home
RSS
“Christian famous” pastor quits his church, moves to Asia
December 22nd, 2010

“Christian famous” pastor quits his church, moves to Asia

By, Eric Marrapodi, CNN

He pastored a 4,000-member church in California. He was a sought-after speaker at major conferences, wrote two best-sellers and launched a DVD teaching series.

Then he abruptly resigned and left the country.

But in Francis Chan’s unexpected journey there apparently is no hidden scandal, no money trail, and no ‘other’ woman.

“I just want to disappear for a while,” he said in late September as he prepared to leave Cornerstone Community Church in Simi Valley, California for an undisclosed location in Asia.

Before selling his house and packing up his wife and three children, Chan was becoming “Christian famous” in Evangelical circles.

“Even in my own church I heard the words, ‘Francis Chan’ more than I heard the words, ‘Holy Spirit’,” he said.

That was a big part of the reason he walked away at the peak of his professional career.

“I think there has been too much emphasis on me. I want to be used by God, but I think we have this desire to make heroes out of people rather than following God and the Holy Spirit.”

He quotes the apostle Paul, who told his followers “I didn’t die for you.”

In his world of big conference crowds, multiple services each week, and instant access to social media, the notion of pastoral care had begun to change. His fame was straining his work as a pastor.

“When there is a large constituency, there’s a lot of voices,” he said. “It makes you arrogant or it makes you want to shoot yourself. When thousands of people tell you what they think, how can I be quick to listen, like the Bible says? I don’t want to be a jerk and tune everyone out. At the same time you, can’t love every single person and answer them.”

So after lots of prayer and soul searching, Chan decided it was best to leave the church, country, and Internet behind to focus on serving others one-on-one.

Chan’s rise in popularity began with the founding of Cornerstone Community Church in 1994. Like many independent churches in the United States, Cornerstone is not tied to a larger denomination. Chan reluctantly calls it an Evangelical church, but says “titles on churches don’t always match up. You walk in with assumptions.”

His first book, Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God, has hit the New York Times best seller list since he left for Asia. His second, The Forgotten God: Reversing our Tragic Neglect of the Holy Spirit, offers a glimpse into why he left.

“I was giving a lot of people just five minutes here and five minutes there,” he said in an interview, describing the book’s central theme. “I need to get better at just saying no to people and no to the crowds...Jesus worked a lot with individuals and his twelve [disciples].”

Two DVDs in his four-part teaching series, Basic, have been released, with more to come in March.

In Basic: Fear God, Chan says he doesn’t think we fear God enough. He appears starkly lit in front of a black backdrop to hammer home his metaphor, in which a woman tied to a bed watches as water slowly fills the bedroom. The water level rises until she is completely submersed and struggling to get free. Only then does panic set in.

If we were to meet God in person, Chan said, “I think the first thing He would say is you don’t take me seriously. You have no idea how to fear me.”

It is just one way Christians miss the point of the messages in the Bible, he said, a notion he aims to correct in the DVD series.

The New Testament, for instance, calls for a much greater commitment than many churches reveal when wooing new converts, he said. “We almost simplify it. We won’t tell people how painful it could be. It’s almost like joining the Marines and saying how fun it will be. Yet Jesus says, I’m worth it, I promise you I’m worth it.”

Chan was not drawing a salary at Cornerstone before he left, and never made more than $36,000 a year. “I wanted to make sure I wasn’t doing things just because I was paid to,” he said. Mike Steinwender, the current administrative pastor from the church, told CNN in an email that “There were/are no budget or financial health issues that led to Mr. Chan leaving.”

Chan’s departure from his 9 to 5 gig to pursue his passion is something many cubicle dwellers can only dream about. But not every pastor agrees with his choice.

Joshua Harris is the Senior Pastor at Covenant Life Church in Gaithersburg, Maryland. He skyrocketed to fame in Christian circles with his book in the 1990’s I Kissed Dating Goodbye, which influenced many young Christians to do the same.

Harris and Chan have spoken at length about Chan’s decision, and Harris knows first hand about the rigors of the being “Christian famous.”

“Gifted people often become more the focus than the gospel,” Harris said. “But you can’t build a church around a personality. You get up and you preach a sermon and people walk away thinking what a great guy - and that’s a failure as a pastor. Our job is to proclaim Christ.

