home
RSS
'God is' billboard replaces controversial Lincoln Tunnel atheist billboard
December 23rd, 2010

'God is' billboard replaces controversial Lincoln Tunnel atheist billboard

By Emanuella Grinberg and Nicole Saidi, CNN

An atheist billboard on the New Jersey side of the Lincoln Tunnel that declared Christmas a "myth" has been replaced by a pro-Christian billboard.

The old billboard, put up in late November by the American Atheists organization, said "You know it's a myth. This season, celebrate reason."

The sign stirred controversy among Christian organizations, prompting the Catholic League to erect its own pro-Christmas billboard on the New York side of the tunnel that read, "You Know It's Real: This Season Celebrate Jesus."

The new sign, which was posted by the Manhattan-based Times Square Church, reads "God is," and includes a word cloud of religious themes.

See images of new "God is" billboard

The sign is a direct response to "atheist billboards near the Lincoln Tunnel declaring Christmas a myth," the church said on its website.

"We want to encourage people to seek God and prove that indeed He is," senior Pastor Connor Conlon said. The ad originally ran as part of a subway ad campaign Times Square Church ran in January 2010.

iReporter Lulis Leal noticed the new sign while passing through the Lincoln Tunnel and shared photos of it with iReport. She said people on both sides of the issue are talking about the latest billboard. She said she's even observed people arguing about it.

As for the old sign, an American Atheists spokesman said the organization's lease ran out on the space, as they'd only had it reserved for a month.

"They have First Amendment rights," spokesman Blair Scott said.

Since putting down $20,000 for the billboard, the group has earned $65,000 in donations, which Scott attributed to the national publicity it garnered - with a little help from the Catholic League.

"We received e-mails from hundreds of agnostics and atheists who heard about the billboard and had never heard about us who thanked us for being there and letting them know they're not alone, and that was our target audience from the get-go," he said.

"We sent the Catholic League a thank-you letter."

- egrinberg

Filed under: Atheism • Catholic Church • Christianity • Christmas • Holidays • iReport

« Previous entry
soundoff (1,586 Responses)
  1. Existence is absurd ...

Nature is seemingly super. Who can we "thank" for our existence? An undirected random explosion or an infinite mind? A primordial rock/soup or a "life force" beyond our physical realm. Science can't truly explain origins. There is always an underlying premise. Like it or not, we're all stuck with the necessity of faith. Our absurd existence requires it.

December 23, 2010 at 9:46 pm |
    • janda

Great point!
      Since no one knows for sure, we will all just have to wait and see how it all unfolds.
      I think it will be an exciting story!

December 23, 2010 at 9:55 pm |
    • Existence is absurd ...

We agree, the big bang was the origin of the universe. I just don't believe that it magically happened. So here we are, already moving beyond science into the metaphysical; and that is my point, science is pretty limited with origin explanations.

December 23, 2010 at 10:05 pm |
    • Existence is absurd ...

John – nature is full of examples of lumber erecting itself into a house. Why are we so afraid of the word supernatural? Who wouldn't agree that nature is super?

December 23, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
    • RichardSRussell

We are not stuck with the "necessity of faith". We have a perfectly reasonable alternative: honesty. In this case, honesty involves saying "I don't know." Why is that so hard for you True Believers? Are you really so insecure that you prefer whatever fairy tale comes down the pike to an honest admission of ignorance on a subject that EVERYBODY is ignorant about?

December 23, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
    • Existence is absurd ...

I agree, we don't know. I don't know and that is the point. People of faith must embrace, by definition, a lack of knowing. My point, is that science, when it comes to orgins, has the same issue. Springing into existence spontaneously hardly sounds scientific. The univere is too wondrous to think that it came from someithing less than itself. I simply believe that the big bang was the transcendent creative (purposed) event.

December 23, 2010 at 10:52 pm |
    • RichardSRussell

Just because "springing into existence spontaneously" doesn't SOUND reasonable to you doesn't mean it's NOT reasonable. In fact, it's a perfectly respectable hypothesis, supported by the evidence that spontaneous pair production of positrons and electrons happens ALL THE TIME down at the level of quantum foam, including probably a million times or so in your very own body in the time it's taken you to read this. Virtually all of these events are followed picoseconds later by the positron and electron re-merging and cancelling each other out of existence, but all it really takes is 1 time when that didn't happen for the Universe (or, more likely, 2 separate universes) to result.

