home
RSS
Your thoughts on Chick-fil-A flap
February 7th, 2011

Your thoughts on Chick-fil-A flap

Lots of you weighed in on our post about the Chick-fil-A controversy and what it means for the future of the company - with most expressing support for the fast-food chain.

JS in Northeast's comments echoed the sentiments of many readers:

I am so sick and tired of political correctness and people/companies being vilified for the choices they make. We live in the United States where people/companies have a freedom [to] choose who their friends/business partners are. If someone or some group gets offended because of this, tough. Get over it and move on. We have freedoms here in the U.S. to do as we want.

Some commenters went further, criticizing those who are pressuring Chick-fil-A's management to reverse its opposition to gay marriage. Writes CJ:

So Chick-fil-A is being accused of being ant-gay by the gay population. What is their intent? Is it to make them pro-gay? Isn't forcing your beliefs on others wrong too? If you don't like them, just stop going to their restaurants. This is sort of hypocritical to say we don't like your views so we're going to force my views on you and you'll like it. This is a conservative religious group that owns the chain, it's their right to back whoever they want if they are independently owned and operated.

Here's a Chick-fil-A critic who goes by Tdogg and who is apparently gay but nonetheless supportive of the company's owners' right to oppose same-sex marriage:

Chick-fil-A can take whatever stance they want – it's a free country after all. If the owners want to spend their profits supporting anti-gay organizations, so be it. Just don't be surprised if gay people don't want to frequent their establishment, and have their money go towards the anti-gay cause. That's a product of a free country as well – it goes both ways. It's not "PC" it's just what it is. My choice is to not eat at Chick-fil-A, and therefore, not have my hard earned money go to organizations who do not believe I'm an equal citizen. Pretty simple actually. All that and their food isn't all that great anyway.

But another commenter, westcoaster, implies that Chick-fil-A should stay in the Bible Belt - and that there's more at stake in the flap than a company's right to express a political opinion:

All of you thumpers, you keep doin' what it is you do best, and do it way over there, OK? Keep your "delicious sandwiches" and your deridingly witty observations way-down-there, or at the very least in that vast morass commonly referred to simply as the "fly over zone."
...
Many of you seem to be calling out from that infamous Matrix of small town cruelty. Please stop and consider that human rights are SO important, and ALWAYS worth standing up for. It is a vicious game, to call someone out on a lack of respect of freedom, when those exercising their "rights" infringe upon others. Freedom has everything to do with balance; mutual respect. It's not a party unless everyone gets to come.

And then there's David from California, who says a prayer for all fast food patrons:

Maybe you can pray that your arteries won't clog with all that grease from their food. May God bless your new super-sized form. Pray for reinforced pews at your church.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Christianity • Gay marriage

1. mimi

Thank God For Chic Fil A ........there is always HORMEL for the meatier lovers...........

February 7, 2011 at 11:50 pm |
    • Reality

Long live fried, former pigs, Spam!!!

February 7, 2011 at 11:52 pm |
  2. Mark Wagner

Among other questionable positions, here is a supposedly Christian company earning profits from the wholesale torture of millions of helpless animals. How can Christian people think it is OK to raise and slaughter these birds under inhumane conditions just to make a buck. Christian love extends beyond human beings – the nature of this factory farming makes this company a bunch of hypocrites.

February 7, 2011 at 11:28 pm |
    • Reality

Mark,

Do you think a dumb chicken should get more respect than a helpless, pruned peach tree or a helpless soybean plant recently harvested? Chickens actually have more laws protecting them than most other living helpless things created by your god.

February 7, 2011 at 11:50 pm |
  3. CSCorbo

Mmmm... Chick-fil-A... I applied for a franchise myself, but was soundly rebuffed for not being Christian enough in their eyes... No explanation given; just a "thanks, but no thanks". I've never eaten there, but have been told it's delicious. God Speed Chick!

February 7, 2011 at 10:59 pm |
  4. Dillan The Villan

Religion is faith and there are many forms of faith. At the end of the day, we're all betting ours is right. The commonality in all faiths is respect for each other – fellow mankind. Those who fly the "I am right, you are wrong so you should be punished" flag, make me smile at their lack of fully understanding their own faith – the inconsistency they openly display.

