home
RSS
January 26th, 2011

Osteen gets serious on sex, prosperity and politics

By Eric Marrapodi, CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

By now you have likely seen or read that megachurch pastor Joel Osteen told CNN’s Piers Morgan he thinks homosexuality is a sin. For years Osteen has been dinged by religious critics as a theological lightweight - for talking too much about sunshine and not enough about sin. But the television preacher with the megawatt smile put his cards on the table in his hourlong interview with Morgan.

Osteen, who is rich, said it would be an insult to God to apologize for that blessing.

He tried to shake off the label of prosperity gospel preacher.

And yes, he said he thinks homosexuality is a sin.

Morgan pressed Osteen for a clear-cut answer on the topic of homosexuality in the taped interview with Osteen and his wife, Victoria, for "Piers Morgan Tonight," set to air at 9 p.m. ET tonight on CNN.

Morgan asked Osteen about the “moral maze” of homosexuality, asking him point-blank: “Is homosexuality a sin in your eyes?”

“Yes," Osteen answered. "I've always believed, Piers, the scriptures shows that it's a sin. But you know, I'm not one of those that are out there to bash homosexuals and tell them that they're terrible people and all of that. I mean, there are other sins in the Bible, too.”

Osteen continued his answer and said, “I think sometimes the church - and I don't mean this critically, but we focus on one issue or two issues, and there's plenty of other ones. So I don't believe homosexuality is God's best for a person's life. I mean, sin means to miss the mark.”

Homosexuality is a hot topic Osteen had previously deflected.

His massive Lakewood Church in Houston, Texas, is independent and not tied to a larger denomination. As a result, Lakewood is theologically independent and does not fall under broader denominational beliefs on religious issues like homosexuality.

Osteen took the pulpit at Lakewood after the death of his father, who had been the pastor. The younger Osteen has been criticized for, among other things, his avoidance of difficult theological issues. Morgan suggested to Osteen that he was prepared for the question on homosexuality even though he had not spoken on this issue in the past.

“I think I've grown in my knowledge," Osteen said. "I mean, those first interviews. I mean, this was all new to me. I mean, I wasn't - I didn't go to seminary. I wasn't - I was raised in this, but not in front of the camera. But I think this point - people say I don't - that I don't talk about sin.

"But I do talk about how we live our life, and making good choices. And at the end of every one of our services I talk about that I believe the greatest sin, and that's to miss the mark of not knowing your creator through Christ,” Osteen said.

Morgan went on to push Osteen about Elton John and his civil partner in England, David Furnish, asking if he though they were sinners.

“It's strictly back to what the scripture says," Osteen replied. "I mean, I can't grab one part and say God wants you to be blessed and live an abundant life, and not grab the other part that says, you know what? You know, live that kind of life. So I just - you know, it comes back to the scripture. I'm not the judge. You know, God didn't tell me to go around judging everybody.”

Osteen rose to prominence in large part because of his television ministry. He said 7 million people watch his show each week. His books have sold more than 20 million copies, bringing the pastor and his wife great financial success.

The Osteens went back and forth with Morgan on the topic of finances. Joel Osteen said he does not draw a salary from his church; instead he said he draws money from his book royalties and DVDs.

He was unapologetic about his financial wealth. For the interview he wore a finely tailored suit and shirt, which Morgan went to great lengths to point out. Osteen said he and his wife have given away millions.

Morgan asked Osteen if he ever felt guilty for his wealth. He replied, "I don't ever feel guilty because it comes from - it's God's blessings on my life. And for me to apologize for God's - how God has blessed you, it's almost an insult to our God."

Osteen continued, “There is a religious - I call it a spirit or something that says we have to be poor and broke and defeated and sad to show people that we're really humble, and that we really love God. And I don't believe that. I believe God wants us to be examples of what it means to live for him. And that our money is to be a blessing to others.”

There is a thin line between "prosperity gospel" - which commonly refers to some pastors who say God wants you to be happy, healthy and rich - and what Osteen preaches about finances. Osteen repeatedly said he is not a proponent of that version of Christianity.