He said he understood Chan felt God was leading him in a new direction. But he hopes there won’t be an exodus of pastors from their pulpits. “There’s a tendency to idolize one person’s choices. We have to say, ‘you know what, there are a lot of ways to see what faithfulness [to God’s calling] looks like.’ Not every pastor of a big church should leave.”

Chan has been traveling across Asia, according to his website, where his wife Lisa has posted periodic updates.

She wrote that the family has been to India and Thailand, visiting small churches and missionaries. In an October update, she mentioned Chan was preaching again: “Francis spoke a great message of encouragement to this little body of Christ hidden away in a slum in India . 100 years from now we will be worshiping together. We will look each other in the eye and KNOW that it was worth it."

Chan plans to return to the states in January. He is already scheduled to appear at the Passion Conference in Atlanta, which has drawn a crowd of more than 20,000 in the past, and do a stint in the chapel at the NBA All-Star game in February.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Asia • Belief • Books • California • Christianity • India • Pastors • United States

1. christrevolution

I'm surprise that they put Francis Chan on CNN. You usually just hear about the scandals but not about the true followers of Christ. Francis Chan is a great man of God. Not scared to preach the truth, not only preaching it but also living it. To anyone, I recommend you go to youtube and hear his preaching or read his books. God bless him, and I know God will be doing great things through him in Asia. 🙂

December 22, 2010 at 10:53 am |
  2. Mark

@Scott in Atlanta...

I hear you brother, and I thought the same thing. A LOT of comments about stories like this are from "Athiests" who constantly want to remind us that they're still not believing, just in case we forgot. If you truly don't beleive, then why do you spend so much time talking about God. I don't sit around constantly tell people I don't beleive in Santa Claus, or the Tooth Fairy, or the Easter Bunny.
    I don't beleive there is, or ever has been an "Athiest" in the strict sense of the word. The Bible point blank tells us that God created that sense inside of each one of us that there is truly a God. I believe there are a lot of people who are angry with God, and so therefore choose to be "Athiests". Kind of ironic isn't it? I'm mad at God, therefore I just won't believe in him anymore.

December 22, 2010 at 10:52 am |
    • Scott in Atlanta

Well put Mark... Well put.

December 22, 2010 at 10:57 am |
    • The earth is 6000 years old, stupid.

Mark, I dont believe in him, not because i am mad at him, but because god is gay. Thats right, a huge raging ho-mo. probably with a leather outfit. My god tells me to hate the gays. Unless you can disprove my god, then i am right and you are wrong. You are just mad at my god arn't you?

December 22, 2010 at 5:03 pm |
    • HotAirAce

@Mark

I am an atheist. I am not mad a god – god does not exist and it would be illogical to be mad at an imaginary being. You are 100% wrong!

Re: why I spend time here:1) I am *very" concerned that the religious right is working on making the USA a theocracy, so I use this blog as a way of keeping an eye on "the crazies" and 2) for entertainment, as I never cease to be amazed by the mental gymnastics believers will go to prop up prop up their "house of cards" tribal beliefs.

December 22, 2010 at 6:00 pm |
    • Risskia

Okies class. Spelling word check.

Athiest? NO! That would mean we were the most "athi"

Try ATHEIST. A = without or "non" Theist = one who believes in gods.

December 22, 2010 at 6:15 pm |
  3. hilarious

Ok if I got this right, he's living in a fantasy world and somehow slipped into an alternate sub-fantasy world from which he needs to escape to get back to the primary fantasy world? People are such idiots. There is... no.. god. Religion.. is.. a .. psycho-social phenomenon, nothing more. But by all means, please keep 'following' fairy tales people. Please do.

December 22, 2010 at 10:50 am |
    • tmichelle72

hiarious we'll see won't we! But what IF the "fantacy" is REAL. What then? I tell all non-believers this. All wise me do real research. Read the scriptures, attend a real God fearing church, indulge the "fantacy" for 6 months (honestly with an open mind). Then if you are not moved to believe, so be it. But until then you really can't comment on something you don't truly know or understand.

Be well and may your heart be changed not so you don't go to hell because honestly even believers will be damed, but God is amazing and the truest of all hells is not knowing Him.

