home
RSS
January 1st, 2011

Pope rallies Christians not to despair in face of recent attacks

By the CNN Wire Staff

Pope Benedict XVI spoke out Saturday against a recent wave of religious attacks against Christians and rallied worshippers not to "cave into depression and resignation," hours after a bomb explosion outside a church in Egypt killed 21 people.

During his New Year's Day homily titled, "Religious Freedom, the road to peace," Benedict asked followers and governments to join efforts in combating religious persecution.

"Mankind cannot resign himself to the negative forces of egoism and violence," the pontiff said, adding that governments must show a willingness to combat violence.

Read the full story on the pope denouncing recent attacks against Christians

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Catholic Church • Pope Benedict XVI • Violence

1. Gary

@ Let us prey...gonna watch the Anthony Quinn movie soon. I did not realize Blake was such a pervert. I have read many of his poems but not much about him or his lifestyle. I am happily married since 96 two kids...Not a pervert by most standards I think?

January 5, 2011 at 12:28 am |
    • Let Us Prey

@ Gary

Good that you've studied-up on Blake a bit... There's plenty of potential embarrassment there.

Enjoy Tony Quinn. 'Fisherman' was a very controversial movie for it's time. Even then there was criticism being directed at the Catholic church for it's internal politics, dogma, entrenchment, and self-preservation. Many religious conservatives viewed this movie as a 'thumb in the eye' of the RCC. A good social commentary on 'what should be' rather than what was (or is.) One of my favorites.

January 5, 2011 at 12:45 am |
  2. Gary

I went to the Garden of Love,
    And saw what I never had seen;
    A Chapel was built in the midst,
    Where I used to play on the green.

And the gates of this Chapel were shut
    And "Thou shalt not," writ over the door;
    So I turned to the Garden of Love
    That so many sweet flowers bore.

And I saw it was filled with graves,
    And tombstones where flowers should be;
    And priests in black gowns were walking their rounds,
    And binding with briars my joys and desires. All Priests Cardinals bishops,and popes should read this beautiful poem by William Blake

January 4, 2011 at 9:01 pm |
    • Let Us Prey

@ Gary

Do you understand the etiology of Blake's views, his preference for free love, and his iconoclastic views? The man was the original Timothy Leary of his time, sans LSD. Blake simply rationalized his way around English common law to mitigate his perversions, i.e., 19th C. "free love."

So you really don't believe in either state or societal restriction of any or all s3xual acts? Gee, Gary... that makes you, even by today's standards, either a pervert at worst, or a scoundrel at best ! Best think twice (or three times) when adopting philosophies like Blake's. And, btw, Blake believed deeply in religion, however he limited the church's intrusion by denouncing it's influence against his preference for acts considered s3xually deviant, thus the 'poem.'

Pretty good 'back ass ward' example, Gary.

January 5, 2011 at 12:22 am |
  3. RightTurnClyde

I must say things they do not agree with because it goes into some holding cell and dies. I do not use cuss words and I am not using anti-anybody words but maybe the board just doesn't like what I say. (many don't)

January 3, 2011 at 2:37 am |
    • Reality

• The moderators of this blog have set up a secret forbidden word filter which unfortunately not only will delete or put your comment in the dreaded "waiting for moderation" category but also will do the same to words having fragments of these words. For example, "t-it" is in the set but the filter will also pick up words like Hitt-ite, t-itle, beati-tude, practi-tioner and const-tution. Then there words like "an-al" thereby flagging words like an-alysis and "c-um" flagging acc-umulate or doc-ument. And there is also "r-a-pe", “a-pe” and “gra-pe”, "s-ex", and "hom-ose-xual". You would think that the moderators would have corrected this by now considering the number of times this has been commented on but they have not. To be safe, I typically add hyphens in any word that said filter might judge "of-fensive".

• More than one web address will also activate “waiting for moderation”. Make sure the web address does not have any forbidden word or fragment.

Sum Dude routinely updates the list of forbidden words/fragments.

Two of the most filtered words are those containing the fragments "t-it" and "c-um". To quickly check your comments for these fragments, click on "Edit" on the Tool Bar and then "Find" on the menu. Add a fragment (without hyphens) one at a time in the "Find" slot and the offending fragment will be highlighted in your comments before you hit the Post button. Hyphenate the fragment(s) and then hit Post. And remember more than one full web address will also gain a "Waiting for Moderation".