"I get categorized into this guy that's a prosperity preacher. I don't even believe in that. I mean, that's not the focus. The main things I'm talking about is how you can excel," he said.

Osteen also told Morgan he does not drink or smoke, never dated a woman other than his wife, and that he votes regularly. Osteen said he voted for Republican John McCain in the 2008 presidential election after spending time with the Arizona senator.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Belief • Christianity • Homosexuality • TV • United States

soundoff (1,034 Responses)
  1. Vlajos

8000 years? Like how god told the Jews how to run their lives only to change it on a whim by killing his son/himself on a roman cross?

January 26, 2011 at 2:08 pm |
    • chris

the entire od testiment talks of the Savior to come. It talks of a sin bearing servant, the animal sacrifices show the price of sin, and prepared the jews to recognize the sacrifice of the Savior to come, the camp containing the tribes of Isreal in the wilderness was laid out in the shape of a cross, Psalm 22 speaks of the death of Jesus centuries before it happened, in the beginning of the bible, Genesis 3:14-15, God tells Satan that he will be destroyed by the Seed of Eve, being Christ.. During the passover, during the Jews time of slavery in Egypt, God told the Jews to sacrifice the passover lamb, and paint the blood on the two sides of the door posts and on the top of the door, outlining a cross shape on the door....this blood protecting the Jews from the plagues that God would release on Egypt during that time..and Jesus being the lamb, the ultimate sacrifice for our sins, pointed to the person of Jesus Christ...
      There's tons of examples of how the Old Testiment points to Jesus.... It's said that the Old Testament is the New Testament concield, and the New Testament is the Old Testament revealed

January 26, 2011 at 2:18 pm |
    • chris

edit: OLD testament, not "od".... although it can seem that way sometimes

January 26, 2011 at 2:30 pm |
  2. Not All Docs Play Golf

Someday, when it's all over...if it doesn't end the way religious evangelists think...if there is no heaven/hell afterlife, if it turns out that all their beliefs were indeed just manufactured by humans and handed down generation after generation, just think how much energy would have been wasted following something that turned out not to be real, vs. that energy having being used to improve life when we could have, in more rational ways.

January 26, 2011 at 2:06 pm |
    • Steven

think about spending an eternity in hell. Thats a bigger loss my friend.

January 26, 2011 at 4:52 pm |
    • LUG1

Ok so speaking for my life only..... I have been irrational providing emotional support to sick, lonely, and poor people? I have been irrational by assisting those who are hungry with food? I have been irrational by taking invalids to the doctor? I have been irrational by congregating with others and offering kind words and building them up? I have been irrational by offering hope to the hopeless? I have been irrational by helping strangers in a time of need? Can you tell me about the better ways to spend my time? The beautiful thing is Jesus loves you whether you love him back or not.

January 26, 2011 at 5:58 pm |
  3. H Meyer

After reading many of these comments, it saddens me to see how the human gene pool has been compromised. 3 billion years of evolution drained away by dogma.

January 26, 2011 at 2:01 pm |
    • chris

and after 8,000 years of God showing us time and time again that He can be trusted, and that he loves us, it saddens me when people reject Him.

January 26, 2011 at 2:03 pm |
    • Sirena

@chris love like floods, famine, cancer, burning down cities, intolerance, and hatred?

January 26, 2011 at 2:13 pm |
    • chris

God has a hatred for sin, He's a jealous God – jealous for us. This is His plan, not ours, and we can't know the ins and outs of it. All we know for certain is that he provided a way out of sin and death, and that's through Jesus Christ....He could have left us alone on this earth, with all the trouble that happens here. God isn't out to get us..it was our choice to be disobedient, and it's our choice to come to terms with the sin in our lives and to draw closer to Him.