December 22, 2010 at 11:07 am |
    • Risskia

@tmichelle72 – The OP spelled "fantasy" for you correctly – several times. You even got fancy little red squiggles when you misspelled it as you typed.

And you stilled managed to misspell it multiple times in your post?
      Brava! I'm impressed!

December 22, 2010 at 6:21 pm |
  4. TE

I only happened upon this conversation while turning on my computer and don't usually read them, but I did read some of the story about Frances Chan and mentally made a note of what my personal opinion was. And that is what I would suggest to ALL of you. Let it go and go to work. Surely some of you have jobs to occupy your time instead of bantering back and forth. As soon as I finish this sentence I'm going to work and will never look at this screen again, which means I will not dwell on the subject. Let it go.

December 22, 2010 at 10:48 am |
    • Scott in Atlanta

@TE Suuuuuuuuuure TE. You act like you're above the frey. But you're reading this reply right now, aren't you?. You keep checking back to see if anyone has replied to your comment. You're inflicted with the same disease of thirsting for someone to validate or value your opinion; or just plain care about what you have to say. But alas my friend, you've painted yourself into a corner because while you may want to refute my remarks, to do so would prove that you didn't just go back to work and never look at this page again...arrrrrrrrrrrrrrg... I know... I know... I don't like me too sometimes...lol

December 22, 2010 at 11:05 am |
    • Jebus Christ

That comment makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

December 22, 2010 at 4:53 pm |
  5. Mike

Maybe if more Christians got serious about promoting the Gospel, there would be less focus on "fame." The promoting of your home church, your favorite worship music, your favorite preacher, or your favorite Scripture isn't what being Christian is about. Jesus said we should follow Him. If we're making something else a priority over Him, perhaps it's time we realize we're the reason why non-Christians don't believe.

The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today is Christians who acknowledge Jesus with their lips, then walk out the door and deny him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply find unbelievable.

December 22, 2010 at 10:48 am |
    • hilarious

with all due respect. to participate AT ALL is delusional. stop so-called 'believing' and you're on the right track. religion and belief in god is childish.. even if if there is one. why? there is NO EVIDENCE for it, period. so, it's all FANTASY.

December 22, 2010 at 10:57 am |
    • CW

@ Mike,

I agree with you on one of your points...but first let me explain....Christians shouldn't be looked at as perfect little beings that walk the earth in Godly splendor with no problems such as lieing to others, stealing, or anything that God says is wrong. What I will say is this if a christian isn't living according to the word of God you are right God will expose it. That is what God does so that 1) he can correct the person by showing other christians who can help the person by speaking to them and encouraging them to do the right things. 2) So that we as christians can learn and know all the pitfalls that come with living a life that is to "die to self" if have you so that they will learn to be pure.

Now with that said you have to realize that Man....no matter who he is unless he is God still and will always sin.....christians aren't perfect. The clear race that all christians are in is to finish.....and live a life as best as they can as a christian. This is where reading the Bible everyday, praying..asking for forgiveness, and doing all you can as a christian to life according to God's perfect will.

Last point is this...we as christians do point out the sin of others...which has be called hate speech but in the gospels we are to encourage each other that means to help each other...and when something is sin.....no matter how one wants to spin things..A christian is to pray and tell the person in order to encourage them to get back on the right road.

December 22, 2010 at 11:01 am |
  6. Pastor Fred Rochester

Even the Paul said that "They the preach the gospel should live off the gospel" but Paul chose not to because he didn't want the gospel of Jesus Christ to be cheapened by gimmicks like today. To walk away from fame and fortune is the modern day version of the Pharisees and Sadducees "swallow a camel and strain at swallowing a gnat." That means when people give big they can woof it down. When people do not give as much, they try to clear their throats. All the other mega-church preachers should take notes. WHile his decision to take a break is not a one size fits all situation, it's about having the proper perspective and understanding the bottom line which is servanthood. It' s not about the man in the pulpit. It's about the Man, Jesus Christ, in the heart. Anything less and we might as well call in Ringling Brothers. The church is either for real, or it is a clown act.

