home
RSS
December 2nd, 2010

Penalized for thanking God?

Editor's Note: CNN Affiliate KOMO brings us this story.

Tumwater beat East Valley 63-27 on Monday night at the Tacoma Dome during the 2A state semifinal game, but a post-touchdown penalty call was a big surprise for the player responsible.

In the second quarter of the game, Tumwater running back Ronnie Hastie scored on a 23-yard run, took a knee in the end zone and briefly pointed to the heavens above.

For that the referee threw a flag, saying it was unsportsmanlike conduct.

Hastie said he's pointed up as a gesture to God after every touchdown he's scored in every game and never had a problem before.

"It's usually one or two seconds long," he said. "It's something I've done as a tradition."

Hastie said he asked the ref why he was penalized, and the ref responded that Hastie wasn't supposed to draw attention to himself.

"That wasn't the point (of the gesture), so I guess I was a little confused," Hastie said. "I do that to give glory to my heavenly father, Jesus. He gives me the strength. He's the one who gives me these abilities in the first place."

Read the full story from CNN Affiliate KOMO.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Christianity • Religious liberty • Sports

1. Debra Hall

Why get penalized for praising God? I thank God every day for all that he has given me. Ronnie, you just go ahead keeping thanking God for allowing you to play football someday you'll be in the big leagues. Excess celebration ? are you kidding me? Those officials are blind or unbelievers NFL players are always thanking God for scoring a touchdown .Change the rules thanking God is a blessing don't take it away from Ronnie Hastie. God Bless you, Debra Hall, Batavia, NY

December 5, 2010 at 7:29 am |
  2. Danny

Think for yourself!

December 4, 2010 at 8:46 pm |
  3. ttwp

But Christ has indeed been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep.

Do not be misled: “Bad company corrupts good character.” Come back to your senses as you ought, and stop sinning; for there are some who are ignorant of God—I say this to your shame.

December 4, 2010 at 6:03 pm |
  4. Wilma

Reality- why believe in Jesus at all or Mary or Joseph for that matter. It seems so funny to me how people will acknowledge that Jesus was born and that He was crucified but don't want to believe the rest of the story. See the problem that discreditors have ran into with their stories are the fact that they can't prove He didn't exist and they can't prove that He was not resurrected. See the proof that us Christians have is that we KNOW our redeemer lives. He's not a baby in a manger anymore, He's not a broken man on a cross, He didn't stay in the grave, and He's not staying in heaven forever. He will return and He will bring destruction upon the earth. The happy-ending for us Christians is that we get to go home to Heaven when He returns. You have to ask yourself first of all what do you believe about the here-after. Do you believe when you die that you simply become void? Do you believe that you are going into another life? So many people are unsure of what is after this life. Me on the other hand I know without a doubt in my mind what is after this. Do you believe that you had a creator? Scientists, in the process of trying to disprove GOD, have said that the theory of the big bang and evolution are impossible theories. The human body alone is to complex to be a random act of any set of molecules; and that's not counting the billions of other species of animals, plants, and insects. So it's okay if you choose not to accept Jesus but to say that He doesn't exist or that a Heavenly Creator is not possible is just shear ignorance. If you spent the man hours, money, and intelligence that it would take to even begin to try and discredit His existence or His resurrection then I can almost guarantee that you would come up with the same answer that many before you have already found. There is something or someone bigger than you and it could be called God. So what if a heaven or hell is real? Is hell the place you really would choose to be? Like many others on this blog, your in my prayers. It disgusts me to see the devil deceive so many people. I don't say the things that I've said to rile you or hurt you, but to make you think a little deeper and to look a little harder for the Truth. I pray that you find your way. I pray that one day you know the love that I know from my Father in heaven and my Savior, Jesus Christ.

December 4, 2010 at 12:35 pm |
    • Reality

Read the following slowly and carefully:

Saving Christians from the Resurrection Con:

From that famous passage: In 1 Corinthians 15 St. Paul reasoned, "If Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith."

To wit;

From a major Catholic university's theology grad school white board class notes:

Jesus and Mary's bodies are therefore not in Heaven.