January 26, 2011 at 2:25 pm |
    • chris

And really, just studying the bible shows you that God doesn't equate His love to being super comfortable here on earth. Look at the life of His son.... did Jesus have it easy? Did the apostals have it easy? They were all beaten, stoned, crucified.... Being a Christian does not guarentee worldly comfort, and it doesn't mean that you're going to be protected here on earth from all evil...but it does mean that we're saved when this life is over.

So that's also why Joel Osteen irks me a little, saying that his money and wealth is Gods blessing on his life.... Rich people aren't favored by God, but they're not disfavored either. God makes it clear that he shows no partiality to people.

January 26, 2011 at 2:29 pm |
    • Maybe

chris,

Was it our choice to be born? According to your scenario, "God" is creating hordes of new people every second, knowing that they will suffer, and knowing exactly which ones will be sent to 'hell' for eternity... and creates them anyway – a monster, if I ever heard of one.

January 26, 2011 at 2:32 pm |
    • Sirena

Chris correct me if i am wrong but jealousy is a sin right?
      Sorry im not in to a god with double standards.

January 26, 2011 at 2:35 pm |
    • chris

as I said, each of us is given a choice. We can either choose sin and separation from God, pretend He doesn't exist without even looking into it, or we can go beyond what instincts tell us, give God a chance, learn that He actually IS there, and choose fellowship with Him and eternal life with Him.
      He's not breeding us to send us to hell, He's creating us to be His servants! He makes Himself evident when you actually look. I'm a former athiest turned Christian just 2 years ago.... I gave the bible an honest look, and tried to study it to dislodge the Christian argument. I wound up believing, and it's just been awesome. I encourage you to check it out rather than brush it off....give it an honest look, and look to have your questions answered rather than allow them to be stumbling blocks.

January 26, 2011 at 2:38 pm |
    • chris

it's a righteous jealousy. God created us, but Satan has us... He's angry about sin and wants us back. He's jealous that we put other things in front of God... It's not the usual "omg I'm so jealous that Spencer is totally going out with Heather, I'm gonna punch him in tha faceee" God is our Creator, he has the right to be jealous over sin.... In fact the bible says that His NAME is Jealous, among other things.

January 26, 2011 at 2:41 pm |
    • Sirena

If god is all knowing past present and future. Then is safe to say that when he created lucifer he knew what was going to happen. Therefore god also created sin knowing what sin would do.
      Why be a part of that?

January 26, 2011 at 2:45 pm |
    • chris

well, like or or not you ARE a part of it. What this has done though has given God servants that love Him, servants that choose to be with Him. He didn't want to make robots that automatically choose to love Him... He created this world to have a choice....we can choose to obey him or choose not to. The consequences are not His doing, the consequences are just the opposite of a life with Him. He loves us enough to give us exactly what we choose. If we want to choose sin and destruction, we're welcome to go that way. If we choose Him and recognize Him as Creator and Savior from sin, He welcomes us with open arms.
      God isn't intent on destroying you.... I think that's where peoples relationship with God suffers the most, they confuse Him with the destroyer.....There is one who's intent on destroying you though, and he's the one that decieves you and keeps you from coming to the truth.

January 26, 2011 at 2:52 pm |

It comes down to this.
      God is love. Love always has a choice. My wife can choose to be with me or to leave me....It means more to me that she's home with me every night because she chooses to, not because she's forced to. God says he will never leave me nor forsake me, so I'm the one who chooses to leave.... Love goes both ways, it's not one sided, and it always has a choice.

January 26, 2011 at 2:57 pm |
    • chris

going back to work now though Sirena, hope you have a good day. Good questions

January 26, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
    • Sirena

2 Things:
      No. If god is all know and things are in gods will we actually do not have a choice because he already knows what our choice is.
      Number 2: what exactly was gods intent with the floods? Or soddam and gammorah?

January 26, 2011 at 3:03 pm |
    • chris

Ok, just checked back real quick.... But then for real I'm leaving...