Not sayin' that's the way it actually happened, because evidence is nowhere near conclusive, but it's not impossible simply because your imagination doesn't extend that far.

December 24, 2010 at 1:42 am |
    • Auntie M

Exactly Janda! We are all forgetting the real reason here! My life is an exciting journey that unfolds and I look forward to seeing what lies around the corner, but also appreciate where I am now and the lessons I learned. I don't expect or even demand that anyone at anytime must only march in lockstep with me to know of my truth, because this is my own personal journey...no one elses. I have absolutely no problem with anyone seeking or finding comfort in their own personal truth....this is your own journey to walk-not mine. I celebrate with those who choose to live good lives, and do good things for all those they encounter. Not because of who has a bigger and badder god, or the dire consequences for not doing so. Live! Love! Worship! and Celebrate! But at the same time, I will tell you these things...Do not tell me that I cannot do the same. Do not tell me I must die because of your beliefs....for then your journey becomes all about domination. If you have that much faith...shut your mouth and do as your Lord and Saviour told you to do. Trust and believe in what you profess and walk the walk. Go on have fun! I'm praying for your rapture too, if that is what you desire so badly. But I still believe in my fellow man and hope there is still some non-suicidal sperm still left in the gene pool. And I have faith in the common sense we were all born with, that one day we can all agree to disagree and still be happy with each other...or at least get along without killing each other.

December 24, 2010 at 9:15 am |
  2. David Banner

Ridiculous. What are the Christians so worried about with these atheist billboards or bus ads? It's almost as if they need to feel like they are being "persecuted"... very similar to another type of group, the CULT.

You Know it's a Myth (or you should if you thought about it for two seconds) - Celebrate Reason this Season

December 23, 2010 at 9:45 pm |
    • John

@Existence is absurd

The big bang is infinitely more plausible than a magical god and there is a mountain of evidence to support it. OTOH, there is absolutely zero evidence to support anything supernatural, god or otherwise. Zero! Science does not yet have all of the answers and may never, but it does have some of the answers and so far, religion has none. Science wins, once again!

December 23, 2010 at 9:55 pm |
    • Tom

John, so me building a house isn't as logical as lumber erecting itself into a house? Sounds like someone took the Staple's easy button a little too seriously.

December 23, 2010 at 10:09 pm |
    • RichardSRussell

Cute line about Staples, John, but your analogy falls flat. Here are the 3 leading hypotheses about the existence of the Universe:
      (1) It's always been here.
      (2) It sprang into being spontaneously.
      (3) Somebody made it.
      You are arguing for #3 but have not yet successfully demonstrated why anybody should rule out #1 or #2.

Besides, even if we were willing to disallow #1 and #2 for the sake of argument, you still haven't shown us why the "somebody" in #3 has to be your God and not, say, an unusually ambitious pack of Cub Scouts (let alone Allah, Brahma, Gitchee Manitou, highly intelligent space aliens, etc.).

December 23, 2010 at 10:36 pm |
  3. David Johnson

From the article:
    "We want to encourage people to seek God and prove that indeed He is," senior Pastor Connor Conlon said. "

I want to encourage you believers to prove that your god is to.

Please, prove this for me.

Cheers!

December 23, 2010 at 9:39 pm |
  4. BADGUY

Who's to say who is right. Did Jesus live...I believe he did. Was he a God?..I don't think so. Did he do the things the Apostles said he did?...I think their rememberances where "colored" by time. Did he establish a moral code that's been followed in Christian countries (and by connection, many non-Christian countries)...Yes, most definitely. Were many of the things he teached "Good"...I believe yes. Should we celebrate his birth....Yes. We celebrate Martin Luther King Day, Lincoln's and Washington's birthday. Why shouldn't we celebrate the birth of a man that has influenced the last 2,000 years? Was he a god? Was he a man? Who knows. No one alive then and especially now can say (for sure) either way. So let's stop arguing and believe what we believe.