December 22, 2010 at 10:44 am |
    • wmsJAX

Perhaps your comment shouldn't target "mega-churches" only. We tend to get "tunnel vision" and focus on everyone else without looking at ourselves. This message/article should be considered by all pastors of church including "mini" churches as well as their congregations. It seems churches have so much money tied up in their "own agenda" there's no money left to spend outside the 4 walls of the church to help in the community! We grow in self-righteousness inside the 4 walls but we're very ineffective in the community. God sure talked about helping the poor, widows and fatherless a lot. I'm not sure if my church helps anyone who's not a member! I sure hope so because I do!

December 22, 2010 at 2:40 pm |
  7. Reality

Luther, Calvin, Joe Smith, Henry VIII, Wesley, Roger Williams, the Great “Babs” et al, founders of Christian-based religions or combination religions also suffered from the belief in/hallucinations of "pretty wingie thingie" visits and "prophecies" for profits analogous to the myths of Catholicism (resurrections, apparitions, ascensions and immacu-late co-nceptions).

Current problems:

Adu-lterous preachers, "propheteering/ profiteering" evangelicals (Chan?) and atonement theology

December 22, 2010 at 10:43 am |
  8. Reality

Once a day WARNING for new commentators:–

• The moderators of this blog have set up a secret forbidden word filter which unfortunately not only will delete or put your comment in the dreaded "waiting for moderation" category but also will do the same to words having fragments of these words. For example, "t-it" is in the set but the filter will also pick up words like Hitt-ite, t-itle, beati-tude, practi-tioner and const-tution. Then there words like "an-al" thereby flagging words like an-alysis and "c-um" flagging acc-umulate or doc-ument. And there is also "r-a-pe", “a-pe” and “gra-pe”, "s-ex", and "hom-ose-xual". You would think that the moderators would have corrected this by now considering the number of times this has been commented on but they have not. To be safe, I typically add hyphens in any word that said filter might judge "of-fensive".

• More than one web address will also activate “waiting for moderation”. Make sure the web address does not have any forbidden word or fragment.

Sum Dude routinely updates the list of forbidden words/fragments.

Two of the most filtered words are those containing the fragments "t-it" and "c-um". To quickly check your comments for these fragments, click on "Edit" on the Tool Bar and then "Find" on the menu. Add a fragment (without hyphens) one at a time in the "Find" slot and the offending fragment will be highlighted in your comments before you hit the Post button. Hyphenate the fragment(s) and then hit Post. And remember more than one full web address will also gain a "Waiting for Moderation".

December 22, 2010 at 10:41 am |
  9. CW

@ all Atheist's and non-believers,

You know there are a lot of mean ill fated word on here from some atheists and non believers to which I say it is truly sad. It seems to me man has tried to explain away everything from evolution(which is a joke in itself) to the big bang theory....yet another joke. Anyway if all of you will look at the Bible instead of what man in his ill fated research says you will know just like Pastor Chan knows is that God put us here on earth to serve him. In serving him we live according to what God wants... serve each other in Love....If mankind would do this the world would be a better place to live until God does come back. As far as those who don't believe...I wonder where you do put your faith....in mankind?....you spouse?....your belief's?....Better yet let me ask....why don't you believe?.....how do you know God doesn't exist?....were you there when the Bible was written?....The reason I ask is that all of the nonbelievers seem to think the Bible is not the word of God....so....just trying to understand where this nonbelief comes from.

December 22, 2010 at 10:38 am |
    • SeanNJ

Sounds like slavery to me. I'll pass.

December 22, 2010 at 10:44 am |
    • Jebus Christ

Why dont you believe in Thor or any other deities? That is why I dont believe in Christianity. I dont put my faith in anything. Faith is a logical fail.-An epic one.

December 22, 2010 at 4:51 pm |
    • kirk

YOU DON'T PUT YOUR FAITH IN ANYTHING...???? Holy Cow...you talk about despising intellect. When you get at prescription filled....how do you know it is the real medicine your Doctor prescribed...do you know the person that actually filled it....were they qualified....maybe they made a mistake. I guess you will just have to "trust" them. Hmmmm..."trust" (pisteuo) the greek word for faith. Are you going to buy any meat at the grocery store today?? Hmmmmm...are you sure it is beef...how do you know...who cut it up...packaged it...was it inspected....how old is it...maybe it is dog....???? I guess you will just have to trust the store...by the way, who owns the store...do you know them personally...what kind of person are they...can they be "trusted"....hmmmmm I just wish those that say that they will never have faith in anything or anyone...that they will never "trust" anyone with their life or future for anything....I just wish they would be more honest intellectually.

