home
RSS
December 13th, 2010

Sarah Palin visits Haiti with Christian group

Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin was in Haiti on Sunday, urging the U.S government and other Americans to do more to help the earthquake-ravaged country.

"Not to get political, but if some of the politicians would come here and see the conditions perhaps they would see the need for, say, a military airlift to bring the supplies that are so needed here," she said.

Palin spoke at a brief press conference at a warehouse owned by the Samaritan's Purse organization north of Port-au-Prince.

Read the full story on CNN.com/politics.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Charity • Christianity • Politics • Sarah Palin

1. NL

Bruce- The lawyer in your analogy may win the case, but he didn't prove his case under the law, right? That, my friend, is the difference between getting elected and being a good president. Palin could get elected, but that has nothing to do with her actually being a good choice for office, right?

December 14, 2010 at 2:46 pm |
  2. Bruce

NL,

A Lawyer told me once that a good attorney knows the law and can create great arguments but a great attorney knows the judge. Sarah may do better with the latter. I think a person would have to meet her personally to know what she is really thinking. No politician will ever tell the public exactly what they are thinking. Remeber the battle charge of the Democrates, "Change we can Believe in"? It doesn't sound so good now after knowing what Obama was really thinking.

December 14, 2010 at 11:58 am |
  3. Honest Question

Why do people hate Palin so much? Please only reply with real answers.

December 14, 2010 at 9:37 am |
    • NL

Maybe because she comes off as anything but genuine?

Maybe I missed part of it, but when she went hunting on her show and used a rifle that she hadn't tried before, it just struck me that she was a poser. Nobody I know goes into the wilderness with any piece of equipment that they haven't personally checked out first. That's the kind of greenhorn mistake that ruins a whole trip, and could get you killed. My spidey sense (or the Holy Spirit, if you believe in such a thing) just tells me she is posing as this all-American, down home, outdoorsy girl.

December 14, 2010 at 10:18 am |

Honest Question,

I like her and think she would make a great president. The only thing that is in contrast is her mix of morals and politics. She needs to down play the political statements and talk out the details. She would do better if she did like Ross Perot who used facts and figures for us to see.

December 14, 2010 at 10:33 am |
    • NL

Bruce-
      Honest answer now, do you think she could talk details and use reasoned argument? I ask because, if she really can step outside the folksy and talk real brass tacks I would seriously wonder why she hasn't done that yet, wouldn't you?

December 14, 2010 at 11:34 am |

NL,

Good point. I do not think many could do that in the position of President anyway. All they have to be able to do is put together a cabinet that could. If we elected dictators to rule us I would agree with you. It is the counselors who make or break a President of the United States like the recent elections have proven.

December 14, 2010 at 11:52 am |
    • NL

Bruce-
      No, I think most Americans want a strong leader as president, and that includes not only knowing the issues, but also understanding the issues by knowing the facts behind the them as well.

"It is the counselors who make or break a President of the United States like the recent elections have proven."
      Like Dick Cheney pulling Bush's strings? Not my idea of strong leadership, sorry.

Seriously, I think her real appeal is to those folks out there who have dreamt of becoming president, but without all the hard work or talent involved.

December 14, 2010 at 2:42 pm |
  4. Mark from Middle River

"Nothing you do means a darn thing anymore!"

This is amazing. Its like someone earlier said, no matter what she does some folks are going to hate her and some are going to like her but come on guys. It is a big leap to dislike her for going to a place like Hatti. I remember it was after, I think Hatti, that Obama sent both Clinton and G H.Bush together to show American support.

If Obama can see past the "R" at the end of folks names then some of you on the left need to grow up and get past it. Its like that John Stewart sign, "I do not think you are Hitler I just just disagree with you"

December 14, 2010 at 1:45 am |
  5. Marie MD

wow! she does look old without all that makeup doesn't she? This is the real botoxed aging ex beauty queen.
    Go back to AK and hibernate for the rest of your life!