January 3, 2011 at 8:09 am |
  4. Gary

@ hotairspace....do worry about spelling. I noticed when folks are losing the argument or can not prove their imaginary points they become critical of ones spelling......Let us Prey. is a great example.

January 2, 2011 at 4:52 pm |
    • Let Us Prey

Uh-huh.. Sure, Gary.

Spelling counts, and excuses are cheap – but entertaining...

January 3, 2011 at 1:41 am |
  5. Gary

I agree with you Mark from middle river.....unfortunately most Christian's I speak to do not believe that at all. As an agnostic I appreciate your open mind and enjoy most all your posts!......have a great new year...

January 2, 2011 at 11:10 am |
  6. Gary

"Chosen to believe"?? what a joke ........I guess native Americans were chosen to belief in rain and fire gods? I guess middle eastern folks were chosen to believe in Islam?

January 2, 2011 at 10:04 am |
    • Mark from Middle River

If you believe that there may be multiple paths to God then, there is a chance that the native american's path, the hindu path.... what if they all arrive at the same destination?

January 2, 2011 at 10:34 am |
    • HotAirAce

@Mark from Middle River

i believe it is highly probable, virtually 100%, that they do. And that would be nowhere as they are all manmade tribal myths intended to explain the unexplained and/or to control a society.

PS to those seeking perfect spelling... While there are many many things I like about the iPad I am using at this moment, it has to have the worst keyboard, editing and auto-spelling features I've ever seen! Entering more than a few sentences error-free is almost sufficient to cause me to believe in supernatural beings, but not Steve Jobs.

January 2, 2011 at 1:05 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

Ace – I gotta disagree with parts of your responce but the one I have to disagree to the heavens is that you have not experianced a bad keyboard until you try to blog on the iPads little brother the itouch.

January 2, 2011 at 2:11 pm |
    • The Quest for Perfect Spelling

@ HAA

The advantages of Apple are neverending. What reasonable person would subject themselves to that kind of perpetual torture? I mean, really... should -we- be expected to stumble through your texts because of shortcomings in -your- equipment? Maybe a folding/rolling keyboard's in order?

January 3, 2011 at 1:55 am |
    • HotAirAce

@The Quest for Perfect Spelling

I'm a PC guy (work for a major manufacturer) fairly new to Apple, but becoming more familiar, mostly 'cause of my kids, but I did buy an Apple iPad. If I didn't have 1,000s (several!) lines of code on Windows, I would seriouly look at moving entirely to Apple, but my experience with an iPad is dampening my enthusiasm. And then there's the lock-in factor – all vendors are a lock-in to some extent, and I'm not sure I want to move to another one. I do have a keyboard for the iPad, with real "arrow" keys for editing, but it just makes the user interface worse 'cause you still have to touch the screen for some things and Apple apparently doesn't see the need for a mouse on the iPad. There are many who think a keyboard + mouse makes more sense than keyboard + touch, but the Apple purists are winning. I think they need to change if they want to convert more PC folks, but it appears that conversions are about as common as conversions between religions, and perhaps not event wanted. Anyway, thanks for the note!

January 6, 2011 at 5:54 pm |
  7. Reality

The second road to religious peace, B16 forgot to mention:

Saving Christians from the Big Resurrection Con:

From that famous passage: In 1 Corinthians 15 St. Paul reasoned, "If Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith."

To wit;

From a major Catholic university's theology grad school white-board notes:

Jesus and Mary's bodies are therefore not in Heaven.

Only Luke's Gospel records it. The Assumption ties Jesus' mission to Pentecost and missionary activity of Jesus' followers The Assumption has multiple layers of symbolism, some are related to Mary's special role as "Christ bearer" (theotokos). It does not seem fitting that Mary, the body of Jesus' Virgin-Mother (another biblically based symbol found in Luke 1) would be derived by worms upon her death. Mary's assumption also shows God's positive regard, not only for Christ's male body, but also for female bodies." "

The Vatican quickly embellished this story with a lot CYAP.

Of course, we all know that angels are really mythical "pretty wingie talking thingies".