December 23, 2010 at 9:39 pm |
  5. Trudy

Amen, Amen, it's time someone stands up. I believe in the Lord Jesus Christ. I am not ashamed of him. He is my everything. A lot of folks out there will find out someday when they stand before him. Why would you be so ashamed and so against everything that God stands for and what he did to give us Enternal Life. I feel sorry for those who don't believe in the Lord Jesus Christ. You will find out someday.. God have mercy on your soul. Jesus died to pay for the sins that we commit. I Praise His HOLY name...

December 23, 2010 at 9:38 pm |
    • BADGUY

I think Jesus's teachings should be taught in school, along with Karl Marx, Confuscious, Budda and Mohammed. I don't find anything wrong with what he said or with the ideas behind what he said. What I DO find wrong (and evil) are those who consider and promote themselves as the "interpreters" and "go-betweens". If you want to learn about Jesus and his teachings, pick up a bible. You don't need to attend Mass or church services. You don't have to give 10% of your income to churches that tell you you'll go to hell if you don't. The people involved in the "dualing billboards" are the "go betweens" who are attempting to tell YOU what you can learn for yourself.

December 23, 2010 at 9:57 pm |
    • Don

If I cared, I'd pity you, Trudy. But I don't care. I have my own life to lead, and it doesn't include pitying self-deluded fools such as you.

December 23, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  6. Rock God

People like to believe in their imaginary Cloud Man. They're even willing to kill for this nice little fantasy. I'd rather have them put up a billboard than blow themselves up for their space man.

December 23, 2010 at 9:33 pm |
  7. Nowayjose71

Atheists...
    Majority rules. You're screwed. Go away.
    Thank you very much! :^)

December 23, 2010 at 9:32 pm |
    • richardsrussell

Sorry, bub, maybe majority rules in whatever country YOU came from, but here in America we have freedom of religion, and no majority, no matter how large, can tell us what religious beliefs we have to adhere to. Religious freedom is a basic human right. You might want to try reading about it someday in what we here like to call the Bill of Rights.

December 23, 2010 at 9:38 pm |
    • Kevin

My dinosaurs stomped your god into the mud...
      Merry Christmas!!!

December 23, 2010 at 9:46 pm |
    • Sir Craig

Just another way of saying "mob rules," and as the saying goes, "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."

December 23, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
    • myklds

@Richard Russel. You're reply shows that your an Atheist but it sounds like saying Atheism is a religion. Are you really an Atheist? I doubt coz if you are, it only prove that Atheists aren't united on their stands.

December 23, 2010 at 10:56 pm |
    • myklds

@ kevin...show me your true and living dinosour and I'll show you mine (god).

@Mr. Craig...I bet you won't dare, or they will tear you in pieces.

December 23, 2010 at 11:03 pm |
    • RichardSRussell

MyKids, you have hit on an absolute truth here. The only thing — repeat, the ONLY thing — that we atheists reliably have in common is the absence of a belief in any gods. That's it. End of the line. There are no consequences of that raw fact, no creeds, no devotions, no rituals, no questions about what KIND of god do you not believe in, what's your definition of a miracle, is man saved by grace or works — none of that is necessary, because ALL of those questions flow from answering "yes" to the question "Do you believe in God?", and our answer is "no". We don't have a pope or miracles or a holy book that we can turn to for answers to life's perplexing questions. We have to think for ourselves.

And, as you've discovered, one of the consequences of thinking for ourselves is that, aside from our atheism, we're all over the map on everything else. That's one reason it's so hard to get us organized.

December 24, 2010 at 1:35 am |
  8. Jeff Stevens

God is....good business.

December 23, 2010 at 9:30 pm |
  9. Paul M

Let's face it, ANY concept of god that man can concieve of is not even close to what god is in acutality... The gods that men, dream up are at best, pale imitations of what "god" is in reality. The god's that man manage to dream up. have the manners and morals of spoiled children...

December 23, 2010 at 9:27 pm |
    • richardsrussell

What "god" is in reality is non-existent. None of us should have the least difficulty conceiving of that.

December 23, 2010 at 9:30 pm |
    • Paul M

I've just said that man does not have the ability to concieve of what god is. Just because YOU are unable to even accept the fact that god does exist and you are unable to concieve that he exists does not mean that it does not exist.