December 13, 2010 at 10:27 pm |

Marie MD,

Envy is the devil's emotion. Unlike jealousy, envy would rather stain the individual than be in the individuals place. Sad comment toward anyone Marie.

December 14, 2010 at 8:42 am |
    • Frogist

@Marie MD: I think she looks pretty good. I also think that's why people like her. She's cute and coy. And manipulates people with her feminine parody.

December 14, 2010 at 1:33 pm |
    • Maybe

@Frogist,

Yes, she is very attractive; and she is pert, perky, enthusiastic, energetic and affable. She is a cheerleader... which is fine, in its place; but that place is not at the head of government. I really don't see in her the brain power or wisdom to make life-changing decisions for all of us.

December 14, 2010 at 2:02 pm |
  6. zaphod2000

Imagine that the devil pat robertson spoke about going to Haiti with a christian group. That is more news than the mayor of wasilla trying to pretend she cares for anything except a few photo ops.
    BTW quitter, it ain't going to work. Nothing you do means a darn thing anymore! You are a second rate loser.

December 13, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
  7. Gary

Move all Hatians to Alaska ....

December 13, 2010 at 8:37 pm |
    • Bruce

No, just the corrupt politicians and officials of Haiti. Let'em cool off with a bear.

December 14, 2010 at 8:15 am |
  8. greg

Isn't she the one that is against gov funded Medicare in her own country? Military handout? Doesn't sound like capitalism to me.

December 13, 2010 at 8:21 pm |
    • Frogist

@greg: She and her t-p-ers are against any govt intervention. And they are especially against govt-aided foreign charity work. Of course, that's only true when it benefits her. When she wants to "score points" against those not of her party, she can ignore her "principles" like any good hypocrite.

December 14, 2010 at 1:27 pm |
  9. Liza

I find it annoying that we even have to know she is there. Why is this news? Why did she say that the U.S. should do more to support Haiti? That is an easy statement. I can't figure out why anything she does is news because she doesn't actually do anything.

December 13, 2010 at 6:20 pm |
    • NL

She's news the same way Angelina Jolie visiting Haiti would be news. We love our media celebrities.

December 13, 2010 at 6:43 pm |
  10. TJG

Sarah Palin shouldn't be addressed as "GOVERNOR". She is no longer governor, and when she was governor for a rather brief period of time, she QUIT.

December 13, 2010 at 5:00 pm |
  11. Bruce

Nice talking to you. My work is done for the day.

December 13, 2010 at 4:57 pm |
    • Jack L

Another lazy worker cheating his boss when he was supposed to be working. I see em all the time all over the internets.

December 13, 2010 at 11:30 pm |
  12. Bruce

Though Sarah may come across in the political arena a little simple, she did monitor and call out the one's who were misusing their power in politics in Alaska. If that was all she did as President it would shake up the whole political climate in Washington and there really would be some global warming. The American political agenda has gotten out of hand and we need a Sarah Palin type in office to clean and oil some top guns.

December 13, 2010 at 3:19 pm |
    • Let Us Prey

@ Bruce

Bullcrap. She's just another party minion, appointed by, funded by, and in the service of Big Gas & Oil and their respective partisan cronies. Palin is simply a "chosen one" who screwed up, got caught in ethics, misuse and back-tax problems and made a premature exit from government service before her "star" was too tarnished for her to become profitable.

The woman is a garden-variety opportunist political hack. Anyone who sees her differently is being made an ass of.

December 13, 2010 at 5:59 pm |
    • Marie MD

@bruce – go back on your meds. This woman can't keep her house in order and is gong to rule the world? I see another daughter or two unwed and pregnant. Let's not forget stupid because those kids of hers don't go to school either.

December 13, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
    • Jack L

I think Bruce has the hots for Sarah – he has a gun he wants cleaned and oiled I'll bet.