Would those that point the finger of hate at gays and lesbians also do so to Jews and Catholics? Hindu's and Muslims? Jesuits and Mormons?

Grow up, realize we are all here trying to get through life with our own coping mechanisms. Maybe if we did that, things might be a bit more civli.

Who was it that said the back porch was invented by Christians so their neighbors wouldn't see their sins?

Was it YOU?

February 7, 2011 at 10:58 pm |
  5. tallulah13

This "article" cracks me up. It's just a compilation of quotes that support an unknown author's opinion. Everyone had the opportunity to read the original posts. This is just an effort to throw gasoline on the fire.

February 7, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
  6. MindiK

What's Christian about fried food? I thought our bodies were a Temple! Quite contributing to heart disease and obesity! Provide more healthy choices. THAT would be Christian.

February 7, 2011 at 10:08 pm |
    • Reality

Actually, you can get a very healthy meal at Chick-Fil-A. For example, try their salad with or without the chargrilled chicken, http://www.chick-fil-a.com/Food/Meal--

February 7, 2011 at 11:39 pm |
  7. Mandi

I think we as christians need to support Chick-fil-a! They are standing up for what is right.....If you dont like their veiws, go eat somewhere else. God will take care of their business. People need to get a grip, get a job, and quit majoring on the minor things. Reality is.....Jesus is returning soon, and are our hearts ready to meet Him?

February 7, 2011 at 9:49 pm |
  8. Joel Weymouth

What really blows my mind is CNN is picking this – but ignores George Soros- underwriting the Muslim Brotherhood to put the Middle East into turmoil and thus increase oil to over $100 a barrel, which enriches HIM. He is not a philanthropist – he is Jewish and his family and he collaborated with the Nazis in order to "stay alive". I am not going to judge that – a man fighting for his life – its wrong – but I can understand. But what he is doing now in the Middle East HURTS EVERYONE. And all for his own enrichment.

And all the media outlets ARE SILENT. It is easier to pick an a "smallish" Franchise Fast Food firm.

February 7, 2011 at 9:33 pm |
    • K. Mason

Joel said, "....George Soros....he is Jewish and his family and he collaborated with the Nazis in order to "stay alive". I am not going to judge that..."

CNN may want to report on the Beckian re-invasion of CNN.

February 7, 2011 at 9:41 pm |
  9. HotAirAce

They have a right to their opinion, and I have the right to take my business elsewhere and to advise others to do the same. "Word of mouth" advertising is often the most influential, so they may be taking on more risk than they think, especially as they move out of the bible belt.

February 7, 2011 at 7:48 pm |
  10. Topkitty

Chick-Fil-A has the right to do what they want too. I don't eat there because I don't want to support them either. Honestly though I think I'm the one losing out. They are very good sandwiches...............

February 7, 2011 at 7:14 pm |
  11. Reality

February 7, 2011 at 5:28 pm |
  12. JohnQuest

I have no issue with them, I don't spend my money there, I just wish I had the same choices when it comes down to my taxes.

February 7, 2011 at 5:14 pm |
  13. K. Mason

Oh! How sad it is that corporations can wield so much monetary might against others.

Chick-fil-A can do whatever they want. They can believe however they want.

I would not withhold my business simply because its management held a belief–be it religious or political.

However, Chick-fil-A is not simply "believing" or even "speaking". When a company or its owners use their profits to donate to organizations I disagree with, I would prefer not to have contributed to their success. I will not be eating there.

February 7, 2011 at 4:47 pm |
  14. TheRationale

It is the sheer definition of hypocrisy what so many of these posters are writing.

This particular Christian chain is anti-gay. It is actively attempting to impede the rights of others and/or be hateful to them.
    To turn around and complain that people become anti-Christian when they hear such bigoted drivel epitomizes hypocrisy. You? The Christians? You're the persecuted ones, the victims? Look at what you are doing this very moment!

I can cherry pick the Bible, too.
    Matthew 7:1 Judge not lest ye be judged.

Each of you is hypocritical, each of you is bigoted. Each of you is just as Christian as you say you are.

