home
RSS
December 8th, 2010

Embattled N.Y. imam launches initiative to bridge discord

Editor's Note: This report comes from the CNN Wire staff in New York.

The controversial head of a Muslim congregation in New York announced the launch of a "multinational, multifaith movement" meant to improve understanding and build trust between "people of all cultures and faith traditions," according to a statement released Tuesday.

Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf, the public face of a recent political firestorm surrounding the construction of an Islamic center in Lower Manhattan, is now spearheading what he calls the Cordoba Movement.

The initiative is meant to broaden his groups' work in promoting religious tolerance and "expand learning among Muslims, Jews, Christians and people of all faiths," the statement said.

It is unclear how the initiative will work to accomplish that goal.

Read the full story here.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: 'Ground zero mosque' • Belief • Houses of worship • Interfaith issues • Islam • Mosque

Next entry »

--------–

September 10, 2012 at 2:00 pm |
  5. Muneef

December 9, 2010 at 7:17 pm |
    • Reality

The "eloquence" of the koran:

Mohammed could not have known the size of the world, but several passages in the Koran show that he envisioned Islam dominating all of it, however large it might be: “He it is who sent his messenger . . . that he may cause it [Islam] to prevail over all religions´(Koran 9:33, M.M. Ali; see also 48:28 and 61:9). M.M. Ali designates these three passages as “the prophecy of the ultimate triumph of Islam in the whole world.”

Mohammed’s successors, the caliphs, quoted passages like these to inspire Muslim armies as they advanced out of Arabia, imposing Islam by the sword upon a peacefully unsuspecting Middle East and North Africa, as I described in the previous chapter.

Islamic armies, imbued with what Mohammed claimed was divine authorization, imposed Islam by force over vast areas, all the while extorting wealth from subjugated Jews and Christians to fund their ongoing conquests. As I noted, major defeats at Tours, France, in A.D. 732, and again at Vienna, Austria, in A.D. 1683, halted Islam’s attempt to take all of Europe by force. Gradually Islamic forces were forced to retreat from Europe, except for part of the Balkans. But Islam has again set its sights on a conquest of Europe and of European civilization, wherever the latter has spread to North and South America and other regions. Muslim strategists ask their followers, Why do we find in these modern times that Allah has entrusted most of the world’s oil wealth primarily to Muslim nations?

Their answer: Allah foresaw Islam’s need for funds to finance a final politico-religious victory over what Islam perceives as its ultimate enemy: Christianized Euro-American civilization. So, Islam follows Nazism, fascism and communism as the world’s latest hostile takeover aspirant.

Nazis, fascists and communists failed. Does Islam have a better chance at success? I believe it will flounder if we awaken to its threat in time; yet, if there is not adequate planned resistance, Islam does have a better chance of succeeding. Communism’s world takeover attempt was guaranteed to fail because its economic policy was naively contrary to human nature. Advocating the rubric What is mine is thine, and what is thine is mine, communism failed to see that human nature will not keep those two balanced propositions in equilibrium. Like a female black widow spider consuming her mate, the latter part of the formula makes a meal of the former, leading to the collapse of any system based upon that formula.

In contrast, political systems do well if they can persuade people to adhere to What’s mine is mine and What’s thine is thine maxims.

Only if a strong religious incentive is added does such an idealistic formula have any long-term chance. Even then success will be spotty. But communism (and Nazism, for that matter) excluded religion. And that mistake was the final nail eventually clamping a lid on communism’s coffin. Communism, on a historical scale, perished while still in its childhood.

Islam is not repeating communism’s mistake. Mating political cunning and incredible wealth with religious zeal, Islam does have a chance to succeed and will succeed unless major parts of the Western world unite to take appropriate countermeasures. But many Western leaders, unable to believe that a mere religion could possible be a serious political threat, keep proclaiming themselves as Islam-friendly, reasoning that all religions are good-aren’t they?

A Muslim strategist in Beverly Hills, California, declared several years ago, as quoted by a friend of mine: “Now that the struggle between Western democracies and international communism is winding down, it is time for the real and final struggle to begin, and we are going to win!”

When will people realize that just as there are good doctors and quacks, good cops and rogue cops, there can also be good religions and bad religions?"