Only Luke's Gospel records it. The Assumption ties Jesus' mission to Pentecost and missionary activity of Jesus' followers The Assumption has multiple layers of symbolism, some are related to Mary's special role as "Christ bearer" (theotokos). It does not seem fitting that Mary, the body of Jesus' Virgin-Mother (another biblically based symbol found in Luke 1) would be derived by worms upon her death. Mary's assumption also shows God's positive regard, not only for Christ's male body, but also for female bodies." "

The single Step continued:

The Vatican quickly embellished this story with a lot CYAP.

Of course, we all know that angels are really mythical "pretty wingie talking thingies".

With respect to rising from the dead, we also have this account:

An added note: As per R.B. Stewart in his introduction to the recent book, The Resurrection of Jesus, Crossan and Wright in Dialogue, ( Professors Crossan and Wright are On Faith panelists).

So where are the bones? As per Professor Crossan's analyses in his many books, the body of Jesus would have ended up in the mass graves of the crucified, eaten by wild dogs, with lime in a shallow grave, or under a pile of stones.

December 4, 2010 at 3:24 pm |
  5. walker71010

I for one can not believe how people are belittling God. I am appalled that this young man was flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct for giving God the glory that He deserves. I am so thankful that I am raising my children to stand up for Christ, and that we live in a community that embraces God not condemn Him. My son plays football and his coach's and team pray before every game (and he is in a public school). God Bless

December 4, 2010 at 12:04 pm |
  6. Wilma

Dirty Sanchez, let me say this to you my brother... you say that you were miserable as a Christian due to hypocrites, right? I won't disagree with the fact that you will meet many hypocrites in any religion, but the first mistake you made was looking to man instead of God. Man will let you down because we are not perfect. God is not a God of confusion. Your heart told you that they were judging you and doing the same things or worse in the dark themselves. Your second mistake was caring what they thought. Do you not understand beloved that the devil came to kill, steal, and destroy. He stole your peace, he killed your faith, and he destroyed your soul. Thank God that we have a merciful God and that He is our true judge. If it were up to us to judge each other and to say who makes it to heaven and who doesn't, then guess what, none of us would make it. There are true Christians in this world, they are just harder to find these days. A true Christian loves their brothers and sisters and even their ememies and picks them up when they fall. I'm sorry that you had the experience that you had, but please don't punish yourself or your Savior for someone elses mistake. I will be praying for you because I think deep down you still know that God is tugging at your heart strings.

December 4, 2010 at 11:55 am |
    • dirty sancheez

Wilma
      First of all I am neither your brother nor your beloved and don't make the mistake again.
      Second of all, you make alot of assumptions. It seems that you are reading from a script, but don't worry you are shooting par among God-bots. Did I ever say that I was being judged by anyone? You have no IDEA what you are talking about. You think you have me all figured out? Well guess again.
      You say that Satan stole my peace. I don't believe in Satan but if he took to where I am now, he gave me peace. I have never been happier than I am now. ( I think that the soul and faith are a load to begin with.)
      Lastly, pray all you want. There have been legions of people who have prayed for me but I'm sure YOUR prayer will make the difference. LMAO

December 7, 2010 at 9:45 pm |
    • Wilma

Dirty Sanchez– Yes MY BROTHER trust that my prayers will make a difference and so will the prayers of the legions before me who have already prayed. You have a choice not to accept GOD, but I still have the choice to pray for your ignorance. Your a puppet on a string and too blind to see it. I don't read from any scripts. I simply allow the Holy Spirit to use me. And yes to answer your next question (because I do know you better than you think I do) I love being used by GOD. I for one have a Master who loves me, unlike the master who uses you. As a Christian I don't have any hatred in my heart so I still love you anyway, beloved, but more than this GOD still loves you. That's the beauty of His mercy and His grace; even when we can't see Him He still holds us close. Something inside you has told you already that GOD is real and to know this is to also know that satan is real as well. I pray that my Father in Heaven takes the blinders from your eyes and the stone from your heart. I pity the day that you raise up your eyes from hell and see the glory of my GOD and know that it is too late. Whether you know it or not the world doesn't love you and neither does it's prince of darkness. It's easy to be happy when you live in darkness and know that none of your faults or short-comings are in the light for everyone to see. You know what they say "Ignorance is Bliss". One day Jesus' light will shine throughout all the lands and every foul sinner will be exposed and the shame alone will be too much for them to bear. So while you laugh let me say this, I still love you anyway, brother, and I pray that every word that you have spoken against my Savior is played over and over again in your head until the sound of your own voice is unbearable to you. People like you are the reason why Christians still have so much work to do. One day, when you draw your last breath I pray that you use calling on the name of Jesus.

