they have been told, yet it is obvious that they have never taken the time to just ask You to come into their hearts, to open their eyes to see You. Your Word tells us that You are not a distant God, and that anyone who seeks You will find You. I am a witness of this truth. So I pray that these nonbelievers will take time from their mockery to ask You with a sincere heart to show them that You indeed exist, so that they can experience Your presence in their lives, and experience the joy of having a personal relationship with You. I pray that they will accept Jesus Christ as their Lord & Savior so that when they take their last breath on this earth, they will spend eternity in Your glorious presence. I especially pray for Bryan, who has put his faith and belief in the foolish limited wisdom of man, that is ever changing and correcting & has tossed aside his belief in You.I am grieving over the destination of his eternal perishing soul. Because tomorrow nor the next hour is not promised to any of us. Some tie their shoes in the morning and the coronor unties them in the evening. so I ask in the name of Jesus, send a true believer to share & witness to Bryan and the other mockers, prepare their hearts to receive Your truth. – and Lord I thank You again for coming into my heart, opening my eyes to see the Truth, to know theTtruth, to experience the Truth, for changing me from a nonbeliever to someone who never wants to be without Your presence in my life. Now I understand why believers suffer the worst kind of persecution throughout the world rather than to denounce their love for & belief in You. You ARE God and God alone and I love you so much. amen.

December 1, 2010 at 4:09 pm |
    • Creationism is Real

I agree. If people would just believe that God was real and asked him to come into their hearts, then he would appear to allow them to believe in him. Praise our Lord.

December 1, 2010 at 4:21 pm |
    • Former Believer

Prayer is for those that want to feel like they're doing "something" without actually having to do anything.

December 1, 2010 at 5:44 pm |
    • Voice of Scientific Reason

I believe in God. I really do. I am not so sure about Jesus, Mohamed, Vishnu, Buddha, et. all. I think it would be easier if people started trying to understand who the real GOD is then we would not be fighting so much over little "religious" differences. Seriously all faith aside, do you really know what happens next. The answer to that question is no, no one does.

December 1, 2010 at 6:43 pm |
    • J. Millman

eternally perishing soul? bro, who are you to judge his soul? God does not burn his creations, God loves everything exactly the way it is, no exceptions. There is nothing that anyone can do to make God love you more, or less, or cause eternal damnation.
      Everyone, and everything, is loved by God.

December 1, 2010 at 11:45 pm |
    • Bad Religion

Show me a picture or video of you and god and I will believe you. For real. I will. Just ya know, show me the money. U and Jesus. You claim to know him. Im sure he's a good dude. Surely not one that would reject a photo op with someone who loves him so much. If you would, please send all proofof God to
      JesusdiedLOL@hotmail.com

December 2, 2010 at 1:53 am |
  16. Bob

According to scripture the original arc was built by the labor of one man and his family. Why would it cost $24/5 million to reproduce it?

December 1, 2010 at 3:59 pm |
    • Creationism is Real

Inflation. You know how back in the 1950's you could get a chocolate bar for like 10 cents, that's the same effect here. We go back 3000 years and that family probably only spent all of $2.68 on building the ark. Sure, they could have spent that on sweets and gummi bears, but it was a small amount of money anyways.

December 1, 2010 at 4:01 pm |
  17. JohnQuest

Creationism is Real, I really did deserve that. In my defense, I have talked to a few severely uninformed people on this blog

December 1, 2010 at 3:49 pm |
    • Creationism is Real

I know, it's ok. It wasn't my intent to direclty insult you. So if you felt that way, please don't.

What I find difficult is being more outlandish and silly then your typical fundie, so that I can "Truly" troll properly.

Anywhoo, it was fun, well, at least for me.

December 1, 2010 at 3:55 pm |
    • Creationism is Real

Hopefully now if you read my previous comments, you can find a certain, panache to them. 🙂

December 1, 2010 at 3:57 pm |
    • Maybe

A perfect example of Poe's Law:

"Poe's Law points out that it is hard to tell parodies of fundamentalism (or, more generally, any crackpot theory) from the real thing, since they both seem equally insane. Conversely, real fundamentalism can easily be mistaken for a parody of fundamentalism."

December 1, 2010 at 11:20 pm |
  18. Andy

Whj OF COURSE there was an Arc! Bill Cosby said so in "Why Is There Air" and it was 50 cubits by 75 cubits. Now if someone would please tell me what a cubit is, we can get on with building this thing.

December 1, 2010 at 3:47 pm |
    • Shannlee

A cubit is 45.75cm. So the Ark would have been 2287.5cm by 3431.25. Since there are 100cm in a meter, that would be 22.875m by 34.3125m. This translates to 75ft and .59inches by 112ft and 6.88inches for those of you not familiar with the metric system. Pretty small freakin box for so many animals.

December 1, 2010 at 4:44 pm |
    • jeff

Don't you remember seeing those monstrous cubit zirconia rings selling on the Home Shopping Network?

December 1, 2010 at 5:34 pm |
    • Creationism is Real

Math and objective analysis of given facts are tools of the devil sir. You are possessed.

December 1, 2010 at 5:42 pm |
  19. JohnQuest

Creationism is Real, I apologize, I thought I was conversating with another adult.

December 1, 2010 at 3:34 pm |
    • Creationism is Real

So, you thought that silly, ciricular arguments littered with logical fallacies are aruments worthy from an "adult"?

You must have a low standard for adulthood.

December 1, 2010 at 3:41 pm |
  20. J Patcher

I frequently watch "Answers in Genesis". It is one of the most hysterically funny programs on TV. I highly recommend it for a really good laugh.

December 1, 2010 at 3:34 pm |