December 10, 2010 at 7:02 am |
    • Muneef

Check this useful index :

December 10, 2010 at 6:14 pm |
  6. Muneef

Fear not if your own people will become to take over the Islamic project of monotheism visit here for more information's and researches :

December 9, 2010 at 7:03 pm |
  7. Brandi

The Cordoba movement? Have you studied about the Caliphate of Cordoba and the other Islamic supremacist rulers that governed for centuries? You better get on the stick and do some studying now.

I wonder if Rauf was asked about his apartment bldg that is in receivership in NJ? The video stopped halfway through for me.

December 9, 2010 at 6:53 pm |
  8. GSA

He's going about this issue in the right way, legally and morally. You can disagree but he has the right to his opinion as much as we all do and he has the right to build. You can protest, cry, scream and spew hate on Islam or this Imam but it won't get you anywhere. Even if the majority of the US and New York oppose this mosque it will be built. Here's a simple solution, if you don't like what's happening then move because it won't be stopped and he is following US law to the tee.
    @Frogist – great posts. Seems that a lot of the others here seem to want all the rights of a US citizen but want to pick and choose who else will be afforded those rights.

December 9, 2010 at 6:51 pm |
    • Frogist

@GSA: Thanks. I think the Imam puts a face to people's irrational fears. He is an easy target. But you're right, they can't legally halt this center from being built. I'll be glad to see it completed.

December 9, 2010 at 7:09 pm |
  9. Muneef

We understand from the above mentioned sura that the cure of our current disasters is in Asking God Allah's for pardon and for forgiveness and by praying and worshiping thee.. As only such acts keep on the universe spinning in prosperity..but by not doing so we as well learn that disastrous ending is up on not doing that. After all death is one whether it was caused by weapons,wars or natural disasters while all are because of our neglect the will of God Allah...

December 9, 2010 at 10:31 am |
    • Muneef

Another example is of messenger of God Hud or Hood who was sent to the people of Aad in city of Armm of the pillar:

Hud sura 11:
      In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful
      And unto Aad We sent their brother Hud. He said: O my people! worship Allah; ` there is no god for you but he; ye are but fabricators. (50) O My people! I ask of you no hire therefor, my hire is cnly on Him who created me, will ye not then reflect? (51) O My people! ask forgiveness of your Lord, then repent tcward Him; He will send the heaven upon you pouring, land He will add ycu strength upon your strength, and turn not away as guilty ones. (52) They sai: O Hud! thou hast not brought us an evidence, and we are not going to abandon our gods thy saying, nor are we going to be believers in thee. (53) All that we say is that some of our gods have smitten thee with evil. He said: verily I call Allah to witness, and bear ye witness, that I am quit of that which ye associate. (54) Beside Him, so plot against me all tcgether, and then respite me not. (55) Verily rely on Allah, my Lord and your Lord; no moving creature is there but he holdeth it by its forelock; verily my Lcrd is on the straight path. (56) If then ye turn away, I have surely preached unto you that wherewith I was sent unto you. And my Lord will set up in succession a people other than you, and ye shall not harm Him at all, verily my Lord is over everything a Guardian. (57).

December 9, 2010 at 10:43 am |
  10. Frogist

I wish you the best of luck, Imam. I believe in what you're doing. And I think a cultural center such as yours will do great things. People are prejudiced and hateful, but you shouldn't put aside your convictions because of their fears. I support you, and support Park 51.

December 9, 2010 at 9:45 am |
    • .308

Dear Imam...

You can fool all of the people some of the time... and some of the people (including our dear 'Frogist' here) all of the time... but, please be forewarned that the U.S. is not 'entirely' composed up of impressionable, easily mislead foolish young girls. Indeed, the vast majority of American adults are actually capable of thinking for themselves – and seeing through bullsh!it.

So, tell me.. all kidding aside.. how do you plan to implement your 'initiative', why are you fearful that American Muslims increasingly desire jihad, and why, despite increasing public awareness of the significance of the term "Cordoba", do you insist on using this name? This whole business continues to smell. Maybe you should just concentrate on being a better landlord? Or maybe put your multiple Stevens' Insti-tute graduate degrees in Plasma Physics to use? Or maybe not...

