home
RSS
January 21st, 2011

Ricky Gervais says atheism shouldn't offend

Ricky Gervais tells CNN's Piers Morgan why he's an atheist, and why his jokes about God shouldn't offend believers.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Atheism • Belief • TV

1. Muneef

Bismillah al rahman al rahim

The Arabic phrase shown above is pronounced as  Bismillah ir-Rahman ir-Rahim, and is a beautifully poetic phrase which offers both deep insight and brilliant inspiration. It has often been said that the phrase Bismillah ir-Rahman ir-Rahim contains the true essence of the entire Qur'an, as well as the true essence of all religions.
    Muslims often say this phrase when embarking on any significant endeavor, and the phrase is considered by some to be a major pillar of Islam. This expression is so magnificent and so concise that all but one chapter of the Qur'an begins with the words Bismillah ir-Rahman ir-Rahim.
    The common translation:
                   "In the name of God, most Gracious, most Compassionate".
    fails to capture either the true depth of meaning or the inspirational message of this beautiful phrase. So, let's look deeper into the meaning of these wonderful words.

January 27, 2011 at 8:43 pm |
  2. Evolved DNA

Louise Dotter.. I agree with you 100%, but if you ignore some of what is going on some religions will take advantage of that and will prevent you from exactly the things you enjoy.. Cigarettes will be banned, as a woman you will be restricted in you freedom and may not be allowed out side to see the moon rise, or catch a snowflake, dogs are considered dirty and would be shunned. You will most likely be allowed to get cancer as death is more of a priority than life according to some.

January 27, 2011 at 6:36 pm |
    • LoriDD

@Evolved, I think you are aka: CW, or you need to get on some serious antidrepresants. Feel better soon!

February 1, 2011 at 11:41 pm |
  3. Annette

What a great person Ricky Gervais is! I love the way he explained atheism : )
    He is just brilliant to listen to. LOVE YA RICKY!!

January 27, 2011 at 1:20 am |
  4. Louise Dotter

OMG! I've got cancer and I'm going to die an atheist. I'm going to hell! Oh, on second thought that's ok – at least I can smoke there! LIGHTEN UP PEOPLE. Life is too short – go out and catch a snowflake on your tongue, watch the moon rise, pat a dog, help an old lady cross the street. LIVE your life and quit all the "mucky mucky" intellectualizing!

January 27, 2011 at 1:16 am |
    • LoriDD

Uh Oh – I think Louise Dotter is aka: Ricky Gervais! You are funny! And I hope you don't have cancer!!!

February 1, 2011 at 11:38 pm |
  5. Muneef

Shouldn't offend:

You know am really found of the Native American Red Indian Stories about how when the Tribes moving as nomads after Seasonal Pasture and Foods or as in exodus to diffrent lands ! It is told that they carried the elderly on their backs and not only for being a close or far Relative ! But any elderly for the Wisdom,Experience,Practice and knowledge ! They have not neglected them or Left Them Behind as a Liability or Junk? Was it all that or Some Thing Else overseen? Could it have been as well that what you do others they will do You in Return when you become an elder !? Would Think it is for all in as One Package ! Which as well wonder if any thing about that as morals towards the Tribes that we call today community in the modern world ?! Seen about Parents in Holy Books as a Start ?!
    Now let us have a cloose look at modern man or say Politics Today where you drop all that behind and do as Personal Interests with out any commitment verbal or written Just Buy and Sell at Sale they Trade with the Fate,Faith and destiny of World and New Worlds Nations and that is why no conflict ever settled among nations but getting even worse and Modern Prophets of Inspiration and Knowldge Remind and Warn of World Food and Waters about  Famine in the world and the need for working agianst that otherwise nations would become as Live Zombies eating each other flesh. Most investments go in favour of Bueaty products and consumer products more than natural farm foods rather than artificial foods and soon with the drop of dairy farms all will become artificial just as was the case of Chinese Powder Milk ? Or should we say Baby Powder Milk ?
    OMG Even our foods are day by day became more artificial to face increasing market demand rather than increasing farm lands and production globally to assist avoiding the famine and that way they created jobs, hopes and fed with out being effected by global changes as a hungry man is an angry man ! And that could mean even hunger for more than foods it becomes what is happening worldwide today country after another falling a part and conflicts of rebels of self interest or foreign interests ! Here comes the market place a black red market place where even human organs gangs take place among others with vast interests or reasons into conflict never ends,where people just disapear with unknown fate and no explanation or trace but when found in mass graves it is untold if were missing any organs ? Or eye lens since that was said stolen in Israel from the dead either of Army or Citizens in conflicts ?
    Any way the morals is man oaths or country's oaths towards others and not just self interest and trade with commitments and obligations ! Not sure if that as well fell to become according to international market price in supply and demand ?!
    Which means as nations we have closed and isluated because of not being open to each other due fualts of either faiths or politics what fate await the Two Sons Of Adam When one, i should say the disbleiver  killed the other say the believer ? As one said we all were the sons of the killer who remained alive and that's why crime evel run in the blood of man and only submission controls and train those evil bloods or DNA or what ever connection between both in shaping man inner soul and inner of flesh and bone !? Mankind is becoming increasingly sick in deterioration physically,spiritually and Soul ?! Who is there to cure you other than God ? The doctors,medicine and equipment's ? Or a Heavenly Miracle would save you ?!   Yes that sort of Miracle is the force and the only force in our existence, that we are obliged to kneel for !?

