home
RSS
Arizona prayer walk
CNN I-Reporter Aaron Baer took this photo of a prayer walk at the Arizona state house Monday morning.
January 10th, 2011

Arizona prayer walk

Editor's Note: CNN I-Reporter Aaron Baer of Phoenix, Arizona brings us this report.

Baer works for Center for Arizona Policy, a non-profit organization in Phoenix. Every year his organization has a prayer walk at the start of the legislative session but said attendance was way up this year in light of the recent tragedy.

See the full I-Report here.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: United States • Violence

1. mesa plumbing and heating

Whats up very nice blog!! Guy .. Excellent .. Wonderful .. I'll bookmark your website and take the feeds additionally�I am happy to find a lot of useful information right here within the put up, we need develop extra strategies in this regard, thanks for sharing.

July 13, 2012 at 2:03 am |
  2. GSA

@Steve the real one – Actually I think both you and Bob are right. He is right that they could donate money or get their hands dirty and do a lot of good rather than praying for things to get better. You are right that they can choose what they want to do and it's their right.
    It's fun when everyone is right...especially since it happens so rarely in life, hehe.

January 12, 2011 at 2:27 pm |
  3. GSA

Good intentions but Bob is right, they could have spent the time/money on helping out in their community or donating to a good cause, volunteering their time and labor, etc.
    That being said, i'm wasting my time here at work posting on this blog when I could be out in the world doing good as well.

January 11, 2011 at 11:46 am |
    • Bob

There's a difference between having an obligation (ie, work) and choosing to go to a walk. I assume they're going to do the prayer walk to try and aid the community. I was just pointing out that a single pair of hands at work accomplishes more then a million in prayer.

January 11, 2011 at 12:04 pm |
    • Steve the real one

@GSA Bob is not right! Let people decide what to do with their own money, time, and effort!
      @ Bob, how about we just let them work AND pray!! That is now 1million and 1 pairs of hands (according to your math)!

January 11, 2011 at 3:53 pm |
    • Bob

Perhaps you should read my comment in context. I was saying that if they wanted to help, as the article said, they really should be doing something productive which furthers that goal. Prayer does not. Money does.

They're free to do what they want, of course, but I was pointing out that their efforts where their efforts could have been better spent.

January 12, 2011 at 10:39 am |
    • Steve the real one

Bob,

I fully read your comment in context. Who said all they did was pray? This article concerns a prayer walk! I am postive that is not all they did. Like I said work AND pray! Prayer works! I pray, yet I have a job! We are supposed to work and we are to pray as well! I just find it odd how atheists are telling Christians what to do with their time, money, and efforts! We really can excel in both, Bob!

January 12, 2011 at 4:14 pm |
  4. Leah

Come on people, live and let live. Believers and un believers alike.

This is something being done out of humanity and respect for the dead.

January 11, 2011 at 8:42 am |
    • Bob

No this is an act to deny that they're actually dead. They're in a cloudly theme park now with all the free corndogs you can eat. And the roller coasters never have lines. And you get 72 virgins.

Oh wait, that's another religion. And I suppose the corn dogs would have to be made of beef.

January 11, 2011 at 8:48 am |
    • Steve the real one

Bob, nothing like an all beef Nathan's! Heavenly!

January 11, 2011 at 3:55 pm |
  5. Reality

It is very important that respect for life and family groups like the Center for Arizona Policy take the needed steps to ensure that their members also respect the lives of those who disagree with them.

January 11, 2011 at 7:47 am |
    • Bob

Impossible. No one could disagree with their holy book which was written by undereducated men back 2000 years ago and randomly edited by the faithful over the history of the book. That's just crazy. How can you disagree with gems like these:

"Anyone who beats their male or female slave with a rod must be punished if the slave dies as a direct result, 21 but they are not to be punished if the slave recovers after a day or two, since the slave is their property."

I mean, if you're going to keep a slave, and should you decide to beat them within an inch of their life because you feel like it, make sure they live for a few days in agonizing pain, that way you are not to be punished.

Makes sense to me in this modern hustle and bustle world.

January 11, 2011 at 8:29 am |
    • Steve the real one

Bob,
      You are somewhat correct. These undereducated men were merely the scribes! The author was the Holy Spirit. Something overly educated men have a hard time understanding! You guys KEEP quoting the Old Testament which is NOT Christian at all. It is JEWISH or HEBREW! Until you know the difference you will always struggle with it! OT= 10 commandments, NT took the ten and boiled them down to 2 commandments! Love God with all your heart, mind, soul, and strength and love your neighbor as your self.