December 23, 2010 at 9:54 pm |
    • RichardSRussell

OK, Paul, I will waste this much of my time on your anti-intellectualism. If you truly believe that God is unknowable, then the "fact" that he even exists must also be unknowable, right? So how can you possibly know it? As soon as you assert that you have any knowledge whatsoever about God, you undercut your own argument that he's unknowable.

I don't actually expect to get thru to you, but other people reading these comments may be able to see thru your pathetic attempts at rationalizing the utter and total lack of evidence for your imaginary friend.

December 23, 2010 at 10:25 pm |
    • myklds

ey richard...do yourself a favor, try to read a lot and improve your comprehension skills. Then go back here when you're ready. Perhaps you would be able to conceive what paul is saying and will not just assume and let everybody here to see how low your IQ is.

December 23, 2010 at 11:18 pm |
    • Terre08

@myklds

Seriously? To anyone with an IQ above an amoeba, Richard comes across as much smarter than you or Paul.

December 24, 2010 at 12:25 am |
  10. mario1976

I can't figure out atheists. They get together and agree to 'not believe' in something?
    Why don't they go out and get a pizza or something and wait until Dec. 26th?

December 23, 2010 at 9:26 pm |
    • Tom

They all got together to believe in Obama two years ago. Look how that worked out.

December 23, 2010 at 9:43 pm |
    • mario1976

Tom –
      It seems that Atheism and Obamaism just go hand-in-hand.

December 23, 2010 at 9:49 pm |
    • pete

Hey that's a good idea, I like pizza. By the way try not to do too much "figuring out" you may injure your little brain.

December 23, 2010 at 9:51 pm |
    • pete

Obama is a christian.

December 23, 2010 at 9:54 pm |
    • RichardSRussell

Geez, Pete, there you go, expecting mere reality to have an effect on True Believers.

December 23, 2010 at 10:22 pm |
    • Don

I'm an atheist and I didn't vote for Obama. Why? Because I'm an anarchocapitalist; I don't want there to be a government at all. Everything should be provided via the market. Down with the coercive expropriating territorial monopolies known as governments.

December 23, 2010 at 10:27 pm |
  11. TattoodBrew

Point being, Did the Atheist receive the time on the board they paid for? If not there is a problem with the advertising company and I would get every cent I paid for...

December 23, 2010 at 9:23 pm |
  12. Jesus Cristo

hey lets start taxing churches! many of the pastors of the mega chuches make millions a year

December 23, 2010 at 9:23 pm |
  13. randyT

Silly atheists...I don't believe in the Easter Bunny, but I don't flop down 20 grand for a billboard!
    These people need to get a hobby or read a book or something...

December 23, 2010 at 9:22 pm |
    • Sir Craig

Apples, oranges. The Followers of the Sacred Easter Bunny (FSEB) aren't the ones pushing to get evolution removed from schools, or dilute it with "other theories" that have zero to do with science and everything to do with a religious agenda. The FSEB aren't the ones who would like to see a Catholic monarchy replace our current government. The FSEB isn't pushing to have the separation of church and state disappear and bring in laws that would outlaw anything that upsets Jahweh/Jehovah/God/Allah/whatever the ruling flavor may be. The FSEB aren't the ones who keep pointing to a book of Iron Age myths, borrowed from other, earlier myths, and saying, "This book is the ultimate Truth!" The FSEB aren't the hypocrites who preach to "hate the sin, love the sinner" but secretly hope they do end up in some horrible eternal Hell.

Hope that cleared it up for you somewhat.

December 23, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
    • pete

Do you mean the Big Book of Fairy Tales.

December 23, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  14. Jesus Cristo

Jesus was such a miracle maker that only 12 losers followed him

December 23, 2010 at 9:21 pm |
    • RichardSRussell

The only thing that casts doubt on the miracles of Jesus is that they were all witnessed by fishermen.

December 23, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  15. richardsrussell

Among other things that "God is" ... missing in action.

December 23, 2010 at 9:21 pm |
  16. Jesus Cristo

Saying "Merry Christmas" does not bother us. Just the fact that some one is stupid to think there is a god that is what bother us!

December 23, 2010 at 9:21 pm |
  17. Kevin

...and Trilobite saw his domain and said...
    "JESUS, IT'S HOT OUT HERE!!!"
    ...and quickly scurried under his rock...