With respect to rising from the dead, we also have this account:

An added note: As per R.B. Stewart in his introduction to the recent book, The Resurrection of Jesus, Crossan and Wright in Dialogue, ( Professors Crossan and Wright are On Faith panelists).

So where are the bones? As per Professor Crossan's analyses in his many books, the body of Jesus would have ended up in the mass graves of the crucified, eaten by wild dogs, with lime in a shallow grave, or under a pile of stones.

Common sense, as noted previously, says said bones cannot be in heaven, a spirit state if it exists!!!

January 2, 2011 at 7:48 am |
  8. Reality

As per B16, "Religious Freedom, the road to peace"

The first road he forgot to mention:

Saving Muslims is quite easy!!!
    The Five Steps To Deprogram 1400 Years of Islamic Myths:
    ( –The Steps take less than two minutes to finish- simply amazing, two minutes to bring peace and rationality to over one billion lost souls- Priceless!!!)

Are you ready?

Using "The 77 Branches of Islamic "faith" a collection compiled by Imam Bayhaqi as a starting point. In it, he explains the essential virtues that reflect true "faith" (iman) through related Qur’anic verses and Prophetic sayings." i.e. a nice summary of the Koran and Islamic beliefs.

"1. Belief in Allah"

aka as God, Yahweh, Zeus, Jehovah, Mother Nature, etc. should be added to your cleansing neurons.

"2. To believe that everything other than Allah was non-existent. Thereafter, Allah Most High created these things and subsequently they came into existence."

Evolution and the Big Bang or the "Gi-b G-nab" (when the universe starts to recycle) are more plausible and the "akas" for Allah should be included if you continue to be a "crea-tionist".

"3. To believe in the existence of angels."

A major item for neuron cleansing. Angels/de-vils are the mythical creations of ancient civilizations, e.g. Hitt-ites, to explain/define natural events, contacts with their gods, big birds, sudden winds, protectors during the dark nights, etc. No "pretty/ug-ly wingy thingies" ever visited or talked to Mohammed, Jesus, Mary or Joseph or Joe Smith. Today we would classify angels as f–airies and "tin–ker be-lls". Modern de-vils are classified as the de-mons of the de-mented.

"4. To believe that all the heavenly books that were sent to the different prophets are true. However, apart from the Quran, all other books are not valid anymore."

Another major item to delete. There are no books written in the spirit state of Heaven (if there is one) just as there are no angels to write/publish/distribute them. The Koran, OT, NT etc. are simply books written by humans for humans.

Prophets were invented by ancient scribes typically to keep the un-educated masses in line. Today we call them for-tune tellers.

Prophecies are also invali-dated by the natural/God/Allah gifts of Free Will and Future.

"5. To believe that all the prophets are true. However, we are commanded to follow the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) alone."

Mohammed spent thirty days "fasting" (the Ramadan legend) in a hot cave before his first contact with Allah aka God etc. via a "pretty wingy thingy". Common sense demands a neuron deletion of #5. #5 is also the major source of Islamic vi-olence i.e. turning Mohammed's "fast, hunger-driven" hallu-cinations into horrible reality for unbelievers.

Walk these Five Steps and we guarantee a complete recovery from your Islamic ways!!!!

January 2, 2011 at 7:45 am |
  9. Matthew

Ok, I didn't bother reading the latter half of the comments save for the last one because they're all either one of two things: God is good, man don't judge or religion is stupid and it's caused tons of wars and it's the worst part of humanity and I want to purge it from human history. I would have to say that the latter brings up a valid point that throughout history religion has given grounds for wars. But I would also say condemning it because of that is outright lunacy. If you were to condemn religion for every war it's started then to be fair you'd have to commend it for all the GOOD it's done. As RightTurnClyde said, the church has created hundreds of universities and hospitals as well as sending an uncountable amount of Missionaries to help in third world countries as well as with the homeless in America (I'd know, I've done both). The reason for "bigotry and ignorance" towards Muslims is fear. If it weren't for the fact that it was handled as a sting operation, the Christmas tree bomber (Mohamed Mohamud) in Portland, Oregon would have killed hundreds of people (including myself!). But killing is not actually part of any religion. There are plenty of extremely peaceful Muslims who HATE the fact that they are being represented in the media by extremists in the Middle East and here in America that are inflicting terror and violence. The same could be said about me, a Christian. I HATE the fact that wayward priests (although I'm not Catholic) and pastors who want to burn the Koran represent me in the media. But that's just it, the media doesn't want to do a boring story about religious yada yada while there's a much more watchable story about a bombing, or a ranting raving pastor. I'm not a Muslim but I'm also not a murderer and neither are the majority of the people of either faith. That's all I have to say about that.