December 9, 2010 at 4:04 pm |
    • Frogist

@.308: Wow, could you be more condescending? Actually, considering your mish mash of fearful rantings, yeah I bet you could.

December 9, 2010 at 7:03 pm |
    • .308

@ Frogist

Well.. I had the ol' insultometer only turned up to about a 4... I've had it as high as 8, but people were complaining that their screens were flickering and that they got a tingling sensation through their keyboards when they tried to respond to me...

Truth be told, I think the readers here consider your naivete and blind acceptance far more concerning than my 'rants.' It might be time for you to consider... just in case... that the counter point of your argument might have some validity. Witness Northern Europe, and take the viewpoint of a good atheist... believe what you see.

December 9, 2010 at 8:44 pm |
    • Frogist

@.308:
      Well how nice of you to keep it to a 4. Does your insultometer go up to 11?
      Truth be told the only reader concerned about my position is you. Have you imagined others just as you have imagined the claims in your post?
      Religious fundie or atheistic one? It doesn't matter to me so much as accuracy and relevance in your posts. Yours lack both. You want me to believe what I see, yet like a conservative talk show host, you have given me nothing to view. No one has, as a matter of fact, given me anything to view discrediting the Imam or Park 51. Instead you resort to insult which tells me you have no factual information to provide. Faced with a lack of facts, tell me, what's a "good atheist" to do?

December 10, 2010 at 1:25 pm |
    • .308

@ Frogist

I said: " take the viewpoint of a good atheist... believe what you see." I specifically referenced Northern Europe, and you responded: "Faced with a lack of facts, tell me, what's a "good atheist" to do?" Given that logic, the fitting answer would be "look away at something you don't want to see."

Google "Imam Rauf + distrust" Then, "failure to as-similate" The "evidence" you require is so consp-icuous as to dare you to ignore it. But somehow I'm sure you'll not disappoint. Sometimes, Frogist, it's good not to accept things at face value. Life is complex; replete with hidden agendas and deception. Your preference to dismiss critical reasoning in favor of deflection and obfuscation is your choice, however poor.

My questions to the Imam beginning with "So, tell me.. all kidding aside.. " stand. Finally, should they build it? Sure, but without my tax dollars, and then only if they can find qualified labor willing to work on it. It's legal, but not proper – and my guess is that it will only serve as a stick in the eye of the non-Muslim public, despite Rauf's stated intentions to the contrary.

December 11, 2010 at 8:41 am |
  11. Muneef

Nooh sura 71
    In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful
    He said: My Lord! Lo! I have called unto my people night and day (5) But all my calling doth but add to their repugnance; (6) And lo! whenever I call unto them that Thou mayst pardon them they thrust their fingers in their ears and cover themselves with their garments and persist (in their refusal) and magnify themselves in pride. (7) And lo! I have called unto them aloud, (8) And lo! I have made public proclamation unto them, and I have appealed to them in private. (9) And I have said: Seek pardon of your Lord. Lo! He was ever Forgiving. (10) He will let loose the sky for you in plenteous rain, (11) And will help you with wealth and sons, and will assign unto you Gardens and will assign unto you rivers. (12) What aileth you that ye hope not toward Allah for dignity (13) When He created you by (divers) stages? (14) See ye not how Allah hath created seven heavens in harmony, (15) And hath made the moon a light therein, and made the sun a lamp? (16) And Allah hath caused you to grow as a growth from the earth, (17) And afterward He maketh you return thereto, and He will bring you forth again, a (new) forthbringing. (18) And Allah hath made the earth a wide expanse for you (19) That ye may thread the valley-ways thereof. (20) Noah said: My Lord! Lo! they have disobeyed me and followed one whose wealth and children increase him in naught save ruin; (21) And they have plotted a mighty plot, (22).v

December 9, 2010 at 6:35 am |
    • Reality

Saving Muslims is quite easy!!!

The Five Steps To Deprogram 1400 Years of Islamic Myths:

( –The Steps take less than two minutes to finish- simply amazing, two minutes to bring peace and rationality to over one billion lost souls- Priceless!!!)

Are you ready?