December 23, 2010 at 9:19 pm |
  18. john Pappas

So I don't get this. If I don't believe, when I die (DIE) I will be sent to an "eternity" of hell (that being from 5000 years ago when the earth was made). If there is no G_D then I've wasted my life believing in ferry tales and have been mislead. Here's a questions. If there is a G_D how come there are so many different religions?? If G_D was real don't you think the people that had it figured out would all believe in the same one? Wouldn't heaven keep getting more and more crowded every year? How come the population keeps growing? Is the a heaven for Islam and separate heaven for Catholic, Jews etc?

I G_D is love why wouldn't "it, he she" not give you salvation for not believing in the short time you were alive. What if you grew up not even knowing about any religion. Then what?
    The reason I'm an athesit is there sooo many questions that refute G_D that it is beyond a doubt in my mind the bible or any other book made by MAN isn't accurate.

December 23, 2010 at 9:18 pm |
    • richardsrussell

Since you seem to be comfortable with questions, John, here's one for you. What's with the underlines? Do you have trouble typing "God"?

December 23, 2010 at 9:23 pm |
    • TattoodBrew

Agreed.

December 23, 2010 at 9:26 pm |
    • Tom

John, the three most popular religions in the world (Judaism, Islam, Christianity) are all Abrahamic and worship the same diety. Anyway the belief in a creator, higher power, what have you, is innate. Many philosophers believed that one couldn't envision something that didn't exist, which is where faith comes into play. If it isn't real, why would so many people be born with a sense of higher power.

December 23, 2010 at 9:39 pm |
    • john Pappas

CNN has away of not posting certain words or certain groups of words. So I choose to underline or type certain words differently so it will still get posted. Was not trying to be offensive.

December 23, 2010 at 10:07 pm |
    • john Pappas

Tom- That higher power could be a more advanced race of living beings that seeded us or came to visit us a long time ago for all we know. When you look at life from the perspective of an insect, that insect would have a vastly different concept about life and this world. We could be this insect and the universe we know could be the size of an atom in a world vastly larger than what we could conceive.

What I don't buy is organized religion. Word for word from a book that has been rewritten a zillion times based on myths. I would just as much believe in Greek Mythology. Great stories with good lessons. That is what I think of the bible. Good stories with good lessons. But I don't believe the characters were real.

Over and out folks. I'm tired and want to eat dinner. Great debates though. Merry Christmas to all people of all beliefs.

December 23, 2010 at 10:16 pm |
    • Erin

I was baptized Catholic 39 years ago. After that, my mom went astray from the Catholic church and went to different Christian churches and then didn't go, then went, etc. So I really didn't have a stable religious foundation. As I grew, I realized that I was more spiritual than anything. My heart is good, I'm a kind, loving, tender woman that would do anything for anyone. I've always believed in God. I have no idea what God looks like. Male, female, figure, symbol...I don't know. I have no idea what's going to happen when I die. But I know that my heart is filled with love and passion. I know that as I'm sitting here right now looking at my beautiful, awnry children and my wonderfully stubborn husband, that there is LOVE surrounding me. I know that I'm right where I'm supposed to be in this life. I know that when I smiled at an old man in a wheelchair the other day at Subway it meant something to him. And when he was done, and he and his wife turned to leave, he looked at me and said Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family. It meant to much to me. I felt the power of love. It was great. You have so many questions that millions and millions of people also have. I couldn't even begin to try to answer them, but I can tell you that if you just love, with your whole heart, not worry about this religious group or that, you may be able to answer some of those questions yourself. To each his own, right? I would never try to convince you that the way I think and act is right, but there's something about love...real, true, honest, pure love. Share it and accept it. It's probably the closest I can get to trying to answer your questions. I like what Stephen Grellet, French/American religious leader (1773-1855) said, "I expect to pass through the world but once. Any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness I can show to any creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer it, for I shall not pass this way again.."
      Peace~

December 23, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
    • Scott

@Erin: I’m an atheist and have no problem with your philosophy at all. It comes very close to my own. Imagine what a wonderful world this would have been if all religions worked like this.

December 24, 2010 at 8:39 pm |
  19. Tom

Atheists are such prima donnas. They want crosses taken off of buildings and God taken off of currency and out of the Pledge of Allegiance. They can't even tolerate having somebody say "Merry Christmas." My niece in her terrible twos whines less.