December 13, 2010 at 11:29 pm |

Let Us Prey,

"Sarah Palin type"....if you know what I mean. Someone to clean up politics in Washington. It doesn't necessarily have to be THE Sarah Palin but a type of Sarah Palin. You know, someone, be it man or woman, to clean up Washington from the inside and possibly form the top like Sarah Palin did in Alaska. Just a TYPE of a person like Sarah Palin. Type Type Type that's all. Just a type of Sarah Palin.........................

December 14, 2010 at 8:02 am |
    • Why Can't I Stop Laughing ?!?!?!

The woman is a raving, inept loon. Loon, I say. If she thinks that she is actually 'competent' for higher office, then she is clinically schizophrenic to boot.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrzXLYA_e6E&fs=1&hl=en_US]

December 14, 2010 at 11:38 am |
    • Bruce

Why Can't I Stop Laughing ?!?!?!

I don't understand how the majority of people who are on the same popularity level as Palin, whether smart or not, have reached that height, but they did and you and I cannot condemn them for reaching so many people in their lifetime. I wish I could do that.

December 14, 2010 at 11:46 am |
    • Let Us Prey

" you and I cannot condemn them for reaching so many people "

You may not choose to... but I sure as hell can. Not only do I condemn Palin, I condemn her imbecilic followers for being so easily swayed by her charmingly awkward persona rather than by her glaring lack of substance.

December 14, 2010 at 12:09 pm |
    • Let Us Prey

And I wouldn't want her 'type' anywhere near anything of importance that might impact me or mine. She needs to stay in the Alaskan wilderness... best place for her.

December 14, 2010 at 12:16 pm |
    • Frogist

@Bruce: I've never heard of Sarah doing anything in terms of what you posted. I've done a search but can't find what you're asserting. Please provide a link. I'd like to give it a read.

December 14, 2010 at 1:30 pm |

Frogist,

You may not agree with the things she supports and that may be why you see her differently.

December 14, 2010 at 1:49 pm |
  13. Reality

Tis all about money!

e.g. Mr. Graham makes over $800,000 yr. His "retired" Daddy, $400,000 yr. Obviously, neither has taken a vow of poverty. Ditto of S. Palin.

December 13, 2010 at 2:38 pm |

Reality,

Please post your resource for the money. That is hard to believe since I am familiar with their finances and what they spend their money on.

December 13, 2010 at 3:20 pm |
    • Reality

http://www.guidestar.org and make sure you access all of the Graham "non-profits".

December 13, 2010 at 3:29 pm |
    • Mike, not me

I would but they want me to register and then sign up for "Premium", and you criticize other organizations.

Using their own doc-ument they give out 89 cents to the dollar, What's the issue again?

December 13, 2010 at 3:43 pm |

Reality,

By the way, protestants do not make a vow of poverty. I think Catholics and some other religions do. It isn't required in the Bible, though. Hopefully, both of the Grahams are using their personal money the way their lives display that they would. Your comment left the idea that having that much money is sinful on their part and I do not think these men have ever left the impression that they would slight anyone of anything. There will always be Pharisees that find something wrong. They were always pointing at something they though Jesus was doing wrong, too.

December 13, 2010 at 3:51 pm |
    • Reality

guidestar.org's access to a "non-profit's" IRS Form 990 only requires a free registration and pa-ssword just as do most information web sites. With the Premium version for which there is charge, you get ac-cess to other details about "non-profit" groups. Most of this latter information can be obtained free of charge via a web search.

For the latest salary issues with the Grahams see:

December 13, 2010 at 4:21 pm |
    • Mike, not me

Cleveland link not working... still don't understand the point of giving out 272 million as a "bad" thing.

December 14, 2010 at 8:27 am |
    • Reality

An excerpt:

"CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Concerns about his rising financial compensation during tough economic times have prompted evangelist Franklin Graham to temporarily give up future contributions to his retirement plans at the two Christian charities he leads.