Using "The 77 Branches of Islamic "faith" a collection compiled by Imam Bayhaqi as a starting point. In it, he explains the essential virtues that reflect true "faith" (iman) through related Qur’anic verses and Prophetic sayings." i.e. a nice summary of the Koran and Islamic beliefs.

"1. Belief in Allah"

aka as God, Yahweh, Zeus, Jehovah, Mother Nature, etc. should be added to your cleansing neurons.

"2. To believe that everything other than Allah was non-existent. Thereafter, Allah Most High created these things and subsequently they came into existence."

Evolution and the Big Bang or the "Gi-b G-nab" (when the universe starts to recycle) are more plausible and the "akas" for Allah should be included if you continue to be a "crea-tionist".

"3. To believe in the existence of angels."

A major item for neuron cleansing. Angels/de-vils are the mythical creations of ancient civilizations, e.g. Hitt-ites, to explain/define natural events, contacts with their gods, big birds, sudden winds, protectors during the dark nights, etc. No "pretty/ug-ly wingy thingies" ever visited or talked to Mohammed, Jesus, Mary or Joseph or Joe Smith. Today we would classify angels as f–airies and "tin–ker be-lls". Modern de-vils are classified as the de-mons of the de-mented.

"4. To believe that all the heavenly books that were sent to the different prophets are true. However, apart from the Quran, all other books are not valid anymore."

Another major item to delete. There are no books written in the spirit state of Heaven (if there is one) just as there are no angels to write/publish/distribute them. The Koran, OT, NT etc. are simply books written by humans for humans.

Prophets were invented by ancient scribes typically to keep the un-educated masses in line. Today we call them for-tune tellers.

Prophecies are also invali-dated by the natural/God/Allah gifts of Free Will and Future.

"5. To believe that all the prophets are true. However, we are commanded to follow the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) alone."

Mohammed spent thirty days "fasting" (the Ramadan legend) in a hot cave before his first contact with Allah aka God etc. via a "pretty wingy thingy". Common sense demands a neuron deletion of #5. #5 is also the major source of Islamic vi-olence i.e. turning Mohammed's "fast, hunger-driven" hallu-cinations into horrible reality for unbelievers.

Walk these Five Steps and we guarantee a complete recovery from your Islamic ways!!!!

December 9, 2010 at 10:33 am |
  12. Muneef

In the name of Allah, the Most-Merciful, the All-Compassionate
    "May the Peace and Blessings of Allah be Upon You"
    Praise be to Allaah, we seek His help and His forgiveness. We seek refuge with Allaah from the evil of our own souls and from our bad deeds. Whomsoever Allaah guides will never be led astray, and whomsoever Allaah leaves astray, no one can guide. I bear witness that there is no god but Allaah, and I bear witness that Muhammad is His slave and Messenger.

December 9, 2010 at 5:47 am |
  13. Muneef

The leaders of religions were the ones that created and made enemies among believers of all faiths and now when some of the extremes took advantage to generate wars branded as terrorism,they now come to say;
    " "We must retake the discourse among religions and cultures from the hands of the extremists around the world who benefit from hatred and violence," Rauf said in the statement. "We must stop this downward spiral of hatred, mistrust and misunderstanding if our world is to have a peaceful future."

So where were they all those years from taking such giant step to bring people together respecting each others beliefs??

December 9, 2010 at 5:44 am |
    • Reality

Examples of Islamic "respect":

1a) 179 killed in Mumbai/Bombay, 290 injured

1b) Assassination of Benazir Bhutto and Theo Van Gogh

2) 9/11, 3000 mostly US citizens, 1000’s injured

3) The 24/7 Sunni-Shiite centuries-old blood feud currently being carried out in Iraq, US Troops killed in action, 3,481 and 924 died in non-combat98,691 – 107,707
      Iraqi civilians killed as of 11/9/2010, http://www.iraqbodycount.org/ and
      .defenselink.mil/news/casualty.pdf

4) Kenya- In Nairobi, about 212 people were killed and an estimated 4000 injured; in Dar es Salaam, the attack killed at least 11 and wounded 85.[2]

5) Bali-in 2002-killing 202 people, 164 of whom were foreign nationals, and 38 Indonesian citizens. A further 209 people were injured.

6) Bali in 2005- Twenty people were killed, and 129 people were injured by three bombers who killed themselves in the attacks.