January 2, 2011 at 3:45 am |
    • Matthew

By the way I actually did read the comments while I was typing because there were all of like 12 of them.

January 2, 2011 at 3:45 am |
  10. RightTurnClyde

While all the ha**ful folks condemn the pope (and the wayward priests) try to remember that this same community of Christians, that is the Roman Catholics, have built more than 200 universities, at least 100 hospitals including teaching hospitals that train doctors and nurses who treat millions of people (often for free) world wide, operate thousands of elementary and missions schools that teach basic literacy through prep through out the world (liberating those people from abject poverty), they advocate for prisoners around the world whether in Russian Gulag or an American death row (people who are abandoned and lone), they operate several leper treatment colonies, and like mother Teresa go to assignments that are harmful to them only to help those in need. (not to convert or to evangelize) Add to this Christians of the Protestant and Eastern churches and the number of hospitals and universities double .. larger than any government. They liberate millions of impoverished human being from disease, pain and ignorance and help them to built better lives and to build their own communities. Don't be so quick to condemn. Christians and especially Catholics have given much to the world simply because they WANT to and because of their believe in our loving Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

January 2, 2011 at 1:40 am |
  11. Gary

Let us prey, not a spelling bee....religious..was typing fast .... keep laughing and judging. Any time you want to debate science religion let me know

January 1, 2011 at 8:58 pm |
    • Let Us Prey

With you? I'll pass. I already have a ten year old who needs help with his homework. He didn't do a thing over the holiday break...

January 1, 2011 at 9:13 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

What is the debate science vs. Religion?

January 1, 2011 at 11:35 pm |
  12. NM

January 1, 2011 at 7:30 pm |
  13. Gary

gerald tdh, enjoy the bombs the persecution and all the death caused by religion for religions sake. America is a place where you are free to worship or not. America is still the greatest nation. But as other religions continue to grow especially Islam in this country I predict more violence,terrorism,torture,hate crimes,para military groups will flourish in this country......

January 1, 2011 at 4:58 pm |
    • Let Us Prey

@ Gary

Make up your mind. Either I'm free "to worship or not," or you want to "eradicate brainwashed religious weak minded idiots." You can't have it both ways...

Oh, and btw, Gary... there's no such thing as "religion for religion's sake." Religion is simply a tool plied to gain an objective. Religion is a sword, propaganda, intimidation, community, control, security, responsibility, etc. But it's never self-serving. It's a means to an end, good, bad or indifferent.

Ah, the young. So easily confused....

January 1, 2011 at 9:09 pm |
    • Peace2All

@Gary

You may be right... you may be wrong in your predictions that there will be 'more,' but certainly some humans will continue and perpetuate a certain amount of violence. In that you are correct.

However, dude... I gotta' say, what's up with the 'eradication' of... people thing you are on...? I'm an 'agnostic' ... however, you don't sound like an 'agnostic' to me. You sound more like an angry and possibly prone to violence 'atheist.'

I've seen your posts before -Gary, and they usually seem to be more sensible, at least to me, in my opinion.

But, I think I'm with -Let Us Prey on his taking you to task on the contrasting world-views and statements you asserted.

I can certainly understand, if in your opinion, you don't want to see organized religion and their myth's perpetuated, but 'eradication' of the "weak-minded"...? What's up with that -Gary...? Are you 'really' calling for any believers and practi-tioners of organized religions to be 'eradicated'... is this really what you wanted to say...?

Peace...

January 2, 2011 at 3:22 pm |
    • Peace2All

@Let Us Prey

Hey there -Let Us Prey... Happy New Year to ya'...!

You Said: "Religion is simply a tool plied to gain an objective. Religion is a sword, propaganda, intimidation, community, control, security, responsibility, etc. But it's never self-serving. It's a means to an end, good, bad or indifferent."