As president of the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association and Samaritan's Purse, he receives two full-time salaries and two retirement packages. Last year his total compensation from the two Christian ministries was $1.2 million.

The size of Graham's total 2008 compensation - $535,000 from Samaritan's Purse and $669,000 from Charlotte, N.C.-based BGEA - drew questions from nonprofit experts. They doubted that one person - even the energetic, globe-trotting Graham - can do two full-time jobs when those positions are head of organizations that employ hundreds and spend hundreds of millions around the world.

As head of the Boone, N.C.-based Samaritan's Purse, Graham earned more last year than any other leader of an international relief agency based in the United States. That includes eight with larger budgets, according to data compiled by Guidestar, a group that monitors non-profits.

December 15, 2010 at 12:01 am |
  14. Margaret

Sarah Palin is so dumb! Her comment after seeing the poverty of Haiti, all the starving, homeless and ill people, she said: "I have seen the absolute joy in the face of these people." She went to the hospitals for the dying cholera people , and instead of visiting or talking with them, Bristol, Sarah and Greta were seen laughing like they were at a party.

Rather than focussing on getting aid for the poor people of Haiti, Sarah Palin is furious that the media printed a picture of her getting her hair fixed by Bristol prior to the photo op. Get over it, Sarah. Stop your whining and focus on something beside yourself.

December 13, 2010 at 2:00 pm |
    • Frogist

@Margaret: Do you have a link to that? Or are you just messing with me?

December 13, 2010 at 4:24 pm |
  15. HotAirAce

Time articel on Silly Sarah's visit – http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,2036626,00.html.

December 13, 2010 at 1:42 pm |
    • Let Us Prey

@ HAA

What did I tell you in the first 'Palin goes to Haiti' story... Gone in two days. OK, well then less than 48 hours. Actually, I'm surprised that she even got off of the plane.

December 13, 2010 at 1:55 pm |
    • Frogist

@ HotAirAce: Love this bit. 'She "asked a lot of questions." Most of them began with why: Why doesn't Haiti have proper sanitation? Why doesn't it have proper infrastructure?' I guess that 30 pg booklet she read didn't answer those questions fully. Is it really too much to ask that before you get to a country, you learn a bit about the place?

December 13, 2010 at 4:19 pm |
    • Marie MD

time magazine is the new pnn (just to be cnn) in print. We cancelled the subscription we have had for years. Enough stories about this bimbo and whatever plans she has. She will never get farther than she has and it seems, from posts, that people have just had about enough of her.

December 13, 2010 at 10:30 pm |
  16. Slee

Those poor people have been through enough, get the hillbilly Palin out of there.

December 13, 2010 at 1:40 pm |
  17. Dobbs

Just when Haiti thought it had suffered every disaster imaginable, former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin decided to visit.
    In the disaster-torn nation’s capital, a leading government minister warned citizens to “prepare for the worst.”
    “We have suffered earthquakes, flooding, and disease,” said Minister of Disaster Jean-Claude Mansaray. “But it remains to be seen whether we can withstand a disaster of Sarah Palin’s magnitude.”

Across Haiti, citizens prepared themselves for the possible devastation Palin might cause, especially to their language and syntax.

“We have seen what she has done to English, and fear that she could do the same to French,” Minister Mansaray said.

Upon her arrival, Gov. Palin seemed to get off on the wrong foot by repeatedly pronouncing the name of the country “Hades.”

Minister Mansaray said that he and his countrymen were fearing the worst, but hoping for the best: “Our only hope is that she does what she did in Alaska: leaves early."

December 13, 2010 at 1:05 pm |
    • HotAirAce

Here's another Silly Sarah Story: http://www.borowitzreport.com/2010/12/05/wikileaks-attempts-to-expose-palins-thoughts-finds-nothing/

December 13, 2010 at 1:59 pm |
  18. Bruce

By the way, where are the Muslims, Buddist and the Atheist? Doesn't the media know they need camera time, too?