The flood..... Not one righteous person nor one person with any ounce of good in them was left on the earth, so God had to start over with Noah. There is evidence for a world-wide flood and Noah's ark. Look into it – Answers in Genesis .com,

Soddom and Gommorah – these two cities were so deep in sin, God had to make an example out of them. He did rescue Lot from Soddom before this occured....he wasn't entirely righteous, but he wasn't as deep in sin as the rest of the city. Pretty much any of your questions can be answered by the bible... I'm not a bible, so I can't answer everything...I've only been studying it for just less than 2 years.....but it's shown itself sufficient to me. Read it and study it and I guarentee you that any of these questions or inconsistancies you see CAN be answered.

January 26, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
    • chris

and to answer your number 1 question.... God might know what we ultimatly choose, but I don't think that we know.... Two years ago, I had no idea that I'd be defending the bible.

His word says that he shows no partiality to people, He doesn't play favorites. He's trying to reach each one of us. He gives us each a chance to know Him.... So ultimately, you need to find out what YOU choose.

January 26, 2011 at 3:12 pm |
    • Sirena

I have read the bible and studied it for more than 10 years, when read it was i not reading it to disprove anything i was a devoute christian. The more i read it the more inconsistencies there were.
      Here is one. Only noah and his family were left? how did they repopulate? Incest (which is a sin)? How did Adam and Eve populate the world for that matter?
      God will never forsake you, but lest we forget Jesus' last words: And about the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, "Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?" that is, "My God, My God, why hast Thou forsaken Me?"
      Im not asking you to answer these because I have asked pastors and they cannot answer it so i expect you to.

January 26, 2011 at 3:17 pm |
    • Sirena

So i *dont* expect you to.
      Sorry about that

January 26, 2011 at 3:19 pm |
    • chris

Good questions, and I remember hearing something on the "why have you forsaken me" bit, but I know that Jesus was quoting a psalm at that point, it was a scripture reference to point to what He was going through on the cross.

As far as Noah populating the world, my pastor wrote out a diagram a couple years ago which explained it, but that is a good question. I don't remember. Don't let these things be stumbling blocks though – work through them, persist with faith. Search for a Calvary Chapel in your area, if there are any. They go verse by verse through scripture, and usually their pastors are really knowledgable.
      I really hope you can work these questions out, because it's a shame to throw it all away because some questions are unanswered.

January 26, 2011 at 3:22 pm |
    • chris

but ok, I'm going to lose my job if I continue... I just really want to make sure I've done all I could to answer your questions.

January 26, 2011 at 3:23 pm |
    • Sirena

Last comment and im done too.
      I went to Calvery Chapel in Santa Ana Cali for 10 years.
      Also, i do not consider questioning everything a stumbling block.
      Jews according to the old testament are gods chosen people... therefore he does play favorites.
      I do not want to be a part of a religion that is responsible for hate, intolerance, death, and war.
      To top it off I am gay, I realized i was gay when I was 10. I do not want to be a part of something that says I am going to hell because i was born a certain way. And no, no amount of prayer can make me straight, believe you me i tried it whole heartedly. And no i was not molested nor did i have any trauma or anything like that. Well that is until i came out... then the emotional trauma began... interestingly by those loving awesome Christians out there... thanks but no thanks.
      I will live my life as a good person and if god is real and me being a good person is not good enough for him then i am probably better off in the pit of fire.

January 26, 2011 at 5:13 pm |
    • LJ

Sirena there are churches, pastors and Christians out here that do not believe ho-mo-s3x-uality is a sin. The belief that it is not a sin is based on reading the text and putting it into historical context. It’s unfortunate that Christianity tends to be part of the foundation of hatr3d against ho-mo-s3x-uality. Look around you there are people out there that will love you, offer you true friendship and support your lifestyle. Peace be with you.

January 26, 2011 at 5:52 pm |
    • Bob Dobbs

"Servant"-... How belittling. Why would I want to be anybody's servant? Much less be a servant to a "jealous god"?
      Sounds like a stalker... Humanity doesn't do what this "God" wants us to so.... he gets jealous and vindictive.
      "disobedient" – Why would I want to be condemned as "disobedient" just because I have thoughts and questions?