December 22, 2010 at 5:09 pm |
  10. Ben

Did anyone else notice that Rene said a "good person" does not instill fear in another person....and then proceeded to try to instill a fear of francis chan into that guy?

December 22, 2010 at 10:36 am |
  11. m

I've heard Francis speak. He's a nice guy who really believes what he believes. Unfortunately he was abused by his father (tied to a tree) and has real father issues that he has translated into issues with god (who doesn't exist by the way). He definitely has esteem issues and is trying to earn gods love and favor, but at the same time says you don't have to do that. He seems genuinely confused, because the fundamental messages of the bible are confused (this is because the different books of the bible are written for different purposes and the gospels themselves are each designed to convince a different group of people who lived 2000 years ago that the message was true).

While I don't hold any offense to Francis, he is a great guy after all, his message is flawed in 2 respects, it is untrue from the outset, and his personal take is unbiblical.

December 22, 2010 at 10:34 am |
    • Steve the real one

M,

How do you know Chan's beliefs are unbiblical? Why are you as a non-believer so interested in his life story? You sound like a pop pycho-therapyst or something! I am glad at least you have heard him speak. The more you hear the Gospel, the more you strip away your excuses for Judgement day! Maybe and hopefully one of the messages will penetrate your heart!

December 22, 2010 at 11:38 am |
  12. Charles

Why does the story imply that Mr. Chan has left the masses behind? He is actually engaged in one of the oldest marketing techniques, which is to remove a "product" for a very short time, and then "bring it back by popular demand." (e.g. He's coming back in Jan to do some mega-events and ramp up sales.)
    Do you not realize that this whole story was generated by Mr. Chan's marketing and PR company? Please don't be this gullible. It'll be our undoing.

December 22, 2010 at 10:33 am |
    • Elephantix

I believe that your cynicism will be proved wrong. Just take a man at his actions and leave it be- there's no need to assume the worst you can think of.

December 22, 2010 at 10:59 am |
    • christrevolution

Charles, that's not true. He left his church months ago already not knowing where God was going to take him. He decided to leave and began going to different cities, he actually said that he thought God was sending him to a big city like los angeles or new york, but I'm surprised but not so much at the same time. He already had an appointment with those days a long time ago. Probably before he felt God leading him to leave to another country. But as a good christian he needs to do what he already said he was going to do. (Go to the conference etc...) And I'm sure he will be back once in a while to preach. Just because you move and live somewhere doesn't mean that you can travel back to visit. And again, he doesn't do it for fame. His church gives 50 percent to the poor. and all his money from the book were given away too. But either way, God bless you man. Just wanted to clarify that. 🙂

December 22, 2010 at 11:00 am |
  13. bes

All these pastors are full of s*&^! I've known a few that are living off the people that attend their churches. As a matter of fact I know of one such pastor, he and his wife both drive Mercedes'. It's diplorable and just plain bad.

December 22, 2010 at 10:31 am |
    • Steve the real one

BES, My Dad is 82 years old and STILL a pastor. He and my Mom drive a Dodge Caravan! This is what you wrote:

ALL these pastors are full of s*&^! I've known A FEW that are living off the people that attend their churches. As a matter of fact I know of ONE SUCHsuch pastor, he and his wife both drive Mercedes'. It's diplorable and just plain bad

You cannot lump ALL with the actions of a FEW and especially the actions of ONE SUCH. Are there some who rob the people? Yes there are! Are ALL of them robbing the people? No they are not! When Jesus choose the 12, even one of them , even one of them was of the Devil! The problem today is not every one (especially on TV) has been choosen! They did not come in the right way an they will be judged for it! Please do not lump the false teachers with those that are real!

December 22, 2010 at 11:27 am |
  14. WIll III

Honesty and humbleness are redeeming qualities in a human no matter the religion. Everyone no matter their faith or lack thereof should attempt to have them.

December 22, 2010 at 10:27 am |
  15. brent

I appreciate his actions, but his words not so much, fear, is not the feeling I want to have in the presence of God, I do not believe in a God who uses such a tactic. I do not believe in a God who uses sickness, or poverty or pain or fear. My God would be a loving, kind, compasionate diety. Just sayin, why would you worship a God who you should fear in such a manner. I'm out of here.