I am curious as to this particular statement you made. All I have to go off of is just this statement of yours, and don't know the full meaning or context of your assertion....With that said, are you sure, that... "religion is never self-serving...?" I 'think' I have a sense of what you were intending to say with that, but I don't want to assume anything here.

Hmmm... I am certainly interested in hearing more about your thoughts on your comment.

Peace...

January 2, 2011 at 3:36 pm |
    • Let Us Prey

@ Peace

HNY, Pleace. Hope your 'holidays,' in whatever form your prefer them, were pleasant. Re: my statement about religion being plied – I think I'll let the comment stand on it's own merit. As far as 'religion (not) being self-serving... Yes. That's my intention – exactly –

It may seem like an extreme, although brutally honest, thing to say, but I 'believe' it to be true. A true dichotomy, isn't it?

January 3, 2011 at 1:39 am |
    • Let Us Prey

* Peace

Considering I'm such a stickler....

January 3, 2011 at 1:44 am |
    • Peace2All

@Let Us Prey

Hey LUP...! Thanks for coming back and responding. I always find these discussions fascinating, where I am learning something. I love the mutual civil discourse. You seem to be into learning without doing the 'mud-slinging' that often goes on here, which I certainly appreciate.

O.K... again, I don't want to assume what I 'think' you meant, and without further elaboration on your part in your reply, I'll go ahead and take a shot as to how I viewed it, and you can let me know i'f i'm on the right track or not as to your meaning.

First off, I quoted your whole sentence, and the first part I am in agreement with you. If you took that i was in disagreement with you, from posting it, my apologies. I was interested in the part about 'religion is never self-serving.'

With that said...

So, If I denominalize the term 'religion' and take it from the abstract to the specifics, using your logical extrapolation, as in... 'religion' = 'tool,' we now have something tangible for discussion.

So, if I look at religion as a tool, which I already agreed with you in that sentence, then I conclude that it is 'not' about religion..... as religion, which is an intangible, is neutral. However, when you frame the concept of 'religion' = 'tool' ... then it comes down to the 'intentions' and 'actions' of the Human Beings using that 'tool.'

Therefore, Human Beings can be ...'self-serving.' And when you apply it that concept to Human Beings using religion, which is = to a 'tool'... then... we have 'religion' not being self-serving, but the intentions and actions of the people using the 'tool'...yes...?

With that kind of frame and concept, it also resolves the seeming... 'dichotomy' as well.

Well, if you make it back here, i am interested to see what you your thoughts are.

Peace...

@ Peace

January 3, 2011 at 1:39 am | Report abuse |
      Let Us Prey
      * Peace

Considering I'm such a stickler....

January 3, 2011 at 1:28 pm |
    • Peace2All

@Let Us Prey

*Apologies for not deleting the rest of the messages below my ending. They were there for me to look at as I was responding.

Peace...

January 3, 2011 at 1:33 pm |
    • Let Us Prey

@ Peace

Of course ! Another example... "guns don't kill people..." I've never (at least I can't remember in recent history) disagreed with the atheist objection to religion being used to grease specific political agendas; It's inarguable to any rational person. What I have said is that religion is just another lobby, no different from the NRA, unions, banks, etc.. in that it is used as an instrument of fund raising, consti-tuency building, etc. What I don't understand is why all these frothing atheists attack the legitimacy of religion in an effort to counter religion's political influences. It's an effort in futility to even attempt to argue against the rationality of religion, as religion by it's own definition of 'faith' is irrational.

But the atheist perception (and consequential fear) of religion uniquely shaping social policy is misplaced. People 'believe' what they will; it's our inherent nature as human beings. I believe in carrying a loaded handgun, and although I value the research and position statements of the NRA, I'm not compelled to vote for specific candidates based solely on their endorsements. I believe that unions and Federal enti-tlement programs serve a necessary purpose; I've seen the corruption and self-interest of unions, however I also recognize that corporations ain't saints either... thus the need for external safeguards like collective bargaining, Social Security, Medicare, etc.. Personal faith serves an individual need, and although folks may value certain 'religious' concepts, they are not mandated to apply religious proscriptions to their vote.

We all have free will, and some issues carry more weight than others on our respective personal agendas and we all vote accordingly. Sure – there are those that follow the 'letter of the religious law' to their vote at the expense of all other interests, but it's rash for atheists to presume that this is the rule rather that the exception of society. To be that dismissive of free will or the ability of our society to collectively grow beyond it's personal fear is just arrogant. Witness the FDR years (but save the conspiracies, thx.)