January 26, 2011 at 8:59 pm |
    • BL

Total BS and complete fantasy.. There's no god, there's no plan, there's no heaven, there's no hell. There's only right here and now.

February 4, 2011 at 1:52 pm |
  6. Muneef

Read sura 02:261 to 281 speaks of us-u-r-y and damages to society as to what Quan says about is...important...

January 26, 2011 at 8:30 pm |
  7. Muneef

Shouldn't offend:

Just had a clips of vision passing my mind under the warm shower waters ! Strange but interesting to see it as as a full picture painting. Clips were;
    -A Clip of US America as a big Christmas Tree firm on Earth,Decorated with bulbs and fairies which resembled to me being the American Population of Every Faith,Belief and Nation (Race).. The Boxes of Presents and Gifts and the Tree as to being the Charities and Gifts of the Fruiting Tree to its Nations and needy World Nations.
    -A Clip of the Eagle Flying,Protecting and Nesting on the Colorful Twinkling lights Christmas Tree...
    -A Clip of a Man Standing Stretching his Arm in Glove Calling the Eagle to Rest on on his Arm ??
    Not sure if the Eagle is a Free willed Eagle or or a Captive Trained Eagle that is Blind Folded and only let loose his sight only when there is a Game Catch to Captive??!

Sorry fellows unintentionally ugly but all we can say is only God knows what is Real and what is False...! May we with sincere give a prayers from deep in our inner hearts,souls praising and gracing the Mighty God and beg for peace of our hearts and consciences.Pray may our leaders find peace and prosperity for their nations to live decently and satisfactory..? Say prayers for all good people dead or alive known or unknown...? Pray for the Starving Elderly and Young Children,women and men?Prayers in heart for what ever crosses your mind and wish all people well and neglect hatred as a Spark of which drive to Extreme Hatred... By doing and saying that we actually doing good deeds and returns of which come to ease your path in life...
    A one Good Deed is considered like a grain of wheat that you saw and grows back to give you more Grains of Wheat...?

January 26, 2011 at 7:25 pm |
  8. Muneef

" the son of Adam grows old, but two things remain young in him:
    1.Greed for wealth
    2.Hope for a longer life.
    [Bukhari and Muslim]

Ibn Umar narrates: one day I was with the Messenger of Allah (Sal Allahu Alayhi wa Sallam). He then turned to me, held my shoulders with both of his blessed hands, and said: “Be in this life like a stranger or a traveler.”

And whenever Ibn Umar narrated this to his students he would add: “If you reach the evening, do not await (to be alive) by dawn, And if you reach dawn, do not await (to be alive) by evening. Take advantage of your Health before you fall sick. And take advantage of your life, before you die.” – Bukhari

"Life is nothing other than a road,that leads to the Garden,or to the fire. Its night's are man's workshop, and its days are his market place, so time is surely the servants capital."