December 8, 2010 at 10:00 am |
    • dirty sancheez

Oh this just gets funnier and funnier.
      Ok let me get this straight, you 'know me better than I think you do' because the Holy Spirit/God is using you. So Holy Spirit/God tells you about my life? Right? Correct me if I'm wrong, unlike yourself, I don't like to presume what other people are thinking.
      Well, let's put this to a test, ask Holy Spirit/God what the name of my seventh grade math teacher was. This should be easy enough for he/them and an easy enough way regain a wayward lamb. When He/they tell you,you tell me and then I will believe it. Otherwise it sounds like a load of crap to me. Did they/he tell you the information about me on the opening post when you told ME about being judged in my church? Well I have news for you, He/they and you were sooo wrong. I never once felt judged in my church. The hypocrisy came elsewhere.
      Well keep the prayers coming. You know what they say about prayer," Prayer: Doing nothing and still think you're helping" I'll keep you posted on whether they are making any changes. LMFAO

December 8, 2010 at 10:45 pm |
  7. damnyank

he did it for attention...
    you can thank god with your heart, you don't have to do odd gestures to get his attention 😛

December 3, 2010 at 7:04 pm |
  8. hillbilleter

It's getting pretty bad when the vocal few can cast their own interpretation onto a 1-2 second gesture and call it self-aggrandizing. It's the opposite. That referee has a bias and let it affect his work.

December 3, 2010 at 5:27 pm |
  9. CW

@ Peace2All,
    @ Reality,

I noticed Peace said that he had "lost his marbles a long time ago"....man ain't that the truth.

Anyone including Reality who can reject and have no fear of God has really lost their marbles. As for the story yes GOD gives us all the abilities to do and not do things. So when we do something and Thank him for it...that is the proper thing to do.

December 3, 2010 at 9:56 am |
    • Reality

For deep perusal as doc-umented by most contemporary NT exegetes:

The Apostles' Creed 2010:

I might believe in a god whose existence cannot be proven
      and said god if he/she/it exists resides in an unproven,
      human-created state of bliss called heaven.

I believe there was a 1st century CE, Jewish, simple,
      preacher-man who was conceived by a Jewish carpenter
      named Joseph living in Nazareth and born of a young Jewish
      girl named Mary.

Jesus was summarily crucified for being a temple rabble-rouser by
      the Roman troops in Jerusalem serving under under Pontius Pilate,

He was buried in an unmarked grave and still lies
      a-mouldering in the ground somewhere outside of
      Jerusalem.

Said Jesus' story was embellished and "mythicized" by
      many local semi-fiction writers. A bodily resurrection and
      ascension story was promulgated to compete with the
      Caesar myths. Said stories were so popular that they
      grew into a religion known today as Catholicism/Christianity
      and featuring dark-age, daily wine to blood and bread to body rituals
      called the eucharistic sacrifice of the non-atoning Jesus.

Amen

December 3, 2010 at 2:56 pm |
    • CW

@ Reality,

talk about the PROPAGANDA. I truly feel sorry for you. Hope you repent from all your Sins.

December 3, 2010 at 5:04 pm |
    • Reality

Saving Christians from the Big Resurrection Con:

Even now even Catholic/Christian professors of theology are questioning the bodily resurrection of the simple, preacher man aka Jesus.

To wit;

From a major Catholic university's theology grad school class notes:

Jesus and Mary's bodies are therefore not in Heaven.

The single Step continued:

The Vatican quickly embellished this story with a lot CYAP.

With respect to rising from the dead, we also have this account:

December 4, 2010 at 12:01 am |
  10. Steve

It is not surprising that a ref would throw a flag for this. They are just bowing to the pressure from groups that do not believe in God ( or a god). These groups tend to use threats of legal action (costly) to bully others into doing what they say. They are nothing but gutless wonders who have very thin skins. The bottom line is: If you don't believe in God, then someone taking a knee and pointing up in the air should mean nothing to you.

December 3, 2010 at 8:01 am |
    • Bob

I think that instead of assessing the ref's personal thoughts, you look to the showboating rule that is in most highschool football rule books.

December 3, 2010 at 12:04 pm |
    • Mike, not me

Looked at them, did not find the infraction.