December 13, 2010 at 12:57 pm |
    • ScottK

By the way, when an athiest goes and helps out in a disaster area they don't get in front of the camera's announcing that they are athiest and trying to get media attention. They go there and work hard for people in need. No need for a photo op if your not trying to sell anything. Sarah and the rest of those who spend all their time walking around in the spotlight are just selling themselves hoping to garner votes or donations someday from those voters/doners who prefer the humanitarian Palin to the hunter Palin image, neither of which are anywhere near honest.

December 13, 2010 at 2:54 pm |

ScottK,

So I guess ya'll use billboards with a nativity scene in New York to get your message out. By the way, Reason without Belief isn't reason at all. Therefore, atheist have become a religion and their god is themselves. That is a fact, not a put down.

December 13, 2010 at 3:24 pm |
    • Maybe

Bruce,

Aren't you your own god too?... if you consider an non-believer's goal or philosophy of life to be a "god". You worship this imaginary supernatural being so that YOU can have eternal happiness... that is your ultimate goal; and it is every bit as self-centered as anything that non-believers regard as important or useful.

December 13, 2010 at 3:49 pm |

Maybe,

It is just that I do not consider what I believe in as "imaginary" like you think I do. I am saying that the person who uses their own reason to justify that God does not exist, they, in fact, have to believe that their own reason (or belief) is most superior that anything or anyone else, thus, making them supreme. Whoever is supreme is god.

I will receive eternal life but that isn't the purpose of a Christian's life. Their life is to glorify God. Whatever happens in their life that brings glory to God is their desire. That cannot be humanly reasoned, therefore, most of what I would say would not make sense to you. Just like nothing you say or will ever say will make sense to me. I don't mean that in a demeaning way. It is just the fact that our two thoughts exist in two different spheres and will never co-exist.

December 13, 2010 at 4:05 pm |
    • HotAirAce

@Bruce

Why make this (atheism) more complicated that it needs to be? It is simply the belief that god does not exist. I believe this because I have not seen anything, other than a book of tribal myths, to support the theory that god does exist. In other words, it's more about the absence of evidence for god than anything else. But do go on with your mumbo jumbo and circular logic that god exists and incorrect assertions that you know what atheists think.

December 13, 2010 at 4:30 pm |
    • Maybe

Bruce,

You said, "Their life is to glorify God. Whatever happens in their life that brings glory to God is their desire."

So, if there were no eternal life nor the need for other blessings/favors, you would still do this? More power to you, I suppose.

Actually, I do understand your position fairly well, since I was a pretty devout believer for many, many years. I discovered that there is no-one out there. I was talking to myself... and was conjuring the emotional responses that made it seem like there was a 'divine' being on the other end.

On the chance that there is a Prime Mover/First Cause, it is something whose properties/attributes we know nothing about... and maybe we never will.

December 13, 2010 at 4:44 pm |

HotAirAce,

Atheism is not complicated. It is just that saying Reason is why I am atheist makes it complicated. You cannot see nothing and use reason to explain it away. Assuming that Christians use a therory to come to their conclusion doesn't fit either. That is why I said what I said in the second paragraph. Our thoughts are water and oil.

December 13, 2010 at 4:54 pm |

Maybe,

When someone can go back to the big blob before the Big Bang and explain Who put it there we will all rest easier.

December 13, 2010 at 4:55 pm |
    • ScottK

@Bruce – putting the "Is there a God or not" issue aside, my point was that athiests are not trying to sell their brand of God to anyone, unlike virtually every other religion out there. The "billboard with a nativity scene" was not asking for money, just reason. Did some nutjobs spend money on it? Yes, they did, and got some tiny bit of exposure when compared to the advertising behemoth of organized religions daily tirade of non-stop faith for sale. Get your salvation here!! 25% off!! We'll wash all your sins away in the blood of our diety for 24 million easy payments of $19.95... its just nauseating.