December 22, 2010 at 10:27 am |
    • guest

Brent perhaps that is what is wrong with today's society. We all want the meek and mildness from God, however we people curse his name, make jokes about him, paint indecent pictures of him and it is okay????? What do you do when people do the same to you, just laugh, make jokes about it or do you get mad?

God did not bring all of this on us we the people brought all of this on us when we go about our lives without him in it. Please read your Bible again Brent, it tells us everything we need to know. This is the King James Version of the Bible Brent.

December 22, 2010 at 10:35 am |
    • somebody

Perhaps you misunderstand the usage of the word 'fear' here?

December 22, 2010 at 10:44 am |
    • Steve the real one

Somebody you are correct. The word fear is misused. Respect is a better translation. I love the fact that so many atheists are commentating on the BELIEF BLOG! Interesting enough Atheism is indeed a belief and a religious system! Just what is worshipped is self!

December 22, 2010 at 10:58 am |
    • Jahi98

"Fear" in the Biblical sense in reference to God means "reverence" - a profound and deep respect for God and who He is, His lovingkindness as well as His wrath. The dominant, selfish theology of today that promotes money and material gain is more supported by God's lovingkindness. But there is a call to holiness, the perfect standard of Jesus, that we don't like to talk about because then we get into the wrath of God. It makes us feel uncomfortable and challenges us to change our way of thinking and living. Basically, we want all God's benefits without any responsibility to live according to His law and love our neighbors. We want the blessings but don't want to give up our sinful ways. That's where the lack of "fear" or lack of respect comes in. We continue to sin as if there is no consequence.

December 22, 2010 at 11:07 am |
    • Steve the real one

Jahi98,

Thank you. You said that better than I did.

December 22, 2010 at 11:18 am |
    • CRAIG

He is our heavenly Father, do we fear our earthly father when we mess up, yes , how much more should we fear/respect the creator of the universe, who holds the whole world in his hands. He is a holy,,just God, We do not fear him enough, if we did we would be in a much better place.He does love us, so much that he sent his only son Jesus Christ to die in our place.

December 22, 2010 at 11:26 am |
    • Fluffy

"To fear God" seems to be a bit misunderstood here. To "fear" Him is basically to "respect" or "reverence" Him. To be in awe of His presence and majesty. I am 31 years old but I still "fear" my mom. Why? Because I respect her seniority and the care she has provided for me. I honor her because she was there when most others were not, just like God is there for me ALL the time. If loving & worshiping an "invisible" God keeps me from losing my mind, teaches me to love others, soothes my heart and soul during rough times, and gives me the strength to keeping going it life, then I will be a fool for God ANY DAY!!!

December 22, 2010 at 11:29 am |
  16. guest

It is so sad to read what some people write. We can blame God for all our troubles and woes however we the people have did this to ourselves through greed, self indulgencies, and the want of what other people have. God did not do any of this to us. When we say things like this it is only because we people have to have someone else to blame for our faults. If we look at ourselves, truly look at ourselves we would probably find that we blame others on a constant basis for our problems.

As for those who do not believe in God, if you die you just lie in the ground or in ashes whichever, forever. If we who believe when we are saved are going to a beautiful place called Heaven, I would much rather die knowing that I am going to Heaven than die and go to hell.

Those of you who make fun of God our Savior, shame on you.

December 22, 2010 at 10:26 am |
    • SeanNJ

Shame on your for foresaking your intellect and capacity for rational thought.

December 22, 2010 at 10:43 am |
  17. Eric

Thank God for Francis Chan.

December 22, 2010 at 10:25 am |
  18. Bolaaj09

If Pastor Chan truly did not nurture his small congregation to mega status by watering down the scripture and failing to tell members how painful Christ-followership could be, quite a lot of the "feel-good" ministers out there could learn a thing or two here.

Blessings of the season all and a healthful new year.

December 22, 2010 at 10:24 am |
  19. inghands10

hope for a friend

December 22, 2010 at 10:23 am |
  20. Scott

FYI – nothings new under the sun. People have stated what you said a long time ago in a galaxy far away and we've all decided to leave it there.

December 22, 2010 at 10:23 am |