December 3, 2010 at 4:35 pm |
  11. prophet

WARNING stay away also from the Alpha Course

December 3, 2010 at 7:18 am |
  12. prophet

show kindness to one another this is the greatest Law of all even if you don't believe just be kind to people, if your unable to do it then you know why you do not believe in God and if you cannot show kindness then you will not receive it either.

December 3, 2010 at 7:15 am |
    • dirty sancheez

You know Prophet
      I love it when people tell me why I do the things that I do. You don't know the 1st thing about me.
      As for Jealousy, you have nothing that I want.
      I have no happiness in my life? Once again you know nothing of me. I was most miserable when I was a Christian. I never knew an organization more hypocritical.

December 3, 2010 at 8:29 am |
    • Bob

@Prophet The reason why people mock those who Beleieve in God is because they are jealous as they have no happiness in their lives, and examples of this are given throughtout The Bible Writings.

So the bible says that those who mock the bible are joyless? ROFL.

PS, I'll believe the loving part of the bible when God admits it was evil that he ordered Moses to kill men and children, keeping the virgins to ra-pe. Read your bible much?

December 3, 2010 at 12:06 pm |
  13. Wilma

It's really sad to see so many people disrespect my heavenly Father. I pity your souls. Whether you believe in Him or not is irrelevant because the fact still remains the same. He is God and He is your creator and one day EVERY knee will bow and EVERY tongue will confess their sins and proclaim that He is God. Do you think that you just appeared from dust or that monkeys are really your uncles. You serve one of two masters here on Earth (God or Satan). That is the only choice you are given. Whether you choose Him or not is your choice but if you deny Him then you serve the devil. If you were to ever get a taste of Him then you would know that He's not imaginary. You can see Him, you can hear Him, and you can feel Him all around you. I will definetly pray on the behalf of your pitiful souls. I will pray that He has mercy on you for your ignorance. I think that it is a beautiful thing that someone chooses to acknowledge Him in the public eye. And for the one's who wish to quote scripture but choose not to believe in the bible you are contradicting yourself. He told us in the end days that we will be ridiculed and tried for our beliefs. That is a punishment I'm willing to take. Like it or nor when Jesus died on the cross for ALL of our sins, He died for yours too. It was people like you who nailed Him there. So you can pray to your god or to yourself, whatever you choose, but you cannot take what was given to us freely. This country that you live in was founded on the freedom to serve GOD ALMIGHTY not buddah or mohammed or any other god you choose to worship. Needless to say, when it's all said and done at the end of the day GOD is still GOD and none of your silly little trash talk will ever change that fact.

December 2, 2010 at 9:52 pm |
    • dirty sancheez

Oh, I'm free to worship YOUR God.
      Thanks Founding Fathers.

December 2, 2010 at 11:51 pm |
    • prophet

Dera Wilma,

your so right, it is so sad to see people criticising God and at the end of the day God Exists and always will regardless of the evil that is said against Him.

Very few people choose to be saved by Our Saviour and as in the days of Noah people will be screaming and crying for help as they already are when they are being swept away by the calamaties that are already being shown.

The Jewish people always knew that the buliding of the ARK was a sign of the deluge to come, is it any coincidence that another ark is being bulit all be it it will not and cannot save anyone as such, but it is a sign to the people of the world that The End Time is here now. Wilma keep praying for them as they need it but they won't understand, but keep praying for them. Dear Wilma you sound like a nice person, did you know that your prayers will have greater effect if you pray using His Real Jewish Name Yeshua of Natzeret.

Yeshua wasn't just King of The Jewish people but He Is actually Jewish as well and we must respect what God gave us and He gave us HIs Name and we must respect His Real Name.

December 3, 2010 at 7:02 am |
    • CW

Wilma,

AMEN AMEN AMEN!!!! Preach it!!! Your right....Jesus took those nails from all of us. I'm thankful to say that I stand for God and all that he has wrote in the BIBLE.

They(those that choose to not believe) are in a huge amount of trouble if they don't repent and believe.

December 3, 2010 at 10:51 am |
  14. dirty sancheez

There's one way to settle this, ask God to come in and testify that he knows this person and that he recieved the thank you.
    If God shows, an apology should be given at once. If he doesn't show up or at least send a reply by an angel currier, this would be evidence that the player did it as an asinine, psuedo-religious gesture that was done to bring attention to himself. (Not proof but evidence).