February 7, 2011 at 4:46 pm |
    • HeavenSent

The (un) Rationale, Judging Is Believing.

Yes, and why, even of yourselves, do you not judge what is right? (Luke 12:57).

What is right?

The statutes of the Lord are right (Psalm 19:8).

Amen.

February 7, 2011 at 8:01 pm |
    • TheRationale

Oh look, Christian circular reasoning:

What the Bible says is right
      How do we know that?
      Because it says so in the Bible
      How is that helpful?
      Because what the Bible says is right.

My gosh, could you possibly resurrect a more unconvincing line of thought? Do you ever dust off the left side of your brain?

And don't give me this baloney of "Well now you're judging." Yeah, I'm judging you by your own standards – hence the whole point of what I'm saying. By your logic, the Bible is judging those people who judge, contradicting itself. Clearly not the point.

And if you want to go about name calling, my moniker is TheRationale because I, unlike you and many others, actually apply logic to situations, as demonstrated above. Although perhaps the fault is mine – I shouldn't expect someone believing in ancient tales about magic and deities to value rational thought in the first place.

February 8, 2011 at 10:53 pm |
    • GoodGrief

TheRationale, instead of insisting on mocking God's wisdom yet, you have to know that you know absolutely nothing of His spiritual teachings. Just because you can pick and choose some scriptures to make a point, doesn't mean you comprehend His spiritual message. Your mind is still at the carnal level and you need to practice His spiritual teachings in order for your eyes to see, ears to hear.

February 9, 2011 at 1:47 pm |
    • Magic

GoodGrief,

Why do you believe that the Bible is the word of a god?

The Koran says that it is too. So does the Book of Mormon. L. Ron Hubbard claimed to have the 'truth'. Any Joe Schmoe can say that he had a magical 'revelation' and write a book.

February 9, 2011 at 1:55 pm |
  15. WiseOwl

Go Chik-Fil-A! Go! A business has a right to support the causes it wants just as an individual does. If they stood up and said they supported Wiccan, Pagan, Hindu or American Indian spirits they'd be cheered. When you stand up for Jesus you get jeered. If you don't agree with their business philosphy – don't buy their product. And by the way, I'm a Christian and I'm not going to hide my light under a basket just to make you feel comfortable. If my faith makes you uncomfortable – good! – it means you need the Light of Christ more than any one.

February 7, 2011 at 4:21 pm |
    • gretchen

Yes, chick fil urp, go away. FAR away.

February 7, 2011 at 4:55 pm |
  16. CW

@ All,

I absolutely agree with this restraunt....I will always support them. G-AY Lifestyles are wrong...period....no discussion...no grey area here.

February 7, 2011 at 4:14 pm |
    • TheRationale

Ah well, that's where stone age philosophy lands you I suppose.

February 7, 2011 at 4:30 pm |
  17. pete

I love chick-fil-a. I don't have a problem with g-ay people.

February 7, 2011 at 4:07 pm |
  18. Jon Dixon

It's suppose to be a free society to choose your beliefs, religions etc. As usual, there are some who wish to force their opinions and beliefs on others. Wake up and smell the roses. This company has done no wrong. I know an operator personally who has donated food to all causes, including the American Red Cross. Is that a crime also? To those who have nothing to do constructively, Get busy and put you wasted energy to work. Chick-Fil-A has a solid customer base that can withstand the changes in culture! They are not picking and choosing as some groups would like to think. Facts folks!!Not myths.

February 7, 2011 at 3:10 pm |
    • Selfish Gene

They are free to run the business and donate however they like. Religion has its place. Now if they campaign for a senate seat, we gonna have a problem.

February 7, 2011 at 3:43 pm |
  19. HeavenSent

Many, not all, gay folks in this country hate Christians. Why? Because they can not hear or do not care to hear our concerns for their spiritual being (soul). They assume that Christians are picking on them, denying them the right to live their lives the way they want to etc. That is the furthest from the truth. Actually, it's a out and out lie. We tell you what Jesus told us (you would know what He told you too if you read and comprehended the Bible (His truth), His letter to ALL of us) and not what phony baloney preachers want you to hear. Christians are trying to explain that everyone is judged by what we do while housed in human form while living on this earth. Jesus detailed what He expects from us righteous thoughts, beliefs, acts versus unrighteous, thoughts, beliefs, acts while living on this earth in human form. Besides His directives, He wants all of us to love Him and follow His teachings. He died on the cross for all our sins, not just a few of us, ALL OF US. He died for all of us to defeat death and give us eternal life.