January 11, 2011 at 3:48 pm |
    • Bob

> You guys KEEP quoting the Old Testament which is NOT Christian at all.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.... gasp pant wheeze.... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Jesus answered them, “Is it not written in your Law, ‘I have said you are “gods”’. If he called them ‘gods,’ to whom the word of God came—and Scripture cannot be set aside—

So, Jesus confirms the scripture. The old testament is Christian.

See how actually reading the bible actually works?

January 12, 2011 at 10:36 am |
    • Steve the real one

Bob

> You guys KEEP quoting the Old Testament which is NOT Christian at all.
      BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.... gasp pant wheeze.... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
      So, Jesus confirms the scripture. The old testament is Christian.
      See how actually reading the bible actually works?
      -----------–
      Chuckle, chuckle, snort, snort!
      !.. The Old Testament predates the Christian Church!
      2. Jesus, a Jew (NOT CHRISTIAN) is quoting Hebrew text to whom? The Jews!
      3. The Christian church was not even started until Pentacost, when the Holy Spirit was given (After Christ) in the New TESTAMENT book of Acts!
      4. In Fact, the term Christian first appears in the Books of ACTS, again after Christ!
      5. Gentiles were really not added into the Church, until Paul and once again after Christ
      6. Christians did not exist during the OLD TESTAMENT! Thus, it is NOT Christian but Hebrew!
      7. I do see how actually reading the Bible works, You are just doing so without spiritual understanding! !

January 12, 2011 at 4:06 pm |
  6. doctore0

Talk to yourself walk

January 11, 2011 at 4:27 am |
  7. Maynard G. Krebs

Where is the Belief Blog on Fred Phelps and his attempt to bring religion to the funeral of that little girl?

January 11, 2011 at 2:31 am |
    • Steve the real one

Religion is EXACTLY right!!. Phelps has nothing to do with Christ Jesus! But it is religion indeed! Thanks for helping me my the point!

January 11, 2011 at 3:39 pm |
  8. Gary

Mark from middle river ...quite the opposite. I do not want this horrible tragedy to hinder the progress made by Arizonians and Texans on boarder patrol. ....

January 11, 2011 at 12:38 am |
  9. Rev. Raymond Brown

I'm seggesting that we plan a march on washington against crime in America. If you would like to join me or make a donation to our march please contact me at: leaderbrown@yahoo.com. I pray that congresswoman Giffords make a full recovery in the name of our lord and savior Jesus Christ Aman! yours truly Rev. Raymond Brown.

January 10, 2011 at 10:52 pm |
    • Bob

That's an excellent idea. Your march will let politicians know that americans are definitely against random shootings, because this clearly has escaped them.

Armed with their newfound knowledge, they'll enact the "never have random shootings again" act, which somehow, via magic I suppose, makes all the crazy people not want to buy guns and turn themselves in to mental health professionals. Then, empowered by the prayers of your group, God will personally come down and vote on the act.

Of course, another alternative to that is that you take the people who were going to march, take the cash they would have spent and then use that to feed and give clothes to the homeless. Or toys to sick children in hosptials. You know, a meaningful act in memory of this horrible event.

You know, that way something positive comes out of it.

January 11, 2011 at 8:19 am |
    • NL

Bob-
      So, you see gun toting crazies as just some force of nature that we are completely powerless to control in any way?

January 11, 2011 at 8:29 am |
    • Bob

With the current state of gun laws and lack of regulation on gun store owners? Yes.

January 11, 2011 at 8:50 am |
    • Nonimus

Is there anyone openly 'for' crime in America?
      Must someone march to counter the pro-crime movement?

January 11, 2011 at 10:15 am |
  10. NM

please check out http://www.islamicsolutions.com/11-reasons-to-explore-islam/

January 10, 2011 at 9:53 pm |
    • Mark From Middle River

Why? If you can not tell us in your own words.... On another thread.. Why should we go to some outside website to hear anothers scripted words?

Sorry NM, this a pretty educated and opininated blog here... On both sides. There are no weak minds that can be swayed by a website here. Folks do not come to a blog to really change their core beliefs but to either blast at their enemies or attempt to work towards coexistance.

January 10, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
    • Bob

Yep, I know if I was going to follow someone, it'd be a person who kept slaves, married young girls and who exterminated colonies of jews "to raise morale of the men".

Such a virteous and kind person.

January 11, 2011 at 8:52 am |
  11. Gary

Tragedy in Arizona, I am so sorry for the families. We need to keep things in perspective. We need to stay diligent on illegal aliens, boarders,language and culture.

January 10, 2011 at 8:56 pm |
    • Mark From Middle River

Gary, while I agree none of those you eluded to described this shooter so does it really have anything to do with this topic?

Or are you just using this tragity to highligh or piggyback some totally separate issue in society that you felt that we are not paying enough attention to?