December 13, 2010 at 5:52 pm |
    • NL

Bruce-
      Advertising outreach to other non-believers is not doing charity. When I do charity I'm there to work, not convert.

"religion |riˈlijən| noun the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, esp. a personal God or gods"

The only 'powers' we believe in are natural ones, so I have no idea where this whole "atheism is a religion" business comes from. As somebody here recently put it if atheism is a religion then "off" is a channel on the TV. Reason leads to the best conclusions based on what we know from the evidence at hand. Therefore it's just a matter of accepting what the evidence tells you is the reality, whereas rejecting what the evidence says in favor of an idea you are emotionally attached to is called delusion.

December 13, 2010 at 6:59 pm |

ScottK,

It seems that all of the non-Christian people out there point an accusing finger at the hypocrite. That is their whole basis of justification for what they say against Christianity. How foolish! The word hypocrite is simply defined as ACTOR. The hypocrite is not the genuine article by any stretch of the imagination. In fact, you would have to know the "Genuine Article" personally to have any viable proof that another person is a hypocrite. Putting all of your eggs in one basket based upon what a hypocrite does is the most foolish thing a person can do. Why look at the actor? Why look at the imposter? Why look at the fake? Why judge the genuine on one or many who simply make the claim that they are Christian? NO ONE DOES THIS ANYWHERE ELSE BUT AGAINST CHRISTIANITY! God will not accept that excuse! It wouldn't even stand up in a court of law anywhere on the face of the earth.

Jesus said of the hypocrite, "and will cut him in two and appoint him his portion with the hypocrites. There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth." Matthew 24:51 Why point at the hypocrite? They aren't even going to heaven. Anyone justifying themselve based upon what a hypocrite does or has done is the ultimate FOOL. That is like saying, "Well, I'm not as bad as Hitler."

December 14, 2010 at 7:37 am |

NL,

A further definition of religion is found in a religious book, the Bible. It says, "Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world." James 1:27

This, like you mentioned about yourself, is the way it should be done. I do not agree with the publicity but I do not condemn it totally. You see, much of the work in a place like Haiti is done through small groups. All of the helpers are made up of a variety of individules from a variety of lifestyles and backgrounds. Sometimes an actor, a politician or religious group that is well known has to use their influence to remind others of the need. Unfortunately, we seem to throw rocks at them and I have been one of them. Maybe we all should look at the children through all of the bad Haitian government, actors, politicians and religious groups and focus on the kids so they can be a kid for a while.

December 14, 2010 at 7:50 am |
    • NL

Bruce-
      It's still religion if it's done before God. Without God, it's not religion, and you're just helping out of the goodness of your heart. This flies in the face with this whole "I don't follow a religion, I have a personal relationship with Christ" notion. Believe in gods, then let that belief direct your life, and you are following a religion, even if it is one largely of your own creation. At best, atheists may follow philosophies, and there has been some effort put into trying to define humanism as an ethic, but usually it's only at a personal level.

December 14, 2010 at 9:55 am |
    • NL

Bruce-
      If Palin is in Haiti as an actor and celebrity she would be in line with folks like Jolie, Clooney and Penn, drumming up support and awareness like you mentioned. However, because she has political inclinations, some see her posing very much like a senior member of the government with this visit. That's where the accusations of self-interest that cannot be levelled at other celebrity humanitarians comes from

December 14, 2010 at 10:04 am |

NL,

I can truly see where you are coming from. I have a little bit of a struggle with "following a religion of my own creation" though since that would be what everyone would be doing including atheist and it should all be grouped into religion or non-religion. It would be all the same effort and conclusion we all take but in different directions. No one would be different except those who think they are right and try to distance themselves from everyone else that created their own thought.