December 23, 2010 at 9:17 pm |
    • Jesus Cristo

tom you are just dumb

December 23, 2010 at 9:19 pm |
    • DrunkWithPower

I believe in Zeus as the one true God. Can we put Him on the dollar bill?

December 23, 2010 at 9:26 pm |
    • grist

Tom,
      No two atheists are alike, just like no two Christians are the same. However, mMost atheists I have met simply don't want tax payer dollars supporting religions. No one says to take crosses off of buildings; just government buildings. Don't teach religion in public schools. Don't impose religion on people. We want the separation of churches and state to be respected.

December 23, 2010 at 9:27 pm |
    • john Pappas

I don't care one way or another about saying Merry Christmas. Believe what you want. I just have internally no respect for people who believe in myths and ferry tales as being factually true. I glaze over when people say they are religious and begin denying science, when I can prove time and time again what they deny on faith alone is actually correct. I don't need to tell them they are fools, I just move onto people who can actually cary a conversation with people who don't believe in men who have lived in giant fish, etc.

If ignorance is bliss, then believing word for word in the bible must be blissful. But it certainly doesn't mean its the correct. It just means you shut your ears to everything else and follow that one path. The religious remind of a horse with blinders on. It doesn't mean that horse has a terrible life, it just means it hasn't experienced much. My cats know only my yard and a yard or two down the street. For all they know I'm G_D. There's so much more out there if you explore. And you can't explore other reasonings if you are shut in to only one. I gave major a religions a shot and they answered nothing. Peace to all.

December 23, 2010 at 9:30 pm |
    • Tom

Drunk, if you can get a majority of your population to worship Zeus, then I don't care. That's what the Greeks and Romans did. Grist, go to California and you'll see what I'm talking about. Jesus, try rewriting that with some punctuation and capitalization. I can't read buffoon.

December 23, 2010 at 9:32 pm |
    • richardsrussell

Pray all you want to. Raise your kids to believe whatever foolishness you wish. Slap a plastic nativity scene on your front lawn year-round if it tickles your fancy. Build and attend your churches, synagogs, mosques, temples, ashrams, etc. Sing the praises of your imaginary friend to your heart's content. That's all part of freedom of religion, one of the things that makes this country great. Each of us AS INDIVIDUALS can choose our religious beliefs FOR OURSELVES. What we atheists have a problem with — and what more religiots SHOULD have a problem with — is government making those decisions FOR us.

December 23, 2010 at 9:34 pm |
    • Kevin

My Iguanodon gets upset whenever he hears such talk...
      The Three Wise Men?
      A herd of Triceratops got them to Jerusalem...
      T-Rexes ate them though...
      A shame...

December 23, 2010 at 9:52 pm |
    • myklds

@richards..Are (you)Atheist now implying that there should be no government?

December 23, 2010 at 11:25 pm |
    • hijo de putah

@ jesus cristo...so for you the best reply to a valid argument is through name calling? You're such kind of genius, huh?

December 23, 2010 at 11:30 pm |
    • Mark A. A.

There is no separation of church and state. "In God we trust" is printed on our money. Christmas is a federal holiday. "One nation under God was added to the original Pledge Of Allegiance in the early 1950's because of the growing threat of communism.

The next time there is a tragedy in your life, of family's or friends' or elsewhere in the world, ask yourself this, "Where was God?"

December 24, 2010 at 10:36 am |
    • Joy

Tom, god was not in the Pledge when I went to school. It is a new addition and does not belong there. The pledge is for Americans to say, and they are not all christians, so it should not be included. Separation of church and state is getting muddied, needs to be cleaned up.

December 24, 2010 at 5:12 pm |
    • Scott

Tom: Christians can put up all the crosses they want ON THEIR OWN BUILDINGS. The problem arises when a religion wants their symbol on a public building in a country where there is separation of church and state. And talk about whiners when they don’t get their own way, how about those Christians when their illegal displays of the 10 commandment s are removed from public buildings.

December 24, 2010 at 8:30 pm |
  20. Jesus Cristo

the bible is full of lies!!!! lies and liars! there is no GOD

December 23, 2010 at 9:17 pm |