"My Lord, enable me to be grateful for Your favor which You have bestowed upon me and upon my parents and to do righteousness of which You approve. And admit me by Your mercy into [the ranks of] Your righteous servants." [27:19]
    "Laughing Faces Do Not Mean That There Is Absence Of Sorrow !
    But It Means That They Have The Ability To Deal With It."
    Razina Bint Habib

January 25, 2011 at 8:00 pm |
  9. SJ

Interesting interview. There are many famous brilliant people in history who had a strong belief in God and the Bible, including Scientists such as; Copernicus, Kepler, Galileo, Descartes, Isaac Newton, and Gregor Mendel. And Albert Einstein was quoted as saying, "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." These were brilliant men who were at the forefront of science and still acknowledged God as the creator of the universe.

January 25, 2011 at 4:44 pm |
    • Evolved DNA

SJ.. These men were brilliant, and knew not to cross the church which of course was very intolerant of opposing views as it cast dispersions on its power . As history and science has "proved" the church views were totally incorrect. As per Einstien he did not believe in personal god, but said he was a religious non believer.. so I do not think that he believed for one minute that god was the creator.

January 25, 2011 at 6:17 pm |
    • wsome001

@ Evolved:

See my post above. You make a rather one-sided argument that really applies to both sides. You say "As history and science has "proved" the church views were totally incorrect."

Yeah that's true. But you could rearrange that sentence as follows: "As history and science has "proved" the science views were totally incorrect."

And that would be true too. Religion does not own the market on making monumental blunders, so why do Christians get singled out?

Let me tell you what I see – I see a collective of believers in science that treat their "facts" the same way Christians treat their Bible. They are defensive, argumentative, bickering, squabbling, and continuously trying to make sure everyone agrees with them. They feel high and mighty because their god – scientific evidence – is somehow better than the other god. They worship "information," and just like Puritans, they form government and policy around it. They are as political, tyrannical, and manipulative as Christians are.

Get off your High Science Horse. You are just like them.

January 25, 2011 at 7:27 pm |
    • Evolved DNA

wsome001
      The important statement you mentioned was that science has proved science wrong. Religion did not determine that. Science is self correcting, and will always be searching for answers.. whereas Christianity, and most major religions believe they have the truth.. end of story. Their answers are in a book, that is immutable . I see science looking for answers for cancer and the many horrible diseases that in infect our bodies, which is odd as we were designed? Science is merely a way to understand our world, and so far it has been the best tool we have for that. It has unfortunately it contradicted a lot of what was written in the holy books...evolution, cosmology, etc.. As you mentioned above science 'believes' that there are electrons, but the forces can be felt by all , and measured., and the effects determined. God is in the realm of the supernatural, so either the supernatural touches our world or it does not...if it does it must leave some physical trace, or if it does not what use is it to us? Even the most fleeting of sub atomic particles leave a trace.. as you must know..
      I get the feeling you are an agnostic.. not ready to really commit to one idea. ?

January 25, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
    • Corbijn

Why do Christians try to argue Einstein? I believe the first & last argument that has to do with Einstein's belief in Christ was the fact that he was Jewish.

January 30, 2011 at 12:47 pm |
  10. Rick

I'd believe in Jesus if I could see him. But I can't because apparently he's invisible. Ask a Christian where Jesus is and they can't point him out either because he's invisible to them too. So here's what I think. Since Jesus is invisible, chances are he's imaginary. And since he's imaginary, that means he's not real. Therefore, I don't believe in him.

January 25, 2011 at 1:48 pm |
    • wsome001

have you ever seen a black hole? Sadly, they don't emit light in the visible spectrum, so no human has ever seen one. Sure, we have "machines" that can see them, but then again, those were built by humans with the sole purpose of looking at something that's invisible. In other words, we couldn't see them, but we imagined they should be there, so we then built a device that we think can see them.

Granted, there's lots and lots of reasons to believe they are there – physical evidences that point to it, scientific correlation from other effects, etc... etc... But I would wager that people who believe in Jesus would say the same thing – lots of evidence, although no way to ever see the truth with your own eyes.

Now don't mistake me – I am a physicist. I believe that the discovery of black holes is an accurate finding. My point is simply that humans tend to categorize faith and science as totally separate and distinct, but they blend more than you might think.

If you need tangible proof of anything, forget it. Science is more a collection of evidence than anything, it is rarely proof. So don't be so scared to accept things that you can't offer real proof for, or your entire basis for thought will collapse.