For me, it wasn't the Creation story that made God real nor the Exodus or any other event. Even the story of Christ or the Revelation of His return. In fact, all of the stories of the Bible really didn't have an affect on my belief. It was something like what happened to Paul on the road to Demascus, but it was the small voice inside that convinced me otherwise. I instantly understood what it meant to place this faith in the finished work of Christ on the cross. From there, it was easy to believe everything from Genesis to The Revelation. It is for me and me alone. I just speak of it to all that will simply listen. I cannot bend an ear or twist an arm but many think I do. It is all about who God wants to reveal Himself to, I guess. It is not mine to force or influence, it is His and His alone. If you do not see into the kingdom where He is, I understand, I was there once and felt the same way you and others like you do. I enjoy the insanity of the argument, too.

December 14, 2010 at 10:27 am |
    • NL

Bruce-
      Still can't shake that "atheism is a religion" idea, eh? Well, maybe we can agree to call it having a "position on god?" That way you can have your position on God and I can have mine, and it can pretty much function as you say, OK?

I've wondered about Paul, and if the voice he heard on the roadside had anything to do with "the thorn in his side" that disrupted his thinking so. It'd be pretty ironic if both things were the result of a brain tumor, or something, eh? Imagine if all the Christians down through the ages were expecting an actual voice from God based upon the example of a man who was hallucinating? What a tragedy for us as a species if that were true.

I cannot bend any ears either but, like you, I can donate my spare time to these discussion boards in the hopes that people can come to understand atheist thinking better. That we are not the hedonistic, virtue deprived people without morals straw men that religious leaders make us out to be. I agree with you that the argument is really insane. Here we are in the twenty-first century and people still believe in gods. Madness indeed! 😉

December 14, 2010 at 2:28 pm |
  19. jmb2fly

Samaritan's Purse is a great organization!

December 13, 2010 at 12:20 pm |
    • NL

If you don't mind waiting through a half-hour saying of 'grace' before their workers hand out taxpayer provided aid.

December 13, 2010 at 12:30 pm |
  20. Sum Dude

I'll bet they are paying her to be there – she gives them so much more publicity than they would have otherwise.
    It's all about money. They could have gone there months ago without her. What a joke.

December 13, 2010 at 11:37 am |
    • Frogist

@Sum Dude: I think Samaritan's Purse has been in Haiti for the past few months. But I think Graham is only stopping by on this visit to drop off presents for his Christmas Child program which I think is about giving toys to the kids there.
      It is odd what Palin is doing. If it was about promoting relief efforts in Haiti, I wonder why she hasn't allowed any other reporters other than Fox with her. Seems like getting the word out by as many people as possible would be more helpful for the people of Haiti. That tells me this is more about self-promotion and controlling her image in the media than anything else. It's kind of sickening using these very needy people to prop up your poor image.

December 13, 2010 at 12:34 pm |
    • Maybe

In all fairness (and I'm not a Palin fan) if she made a big to-do about it she would be accused of doing it just for show; and if she keeps it low-key, she is accused of being secretive... another damned if you do, damned if you don't. I tend to think that she went to see for herself what is happening down there, and with that information will do the promoting of relief efforts post-visit.

December 13, 2010 at 12:53 pm |
    • Bruce

I don't think you responded to any of the Hollywood types that went down there for a photo op during the first few months. Of course, Sarah did go down there with other Christians during a cholera outbreak and no one else did. I think it best to comment with facts in lieu of the assumption that she was paid. Your comment speaks loudly of bias.

December 13, 2010 at 12:55 pm |
    • Sum Dude

@Bruce
      I said "I'll bet" – and I think that's a bet I would win, too!
      I didn't mention anyone else because I'm staying on-topic here.
      I freely scorn anyone who goes there for publicity, but this isn't about them, is it?
      If you have a problem with CNN, I suggest you take it up with them.

December 13, 2010 at 1:11 pm |

Summ,

Then you have a problem with Franklin Graham, too.