December 2, 2010 at 9:35 pm |
  15. RUSerious?

This is NOT a joke! It's a bad sign for us Christians as far us prophecies in the bible is concerned. I think Vatican should take it seriously, and as a devoted Christian, I would demand that they should act on this and they must make it sure that this matter is accordingly dealt with.

December 2, 2010 at 9:25 pm |
  16. Claude

To paraphrase George Carlin,
    Why do athletes never blame God for losing a game?

December 2, 2010 at 9:07 pm |
    • Cloud

coz they blame yours!

December 2, 2010 at 9:16 pm |
  17. aUtheistIC

Time will come that somebody is mutilated becoz of praising God or for not denouncing religious belief. Or, was not allowed to buy foods or groceries bcoz they don't have the mark. Atheists were the one shoving their belief down to religious people's throat they intentionally turning upside down by passing to the latter the blame to hide their true intents and motives and soon they'll do it by force. They are discrediting bible through their wit, intellectual, articulate, scientific and logical arguments to convince every people here on earth that it's a 2000 year old hoax and everything written in it which includes the prophecies in Revelations and the book of Apocalypses that had prophecized their comming.

ALL RELIGIOUS PEOPLE LET NOT BE DECEIVED...HOLD ON TO YOUR FAITH AND MAKE YOURSELF PREPARED OF THE COMING OF THE MARKED BEAST..THE ANTI CHRIST...HIS MINIONS ARE ALREADY HERE TO PREPARE FOR HIS WAY. THEY ARE SLY AND THEY CALL THEMSELVES...ATHEISTS!

December 2, 2010 at 9:00 pm |
  18. aUtheistIC

This the most ridiculous act of Christian bashing as its best.

Warning to all Religious People!

Don't ever show or practice your beliefs coz there's an Atheist everywhere!!

Don't ever praise God on every blog on the internet and it will mean to them that you're shoving your belief down to their throat and they will surely storm it with typical (Atheistic)replies which is full of hate, profanity and name callings such "2000 years numbnuts", "oxymorons believing imaginary daddy", "idiots who believe magical being in the sky" and others available in vocabulary as you can see as most of the posts above and posts in every other articles here in CNN and other sites.

December 2, 2010 at 8:17 pm |
  19. Bob

@Let Us Prey You still are not understanding what I'm saying to you. It's not that you're using "complex words" you're not grasping what I'm telling you.

You wrote:
    I'm going to take the subordinate clauses, and descriptive modifiers out and reduce your sentences for clarity to:

"Given that faith is subjective it's impossible for it to determine (decide or discover?) reality." I think you mean the latter?

My answer:
    No, that's not what I mean. What I mean is that given faith is subjective it's not an accurate tool for determining what is and is not reality. That is to say what occurs in the universe. Either there is a God or there isn't a God, my own faith or thoughts on the matter don't affect that. People wishing for a God similarly does not make one exist.

So, given that people's thoughts on the matter do not affect what actually is occuring, they cannot have predicitve qualities. Therefore, using faith to determine what is and isn't God's religion isn't valid. You have to find a different methodology for evaluating your religion.

You wrote:
    Discover: I see the virgin mary burned into my morning toast. I show it to you, and you see burnt toast. I show it to an impartial third party, they say, "well, it could be the virgin mary... I didn't think her forehead with that big.. but, sure." What's the reality according to each of us?

I reply:
    The reality of the situation is that there is a piece of burnt toast that looks like the virgin mary. What you or I think about the toast doesn't change reality, only that person's perception of reality. What is real is real. What isn't real isn't. Just because someone believes that the toast was made by God doesn't make it so. Just because I think it's asinine that God would make the toast doesn't negate the possibility.

Given that neither of us can draw a concrete logical line from "Toast of Virgin" to "God", the only reasonable conclusion is that we are unsure of why it has occured. This also has no affect on what actually occured.

December 2, 2010 at 7:58 pm |
    • Let Us Prey

@ Bob

I replied to your re-post higher up the string.

December 2, 2010 at 9:56 pm |
    • Bob

Yes, definitely a mispost. Thanks. 🙂

December 3, 2010 at 11:14 am |
  20. aUtheistIC

The referee must be an Atheist. I am pretty amazed how unreasonable and irrational Aheist people these days, which is completely opposite of what they're claiming what they are.

December 2, 2010 at 7:53 pm |