7) Spain in 2004- killing 191 people and wounding 2,050.

8. UK in 2005- The bombings killed 52 commuters and the four radical Islamic suicide bombers, injured 700.

9) The execution of an eloping couple in Afghanistan on 04/15/2009 by the Taliban.

10) – Ope Afghanistan: US troops 1,116 killed in action, 902 killed in non-combat situations as of 08/10/2010. Over 40,000 Afghan civilians killed due to the dark-age, koranic-driven Taliban acts of horror

11) The killing of 13 citizen soldiers at Ft. Hood by a follower of the koran.

12) 38 Russian citizens killed on March 29, 2010 by Muslim women suicide bombers.

13) The May 28, 2010 attack on a Islamic religious minority in Pakistan, which have left 98 dead,

14) Lockerbie is known internationally as the site where, on 21 December 1988, the wreckage of Pan Am Flight 103 crashed as a result of a terrorist bomb. In the United Kingdom the event is referred to as the Lockerbie disaster, the Lockerbie bombing, or simply Lockerbie. Eleven townspeople were killed in Sherwood Crescent, where the plane's wings and fuel tanks plummeted in a fiery explosion, destroying several houses and leaving a huge crater, with debris causing damage to a number of buildings nearby. The 270 fatalities (259 on the plane, 11 in Lockerbie) were citizens of 21 nations.

15) Followed by the daily suicide and/or roadside and/or mosque bombings every day in the terror world of Islam.

16) Bombs sent from Yemen by followers of the koran which fortunately were discovered before the bombs were detonated.

17) The killing of 58 Christians in a Catholic church in one of the latest acts of horror and terror in Iraq.

December 9, 2010 at 7:21 am |
  14. .308

" It is unclear how the initiative will work to accomplish that goal."

HAR HAR HAR....!!

I've got your "initiative" right... Here!

December 8, 2010 at 6:13 pm |
  15. Iqbal khan

Why they are Reverting (converting) to Islam:

December 8, 2010 at 5:25 pm |
    • Reality

The number of global Muslims indeed is 1.5 billion basically because of the very high birth rate in Islam.
      According to official surveys, "the disapproval of family planning is highest among Muslims", while "the practice of family planning methods in 1980 was lowest amongst Muslims (only 23% of those surveyed practised it as opposed to 36% Hindus)".[1] They further admit that between 1971 and 1981, "the Hindu population was up by 24.15%, whereas the Muslim population shot up by 30.59%".

Once the bowers to Mecca, however, see that they have been conned by the "angelic" hallucinations of a long-dead, warmongering, womanizing (11 wives) Arab, these 1.5 billion lost souls will quickly become secularists, agnostics or atheists and a semblance a global peace will spread across the globe.

And then there is this:

"John Hick, a noted British philosopher of religion, estimates that 95 percent of the people of the world owe their religious affiliation to an accident of birth. The faith of the vast majority of believers depends upon where they were born and when. Those born in Saudi Arabia will almost certainly be Moslems, and those born and raised in India will for the most part be Hindus. Nevertheless, the religion of millions of people can sometimes change abruptly in the face of major political and social upheavals. In the middle of the sixth century ce, virtually all the people of the Near East and Northern Africa, including Turkey, Syria, Iraq, and Egypt were Christian. By the end of the following century, the people in these lands were largely Moslem, as a result of the militant spread of Islam." – J. Somerville

December 8, 2010 at 11:52 pm |
  16. Iqbal khan

Want to learn more about islam check....

December 8, 2010 at 5:23 pm |
    • Reality

Learn about Islam:

1a) 179 killed in Mumbai/Bombay, 290 injured

1b) Assassination of Benazir Bhutto and Theo Van Gogh

2) 9/11, 3000 mostly US citizens, 1000’s injured

Iraqi civilians killed as of 11/9/2010, http://www.iraqbodycount.org/ and
      defenselink.mil/news/casualty.pdf

7) Spain in 2004- killing 191 people and wounding 2,050.

10) – Afghanistan: US troops 1,116 killed in action, 902 killed in non-combat situations as of 08/10/2010. Over 40,000 Afghan civilians killed due to the dark-age, koranic-driven Taliban acts of horror

11) The killing of 13 citizen soldiers at Ft. Hood by a follower of the koran.