January 27, 2011 at 2:08 pm |
    • Sybaris

Chris, there is a pristine meteor impact crater in Arizona that disproves any notion of a global flood. Additionally, using biblical chronology, there are structures all over the earth from the era of the alleged flood that show no signs of flooding. Finally, if the flood story were true there would be kangaroos in Turkey, grizzly bears in Israel, and orangutans in Egypt. Regardless, Answers in Genesis is notorious for junk science and continuously moving the goal posts to accommodate believers.

January 27, 2011 at 4:03 pm |
    • CatholicMom

Sirena,

I hopes this sheds some light on your question about Jesus’ cry on the Cross….

Psalm 22 and Mark 15:24 and Matthew 27:35 are closely related…. “Eloi, Eloi, lema sabachthani” which is translated, ‘My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?’ Remember the New Testament lies hidden in the Old Testament and the Old Testament is revealed in the New Testament.

This cry of Jesus’ is not a cry of despair but of final faith in God to His very death; He did not give up His relationship with the Father. This is what we Christians are to do at our very deaths and anguishes we carry…have faith to the very end…persevere and endure to the end just as Jesus did.

When we suffer pain through loss of anything or carry a particular cross ….we either choose to carry it or turn to dispair. Just as Jesus in the Garden at Gethsemane prayed a prayer of anguish to the Father, “Abba, Father, for you all things are possible; remove this cup from me; yet, not what I want but what you want.” [Mark 14:35-36; Matthew 26:39] He went back to the Garden three times and prayed the same prayer. To follow in Jesus’ footsteps we can ask that our cup of sorrow be lifted but at the very end of our thought we should accept whatever the Father wills for us. Remembering that He can take our sufferings and join them to His….taking our pain and using it for a good.

We can see the good that His sufferings gained for us….the hope of eternal life with Him in Heaven; before His gift to us of salvation, we were hopeless. He can take our pain, too, and gain for us some peace where we may have none, or a good for someone else. We can find grace and the love of God in our sufferings and find that we can draw closer to Him….to the very end.

January 28, 2011 at 11:20 am |
    • CatholicMom

Sirena,

Having a fear of God and Knowledge of God will bring peace when confronted with the dilemmas you mentioned. Satan has much to do with these dilemmas…he brings them on…God allows it. Satan does ‘it’ in hopes that people will lose their faith saying things like, ‘I hate God who can do these things!’ But sometimes it back-fires on satan and people actually draw closer to God when confronted with sufferings.

God can take a bad thing and turn it into a blessing for the one suffering or for others….in any case, we can find peace in our suffering when we realize that God knows what to do with it.

People who are lukewarm in their faith as in ‘neither hot nor cold’ [Apocalypse 3:16, Douay-Rheims Bible] cause Jesus Christ to want to start to vomit us out of His mouth. Satan’s evil can cause us to leave our ‘lukewarmness’ and become hot or cold. If a person becomes totally cold in their faith, it can cause another to become totally hot!

The greatest evil that caused the greatest good to come from it was Jesus Christ’s crucifixion…dying and rising so that all might have life ever-lasting. Yes, that is an example of real love.

January 29, 2011 at 1:54 pm |
  4. Jackie

I have seen and enjoyed listening to Joel on t.v. I have also seen him at the New Yankee Stadium for $10. You will never get into Yankee Statium for $10!! I enjoyed the statium and was able to be blessed by his message. $10 well spent! You can't even see a movie for $10 anymore. So why do you complain? I don't send money to Joel because he NEVER asks for money in his half hour show. I give to my local church. IF YOU WATCH the show at the end of each show he tells you to get involved in YOUR LOCAL church not HIS. I think you should do all your research before you speak ill of someone. Besides at the end of the day the only judgement is from the Lord and everyone else will just need to back off!!