January 25, 2011 at 1:56 pm |
    • Evolved DNA

wsome1
      You cannot be really saying that there is as much evidence for Jesus or God that there is for black holes.. I think science as a matter of course will not say for sure that it has proved anything, but if the evidence is overwhelming it makes the existence almost a certainly. I would be very interested in hearing the peer reviewed evidence for god.

January 25, 2011 at 6:14 pm |
    • wsome001

@Evolved:

No, I am not making some kind of effort to compare the database of Black Hole evidence to the database of Jesus evidence. Perhaps you misunderstood the point.

The point is, we as scientists still rely on a certain kind of "faith" that really isn't that different from religionists. We have lots of good reasons to believe that what we are doing is right, and accurate – a true representation of things as they really are. But the history of science shows that we are wrong more often than not. Frequently, our premises are not complete bunk, but they are woefully incomplete. Still, it is not uncommon for the human race to believe in complete bunk for many, many years.

This doesn't discredit science. It doesn't mean we give up and quit trying to figure stuff out. It just means that we operate under the belief that what we are doing has purpose, even if we are frequently wrong. It means that we have some faith in things that we can't see or know for sure, betting that our efforts to uncover truth will yeild results.

But on a fundamental level, this in really no different of an approach than religion, at least philisophically. So why do we get on a Christian's case for believing things that they cannot prove? I don't usually find Christians to be getting on my case because no one has ever, or will ever see an electron. Seems like a double standard to me.

The only real thing I condemn is close-mindedness. Christians (IMO) should have a mindframe that encourages learning and acceptance of ongoing discovery and new information. And scientists should accept the fact that we just don't know everything, and many of our most stable premises may still be false.

January 25, 2011 at 7:17 pm |
  11. wsome001

Sometimes I believe that some atheists will be better of than Christians when we go to face God. It's one thing to say "yeah, I didn't believe you existed, I never learned about you, my biggest mistake in life was skepticism and perhaps an overly strong reliance on modern science." But I believe I would rather have to confess that to God than "yeah, I knew all about you, I believed in you, I knew all along you were there and watching, and I still treated people like dirt. Especially those atheists. Darn nuisance, aren't they, huh, God? Gee, I am sure glad I am so much better than them. So glad I am a chosen and special soul and they are worthless fodder to be cast down. I am sooo glad that I accepted you, so that my pride, disdain for other humans, and overall hatred and failure to be Christ-like at all doesn't matter.

Yes, I believe in God. I believe he is just and fair. So in this case, I say the atheist is more likely to inherit a state of happiness than the Christian. I don't think any amount of doctrine or scripture quotes is going to change my mind on this one, so don't bother.

January 25, 2011 at 1:36 pm |
  12. Disinterested

Watching this clip and seeing the subsequent discussion in the comments section makes me laugh. Gervais goes to considerable lengths to say that religion, Christianity specifically, doesn't own good. He says that he treats people well, that he doesn't mock people who have their own beliefs, etc. But yet, when you look at the comments, you see atheists cheering "Way to go, Ricky! You showed those moronic Christians!"

The irony is that this clip is about how he doesn't need religion to do good to people, and then the people below claiming to be like-minded bashing Christians. Does he explain exactly how you all feel? Cause based on your comments, I'm not convinced.

And before someone says "oh, it's just another Christian upset because someone is intellectually superior and has chosen atheism," two things: don't assume atheism implies intelligence and don't assume I'm a Christian either. I just believe that atheism isn't a free hall pass to be a dick to someone.

January 25, 2011 at 1:33 pm |
    • wsome001

I couldn't agree more. I take your position exactly. Of course, the same goes in reverse. Being a Christian shouldn't give you a hall pass to treat others horribly either.

The real issue is that people are so stuck on the idea that they have to be right, and they have to make sure everyone else knows they're right. Which is lame, because I doubt that anyone has ever really been right. Science has proved itself mistake or incomplete time and time again, and religions have proved themselves to be the artifices of men and vile deceptions over and over again.

So this whole "I'm right and you're wrong, I'm smart, you're stupid, blah blah, neener, neener" is pretty short-sighted of both Christians and Atheists. I suspect one of these days they with both find out they are at least as wrong as they are right.