December 13, 2010 at 2:37 pm |
    • Sum Dude

@Bruce

Wow, you're really quick on the uptake there, Bruce. Your mind is almost like a steel trap.

December 13, 2010 at 3:28 pm |

Sum,

Kind of like yours about articles like this. Sarah may have been paid, i agree. She is a politician and is trying for the Presidency. Regarding the lesser of two evils, I prefer spending money on her than Obama spending tax money we don't have on Clinton trying to convince Dems to accept the tax deal he can't convince them to accept.

December 13, 2010 at 3:34 pm |
    • Frogist

@Maybe: If she was just going there as a look-see with her intention of doing good privately, why does she have Fox News in tow? She can't have it both ways. Either go there to help and bring no publicity because you're doing it to learn about the situation and help privately... Or bring the force of the media, which she has at her command, with her to show people what's going on? She's only bringing one news crew, the one in her pocket.

December 13, 2010 at 3:58 pm |
    • Maybe

@Frogist,

You could be, and probably are, correct. I am just such a 'Libra' that I have to look at all sides. She could have just used Fox for video-doc.umentation of her trip. I guess she could've just hired her own camera crew for that.... but I'll bet Fox didn't bill her for the service.

December 13, 2010 at 4:09 pm |
    • Frogist

@Maybe: Hey no problem at looking at both sides. I just find her so underhanded in the way she behaves. I do really hope she is doing good for those people. But it's hard to believe with her refusing to have any other media along.

December 13, 2010 at 5:53 pm |
    • ali

the only media who has the guts and the pride to do any thing decent is the one sarah took with her. she could have taken the rest of the idiots who went with Obama (all with thrills running up their collective thighs) to europe and fauned all over him. and the progressives all thought he would change the world. Keep up the good work all you closed minded liberals who cant see anything but bad in everything Sarah Palin does, even when she's trying to make the world a better place.

December 13, 2010 at 8:23 pm |
    • Shilohgl

@ Ali and all Palin supporters: She did what she did becuz she doesnt have any standing outside of America. She used the people of Haiti to show the world that "she cares". I mean the lady didnt get a passport until what 2008 or some nonsense like that. She couldnt give a rat's butt about what goes on outside of Alaska and the people there are sick of her as am I. I dont want a president that tries to flirt her way into the white house. How many times did she wink at the camera during the Bidden debate? I dont want a president that has to write notes on her hand about important issues. I dont want a president that refuses to answer tough questions from news stations whose name isnt Fox news. Can you imagine if Obama excluded Fox news from press conferences? What kind of press conference would Palin hold when its just Fox news asking questions from the list of questions and answers her "people" give them? I dont want my president twitting instead of running the country. Shouldnt she have more important things to do than updating us on her tv show? If she is elected President, Im moving to Canada.

December 14, 2010 at 6:31 am |

Shilohgl

Why do men politicians have to hug womem politicians? Politicians are suppose to be neutral in that area. Hugs mean something different and do not mix in politics unless it is a culture thing.

December 14, 2010 at 8:47 am |
    • Frogist

@ali: You're telling me that all the coverage on CNN and BBC and countless other news media isn't valid? Anderson Cooper's reporting from Haiti right after the earthquake hit was vital in letting people understand what was going on. Fox is there because they pay Palin's bills and she gives them ratings. She can count on them not actually doing any hard reporting. And they didn't even have the courage to ask any questions about what she saw or did. The only reporter who did ask a question was Gary Tuchman, a reporter from CNN.
      And as proof positive that she's a double talking hypocrite, she says she won't answer questions because she doesn't want to get political but proceeds to blame politicians for the conditions there.
      Sorry Ali, your eyes are blinded by your Palin worship.
      My only hope is after her publicity stunt she can't ignore what she's seen. It's hard to ignore abject suffering once you've actually been around those who live it.

December 14, 2010 at 1:09 pm |