January 26, 2011 at 1:59 pm |
    • chris

Joel is a false teacher though, and we need to watch out for them. He goes by an "everyone is saved" doctrine, and that the attonement of Jesus isn't necessary for salvation. Yes Jesus died to cover the sins of the world...meaning that His sacrifice was SUFFICIENT, but we still have to make that choice and ACCEPT IT based on our knowlege of our own sin nature. Read his interview with Larry King. You can't avoid the topic of sin if you're preaching the gospel; people need to be confronted with themselves... we don't just have grace and mercy just for the heck of it, that's only half the gospel. We are sinners, sin stands in the way of our relationship with God, and we need the Holy Spirit in our lives to make us effective for His purposes.

January 26, 2011 at 2:08 pm |
    • Steve the real one

Hi Chris,
      I personally never heard him say "everyone is saved". IF that is true, his ministry is false. I do however, believe his teaching is not in balance! Jesus taught about hell, sin the devil, troubles, trials, tribulations, and such. In order to present the FULL gospel, pastors and teachers HAVE to do the same! An out of balanced gospel is dangerous because it can cause people to fall away (especially when troubles come).

January 28, 2011 at 9:58 am |
  5. Knucklehead61

Perhaps the Old Testament is a lie told by God to lead us to the Truth.

January 26, 2011 at 1:59 pm |
    • Vlajos

If one actually read the whole bible from Old to New books, you would have to believe god did this. Of course, why would one want to follow a god who changes the rules on a whim?

January 26, 2011 at 2:05 pm |
    • CatholicMom

Knucklehead61

The New Testament lies hidden in the Old Testament and the Old Testament is revealed in the New Testament.

January 28, 2011 at 9:31 am |
  6. Frank

All of these comments putting this man down for making the money he makes through the hard work he does is pure jealousy and ignorance and nothing more. If you were in his shoes, you would be singing another tune and not giving money away by the millions. He gives as it is described in the Bible plus some. It does not brag but is humble about his giving since he realizes not all of us can give as much as he does. Kim K gives 10% – that is less than what Osteen gives. You can find quotes in the Bible to support almost any point of view and is one of the reason why there are so many Christian religions and none of them can agree on anything. Osteen's message is simple and is about living your life with enjoyment and happiness – not about judgment, negativity and putting people down. His point about gays is simple – it is his view it is a sin but sin is what all of us do. There is not one of us who lives a sinless life – even Osteen has admitted that himself. Maybe Morgan, a Roman Catholic, is an exception but I doubt it. If you can not see the goodness of this man then you are blinded by your own biasised feelings and anti-religion beliefs. And that is fine. I do not believe you can live a full life being full of yourself and your lack of spiritual life. But I wish all of you critics well for you are such a sorry bunch – bitter, jealous and lost. May your life become more abundant. And read or listen to one of his books/CDs – most cost $6 less than an album from your favorite bad yet has more value in making your life journey happier than any musician has ever done. Bottom line is Osteen is a good man. Try to find a man who is even close to his good nature, kindness and uplifting spirit. It is not just a man of God, he is is motivational inspiration to millions. You do not obtain such success without substance and true meaning.

January 26, 2011 at 1:59 pm |
    • Sybaris

Wow, he's got you pimpin' for him too!

January 26, 2011 at 2:49 pm |
    • Allen Goffinet

Frank, Well said ....my friend. It sad that people empty in Christ can speak and say harsh things...but as I said they are without Christ. God is love, and these comments , are not of love.

January 26, 2011 at 3:10 pm |
    • exohioan

At last an intelligent response. Thank you for posting Frank.

January 26, 2011 at 6:45 pm |
  7. james

I totally agree with Brad. why arent we looking at Facebook inventor ( his making billions ) and we are not concern about that and a man whos making money through book selling and DVD royalties its a crime? come on.. we should move on with this. Pierce need to ask a better question in his interviews. As far as i've seen, he interupts his guest and not allowing them to finish their conversation.