January 10, 2011 at 10:10 pm |
  12. Mark From Middle River

Sounds like a good non-violent group. Thanks for the heads up Reality 🙂

January 10, 2011 at 6:33 pm |
    • Steve (the real one)

Mark,
      i would agree. iI would also include them standing for what they believe and not forcing themselves on anyone. Reality, why is her pay any matter? I am sure the board of directors have no issue with it! Why would you?

January 10, 2011 at 7:16 pm |
    • Reality

Personally, I am a firm believer in the respect for human life in all our forms but there are simply too many groups in this important arena and money that should be going for se-x and family education is being spent on way too many CEOs and directors of redundant non-profit groups.

January 11, 2011 at 12:42 am |
    • Steve the real one

@reality, so who gets the opportunity to cut some of these groups out, you or me? I should be ready with my list in about 2-3 weeks and that is IF I start working on it today!

January 11, 2011 at 4:15 pm |
  13. Reality

More about the Center of Arizona Policy:

"Cathi Herrod, CAP president, said this about having Palin speak during her organization’s event: “She’s the most sought-after speaker in America today. She’s a trailblazer for the conservative movement: She’s an articulate, pro-life, pro-family woman who stands for her values and doesn’t back down.”

January 10, 2011 at 6:26 pm |
    • Bob

Articulate? Obviously she's never met the women when she's been asked a question that requires a grain of thought.

In a debate between Sarah Palin and a deaf, blind and retarded child, I'd have to give the edge to the child. As Mark Twain said... "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

January 11, 2011 at 8:08 am |
  14. Reality

Always good to get some information on the topic group, in this case the Center for Arizona Policy.

Their Mission Statement (excuse the all-caps but that is how guidestar.org has it presented)

TO FACILITATE THE EXCHANGE OF IDEAS PERTINENT TO THE STRENGTHENING OF FAMILIES OF THE STATE OF ARIZONA THROUGH THE DEVELOPMENT OF THE PUBLIC POLICY. THE CENTER FOR ARIZONA POLICY DOES THIS BY PROTECTION AND DEFENDING THE FAMILY THROUGH INFLUENCING POLICY, COMMUNICATING TRUTH, AND EQUIPPING CITIZENS TO PROMOTE TIMELESS FAMILY VALUES.

Cathi Herrod, the President of CAP, makes a "cool" $169,000+/yr. Good money to be made in prayer, breakfasts and family values.

And from their website:

"CAP is excited to announce that Dr. James Dobson will be the keynote speaker for our CAP Family Dinner on April 2. Plan now to join us for this "can't-miss" event!"

January 10, 2011 at 6:15 pm |
    • Let Us Prey

Aw, geez, Reality. Give it a rest. How many of the people walking around do you think are simply showing their support for the shooting victims? Or are they all involved in the same massive theo-political conspiracy?

Try to keep some perspective, will ya?

January 10, 2011 at 8:40 pm |
    • Bob

@Reality
      So what if she makes 169,000 a year. That's nothing for a president of a non-profit organization. If you look at Red Cross senior management payrolls you'll see about the same.

What I found distrubing about this article is that the government allowed this to occur on public land. I doubt the same offer would be Muslims or Hindus. Plus, why does it matter where you prey? Isn't God everywhere? What's the purpose of preying in a specific location?

What I find funny is that if the 200+ people put in a day of work instead of prayer, they could have probably set up a very nice support package for the families of the victims. Instead they get well wishes and good intentions.

A better question to ask is why a being with an IQ of 8,000,000 would want people to mindlessly say the same prayer over and over and over. I mean, what good is it going to do.

God: Well, I don't want to, but Johnny's cancer is in stage 4 as I designed. I'll have to take his life.
      Family Member: Our father, who art in heaven, hallowed by thy name...
      God: Good point random family member, I'll have him recover miraculously.

When do we start to realize prayer for what it is? A magical incantation that makes people feel like things are in order and gives them an outlet to "do something" when in reality, they're at the mercy of the situation.

January 11, 2011 at 8:04 am |
    • Frogist

@Reality: Hmmm Another religious organization influencing public policy to enforce their "family values". Nothing to be nervous about, surely!
      @Let Us Prey: Yes, many people who showed up yesterday will be there because of the violence. But this group showed up long before this. Their purpose obviously wasn't to show support for the shooting victims.

January 11, 2011 at 9:42 am |
    • Steve the real one

@Frogist nothing to worry about that is unless you consider the ACLU or other anti religion, liberal group! Now THAT is something to worry about! Good thing the ACLU is not trying to influence public policy, right?

January 11, 2011 at 4:02 pm |