January 25, 2011 at 1:41 pm |
  13. CatholicMom

S. Anity,
    A strange occurance...but most likely not a miracle...my post above did not post as written! It excluded the part I suggested to leave off. I will try to 'sneak' it in one/more/time/exclude/(youtube=/and the/)/on/the/end.

January 25, 2011 at 10:03 am |
  14. c free

I really don't appreciate how they will use someone like RG as the athiest on cnn then the Christian spokesman is Joel Osteen!!!...I just watched both videos back to back....Ricky comes off as intelligent...even though he clearly doesn't understand Christianity....at all...he was never a christian as he claims...he is not good even if he is "good to other people" his jokes alone are evil and offensive...while Joel Osteen sounds confused and unfit for ministry.....its rather embarrassing to watch...

January 24, 2011 at 5:28 pm |
    • Eric G.

Bitter.............table for one...............Bitter.............your table is ready!!!!!

January 24, 2011 at 6:17 pm |
    • HisOwn

Mark said:
      Mark from Middle River

C.W. –

As a Christian I do worry when folks come right out and declare with an apparent glee to throw around the term that another is "going to ...."

Yes, we can say we will be saddened but in some ways I think that is not being totally truthful. In some ways I think Judgment day might mess a lot of the faithful up because of how angry and upset they will be when someone or some group that they did not think was going to receive God's grace of an eternal afterlife receives it. You talk of how we think the atheist might not make it, imagine how shocked some of us might be when we are in Heaven's orientation and sitting to the left of us is a Muslim and to the right is a Jew, or even a Sheik. I hear more fighting within the faiths that on let alone all Christians not totally lockstep in our beliefs but just between other folks of faith.

I say this because recently I hear Muslims saying it about us Non-Muslims and I have, throughout my life, heard one denomination saying it about another. I can't wait until the ones from the Protestants and Catholics from Ireland get to judgement day. The thing is that we as the faithful need to be very careful because going around saying this person or that person is going to burn. Sure to be sitting here there is some temple, mosque or church that is saying the same thing to me. This is why I just worry about my path to God. Just as a simple traveler on a road. If you want to walk my path then ok, if you do not I can not waste too much time hoot and hollering about your or anyone's choice.

Truthfully I do not want anyone to burn, I want them to find their way to God. Reality, claims he is a agnostic. If he believes there is something there then cool, I can't waste that much of my time on it.

But try this. I have spoken with a few agnostics and some say they feel something is out there but they can not or will not define that. What if that is enough... C.W. could you handle it at Judgment day if Reality made it to Heaven?

Wow Mark! I love your presentation of thoughts. Very well said, and something for ALL to think on. I have decided myself, that I will say what I believe, and leave it there, as well.
      I think if one wants to believe there is no God, that is his right. If one is Christian (I am) thats his right also. People are ent-i-t-led to believe what they want.
      I can remember a time when I as well, with good intent, tried to persuade people to my side. I have learned that is not the way to do thiings. I respect all PEOPLES opinions, even if I disagree.
      I admire how you said in such a short few sentences, something so very true:

I quote you:
      h
      What words of wisdom, these are. Thank you for posting your personal thougts, they have blessed my soul.
      I do hope we can all live in a peaceful manner, and respect others. Love amongst all people is the greatest thing any of us can do.

Thanks Again, Mark!

Btw..If you don't mind me asking, are you "MiddleRiver" as in the state of Md? Just curious, as I grew up in that area. Inverness/North Point section/

January 24, 2011 at 7:26 pm |
    • S. Anity

My philosophy professor used to get upset about people's casual use of the word "absolutely". How can anything be absolute? How can one have that degree of certainty about anything? "It's in the Bible" isn't an answer. "He was never a christian as he claims". How the 'ell do YOU know? Is he a personal friend? And on the other side of the aisle, someone in here said "miracles NEVER occur". How do you have such absolute certainty? Couldn't there be a black swan somewhere? Now if it were said that there is no irrefutable evidence and certainly no replicable experimental study to show that miracles DO occur, therefore I believe that they do not – well, that I could accept. Absolute certainty on either side of the aisle is intellectually dishonest. The most dangerous mind is the closed mind.