Atheists are making annoying and dysfunctional attempts at undermining the validity of faith-based community 'foundations' in an effort to marginalize the effect they have on public policy. Instead, they should be running candidates, maybe even on third party or independent tickets, who are proponents of – issues – that affect the public interest, rather than – personal attacks – on collective personality traits. Bankers are greedy. Politicians are dishonest. Believers are, what... gullible? Sanctimonious? So what! Deal with issues, not alleged personality disorders. Want to get an 'atheist' elected? Run 'em on a platform including term limits, ending corporate offshore job tax breaks, enforcing border security and safeguarding enti-tlement programs. Acknowledge any 'beliefs' as personal and focus on the issues. Bingo, you'll have an atheist in office.

January 5, 2011 at 2:56 am |
  14. Gary

tdu, you miss my point totally.

January 1, 2011 at 4:54 pm |
  15. geraldh

Americanno,

That's at CNN.

January 1, 2011 at 4:17 pm |
  16. Americanno

I'm sure others have expressed this but if there is going to be a belief blog, can there be a disbelief blog?

January 1, 2011 at 3:44 pm |
    • tdw

For many – this is the disbelief blog

By the way, disbelief is just just another form of belief

January 1, 2011 at 4:34 pm |
    • Gary

Americanno, As an agnostic my beliefs are dis belief. I know most religous fanatics are scared of science,doubters and open minded thinkers. belief blog would be very boring if agnostics and aethists did not participate.

January 1, 2011 at 5:11 pm |
    • Let Us Prey

@ Gary

" I know most religous fanatics are scared of science,doubters and open minded thinkers. "

Well, Gary – if you want to scare them then you should first learn how to spell 'religious.' Right now I think they're laughing at you. I know I am.

January 1, 2011 at 8:53 pm |
    • David

Thanks Americanno... I agree! I find this whole "Belief Blog" offensive. CNN is stooping low and pandering to the religious right in what is an obvious ratings game. Shame on you CNN.

January 2, 2011 at 11:05 pm |
    • Don

Disbelief is not a form of belief; it is not believing, not believing in not.

January 2, 2011 at 11:11 pm |
  17. Gary

Do not feel despair you religous fanatics. As long as there are exclusive religions believing in exclusive creators. Attacks,bombs,slayings,torture,terrorism will continue through time. The only chance of peace and understanding is to eradicate brainwashed religious weak minded idiots.

January 1, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
    • geraldh

Yes gary, great insight. Eradicate (kill) everyone who doesn't think like you and then there will be peace.

January 1, 2011 at 4:16 pm |
    • tdw

Uh - you mean lie Joseph Stalin? Or, Pol Pot, or Mao or Lenin. These people all had a vision for a nonreligious utopia.

January 1, 2011 at 4:35 pm |
    • Let Us Prey

@ Gary

Ja, mein Führer

You're a trip, kid.

January 1, 2011 at 8:56 pm |
    • PerfidiousIsrael

Amen Brother. What a peaceful world we would live in without some god to kill or die for. As far as the catholic pope, that pedarest-raping apologist should close down the vatican, auction off everything, and the proceeds would feed the entire third world for decades. On the lighter side; how do you get a nun pregnant? Dress her up as an latar boy!

January 1, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
    • Let Us Prey

latar boys? Latar Day Saints? See ya' latar? Yeah, I know... you were typing too fast.
      Watch an old movie called "The Shoes of the Fisherman" with Anthony Quinn. You might find it interesting.

January 1, 2011 at 10:57 pm |
    • Zephyr, AKA That First Guy

Suicide is never the answer Gary

January 2, 2011 at 4:11 am |
    • David Johnson

Do not despair Christians of Egypt! The Pope in safe in the Vatican. All is right with the world.

Remember, Jesus loves you! He will protect you against snakes and poisons. Unfortunately, He won't do a thing about bullets and bombs.

Take an extra helping of communion wafers my brothers! They will protect you against the infidels that would kill you.

In the event of attack, crawl under the pews or seek safety, behind the statue of the Blessed Virgin.

Cheers!