With that said, it's the same saga throughout the history of time ... He erased all our memories of Him so that we through free will would love and follow Him so your spirit will live and flourish down on earth and then eternally with Him, or love and follow satan (evil) and not only does your spirit die while housed in human form, you will die spiritually as well because of rejecting Jesus spiritual teachings He wrote to all of us (the Bible).

Christianity is NOT a religion, it is the truth about life and the afterlife.

Amen.

February 7, 2011 at 3:09 pm |
    • Selfish Gene

"Christianity is NOT a religion, it is the truth about life and the afterlife."

I get the feeling you are trolling for a fight.

February 7, 2011 at 3:42 pm |
    • Ron

Having ate at Chick-fil, I found their food to be so-so. Nothing spectacular.
      However, since they are contributing to these groups, I'll gladly take my money else where.
      Heaven sent-
      That is your religion and what you believe. I'm not Christian nor do I believe in it or its god. I have my own Gods, listen to them and do just fine. I don't need second best. Also, I'm gay and really not concerned what the bible has to say on the matter or what your god thinks on the matter, according to you.
      Thankfully, life continues, as it has. SSM will happen because NO religion has 'say' on the laws of this land, nor should ANY religion have that say or power. So, believe as you wish, I'll simply ignore your words and be happy in my life, knowing I don't have to be afraid of you, your words, your religion and especially your understanding of deity.

February 7, 2011 at 4:00 pm |
    • TheRationale

Ah yes, and Chick-a-Fil isn't a fast food joint.

February 7, 2011 at 4:12 pm |
    • TheRationale

Dang, there goes my witty comeback.

Chick-fil-A, not Chick-a-Fil...oops

February 7, 2011 at 4:15 pm |
    • Bob

> Christianity is NOT a religion, it is the truth about life and the afterlife.

February 7, 2011 at 4:27 pm |
    • gretchen

Your remarks "...They assume that Christians are picking on them, denying them the right to live their lives the way they want to etc. That is the furthest from the truth. Actually, it's a out and out lie. We tell you what Jesus told us (you would know what He told you too if you read and comprehended the Bible (His truth), His letter to ALL of us) and not what phony baloney preachers want you to hear. ...< are completely FALSE. My WIFE and I are full Christians, United Methodist, and we have been to 4 Pride celebrations with the fundies outside the gates, screaming and wailing like banshees and forcing small childen to hold anti-gay signs that are bigger than them.

One day in 2007, a so-called "Christian Ukrainian man" in our city MURDERED a gay man and then skipped the country, like the COWARD he is. What was his victim's "crime"? Being gay and being at a picnic with others. His MURDERER punched him in the face, Satinder Singh fell backwards and hit his head on a rock, severely injuring his spinal cord and never woke up. By this time, his MURDERER had called for backup, threw a glass bottle at a pregnant woman to prevent her from getting his license plate number, and fled, along with his COWARD thugs. One day, he will be caught, and made to stand trial for MURDER.

yeah. That's just SOOOO Christian. Nobody is "picking on" Christians. TRUE Christians don't throw rocks at or spit on GLBTs and our supporters.

February 7, 2011 at 4:53 pm |
    • GoodGrief

Bob, funny that you should bring up the zombies comment. Practicing Christians know that folks who refuse to learn His wisdom are spiritually dead for which you referred to as zombies.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "Bob, Christianity is NOT a religion, it is the truth about life and the afterlife.

Yep, because if I was going to put faith in a book, it'd be one that promotes the concept of zombies."

February 9, 2011 at 1:27 pm |
  20. RodRoderick

Chick-fil-a has always been a christian based organization. Go read "Romans" Chapters 1 – 4 if you think they have strayed from the message.

February 7, 2011 at 2:47 pm |