January 26, 2011 at 1:58 pm |
  8. C. Eric Jacobson

For everyone, especially those who are quoting the scripture of Christ telling the rich man to go and sell all that he has and that Osteen wouldn't ever do that.....my question to you is, would you? Even at your measly (compared to Osteen"s) salary, would you go and sell your house, cars, give up your cell phones, iPads, iPods, Starbucks coffee and empty your bank accounts and give it to the 'veteran' on the street corner in order to follow Christ?

We Americans and all 'first world' countries have a hell of a lot more than the rich in the bible.

January 26, 2011 at 1:58 pm |
    • Vlajos

No, but I also don't care what the bible says. Other than for a laugh and some insight into how people 2000 years ago thought about life.

January 26, 2011 at 2:03 pm |
  9. Risky

Everty so often I get a check from an oil company to which my Parents made an investment so many years ago.
    I have a few friends that ask me if I feel guilty getting this money. I say..... HELL NO !!!
    I say ..... if you are poor ....and it's not a choice..... maybe God does not think you are a good steward of the money.
    So shuddup....

I think Joel is doing an EXCELLENT job....i buy his books / and cd's all the time....and I watch him on TV all the time.

rest of you ..... Judge not

January 26, 2011 at 1:57 pm |
  10. jeb boulware

he is a snake oil saleman at best; a cancer on nature, reason, and logic at worst!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 26, 2011 at 1:57 pm |
  11. EB

No one does it like Benny Hinn... I'm a huge fan because he's the perfect example of one of these guys, making money off of the weak n stupid.

January 26, 2011 at 1:56 pm |
  12. N. Hale

That part of the interveiw, which was the only part I saw, consisted of Piers Morgan being an arrogant English dick and making Osteen repeat the same thing for five minutes. I respect Osteen for standing by his beleif in scripture and not being a judgemental bible-thumper that Morgan appeared to want to make him out to be. Piers Morgan is a stuck-up a** and should go back to judging talent shows.

January 26, 2011 at 1:56 pm |
  13. wordsdontmatter

no comment

For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

January 26, 2011 at 1:56 pm |
  14. Joel

Why is it that no one ask's Depak Chopra how many books he have sold or how rich he is or whta he spends his money on? . The y all do the same, they write a book's sell millions of copies and collect royalties. The diffrence is simple christians are supoused to be poor in the eyes of the secular world. Its just part of the journalist mind that comes from american idol mind's or british got talent?!!. keep selling joel, life is like a dolar u can only spend it once.

January 26, 2011 at 1:55 pm |
  15. SilverChair

I'm a very devout Christian, and the Osteens give me the creeps.

January 26, 2011 at 1:55 pm |
    • Steve the real one

I am not creeped out by them, my issue is their message is not balanced. Yes while God is love, the balance is he is also the righteous judge! While you can be happy, the balance is faith will be tried! Happy is fine, joy is better! It is all about being balanced!

January 26, 2011 at 3:30 pm |
  16. JG

Wow, they look like Ken and Barbie. And they are so hypocrites and freaks!!! The next and new verison of Jimmy and Tammy Faye...so sorry for them and really sad.

January 26, 2011 at 1:54 pm |
  17. nitrous

I'd do his wife.

January 26, 2011 at 1:51 pm |
    • screename12

You are a sick individual.

January 28, 2011 at 11:22 am |
  18. Kevin

"All of us have sinned and fallen short of God's glory" Romans 3,23 – Sin are sins don't matter how we call it, Sin is Sin. I know God blessing is not when we have a Lot or Less, We are Bless when we truly live in the Grace of Christ.

January 26, 2011 at 1:50 pm |
  19. Sybaris

What’s the difference between Bernie Madoff and Joel Osteen?

Nothing

January 26, 2011 at 1:50 pm |
    • nitrous

Bernie Madoff is a Jew who thought a Ponzi Scheme was a loophole and Joel Osteen is a non-Jew who found a divine loophole.

January 26, 2011 at 1:55 pm |
  20. H Meyer

Hey Michael, at that bible college you attended,,,did they offer their most popular course, "How to Separate Social Security Recipients from their Benefit Checks"?

January 26, 2011 at 1:50 pm |