January 24, 2011 at 7:27 pm |
    • CatholicMom

S. Anity,
      Phenomenon/Miracle?

January 25, 2011 at 9:52 am |
    • CatholicMom

S. Anity,
      It appears that CNN is not allowing our youtube videos to be viewed by a click any longer. Copy and paste…start at the http…leaving off the [youtube= , and the ] on the end.

January 25, 2011 at 9:58 am |
    • HotAirAce

Peirs claims to be a believer – I christian I think – would have to watch Ricky Gervais interview again to be sure. If your man looked goofy and Ricky did not, I suggest it has more to do with the interviewee than the interviewer or CNN.

January 25, 2011 at 12:07 pm |
  15. jjezd

Religion is one powerful drug, as such, churches should be restricted to those 21 and over. I'm an athiest, a good person, and unlike xtians, I can spell.

January 24, 2011 at 4:49 pm |
    • Steve the real one

Well, Thank God spelling is not a requirement to Heaven, or the things of God, while I am here on Earth. If it were I wouldn't make it! Sadly, your excellent spelling skills won' help you in eternity!

January 24, 2011 at 4:58 pm |
    • John

Um...that's ATHEIST, not athiest. 🙁

January 25, 2011 at 2:21 am |
  16. Rendy

God is alive, and listening

January 24, 2011 at 3:07 pm |
  17. bill

Remember Man made god to explain what he/she did not know or could not explain,
    and to over see the people who were ruled. We now know and can explain many things including life. Its all in your mind.

January 24, 2011 at 2:09 pm |
  18. Jeff

I'm a non-practicing atheist.

January 24, 2011 at 12:41 pm |
    • civiloutside

But if you don't practice, how do you expect to get really good at it? 😛

January 24, 2011 at 2:26 pm |
    • Nonimus

So if Atheists are condemned to hell
      do non-practicing Atheists go to heaven?

January 24, 2011 at 5:42 pm |
    • Eric G.

Well, this practicing atheist goes to Happy Hour!

January 24, 2011 at 9:31 pm |
  19. Muneef

Who is your Qareen?

January 24, 2011 at 12:11 pm |
    • Muneef

What is Qareen?

January 24, 2011 at 12:21 pm |
    • Evolved DNA

Life makes so much more sense when you think for yourself. You are first and foremost a
      human, we look forward to your arrival into the 21 century..

January 24, 2011 at 1:45 pm |
    • Muneef

Well Seems you consider all believers as back behind the 21 century ?? Because the believe in the unseen??

Do not want to bore you but want you to think it over;;;

Qareen (Companion);
      What is a Qareen? A shaytaan, a devil, assigned to someone to mislead and misguide him. Someone to whisper to him in the light of day and the darkness of night. Allah says:
      وَمَن يَعْشُ عَن ذِكْرِ الرَّحْمَنِ نُقَيِّضْ لَهُ شَيْطَاناً فَهُوَ لَهُ قَرِينٌ
      Translation: And whoever is blinded from remembrance of Ar-Rahman, we appoint for him a qareen, and he is to him a companion. [Surah Az-Zukhruf, verse 36]
      Why is this important? You should know that you have an enemy; someone who’s always watching you, taking notes on you, recording what you do; his goal is to mislead you and misguide you and drag you into the Hellfire. That’s his full-time job, no vacation time and no breaks! Subhanallah! The Prophet says:
      مَا مِنْكُمْ مِنْ أَحَدٍ إِلَّا قَدْ وُكِّلَ بِهِ قَرِينُهُ قَالوا: وَأنتَ يَا رَسُولَ الله؟ قَالَ نَعَمْ، إِلَّا أَنَّ اللهَ أَعَانَنِي عَلَيْهِ فَأَسْلَمَ، فَلَا يَأْمُرُنِي إِلَّا بِخَيْ
      Translation: The Messenger of Allah once told his companions: Everyone of you has been assigned a companion from the Jinn. They asked: Even you, O Messenger of Allah! He replied: Yes, except that Allah has helped me against him, fa aslam. Now he only tells me to do good. [Saheeh Muslim]
      What does fa aslam mean? Scholars give it two meanings. One meaning is that the Prophet’s (صلى الله عليه و سلم) qareen became Muslim. Imam Nawawi and other scholars say, it means the Prophet (صلى الله عليه و سلم) was protected from his qareen.
      Does this mean we, too, can make du’a and give da’wah to our qareen and try to make him or her Muslim? Unfortunately, scholars say it’s specific to the Prophet (صلى الله عليه و سلم).
      So what’s the conclusion? Know you have an enemy. Recognize it. And struggle against it; because the one who has an enemy and struggles and overcomes him is better then one who has no enemy and is just “ok.” Think about it! For every waswasa you turn away, you get a hassanah. For every sin you change your mind on, Allah credits you a good deed. For every sin you commit, you can repent, and scholars say the one who sins and repents is better than the one who never sinned.
      So brighten up! Allah appointed you a qareen, yes; but this is a great and wonderful opportunity for you to attain mountains of deeds! Allahu akbar!
      May Allah (سبحانه وتعالى) allow us to overcome our qareens and become people of Jannah, ameen!
      References
      Waleed Basyouni. Lecture. AlMaghrib. Rays of Faith.