December 9, 2010 at 7:19 am |
  17. Bob

> If what you say is true then you are going about it the wrong way. The terrorists see this as a victory mosque. The American people recognize that the terrorists will see this as a victory mosque and don’t want them to have it.

Tough. The const-itution should not be co-mpromised simply because we don't want ig-norant losers in an impove-rished nation to gloat. I think you have your priorities backwards.

December 8, 2010 at 4:17 pm |
  18. Sumerian Dude

"The Islam that I have studied all my life, the Islam that I preach, is all about worshipping God and loving your neighbor," Rauf said. "The same core values are common to all the world's cultures and faith traditions. These are the same values of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness on which the United States was founded."

What a complete crock of bullshlt. The "Islam" that he says he has "studied" all his life must be a completely new one I have never heard of before....or he's just lying. Yeah, I think he's full of it. And I, too, would have "scheduling conflicts" if someone wanted me to be in the same proximity as this tool of others who are not willing to come into the light.

December 8, 2010 at 4:05 pm |
    • Frogist

@Sumerian Dude: I choose to recognise that this man has worked towards peaceful coexistence between his religion and judaism and christianity. To deny him that because you dislike religion is mistaken. He has shown absolutely no stomach for violence, and has condemned the acts of terrorists on 9/11. You may deny it all you like but he has support from leaders and members across multiple religious and secular positions. And to me that is more significant an endorsement than all those who just don't like him because of their prejudices against islam or who feign insult because he has decided to construct a building not far enough away from what they falsely consider their property.

December 9, 2010 at 10:08 am |
    • Sum Dude

@Frogist
      Oh, I'm not saying he can't build whatever he wants according to the law, I just don't believe much of what he says.
      I am free to avoid his wonderful proximity if I can...so I do. He might very well turn out to be a wonderful person, that fine.
      But in the meantime, I'll wait for the WikiLeaks version of what he is, etc. He's been working with our State Dept., you know...

December 9, 2010 at 6:18 pm |
    • Frogist

@Sum Dude: :You're a WikiLeaks spy?! eep!

I just don't really understand the amount of mistrust this guy is getting based on... well... nothing. I can appreciate the "wait-and-see" att!tude that some people have, but I see no reason to malign the man while they're waiting.
      I have no issue with his credentials. And I think his center will have benefits for Manhattan and the country at large.

BTW apropos of nothing... why were you "Sumerian Dude" earlier?

December 9, 2010 at 7:00 pm |
  19. Reality

Recognizing the flaws, follies and frauds in the foundations of Islam, Judaism and Christianity by the "bowers", kneelers" and "pew peasants" will quickly converge these religions into some simple rules of life. No koran, bible, clerics, nuns, monks, imams, evangelicals, ayatollahs, rabbis, professors of religion or priests needed or desired. Ditto for houses of "worthless worship" aka mosques, churches, basilicas, cathedrals, temples and synagogues

December 8, 2010 at 4:04 pm |
  20. >:

If what you say is true then you are going about it the wrong way. The terrorists see this as a victory mosque. The American people recognize that the terrorists will see this as a victory mosque and don’t want them to have it. Even though you are intending a different message, you are saying that you don’t care what the American people hold sacred. If you can’t recognize this then you are either ignorant of full of it. This is counter productive to the cause you claim. I’m starting to think that you are trying to rub our own system in our faces, or trying to get us to bomb or refuse its' being built so we look bad to the rest of the world. It is within your rights to do build whatever you want, but building it is still a slap in our face that will make Islam even harder to digest for Americans’.

This is not a religious fight for me. I am an atheist who is not worried about Islam taking over in America. The Christians here are way to controlling for that to happen.

Quit being D-bags

December 8, 2010 at 3:50 pm |
    • Frogist

@>:
      Really, are we going with the terrorists will think something so we shouldn't uphold our const!tution? Isn't that bowing to the terrorists? I honestly hope the Imam "rubs our system in our faces" as you put it, because people need to learn about what our system is and how it works. The day we toss away the hundreds of years our system has served us because of some alledgedly hurt feelings, is the day the terrorists have truly won.

December 9, 2010 at 9:52 am |