January 24, 2011 at 6:41 pm |
    • Muneef

After you have been driven by your Qareen if you had no control over or challenge it, then that day after life when we are gathered read what will happen;

The Day when secrets will be put on trial, Then man will have no power or any helper. [Verses 9-10]
      That’s where we are going — resurrection on a day when all the secrets will be exposed publicly, on a day when we will have no strength, no power, and nobody to help us.
      Everyone stands alone on that day.
      We discussed prior verses about the day when graves will be dumped open, and that hearts will be peeled; here, we see another aspect — secrets will be exposed publicly.
      Ibn Katheer mentions in his tafseer a hadith from Bukhari and Muslim regarding this verse:
      Narrated Ibn ‘Umar: The Prophet said, “For every betrayer (perfidious person), a flag will be raised on the Day of Resurrection, and it will be announced (publicly) ‘This is the betrayal (perfidy) of so-and-so, the son of so-and-so.’” [Recorded in Bukhari here, here, here, and here with slight variations.]
      Imagine that! That person who you betrayed secretly, whom nobody saw you plan against … that day, not only will it be publicly announced in front of the entire human race that you did so, but to make sure that people know who’s being mentioned, you’ll have a big flag pointing you out.
      That’s Allah–the one who sees everything, hears everything, and knows everything, down to the most minute, unimaginably small level. And that is the day that we should prepare for, a day that has no doubt in it.
      Thus, tafseer of Surah Tariq.
      References:
      Touched by an Angel: Tafseer of Juz ‘Amma. By Muhammad Alshareef. 2009.
      Tafsir ibn Katheer: Summarized Version. At-Tariq. 2009.

January 24, 2011 at 6:57 pm |
    • Evolved DNA

Maneef..Most believers and atheists are harmless, and offer good debate, and while we all think that we correct, good points are made on both sides.. They do not want destroy me , nor I them, because we think differently from each other. I do not wish them to be offended and I think most are not in the true sense of the word. But it appears that one religion in particular has got into difficulties moving into modern times, and is the biggest threat to society. As I said before, I look forward to the time that some of these religions move out of medieval times and into the modern world. That can only happen when, as with other religions, its adherents understand the limitations of the texts they revere and move forward. Only you can do that when you start thinking for yourself., which from the cut and paste you slap about you are not doing yet.

January 24, 2011 at 9:05 pm |
    • Muneef

Evolved DNA.
      Did not mean to hurt any one but if we change our words to suit each other there would be no debate? Beside I can not change or omit God's words and message that is supposed to reach mankind....am not thinking about attacking Christians nor Jews nor attests nor pagans but my message is rethink are you in the right path?do you have no doubts? This is not a matter of being polite or not it is about giving people a chance to think of their fate and destiny...the fires they would meet is no comparable to the hurts of my words... This is a message that we have to relay otherwise why is there blogs about faith ? And who does not want to listen to faith in fear of hurt why they join here? Why should for example atheists be here if they do not believe or do not want to hear about what supposedly God have said in the holy books? Am confused now and can't figure out who is the intruder here? Who does not want to hear,see,believe and do not want others to do as well???!

January 24, 2011 at 9:26 pm |
  20. Muneef

Be careful not to lose your brains

January 24, 2011 at 6:15 am |